PDA

View Full Version : KD vs Melo: Who's the Better Scorer?

CityofChaos
01-24-2014, 11:33 PM
Its crazy to think how just one week later from Durants insane 54 point performance that Melo breaks the season high tonight with 62 points. They are both great scorers.

Question is: Are they equally as good in terms of hitting from different spots on the floor? If not, who do you think edges it?

SPURSFAN1
01-24-2014, 11:45 PM
KD can drive to the hoop all day. He is the better scorer.

DreamShaker
01-24-2014, 11:47 PM
Melo is a better post player. Durant is a better shooter. Durant is also more creative. Both are throwbacks to those 80's small forwards like King, Nique, English, and Dantley who could score in just about every way possible.

meloman1592
01-24-2014, 11:48 PM
durant is better at driving to the rim, melo is better in the post
Durant is a better 3 pt shooter, melo is a better mid range shooter
Durant is better at catching and shooting, melo is better at pulling up

Durant takes smarter shots and maximizes what he is good at, therefore durant

shep33
01-25-2014, 12:04 AM
I love Melo, but the reality is Durant is better than him at everything, including scoring

xxplayerxx23
01-25-2014, 12:12 AM
I love Melo, but the reality is Durant is better than him at everything, including scoring

I'd give melo the edge in boards. Clearly durant is better but scoring it's close durant is better driving 3 point shooting
Melo is better mid range area, better post I think the difference between the two is shot selection

Sadds The Gr8
01-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Durant easily

Avenged
01-25-2014, 12:15 AM
I don't even like the guy but Durant.

xxplayerxx23
01-25-2014, 12:16 AM

You don't like durant :faint:
Didnt think anybody didn't like him lol

Avenged
01-25-2014, 12:18 AM

Lakers have had their share of playoff matchups with the thunder and their scuffles in regular season.

Master Mind
01-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Melo. He has more of a repertoire

IversonIsKrazy
01-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Like ppl have said, Durant is the better ball-handler, Melo has a better post-game. Durant has the better 3pt shot & catch-and-shoot. Melo is better pull up, equal on mid-range shots I'd say. Overall, I'd give the nod to Durrant for his better efficiency and tendency to shoot better shots.

Chill_Will_24
Who didn't see this thread coming? Durant easily but damn what Melo did tonight was impressive even against the Cats

holditdown
Wow can this thread be locked?

Easily Kevin Durant.

shep33
01-25-2014, 12:24 AM
I'd give melo the edge in boards. Clearly durant is better but scoring it's close durant is better driving 3 point shooting
Melo is better mid range area, better post I think the difference between the two is shot selection

This year true, but even career-wise KD still tops him there. Gotta remember that Melo also runs the PF spot in NY, and you can get away with it out east. KD averages 7.7 and he plays the 3 primarily.

KD has a higher rebound % as well.

Still, I think Melo is a beast on the glass when he wants to be. This year he's been great in that department for sure

Master Mind
01-25-2014, 12:25 AM
I don't see how it's easily KD

*Superman*
01-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Slim Reaper.

xxplayerxx23
01-25-2014, 12:29 AM
This year true, but even career-wise KD still tops him there. Gotta remember that Melo also runs the PF spot in NY, and you can get away with it out east. KD averages 7.7 and he plays the 3 primarily.

KD has a higher rebound % as well.

Still, I think Melo is a beast on the glass when he wants to be. This year he's been great in that department for sure

Melo has been playing the 3 a majorty of the year. But yeah durant is def the supieror player

shep33
01-25-2014, 12:32 AM

Superior efficiency while still scoring more ppg. Also shoots better from 3 (this year it's pretty even, but career-wise KD wins). Also shoots better from 2 and from the line.

KD is +10% in TS% over Melo

shep33
01-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Melo has been playing the 3 a majorty of the year. But yeah durant is def the supieror player

That's my bad then. :cheers:

Overall though, KD is a career-wise better rebounder though, albeit slightly. I actually like Melo, think he gets a bad rep because of his team.

holditdown
01-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Superior efficiency while still scoring my ppg. Also shoots better from 3 (this year it's pretty even, but career-wise KD wins). Also shoots better from 2 and from the line.

KD is +10% in TS% over Melo

Great post. What part of more points and greater efficiency do people not understand?

kobebabe
01-25-2014, 12:35 AM
May be you should ask this: was Melo as good as Durant is at his age? I don't think so. Durant is a much better overall player. I would take Durant any time over melo

holditdown
01-25-2014, 12:36 AM
Can we close this thread?

There really is no point considering the answer is obvious.

More-Than-Most
01-25-2014, 12:38 AM
62 Points and 0 assists.... That is um a great game but I am not sure I have ever seen that

shep33
01-25-2014, 12:40 AM
62 Points and 0 assists.... That is um a great game but I am not sure I have ever seen that

Haha Kobe probably did it.

Sadds The Gr8
01-25-2014, 12:46 AM

then look harder.

tredigs
01-25-2014, 12:47 AM
Highly debatable and probably not true to say Melo has a better midrange game (stats don't back it up). As overall scorers the proof is in the #'s, they aren't close. Not saying Melo can't get hot and put on a showcase, but this debate was put to rest years ago.

todu82
01-25-2014, 12:50 AM
Yeah, Durant on this 1.

Sadds The Gr8
01-25-2014, 12:50 AM
Highly debatable and probably not true to say Melo has a better midrange game (stats don't back it up). As overall scorers the proof is in the #'s, they aren't close. Not saying Melo can't get hot and put on a showcase, but this debate was put to rest years ago.

I was gonna say this. looking at the shot charts and #s it's even at best for this season if you're arguing in Melo's case. dont care enough to look at the past years

More-Than-Most
01-25-2014, 12:52 AM
Haha Kobe probably did it.

Honestly I would love to know for sure. That seems so silly to me in a bad way. You know they were doubling melo and I get he was still scoring but holy **** pass the ball.

KingsnQueens7
01-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Kd!!!

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-25-2014, 12:56 AM
Lol at all these threads

koreancabbage
01-25-2014, 12:59 AM

IT HAS BEGUN. Durant is hated on.

P&GRealist
01-25-2014, 01:02 AM
Melo.

I'm not sure what type of consistent scorer Durant would be without his ridiculous number of free throw attempts and opposing defenders called for ricky tack fouls against him.

tredigs
01-25-2014, 01:03 AM
Melo.

I'm not sure what type of consistent scorer Durant would be without his ridiculous number of free throw attempts and opposing defenders called for ricky tack fouls against him.

The best in the game.

Joshtd1
01-25-2014, 01:06 AM
Personally think Melo has a more versatile offensive game, but he takes worse shots. He settles quite a bit IMO, but to be fair he takes a lot of punishment without getting calls when I see him play. Might get tired of taking the beating for no reason. KD is the better shooter though. Guy is always open because he comes off screens it seems, whenever I see him play. It also helps when you have a much better team around you though.

Joshtd1
01-25-2014, 01:07 AM
IT HAS BEGUN. Durant is hated on.

I don't like him either. He is annoying as hell to me, and is one of the biggest babies in the NBA now. Cries about everything, but I guess that comes with being pampered by the refs.

P&GRealist
01-25-2014, 01:09 AM
The best in the game.

Don't recall mentioning LeBron in my statement.

KniCks4LiFe
01-25-2014, 01:14 AM
Oh god :facepalm:

RaiderLakersA's
01-25-2014, 01:15 AM

This is the credited response.

Given a choice between the two, I'd pick Durant all day.

Duncan = Donkey
01-25-2014, 01:16 AM
Durant

Kaner
01-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Honestly I would love to know for sure. That seems so silly to me in a bad way. You know they were doubling melo and I get he was still scoring but holy **** pass the ball.

I googled it

"Anthonyís 62 points came on 23-for-35 shooting, 6-for-11 on three-pointers and 10-for-10 from the foul line. He added 13 rebounds and didnít register an assist in 39 minutes. Anthony becomes just the second player since the 1985-86 season to register 62 or more points without tallying an assist, joining Bryant, who had an assist-less 62 points against the Mavericks on Dec. 20, 2005."

http://nba.si.com/2014/01/24/carmelo-anthony-62-points-knicks-bobcats-madison-square-garden/

ThaDubs
01-25-2014, 01:24 AM
It's hard but I'd say KD. Just because of his consistency. He's leading the league in scoring while shooting over 50% from the field. But I love Melo too, and he's definitely a close second in my opinion. I hate when people call him a chucker and a non-superstar. The guy is efficient and he is most definitely a superstar. Great rebounder now too.

tredigs
01-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Don't recall mentioning LeBron in my statement.

We're talking scoring here, where if you wipe out all fts, KD is the best in the game. Keep up.

P&GRealist
01-25-2014, 01:32 AM
We're talking scoring here, where if you wipe out all fts, KD is the best in the game. Keep up.

No way. guys like KD and Harden need the free throw line. Get free throw attempts, see the ball go thru the hoop several times, and get in a rhythm. Make 10 field goals, score 37 amongst 15-17 free throw attempts.

That's the way these guys score.

Guys like Melo and Kobe can attempt less than 6 free throws in a game and still drop 40.

ThaDubs
01-25-2014, 01:39 AM
No way. guys like KD and Harden need the free throw line. Get free throw attempts, see the ball go thru the hoop several times, and get in a rhythm. Make 10 field goals, score 37 amongst 15-17 free throw attempts.

Guys like Melo and Kobe can attempt less than 6 free throws in a game and still drop 40.

You don't understand. STATISTICALLY, if you take out all free throws, KD still averages more points than Melo per game.

numba1CHANGsta
01-25-2014, 01:39 AM
Soo you post this thread after Melo scores 62 against the Bobcats at home creating a debate of who's a better scorer? lol Let Melo do this in 8 games straight and then post this thread. KD is easily the better scorer

tredigs
01-25-2014, 01:47 AM

Hahaha do you actually believe this drivel or are you just trolling? The perfect irony being that KD dropped 46 with exactly 6 fts on the Blazers two games ago. I'd explain further but it would be pointless, you don't watch hoops.

shep33
01-25-2014, 01:49 AM
Hahaha do you actually believe this drivel or are you just trolling? The perfect irony being that KD dropped 46 with exactly 6 fts on the Blazers two games ago. I'd explain further but it would be pointless, you don't watch hoops.

He's trolling.

shep33
01-25-2014, 01:51 AM

Misinformed and inaccurate

Max.This
01-25-2014, 01:52 AM
He's trolling.

Durant is the better scorer, melo is the better rebounder. Melo also has a very quick second jump if he misses near the basket he almost always get the rebound. Durant just shoots a lot better and can get the shot off because most 3's even 4's dont have durant's wingspan. Not many people even get their hands close enough to even distract kevin when he shoots

RipCity32
01-25-2014, 02:12 AM
Durant, But when Melo is feeling nobody is stopping him. Melo is in that conversation with just about anybody as far as scoring goes.

Kenny
01-25-2014, 02:25 AM
Durant is the better scorer, melo is the better rebounder. Melo also has a very quick second jump if he misses near the basket he almost always get the rebound. Durant just shoots a lot better and can get the shot off because most 3's even 4's dont have durant's wingspan. Not many people even get their hands close enough to even distract kevin when he shoots

Melo on open three's is shooting like 65 percent this year which was much higher than Durant. This was a couple weeks ago before Durant went on a tear, but Melo is an amazing catch and shoot player. Melo isn't anywhere near Durant aound the rim since he isn't close to athletic. Melo doesn't get many easy buckets. Look at the highlights of tonights 62 and how many layups/dunks did he get. 2?

P&GRealist
01-25-2014, 02:31 AM
Misinformed and inaccurate

Looks like I struck a nerve Jerry.

tredigs
01-25-2014, 02:37 AM
Melo on open three's is shooting like 65 percent this year which was much higher than Durant. This was a couple weeks ago before Durant went on a tear, but Melo is an amazing catch and shoot player. Melo isn't anywhere near Durant aound the rim since he isn't close to athletic. Melo doesn't get many easy buckets. Look at the highlights of tonights 62 and how many layups/dunks did he get. 2?

Not sure how it's fared over the past few years, but this season Melo's had a clear edge in catch and shoot (no dribbles and <2 seconds outside of 10 feet), and KD's had the clear edge in pull ups (>1 dribble outside of 10 feet).

Simplistic conclusion there would be that Melo's been the better open shooter and Durant's been better at creating his shot.

Kenny
01-25-2014, 02:47 AM
Not sure how it's fared over the past few years, but this season Melo's had a clear edge in catch and shoot (no dribbles and <2 seconds outside of 10 feet), and KD's had the clear edge in pull ups (>1 dribble outside of 10 feet).

Simplistic conclusion there would be that Melo's been the better open shooter and Durant's been better at creating his shot.

You're 100 percent correct. This is why Melo is an insane Olympic player.

FOXHOUND
01-25-2014, 03:27 AM
Soo you post this thread after Melo scores 62 against the Bobcats at home creating a debate of who's a better scorer? lol Let Melo do this in 8 games straight and then post this thread. KD is easily the better scorer

1) Saying doing that against the Bobcats like it's an insult is stupid. They have been a top 10 defense all season and before tonight ranked 7th in DRating and 5th in Opp FG%. Scoring 62 points vs anyone is a great feat, let alone a top 10 defense and in a game where you don't play the last 7 minutes. He shot 23/35, 6/10, 10/10 and had 0 TO's, it was a masterful performance so stop hating and learn to appreciate the game.

2) Saying let Melo do this in 8 straight games, which I assume is alluding to Durant's hot stretch like Melo has never done anything like that before, is also stupid and misinformed. The media keeps comparing it to stretches by Kobe, LeBron, TMac and others but I've yet to see Melo's name brought up as if he has never had a stretch like this.

Umm, how about LAST SEASON,

In April Melo averaged 36.9 PPG and 9.9 REB in, oddly enough, 8 games with a .538/.467/.838 shooting line. He scored 40 points on 60% in three straight games, 50 points vs Mia on 69%, 41 points vs Atl on 63% and 40 points vs OKC on 60%. During that stretch he had a 7 game run averaging 38.6 PPG on a .556/.500/.837 shooting line, 10.6 REB and an absurdly low 1.6 TO.

Why does NO ONE remember this? Bunch of media sheep clowns lol.

Hell, I haven't even seen Amar'e's 9 game 30 point run in the 2010 season mentioned anywhere either. Amar'e averaged 34.4 PPG over 9 games shooting .594 from the field and .877 from the line. I guess it's not quite as impressive but let's see where Durant's totals are after 2 more games, who knows? These are recent stretches of similar nature that should at least be mentioned but what do you expect from garbage like ESPN?

Anyways, to answer the thread, Durant is a better scorer everyone knows this. Durant is on his way to scoring title number 4, and he's only 25. He's going to challenge Jordan as the best scorer of all time barring some major injury down the line. Talking about 4 scoring titles in a 5 year span at a time where the league has excellent scoring talent is beyond impressive, and he hasn't even reached the surface. By the looks of it Durant will one day have one of those 35 PPG seasons or similar that Jordan and Kobe had, as long as Westbrook doesn't keep him from doing it.

Melo is a great scorer, Durant is just potential best scorer of all time great.

tredigs
01-25-2014, 03:31 AM
^I like this post, definitely right on the selective memory on some of Melo's feats.

FOXHOUND
01-25-2014, 03:42 AM
^I like this post, definitely right on the selective memory on some of Melo's feats.

Yes, Melo gets overlooked all the time because he's disliked for whatever reason. The fact is this kind of high efficient scoring outburst isn't even that surprising looking at Melo's history. Of his now four 50-point games he's never shot less than 60% in any of them. There was tonight, 62 on 65%, the Mia game, 50 on 69%, also a 50 on 66% and a 50 on 60%. He also has a 49 point game on 76% and a 47 point game on 79%.

In fact, of the 31 games Melo has scored 40 or more points in he has shot 60% or better far more times (13) than he has shot less than 50% (4), and only one of those four was an actual bad FG% at 43%. He has shot 70% three times in those games, 42 on 13-18, 49 on 19-25 and 47 on 19-24 and has been at 55% or above in 20 of the 31 games.

Melo going for crazy high efficient scoring outbursts actually isn't anything new, this is just his best one to date.

Chill_Will_24
01-25-2014, 04:20 AM

Yes, Melo gets overlooked all the time because he's disliked for whatever reason. The fact is this kind of high efficient scoring outburst isn't even that surprising looking at Melo's history. Of his now four 50-point games he's never shot less than 60% in any of them. There was tonight, 62 on 65%, the Mia game, 50 on 69%, also a 50 on 66% and a 50 on 60%. He also has a 49 point game on 76% and a 47 point game on 79%.

In fact, of the 31 games Melo has scored 40 or more points in he has shot 60% or better far more times (13) than he has shot less than 50% (4), and only one of those four was an actual bad FG% at 43%. He has shot 70% three times in those games, 42 on 13-18, 49 on 19-25 and 47 on 19-24 and has been at 55% or above in 20 of the 31 games.

Melo going for crazy high efficient scoring outbursts actually isn't anything new, this is just his best one to date.

Nobody hated Melo before he became a Knick. The Knicks are hated. Their fans make it too easy to despise the Knicks and relish their failures.

They are the Tiffany Pollard of the NBA

Melo is a great player and I hope he goes to CHI this summer so he can finally know what a competent team could do with him.

Rose, Butler, Melo, Noah is a very good core

2-ONE-5
01-25-2014, 07:10 AM
KD by alot. he doesnt have to play iso and hero ball to go off and while he is going off hes still passing, playing, d and rebounding

Jamiecballer
01-25-2014, 08:22 AM
Nobody hated Melo before he became a Knick. The Knicks are hated. Their fans make it too easy to despise the Knicks and relish their failures.

Melo is a great player and I hope he goes to CHI this summer so he can finally know what a competent team could do with him.

This isn't true. Melo isn't "hated" period. He's disrespected by people who prefer efficient team oriented basketball.

If it seems like he's become less popular as a knick its probably because he's now proven that it has nothing to do with his teammates.

It literally could have been any team he went to.

Anyways, to the thread question its Durant with considerable ease. You can't remove shot selection, its a skill like the rest.

GiantsSwaGG
01-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Durant :laugh: why does this question always gets asked?

GiantsSwaGG
01-25-2014, 09:23 AM

Melo was always hated and rightfully soo...

I do agree about the fan base... What does some Knicks fan have in common with Wavey, Jmoney and DMF, they'll single handedly destroy a fan base!

Yankeefan213
01-25-2014, 09:49 AM
I wanna say Melo cause he's my favorite player, but it is clearly Durant. He is much more efficient and takes better shots. Melo gets the edge in the post though.

holditdown
01-25-2014, 12:27 PM
If it's a bait thread why is it still open?

D-Leethal
01-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Melo has more weapons, Durant makes use of his weapons better, Durant is the better scorer.

waveycrockett
01-25-2014, 02:11 PM
I would say Melo has a more selfish mentality which his only advantage over KD as a scorer. He could have done the samething last night against the Bobcats if his only goal was to drop 60+ but he is more interested in getting the win and getting teammates involved. Melo was stat padding last night that game was over in the 2nd quarter.

ManningToTyree
01-25-2014, 02:31 PM
KD by alot. he doesnt have to play iso and hero ball to go off and while he is going off hes still passing, playing, d and rebounding this thread is about scoring so that is irrelevant.

I say KD but by a slim margin. They both can do it all. Melo is better in the post but KDs efficiency puts him over the top IMO

holditdown
01-25-2014, 03:12 PM
this thread is about scoring so that is irrelevant.

I say KD but by a slim margin. They both can do it all. Melo is better in the post but KDs efficiency puts him over the top IMO

Disagree. KD is better in the post than Melo. The post is a place on the floor. Durant can score from anywhere on the floor.

Yet, KD recognizes the high post is the not as efficient as the rim, 3pt line or free throw line. So he doesn't go there as much as Melo.

It's quite simple.

KnicksorBust
01-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Dont feel like reading ... did anyone actually say Melo?

JNA17
01-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Durant is a more consistent scorer if that makes any sense.

Although I will say that if both were on fire against each other, I would give the slight edge to Melo. Durant on fire is one thing, but Melo on fire...that's a whole other story. But only when it happens XD.

Jamiecballer
01-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Dont feel like reading ... did anyone actually say Melo?

yes, a few.

Goose17
01-25-2014, 04:31 PM
Durant and it's not even close. Melo is criminally overrated.

Hawkeye15
01-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Melo is in the class of "handful of good volume scorers every generation". Durant is going to to challenge as the greatest scorer to ever play.

Melo can get hot and put on a show at any point. But Durant is automatic basically every time he steps on the floor for an extremely efficient night scoring 30.

Long story short, Durant by a mile, and growing...

PurpleLynch
01-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Durant overall.And if all goes smoothly for him,maybe he'll be regarded as the best scorer of all time.
I really admire Melo(and his play) for what he's doing all nights with the Knicks,trying to save a sinkin' ship(captain Dolan's fault,obviously),but I don't think he will be recognized as high as Durant.He's an amazing scorer,with a slightly better post game right now.But Durant is still 25 and he's walking a path that leads only to greatness.Melo is 29 and even if he reached a great achievement,that few can hope to reach,he is still below Durant(unless he shows us in his future years something of fantastic and it's unlikely to happen imo).

Really,really like Melo though.He's a warrior and he's doing a thing of beauty this year.

benny01
01-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Melo. He has more of a repertoire
this, i think Melo can do everything Durant can do plus some, and Durant is better from the wing. I think that is quickness though. Melo's a lot bigger, way more inconsistent, and shows far less effort night in and night out. On just ability and nothing else, Melo

Jamiecballer
01-25-2014, 07:59 PM
this, i think Melo can do everything Durant can do plus some, and Durant is better from the wing. I think that is quickness though. Melo's a lot bigger, way more inconsistent, and shows far less effort night in and night out. On just ability and nothing else, Melo

well, ya. if we are disregarding basketball IQ, good shot selection and all that i agree. it's Melo.

mrblisterdundee
01-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Considering Durant's better in every offensive statistical category over his entire career, and his teams have done better, I'd have to say him. Too bad you didn't post a poll, so we could all see how one-sided opinion is on this.