PDA

View Full Version : Is the 2013 draft class one of the worst ever?

bleedprple&gold
01-15-2014, 11:13 PM
I've been thinking about how awful this draft class has been. You could legitimately make an argument there's only been three players that are making a significant impact on their team: Victor Oladipo, Trey Burke, and Michael Carter-Williams.

You could also say to a lesser extent these players are at least playing minutes and contributing: Ben McLemore, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, The Greek Freak, and Tim Hardaway Jr.

The rest of been pretty bad.

Anthony Bennet, Otto Porter Jr. and Alex Len have been jokes at top 5 picks. Cody Zeller has been nothing to write home about either.

Nerlens Noel has been injured so he gets a pass for now. Same with CJ McCollum.

Steven Adams and Kelly Olynyk have been blah.

Shabazz Muhammad has been absolute garbage.

The rest of the guys aren't even worth mentioning. Maybe some of these guys will be late bloomers, but so far this draft class sucks.

RipCity32
01-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Pretty crappy draft but I really like KCP. He's been a great defender and his shot is starting to fall now. Hes also very athletic.

*Silver&Black*
01-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Only time will tell.

Still hoping Dennis Schroder develops into a starting PG. Hasn't had the chance yet with the goals of the team and Teague's play.

black1605
01-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Zeller has been disappointing, but some of his issues have to do with strength. Hopefully once he adds some weight and muscle, he'll improve.

MagicBucsSox
01-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Thank you Cleveland

king4day
01-15-2014, 11:43 PM
I've been thinking about how awful this draft class has been. You could legitimately make an argument there's only been three players that are making a significant impact on their team: Victor Oladipo, Trey Burke, and Michael Carter-Williams.

You could also say to a lesser extent these players are at least playing minutes and contributing: Ben McLemore, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, The Greek Freak, and Tim Hardaway Jr.

Anthony Bennet, Otto Porter Jr. and Alex Len have been jokes at top 5 picks. Cody Zeller has been nothing to write home about either.

The rest of the guys aren't even worth mentioning. Maybe some of these guys will be late bloomers, but so far this draft class sucks.

Why does Noel get a pass when Len has been hurt almost the entire year? Only the last few games has he been healthy and getting some minutes. And he's showing some nice potential in the few minutes he's getting.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-15-2014, 11:47 PM
Bennet Len and shabazz were so over hyped

Like magicbucssox said Thanks cavs!!!!

DIPO!!!!

NBA_Starter
01-15-2014, 11:49 PM
It is pretty bad.

lajoie
01-16-2014, 12:00 AM
2000 nba draft was way worse

bleedprple&gold
01-16-2014, 12:04 AM

Why does Noel get a pass when Len has been hurt almost the entire year? Only the last few games has he been healthy and getting some minutes. And he's showing some nice potential in the few minutes he's getting.

Havent really payed much attention to Len tbh. Forgot he was a top 5 pick before making this thread lol. Just saw he only played in a few games and averaged less than 2 ppg and havent seen or heard much else about him.

Swashcuff
01-16-2014, 12:11 AM
I see Oladipo, Giannis, MCW and Burke as players who have all star potential. Also think Steven Adams is a player who can develop into a really solid double double guy once given adequate PT Tim Hardaway is a future starting two on a good team (on the level of a Wesley Matthews) and Mason Plumlee can develop into a solid starting big as well IMO. The rookie crop isn't THAT bad. Most draft classes don't really start looking like anything special until 3 years or so later that's when you can start to judge. Just a few years ago Landry Fields and Gary Neal finished 4th and 5th in ROY voting now look at that 2010 class, PG, Stephenson, Bledsoe, Sanders, Favors, Bradley, Crawford etc all players who didn't receive a single ROY vote. Time will tell but IMO this draft would materialize pretty nicely when its all said and done.

bleedprple&gold
01-16-2014, 12:16 AM
I see Oladipo, Giannis, MCW and Burke as players who have all star potential. Also think Steven Adams is a player who can develop into a really solid double double guy once given adequate PT Tim Hardaway is a future starting two on a good team (on the level of a Wesley Matthews) and Mason Plumlee can develop into a solid starting big as well IMO. The rookie crop isn't THAT bad. Most draft classes don't really start looking like anything special until 3 years or so later that's when you can start to judge. Just a few years ago Landry Fields and Gary Neal finished 4th and 5th in ROY voting now look at that 2010 class, PG, Stephenson, Bledsoe, Sanders, Favors, Bradley, Crawford etc all players who didn't receive a single ROY vote. Time will tell but IMO this draft would materialize pretty nicely when its all said and done.

Yea you may be right. It probably just seems worse than it is because the top 5 picks have been so disappointing. Maybe its not so much weak as it more the GMs just messed up and didnt know who to pick where.

Swashcuff
01-16-2014, 12:21 AM
Yea you may be right. It probably just seems worse than it is because the top 5 picks have been so disappointing. Maybe its not so much weak as it more the GMs just messed up and didnt know who to pick where.

Yeah agreed and I'd probably stretch it to the top 10 not just top 5. What's noticeable about this draft however doesn't really seem to have any big men who have anything resembling a decent upside. Basically all the big men we've actually seen on the floor ceiling looks like nothing more than an above average role player. As a 76ers fan I'm hopeful Noel can change that.

Stunner
01-16-2014, 12:28 AM
Tony Snell has turned into a good pick for the Bulls

mightybosstone
01-16-2014, 12:44 AM
So far, it looks grim. But I also think it's way too early to rule this class out. So many of these guys are freakishly young, and the guy with arguably the highest ceiling hasn't stepped on a court yet (Noel). I say give it another 2-3 years. There's bound to be a couple of All-Star caliber players in this group, and several other role players. It just may take some time for those guys to develop.

RipCity32
01-16-2014, 01:05 AM

Very good point

Duncan = Donkey
01-16-2014, 01:11 AM
Alex Len has been a joke? he has been injured all year lol. He has only started playing limited minutes the last 5 games. Ridiculous.

todu82
01-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Yeah it was supposed to be a bad class. Might have a good pick or 2 come out of it but it's going to be a bad class overall.

DreamShaker
01-16-2014, 04:17 AM
2000 nba draft was way worse

Yeah. Only All-Stars were K-Mart, Maglore, and Redd. And Redd was the only one to make an All-NBA team. And he was like the 43rd pick or something. It will be hard to live up to that. MCW, GA, Oladipo, Hardaway, and Burke all look good. Somebody might breakout and shock us. But I will agree this class has been a bummer. There were already low expectations, but I don't think anyone expected so many top picks to be this inept so far. I mean, a fair amount of these guys have looked flat out awful. Not even shown flashes.

KingstonHawke
01-16-2014, 07:01 AM
I like McCollum a lot, I think he'll be a great 6th man able to give you minutes at both the 1 and 2. And Noel will play defense. The thing that makes it look bad is that a lot of teams drafted for the future. And then there are the Cavs who just suck at drafting and selected someone top #1 that I didn't even like for the top 10.

FlashBolt
01-16-2014, 11:35 AM
You know a draft sucks when people are already talking about the draft that comes after yours before your draft even started.. It's crazy how 2013 draft sucked so bad but 2014 may be a top 5 draft.

bholly
01-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Damn good draft for the Sixers, and really that's all that matters.

Also Steven Adams has been good - if anything he's exceeding expectations for this point in his career.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-16-2014, 12:13 PM
Maybe. It was already weak to begin with.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
01-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Giannis at #15 was the steal of that draft.

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_final_draft/2013

2-ONE-5
01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
MCW at 11 and Noel at 6 are bigger steals

Rockice_8
01-16-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm happy with the Nets pick. Plumlee looks like he can be a solid big in the NBA much like his brother. There is only one guy taken after him that is playing as well and that's Hardaway Jr. His minutes are now sporadic when KG is resting.

Billy King has an eye for late round talent too bad he can't do anything else right.

Overall it looks pretty bad but there's still time. Yeah as someone else said, 2000 was pretty bad.

GunFactor187
01-16-2014, 05:32 PM
It definitely wasn't a draft for star players, but FWIW it was a nice draft for contributing role players, absolutely can't discount that. I definitely like what KCP brings to the table, quick defender, tremendous lateral quickness, etc. As far as star potential, Oladipo has it IMO.

Ryan328
01-16-2014, 06:07 PM
I think of the rookie sophomore game and think, "Wonder how many rookies will be in this?" Only ones I'd send would be MCW, Oladipo and Trey Burke

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2014, 06:35 PM
A draft class is hard to gauge the first year. There are drafts that look pretty mediocre their first year.

the year Chi-town draft Pippen and Grant, if you looked at their first year numbers, you'd be like: meh. This draft sucks. You look at them six or seven years later when that pair helped Jordan win 3 rings! That's another story.

They had Pippe, Grant, Reggie Lewis, Kenny Smith. Kevn Johnson got traded halfway through that rookie season.

Mark Jackson was the ROY and he was the 18th pick. David Robinson was drafted, but didn't play for two years.

that draft looked AWFUL three months into the season. But those names are ALL names you know now.

So let's just wait and see how these ids turn out.

Arch Stanton
01-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Bennett is gonna be an all-star in the Z League.

Swashcuff
01-16-2014, 08:38 PM
I think of the rookie sophomore game and think, "Wonder how many rookies will be in this?" Only ones I'd send would be MCW, Oladipo and Trey Burke

If you watched Giannis play you'd absolutely send him as well. He'd put up more highlights than most of the dudes there and after all that's really what that game is about.

Hawkeye15
01-16-2014, 09:48 PM
like MBT said, so far, no bueno. But there is so much youth now, who knows.

spreadeagle
01-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Bennett is gonna be an all-star in the Z League. lmao, I route for him cause hes Canadian but he could def go down as the worst #1 pick ever if he doesn't dramatically improve

sunsfan88
01-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Len has been hurt for most of the season as well and hasn't played...idiotic to give Noel a pass and not him.