PDA

View Full Version : Report: USA Basketball names 28-player pool for '14-16 international play

spreadeagle
01-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Spoiling USA Basketball's planned Thursday teleconference to reveal the list, ESPN managed to get their hands on the program's full 28-player list they'll be announcing on the call.

The list, as explained below, contains 28 names that are candidates for Team USA for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

Of the players on this list, final rosters of 12 will be determined closer to each event.

Per ESPN's Marc Stein, here are the 28 players, listed alphabetically:

LaMarcus Aldridge
Carmelo Anthony
Bradley Beal
Tyson Chandler
DeMarcus Cousins
Steph Curry
Anthony Davis
Andre Drummond
Kevin Durant
Kenneth Faried
Paul George
Blake Griffin
James Harden
Gordon Hayward
Dwight Howard
Andre Iguodala
Kyrie Irving
LeBron James
Kyle Korver
David Lee
Kawhi Leonard
Damian Lillard
Kevin Love
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Klay Thompson
Russell Westbrook
Deron Williams

You'll notice that James is on the list despite not being one of the rumored names earlier Wednesday. It's likely he has not yet given a firm commitment but the program is hoping to convince him between now and the events.

Other veteran names not on the list likely by choice include Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. http://beta.thescore.com/nba/news/414520

Slug3
01-23-2014, 12:42 AM
I can see Kobe do to age. But Wade and Bosh are a little surprising. Wonder if they really didn't commit or if team USA didn't want them. I can see Wade saying no thanks because of his current injuries. But I really don't see why Bosh would say no so it leaves me to believe he just didn't get invited.

bucketss
01-23-2014, 12:55 AM
y no derozan?

RipCity32
01-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Why no Wall?

koreancabbage
01-23-2014, 01:02 AM
y no derozan?

Surprised Beal made it over Derozan. Maybe Derozan playing for Team Canada since he's been here for so long. hahahaha kidding. no respect still.

todu82
01-23-2014, 01:15 AM
I would hope Wade's only missing from the list because of injury concerns because when healthy he's among the best American NBA players.

Phenomenonsense
01-23-2014, 01:18 AM
Here is hoping a bunch of those bigs don't want to play. Good luck drummond.

John Walls Era
01-23-2014, 01:20 AM
No Wall. No Derozan. Is that ****** Colangelo still in charge?

Then we got the Dwight Howards and the Kyle Korvers of the world... At least Korver will probably make a real impact though because he will drain open 3s.

John Walls Era
01-23-2014, 01:22 AM
I can see Kobe do to age. But Wade and Bosh are a little surprising. Wonder if they really didn't commit or if team USA didn't want them. I can see Wade saying no thanks because of his current injuries. But I really don't see why Bosh would say no so it leaves me to believe he just didn't get invited.

If you read it. It says Bosh said no. WHen you get up there in age, you have obligation to the team thats paying you and you can't just risk injury to a tournament where USA is probably going to dominate anyways.

Pierre The Poet
01-23-2014, 01:57 AM
When Kobe did it, they didn't even put him in the pool. He was just automatically on the team.

rockets-fan
01-23-2014, 02:14 AM
Was hoping for chandler parsons to get invited, oh well

Duncan = Donkey
01-23-2014, 02:16 AM
Deron Williams?? WTF

IgglesFanInCO
01-23-2014, 02:24 AM
Faried isnt even playing like a starting caliber pf right now

Asik's better
01-23-2014, 02:30 AM
Here's hoping Kyrie Irving doesn't make it. That way he can come play for Australia.

Duncan = Donkey
01-23-2014, 02:56 AM
Here's hoping Kyrie Irving doesn't make it. That way he can come play for Australia.

I Like the way you think.

DreamShaker
01-23-2014, 04:16 AM
Was hoping for chandler parsons to get invited, oh well

I was surprised after I saw the list that he didn't make it. Hopefully that fuels him even more. They are good with or without him, so that's my hope.

astonmartin10
01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Going to be weird without Kobe, wade and Bosh

LanceUpperCut
01-23-2014, 10:48 AM
No Wall or Derozan is just crazy, with the improvements those two have made this year I don't see how you can justify leaving them off.