PDA

View Full Version : Is Chris Paul Not That Popular With The Casual Fans?

JNA17
01-23-2014, 09:15 PM
So the all star starters were announced and Chris Paul for the last 6 years has been a starter 4 times, and reserve twice. Now this year, Bryant (not that much of a surprise) AND now Curry has been voted over him. While Bryant won't play and will probably be replaced by James Harden as the new starter, CP3 will be a reserve for the 3rd time in his seventh all star game.

Obviously he has been crowned as one of if not the best point guard in the league but the casual fans have not really treated him as such have they?

I mean the guaranteed names to be in every year until they either play like a shell of their former selfs or retire are: Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Wade, and NOW probably Love or Griffen (Griffen more so due to him being more popular). It doesn't matter of the names I mentioned get injured or don't play as good as their prime, with their name and as long as they TOTALLY play like a shell of their former selves, they get voted in every year. Dwight use to be that guy but it seems that his name stock has plummeted a bit. Mostly out of anger between alot of a NBA fans (mostly Lakers and Orlando fans).

I realize it's not really that big of a deal at all but for someone who has been crowned by many as the best point guard in the NBA, he doesn't seem to have the popularity as one. Steph Curry and even Kyrie Irving have had more votes then him this year. I just find it strange.

ThaDubs
01-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Starting backcourt should be him at point and Steph at shooting guard.

Tony_Starks
01-23-2014, 09:30 PM
Had he not got hurt we would've been a starter. He was leading the votes then Steph overtook him when he went down...

conway429
01-23-2014, 09:44 PM
casual fans like scoring over anything else

kozelkid
01-23-2014, 10:07 PM
casual fans like scoring over anything else

And he doesn't have the flashy explosiveness of say a Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, etc.

JNA17
01-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Had he not got hurt we would've been a starter. He was leading the votes then Steph overtook him when he went down...

But Kobe has been injured all year, guys like Tmac and Iverson before him were, again, injured all the time or totally out of their prime and got in practically every year. It took T-Mac to be in a filler in a Rockets-Knicks trade for him not to be voted in anymore.

Yet for Paul, if he gets injured, whether the injury is big or small, the fans go right for a different guy. Curry was that guy and even Irving in the East had more votes then Paul this year.

Paul is not easily being voted in like Kobe, Lebron KD, Wade, etc are, despite being viewed by many as the best point guard in the league. THAT'S what I find weird.

douglas
01-23-2014, 10:17 PM
I think the reason that Stephen Curry is more popular with casual fans is because he makes a lot of three point shots. When they see him shoot the three point shots, they like to see if he makes it. The casual fans like it when he makes it. Although Chris Paul hands out a lot of assists, casual fans like three point shots better than assists. That's why Stephen Curry is more popular to casual fans.

JNA17
01-23-2014, 10:22 PM
I think the reason that Stephen Curry is more popular with casual fans is because he makes a lot of three point shots. When they see him shoot the three point shots, they like to see if he makes it. The casual fans like it when he makes it. Although Chris Paul hands out a lot of assists, casual fans like three point shots better than assists. That's why Stephen Curry is more popular to casual fans.

My love you have returned! :clap:

Tony_Starks
01-23-2014, 10:22 PM
But Kobe has been injured all year, guys like Tmac and Iverson before him were, again, injured all the time or totally out of their prime and got in practically every year. It took T-Mac to be in a filler in a Rockets-Knicks trade for him not to be voted in anymore.

Yet for Paul, if he gets injured, whether the injury is big or small, the fans go right for a different guy. Curry was that guy and even Irving in the East had more votes then Paul this year.

Paul is not easily being voted in like Kobe, Lebron KD, Wade, etc are, despite being viewed by many as the best point guard in the league. THAT'S what I find weird.

I see what you're saying but remember Kobe is typically the second highest vote getter behind Lebron. He's on another level vote wise than a Chris Paul because of his popularity not just here but internationally.

JNA17
01-23-2014, 10:29 PM
I see what you're saying but remember Kobe is typically the second highest vote getter behind Lebron. He's on another level vote wise than a Chris Paul because of his popularity not just here but internationally.

I understand that but I'm curious as too why that is the case.

Is CP3 not as dominate in his position compared to the other point guards as Lebron is compared to the other small forwards? Is it that you just don't hear his name that much unless you are a big basketball fan or see those constant "Chris and Cliff Paul" commercials?

I mean, if we are using the "well passing is not as fun as scoring" argument, why has Steve Nash or an out of prime Allen Iverson voted over Paul before, or why was Magic Johnson voted in every year as a starter despite not being known for his scoring?

kobebabe
01-23-2014, 10:40 PM
I am surprised just as you are the CP3 didn't get voted in. He is the best PG in the league imo. But again he is injured and you can argue Kobe was too. But Kobe is on another level compared to CP3. My guess is may be fans see Kobe as irreplaceable and CP3 as easily replaceable....

Ill21
01-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Starting backcourt should be him at point and Steph at shooting guard.

yup

blahblahyoutoo
01-23-2014, 11:27 PM
PG is probly the least sexy position in the NBA. even behind HC.

Ezio
01-23-2014, 11:34 PM
You ask people about his game and they'll probably say, "Oh he's the guy that passes the ball to Blake Griffin?"

kobebabe
01-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Or may be fans didn't wonna break Kobe's long all star streak

LOOTERX9
01-24-2014, 03:44 AM
I think its cause curry has more flash to his game than cp3. Well they both have flash but curry's shot and dribble is a little more unique and flashier than cp3's shot and dribble. Pound for pound cp3 is better but i like watching curry play more myself tbh. Seeing him launch 3's is an event..lol

Heediot
01-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Blame Kobe. When Kobe told voters not to vote for him because he is injured, they went a step further and did not vote for Paul either.

JNA17
01-24-2014, 01:36 PM
Blame Kobe. When Kobe told voters not to vote for him because he is injured, they went a step further and did not vote for Paul either.

...So blame the voters then?

holditdown
01-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Because he plays like a traditional PG. His job is to not be the star. It's to make everybody look better. He does a good job at it though.

smith&wesson
01-24-2014, 02:00 PM
its all star... doesnt mean ****.

Goose17
01-24-2014, 04:01 PM
I don't think CP3 deserves it this year personally.

I thought it should have been Curry and Lillard.

Kobe doesn't deserve to be there, that's a given.

Shkelqim
01-24-2014, 05:19 PM
I am surprised just as you are the CP3 didn't get voted in. He is the best PG in the league imo. But again he is injured and you can argue Kobe was too. But Kobe is on another level compared to CP3. My guess is may be fans see Kobe as irreplaceable and CP3 as easily replaceable....

Kobe is one of the greats with a ton of rings, Chris Paul great but no rings, less popularity. Allen Iverson was a more dynamic on his life style which made him popular. Chris Paul is a strict-serious person, a true professional. (To some posters saying AI got recognition)

b@llhog24
01-24-2014, 06:20 PM
He's just never been as popular as Nash/AI/Kobe. Or got injured before the All star game.

b@llhog24
01-24-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't think CP3 deserves it this year personally.

I thought it should have been Curry and Lillard.

Kobe doesn't deserve to be there, that's a given.

Fun fact. He still has more win shares than Lillard. But can't argue time served.