PDA

View Full Version : That feeling that durant has POTENTIAL to be the GOAT?!

Singhkumar9219
01-24-2014, 01:41 PM
From a championship stand point Kevin Durant has alot to do still. But from a talent standpoint he is truly one of a kind. His height,his ability to score at will in an efficient manor not to mention his court vision is beginning to develop very nicely. Because of his wing span hes always been a decent rebounder as well. I know hes gonna win the MVP this year unless westbrook comes back and messes it up for him (makes him a little less aggressive). I think he is starting to make his case for being a little bit better than lebron from the standpoint that he is learning how to be a better leader and being able to fully control the game. From a defensive standpoint he has alot of improvement but with that being said I think he can be the best we have ever seen. They say that lebron is better than jordan because he bigger fast and stronger, Well durant is way bigger than both of em and his game is becoming scary to face. He has an insane jumpshot, deceptively athletic,shots 90% from the stripe and on top of that has that killer mentality that we rarely see.

Kevin Durant Current Stats
.536 9.0 10.2 .882 0.7 7.0 7.7 5.1 1.5 0.8 3.3 2.2 31.0
Micheal Jordans Best Season
.546 8.8 10.5 .841 1.7 3.8 5.5 5.9 3.2 1.6 3.1 3.3 35.0
Lebron James Best Season
.602 5.3 7.0 .753 1.3 6.8 8.0 7.3 1.7 0.9 3.0 1.4 26.8

ManRam
01-24-2014, 01:48 PM
The GOAT scorer? Maybe.

Best overall player ever? Well, he's got A TON to do. Too early to be talking about it. While he was historically awesome last year, and LeBron overshadowed him and thus people kinda didn't appreciate KD as much as they should have (which is fair, LBJ would have overshadowed just about anyone ever), we are talking about a guy who has been the clear best player for maybe half a season now. I don't feel comfortable delving into "GOAT" talk when that's the case. He's gotta dominate the league and stand out as the league's best for quite some time, and that hasn't come close to happening yet. Not to say he can't, because my god is he good.

Even to pass LeBron will take him a good 4-5 years of this type of play, and probably also demand that he stands out above LeBron for a huge portion of that. Overall, he's about at where LeBron was last year and maybe his last two years in Cleveland (tho, slight nod to KD right now...we'll see if he can sustain it).

Not trying to make this a comparison between the two because that's a tired topic right now. But if we're truly talking GOAT, his first step is obviously to separate himself from LeBron. That's his peer, and you can't be the GOAT unless you first topple all your contemporaries.

kobebabe
01-24-2014, 01:51 PM
GOAT? Really? He is a great scorer yes but GOAT? It's way too early for this kind of discussions. KD is great and all that but fans are making him less interesting

chi-townlove1
01-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Come on man. I love him as much as the next guy, but I much preferred his quiet dominance much rather than this every other day nonsense thread about him.. Mods should create one big Lebron thread and one big durant thread and then just let you all go at it.

Jetsguy
01-24-2014, 01:53 PM
People are going way to hard on KD over what he has done for 2-3 months it is crazy. He is a gifted scorer no doubt, and has ability unlike we have seen for the most part but he would have to sustain this for YEARS to even get in the conversation. He has only arguably been better than Lebron on a team with less go-to options for 2-3 months.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-24-2014, 01:56 PM
oh boy :laugh:

chi-townlove1
01-24-2014, 01:56 PM
And to make matters even worse, Lebron and Kobe have only sniffed Jordan, and kd hasn't even sniffed them. No one. NO ONE will ever touch MJ's 35 a game season. Nor will they claim the goat. KD has top 20 potential though

LAKobeBryant
01-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Ok he's getting too much attention and being over hyped now.... No doubt that he's second best nba player right now but saying he's better than Lebron and now MJ gotta stop. I remember Gilbert and tmac had a scoring tear similar to durant also.

tredigs
01-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Nice random line of stats you made there to compare the 3.

And do some people now just entirely forget guys like Kareem and Wilt existed?

I can't stand* this thread, but not as much as the people who this has the ability to actually affect their opinion of him. Have your own thoughts, people.

tredigs
01-24-2014, 02:02 PM
And to make matters even worse, Lebron and Kobe have only sniffed Jordan, and kd hasn't even sniffed them. No one. NO ONE will ever touch MJ's 35 a game season. Nor will they claim the goat. KD has top 20 potential though

Plenty of greats have reached that level of dominance for a year or two.

holditdown
01-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Ok he's getting too much attention and being over hyped now.... No doubt that he's second best nba player right now but saying he's better than Lebron and now MJ gotta stop. I remember Gilbert and tmac had a scoring tear similar to durant also.

Just because some random poster who has no idea what he's talking about doesn't make him overhyped.

The hype that KD is getting for his recent play is neither overblown or understated IMO. He's having a tremendous season and an incredible month. The people who appreciate it for what it is without hyperbole are fine with me though.

A perfect example of overhyped is Derrick Rose.

chi-townlove1
01-24-2014, 02:08 PM
You talking about MJ's year? ^ I'm just saying, there was never a more complete or better player than Michael Jordan. I know hypotheticals are pointless here, but Michael could have scored on anyone at anytime and for however many points he wanted. On top of that he could guard anyone and should have been the defensive player of the year for about 8 years in a row. But there's no fun in that for the league..

D-Leethal
01-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Put down the PCP. That feeling will eventually go away.

beliges
01-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Durant as GOAT? I don't think so however a great argument can be made that he has surpassed lbj this year. Certainly one can no longer argue that lebron is far and away the best in the league as Durant has proved this season that he is every bit as good, if not better so far this year.

Avenged
01-24-2014, 02:27 PM
"llullz"

TheNumber37
01-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't have Durant passing Bird... ever. So... nope on the Goat thing. Though he could break into the top 5 scorers of all time at his pace.

ghettosean
01-24-2014, 02:30 PM
You talking about MJ's year? ^ I'm just saying, there was never a more complete or better player than Michael Jordan. I know hypotheticals are pointless here, but Michael could have scored on anyone at anytime and for however many points he wanted. On top of that he could guard anyone and should have been the defensive player of the year for about 8 years in a row. But there's no fun in that for the league..

He could have also won MVP for like 8 consecutive years also but I just think the NBA was tired of giving it to him to be honest... LOL.

The year Karl Malone won it over him :facepalm: Jordan was clearly the better player stats wise and record wise but they just decided to give it to Malone... LOL.

The greats get forgotten too easily... I can't count how many times I've heard Lebronites tell me he's the GOAT :facepalm:

I will say KD could be the best scorer ever from anywhere on the floor because he's just unreal at times but that's where it ends.

ManRam
01-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Apparently I handled this too politely :laugh: Didn't wanna look like a "hater".

But yeah. This should be laughed at right now...even as good as he is. He has boatloads and boatloads of work to do.

"Could he"? It's certainly FAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR more unprobable than probable. At least wait until he is, again, considerably better than his contemporaries before starting to worry about this ****.

chi-townlove1
01-24-2014, 02:35 PM

He could have also won MVP for like 8 consecutive years also but I just think the NBA was tired of giving it to him to be honest... LOL.

The year Karl Malone won it over him :facepalm: Jordan was clearly the better player stats wise and record wise but they just decided to give it to Malone... LOL.

The greats get forgotten too easily... I can't count how many times I've heard Lebronites tell me he's the GOAT :facepalm:

I will say KD could be the best scorer ever from anywhere on the floor because he's just unreal at times but that's where it ends.

I hear ya man. It's these young guns that think Michael and others are irrelevant now because it was "a different game" back then.

Slug3
01-24-2014, 02:47 PM
I feel like if you didn't watch basketball in the 80s/90s you should be banned from making posts like this.

nickdymez
01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Im sorry, I cant post here anymore

beliges
01-24-2014, 03:09 PM

MJs highest scoring season was 37ppg. He never had 35ppg. You are confusing that with Kobe's 35ppg when he got 81 and 63 in 3 and etc... But one cannot blame a Bulls fan for confusing Kobe with MJ :)

Bruno
01-24-2014, 03:12 PM
lets wait until he racks 3+ ships and five-seven more years of dominant basketball. he and all OKC fans should be content with the fact that he's having the best season in the NBA this year. go sonics.

Chronz
01-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Its looking like he may have a shot, but so did Bron at one point, now its looking like a longshot. Still, I have more faith in Durant because the holes in his game have evaporated .

Id put money on him

Goose17
01-24-2014, 04:02 PM
People are getting carried away now.

xxplayerxx23
01-24-2014, 04:05 PM

Thank god one less kobe homer.

FlashBolt
01-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Durant will surpass Bird. He's a top 10 player.

TheIlladelph16
01-24-2014, 05:12 PM

And all of PSD rejoiced. :clap:

Don't let the door hit ya on the *** on your way out.

Thank god one less kobe homer.

Lol

Shkelqim
01-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Seriously? Enjoy his play and don't make stupid threads such as this.

dodgersuck
01-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Greg oden is the GOAT

b@llhog24
01-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Potential? Sure. Not likely though.

b@llhog24
01-24-2014, 06:41 PM

There's always a silver lining somewhere.

Kaner
01-24-2014, 06:41 PM
MJs highest scoring season was 37ppg. He never had 35ppg. You are confusing that with Kobe's 35ppg when he got 81 and 63 in 3 and etc... But one cannot blame a Bulls fan for confusing Kobe with MJ :)

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but Jordan had both a 37 and then the following year a 35ppg season. If you are going to call someone out at least double check your facts....

As for the OP all he's saying is Durant is showing the POTENTIAL to be in the discussion that for years now it was thought that the only player in the NBA that could possibly touch MJ was Lebron. You don't put up Durant's numbers so far this season unless you have a crazy high ceiling whether he can maintain it or win the championships that define a players career obviously remains to be seen but I agree with the OP that the potential could be there.

Riodagoat
01-24-2014, 07:16 PM
WTF this thread lol

JordansBulls
01-24-2014, 07:20 PM
Can't be the GOAT when you have already lost with HCA as the man.

eibbor
01-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Seriously?

I think that feeling you are feeling is the alcohol.

beliges
01-24-2014, 07:54 PM
not sure if this is sarcasm or not but jordan had both a 37 and then the following year a 35ppg season. If you are going to call someone out at least double check your facts....

As for the op all he's saying is durant is showing the potential to be in the discussion that for years now it was thought that the only player in the nba that could possibly touch mj was lebron. You don't put up durant's numbers so far this season unless you have a crazy high ceiling whether he can maintain it or win the championships that define a players career obviously remains to be seen but i agree with the op that the potential could be there.

lol. Ok.

Chronz
01-24-2014, 08:05 PM
lol. Ok.
Did u check ur facts like he suggested or just lold?

Hawkeye15
01-24-2014, 08:07 PM
I do believe he will go down as the NBA's best scorer ever. But he isn't as well rounded as a nice chunk of all timers. I do love how KAJ and Wilt still get ignored. Hell, LeBron still needs to pass them, and Durant is a looooooooooooooooong ways from passing LeBron. Everything needs to go right to climb into the top 2-3 list. Good luck Durant (I mean that not insulting, just in reality).

beliges
01-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Did u check ur facts like he suggested or just lold?

I simply LOL'd at his post because it made me LOL. Lots of LOL posts on here.

3RDASYSTEM
01-24-2014, 08:41 PM

Any legend could score 1 on 1 basically anytime

JORDAN got smacked around by the bad boys in the 90's so that makes it factual and no he couldn't lockdown DREXLER/ZEKE or SMITH/MILLER, they got theirs also, JORDAN just scored more points, JORDAN may get his 35-40pts but they would get 20-25pts, that's not shutting down anybody

JORDAN also got swept out of playoffs averaging 44ppg when he needed to drop 54ppg to win that series and couldn't do it

Chronz
01-24-2014, 08:50 PM
I simply LOL'd at his post because it made me LOL. Lots of LOL posts on here.

Agreed, urs made me lol but I still wanted to inquire. Check the facts , because im interested as well, who knows maybe u were right but it would be nice to know the facts first, then I can lol with you as opposed to at you.

Waddya say buddy o mine

3RDASYSTEM
01-24-2014, 08:51 PM

Can't be the GOAT when you only won 6 rings in 15 yrs and another player has 11 in 13 yrs

can't be the GOAT when you beat old and injured teams for breakthrough to first title after being owned for years by the same team, had not STERN altered the rules for JORDAN he wouldn't have beaten the BLAZERS or the PISTONS at all

so in order to be GOAT you have to lose your first 6yrs then win next 3 rings then retire for a full year and a half, get beat then 3 peat again and come back and play for a bottom feeder and do amazing things at 40yrs of age? guess so according to your book

Tony_Starks
01-24-2014, 08:56 PM
If you guys keep pumping him up he's going to start getting the type of hate typically reserved for Kobe and Lebron. The haters are already mad that "he doesn't get any criticism."

Just let the kid be great....

tredigs
01-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Who taught this guy that it was beneficial or sane to capitalize random PROPER nouns?

b@llhog24
01-24-2014, 08:59 PM

Because doing it Jordan's way is the only way right?

I do believe he will go down as the NBA's best scorer ever. But he isn't as well rounded as a nice chunk of all timers. I do love how KAJ and Wilt still get ignored. Hell, LeBron still needs to pass them, and Durant is a looooooooooooooooong ways from passing LeBron. Everything needs to go right to climb into the top 2-3 list. Good luck Durant (I mean that not insulting, just in reality).

Well KAJ tends to be at the top of most lists. Other than him most bigment like Wilt, Timmy, Hakeem and Shaq tend to get lost in the shuffle of what I deem to be inferior players Bird, Magic, Kobe, Oscar, etc.

Chronz
01-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Can't be the GOAT when you only won 6 rings in 15 yrs and another player has 11 in 13 yrs

can't be the GOAT when you beat old and injured teams for breakthrough to first title after being owned for years by the same team, had not STERN altered the rules for JORDAN he wouldn't have beaten the BLAZERS or the PISTONS at all

so in order to be GOAT you have to lose your first 6yrs then win next 3 rings then retire for a full year and a half, get beat then 3 peat again and come back and play for a bottom feeder and do amazing things at 40yrs of age? guess so according to your book

Ur best post yet

KnicksorBust
01-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Durant can't be the GOAT because Westbrook will never let him.

mdm692
01-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Except that Jordan is 6 for 6 in the finals and KD has already lost his 1st appearance.

bucketss
01-24-2014, 10:04 PM

yeah but he wasn't outplayed since he avg more points than lebron, plus lebron had a guy on his team who won a championship on a team that won non before him. durant losing in the finals against mia >> jordan losing in the first round at the same age.

;)

mngopher35
01-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Except that Jordan is 6 for 6 in the finals and KD has already lost his 1st appearance.

Meaning what? If he matches rings and goes 6/7 he can't be considered the goat no matter the other circumstances? (not saying any of this will happen I just don't get your point here)

Wouldn't it be better to have that extra finals appearance? I didn't realize the goal was to lose in the first round if you don't win the championship...

Raps08-09 Champ
01-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Potential? No doubt.

Of course GOAT is subjective. Larry Bird is GOAT in some people's eyes and I think Durant can surpass someone like Bird.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Meaning what? If he matches rings and goes 6/7 he can't be considered the goat no matter the other circumstances? (not saying any of this will happen I just don't get your point here)

Wouldn't it be better to have that extra finals appearance? I didn't realize the goal was to lose in the first round if you don't win the championship...

Completely agree.

People seem to think making the finals and losing is worse than not making the finals (say get eliminated in the WCF or ECF) to preserve perfection.

Based on face value, I'd easily take 6/7 finals over 6/6.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-24-2014, 10:42 PM
Don't leave man. You and I can have great basketball conversations.

chi-townlove1
01-24-2014, 11:26 PM

Any legend could score 1 on 1 basically anytime

JORDAN got smacked around by the bad boys in the 90's so that makes it factual and no he couldn't lockdown DREXLER/ZEKE or SMITH/MILLER, they got theirs also, JORDAN just scored more points, JORDAN may get his 35-40pts but they would get 20-25pts, that's not shutting down anybody

JORDAN also got swept out of playoffs averaging 44ppg when he needed to drop 54ppg to win that series and couldn't do it

This is why I refrain from posting in here. I'm not going to argue with you. But if your younger than 25 you won't really know what your talking about and if your older than that and understand the Jordan era, you should know that he was as great of a lockdown defender as there has ever been on a court. Not saying he's going to guard a 7 footer. But you match him up with basically any pg-sf in the history of the game, and they will exert so much energy trying to score on him that they would never be able to stop him. He was just so damn good at both ends of the court, it just wasn't fair.

Avenged
01-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Don't leave man. You and I can have great basketball conversations.

Then most insightful conversations anyone has ever seen.

Kushed
01-25-2014, 02:51 AM
i must have missed something, does KD play in some different professional league that I don't know about?? because he ain't ever gonna be the goat of the NBA sorry to break it to you people

naps
01-27-2014, 07:25 PM

Well, there is something positive from this thread at least. This is a good news for PSD.

SINCESTARBURY25
01-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Durant could average 70 ppg and 30 rebounds and everyone would be like hahaha no. Sick of everyone making Jordan so untouchable. Durant is better than Lebron imo. oh well.

HeatBeat
01-28-2014, 03:15 AM
Lebron will be the GOAT. Learn to accept it. Especially you ignorant Kobe fans.

Master Mind
01-28-2014, 03:36 AM
Lebron will go down as the most under appreciated and vilified megastar ever.

Tony_Starks
01-28-2014, 12:07 PM
The comparisons and whatnot are premature and really, extremely corny. As a basketball fan I'm just loving what he is doing right now. It is a pleasure to watch this display....

Hangin n Wangin
01-28-2014, 01:04 PM

Kobe scored 35.5 one year. Jordan scored 37 i think it was. I would say that is sniffing.

MrfadeawayJB
01-28-2014, 01:12 PM
The crazy thing is if he has seasons like this for years to come and wins only 1 or 2 championships (In OKC) people will say he is better than LeBron

nickdymez
01-28-2014, 01:20 PM
The crazy thing is if he has seasons like this for years to come and wins only 1 or 2 championships (In OKC) people will say he is better than LeBron

He will be better than Lebron. He already is to me

blahblahyoutoo
01-28-2014, 01:40 PM
i'm not liking how he pushes off the defender to get himself free (hawks game).
or how he uses his off hand to brush aside the defender.
and how the refs never call it.

jerellh528
01-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Lol but LeFlop is just fine, right?

jerellh528
01-28-2014, 02:04 PM

hugepatsfan
01-28-2014, 02:13 PM

Totally agreed. KD wouldn't be half as good as he is if he had to deal with the refs screwing him over like they do Lebron.

tredigs
01-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Hahaha, we're talking about the same Lebron that has averaged 1.6 fouls a game over the past 3 years and went like 7 straight games without a whistle last year? He pushes off a ton, as all players do, and isn't called for ****. This is getting ridiculous.

sixers247
01-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Why do we constantly have to bash either Durant or Lebron? I get people don't like them for whatever stupid reason there little brain can come up with but both are stars. Just sit back and enjoy two awesome players. People get attached to these players in all time and current ranking like they are talking about their family members. Jeez. Rant ova.

blahblahyoutoo
01-28-2014, 03:53 PM

oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware this was a Lebron thread.
oh that's right. it's not.

jerellh528
01-28-2014, 06:04 PM
oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware this was a Lebron thread.
oh that's right. it's not.

You're right it's a thread on durants potential to be goat, not your biased opinions how the refs are a contributing factor to his greatness.

blahblahyoutoo
01-28-2014, 06:42 PM
You're right it's a thread on durants potential to be goat, not your biased opinions how the refs are a contributing factor to his greatness.

it's not biased. it's pretty clear to anyone with an operational eyeball.
a push off like that is an offensive foul. if the refs call it like they should, he wouldn't be scoring as much. agree?

jerellh528
01-28-2014, 07:10 PM
it's not biased. it's pretty clear to anyone with an operational eyeball.
a push off like that is an offensive foul. if the refs call it like they should, he wouldn't be scoring as much. agree?

Durant's an offensive juggernaught with an unrivaled offensive arsenal, of course he's going to get a ton of calls, and due to human error and perception, some of them will be wrong just like it happens to everyone else. The notion that any part of durants game would be worse because of refs is nonsense, in fact if every single call was made correctly, I bet he would double the amount of times he gets to the line. Honestly sounds to me like you are a little bitter because all the talk is on kd surpassing your guy(Lebron). I could be wrong though, and if so, I apologize.

blahblahyoutoo
01-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Durant's an offensive juggernaught with an unrivaled offensive arsenal, of course he's going to get a ton of calls, and due to human error and perception, some of them will be wrong just like it happens to everyone else. The notion that any part of durants game would be worse because of refs is nonsense, in fact if every single call was made correctly, I bet he would double the amount of times he gets to the line. Honestly sounds to me like you are a little bitter because all the talk is on kd surpassing your guy(Lebron). I could be wrong though, and if so, I apologize.

on what basis are you judging me? how is lebron "[my] guy?" show me where I've blindly defended him where he wasn't deserving of it.

or is it just because I sport a Heat avatar?
I swear, PSD is the worst when it comes to attacking people and making assumptions because of signatures and avatars.

Cal827
01-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Lebron will go down as the most under appreciated and vilified megastar ever.

I agree with the vilified part, but :laugh2:

THE MTL
01-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Is it just me but I don't think that was jordans best season. How about the 32.5ppg 8apg 8rpg 3spg season?