PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Durant should be shooting more

holditdown
01-17-2014, 11:55 PM
I can't believe the Thunder only manage to give this guy 19 shots a night. That's just ridiculous to me.

A lot of people said he didn't have the strength to get open off ball. Maybe early in his career, but not anymore.

Guy is unstoppable. Needs to be shooting at least 22-23 times a night.

Fnom11
01-18-2014, 12:01 AM
That awkward moment when you forget he's had mostly average shooting percentages the last 4-6 games since westbrooke went down. He's having a good game so far tonight, doesn't mean it's a continuous thing.

holditdown
01-18-2014, 12:02 AM
That awkward moment when you forget he's had mostly average shooting percentages the last 4-6 games since westbrooke went down. He's having a good game so far tonight, doesn't mean it's a continuous thing.

If a guy cannot be stopped then it's good for the team for that guy to keep shooting.

Fnom11
01-18-2014, 12:07 AM
You realize this is his best shooting performance since WB went down right? He's having a good night. Over the last 6 or so games he has not been so lucky.

holditdown
01-18-2014, 12:10 AM
You realize this is his best shooting performance since WB went down right? He's having a good night. Over the last 6 or so games he has not been so lucky.

6 game sample size is not that large.

When you watch Durant play he's a guy that creates his own shot very well. I doubt you'd see diminishing returns if started taking more shots.

tredigs
01-18-2014, 12:12 AM
He's averaging 35/8/6 on 48%FG 88%FT on 22.5 attempts a game in the 11 games since Westbrook went down.

Not counting the 50/7/7 or so he's going to put up tonight.

Any more attempts than that and it removes the rest of the offense from the flow of the game. He's in a tough situation when they can't put it in.

holditdown
01-18-2014, 12:14 AM
He's averaging 35/8/6 on 48%FG 88%FT on 22.5 attempts a game in the 11 games since Westbrook went down.

Good stuff. I'm not a huge numbers guy, but I look at it. It just seems to me that for the Thunder to win an NBA title it would be best if they ask Durant to start taking more shots. With or without Westbrook they need to use his offense more.

tredigs
01-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Westbrook should defer to him more when he's running the offense, I definitely agree with that. No excuse for KD to have the 2nd most attempts on his team.

holditdown
01-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Westbrook should defer to him more when he's running the offense, I definitely agree with that. No excuse for KD to have the 2nd most attempts on his team.

Definitely agree. It drives me crazy when people say the Thunder need Westbrook. They do miss him like hell because he's a lockdown defender. His offense is really not needed.

holditdown
01-18-2014, 12:32 AM
I've always wondered what Durant would look like if he played with a facilitator.

Fnom11
01-18-2014, 01:03 AM
6 game sample size is not that large.

When you watch Durant play he's a guy that creates his own shot very well. I doubt you'd see diminishing returns if started taking more shots.
Except you have seen significant declines since WB went down in both Win/Losses and his shooting percentages.

LJEATON26
01-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Definitely agree. It drives me crazy when people say the Thunder need Westbrook. They do miss him like hell because he's a lockdown defender. His offense is really not needed.

Saying a team doesn't need a consistent 20 ppg scorer is idiotic. No matter what people say, Westbrook is a hell of a pg and does make players around him better. Before the last two nights games, ibakas numbers dropped without him in the line up.

LJEATON26
01-18-2014, 01:13 AM
Durant is trying to go for a new career high tonight. 52 scored with 3:00 left

holditdown
01-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Saying a team doesn't need a consistent 20 ppg scorer is idiotic. No matter what people say, Westbrook is a hell of a pg and does make players around him better. Before the last two nights games, ibakas numbers dropped without him in the line up.

They need his defense.

HYFR
01-18-2014, 01:40 AM
They ain't going anywhere without russy. Say what u want about him, he takes a lot of pressure off kd

holditdown
01-18-2014, 01:45 AM
They ain't going anywhere without russy. Say what u want about him, he takes a lot of pressure off kd

I've never said that. Damn you are like the 3rd guy to get his feelings hurt about this. I said they need Westbrook.

How many times do I have to say it?

EL_MACHETE
01-18-2014, 01:47 AM

Amen!

I honestly feel the way Durant is playing right now has made him play on a higher level then before. It allow him to become a better leader and a better distributer. Once Westbrook gets back Okc will be the team to beat. No more Mr nice Kevin, its time to man up and show those doubters no mercy
Go OKC!

EL_MACHETE
01-18-2014, 01:48 AM
I've never said that. Damn you are like the 3rd guy to get his feelings hurt about this. I said they need Westbrook.

100 times :)

HYFR
01-18-2014, 01:48 AM

Your contradicting the hell outta yourself now. You said it drives you crazy when people say they need Westbrook.... Well they do need him, on both sides of the ball.

holditdown
01-18-2014, 01:50 AM
Your contradicting the hell outta yourself now. You said it drives you crazy when people say they need Westbrook.... Well they do need him, on both sides of the ball.

It drives me crazy when they say OKC needs his offense. They don't. They need him to play defense because he's an insane defender.

tredigs
01-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Except you have seen significant declines since WB went down in both Win/Losses and his shooting percentages.

Actually both his FG% (50) and PPG (36) have gone up since Westbrook went down. Check your stats.

What's gone down is their winning, correct. And they DO need Westbrook's offense, he's not even that good of a defender. I'm not sure where that comes from. Westbrook's penetration helps to open it up for all the other players, and takes immense pressure off of KD in the fact that teams can no longer blindly double team him when he touches the ball. That said, he should defer more to KD when he's on the court and getting into a groove. That's one of the few knocks on him.

holditdown
01-18-2014, 02:00 AM
Actually both his FG% (50) and PPG (36) have gone up since Westbrook went down. Check your stats.

What's gone down is their winning, correct. And they DO need Westbrook's offense, he's not even that good of a defender. I'm not sure where that comes from. Westbrook's penetration helps to open it up for all the other players, and takes immense pressure off of KD in the fact that teams can no longer blindly double team him when he touches the ball. That said, he should defer more to KD when he's on the court and getting into a groove. That's one of the few knocks on him.

I always thought he had great defense. I'll have to double check that then.

In either case. We both agree that Durant should be shooting more.

tredigs
01-18-2014, 02:08 AM
I think Wessy's D is above average, but he can get lost out there quite a bit on picks. As an ISO defender he's good, but overall he might be a little overrated on that end.

Offensively his slashing ability (coupled with a jumper that now has to be respected) is so insane that it definitely helps an offense. He has the ability to collapse one post player if not a wing player as well, and that's when he kicks it out to Jackson/Lamb/KD, etc. Then it's an open 3 or quick swing pass to the open 3. KD can do it too, but being that HE'S the best player to kick it out to, it's not nearly as effective.

I miss seeing Westbrook for that team, but tonight was something to behold and we wouldn't have seen it if he was there. That was special.

Swashcuff
01-18-2014, 09:10 AM
OP you're looking at the FGA per game rather than looking at how many times he got to the line when making unregistered shots at the hoop. KD is shooting enough. What he needs is for someone else to create shots for him and the rest of the team.

Swashcuff
01-18-2014, 09:14 AM
It drives me crazy when they say OKC needs his offense. They don't. They need him to play defense because he's an insane defender.

Tell me something. If Durant averages 7 more points when Westy is out where are the other 15 going to come from? Is Reggie Jackson capable of upping his play that much? Serge? They are the only two logical options and are both too inconsistent on offense to be relied on as number 2 options.

If the Thunder want to have any hopes of winning a title they need the offense being distributed a whole lot more.

holditdown
01-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Tell me something. If Durant averages 7 more points when Westy is out where are the other 15 going to come from? Is Reggie Jackson capable of upping his play that much? Serge? They are the only two logical options and are both too inconsistent on offense to be relied on as number 2 options.

If the Thunder want to have any hopes of winning a title they need the offense being distributed a whole lot more.

From the 20 shots more per night that Westbrook is taking.

2-ONE-5
01-18-2014, 10:36 AM
you are not factoring in how many times he goes to the line a game

Drummond#1
01-18-2014, 11:36 AM
I watched KDs most recent 54 point game. LBJ has had plenty of phenomenal games. But I have not seen a player dominate a contender like the way KD shut down GSW since Jordan in the 90s.

KD will surpass the flop this season.

Drummond#1
01-18-2014, 11:38 AM
you are not factoring in how many times he goes to the line a game
Yeah. He attacks the rim. KD doesn't flop like other superstars. His trips to the line are earned.
When MJ was 23 and 24 he earned 11.9 and 10.5 trips to the line respectively.

UPRock
01-18-2014, 11:41 AM
I watched KDs most recent 54 point game. LBJ has had plenty of phenomenal games. But I have not seen a player dominate a contender like the way KD shut down GSW since Jordan in the 90s.

KD will surpass the flop this season.

LMAO go home Drummond, you're drunk

Drummond#1
01-18-2014, 11:45 AM
LMAO go home Drummond, you're drunk

Sig bet. KD wins MVP this year.

3RDASYSTEM
01-18-2014, 11:57 AM
I can't believe the Thunder only manage to give this guy 19 shots a night. That's just ridiculous to me.

A lot of people said he didn't have the strength to get open off ball. Maybe early in his career, but not anymore.

Guy is unstoppable. Needs to be shooting at least 22-23 times a night.

First off the THUNDER aren't giving him anything, its all green light for KD anytime anywhere any game, thing is if he starts taking 23 shots per game without RUSS it could lead to him turning into the 6'11'' version of IVERSON, unstoppable but having to shoot 25-30x basically nightly will plummet your PER/WS and have psd freaking out about how a 50-40-90 guy has turned into a 40-45/35/85 type of guy

which to me pans out to be the same player just different workload to carry
the same people who say he doesn't have the strength to get open off the ball have never competed a day if they life at any sport, and if they have they are mad because they are not as good as him on individual level

being unstoppable and shooting 23x a night only reminds me of IVERSON, wont win nothing and it means your teammates are not stepping up, now I admit he can get away with it now since his other allnba caliber mate is on the injury pine but for the long haul he'll just end up like his playoff debacle against GRIZZ last season

even IVERSON didn't get shut down like that for 4 straight playoff games in PHI when he was jacking up 23 shots per game, and he was 5'10'', a whole foot shorter than KD so his degree of difficulty was way harder

holditdown
01-18-2014, 12:26 PM
First off the THUNDER aren't giving him anything, its all green light for KD anytime anywhere any game, thing is if he starts taking 23 shots per game without RUSS it could lead to him turning into the 6'11'' version of IVERSON, unstoppable but having to shoot 25-30x basically nightly will plummet your PER/WS and have psd freaking out about how a 50-40-90 guy has turned into a 40-45/35/85 type of guy

the same people who say he doesn't have the strength to get open off the ball have never competed a day if they life at any sport, and if they have they are mad because they are not as good as him on individual level

being unstoppable and shooting 23x a night only reminds me of IVERSON, wont win nothing and it means your teammates are not stepping up, now I admit he can get away with it now since his other allnba caliber mate is on the injury pine but for the long haul he'll just end up like his playoff debacle against GRIZZ last season

even IVERSON didn't get shut down like that for 4 straight playoff games in PHI when he was jacking up 23 shots per game, and he was 5'10'', a whole foot shorter than KD so his degree of difficulty was way harder

I disagree. Iverson wasn't unstoppable. That's why he shot 42% from the field in Philly. Also, Iverson wasn't shooting 23 times per game. He was shooting as many as 27 times a game in some seasons.

Iverson is nothing like Durant. He's not an efficient player and shoots way damn more.

Nobody got on Jordan's case for shooting so damn much. It's because the shots were going in. Durant isn't Jordan, but he's not Iverson either.

Durant's game has improved to the point where he can hover around 50% from the field.

tredigs
01-18-2014, 12:29 PM
3RDA, do you ever put down the bottle? Your incoherent ramblings with 0 insight know no bounds.

Chronz
01-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Thats actually not what happens with PER or with Durant. Hes nothing like AI, FAR more efficient. Stop speaking about things you dont really understand PLZ.

Different players can carry different loads in different manners. Thats what we learn, if you could be less vague and more analytical, you would have a job in the NBA. So spare me the whole "same player" nonsense.

Hes been shut down worse. Remember, Tayshaun was on him too.

Bruno
01-18-2014, 02:21 PM

one good night?!? check yourself.

over the past six games he's averaging 40 points on a TS% of .632 with 48% FG shooting. thats brilliant basketball.

Bruno
01-18-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm starting to get sick of this "shooting a lot automatically equates to inefficient selfish basketball" narrative. sometimes its deserved sometimes it makes the commentator/fan look political, it really depends on who were taking about. and right now were taking about Kevin Durant.

Durant has been brilliant and most teams could only dream of having a player who could average 40 points and still have a TS% above .600 over stretches during the season. way too many people are talking about Durant like he's 2012 older less efficient Kobe, or washed up Iverson, or whatever garbage example. its so ridiculous.

Durant should be doing whatever it takes to win games. We are watching a future top twelve player just crack into his prime. enjoy yourselves.

Bruno
01-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Any more attempts than that and it removes the rest of the offense from the flow of the game. He's in a tough situation when they can't put it in.

I think 22.5 is healthy considering the circumstances. and we do have examples of Durant shooting more than 23 times a game while still having another teammate crack 20, or multiple other teammates in double figures. the ball seems to be moving as well, even during KDs three biggest explosions of the season. OKC is averaging 21.45 assists per game as a team for the season. In Durants three highest scoring games of the season OKC has put up 21 assists per game. Not a horrific drop off considering the fact that they've lost an all-star PG.

OKC just has to trust Durants judgement and know that he looks to be efficient as much as anyone.

holditdown
01-21-2014, 11:27 PM
If this recent hot stretch isn't proof then I don't know what is.

NBA_Starter
01-21-2014, 11:34 PM
He needs to keep it up.:clap: