PDA

View Full Version : RYAN CALLAHAN --- Whats your price?

Sandman
01-22-2014, 02:39 AM
He is our captain.

It is easy to see why. He is not a star player but he is a leader. He might not be a goal scorer but he does everything else.

The question is, what is that worth?

Like SLY said in another thread, the Sedins signed 4/28 extensions in November. Can we really give Cally 35 for 5 or 6 years? Granted the Sedins signed for a discount, but on the same merit will Callahan give us a discount?

Another good question -- the salary cap is going up-up-up... is it going to hurt? if we sign Callahan to a deal like that now it might not look as bad in year 3/4.

Also- who else is going to give him a contract like that? Callahan is our captain and it could be worth bidding against ourselves, but should we?

Just thought our captain should have a thread. DISCUSS!

nyr2002nyr
01-22-2014, 09:29 AM
I like 5/25 as the max

Redfish
01-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the thread; well deserved.

I think the clearing market, as a wide range, is $5.5 million to $6.5 million per season over five years. Callahan won't sign in New York for less than $5.5 million in my view, and if what we offer him is on the low side, he'll ask for and get 6 years.

I think a handful of teams would "salivate" at the notion of signing Ryan Callahan; e.g., Boston, Toronto, Buffalo, St. Louis, Anaheim, LA Kings.

I am laying my chips on Sather trading Callahan and targeting Thomas Vanek as #1 free agency target. That is what I would do.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
For me the big issue is contract length more than annual salary. I know people are going to throw things at me but I would see how strong the trade market would be for him. If we could get back some very high picks or very good prospects I would consider it.

bsi
01-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the thread; well deserved.

I think the clearing market, as a wide range, is $5.5 million to $6.5 million per season over five years. Callahan won't sign in New York for less than $5.5 million in my view, and if what we offer him is on the low side, he'll ask for and get 6 years.

I think a handful of teams would "salivate" at the notion of signing Ryan Callahan; e.g., Boston, Toronto, Buffalo, St. Louis, Anaheim, LA Kings.

I am laying my chips on Sather trading Callahan and targeting Thomas Vanek as #1 free agency target. That is what I would do.

I agree with everything but Vanek. I might be on an island alone here but I think Vanek resigns with the Isles. I just think they gave up so much for him that they can't afford to not resign him. He is gonna be a rich man and along with Taveres the face of the franchise in Brooklyn. If I was a betting man, I think he goes to Anaheim before the deadline. It would be nice to get Silvferberg out of them.

Redfish
01-22-2014, 11:30 AM
I agree with everything but Vanek. I might be on an island alone here but I think Vanek resigns with the Isles. I just think they gave up so much for him that they can't afford to not resign him. He is gonna be a rich man and along with Taveres the face of the franchise in Brooklyn. If I was a betting man, I think he goes to Anaheim before the deadline. It would be nice to get Silvferberg out of them.

As much as I love the Rangers, the notion of professional ice hockey being played in Brooklyn is extremely exciting to me. It should do wonders for an already good rivalry with deep history, and I think the local hockey market will explode. There are already some top notch youth clubs in the area.

I can envision the Isles resigning Vanek. I think Vanek in a Rangers uniform would go a long way for AV reshaping and elevating the team, so I am hoping we get a shot at him.

bsi
01-22-2014, 12:08 PM

As much as I love the Rangers, the notion of professional ice hockey being played in Brooklyn is extremely exciting to me. It should do wonders for an already good rivalry with deep history, and I think the local hockey market will explode. There are already some top notch youth clubs in the area.

I can envision the Isles resigning Vanek. I think Vanek in a Rangers uniform would go a long way for AV reshaping and elevating the team, so I am hoping we get a shot at him.

Ya...I would like him here, he would fit in here better than the Isles I think but if he is available we are gonna overpay to get him, just not sure about another high year high dollar contract. But like you said he would be a good fit here.

fingerbang
01-22-2014, 03:13 PM
I think they'd miss his physical play if they let him go.

redwhiteandblue
01-22-2014, 03:29 PM
I have been outspoken about this, but I have no interest in trading Callahan. It's hard to say what's going on with negotiations, but unless it gets nasty I want to pay Callahan and keep him around. Unless there truly is no light at the end of the tunnel, I do not want to move Callahan. He's the kind of player that helps win Cups.

Extend him, now.

redwhiteandblue
01-22-2014, 03:31 PM

I agree fully. Look how much of a blessing the small addition of Carcillo has been because of what he brings in that department. Are people really under the impression that moving our most physical player is good for this team?

We already play like garbage when he's out of the lineup. He's a noticeable presence you don't find often.

Redfish
01-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Well, in advocating a trade of Callahan and for making Thomas Vanek our #1 free agent priority, I assumed we would receive a hard hitting, defensively sound 3rd line forward. Maybe they are difficult to acquire but Callahan's on ice presence would certainly be missed. He is usually top 5 in the league in Hits, or checks.

redwhiteandblue
01-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Yeah, no interest in losing that kind of presence.

As far as Vanek goes, no thanks.

bsi
01-22-2014, 06:24 PM
I want him resigned too but not for longer than 4 years and no more than 5 per....but that isnt what he is gonna want, for the same reasons I want a shorter contract he wants a longer one. Its because of his style of play, size and he is injury prone. I see Callahan looking for a 7 year 40 mill deal, he would prob settle for 6/35 or somewhere close to that but I dont know if we can handle that with the amount of games he loses to injury. So if we arent prepared to go that high we have to trade him, if you get say an Andrew Ladd then you havent lost anything unless you have to throw a pick in there.

nyr2002nyr
01-23-2014, 09:21 AM

They cant afford to lose any more of tough players. that being said we cant pay him 6-7 a year either

bsi
01-23-2014, 10:32 AM

They cant afford to lose any more of tough players. that being said we cant pay him 6-7 a year either

Nobody said you have to get a pansie back for him...I want him to stay and maybe he surprises me and takes a shorter contract but if he goes max we may have to send a 3rd pick and him out for a Ladd or Wheeler type since Cally is UFA.

nyr2002nyr
01-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Nobody said you have to get a pansie back for him...I want him to stay and maybe he surprises me and takes a shorter contract but if he goes max we may have to send a 3rd pick and him out for a Ladd or Wheeler type since Cally is UFA.

I know but Cally is not only tough he is a true leader and a spark plug. Hard to replace but cant afford to pay him 6-7 its a tough spot

bsi
01-23-2014, 11:42 AM

I know but Cally is not only tough he is a true leader and a spark plug. Hard to replace but cant afford to pay him 6-7 its a tough spot

Ya its why I think Ladd would be a good fit, leader and physical.

metswon69
01-25-2014, 07:24 PM

Love the captain but toughness can be replaced. I'd love him even more if he could be an effective center but we have to call a spade a spade too, he's been injured at least banged up quite a bit the last 2 or so seasons. He's been lucky to not have missed any significant time except for this season but his style of play does take a toll on someone's body.

I'd be comfortable with 4-5 years but not much more than that in terms of years. 5 years/27.5 sounds about right.

RangersMets
01-27-2014, 07:11 PM
In this system, he is a 3rd line player. He hardly does PP anymore (rightly so) but is still able to PK. He injured year in and year out as well. Play this year indicates deterioration akin to Chris Drury.

On the open market someone would give him 5/30 (references to guys like Clarkson, Clowe, etc.).

I wouldn't go over 4 years at $5 million per. That won't keep him here, especially with his agent.

If it came down to deciding keeping one of Girardi or Callahan, I would take Girardi.

bsi
01-28-2014, 01:05 AM
In this system, he is a 3rd line player. He hardly does PP anymore (rightly so) but is still able to PK. He injured year in and year out as well. Play this year indicates deterioration akin to Chris Drury.

On the open market someone would give him 5/30 (references to guys like Clarkson, Clowe, etc.).

I wouldn't go over 4 years at $5 million per. That won't keep him here, especially with his agent.

If it came down to deciding keeping one of Girardi or Callahan, I would take Girardi.

I am with ya here...if he wont sign by trade deadline its time for a trade, bring Dubi back haha.

bsi
01-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Quote from Bob MacKenzie
"Callahan is searching for a seven-year deal that is worth more than $6 million per season. Callahan will get that type of contract as a UFA". (McKenzie)

Trade time boys, he isn't worth near that because he isn't a consistant 30 goal guy and will not likely play another 82 game season + full playoffs again. He doesn't fit this team under this coach as well as he did under the last, I'm not sure what you get back for him but if we don't trade him or resign before years end he is gonna take flight.

nyr2002nyr
01-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Quote from Bob MacKenzie
"Callahan is searching for a seven-year deal that is worth more than $6 million per season. Callahan will get that type of contract as a UFA". (McKenzie)

Trade time boys, he isn't worth near that because he isn't a consistant 30 goal guy and will not likely play another 82 game season + full playoffs again. He doesn't fit this team under this coach as well as he did under the last, I'm not sure what you get back for him but if we don't trade him or resign before years end he is gonna take flight.

Yeah i saw this last night and i also saw Dan was looking for 7 years at 5.5

Redfish
01-29-2014, 10:54 AM
It has been 3+ years since the Rangers lost Michael Sauer and finally replaced him with Kevin Klein. I do not think the Rangers will let a 23min / night right-handed, #1 pair d-man (Girardi) go to the free-agency market. The Rangers will resign Girardi and, frankly, $5.5mm / season over 7 years does not concern me too much. There could be worse contracts (see: Brad Richards) and if their is a role to overpay for, #1 right-handed d-man may be it.

I think it will come down to the Rangers resigning Girardi but not Callahan. Even if the objective is to resign Callahan up to a price, Sather can manage team risk better and make Statsny a #1 free-agent target as Callahan's replacement, and the need for a #1 center is probably > 3rd line heart & soul, 40-45pt checking forward.

I've seen more people comment that Callahan has less of a role under AV; the fact he plays on our 3rd line now partly validates this notion. A 3rd line player cannot get paid close to $6mm/season; Stanley Cup rosters just aren't constructed that way, as far as I know.

nyr2002nyr
01-29-2014, 10:59 AM
It has been 3+ years since the Rangers lost Michael Sauer and finally replaced him with Kevin Klein. I do not think the Rangers will let a 23min / night right-handed, #1 pair d-man (Girardi) go to the free-agency market. The Rangers will resign Girardi and, frankly, $5.5mm / season over 7 years does not concern me too much. There could be worse contracts (see: Brad Richards) and if their is a role to overpay for, #1 right-handed d-man may be it.

I think it will come down to the Rangers resigning Girardi but not Callahan. Even if the objective is to resign Callahan up to a price, Sather can manage team risk better and make Statsny a #1 free-agent target as Callahan's replacement, and the need for a #1 center is probably > 3rd line heart & soul, 40-45pt checking forward.

I've seen more people comment that Callahan has less of a role under AV; the fact he plays on our 3rd line now partly validates this notion. A 3rd line player cannot get paid close to $6mm/season; Stanley Cup rosters just aren't constructed that way, as far as I know.

from last year his ice time has dropped almost 5 minutes a game under AV

nyr2002nyr
02-03-2014, 07:26 PM
After it coming out that on Buffalo would pay the salary he wanted im shocked to still hear thses kind of #'s

Ryan Callahan is asking for a 7 year deal that would pay him north of $6.5mil per year. Source: Darren Dreger

nyr1980
02-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Wow! Did Dreger just tweet that?

I know Cally is from up there,but does he really want to be part of what is likely a legthy re-build? I know the Sabres have had 8 picks in the first two rounds in the last two drafts, and will have their own high pick this year, plus whatever they get for Moulson and Miller, than another high pick next year plus the Islanders first,but still. They're 3-4 seasons away from contending. He'll use up the rest of his good hockey on a bubble team before they get good again.

redwhiteandblue
02-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Sabres have put themselves in a pretty good position to rebuild, with the 8 picks in the first two rounds mentioned above and the assets they stockpiled and will continue to stockpile this year.

Either way, Callahan will have to wait at least 2-3 years for things to pay off there, if it turns out the front office does well.

His demands at 7 years and north of $6.5 are ludicrous. Not a shot in hell he is getting that here and he shouldn't. Unfortunately it seems he will be gone and someone will step into that leadership role but it is what it is.

redwhiteandblue
02-03-2014, 11:04 PM
I think, even if it's not very bold, I would have to predict this turns out he either a) wants to be in NY but wants to be in Buffalo more but assumes if the Rangers meet his crazy demands so be it, or, b) he is staying out of the negotiation part and listening to his representation which he in turn may end up leaving if he's not happy down the road.

nyr1980
02-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Sabres have put themselves in a pretty good position to rebuild, with the 8 picks in the first two rounds mentioned above and the assets they stockpiled and will continue to stockpile this year.

Either way, Callahan will have to wait at least 2-3 years for things to pay off there, if it turns out the front office does well.

His demands at 7 years and north of $6.5 are ludicrous. Not a shot in hell he is getting that here and he shouldn't. Unfortunately it seems he will be gone and someone will step into that leadership role but it is what it is.

Agreed. I think LaFontaine will get that team straightened out and build a team that will be competitive. But it took the Pens, with 5 straight seasons of top 5 picks, quite a while to turn it around. Really didn't happen until they drafted Crosby, and he's the rarest of the rare. Not sure Cally wants to sit through all that.

redwhiteandblue
02-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Not to mention Malkin, who was pegged to be a generational talent also.

Fleury is a good goalie but I don't value him as high as a #1 overall but they were in the end well off taking him as it just filled a need and for a long time for that matter.

nyr1980
02-04-2014, 12:25 AM

Fleury is a good goalie but I don't value him as high as a #1 overall but they were in the end well off taking him as it just filled a need and for a long time for that matter.

Yup.

Fleury was a bit of a reach at 1 overall, and was drafted for his athleticism. He was not great in junior,but had a wonderful WJC the year he was drafted and it was not considered a great draft for goalies.

bsi
02-04-2014, 01:13 AM

Yup.

Fleury was a bit of a reach at 1 overall, and was drafted for his athleticism. He was not great in junior,but had a wonderful WJC the year he was drafted and it was not considered a great draft for goalies.

Fleury was good in junior, his team wasnt the best. The Pens drafted him first because they needed a goalie. He has been really good this year after being mediocre last year. Made a incredible save on Karlsson tonight.

nyr1980
02-04-2014, 01:57 AM
Fleury was good in junior, his team wasnt the best. The Pens drafted him first because they needed a goalie. He has been really good this year after being mediocre last year. Made a incredible save on Karlsson tonight.

You would know better than I. I can't say I'm terribly familiar with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. I just know his numbers weren't all too well in his years there. But I do remember watching him play a few games in WJC that year and his athleticism stood out. Tremendous athlete, which is a huge reason why he's so strong in shootouts. And the save he made on Karlsson tonight was outstanding.

They were absolutely drafting to fill that need when they picked him. He was the clear cut top goalie in that draft.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I know he wasn't universally thought of as the top pick pre-draft, but I do believe pretty much everyone had him going in the top 3-5 picks. I know the Pens reached a little due to their need, but they didn't reach far.

They can't be disappointed in that pick. He's won them a cup, and took them to another, and playoff struggles aside, he's been excellent for them in the regular season pretty much across the board. Guys issue has always been his inconsistency, proneness for giving up softies, and when it goes bad for him, it goes really bad. But he's all reflex and athleticism. Not real sound fundamentally or positionally.

bsi
02-04-2014, 09:29 AM

You would know better than I. I can't say I'm terribly familiar with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. I just know his numbers weren't all too well in his years there. But I do remember watching him play a few games in WJC that year and his athleticism stood out. Tremendous athlete, which is a huge reason why he's so strong in shootouts. And the save he made on Karlsson tonight was outstanding.

They were absolutely drafting to fill that need when they picked him. He was the clear cut top goalie in that draft.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I know he wasn't universally thought of as the top pick pre-draft, but I do believe pretty much everyone had him going in the top 3-5 picks. I know the Pens reached a little due to their need, but they didn't reach far.

They can't be disappointed in that pick. He's won them a cup, and took them to another, and playoff struggles aside, he's been excellent for them in the regular season pretty much across the board. Guys issue has always been his inconsistency, proneness for giving up softies, and when it goes bad for him, it goes really bad. But he's all reflex and athleticism. Not real sound fundamentally or positionally.

Ya he was the #1 goalie that year but in hindsight there were a lot of good players in that draft. Eric Staaal, Ryan Getzlaf, Zack Parise , Shea Weber, Ryan Suter to name a few but Pitsburgh picked with need and you can't fault them especially when you see the direction Edmonton has gone with their drafts the last 7 years picking the best player in each draft regardless of position, it really has set them back with holes in their back end and in goal. I think Fleury was actually ranked 6th in pre draft rankings that year.It seems Fleury's problems were between the ears as he went to a sports psychologist last summer and its seemed to have payed off.

nyr2002nyr
02-04-2014, 10:14 AM

His numbers from this to last year are almost exactly the same. His problem will happen when he hits playoffs like always

bsi
02-04-2014, 10:31 AM

His numbers from this to last year are almost exactly the same. His problem will happen when he hits playoffs like always

Playoffs will tell if the sports psychologist worked or not I agree, but his season this year has less highs and lows than last year, he has been more consistant.

nyr1980
02-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Playoffs will tell if the sports psychologist worked or not I agree, but his season this year has less highs and lows than last year, he has been more consistant.

He has. But I think defensively they've been better in front of him.

We'll see. That season the lost to Detroit, he was outstanding. When they won the following year, he was very good.

But since, he's been awful, and IMO, it's had to do with his poor positioning and fundamentals.

nyr2002nyr
02-04-2014, 11:25 AM

We'll see. That season the lost to Detroit, he was outstanding. When they won the following year, he was very good.

But since, he's been awful, and IMO, it's had to do with his poor positioning and fundamentals.

I think its all in his head myself

bsi
02-04-2014, 11:51 AM

I think its all in his head myself

Ya me too.

redwhiteandblue
02-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Cally had a great night last night btw.

Just figured since it was a cally thread and all..

bsi
02-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Cally had a great night last night btw.

Just figured since it was a cally thread and all..

Happy he had a good game, hope he doesn't think he's worth 8 million now based on last night.

nyr2002nyr
02-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Happy he had a good game, hope he doesn't think he's worth 8 million now based on last night.

:cheers:

LOL why stop at 8 the last reports on him were higher then we all thought

redwhiteandblue
02-05-2014, 01:07 PM

Had dinner with a friend last night and watched the game. Cally has been my favorite Ranger since Jagr left, perhaps on par with Hank actually.

I have to be honest, I always pegged him as a team player when this day came, not a greed-hog.

He must not even trust his body if he needs this pay day or security. That, or he truly wants to be in Buffalo and nowhere else.

Redfish
02-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Had dinner with a friend last night and watched the game. Cally has been my favorite Ranger since Jagr left, perhaps on par with Hank actually.

I have to be honest, I always pegged him as a team player when this day came, not a greed-hog.

He must not even trust his body if he needs this pay day or security. That, or he truly wants to be in Buffalo and nowhere else.

I am not convinced Callahan is being greedy. I tend to believe he has fairly identified his value as an unrestricted free agent and is telling the Rangers he is not offering them a hometeam discount. Hank did not offer a hometeam discount, and players such as Richards, Gaborik, Drury, and Gomez were outsiders getting paid top dollar to play in NY during Callahan's time here. Why should he offer hometeam discount?

I'm good with Callahan asking for top dollar; as GM, though, that doesn't mean I would meet his asking price and bypass trading him.

nyr2002nyr
02-05-2014, 01:26 PM
I am not convinced Callahan is being greedy. I tend to believe he has fairly identified his value as an unrestricted free agent and is telling the Rangers he is not offering them a hometeam discount. Hank did not offer a hometeam discount, and players such as Richards, Gaborik, Drury, and Gomez were outsiders getting paid top dollar to play in NY during Callahan's time here. Why should he offer hometeam discount?

I'm good with Callahan asking for top dollar; as GM, though, that doesn't mean I would meet his asking price and bypass trading him.

Lots of people think Hank gave one. Most say he would have gotten way more if he had become a FA. That being said yesterday it came out that Cally was wanting $$ closer to 46 mil which is higher then we all have heard until this point

bsi
02-05-2014, 01:35 PM

Sure, ask for it i dont blame him for wanting what he can get but he has to be realistic with his true value. If he is a 7 million dollar player in this league what are the Crosby's, Ovechkin's, Stamkos' s worth? Even Dan Girardi is worth more to this team than him so if Cally is 6.75 then do we pay Girardi 7.5? If this is where contracts are headed we got a major steal signing Hank longterm.

Redfish
02-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Lots of people think Hank gave one. Most say he would have gotten way more if he had become a FA. That being said yesterday it came out that Cally was wanting $$ closer to 46 mil which is higher then we all have heard until this point

Really? I did not hear of reports Hank could have gotten way more than $8.5mm. That seemed like full value to me but maybe not. Yeah, the recent #s pertaining to Callahan are definitely higher than originally reported; but I think that is the free agent market and Cally is just marking himself to market.

Did Sather state this has to be resolved before the roster freeze? We'll find out soon enough.

redwhiteandblue
02-05-2014, 01:39 PM

Granted, he has identified a fair market value for himself, but it still does not surprise me after all these years he wants to push himself towards UFA rather than stay here and complete what he started. That, given his track record of character and dignity, to me is just strikingly surprising.

And to compare him to Hank is moot. He is the best player in the world at his position, the lifeblood of this team. IMO, though, Hank could have gotten a lot more money if he went open market. So, like it or not, it's a fair deal for us.

nyr1980
02-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Granted, he has identified a fair market value for himself, but it still does not surprise me after all these years he wants to push himself towards UFA rather than stay here and complete what he started. That, given his track record of character and dignity, to me is just strikingly surprising.

And to compare him to Hank is moot. He is the best player in the world at his position, the lifeblood of this team. IMO, though, Hank could have gotten a lot more money if he went open market. So, like it or not, it's a fair deal for us.

Hank would undoubtedly have gotten more money if he went UFA. There would have been somewhere between 15-25 teams bidding against each other, driving up the price.

fingerbang
02-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Hank would undoubtedly have gotten more money if he went UFA. There would have been somewhere between 15-25 teams bidding against each other, driving up the price.

IDK about that just because he's a goalie. So many teams already have one and the contenders that could use him already have high payrolls. I don't think he would have had many options.

bsi
02-05-2014, 04:05 PM

IDK about that just because he's a goalie. So many teams already have one and the contenders that could use him already have high payrolls. I don't think he would have had many options.

I disagree with ya there, Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, etc would have had interest in him, enough that the price would have been high. Edmonton would have thrown the bank at him IMO as it would have helped jump start their already too long rebuild.

bsi
02-05-2014, 04:18 PM
I still think against the teams better judgement that Cally will get over paid to stay and Girardi will sign as well.

nyr2002nyr
02-05-2014, 04:27 PM
i disagree with ya there, edmonton, calgary, florida, etc would have had interest in him, enough that the price would have been high. Edmonton would have thrown the bank at him imo as it would have helped jump start their already too long rebuild.

philly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fingerbang
02-05-2014, 04:33 PM
I disagree with ya there, Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, etc would have had interest in him, enough that the price would have been high. Edmonton would have thrown the bank at him IMO as it would have helped jump start their already too long rebuild.

I could see Edmonton and Calgary offering a lot but it's highly unlikely that he would sign there. Not to mention going to a smaller city kills his marketability.

fingerbang
02-05-2014, 04:34 PM
philly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the goalie graveyard

redwhiteandblue
02-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Anaheim and Colorado would have surely been players. If you think Philly wouldn't have gone out of their way to make a huge push you're wrong.

Colorado, if I was Lundqvist and on the open market, would be a hard look. Not to mention Chicago.

Two points related to the same reference a) how many teams went out of their way to make room for the possibility to nab Kovalchuk (another prime-aged, top ten player in the league) and b) look at what a surprise of a team he went to. Granted I think Kovalchuk was more about money in the end, but it's hard to say what really will ever happen and there's always a team that will surprise you.

nyr2002nyr
02-05-2014, 04:57 PM
the goalie graveyard

That poor team has been blaming goalies for 25+ years~!!!!

fingerbang
02-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Anaheim and Colorado would have surely been players. If you think Philly wouldn't have gone out of their way to make a huge push you're wrong.

Colorado, if I was Lundqvist and on the open market, would be a hard look. Not to mention Chicago.

Two points related to the same reference a) how many teams went out of their way to make room for the possibility to nab Kovalchuk (another prime-aged, top ten player in the league) and b) look at what a surprise of a team he went to. Granted I think Kovalchuk was more about money in the end, but it's hard to say what really will ever happen and there's always a team that will surprise you.

Colorado just re-signed Varlamov, they wouldn't have been players. Anaheim, mayber, but they've gotten solid production out of their two guys. Chicago would absolutely not make room for a 9 or 10 million dollar goalie. Just look at all their homegrown players they've let walk in recent years.

I don't think Hank would go to Philly if they offered him a million more, it's hell for a goalie.

There wouldn't be many players.

nyr1980
02-05-2014, 05:48 PM
It's funny about Callahan and what's being sais about him, his contract demands, and the Rangers.

Melrose did chat on ESPN today and naturally took some questions re: Cally.

He said that given the history of the Rangers and overpaying for players, it's funny they're unwilling to pay Cally. I think he's overlooking the fact that they've moved away from that in the past few years, and organizationally they've made a concerted effort to stop doing so.

redwhiteandblue
02-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Colorado just re-signed Varlamov, they wouldn't have been players. Anaheim, mayber, but they've gotten solid production out of their two guys. Chicago would absolutely not make room for a 9 or 10 million dollar goalie. Just look at all their homegrown players they've let walk in recent years.

I don't think Hank would go to Philly if they offered him a million more, it's hell for a goalie.

I think, especially in Colorado's case, Varlamov doesn't maybe get an extension if Lundqvist isn't re-signed. I will imply he holds that much value on the open market. It is an arbitrary idea that Colorado does not re-sign Varly if Hank is looking to walk and you may disagree, but it's plausible as is this whole conversation.

I believe Chicago takes a look at it if they can, but you're probably right in the long run they don't need to go out of their way to get him. The point about letting players walk I will refute though with the fact that the only reason that one big crop of homegrown guys walked from Chicago is a front office miscue of forgetting to sign papers and hand them into the league.

nyr2002nyr
02-05-2014, 06:23 PM
It originally was reported in this space Callahan’s asking price is seven years for $42 million. Wrong, according to a general manager of one club who has been in touch with Sather about dealing for Callahan, and who told The Post it is, “Seven years at six plus-plus-plus [million per].” So let’s posit, seven years at $47 million.

nyr2002nyr
02-05-2014, 06:24 PM

When you are a free agent and you are leaving the team you play for everyone is in play. Don't think otherwise

fingerbang
02-05-2014, 06:33 PM
I think, especially in Colorado's case, Varlamov doesn't maybe get an extension if Lundqvist isn't re-signed. I will imply he holds that much value on the open market. It is an arbitrary idea that Colorado does not re-sign Varly if Hank is looking to walk and you may disagree, but it's plausible as is this whole conversation.

I believe Chicago takes a look at it if they can, but you're probably right in the long run they don't need to go out of their way to get him. The point about letting players walk I will refute though with the fact that the only reason that one big crop of homegrown guys walked from Chicago is a front office miscue of forgetting to sign papers and hand them into the league.

They had to trade away Byfuglien and Ladd because to free up space after the 2010 run. They sign Lundqvist to a huge deal and they risk losing a Toews/Kane or even a Saad/Shaw.

redwhiteandblue
02-05-2014, 06:35 PM
If I were Chicago, I would consider unloading an aging Marian Hossa at his peak if I were to take a run at Lundqvist. Not to mention it makes Crawford expendable.

fingerbang
02-05-2014, 06:37 PM
When you are a free agent and you are leaving the team you play for everyone is in play. Don't think otherwise

Not really. Would you risk your legacy as a potential hall of famer and go play in Philly in your final years for a little bit more money? I'd avoid it like the plague.

redwhiteandblue
02-05-2014, 06:38 PM
It may be against their policy, I'm merely arguing that it wouldn't be out of the realm that even a team like Chicago would make pieces move to have a talent like Lundqvist join the team.

fingerbang
02-05-2014, 06:41 PM
But very unlikey. They obviously like Crawford and Marian Hossa is pretty damn important to that team right now. Not to mention they've proven that they can win their current team, they don't have to make changes.

redwhiteandblue
02-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Chicago is also becoming a bit of a sticking point, I was trying to explain that if a team truly wanted to, which plenty would, they would make the appropriate moves to make it happen.

Chicago was not the best idea I suppose, but I was trying to think of a team who has a good goalie but would upgrade. I don't think we see eye to eye on how likely that is though.

fingerbang
02-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Chicago is also becoming a bit of a sticking point, I was trying to explain that if a team truly wanted to, which plenty would, they would make the appropriate moves to make it happen.

Chicago was not the best idea I suppose, but I was trying to think of a team who has a good goalie but would upgrade. I don't think we see eye to eye on how likely that is though.

But that's the thing, the market sucks for goalies. There's only 30 starting spots and a large chunk of franchises are completely content with who they have in net already. A lot of those teams also have goalies that are younger.

The Rangers made him the highest paid goalie by 1.5 million and gave him a contract that will last beyond his prime. He didn't take a hometown discount.

redwhiteandblue
02-05-2014, 07:08 PM
It's your assumption many teams are content just as it is my assumption that teams would line up to get him.

Neither is wrong, there just is no proof of what would have happen. My opinion and yours alike is very arbitrary.

fingerbang
02-05-2014, 07:26 PM
It's your assumption many teams are content just as it is my assumption that teams would line up to get him.

Neither is wrong, there just is no proof of what would have happen. My opinion and yours alike is very arbitrary.

You're assuming that a young Colorado team isn't content with the guy they just handed a 5 year extension to and that they'd rather go forward with an older goalie that's significantly more expensive. And you're also assuming that Chicago would move one of their best players to make room for him and that they'd also be able to find a trade partner for Crawford.

The fact that's all these scenarios have to happen just to find a good fit for Lundqvist goes to show that the market isn't good. Not to mention the fact that a team would have to be willing to pay around three more million dollars than the current highest paid goalie just to say that Hank would have gotten more on the open market.

bsi
02-05-2014, 09:27 PM
It's funny about Callahan and what's being sais about him, his contract demands, and the Rangers.

Melrose did chat on ESPN today and naturally took some questions re: Cally.

He said that given the history of the Rangers and overpaying for players, it's funny they're unwilling to pay Cally. I think he's overlooking the fact that they've moved away from that in the past few years, and organizationally they've made a concerted effort to stop doing so.

Honestly I thought 5 years 30 million that Sather offered was a slight overpay and I was ok with it since it was our captain, I am pretty sure Sather thought he was being more than fair, adding another 1.75 a year plus 2 years to that is being gready IMO.

bsi
02-05-2014, 09:32 PM
I find it hard to believe there would be no market for arguably the best goalie in the league, I understand teams like L.A, Montreal, Nashville, and Boston would stay put but most others would look at it as an opportunity to upgrade that position. Much like if Jonathan Toews became available most of the league would be involved and find a way to make it work, same would happen for Hank.

nyr1980
02-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Honestly I thought 5 years 30 million that Sather offered was a slight overpay and I was ok with it since it was our captain, I am pretty sure Sather thought he was being more than fair, adding another 1.75 a year plus 2 years to that is being gready IMO.

I can see that point. Much as I love Cally, he's a 25-goal, 50-55 point guy at his best. That makes him a top-6, but really a secondary scorer and it's very hard to justify paying $6mil a year to a secondary scorer.

With that being said, I say a quality secondary scorer is worth in the 4-5 a year range. If you add in Cally's other elements, both tangible and intangible (energy, physicality/hitting, shot blocking, PK'ing, good responsibility defensively, leadership, eic.) plus the fact that he is their captain, that ups the price into the 5-6 a year range, IMO. Plus, cost of living and taxes in NYC mean you have to go a bit higher sometimes too.

I think the 6 a year is a bit high, but not egregiously high and a number that they can both live with and justify in the interest of retaining his services. They might even be willing to go a little above 6 (maybe as high as 6.25) per year, though I think that'd be crazy, to keep him if that gets a deal done. But they can't go beyond 5 years. In all reality, at that money, they're going to get into year 5 of that deal (5/30) and be unhappy. In fact, I think they'll start to have that feeling towards the tail-end of year 4.

At this point, I think they need to stick to their guns. The 30 over 5 is more than fair. If he's unwilling, then you find the best deal and move it. Overpaying has hurt them too much and they are moving away from that. They can't go back on that now.

bsi
02-05-2014, 11:06 PM
I just find that we are at a point where this deal is going to affect the Girardi deal, and since this negotiation started it seems as though Girardi's has stalled as his agent is probably waiting to see how much Callahan gets so he can ask for more. We heard a couple weeks ago that Sather was confident he would resign Girardi, haven't heard a thing since. My thought is that if Callahan gets close to 7 a year then Girardi would be a fool to take 6 per. We are almost to the point where we have to trade Cally to keep Girardi's contract wants under control.

nyr1980
02-05-2014, 11:13 PM
I find it hard to believe there would be no market for arguably the best goalie in the league, I understand teams like L.A, Montreal, Nashville, and Boston would stay put but most others would look at it as an opportunity to upgrade that position. Much like if Jonathan Toews became available most of the league would be involved and find a way to make it work, same would happen for Hank.

I agree.

In the hypothetical he went to UFA, his agent would take sit down, face-to-face meetings with many, many teams. I'd say half the leagues teams would seriously consider him, with perhaps a dozen teams making offers:

BUF, CAR, CGY, DAL, EDM, FLA, MIN, NYI, OTT, PHI, STL, WSH, & WPG.

IMO, all those teams would pursue him.

nyr1980
02-05-2014, 11:32 PM
I just find that we are at a point where this deal is going to affect the Girardi deal, and since this negotiation started it seems as though Girardi's has stalled as his agent is probably waiting to see how much Callahan gets so he can ask for more. We heard a couple weeks ago that Sather was confident he would resign Girardi, haven't heard a thing since. My thought is that if Callahan gets close to 7 a year then Girardi would be a fool to take 6 per. We are almost to the point where we have to trade Cally to keep Girardi's contract wants under control.

I've had that same concern.

The reported deal Slats offered was very fair, but I'm hoping the situation with Cally doesn't drive up the price.

redwhiteandblue
02-06-2014, 01:40 AM
To me, it's semantics. I believe that there would be a) plenty of teams with cap space that would come knocking and b) enough teams that even though they have a comfortable goalie situation now would monitor Lundqvist's situation closely in case to make a move. You disagree, but as I said I think a talent like Lundqvists is game-changing.

nyr1980
02-06-2014, 02:29 AM
To me, it's semantics. I believe that there would be a) plenty of teams with cap space that would come knocking and b) enough teams that even though they have a comfortable goalie situation now would monitor Lundqvist's situation closely in case to make a move. You disagree, but as I said I think a talent like Lundqvists is game-changing.

Every team would have the conversation or ask, "What about getting Lundqvist?"

Most teams would at least kick the tires on him.

NYSPORTS98
02-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Seven years is a loooong time. Hope he reconsiders.

fingerbang
02-06-2014, 03:47 PM

Kicking the tires is a lot different from we're going to offer him 10 million dollars a year over seven years. Remember, the Rangers already made him the highest paid goalie in the league by a decent margin. Saying all these teams are going to come in and start shedding salary and start shopping their current goalies is such a stretch. I still haven't seen one team that has the cap space to burn that's a good fit for him.

IAmARanger18
02-06-2014, 03:52 PM
5 @ 5.5 is my price.

fingerbang
02-06-2014, 04:03 PM
I agree.

In the hypothetical he went to UFA, his agent would take sit down, face-to-face meetings with many, many teams. I'd say half the leagues teams would seriously consider him, with perhaps a dozen teams making offers:

BUF, CAR, CGY, DAL, EDM, FLA, MIN, NYI, OTT, PHI, STL, WSH, & WPG.

IMO, all those teams would pursue him.

Buffalo is rebuilding. If Miller doesn't want to stay, why would Lundqvist go there?

Calgary is a bad city with a bad team. I don't know what to tell you if you think Hank would honestly leave NY to play in Calgary for a little bit more money. This is assuming their front office actually thinks spending a ton of cash on a goalie is the right direction right now.

Dallas has a good goalie already at a good price.

Edmonton, another bad city to go play in. Hank's going to leave to go to a bad team that doesn't play defense?

Florida sells 5 dollar tickets and are in a rebuild. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell they're bidding up the Rangers.

Minnesota, maybe. They're supposed to be in on Vanek.

Islanders are not landing Lundqvist. You and I both know that's not happening.

Washington has Holtby who's a solid young goalie and they desperately have to go get forwards with their limited cap space.

Winnepeg is another bad city to play in with a bad team.

The team's that go run up offers in the offseason are the big market teams like the Rangers, Toronto, Montreal, etc. They have goalies.

bsi
02-06-2014, 04:05 PM

Kicking the tires is a lot different from we're going to offer him 10 million dollars a year over seven years. Remember, the Rangers already made him the highest paid goalie in the league by a decent margin. Saying all these teams are going to come in and start shedding salary and start shapping their current goalie is such a stretch. I still haven't seen one team that has the cap space to burn that's a good fit for him.

Two teams who would bid hard on him for example...San Jose, they could easily swing it, I dont think Hank would mind playing there and that aquisition would put them in the top 3 of teams favoured to win the cup IMO. Pretty sure Anaheim could swing it too, and then they would have assets to trade in Hiller or Fast. Neither team would want to see the other get Hendrik, instant bidding war.

fingerbang
02-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Two teams who would bid hard on him for example...San Jose, they could easily swing it, I dont think Hank would mind playing there and that aquisition would put them in the top 3 of teams favoured to win the cup IMO. Pretty sure Anaheim could swing it too, and then they would have assets to trade in Hiller or Fast. Neither team would want to see the other get Hendrik, instant bidding war.

Niemi and Hiller are talented goalies. You have to have a serious need at goalie to go drop an unprecedented amount of cash on a goalie who's on the wrong side of 30.

nyr1980
02-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Buffalo is rebuilding. If Miller doesn't want to stay, why would Lundqvist go there?

Calgary is a bad city with a bad team. I don't know what to tell you if you think Hank would honestly leave NY to play in Calgary for a little bit more money. This is assuming their front office actually thinks spending a ton of cash on a goalie is the right direction right now.

Edmonton, another bad city to go play in. Hank's going to leave to go to a bad team that doesn't play defense?

Florida sells 5 dollar tickets and are in a rebuild. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell they're bidding up the Rangers.

Washington has Holtby who's a solid young goalie and they desperately have to go get forwards with their limited cap space.

The team's that go run up offers in the offseason are the big market teams like the Rangers, Toronto, Montreal, etc. They have goalies.

All valid points, and there's a large group of teams amongst those I mentioned that he wouldn't consider.

But just because you or anyone else thinks that a particular team is a bad fit or that he wouldn't sign there, for whatever reason, doesn't mean they would not make him an offer and try to pursue him.

Moreover, he and his agent would take EVERY meeting from EVERY team hat expressed interest. It's part of the process.

For example, In the summer of 2011, Richards and his camp took a meeting with Calgary. I don't think anyone thought he'd sign there, but he nonetheless took the meeting.

nyr2002nyr
02-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Seven years is a loooong time. Hope he reconsiders.

For the $$ he wants he could finish a little more often!! He had the game on his stick at least 3 times last night

nyr2002nyr
02-07-2014, 09:18 AM

The first line "why would he go there?" Are you kidding when you go on to become a FA and decide NOT to stay with your team its for one reason and one only $$$$$ thats why he would go $$$$$$$

Dont talk about the Leafs having a goalie. Reimer set the single season save % in leafs history last year and they brought in someone else in the offseason they are always lookig

bsi
02-07-2014, 11:17 AM

Niemi and Hiller are talented goalies. You have to have a serious need at goalie to go drop an unprecedented amount of cash on a goalie who's on the wrong side of 30.

Its not often a Hendrik Lundqvist comes along. Niemi and Hiller are good goalies, Hendrik is elite. Even Toronto would dump both their goalies to get hendrik...the line up is longer than you would think.

nyr2002nyr
02-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Its not often a Hendrik Lundqvist comes along. Niemi and Hiller are good goalies, Hendrik is elite. Even Toronto would dump both their goalies to get hendrik...the line up is longer than you would think.

That and he is acting like players always do whats best for thier playing careers and not take the $$ sadly enough it happens more then we think

NYSPORTS98
02-07-2014, 12:43 PM
For the $$ he wants he could finish a little more often!! He had the game on his stick at least 3 times last night

I agree

This is the very reason I want Richards gone. The total contract (dollars and years) is measured against other talent. We know the value of Callahan yet if Richards get $60 million then why can't the Captain ask for $40 plus? It's a problem

SLY WILLIAMS
02-07-2014, 05:03 PM
I agree

This is the very reason I want Richards gone. The total contract (dollars and years) is measured against other talent. We know the value of Callahan yet if Richards get $60 million then why can't the Captain ask for $40 plus? It's a problem

When younger guys who are producing like Kreider, Mats, etc come due down the road will Cally and Brad's deals still look okay? Its a tough position. i think many people would like to keep Cally, Brad or both BUT 6-7 years? That is they real issue in my opinion.

nyr1980
02-07-2014, 05:48 PM

Glad someone else said that or had that thought.

And he did not register a SOG, missing the net all three times.

If you want sniper money, you better be a sniper and bury those.

ShadyOne
02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Seriously..

This team drives me crazy how often they turn top notch scoring chances into nothing. With as many tight games as we play, look at all the times odd-man rushes and open shots in the slot totally miss the net. At least get off a good shot on net that produces a rebound. Callahan does this a lot, and man, Richards must lead the league in that department.

If we are going to pay guys 6m+ a season, they should be putting a lot of those in the back of the net

nyr1980
02-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Seriously..

This team drives me crazy how often they turn top notch scoring chances into nothing. With as many tight games as we play, look at all the times odd-man rushes and open shots in the slot totally miss the net. At least get off a good shot on net that produces a rebound. Callahan does this a lot, and man, Richards must lead the league in that department.

If we are going to pay guys 6m+ a season, they should be putting a lot of those in the back of the net

They need a shooter on the wing other than Nash.

Love the speed and skill they have, but really they lack on more shooter.

gokreidergo
02-09-2014, 03:30 PM
His price is stupidity. He's going to pay for it when they ship him off elsewhere and nobody will hear from him again.