PDA

View Full Version : Should New York Trade Melo?

SINCESTARBURY25
01-21-2014, 12:46 AM
Would you trade him or hold on to him if it was your decision? What pieces can you package with him and whats the best situation you can come out with? :eyebrow:

Duncan = Donkey
01-21-2014, 12:49 AM
What would you want from PHX, not saying I want Melo. Just curious about the return you would want/expect

BGeer091
01-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Dragic, Len, Okafor and pics

shep33
01-21-2014, 12:53 AM
Who could they trade him for in reality? They won't trade him to a scrub team because he'll just leave.

I mean the only team that can maybe make a deal for him are the Bulls.

I say keep him and hope for the best in 2015-2016

SINCESTARBURY25
01-21-2014, 12:53 AM
Eric Bledsoe, Alex Len and a first round pick in this years draft top 10 only.
Lots of young talent there.
pg-Eric Bledsoe
Sg-Hardaway Jr
sf-Shumpert
pf-Aaron Gordon
C-Alex Len

kobe4thewinbang
01-21-2014, 12:55 AM
If they don't trade him, he is probably going to sign with another team, i.e. a repeat of the Dwightmare. It would be awful if both LeBron and Carmelo left. I'm sure Knicks fans would boo Melo for life. But that's the situation. I think they should trade for a proven big man and some shooters with draft picks.

JLynn943
01-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Knicks should absolutely trade him. If Melo wants to win, he's not going to re-sign. That team isn't close right now.

At the same time, I don't think there's a team out there that would give everything the Knicks would want for a half-season rental. Maybe the Mavericks would just because Cuban likes to gamble and they could make a playoff push, but I'm not sure they even have something to tempt the Knicks.

championships
01-21-2014, 12:58 AM
NY should learn from what happened with CLE and LA.
If the guy doesn't say he absolutely wants to stay or says he wants to test the FA market, Get what you can for him while you can.

JLynn943
01-21-2014, 01:02 AM
Who could they trade him for in reality? They won't trade him to a scrub team because he'll just leave.

I mean the only team that can maybe make a deal for him are the Bulls.

I say keep him and hope for the best in 2015-2016

Dallas, Phoenix, Detroit (Monroe?), maybe New Orleans since they're supposedly looking to dump Gordon/Tyreke

SINCESTARBURY25
01-21-2014, 01:04 AM
Replace Gordon with Anthony Davis and we got a deal ill even give you shumpert,felton heck whoever you want.

kobe4thewinbang
01-21-2014, 01:04 AM
Dallas, Phoenix, Detroit (Monroe?), maybe New Orleans since they're supposedly looking to dump Gordon/TyrekeI would like to see him with Dallas because Dirk's time is ending and they need a new star, but yeah, what would they offer? I can't see NY trading him to the Bulls or Detroit. Phoenix is kinda doing their own thing right now and getting better, don't see Melo fitting in there.

JLynn943
01-21-2014, 01:05 AM
Replace Gordon with Anthony Davis and we got a deal ill even give you shumpert,felton heck whoever you want.

lol, no chance at all that the Knicks would get Davis for a half year of Melo

B'sCeltsPatsSox
01-21-2014, 01:06 AM
Eric Bledsoe, Alex Len and a first round pick in this years draft top 10 only.
Lots of young talent there.
pg-Eric Bledsoe
Sg-Hardaway Jr
sf-Shumpert
pf-Aaron Gordon
C-Alex Len

Suns don't have any available top 10 picks in this year's draft. Three of them are essentially lotto protected and the other(their own) probably wouldn't result into a top 10 pick if they traded for Melo.

Pelicans have made it clear they're building around Davis...

JLynn943
01-21-2014, 01:07 AM
I would like to see him with Dallas because Dirk's time is ending and they need a new star, but yeah, what would they offer? I can't see NY trading him to the Bulls or Detroit. Phoenix is kinda doing their own thing right now and getting better, don't see Melo fitting in there.

Yeah, Dallas seems the most realistic as far as a team actually wanting Melo, but they can't offer much. Just for salary's sake, they'd have to throw Marion and probably Calderon in there, plus a first. Don't think that gets it done though.

JordansBulls
01-21-2014, 01:09 AM
Taj/Miriotic for Melo

kobe4thewinbang
01-21-2014, 01:10 AM
Yeah, Dallas seems the most realistic as far as a team actually wanting Melo, but they can't offer much. Just for salary's sake, they'd have to throw Marion and probably Calderon in there, plus a first. Don't think that gets it done though.Makes you wonder if they should've traded for Melo when Dallas was stacked instead of letting Chandler join the Knicks (and Kidd). Dirk & Melo would be interesting back then.

JLynn943
01-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Makes you wonder if they should've traded for Melo when Dallas was stacked instead of letting Chandler join the Knicks (and Kidd). Dirk & Melo would be interesting back then.

Yeah, I would have liked to have seen that combination. Not sure how the cap space would have worked or anything, but it would have been interesting. Maybe they could get it done this season still.

mightybosstone
01-21-2014, 01:17 AM
My take on this is the same as it was a few months ago. You only trade him if you're damn sure he's not thinking about re-signing. If you're New York, you can't afford to deal Melo if he's still leaning toward wanting to be a Knick. As mediocre as he's been at times this season, he's still been a top 10-15 guy over the last decade and those guys aren't easy to come by. They're not going to get another top 10-15 caliber player for him in a deal. They just aren't. So if they deal him, they need to feel pretty confident that he's on his way out and just get the best possible deal they can.

I'd sit down with Melo and really talk about what he wants as a player and as a person. If he wants to stay in New York and you can sell him on riding out this rough patch, then you damn sure do it. If he wants to win now and he's on his way out, then you abide his wishes and deal him by the trade deadline to the highest bidder.

SINCESTARBURY25
01-21-2014, 01:18 AM
Blake for Melo straight up.

AddiX
01-21-2014, 01:20 AM
I said after the 6th or 7th game this team is flat and just doesn't have it, and we should trade everyone. They all have team friendly contracts besides amare, and there's a lot of players that contending teams could want.

Start the rebuilding process now while they still have value, of course Dolan won't do that though. He will remain his stubborn self.

The only guys we need to keep are shump and hardaway.

JLynn943
01-21-2014, 01:27 AM
My take on this is the same as it was a few months ago. You only trade him if you're damn sure he's not thinking about re-signing. If you're New York, you can't afford to deal Melo if he's still leaning toward wanting to be a Knick. As mediocre as he's been at times this season, he's still been a top 10-15 guy over the last decade and those guys aren't easy to come by. They're not going to get another top 10-15 caliber player for him in a deal. They just aren't. So if they deal him, they need to feel pretty confident that he's on his way out and just get the best possible deal they can.

I'd sit down with Melo and really talk about what he wants as a player and as a person. If he wants to stay in New York and you can sell him on riding out this rough patch, then you damn sure do it. If he wants to win now and he's on his way out, then you abide his wishes and deal him by the trade deadline to the highest bidder.

Yeah, I mean, if Melo wants to stay in New York, then you keep him. I'm just going off the assumption he wants to win sooner rather than later and will look for a better team willing to pay him.

mightybosstone
01-21-2014, 01:35 AM
Blake for Melo straight up.

I wouldn't do that if I'm LA. Blake has made a lot of improvements in his game this season, and you could argue he's actually been better than Melo. Plus, he's five years younger and he's locked in until 2017. So, why should the Clippers make that deal?

Blitzace137
01-21-2014, 01:46 AM
I wouldn't do that if I'm LA. Blake has made a lot of improvements in his game this season, and you could argue he's actually been better than Melo. Plus, he's five years younger and he's locked in until 2017. So, why should the Clippers make that deal?

Melo with Chris Paul makes them a legit contender. I have no doubt Melo with a star PG would be lethal. Blake is not better than Melo, especially come playoff time. You pair Cp3 and Melo Clippers would come out the West imo. Clippers get Melo in his prime still and Knicks get a player they can build around.

mightybosstone
01-21-2014, 01:53 AM
Melo with Chris Paul makes them a legit contender. I have no doubt Melo with a star PG would be lethal. Blake is not better than Melo, especially come playoff time. You pair Cp3 and Melo Clippers would come out the West imo. Clippers get Melo in his prime still and Knicks get a player they can build around.

But you only get Melo for two more years unless he re-signs, which is never a guarantee. And he's already 29, so even if he does re-sign, you're not getting prime Melo for too much longer. Blake is only 24 and is locked in until at least 2017. I just don't see it unless the Knicks throw in something else to sweeten the pot. There was a lot of discussion about a possible Melo for Blake deal a few weeks ago, and it seemed from most involved in the talks that the Clippers just didn't want to make the swap.

Blitzace137
01-21-2014, 02:02 AM
But you only get Melo for two more years unless he re-signs, which is never a guarantee. And he's already 29, so even if he does re-sign, you're not getting prime Melo for too much longer. Blake is only 24 and is locked in until at least 2017. I just don't see it unless the Knicks throw in something else to sweeten the pot. There was a lot of discussion about a possible Melo for Blake deal a few weeks ago, and it seemed from most involved in the talks that the Clippers just didn't want to make the swap.

Melo would re-sign, theres only a few team I could see him re-signing with and the Clippers are one along with Bulls and a few others. IT's no secret Melo and CP3 have wanted to team up. Melo is 29 he would be in his prime for another 4-5 years, same as chris Paul. I don't see the Clippers winning the ship with the team currently constructed. With Melo I could see them beat teams like the Spurs and Thunders. As far as marketing and regular season goes trading Blake makes no sense but if they want a real shot to win title, this swap makes sense for both teams but it probably won't happen like you said.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-21-2014, 02:12 AM
Cap relief and a few mid 1st round picks are about what you're going to get unless he agrees to an extension with whatever team.

Chronz
01-21-2014, 02:27 AM

Not happening, Melo would make us worse defensively and isn't much of an upgrade offensively (if at all). Blake has been disappearing/injured in the post season, that much you're right about, but I wager this is the year he breaks out and sees his game translate into the post season for once.

Melo being at the tail end of his prime is not a good thing considering Blakes youth/work ethic.

Chronz
01-21-2014, 02:29 AM
Id rather see what Blake has in store at his apex than know Melo isn't enough to win.

kobe4thewinbang
01-21-2014, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I would have liked to have seen that combination. Not sure how the cap space would have worked or anything, but it would have been interesting. Maybe they could get it done this season still.Well, Dirk is playing again. I think Dallas is actually better this year than last year by adding Monta.