PDA

View Full Version : Wizards interested in Greg Monroe

kobe4thewinbang
01-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Source: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-wizards-interested-in-greg-monroe/

The Detroit Pistons find themselves in a difficult position at the halfway point of the 2013-14 season.

After a big offseason that brought Josh Smith, Brandon Jennings and Chauncey Billups (as well as playoff expectations) to Detroit, the team is currently 17-24 and barely holding onto the eighth and final seed in the Eastern Conference. Detroit has dropped 10 of their last 14 games and, according to multiple league sources, the organization isnít sure what to do as the Feb. 20 trade deadline approaches.

Should the Pistons keep their roster as currently constructed and give this group more time together? There are some decision-makers in the organization who look at the weak Eastern Conference and feel this is the best way to proceed.

Should the Pistons make a move before the deadline since their players havenít fit together as expected? There are some decision-makers in Detroit who look at the ill-fitting pieces and feel this is the best way to proceed.

One player who has been mentioned in trade rumors throughout this season is Greg Monroe, the young power forward who will be a restricted free agent this offseason since he couldnít agree on an extension with the Pistons. Itís no secret that Josh Smith is better at the four, and itís possible that Detroit moves the valuable Monroe to upgrade another position and slide Smith over to power forward.

One team that is interested in Monroe is the Washington Wizards, according to multiple league sources. Itís becoming clear that Washington is planning to pursue Monroe, either through trade or free agency.

Prior to joining the Pistons, Monroe starred at Georgetown for two seasons so heís no stranger to Washington. The Wizards have $41,458,760 in guaranteed commitments for next season, since Marcin Gortat and Trevor Ariza among others are in the final year of their contracts.

With that said, itís not every day that a 23-year-old big man with Monroeís skill set and potential becomes available, so expect many other teams to emerge as possible suitors for Monroe as well. But since Monroe will be a restricted free agent, the Pistons can match any offer that he receives so getting the big man to sign an offer sheet doesnít necessarily mean that heíll leave Detroit.

Through 40 games this season, Monroe has averaged 14.4 points on 50.3 percent shooting as well as 8.8 rebounds. This is Monroeís fourth year in the NBA, but he still has plenty of room to grow.

The Pistons are certainly a team to keep an eye on over the next month. Rival executives have said that there is ďturmoilĒ within the organization and that they havenít decided what to do as the deadline approaches.

How the team performs in the coming weeks could determine what the front office does next, similar to whatís occurring with the Toronto Raptors right now. If the team plays well, the team will likely remain intact and the Pistons will try to make a postseason run. If the team continues to struggle, itís very possible that Detroit makes a trade between now and the deadline.

slaker619
01-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Wizards could use him over Groata

detzfish
01-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I just don't see what they would have to offer that would interest the pistons. Obviously beal but the wizards aren't gonna let him go. I think they're better off waiting until free agency and seeing if they can entice him to come but being a pistons fan I hope that doesn't happen.

colinskik
01-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Det is clearly going to make a move before the deadline, but if I were a Pistons fan I would prefer them move Smoove. Except no team wants him... A young frontcourt of Monroe and Drummond is a great unit to build around. But instead of building around it properly, they signed Josh Smith. Still don't understand it.

Jarvo
01-22-2014, 10:35 AM
They ****ed up getting Smith

detzfish
01-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I wanted iguodala in free agency not smith but bringing in smith in my opinion wasn't a bad idea. They just aren't using the talent they have properly. Smith isn't a sf and Monroe can play both the 4 and 5 so if I was the coach then one of them start with Drummond and all 3 get about 32 minutes a game with a 3 big rotation. Always have an above average player at the 4 and 5.

MonroeFAN
01-22-2014, 10:44 AM
This is super old, and WSH isn't going to get him for Porter and junk like they think they will. Or dear god I hope not. I suppose Joe has made some questionable moves in the past.

j-bay
01-22-2014, 12:18 PM
This is super old, and WSH isn't going to get him for Porter and junk like they think they will. Or dear god I hope not. I suppose Joe has made some questionable moves in the past.

We can give you Ariza.

mdm692
01-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Wizards could use him over Groata

Or they could just put him at PF next to Gortat. lol.

Stinkyoutsider
01-22-2014, 01:55 PM
I think the Pistons should hold on to Monroe. There's not too many teams who can put both a 4 and 5 out on the court who are 6'11" and can beat you up inside in the post. If Drummond can continue to improve his offensive game, Detroit could be a dangerous team.

I always though Dumars figured Smith could play the 3 full time and I he wouldn't be wrong. Smith just has a questionable shooting range so with him, Monroe, and Drummond all in or near the paint at the same time spells trouble for spacing.

Not sure if Smith would be up to it, but he should be the 6th man. To have a guy who's versatile, a high energy player, athlete, and who's not afraid to create his own shot would be a great asset for the Pistons. He can come in for Monroe for a straight switch or come in for Drummond and slide Monroe to the 5. This could possibly allow Drummond a little bit of room as far as getting in foul trouble because you'll always have a quality player coming into the game.

Ebbs
01-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Wizards doesn't make a ton of sense but Pistons are running out of options. What they should really do is deal Smith to the highest bidder assuming there are a few. Re-sign Monroe

TrueFan420
01-22-2014, 06:39 PM
If I'm the wizards I'd offer anything not name wall, beal for next years first.

TrueFan420
01-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Wizards doesn't make a ton of sense but Pistons are running out of options. What they should really do is deal Smith to the highest bidder assuming there are a few. Re-sign Monroe

Doesn't make sense to who. Makes perfect sense for the wizards they get a young big to pair with wall and beal. To the pistons yea there's not really any pieces that they can get back that fit. Wall, beal and next years first are likely going no where. Most likely a deal would involve a future protected pick question would be what else.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Wizards probably need to make it a three team trade. Or just clear more cap and offer up poison pill contract this summer for Monroe.

TrueFan420
01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Wizards probably need to make it a three team trade. Or just clear more cap and offer up poison pill contract this summer for Monroe.

Maybe but if Detroit thinks they're gonna lose him either way they might be convinced into taking a future first for him

xnick5757
01-22-2014, 06:50 PM

why would any team want Smith? He's terrible

10.9% TRB, .463 TS%, .441 eFG%

and shooting 24% from deep :laugh:

KnicksorBust
01-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Who says no?

Wizards get: (Lineup - Wall/Beal/Webster/Nene/Monroe)
Greg Monroe
Rodney Stuckey

Pistons get: (Lineup - Jennings/Gordon/Somebody/Josh Smith/Drummond)
Eric Gordon

Pelicans get: (Lineup - Jrue/Evans/Ariza/Davis/Gortat w. Ryno as trade bait)
Trevor Ariza
Marcin Gortat

NBA_Starter
01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Maybe but if Detroit thinks they're gonna lose him either way they might be convinced into taking a future first for him

That is probably what they are thinking.

RipCity32
01-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Who says no?

Greg Monroe
Rodney Stuckey

Eric Gordon

Trevor Ariza
Marcin Gortat
no,Stuckey has probably been better than Gordon this year and I would rather just pay Monroe than Gordon.

Cracka2HI!
01-22-2014, 11:03 PM
I think the Wiz GM read my Monroe thread.

NBA_Starter
01-22-2014, 11:28 PM
I think the Wiz GM read my Monroe thread.

All the famous people reading psd!

KnicksorBust
01-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Who says no?

Greg Monroe
Rodney Stuckey

Eric Gordon

Trevor Ariza
Marcin Gortat
no,Stuckey has probably been better than Gordon this year and I would rather just pay Monroe than Gordon.

Gordon is miles better than Stuckey as a shooter and has much bigger upside. No brainer in my book.

RipCity32
01-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Gordon is miles better than Stuckey as a shooter and has much bigger upside. No brainer in my book.

Stuckey is also playing great this year while on a expiring contract. Monroe is more valuable than Gordon. Gordon is always injured and is making a lot of money while playing alright. Obviously Gordon is better than Stuck but he's not making that much more impact than Stuckey is and Stuckey is also coming off the bench.

mngopher35
01-22-2014, 11:59 PM

I think I would say no as detroit too. If it were josh smith instead of Monroe I think it fits.

RipCity32
01-23-2014, 12:08 AM
I think I would say no as detroit too. If it were josh smith instead of Monroe I think it fits.

This

John Walls Era
01-23-2014, 01:27 AM
Joe Dumars Magic

Phenomenonsense
01-23-2014, 01:33 AM

It would be a no brainer for a Knicks fan I guess.

Phenomenonsense
01-23-2014, 01:33 AM

Yeah much better.

DreamShaker
01-23-2014, 04:41 AM
What about

Orl:

Greg Monroe
Rodney Stuckey

Det:

Affalo
Big Baby
Harkless

GunFactor187
01-23-2014, 03:31 PM
What about

Orl:

Greg Monroe
Rodney Stuckey

Det:

Affalo
Big Baby
Harkless

What's Big Baby's contract look like? I'd love to have Afflalo and Harkless though.

mrblisterdundee
01-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Unless the Pistons are willing to take a chance on Otto Porter and another impact role player, I don't see what the Wizards can offer that Detroit might want. If he's healthy, I think Ryan Anderson is the single best trade target. He's just what the Pistons need, and the Pelicans need a center.

Rndy
01-24-2014, 12:36 AM
Pistons should keep Monroe and sign Pau Gasol to play SG.

RipCity32
01-24-2014, 01:34 AM
Pistons should keep Monroe and sign Pau Gasol to play SG.

I know thats you Dumars!!!

naps
01-24-2014, 02:26 AM
All I know Pistons will get butt raped in a trade involving Monroe. It's Joe Dumars we are talking about!

Heediot
01-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Take Otto Porter and this years Wizard pick for him.

Heediot
01-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Unless the Pistons are willing to take a chance on Otto Porter and another impact role player, I don't see what the Wizards can offer that Detroit might want. If he's healthy, I think Ryan Anderson is the single best trade target. He's just what the Pistons need, and the Pelicans need a center.

Yeah he would definitely complement that front court better and they need spacing badly.