PDA

View Full Version : Why can't players jump when shooting free throws?

Chrisclover
01-15-2014, 09:09 PM
For some cumbersome NBA big men,when taking shots ,they look like making free throws, which means they barely jump up as high as others do .
But to think it from another angle, why can't player jump during FTs ?Jumping can give them an arc which in turn increases the FT percentage.
I know it is a rule that you cant do it. But why did the rule makers decide it in the first place ?

COOLbeans
01-15-2014, 09:17 PM
Well in my experience a jump shot makes a standing free throw harder. It's easier not to jump

ThaDubs
01-15-2014, 09:46 PM
It makes you look like a *****

Chrisclover
01-15-2014, 09:47 PM
But for those professional players, they may perform better if they can jump, considering they practise shooting everyday.
Well in my experience a jump shot makes a standing free throw harder. It's easier not to jump

Duncan = Donkey
01-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Are you allowed too jump though?

DreamShaker
01-15-2014, 10:26 PM
I saw MKG do it in pre-season.

KnicksorBust
01-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Free throws are all about repetition and routine. That allows the shot to become muscle memory. Jumping adds a variable that is hard to keep constant with every shot. Think about how hard it would be to jump exactly the same height/speed/direction every time.

DreamShaker
01-15-2014, 10:29 PM
You just can't jump forward. Someone told me Wilt tried to do that. Like he was playing 21 on the playground when he had 19 type stuff, trying to get the rebound.

beasted86
01-15-2014, 10:33 PM
You can definitely jump to shoot free throws as long as you don't pass the line. I've seen MKG do it a couple times already just recently against the HEAT.

tredigs
01-15-2014, 10:36 PM
How the **** would the ability to jump give you more arc?

You jump to avoid blocks and to generate force from your legs on deeper shots, it wouldn't garner more arc on an uncontested FT.

bholly
01-15-2014, 11:02 PM
For some cumbersome NBA big men,when taking shots ,they look like making free throws, which means they barely jump up as high as others do .
But to think it from another angle, why can't player jump during FTs ?Jumping can give them an arc which in turn increases the FT percentage.
I know it is a rule that you cant do it. But why did the rule makers decide it in the first place ?

It isn't. Free throw stuff starts on page 31: http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/img/3.0/sect/summerleague/2013-14-NBA-Rule-Book.pdf

People just don't do it that much because it's unnecessary and doesn't help.

5ass
01-15-2014, 11:15 PM
I think so too.

KingPosey
01-15-2014, 11:33 PM
You can jump, you just can't cross the line.

With mechanics and timing it's a lot easier not to shoot a jump shot

KingPosey
01-15-2014, 11:36 PM
If you could cross the line guys like Lebron would just do a layup if not dunk occasionally.

*Silver&Black*
01-15-2014, 11:40 PM
My silly question, since we are on this subject,

Why can't a free throw shooter, when down and need to miss a FT for a offensive rebound, be able to throw the ball hard at the front of the rim (imagine a one handed, behind your head throw like a football) to make it bounce back to him for an easy rebound? Instead of just shooting it, hoping for a miss and it to bounce at an angle for your teammates to grab it. Never really understood if there was a rule in the NBA to ban an obvious throw and miss of a FT.

blahblahyoutoo
01-15-2014, 11:46 PM

Why can't a free throw shooter, when down and need to miss a FT for a offensive rebound, be able to throw the ball hard at the front of the rim (imagine a one handed, behind your head throw like a football) to make it bounce back to him for an easy rebound? Instead of just shooting it, hoping for a miss and it to bounce at an angle for your teammates to grab it. Never really understood if there was a rule in the NBA to ban an obvious throw and miss of a FT.

there's no rule that says u can't.
but considering the rim is circular, you better hit it at the right spot to avoid it ricocheting another direction.

TheMightyHumph
01-16-2014, 12:20 AM
It makes you look like a *****

Yeah. That should be a major concern for people making millions of dollars to do the best they can in order for their team to win.

TheMightyHumph
01-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Seems you guys are all to young to remember NBA HOFer Hal Greer.

Rndy
01-16-2014, 04:12 AM
If I was a dominating big man and sucked at FTs like Howard I'd just to it Granny style who gives a ****? If you could do that accurately that is the difference in winning and losing in late game situations if some guys cared as much about winning as their image NBA would be a better game.

I'd find it more embarrassed shooting 50% than shooting it underhand Rick Barry had the right idea 90% ft shooter.

PowerHouse
01-16-2014, 05:02 AM

This guy said it best. The '67 Sixers didnt give a damn what anybody thought about their free throw shooting styles, whether it was Wilt with his "granny style" or Greer with his jumping free throws. And yes it is perfectly legal to shoot a jump shot free throw as long as you dont cross the line until the ball reaches rim and as long as you are in the half circle thing at the top of the key.

Guppyfighter
01-16-2014, 05:58 AM
I think backing up and taking it like a jumpshot would help players. Not against the rules either.

KingstonHawke
01-16-2014, 06:02 AM

That would be hard as hell to do. You'd have to be Drummond type terrible to even consider that. And with as much practice as it would take to get good at doing that. You're probably better off just putting that practice towards raising your free throw %. Even going from 33 to 50% is a significant jump.

Also, I refuse to believe that big men can't get good at shooting free throws. Being taller, and having bigger hands actually give you advantages. The problem is with their game. They don't shoot jumpers all day every day because they either play with their back to the basket or rim-run. Look at all the big men that cared about being shooters and how good they were from the line. Yao, Dirk, Olajuwon, Bosh, ALL 7 footers who consistently shot free throws well. It has and always will be about learning proper form, and then putting the reps in.

asandhu23
01-16-2014, 06:30 AM
You just can't jump forward. Someone told me Wilt tried to do that. Like he was playing 21 on the playground when he had 19 type stuff, trying to get the rebound.

Well, he changed the rules a bit. He used to jump from the free throw line and dunk it in. They added the rule that you couldn't cross the imaginary vertical plane of free throws, etc.

asandhu23
01-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Yep. Waaaay before our times.

bagwell368
01-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Come on guys. During a game you can shoot foul shots being fresh, exhausted or anywhere in between, the jump isn't always going to be consistent. IE more variables are bad. Same dip, same foot position, same way to have your finger tips on the ball, same elbow position (that's a big one), same dead fish fingers at the end...

I always thought players with issues should either try underhand, or use the backboard - but everyone is so cool that it's swish or nothing...

I had my teams practice with their eyes closed so they could focus on mechanics and not so much through the eyes. They always hate the first couple of tries and then they like it because they see they already have the mechanics down to hit the rim almost every time - pr better.

JasonJohnHorn
01-16-2014, 09:19 AM
I've never heard of 'you can't jump' rule.

Players don't do it because it makes the shot harder.

It is easier to shoot from a stable position. It's like asking why pool players don't jump as they strike the pool queue.

That said, Wilt Chamberlain did used to do hook shot from the free throw line sometimes.

Chrisclover
01-16-2014, 11:13 AM
So you are a basketball coach ?awesome !

Come on guys. During a game you can shoot foul shots being fresh, exhausted or anywhere in between, the jump isn't always going to be consistent. IE more variables are bad. Same dip, same foot position, same way to have your finger tips on the ball, same elbow position (that's a big one), same dead fish fingers at the end...

I always thought players with issues should either try underhand, or use the backboard - but everyone is so cool that it's swish or nothing...

I had my teams practice with their eyes closed so they could focus on mechanics and not so much through the eyes. They always hate the first couple of tries and then they like it because they see they already have the mechanics down to hit the rim almost every time - pr better.

ewing
01-16-2014, 11:14 AM

it not against the rules to jump. It just means you cant shoot

Silverbullets
01-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Free throws are all about repetition and routine. That allows the shot to become muscle memory. Jumping adds a variable that is hard to keep constant with every shot. Think about how hard it would be to jump exactly the same height/speed/direction every time.

Also, I refuse to believe that big men can't get good at shooting free throws. Being taller, and having bigger hands actually give you advantages. The problem is with their game. They don't shoot jumpers all day every day because they either play with their back to the basket or rim-run. Look at all the big men that cared about being shooters and how good they were from the line. Yao, Dirk, Olajuwon, Bosh, ALL 7 footers who consistently shot free throws well. It has and always will be about learning proper form, and then putting the reps in.

I often thought that big men like Shaq should learn to shoot from their knees, so they can get proper technique.

all of the above. shooting free throws from a standing position eliminates all of the other variables in a jump shot.

edit: my finger hit the enter button before I was done :(

Ryan Evans for the Wisconsin Badgers just a cpl yrs ago was in a huge slump at the free throw line, so he started doing jump shots. He would line up a cpl feet behind the free throw line and shoot his jump shot.

Silverbullets
01-16-2014, 12:45 PM
How the **** would the ability to jump give you more arc?

You jump to avoid blocks and to generate force from your legs on deeper shots, it wouldn't garner more arc on an uncontested FT.

actually jumping does give you the ability to get the ball higher/farther. I think you contradicted your own question with your next sentence. and yes, it is also used to jump over the block of a defender. It's like when people grunt when hitting a ball, it gives you like 7-10% more strength.

John Walls Era
01-16-2014, 12:58 PM
yeah make the shot harder... that would help. Players would start jumping differently depending on how tired they are, especially big men.

tr3ymill3r
01-16-2014, 01:19 PM
As the shooter you can shoot from anywhere inside the arc. Plenty of guys throughout history have taken a step or 2 back, or even moved a little to the side of the line. The most drastic that comes to mind was Nick Van Exel.

SanPitte
01-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Hal Greer had a respectable career average of 80% from the FT line, and he jump shot them...you just got to find your move and practice it

Raps18-19 Champ
01-16-2014, 01:41 PM
You are allowed pretty sure. It is just harder to do it jumping. Also, you have to be conscious about stepping past the line because it will be a violation.

bholly
01-16-2014, 02:02 PM
actually jumping does give you the ability to get the ball higher/farther. I think you contradicted your own question with your next sentence. and yes, it is also used to jump over the block of a defender. It's like when people grunt when hitting a ball, it gives you like 7-10% more strength.

jumping gives you the ability to get it higher/farther, but that isn't really what you want for a free throw - they could throw it higher/farther just from standing, but choose not to.
'getting more arc' has multiple inexact meanings, but the basic idea is the angle, ie how vertical the shot is - it isn't so much about the absolute height off the ground. but there's a tradeoff between angle/height and accuracy - the closer it is to vertical when it descends then the bigger the target is and the better chance it has of going in, but to get it more vertical you have to shoot it higher which makes it harder to be accurate.
if you shoot from higher up (like you do with a jumpshot), you get more height and have to shoot at a flatter angle, so it's the opposite of what you want in both ways. what you want is to shoot from low down, so that you can shoot a high angle without having to shoot the ball too high and lose accuracy. that's essentially why a jump shot doesn't help (in addition to being less stable and all that).

in short, getting it higher/farther isn't the same as getting more arc. if you shoot from lower, you can get more arc (ie a higher angle) without having to shoot it so far above the rim and thus lose accuracy.

also, i don't think grunting gives you more power, it's that when you hit with full power you end up grunting. the grunting is a result of your effort and energy and how much strength you're using and all that, not the other way around.

MrfadeawayJB
01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
you can jump on ft's but its something I've only seen little kids and girls do

Rentzias
01-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Not sure why you would jump when given the chance to shoot without jumping. It's like hitting a moving target vs. not.

PurpleLynch
01-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Because when you jump you have to correctly time the release and bigmen usually don't have that skill.So it would be more difficult for them adjusting to a jump+free throw kind of shot.

Hawkeye15
01-16-2014, 08:12 PM
you can jump....

But even a 5'6", 150 lb dude can hit a FT without jumping. It's all about repetition and breathing.

IndyRealist
01-16-2014, 11:03 PM
That would be hard as hell to do. You'd have to be Drummond type terrible to even consider that. And with as much practice as it would take to get good at doing that. You're probably better off just putting that practice towards raising your free throw %. Even going from 33 to 50% is a significant jump.

We've had this discussion here before.
1) Big men are coached early on in other aspects of the game, with jump shooting and free throws not being a high priority. Coaches on any level are judged by winning, not by producing well rounded players. If you're over 6'6" in high school you're probably playing center. Big men will get college scholarships solely because they're big, while short guys have to learn to learn the fundamentals just to make varsity.
2) Trajectory and velocity play a big factor in free throw shooting. If a big man puts any sort of arc on the ball, then it will be traveling at a high velocity when it gets to the rim, increasing the chances of rimming out. If they shoot it flat they are extremely likely to hit the back of the rim. Optimally, the ball should peak where it just clears the rim so when it is coming down it has no downward energy. Then even if it hits the rim it doesn't have enough force to bounce out.

Statistically, the best free throw is the granny shot. But these days you won't catch any player doing it.

albertajaysfan
01-16-2014, 11:34 PM

Wasn't he able to dunk from the free throw line or something ridiculous?

NoahH
01-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Yeah you can jump, but I'm not sure why you would. In my experience playing, I used to jump when shooting FTs when I was like 7 or 8 and then once I had enough strength to NOT jump, I stopped jumping because its all about repetition. Not jumping gives you more control over your shot and you hit a higher percentage. I'm probably an 80% FT shooter and I'm sure if i jumped for every FT, my FT% would drop. Obviously some NBA players wouldn't be effected by this because they're better shooters than me, but do you really think players like Andre Drummond would have any better success jumping from the FT line? He rarely shoots outside of 5 feet ANYWAYS, so I'm sure he isn't a knockdown shooter form the FT line.

benzni
01-17-2014, 12:59 PM

Jimmer Fredette did something like this and it almost resulted in a win for the Kings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJMTIt2xJVA&feature=youtu.be&t=3m40s

KnicksorBust
01-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Jimmer Fredette did something like this and it almost resulted in a win for the Kings.

I don't think people realize how hard that is to pull off.

asandhu23
01-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Wasn't he able to dunk from the free throw line or something ridiculous?

yes

*Silver&Black*
01-17-2014, 11:43 PM

Exactly what I was talking about. Thanks.

sunsfan88
01-18-2014, 12:22 AM
You would look pretty stupid doing it.

championships
01-18-2014, 12:25 AM
No defender in front of you at the charity stripe. No Point in jumping

Nick O
01-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Wilt chamberlain used to basically dunk from the free throw line when you were allowed to jump; they had to change the rule. why cant you jump and stay behind the line. i dunno. that makes it harder tho

Sly Guy
01-18-2014, 10:08 PM

pretty much this. Standing set shots provide a constant base for your release. Your jump can be affected by a lot of things.

Pierre The Poet
01-22-2014, 04:10 AM
Then why do NBA players jump when wide open? Why not just stand there flat footed and shoot a midrange jumper?

Pierre The Poet
01-22-2014, 04:10 AM
pretty much this. Standing set shots provide a constant base for your release. Your jump can be affected by a lot of things.

NBA players practice 3pointers during practice with light jumping and hardly ever miss...I don't see jumping really being a factor

Pierre The Poet
01-22-2014, 04:13 AM
Yeah you can jump, but I'm not sure why you would. In my experience playing, I used to jump when shooting FTs when I was like 7 or 8 and then once I had enough strength to NOT jump, I stopped jumping because its all about repetition. Not jumping gives you more control over your shot and you hit a higher percentage. I'm probably an 80% FT shooter and I'm sure if i jumped for every FT, my FT% would drop. Obviously some NBA players wouldn't be effected by this because they're better shooters than me, but do you really think players like Andre Drummond would have any better success jumping from the FT line? He rarely shoots outside of 5 feet ANYWAYS, so I'm sure he isn't a knockdown shooter form the FT line.

You're probably more of a 60% free throw shooter

TrueFan420
01-22-2014, 04:15 AM
You can jump, you just can't cross the line.

With mechanics and timing it's a lot easier not to shoot a jump shot

This

JordansBulls
01-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Makes it a harder shot to make especially with no one on you. The reason you jump for shots is a defender is on you or you are shooting further out.

Tony_Starks
01-22-2014, 06:35 PM
I never even thought about why, I just assumed everyone on the court would laugh at me and coach would give me the WTF expression...

bagwell368
01-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Then why do NBA players jump when wide open? Why not just stand there flat footed and shoot a midrange jumper?

Open shots are rare in the NBA, so players go with what they practice which are J's, not set shots. The only set shot players practice is free throws on a regular basis.

ewing
01-23-2014, 10:39 AM

if i'm wide open i barely leave the ground. This is true of a lot true shooters. Its harder jump and shoot.

mavwar53
01-25-2014, 12:14 PM
If you've ever played basketball then you would understand why they don't jump. The same reason great 3pt shooters are catch and shoot guys that don't jump much, Ray Allen, Korver, Novak, they jump but usually as little as needed just to get some power from their lower half.