PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant: 37 points per game this month

JasonJohnHorn
01-22-2014, 11:49 AM
It's not secret that Kevin Durant is playing at a whole new level, but did you know that this month he is averaging 37 points per game? And over the last 10 games is averaging 38.3 points per game!

Kevin Durant posted an NBA season-high 48 points on the 4th, then tied that mark two game later and beat the mark a week later with 54 points, before adding 46 last night. That is 4 40+ points games in three weeks and Durant now owns the top four scoring performances this season.

I think we just need to take a moment to appreciate the extremely high level of basketball we have the privilege to watch right now. It is pretty amazing to consider that though LBJ is putting up historic numbers himself, that would be a lock for MVP in almost any other season, we are also watching another historic performance at the same time.

There may be parity issues in the league right now, but I have to say, there is still a lot of amazing basketball being played.

ManRam
01-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Easily the best scorer I've seen in my adult life.

:worthy:

LJEATON26
01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
He's unstoppable right now. Hope he continues it during this upcoming road trip. (Next 5 out of 6 on the road and includes the spurs and miami)

blahblahyoutoo
01-22-2014, 12:21 PM
what's his shooting % during this stretch?

HYFR
01-22-2014, 12:25 PM
30.9/5.1/7.8 on 50% shooting.. Unreal

donovanmcnabb
01-22-2014, 12:26 PM
what's his shooting % during this stretch?

Kaner
01-22-2014, 12:34 PM
It also might be the most efficient stretch of his career with a 66.7 ts% so far this month.

LJEATON26
01-22-2014, 12:37 PM
He's a small free throw percentage point from still shooting 50/40/90

donovanmcnabb
01-22-2014, 12:41 PM
killed em from the top of the key last night. is that his best 3 point shot?

Teeboy1487
01-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Has been the best player in the league this season. Not saying he is the best. Easily the MVP of the league so far.

ManRam
01-22-2014, 12:47 PM
killed em from the top of the key last night. is that his best 3 point shot?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2q16mpi.png

Pretty much. He certainly does not like corner threes, for sure.

The shot chart is just insane

Slug3
01-22-2014, 12:47 PM
I like this, I wanna see him try and average 40 for a month.

Swashcuff
01-22-2014, 12:54 PM

After last night 52.2 with a TS% of 66.6 on a USG% of 35.9 and the best single month ORtg of his career of 132. In short this is the best stretch he's had in his career and one of the greatest offensive months we've ever seen. Still got another week plus left so lets see how strongly he finishes.

ghettosean
01-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Easily the best scorer I've seen in my adult life.

:worthy:

I love me some MJ but honestly Durant is completely unreal and makes me rewind some plays of his and just say --> "How the **** did he do that!?!?!?!?"

If he keeps this up he'll get voted as MVP unanimously!

ChiSox219
01-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Nothing new for KD it's just Westbrook never missed a game and limited KD touches. Go check out his highlights from the FIBA games in 2011, KD is a scoring machine.

KnicksorBust
01-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Shame he is stuck playing with Westbrook.

Swashcuff
01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
WTF

Why is Westbrook getting blamed now? If Durant played with Steph Curry or Damian Lillard he wouldn't be sniffing 37 for this month. Hell if he played with Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Teague etc etc etc

Doesn't even have to be a PG once there is another player soaking up touches Durant's volume will go down.

Where was the blame on Westbrook when the Thunder failed to make the conference finals last year after being touted as the team who'd represent the West in the NBA Finals?

ghettosean
01-22-2014, 01:09 PM
WTF

Why is Westbrook getting blamed now? If Durant played with Steph Curry or Damian Lillard he wouldn't be sniffing 37 for this month. Hell if he played with Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe, Jeff Teague etc etc etc

Doesn't even have to be a PG once there is another player soaking up touches Durant's volume will go down.

Where was the blame on Westbrook when the Thunder failed to make the conference finals last year after being touted as the team who'd represent the West in the NBA Finals?

Definitely not Westy's fault because he is what he is and they do need that 1 - 2 punch but you have to be honest if he was playing with CP3 he's be hovering around these numbers more often than not with a great playmaker on the team.

DreamShaker
01-22-2014, 01:12 PM
KD is so fun to watch right now. Stepped up every aspect of his game. I really wanna see him get 60 this year.

blahblahyoutoo
01-22-2014, 01:13 PM
I love me some MJ but honestly Durant is completely unreal and makes me rewind some plays of his and just say --> "How the **** did he do that!?!?!?!?"

If he keeps this up he'll get voted as MVP unanimously!

he's a much better shooter than MJ.

one thing I don't like about durant's game (and many others) is how he pushes off or wraps around with his off hand. wish they would start calling offensive fouls on those.

FlashBolt
01-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Yup. Not even a question who the MVP is now. With the way LeBron has been playing lately, I have to wonder if KD has really taken the King off his throne. Keep in mind KD is only 25. LeBron at 25 was not this good. KD is the real deal. It's going to be amazing watching KD and LeBron the next few years. It can be a rivalry because I still suspect Miami and OKC to battle in the finals this year. KD and LeBron. I've said it before and will say it again.. Top 10 players ever.

blahblahyoutoo
01-22-2014, 01:15 PM

he needs westbrook, esp in the post season.

Sadds The Gr8
01-22-2014, 01:16 PM
the contested 3s this guy makes are ****in ridiculous

blahblahyoutoo
01-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Yup. Not even a question who the MVP is now. With the way LeBron has been playing lately, I have to wonder if KD has really taken the King off his throne. Keep in mind KD is only 25. LeBron at 25 was not this good. KD is the real deal. It's going to be amazing watching KD and LeBron the next few years. It can be a rivalry because I still suspect Miami and OKC to battle in the finals this year. KD and LeBron. I've said it before and will say it again.. Top 10 players ever.

nope, not a clear cut winner. hi defense, rebounding and passing game is not close to lebron's.

lebron makes plays for everyone on his team. KD is a solo, scoring machine.

farren.louis
01-22-2014, 01:22 PM
nope, not a clear cut winner. hi defense, rebounding and passing game is not close to lebron's.

Bruh, His team is winning and secondly he's averaging 6ast that not bad. He's the clear cut winner.

Kenny
01-22-2014, 01:25 PM
It's hillarious how fickle fans are. Two weeks ago it was how Durant couldn't win without Westbrook and Westbrook is the leader. Now he is better than lebron. All you can do is laugh.

Stinkyoutsider
01-22-2014, 01:25 PM
It's great to see Durant dominating like this. His personality on the court has changed a lot since he was a rookie in the league. He's more agressive now and it's showing because it's tough to stop a guy who's 6'10" with long arms and has a good fadeaway...

There's a few guys at my job talking about how Westbrook is the heart of the team and I had to agree after seeing the team last year but Durant is showing that he can carry this team just as much or more than Westbrook right now.

Swashcuff
01-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Definitely not Westy's fault because he is what he is and they do need that 1 - 2 punch but you have to be honest if he was playing with CP3 he's be hovering around these numbers more often than not with a great playmaker on the team.

Okay lets just look at it from this POV. Blake Griffin with Chris Paul 21.7 points per this season Blake Griffin without Chris Paul 25.0 points per. Not because Paul is a more willing passer and less aggressive offensive player that means KD will average 5-7 more points a game. Paul is going to be passing the ball to everyone not just KD while getting his own.

ManRam
01-22-2014, 01:28 PM
WTF

It's hilarious how people overreact about this stuff.

Happens every damn time too. Is so-and-so better without Chris Paul....Are the Bulls better off without Rose....Are the Knicks better without Melo?....and so on and so on. Hell, the narrative was the opposite when Russell went down last year.

Russell takes a burden off of Durant, period. The Thunder are not going to be a better team without Westbrook. It's a silly notion.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-22-2014, 01:33 PM
reminds me that crazy kobe month where he was averaging over 40 ppg

Minimal
01-22-2014, 01:34 PM
I predicted Durant is gonna average 35 PPG in the start of the season without Westbrook. Really not surprising to see this kind of numbers from him now. He is the MVP of the season so far.

Swashcuff
01-22-2014, 01:37 PM

This statement leads me to believe that the last time you saw a Thunder game was 2 years ago when they played the Heat in the finals. Anyone who has watched Durant play in the past two years would not make such a statement.

KD has been as good or even better than Bron defensively this season, he's been a better shooter, he has also been just as good a rebounder as Bron.

I think LeBron is still the better player but Durant has been gaining on him this season. Rapidly at that.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
he did it 4 times wow

FlashBolt

I'm a huge LeBron fan and he's arguably one of my favorite players but he I'm tired of this coasting talk. LeBron needs to start putting up or people need to start putting KD above him at this point. He is no doubt playing better than LeBron. Anyone watching OKC games will tell you that he has been improving his defense and passing anually. KD is a scoring machine and lately, he's been doing it all. His rebounding game is near 8 and that's what LeBron averaged as his career high. I know you're a biased fan but I am huge fans of both. KD is closing in on LeBron every time LeBron decides to "coast". January 29th will be a huge game that will decide it. Whatever happens on that date will be a huge difference maker in terms of passing the torch.

Swashcuff
reminds me that crazy kobe month where he was averaging over 40 ppg

Which one of them? He had 3 in a two year span.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Which one of them? He had 3 in a two year span.

January 2006 (13G): 43.4ppg, 5.6rpg, 4.1apg, 3.5 TOs; 47.0% FG/39.7% 3pt/89.7% FT, 59.9% TS.

sick

FlashBolt
01-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Durant's streak is more impressive imo.

http://speedcap.net/sharing/files/e3/20/e320daa09909dd16ae37b87a9ab9a4ee.png

That efficiency is unreal. I don't think it has ever been accomplished. Just amazing.

ManRam
01-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Kobe put up arguably his best numbers ever in 2006. Saying it's a shame KD has to play with Westbrook because of his individual numbers (granted they are now 9-5 without RWB, which is good, but doesn't compare to their record with him) is like saying it's a shame Kobe had to play with Shaq or Pau because otherwise he couldn't thrive personally and put up insane numbers. It's dumb.

Westbrook is a top-10 player when healthy. It's no shame at all that he has to play with him, and that narrative has always been incredibly stupid. Should he maybe shoot it once or twice a game fewer? Sure, whatever. But that's nothing.

blahblahyoutoo
01-22-2014, 01:54 PM
This statement leads me to believe that the last time you saw a Thunder game was 2 years ago when they played the Heat in the finals. Anyone who has watched Durant play in the past two years would not make such a statement.

KD has been as good or even better than Bron defensively this season, he's been a better shooter, he has also been just as good a rebounder as Bron.

I think LeBron is still the better player but Durant has been gaining on him this season. Rapidly at that.

last OKC game i saw was the 50 point game and in the 4th, you knew he was going to shoot every shot. and I don't have a problem with that because he was on fire, but put lebron in that same situation and he would be more of a distributor.

holditdown
01-22-2014, 01:57 PM
WTF

This is wrong I think. Shaq took a lot of shots and his volume never stopped Kobe from shooting an insane amount.

Westbrook is a PG. His job is to make life easier on Durant. He plays with the best scorer in the league look to set him up more. Or actually, let him iso more. Just give him the damn ball.

holditdown
01-22-2014, 01:59 PM
It's hilarious how people overreact about this stuff.

Happens every damn time too. Is so-and-so better without Chris Paul....Are the Bulls better off without Rose....Are the Knicks better without Melo?....and so on and so on. Hell, the narrative was the opposite when Russell went down last year.

Russell takes a burden off of Durant, period. The Thunder are not going to be a better team without Westbrook. It's a silly notion.

Coming from a T-Mac fan.

blahblahyoutoo
01-22-2014, 01:59 PM
i'm confused. i didn't mention coasting.
and I'm as unbiased as they come. KD is a very close 2nd in the league and on some nights, he might be better but there is no way anyone can claim that KD is unequivocally better than lebron at this point.

and 1 regular season game doesn't decide anything. it would take an entire playoffs, maybe seasons or consecutive seasons of superior play to decide whether someone has surpassed lebron.

I'm a huge LeBron fan and he's arguably one of my favorite players but he I'm tired of this coasting talk. LeBron needs to start putting up or people need to start putting KD above him at this point. He is no doubt playing better than LeBron. Anyone watching OKC games will tell you that he has been improving his defense and passing anually. KD is a scoring machine and lately, he's been doing it all. His rebounding game is near 8 and that's what LeBron averaged as his career high. I know you're a biased fan but I am huge fans of both. KD is closing in on LeBron every time LeBron decides to "coast". January 29th will be a huge game that will decide it. Whatever happens on that date will be a huge difference maker in terms of passing the torch.

FlashBolt
01-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Okay. There is a huge difference between Shaq and Westbrook. Durant can do everything Westbrook does. Maybe not as good but he can certainly dunk, pass, rebound, score. Pretty much everything Westbrook can do - just not as explosive. Shaq on the other hand did things Kobe can't do. That's why a center is always important because it's much easier to find someone who can do all of the things Westbrook can. Shaq will rebound, dominate the paint, and you know at any given night, he will always destroy the opposing center. You can't take Shaq out and expect Kobe to rebound. Shaq benefited Kobe much more than Westbrook benefits Durant.

holditdown

LeBron has little left to prove in the regular season though.

mike44
Last 3 games: 130 points on 68 shots. That's just not even fair.

FlashBolt
01-22-2014, 02:02 PM
i'm confused. i didn't mention coasting.
and I'm as unbiased as they come. KD is a very close 2nd in the league and on some nights, he might be better but there is no way anyone can claim that KD is unequivocally better than lebron at this point.

and 1 regular season game doesn't decide anything. it would take an entire playoffs, maybe seasons or consecutive seasons of superior play to decide whether someone has surpassed lebron.

You didn't mention coasting but the idea is that LeBron is coasting. I simply don't think it's true anymore. At one point, you have to admit that it might just be all that LeBron has got to offer. I'm not doubting LeBron's abilities but KD comes to play. No coasting, he hustles every damn play and wants to win. I'm not seeing that from LeBron. Great numbers but you can't expect to be the better player when you don't put forth the work.

holditdown
01-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Okay. There is a huge difference between Shaq and Westbrook. Durant can do everything Westbrook does. Maybe not as good but he can certainly dunk, pass, rebound, score. Pretty much everything Westbrook can do - just not as explosive. Shaq on the other hand did things Kobe can't do. That's why a center is always important because it's much easier to find someone who can do all of the things Westbrook can. Shaq will rebound, dominate the paint, and you know at any given night, he will always destroy the opposing center. You can't take Shaq out and expect Kobe to rebound. Shaq benefited Kobe much more than Westbrook benefits Durant.

I know what you are saying, but Westbrook being the PG and primary ball handler can literally take another player and freeze him out of the game for stretches at a time. He does this sometimes.

He has a responsibility as long as he plays the 1 to understand the PG burden.

FlashBolt
01-22-2014, 02:05 PM
LeBron has little left to prove in the regular season though.

What's that supposed to mean? Miami heavily relied on their regular season record to win the playoffs. Against Pacers, against Boston, against Spurs. Simply put, every team wants to have the best seed. LeBron does have a lot to prove. He still needs more MVP's in his resume. He still needs a DPOY. He still needs to show everyone that he is ONLY 29 and is still undeniably the greatest. Last year, it wasn't close at the end. LeBron was clear on point the MVP and best player. This year, KD is closing in. I had LeBron MVP last year before he went on that insane 30 PPG on 60%+ shooting but this year KD may take it.

TheNumber37
01-22-2014, 02:06 PM
He's the MVP this year. Westbrook has been out, there team is 1st in the NW division after beating Portland last night. Lebron is playing well, but has had some losses against the top teams

holditdown
01-22-2014, 02:07 PM
What's that supposed to mean? Miami heavily relied on their regular season record to win the playoffs. Against Pacers, against Boston, against Spurs. Simply put, every team wants to have the best seed. LeBron does have a lot to prove. He still needs more MVP's in his resume. He still needs a DPOY. He still needs to show everyone that he is ONLY 29 and is still undeniably the greatest. Last year, it wasn't close at the end. LeBron was clear on point the MVP and best player. This year, KD is closing in. I had LeBron MVP last year before he went on that insane 30 PPG on 60%+ shooting but this year KD may take it.

Anybody who has 4 regular season MVP's has little to prove in the Regular Season.

KnicksorBust
01-22-2014, 02:09 PM

he needs westbrook, esp in the post season.

No he needs another star but not Russell "I am going to lead the team in shots even tho I cant hold Durant's jock" Westbrook.

Bruno
01-22-2014, 02:36 PM
this is really starting to remind me of what Kobe did in January 2006. Bryant averaged 43.4 ppg on a TS% of .603. with an average game score of 28.6.

Durants 37 ppg on a TS% of .666 with an average game score of 29.7. this is the closest thing I've seen to Kobes 2006 rampage yet and it's a toss up for best scoring rampage I've ever seen; I'm a bit young to have watched youthful MJ rip up the league with his most explosive scoring so this is the highest level of individual scoring dominance I've seen as a fan. and i've got durant in two fantasy leagues :hi5:

Bruno
01-22-2014, 02:38 PM
KD is so fun to watch right now. Stepped up every aspect of his game. I really wanna see him get 60 this year.

dude if kobe can get 81 Durant can crack the 70's man. David Robinson did it so can KD. he just needs a special night where everything goes right to go down.

the problem is that even without Westbrook the Thunder are too good to be in close games with horrible defensive teams with Durant is that deadly. his coach would have to not pull him with a big league, it's unlikely.

Brooks would have to let him play deep into a heavy victory like Phil did in 2006. that worked out okay because the lakers were down big at one point in the game. most coaches on any other night with a big league will pull the star- Phil did it to Kobe when he dropped 62 against Dallas in three quarters.

Matter.
01-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Anybody who has 4 regular season MVP's has little to prove in the Regular Season.

Miami Did not beat Indiana in Indiana last year in the playoffs.

Chronz
01-22-2014, 02:58 PM

Not gonna lie, that would be a beautiful pairing for both guys to thrive

Swashcuff
01-22-2014, 03:03 PM
This is wrong I think. Shaq took a lot of shots and his volume never stopped Kobe from shooting an insane amount.

Westbrook is a PG. His job is to make life easier on Durant. He plays with the best scorer in the league look to set him up more. Or actually, let him iso more. Just give him the damn ball.

Wrong?

Do me a favour go through the history of the NBA and tell me how many scoring title champions had teammates that averaged 18+ ppg.

Oh and your Kobe Shaq example is horrible when you consider the fact that even in his physical prime Kobe never won a scoring title it was only after Shaq left and he was the man at the helm with Smush and Odom as his #2 and #3 options when he exploded. KD has already averaged 30 with Westbrook at his side. Averaging 35+ with the likes of Lillard, CP3, Curry etc? Not going to happen. Its basic common sense in basketball TBH.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-22-2014, 03:19 PM
KD hasn't scored less the 30 since Jan. 2nd.

THE LONGHORN!!

Chronz
01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
So where all the melo fanatics that swore kd would struggle without his binky

NBA_Starter
01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
That is just Beastly! He certainly didn't do anything tonight to hurt those stats!