PDA

View Full Version : FT % of LBJ

Chrisclover
01-24-2014, 02:50 AM
The NBA is dominated by LeBron and I dont think there is much doubt here. Nobody is perfect so I really want to find out at which stat column he is not that superior.
By staring at his career stats, I found that his weakness might be the FT %,just around 75, never reached 80.(his highest was 77%in 11-12season )
Stars like KD has 88%,Kobe has about 84%,Paul George has 80%,Melo has over 80%
D Wade has 76%(career average ),Bosh has 80%
Why is his FT% not that phenomenal ?

Nick O
01-24-2014, 02:53 AM
i always found it a little strange that thats the case since hes a good jump shooter generally. but i dunno, he takes alot of them. you look at the best FT shooters of all time like Nash Allen and Calderone (just referencing current players) they really never shot that many in a year in compairison. . lebron shoots them all the time. hes some got some big hands. doesnt really matter. 76% aint really that bad. however Durant is pretty damn good at them so i dont really know what to tell you. not that much of a concern tho honestly. with allen and wade and lewis and hell even bosh on the team no need for him to be taking the late game free throws anyway

P&GRealist
01-24-2014, 02:54 AM
He needs to dedicate an entire summer solely to just shooting free throws.

If he does that...game over!!!

P&GRealist
01-24-2014, 02:54 AM
He needs to improve his form I feel.

stawka
01-24-2014, 02:57 AM
I don't think his form is bad at all. 75% really ain't that bad. When compared to guys like Ray and Nash, then yes it looks bad. Something as simple as FT's, if it hasn't been solved by now, then I don't think it ever will -- unfortunately

numba1CHANGsta
01-24-2014, 03:04 AM
cuz no one's perfect so they must be bad at one category lol

Chrisclover
01-24-2014, 03:13 AM
i always found it a little strange that thats the case since hes a good jump shooter generally. but i dunno, he takes alot of them. you look at the best FT shooters of all time like Nash Allen and Calderone (just referencing current players) they really never shot that many in a year in compairison. . lebron shoots them all the time. hes some got some big hands. doesnt really matter. 76% aint really that bad. however Durant is pretty damn good at them so i dont really know what to tell you. not that much of a concern tho honestly. with allen and wade and lewis and hell even bosh on the team no need for him to be taking the late game free throws anyway
Maybe it's because he has way more FT s than many players ,he is not that fully focusing all the time ?He gets bored. Lol

Phenomenonsense
01-24-2014, 03:22 AM
He wasn't a good shooter early in his career. He worked on shooting, not so much on FT form. I'm sure he could solve that problem in an offseason if dedicated to it.

More-Than-Most
01-24-2014, 03:39 AM
cuz no one's perfect so they must be bad at one category lol

Its not that. I am the biggest bron fan you will see because he is wow and might end up goat in my opinion. That being said it is weird that he doesnt shoot better from the Line considering his shot is so much better as well.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-24-2014, 03:56 AM
Smh could y'all imagine his ppg if he could hit his damn fts?

Scored 27 tonight and missed almost half of his fts lol

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-24-2014, 03:58 AM
Its not that. I am the biggest bron fan you will see because he is wow and might end up goat in my opinion. That being said it is weird that he doesnt shoot better from the Line considering his shot is so much better as well.

Maybe it's cos he doesn't jump?

He's an average to a little above average shooter. The slightest thing like a "tight jersey" affects his shot.

This is according to him lol

So I get it.. Either way he needs to focus on that part of his game because he's missing out on 2 ppg on average.

tredigs
01-24-2014, 04:01 AM
Smh could y'all imagine his ppg if he could hit his damn fts?

Scored 27 tonight and missed almost half of his fts lol

Well we can do the math.

'bout half a point more a game if he was in the 85% range. 26.2 to 26.8.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-24-2014, 04:05 AM
Well we can do the math.

'bout half a point more a game if he was in the 85% range. 26.2 to 26.8.

This year. I'm curious what it would be for his career.

Nvm checked it out myself.
27.5 to 28ish.
Not bad.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-24-2014, 04:09 AM
I also wonder what his ts% would be this year

tredigs
01-24-2014, 04:10 AM
This year. I'm curious what it would be for his career.

Well, he's averaged 8.6 attempts for his career, so if he made them at an 85% rate instead of his 75% then he'd averaged 0.9 ppg more on his career average.

Lebron has told the media that he could be a 90% FT shooter "if he wanted to" before, by the way. Which should surprise nobody, despite the fact that he shoots the same % as his rookie season.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-24-2014, 04:18 AM
Well, he's averaged 8.6 attempts for his career, so if he made them at an 85% rate instead of his 75% then he'd averaged 0.9 ppg more on his career average.

Lebron has told the media that he could be a 90% FT shooter "if he wanted to" before, by the way. Which should surprise nobody, despite the fact that he shoots the same % as his rookie season.

C'mon man. You should not take everything any athlete says especially when it's an ego type response.

Only things I take serious from bron is when he says things like "it all starts with me" as he said post game.

Things like "watch my stats on Wednesday" or "90% ft shooter if I wanted to" "jealous of kd's shot attempts" "I can guard Jason terry throughout a series" "I will be more aggressive (2010 finals)" all those are ego type statements. I don't pay attention to stuff like that.

All athletes have an ego, and all of them sometimes deliver on their claim and some don't.
If it's not team related, I don't give a ****.

tredigs
01-24-2014, 04:26 AM
C'mon man. You should not take everything any athlete says especially when it's an ego type response.

Only things I take serious from bron is when he says things like "it all starts with me" as he said post game.

Things like "watch my stats on Wednesday" or "90% ft shooter if I wanted to" "jealous of kd's shot attempts" "I can guard Jason terry throughout a series" "I will be more aggressive (2010 finals)" all those are ego type statements. I don't pay attention to stuff like that.

All athletes have an ego, and all of them sometimes deliver on their claim and some don't.
If it's not team related, I don't give a ****.

No doubt, I just found that quote for the 1st time when this thread came up and had to laugh about it.

I also wonder what his ts% would be this year
He'd be at 67.6% TS up from his already league leading 66.1% (at 85% FT). What a bum, get it together LBJ!

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-24-2014, 06:01 AM
No doubt, I just found that quote for the 1st time when this thread came up and had to laugh about it.

He'd be at 67.6% TS up from his already league leading 66.1% (at 85% FT). What a bum, get it together LBJ!

Lol.
Man watching durant and bron is an absolute dream come true.

:drool:

Htownballa1622
01-24-2014, 09:45 AM
I honestly feel it's because his shot is finished above his head so it's harder to be consistent.

If you watch the above camera angle, at times when he shoots it comes off the side of the hand.

The best free throw shooters look the same every time. His elbow might flare out at times.

I look back at his rookie year and see that his form was actually Better imo.

blahblahyoutoo
01-24-2014, 10:40 AM
The NBA is dominated by LeBron and I dont think there is much doubt here. Nobody is perfect so I really want to find out at which stat column he is not that superior.
By staring at his career stats, I found that his weakness might be the FT %,just around 75, never reached 80.(his highest was 77%in 11-12season )

too much muscle/bulk.

Slug3
01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
There are so many aspects of your game you can work on. I have to believe FT shooting is one part he doesn't work much on.

YoungOne
01-24-2014, 12:14 PM
I dont think his freethrow shooting form looks very well.

Teeboy1487
01-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Really confuses me because his form is excellent.

beliges
01-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Lebron is still not great as a clutch performer/scorer and his outside jumper is unreliable. He does not have a go to move and he does not have much of a post up game. His game is predicated around his size, strength and athleticism as opposed to his basketball skills. He does have weaknesses in his game but he is so dominant athletically that he has propelled himself to greatness.

Bruno
01-24-2014, 03:15 PM
I'll take 75% from LBJ all day as long as his TS% is still dominant.

in my book, a little below preferential fg%/ft%/3% is forgiven if the other two balance it out to a respectable TS%.

3RDASYSTEM
01-24-2014, 03:50 PM

Same with HOWARD, from his stats alone he gets to the line like 10-15x per game,sometimes 20x so if he found a way to make 10-14 of those 20 attempts he would easily avg 24-26ppg for next 3yrs

TheIlladelph16
01-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Lebron is still not great as a clutch performer/scorer and his outside jumper is unreliable. He does not have a go to move and he does not have much of a post up game. His game is predicated around his size, strength and athleticism as opposed to his basketball skills. He does have weaknesses in his game but he is so dominant athletically that he has propelled himself to greatness.

Disagree with all of this.

He might be the most physically gifted athlete in ANY sport, and definitely in the NBA imo. That doesn't mean he isn't an incredibly skilled basketball player. He absolutely is.

beliges
01-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Disagree with all of this.

He might be the most physically gifted athlete in ANY sport, and definitely in the NBA imo. That doesn't mean he isn't an incredibly skilled basketball player. He absolutely is.

I did not say he was not skilled. Dont get me wrong. However, his most significant quality is his athleticism. He is not the most fundamentally sound player, he does not have the greatest footwork, or a good post up game or even a wide offensive arsenal. His skill set is more limited than other greats. What makes his so great is the combination of his size, strength and athleticism. This is something that has never been seen yet. However, he does not display an overwhelming level of basketball skill as compared to some of the other greats of the game. He has plenty of weaknesses in his game but he makes up for that with his sheer athletic dominance. Its not a knock on Lebron but rather an honest assessment of his game. He, along with Durant are the two best players in the world right now.

xxplayerxx23
01-24-2014, 04:11 PM
His outside jumper is not reliable? What how so? He's an amazing outside side shooter

beliges
01-24-2014, 04:17 PM
His outside jumper is not reliable? What how so? He's an amazing outside side shooter

I think he is far from an "amazing" outside shooter. I also believe a long term objective discussion cannot be had about Lebron. Lets just say Lebron taking a clutch "jumper" or free throw is not Miami's best chance of winning.

FlashBolt
01-24-2014, 04:29 PM
LeBron was never a good free throw shooter. He was 65% at high school. He's just not a free throw shooter. Some make it in-game and some will knock down 500 of them. If you've ever watched three point shooters shoot, they will make 90/100 three pointers but in-game, it's much different.

shep33
01-25-2014, 01:46 AM

The game has been over for like 4 years. Dude has been the best on the planet for a while

KnicksorBust
01-25-2014, 03:18 PM

The game has been over for like 4 years. Dude has been the best on the planet for a while

Yeah seriously. I hope he is joking. Once LeBron started hitting 3's at a higher clip it was a wrap.

I could see the purpose of this thread if he was like a 60% shooter but this is just nitpicking.

P&GRealist
01-25-2014, 06:27 PM

Very true. And he'll continue to being the best for atleast a couple of more years.