PDA

View Full Version : Cause of Concern for Spurs: 8 losses already against Elite West, 1 vs Elite East

P&GRealist
01-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Nov 2nd @ Portland: L 105-115 (-10)

Nov 27 @ OKC: L 88-94 (-6)

Nov 30 vs Houston: L 106-112 (-6)

Dec 7 vs Indiana: L 100-111 (-11)

Dec 16 @ Clippers: L 92-115 (-23)

Dec 21 vs OKC: L 100-113 (-13)

Dec 25 vs Houston: L 98-111 (-13)

Jan 17 vs Portland: L 100-109 (-9)

Jan 22 vs OKC: L 105-111 (-6)

That's a -97, over 9 losses that's a margin of 10.8 ppg that they are losing by!

(only other loss was an anomaly, home loss to the Knicks)

This is proof of what we have consistently seen from the Spurs over the last 4 regular seasons. Be the big nasty bully in the regular season, beat up on the weak competition in the league, but when they meet their match, they do less than average, and that translates over to Playoff basketball, where all those crap teams are nonexistent and you face the elite of the elite in the Mighty West, and don't meet up to expectations.

The Spurs love to beat up on bottom dwellers, but they still haven't figured out how to raise their game and intensity against the other elites. They are looking like another 60+ win regular season team that will end up once again disappoint in the playoffs.

They tease and tease and tease you in the regular season, and then by playoff time, they just can't cut the mustard.

What do you make of this?

kdspurman
01-23-2014, 02:09 PM
How is this proof over the last 4 seasons? Did you see their record last year or the year before that against the "elite"?

They made the WCF and the Finals the past 2 years but they haven't figured out how to raise their game? Classic...

If they're still playing this poorly after the all star break, I'll be concerned.

Cal827
01-23-2014, 02:14 PM
LOL @ the OP? Didn't this team get to the NBA Finals last year (just losing to Miami) and the WCF the past few?

2-ONE-5
01-23-2014, 02:18 PM

That's a -97, over 9 losses that's a margin of 10.8 ppg that they are losing by!

This is proof of what we have consistently seen from the Spurs over the last 4 regular seasons. Be the big nasty bully in the regular season, beat up on the weak competition in the league, but when they meet their match, they do less than average, and that translates over to Playoff basketball, where all those crap teams are nonexistent and you face the elite of the elite in the Mighty West, and don't meet up to expectations.

The Spurs love to beat up on bottom dwellers, but they still haven't figured out how to raise their game and intensity against the other elites. They are looking like another 60+ win regular season team that will end up once again disappoint in the playoffs.

They tease and tease and tease you in the regular season, and then by playoff time, they just can't cut the mustard.

ummm they were on wild/lucky 3 pt shot from Ray Ray from WINNING the ship

Longhornfan1234
01-23-2014, 02:23 PM
They're done. The Spurs aren't capable of beating elite teams anymore. Parker and Duncan have taken a step back.

kdspurman
01-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Not that it's an excuse either, but this does not factor in B2B's or injuries which the Spurs have had several of. Had a stretch of 5 games in 7 nights during some of these losses, 7 in 10 (I believe) etc... Not that easy for this team to handle that kind of schedule as it might be for other teams like Portland/OKC/Houston who are younger and more athletic all around.

xxplayerxx23
01-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Knicks won against them :dance:

TheIlladelph16
01-23-2014, 02:35 PM
ummm they were on wild/lucky 3 pt shot from Ray Ray from WINNING the ship

How exactly is the greatest 3 point shooter of all time in a wide open attempt a "lucky" 3 point shot?

Phenomenonsense
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
How exactly is the greatest 3 point shooter of all time in a wide open attempt a "lucky" 3 point shot?

I think he means more it was a lucky (or unlucky) break that the ball bounced the way it did, not that Allen actually made a shot.

5ass
01-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Lets not forget that they played a Westbrook-less Thunder last play offs. I dont think they make it to the finals had Westy stayed healthy.

kdspurman
01-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Lets not forget that they played a Westbrook-less Thunder last play offs. I dont think they make it to the finals had Westy stayed healthy.

They didn't play OKC in the playoffs. They played LA/GS/Memphis.

Chronz
01-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Entire regular season still matters more than isolated stretches

sixer04fan
01-23-2014, 03:11 PM
The Spurs don't even try in the regular season and they still win 60 games. They would be be laughing at this thread right now. I bet they still make the WCF this year at least.

5ass
01-23-2014, 03:17 PM
They didn't play OKC in the playoffs. They played LA/GS/Memphis.

**** ur right OKC got beat by memphis. Still, I dont think they make the finals had westbrook stayed healthy.

Delrayhc
01-23-2014, 03:20 PM
The only cause for concern is a thread like this one. Spurs were only few field goals away from earning another ring last season.

kdspurman
01-23-2014, 03:24 PM
**** ur right OKC got beat by memphis. Still, I dont think they make the finals had westbrook stayed healthy.

Remains to be seen...I mean it's not like they weren't close in 2012 so who knows

5ass
01-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Remains to be seen...I mean it's not like they weren't close in 2012 so who knows

yup. that was jmo

kdspurman
01-23-2014, 03:29 PM
yup. that was jmo

No doubt man. They're a tough match up that's for sure.

flea
01-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Duncan and the Spurs just can't cut it, eh? Interesting premise for a thread.

Well the day is young but I think this wins worst thread of the day.

Slug3
01-23-2014, 03:55 PM
If anyone takes the Spurs regular season to heart then they don't know anything about them. They are always resting people as it is. They will he there when it's all said and done like usual.

I remember miamis first year together with the 3 and they had a horrible record against the elites. Still made the finals.

2-ONE-5
01-23-2014, 04:06 PM
I think he means more it was a lucky (or unlucky) break that the ball bounced the way it did, not that Allen actually made a shot.

yes thank you. i feel that was obvious

MonroeFAN
01-23-2014, 04:06 PM
and yet they find a way to win when it matters most.

Eventually they're gonna die out, it could be this season, but I wouldn't bet against them.

SPURSFAN1
01-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Made for a good laugh. Tears down my cheek. lol

Joshtd1
01-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Nothing wrong with losing to "elite" teams. Even with these losses, we are still a top team this season. What does that say about the teams that necessarily haven't lost to the "elite" but still have a worse record than us?

When (if) we are fully healthy, and aren't clicking after the all-star break and still can't beat an elite team...then I will be worried. As for now, I'm not. Pop is still playing with his team and tinkering just like he does every year. Not a big deal

Longhornfan1234
01-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Lol...why are people acting like this is a typical Spurs season? They're losing to the elite teams. Parker and Duncan have taken a step back. They're done. Spurs had a great run, but now it's over.

TheIlladelph16
01-23-2014, 05:46 PM

True. If we are going to really go that deep with it then every single play on the court has an element of luck to it with regards to how/where the ball bounces on a rebound. I don't think that's what he was saying at all though. This narrative is used too often to discredit the Heat from pulling off an incredible comeback and attributing it to "they got lucky" or "the Spurs lost it, the Heat didn't win it" nonsense.

Chronz
01-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Lol...why are people acting like this is a typical Spurs season? They're losing to the elite teams. Parker and Duncan have taken a step back. They're done. Spurs had a great run, but now it's over.

That could all be well and true, just nobody cares about losing to "elite teams"

numba1CHANGsta
01-23-2014, 06:16 PM
The reasons why they're losing to elite teams is because they're bench is hurting (they usually are key to winning against elite teams) and also TD/TP/Manu have all taken a step back in their career's meaning they're one step slower than these elite teams. They're still a top 3 team in the West but I just can't see them make it far in the playoffs unless they start resting guys

IversonIsKrazy
01-23-2014, 09:25 PM
I think it's a little concerning since considering they've lost so many, but they can easily pick it up post ASG

True Sports Fan
01-24-2014, 01:46 AM
I think he's a little bitter LA got swept by Spurs.

lol, please
01-24-2014, 02:02 AM

stopped taking you seriously when you made a post about the elite in the west that included the Rockets but excluded the Warriors.

effen5
01-24-2014, 02:55 AM
:laugh:

CityofChaos
01-24-2014, 03:27 AM
Who cares? Its the regular season. They are still an ELITE team that can execute better than any team in the league. There should be a cause for concern for the WARRIORS. They are just as bad when it comes to beating good teams...Heck, the Spurs bench beat the Warriors starting five without Duncan, Parker or Ginobli IN OAKLAND.

torocan
01-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Rinse/repeat.

Every year for the last 5 years some joker comes out saying that the Spurs are old and done. Then every year like clockwork the Spurs remind us why they're the best run team in the NBA.

Only someone clueless about basketball counts out Gregg Popovich and Co.

FlashBolt
01-24-2014, 04:30 PM
People are still doubting the Spurs? Lol. It's getting annoying now. They always make a strong case to win.

Longhornfan1234
01-26-2014, 03:41 PM
Spurs just lost to another elite team this season. They're done. Parker is declining fast this season.

FlashBolt
01-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Every year you hear they are done and every year they show up in the playoffs. People need to start getting banned for these threads. They were 28 seconds and one rebound or one free throw from winning a championship. I don't care how you put it but they are still the favorites to make it out of the West.

P&GRealist
01-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Reading is fundamental. Comprehension is fundamental.

I never doubted the Spurs regular season track record. My point is they win 60+ games, have one of the best records in the league 4-5 yrs, may get far in the playoffs, but haven't won the whole thing.

They had the hard nosed defense grind out game back in 07 when they had a prime Duncan and the best perimeter defender in the league at that time in Bowen.

Now that Duncan is older and the Spurs don't have that consistent lockdown nasty in your face defender, they're never gonna win a title. These Spurs are VERY DIFFERENT from the last spurs title team. The Spurs title teams were defense first. These Spurs the last few yrs are OFFENSE first.

They had their shot last yr in game 6, and Pop chocked with mis managing end game with dumb rotations and benching guys in key stretches of that 4th. Duncan wasn't even on the floor when Bosh got that offensive rebound and throw back out to Allen for that dagger 3.

I never the Spurs are done, but they are what they are. They can bully the sucky teams in the league, but when it comes toe-to-toe with the elites, sometimes they'll win, but most often like this season they will fall. And when the playoffs come, they will get mopped by OKC in the West Finals.

flea
01-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Yep, a game at the defending champs where they're missing 3/5 of their starting lineup in January is really instructive. They should pack it in, it's all over now.

Verbal Christ
01-26-2014, 04:08 PM
Experience will only get you so far. The game is about matchups, and the Spurs for as many stripes as they have earned dont match up as well as they once did at certain positions. Doesnt mean they suck, only that against certain teams they can be exposed.

Im curious what the team will do if and when their core detriorates further, I dont keep up with their farm system, but there could be dark days ahead for that franchise. They could go ahead and tank another season and try to nab a generatrional player like Duncan, but who do you pair him up with Kawhi Leonard? Just an honest observation, not intended to be a jab.

P&GRealist
01-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Yep, a game at the defending champs where they're missing 3/5 of their starting lineup in January is really instructive. They should pack it in, it's all over now.

Not pack it in, but you know these high octane uptempo Spurs the last 4-5 yrs are a bunch of teasers during the regular season, and then just can't cut the mustard in winning the big one.

flea
01-26-2014, 04:14 PM
You'd give Skip Bayless a run for his money.

P&GRealist
01-26-2014, 04:28 PM
You'd give Skip Bayless a run for his money.

Well sorry, I'm just speaking my mind.

kdspurman
01-26-2014, 05:25 PM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
All but four of Spurs' losses this season have come either short-handed, on a back-to-back, or both ...

Raps18-19 Champ
01-26-2014, 05:37 PM
How is that a cause for concern? Everyone has to lose in the regular season. They are a top team so naturally, you would expect their losses to be against teams in the elite category.

What do you consider it if all their losses were to the Jazz and the Bucks of the world?

SPURSFAN1
01-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Reminds me of last year right before the playoffs. A string of key injuries made us lose our first seed and we were like in a 2/10 towards the very end. We even lost to the Lakers and they were all happy to get the spurs. How did that end up? RS games don't excite me anymore. People need to understand the RS is different than the playoffs. It's that simple.