PDA

View Full Version : NBA needs more superstar players

holditdown
01-19-2014, 12:15 AM
Seriously it really does. The NBA is so weak right now it's laughable. The only real superstars are LeBron, Durant and Tony Parker. and Parker is sorta getting old.

I remember when there was Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, Nash, Malone, etc.

I think the main problem is the big men sorta suck today.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-19-2014, 12:18 AM
You complain a lot.

holditdown
01-19-2014, 12:19 AM
You complain a lot.

Ok

RipCity32
01-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Tony Parker a superstar LMFAO

bleedprple&gold
01-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Seriously it really does. The NBA is so weak right now it's laughable. The only real superstars are LeBron, Durant and Tony Parker. and Parker is sorta getting old.

Lebron and Durant are no-brainers but why is Parker a superstar and Paul George is not? I don't understand your criteria for "superstar".

And btw Kobe, Duncan, Garnett and Dirk are still playing.

GunFactor187
01-19-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't think the NBA needs more superstars as much as it need more players with personality, not many players in the league has the charisma to match the likes of Shaq, GP, Barkley, Jordan, The Bad Boy Pistons, etc. As a whole the players of today's game exude too much business behavior, the interviews they do are so dry and robotic, lacks any sort of character in it. Only guy that comes even remotely close to having a personality in the league is Ron Artest IMO.

Chronz
01-19-2014, 12:41 AM
NBA is more talented than ever, but it does seem like we lack upper echelon talent, that and elite/prospect bigs have had trouble staying healthy. That and players have gotten afraid to speak their minds on camera.

WES KOAST
01-19-2014, 01:16 AM
when mj retired we had kobe. now its LeBron. tomorrow it'll be Durant, George, curry. there's superstars in the making every year

WES KOAST
01-19-2014, 01:19 AM
I don't think the NBA needs more superstars as much as it need more players with personality, not many players in the league has the charisma to match the likes of Shaq, GP, Barkley, Jordan, The Bad Boy Pistons, etc. As a whole the players of today's game exude too much business behavior, the interviews they do are so dry and robotic, lacks any sort of character in it. Only guy that comes even remotely close to having a personality in the league is Ron Artest IMO.

LeBron has tons of charisma.

most guys don't lack personality, they lack education. dude that needs to go back to grade school is earl clark

DreamShaker
01-19-2014, 01:32 AM
I agree with this. There are a few things that are contributing factors:

Aging/retiring stars- Iverson, T-Mac, Roy, Arenas, and Yao all had their careers cut short. Shaq retired. Kidd retired. Duncan, Kobe, Dirk, Nash, KG, Pierce, and Ray Allen are all aging, among others. Rose and Westbrook have been hurt a lot. Oden never got a chance to get started. Those guys are hard to replace.

Lack of big personalities- Great point by GunFactor. Gilbert Arenas is an example of a guy who made himself a bigger star by his personality to go along with flat out just being fun to watch. Injuries and a stupid stunt ruined his career right in his prime. Guys are apprehensive to open up and be entertainers as well as ballers.

Social media- It kind of takes the mystique away from guys. It also has everyone and their dog picking apart everything a player says to ridiculous levels. Players are much more calculated in how they present themselves.

Being drafted too early- People are more worried about "upside" than they are drafting guys who are NBA ready. This hurts the college game and the NBA game. Nobody is a part of storied college teams any longer. No one stays long enough to accomplish that. And these raw guys are coming in on bad teams full of other raw guys and they get no exposure.

Superstars teaming up in free agency- I remember when more teams had a face of the franchise and guys stayed with the teams they made a name of themselves with. It's not like that any more. Now less teams are interesting.

GiantsSwaGG
01-19-2014, 01:36 AM
3 words

MIKE MOTHER****ING JAMES

Drummond#1
01-19-2014, 01:38 AM
I think Blake is getting their in terms of personality, highlights and stats. Not talent though. An argument could be made for Paul George and Steph Curry as well. They definitely have the flash and thrills.

Melo, CP3 and Rondo are all borderline guys. DRose would be; but keeps getting hurt.

Nick O
01-19-2014, 01:53 AM
tony parker is a great player but to throw him in with durant and lebron is a little.... what O.o .. hes never even been the star or best player on his team . all time list Duncan> Parker. paul george is to me the hands down #3 player in the game right now. Chris Paul is a star player in my mind. kobe is hurt but hel be back. hes a MEGA mega star. Steph Curry on the rise. Kevin love is beast with amazing numbers. i dunno man. there are ALOT of big time players.. if youre asking for more Lebrons and Durants.. thats too much to ask for. were lucky to see them both playing at the same time.

bleedprple&gold
01-19-2014, 01:53 AM

I agree with this. Everybody is so worried about their public image now a days that they give the same boring canned responses game after game. But at least Kobe is still interesting.

jerellh528
01-19-2014, 01:55 AM
Has a lot to do with Kobe being out/slow decline I think. There's not a guy right now that is MUST watch basketball. So the effects are trickled down. Similar to wwe when the rock/ stone cold retired, john cena is great and all but popularity when down. You need that charismatic #1 guy.

Chrisclover
01-19-2014, 02:31 AM
LBJ or Durant is one of a kind. Too rare to duplicate either of them .maybe Wiggins or Parker next year ?

FOBolous
01-19-2014, 03:11 AM
or maybe all the superstars should leave their "superteams" and be leaders of their own teams.

TheMightyHumph
01-19-2014, 03:19 AM

What a load of crap.

nastynice
01-19-2014, 04:58 AM

man, 90's was the golden age for bigs. robinson, duncan, the dream, shaq, alonzo, ewing. Either one of those players would be the best big in the league right now.

...and how the hell is tony parker in that list with lebron and kd?? lol

HYFR
01-19-2014, 05:42 AM
Op is very disrespectful to the point god..

Shortys4711
01-19-2014, 05:48 AM
Lol how are u putting Parker's name up with those two and also leaving out so many others.

Let me ask you a question. Would you trade Any of the following for Parker? Melo, George, cp3, wade, Davis?

PhillyFaninLA
01-19-2014, 06:04 AM
Get rid of 5 teams and you get a much much better league

ldawg
01-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Its the NBA they are to uptight. I mean you get a fine for everything. not enough emotion drama in the game or after a game nothing to hype up a rematch. /its almost like they are in the army. So the guys go out play run out the building. just trying to get paid.

holditdown
01-19-2014, 11:07 AM
I put Tony Parker as a superstar because

1. He is the most accomplished PG in the league
2. He does have 3 rings and an MVP
3. Watch-ability is extremely high. Best finesse and most graceful slasher in the NBA.

People sleep on him, but he has way more going for him than you think.

Jarvo
01-19-2014, 11:09 AM
tony parker is a great player but to throw him in with durant and lebron is a little.... what O.o .. hes never even been the star or best player on his team . all time list Duncan> Parker. paul george is to me the hands down #3 player in the game right now. Chris Paul is a star player in my mind. kobe is hurt but hel be back. hes a MEGA mega star. Steph Curry on the rise. Kevin love is beast with amazing numbers. i dunno man. there are ALOT of big time players.. if youre asking for more Lebrons and Durants.. thats too much to ask for. were lucky to see them both playing at the same time.

Nah last year he was the best on The Spurs

Jarvo
01-19-2014, 11:11 AM

This, And George is damn near up there now as a Superstar if not right now.

holditdown
01-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Nah last year he was the best on The Spurs

Exactly people just love to ignore the man. Just because he's not arguably a top 5 player like Duncan he gets no respect.

Be real with yourself. That was hands down the best PG in the league last year.

Teeboy1487
01-19-2014, 11:43 AM
or maybe all the superstars should leave their "superteams" and be leaders of their own teams.

Yep. I hope this is the end of superteams after the Heat. It's boring when only a few teams can win it all.

mike_noodles
01-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Tony Parker a superstar LMFAO

I thought the same thing, lmao.

effen5
01-19-2014, 12:12 PM
They don't need more superstars, what they need is better rivalry. Nba is so buddy buddy that this league lacks rivalry and to be honest, most nights, it's not even entertaining to watch the Nba anymore. The superstars also in previous eras are a **** ton better than this era outside of a small handful such as bron, Duncan, dirk etc...

Jarvo
01-19-2014, 12:34 PM
To me Parker is a superstar I don't know why half of you are laughing for :shrug: without him The Spurs would have not reached The Finals and this is not me being a homer. Everyone has a different opinion of what a "Superstar" is and for me he's up there with Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Duncan, Rose (when 100%) CP3 & Blake (even though I dislike them) and others.

3RDASYSTEM
01-19-2014, 12:42 PM

this is what makes it so easy to educate those on psd, first off Bryant/nash shouldn't be mentioned since they are not 'big' men and were both backup guards who eventually cracked the starting lineups so I would be hard pressed to call backup players turned starter 'real superstars', check the history for proof

but the way media hyped up Bryant/nash in recent years makes you forget that they were backups to JONES/KIDD, 1 a HOF'er the other not

GARNETT-SHAQ-DUNCAN were big time day 1, franchise changing superstars and while KG rode the bench 1st half of rook season it was clear he was the big ticket off top

the main problem is you cant over hype(media) superstars anymore because game is game(impact) and its clear as day if Bryant had played in JAZZ-NUGGET-BUCKS type market he would be just a known good scorer, MELO-GERVIN like, nothing more nothing less, nash robbed SHAQ/Bryant according to many fans abroad out of league mvp and it was clear SHAQ was mvp candidate his rookie year, and finished like 2nd in his 2nd season in the voting, that's franchise superstar player type, and it goes back as far as WILT and ALCINDOR to JORDAN to BRON to IVERSON and so on, its hard to be that good preNBA but the best have it, superstar game-impact

M GASOL or IBAKA or BOGUT or HOWARD are not in the same ilk of those past dominant big men, DIRK survived and excelled because he was a 7ft version of BIRD(shooting wise/clutch), other than that NOAH/CHANDLER and others are nothing of a superstar big, but damn good in they own right indeed

that's the problem with nba today, it's no true superstars or franchise changers right now(on the rise) outside of that DAVIS kid from N.O., he is legit

and the things is you cant make someone into a franchise/superstar player, the game/impact speaks for itself but the media has the power to make certain players appear 'better' or superstar material when in actuality they are just good at doing 1 thing nice, but mediahype takes it to astronomical levels of false belief

Nick O
01-19-2014, 01:21 PM
ya im still so confused with parkers name in there. hes never even been the best player on his team

Nick O
01-19-2014, 01:23 PM
To me Parker is a superstar I don't know why half of you are laughing for :shrug: without him The Spurs would have not reached The Finals and this is not me being a homer. Everyone has a different opinion of what a "Superstar" is and for me he's up there with Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Duncan, Rose (when 100%) CP3 & Blake (even though I dislike them) and others.

he can be up there with Rose/ paul and blake. but no one else is up with Lebron/ Kobe/ KD . almost disrespectful to classify him with them/ had he put Duncans name in there instead of Parker i woulda probably left it.

ThuglifeJ
01-19-2014, 01:34 PM

+1000000000

Minus the ron arrest. Hes just crazy. And verge of retirement. Cp3 has a decent charisma but not like past..like Shaq, Jordan, Iverson, etc.

That's what happens when kids are born starring at a computer all day. I swear these kids all act like robots its ****in pathetic. I help at a high school sometimes and its all robots its ****ing annoying. Especially when you try to joke with them and they don't have any wit or know how to laugh.

FlashBolt
01-19-2014, 01:40 PM
There are more superstars now than ever.. I don't know what you guys are talking about. You know why there are superteams? Because the league is packed with superstar talent and when they all join in, it's tough to beat them unless you have your own. I don't know if you noticed but if Westbrook had his own team, he WOULD be a huge superstar. Some would argue but if Blake had Clippers to himself, he probably would be a bigger stud. Same goes for a lot of other players. And I love how someone threw Kobe in there.. Kobe wasn't a huge draw in his prime. He was a draw but stop pretending that people had to see him. At this point, Durant has already had better seasons than Kobe ever had. Durant's past three seasons are better than any of Kobe's. Durant will be a top 15 player when it is all said and done. He's already closing in on LeBron this year. Though, I suspect James to pick it up; Durant is an absolute monster. James was not playing this well at the same age.

ThuglifeJ
01-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Actually Curry is fun to watch..has good personality. But yes its rare in the league now. No one WANTS to be a leader.

Someone was right when they said there is no MUST WATCH feel anymore, or charismatic leader. You have to have a face. Lebron is the face but he's not all that charismatic or bold. Many don't like to root for him either.

There's no one who you can watch and know you're gonna see something you've ever seen before. LBJ , Durant are outstanding players..but let's be honest ..when you hear they dropped 40 you aren't like '$#!&! I missed it!!!' 'Poster dunk?' '5 3s in a row?' 'Buzzer beater?' And rush to a TV/comp to see highlights. You are more..bet he had like 20 free throws and a couple nice dunks.

Thats another thing its all about the stats

ThuglifeJ
01-19-2014, 01:53 PM
There are more superstars now than ever.. I don't know what you guys are talking about. You know why there are superteams? Because the league is packed with superstar talent and when they all join in, it's tough to beat them unless you have your own. I don't know if you noticed but if Westbrook had his own team, he WOULD be a huge superstar. Some would argue but if Blake had Clippers to himself, he probably would be a bigger stud. Same goes for a lot of other players. And I love how someone threw Kobe in there.. Kobe wasn't a huge draw in his prime. He was a draw but stop pretending that people had to see him. At this point, Durant has already had better seasons than Kobe ever had. Durant's past three seasons are better than any of Kobe's. Durant will be a top 15 player when it is all said and done. He's already closing in on LeBron this year. Though, I suspect James to pick it up; Durant is an absolute monster. James was not playing this well at the same age.

Hahahaha. Thanks for the good laugh sonny. Now let the grown ups talk.

ThuglifeJ
01-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Compared to other eras. There are only two prime superstars today. Every other era had 5-10+. Think of 2000..
-Shaq, Kobe, Tmac, Duncan, Kidd, Nash, Vince, Garnett, Iverson..

Omg the league sucks today.

holditdown
01-19-2014, 02:00 PM
The top echelon of players are lacking right now. People know this, but still say this is star packed era. I don't get it.

ManRam
01-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Injuries are playing a huge role in it.

A healthy Kobe, Wade, Rose, Paul, Rondo, Westbrook and a never-injured Howard, in addition to Durant, LeBron and that very strong second tier of stars (Curry, PG, Love, Melo, Dirk, Blake etc.) and the league is probably as full of talent as the era you mentioned. The problem is that LeBron and KD are so historically great (like, at a level where they'd be right at the top of any era) that the next tier looks to be at a drastically lower level, especially with all the injuries. But at full health, the league is fine.

Parker might not be one of the 15-20 best players in the league. So you gotta fix your train of though here if you're gonna blast the league for not having enough stars because you think he's #3.

I do think we're in a slight transition though. We have a lot of really promising young players almost ready to make that next jump.

cmellofan15
01-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Compared to other eras. There are only two prime superstars today. Every other era had 5-10+. Think of 2000..
-Shaq, Kobe, Tmac, Duncan, Kidd, Nash, Vince, Garnett, Iverson..

Omg the league sucks today.

Kidd and Vince were superstars? Really? I'd take Dirk and Paul Pierce over both.

I think nostalgia causes some people to overrate these players. Most players of the early 2000's wouldn't fit the criteria we have for superstars now. If we don't consider Carmelo, Bosh, Dwight Howard, Kevin Love or guys like that superstars right now how can we say Jason Kidd, Tony Parker, and Vince Carter (in all his lazyness) were superstars?

And I think now that we're in the "injury era" we're starting to forget how good some guys were. Deron Williams, Amare, Bogut, Rondo, Brandon Roy, and Derrick Rose all had their primes cut short or had a terrible drop off because of injuries. at their peak, they were just as good as the elite players of yesteryear we are just experiencing a time where injuries are taking a lot of careers hostage.

cmellofan15
01-19-2014, 02:37 PM
I refresh my page and now look like i copied manram hahah

Jarvo
01-19-2014, 02:38 PM
he can be up there with Rose/ paul and blake. but no one else is up with Lebron/ Kobe/ KD . almost disrespectful to classify him with them/ had he put Duncans name in there instead of Parker i woulda probably left it.

I agree with that he messed up alot putting Lebron, KD then Parker lol more names should be added.

KnicksorBust
01-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Injuries are playing a huge role in it.

A healthy Kobe, Wade, Rose, Paul, Rondo, Westbrook and a never-injured Howard, in addition to Durant, LeBron and that very strong second tier of stars (Curry, PG, Love, Melo, Dirk, Blake etc.) and the league is probably as full of talent as the era you mentioned. The problem is that LeBron and KD are so historically great (like, at a level where they'd be right at the top of any era) that the next tier looks to be at a drastically lower level, especially with all the injuries. But at full health, the league is fine.

Parker might not be one of the 15-20 best players in the league. So you gotta fix your train of though here if you're gonna blast the league for not having enough stars because you think he's #3.

I do think we're in a slight transition though. We have a lot of really promising young players almost ready to make that next jump.

Basically what I was going to say. :clap:

FlashBolt
01-19-2014, 03:40 PM

1) Vince was a superstar? Lol. You nostalgic little boy. This is not the same as back then. You need a team of stars to win championships. It's not back then when one team had that one player. When you have your own team, you will put up superstar numbers. I have no doubt in my mind that Westbrook would be putting up 26+ points and averaging 6 rebounds and 8 assists per game if he had his own green light that many of those players you named had. It's funny you said there's only two... James, Durant, Melo, Wade, Chris Paul, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Paul George, Rose, Rondo, Kobe, Love, Aldridge.. Any of the players on this list were better than Vince ever was so why the hell did you mention Vince? Give me a break. Any of these players would be posting up HUGE numbers if they had a team like Iverson or Vince's Raptors.

effen5
01-19-2014, 04:17 PM
NBA just sucks right now unfortunately.

BrandoCommando
01-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Stephen Curry isn't a superstar?

IndiansFan337
01-19-2014, 05:09 PM
The problem is moreso the injuries piling up on top guys.

We have now seen Kobe and Rose miss extended periods, and to a lesser superstar extent, Rondo.

You have to call guys like Stephen Curry, Paul George and James Harden superstars now, they just don't garner the same amount of media attention that LBJ and Durant do.

BallIsAll
01-19-2014, 05:18 PM
What we are missing is **** talking. Too bad the league is making it impossible for guys to express themselves. Plus these soft fouls are pretty annoying it definitely made flopping possible.

BallIsAll
01-19-2014, 05:18 PM

Not yet he's not.

KnicksorBust
01-19-2014, 05:24 PM

Not yet he's not.

Curry > Iverson

mightybosstone
01-19-2014, 05:26 PM
OP must not pay much attention to the NBA. How many games could have have honestly watched this season and how much attention can he honestly pay if he thinks Parker is the third best player in the league and one of only three "superstars" in the NBA? I'm guessing very little.

holditdown
01-19-2014, 05:32 PM
OP must not pay much attention to the NBA. How many games could have have honestly watched this season and how much attention can he honestly pay if he thinks Parker is the third best player in the league and one of only three "superstars" in the NBA? I'm guessing very little.

Go read my earlier post about Parker.

His body of work is VASTLY beyond any other point guard in the NBA.

You can't refute that.

dAngelo
01-19-2014, 05:48 PM
1) Vince was a superstar? Lol. You nostalgic little boy. This is not the same as back then. You need a team of stars to win championships. It's not back then when one team had that one player. When you have your own team, you will put up superstar numbers. I have no doubt in my mind that Westbrook would be putting up 26+ points and averaging 6 rebounds and 8 assists per game if he had his own green light that many of those players you named had. It's funny you said there's only two... James, Durant, Melo, Wade, Chris Paul, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Paul George, Rose, Rondo, Kobe, Love, Aldridge.. Any of the players on this list were better than Vince ever was so why the hell did you mention Vince? Give me a break. Any of these players would be posting up HUGE numbers if they had a team like Iverson or Vince's Raptors.

Vince was a superstar. Putting up very good numbers and being the most popular player for several years (leading vote getter, all star) are some of the qualities of a superstar.

mightybosstone
01-19-2014, 05:49 PM

You can't refute that.

Yes, you can. Championships are a team effort, not an individual one, and Parker was hardly the No. 1 player on any of his championship teams. Paul is absolutely a superior basketball player to Parker and I'd put Curry ahead of him, as well as a healthy Russell Westbrook.

kobebabe
01-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Tony Parker a Superstar????

Really?

KnicksorBust
01-19-2014, 06:32 PM

You can't refute that.

Yes, you can. Championships are a team effort, not an individual one, and Parker was hardly the No. 1 player on any of his championship teams. Paul is absolutely a superior basketball player to Parker and I'd put Curry ahead of him, as well as a healthy Russell Westbrook.

Westbrook over Parker? .... dunno about that.

ThuglifeJ
01-19-2014, 06:47 PM

You can't be this dumb. Sad that you actually believe it too.

BallIsAll
01-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Curry > Iverson

Iverson took a team of nobodies to the finals last time I checked.. You guys are quick to label players superstars.

HoopsMachine
01-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Iverson took a team of nobodies to the finals last time I checked.. You guys are quick to label players superstars.

Larry Brown is a nobody? Dikembe Mutumbo is a nobody? Listen I agree with you about the premature Curry > Iverson post, but don't do the same thing as the poster and write off other players.

ThuglifeJ
01-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Curry > Iverson

They're desperate. Were all desperate for upper echelon players today. We havnt had any in a while. They dont make that next step. Dwight being a prime example.

Shlumpledink
01-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Tony Parker? wtf

WaDe03
01-19-2014, 11:18 PM
So many injuries right now or people trying to get fully healthy.

Wade
Kobe
Rondo
Westbrook
Rose
Gasol
CP3
Deron

Some of the better players in the league injured that could be returning this season, and some that are working their way back to being 100%. Kobe, Wade, CP3, Rose, Westbrook all superstars (if were being picky on what's considered a superstar then for sure give me Wade, Kobe, and CP3), Rondo and Gasol are kind of borderline, Deron I don't think will ever be considered a top 5 PG again which is sad because I remember when they debated CP3 and Deron as the best PG's in the league. Give it two months and these guys should be healthy for the most part except Rose then well see the talent level in the upper part of the league get a lot better. (I'm sure I left some off that was just off the top of my head.)

WaDe03
01-19-2014, 11:19 PM
We need some Richard Shermans in the NBA. :laugh:

SPURSFAN1
01-20-2014, 03:00 AM
I'm pretty sure Tony Parker will be all over yalls mouth when it's all said and done this year.

PurpleLynch
01-20-2014, 09:19 AM

Well,it's absolutely not a weak Nba,just a more balanced Nba.We have finally a lot of good teams in the playoff berth(well,in the eastern just 4/5 teams out of 8 are good,but at least in the western you have 8 solid playoffs team.)

Big men don't sucks,it's just a phase of transition(a lot of PF are evolving with the league,shooting more;also the center position is expanding his range).Sure,we don't have dominant big men like the '90,but present big men are far from sucking.Plus Duncan and Dirk are playing well in these years,even if old.

A superstar is made also by his charm and Nba doesn't have a lot of strong personalities,I agree. But for the quality of players I don't complain,I really like the Nba this year. And I'm a Lakers fan.

PurpleLynch
01-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Also there's a good crop of young big men like Cousins,Davis,Drummond,Monroe,Ibaka,Valanciunas,Vu cevic,Griffin,Jordan etc...so imo plenty of potential good big men. I look forward also for Embiid and Randle!

RLundi
01-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Since when is Tony Parker a superstar?

The problem is there is so much talent in the league but not too many outstanding or charismatic players. It's very spread out. Superstars in this league are LBJ, Durant, Chris Paul and Melo. That's it.

If they come back strong from injury, definitely add Kobe and D Rose to that list. But as a whole, OP is right; there aren't too many superstar players...

FlashBolt
01-20-2014, 02:56 PM
You can't be this dumb. Sad that you actually believe it too.

So Vince Carter is a superstar but Carmelo isn't? Lmao, go to sleep, child.

BallIsAll
01-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Larry Brown is a nobody? Dikembe Mutumbo is a nobody? Listen I agree with you about the premature Curry > Iverson post, but don't do the same thing as the poster and write off other players.

Ok I'm sorry I did not mean nobodies. But Iverson took his team further than curry has (not saying curry will never be a superstar). Only superstars are Lebron, a healthy Kobe & Durant. These young players still need to prove themselves.

smith&wesson
01-20-2014, 08:28 PM
the guys are super stars: lebron,durant, paul,harden,george, duncan (kobe & rose)

these guys are on the verge of becoming superstars, if not already: curry, love, griffen

these guys are borderline superstars or one notch below: melo, wade, disco dirk,

these guys have super star potential: lillard, irving, wall, davis, mcw,

this guy is playing like a super start this year.. aldridge,

NBA_Starter
01-20-2014, 08:32 PM
What can they do to get more Superstars?

BallIsAll
01-20-2014, 10:16 PM
the guys are super stars: lebron,durant, paul,harden,george, duncan (kobe & rose)

these guys are on the verge of becoming superstars, if not already: curry, love, griffen

these guys are borderline superstars or one notch below: melo, wade, disco dirk,

these guys have super star potential: lillard, irving, wall, davis, mcw,

this guy is playing like a super start this year.. aldridge,

The guys in red are not superstars. Not saying they won't or haven't been but they sure as hell are not now. When defenses can figure you out and stop you, you're not a superstar. Rose is drastically slowed by injury, Duncan is old and George and Harden just became all star players and Harden is pretty easy to figure out, he showed it in the playoffs. It does not happen over night. I believe George and Harden will be all stars but please lets not label anyone who can score 20+ ppg a superstar.

BallIsAll
01-20-2014, 10:17 PM
What can they do to get more Superstars?

They really can't do anything its up to the players to reach their potential and bring it consistently night in and night out like Kobe, Lebron and KD do..

holditdown
01-20-2014, 11:17 PM
Another thing I just thought about is this. The NBA has really evolved into a team game. Nobody really chucks anymore.

It started with Jordan, but since so many of his went in it didn't really matter. Then you had Iverson, T-Mac, Carter, Kobe, Stackhouse, etc. all just jack like hell. Thing is all these guys had trouble making their shots and it really doesn't help you win titles unless well Shaq is there. LOL.

So with the emphasis on team basketball these days guys aren't jacking up shots and dropping 50 anymore.

Melo is the last of those types of players who just take the ball on the wing and say get out my way.

holditdown
01-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Jerry Stackhouse once put up 24 shots and 10 free throws a game. That would just never happen today with a player of his skill level.

NoahH
01-21-2014, 06:10 PM
I wouldnt put Parker in the same category as LeBron and Durant. Is Parker a superstar in skill terms and a superstar to his team? Probably. Is he at superstar level of Kobe or LeBron where he's a household name and everyone knows his face? No.

holditdown
01-21-2014, 06:41 PM
I wouldnt put Parker in the same category as LeBron and Durant. Is Parker a superstar in skill terms and a superstar to his team? Probably. Is he at superstar level of Kobe or LeBron where he's a household name and everyone knows his face? No.

Tim Duncan wasn't the household name either even though he raped the league all by himself in 2003. T-Mac, Carter and Iverson were still the household names.

SPURSFAN1
01-21-2014, 09:39 PM
When Magic loves your game and says he's the best point guard in the league, people need to respect. Parker is a superstar. People keep sleeping on the best point guard in the league like usual.

Pierre The Poet
01-21-2014, 11:35 PM
When there's no Kobe we'll see many more threads like this...he elevated the game and made it watchable from his game to the personality.

Jarvo
01-22-2014, 03:27 AM
Curry > Iverson

I love Curry, But hell nah he isn't better then Iverson.

Pierre The Poet
01-22-2014, 03:33 AM
I love Curry, But hell nah he isn't better then Iverson.

Curry could potentially be better than Iverson but it's about longevity too. Curry had 1 breakout season. Iverson did it for a decade.

Jarvo
01-22-2014, 03:33 AM
If people can say Blake is a Superstar then Duncan & Parker are also lol bet when the season is wraping up and going into the playoffs Spurs are gonna get hot again like last year and you guys will be all over Parker nuts :laugh:

Pierre The Poet
01-22-2014, 03:36 AM
Ok I'm sorry I did not mean nobodies. But Iverson took his team further than curry has (not saying curry will never be a superstar). Only superstars are Lebron, a healthy Kobe & Durant. These young players still need to prove themselves.

Honestly, I'm tired of always hearing the "He took a team of nobodies to the finals" because that always happens in the pathetic East where there was no competition and then they got creamed in the finals. Iverson and some nobodies in the finals, basically swept by Lakers. Lebron took a bunch of nobodies to the finals with the Cavs, swept by the Spurs. Dwight took a bunch of nobodies from Orlando to the finals, handled by the Lakers easily. If any of those teams were in the West at the time they would've been a first round exit.

Pierre The Poet
01-22-2014, 03:36 AM
Tony Parker is a superstar

Jarvo
01-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Curry could potentially be better than Iverson but it's about longevity too. Curry had 1 breakout season. Iverson did it for a decade.

I won't be suprised if he does, Iverson is my fav player ever but he was too selfish and Curry is not.

TheMightyHumph
01-22-2014, 09:25 PM

No, it doesn't need more superstars. NBA basketball is a team game.

NBA owners should (but don't count on it) be able to construct teams (and that includes the management they hire) that can function as a team that know each others strengths and weaknesses, so as to be as competitive a team as they can be.

That would make for incredibly good NBA basketball.

But I think that is asking too much of NBA owners, as most of them are NBA morons.