PDA

View Full Version : Worst championship team in the past 20 years.

jerellh528
01-15-2014, 06:02 AM
We are always trying to find out who was the best, I wanna know which team you guys think had the worst roster, yet still went on to win the championship.

IMO it's between the 09,10, or 11 championship rosters.

krrys11
01-15-2014, 09:36 AM
2004 Detroit Pistons :
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DET/2004.html

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Butt hurt^? With all things considered, probably a top 5 championship team of all time when you ask people who appreciate team work and discipline.

Easily the 2006 Heat for me.

Cal827
01-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Butt hurt^? With all things considered, probably a top 5 championship team of all time when you ask people who appreciate team work and discipline.

Easily the 2006 Heat for me.

Pretty much everything that was said here.

That Pistons team was fun to watch. Also, no way in hell does a bad Championship team take down a Laker team with Prime Shaq, Prime Kobe, Malone, and Payton (Older but still playing better than average starters) and HCA so easily

Also consider that the team made it to the Finals Back-to-Back, pushed the other Western Conference Dynasty in San Antonio to 7 games (Including winning Game 6 on their home court to stay alive till another day), went 64-18 the next year and constantly were in the ECF over the 2000s, they definitely weren't bad lol

Either Miami in 2006, or Dallas in 2011.

Leaning Towards the First Heat Championship team though, b/c everyone other than Wade was not playing at their best or age was starting to take its toll

NYKnickFanatic
01-15-2014, 10:49 AM
2004 Detroit Pistons :

The Pistons might not have had the best talent, or much of it, but they definitely aren't the worst team to win a championship in the past 20 years.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Lakers related signature, Check...

Butthurt, Check...

Open shut case.

As far as our talent level, will the world see another player like Rasheed Wallace? Ben was a once in a lifetime defensive talent, a prime RIP was an efficient 20 PPG scorer, Chauncey was an MVP candidate a few seasons after, and Tayshaun was a great glue guy. Our bench had Mehmet Okur who went on to land a near max contract the following season, Corliss Williamson (former 6th man of the year), Mike James and Lindsey Hunter who were an absolute nightmare for opposing back courts, Elden Campbell who was an excellent back up center. Not to mention one of the greatest coaches of the generation.

I think we were super talented. No need for me to go any further, Cal filled in the blanks with his post.

sixer04fan
01-15-2014, 11:11 AM

Butthurt, Check...

Open shut case.

As far as our talent level, will the world see another player like Rasheed Wallace? Ben was a once in a lifetime defensive talent, a prime RIP was an efficient 20 PPG scorer, Chauncey was an MVP candidate a few seasons after, and Tayshaun was a great glue guy. Our bench had Mehmet Okur who went on to land a near max contract the following season, Corliss Williamson (former 6th man of the year), Mike James and Lindsey Hunter who were an absolute nightmare for opposing back courts, Elden Campbell who was an excellent back up center. Not to mention one of the greatest coaches of the generation.

I think we were super talented. No need for me to go any further, Cal filled in the blanks with his post.

^Overly defensive much? Jeez. It's his opinion, chill dude.

As for me - I'm gonna go with 2011 Mavericks, 2009 Lakers, or 2006 Heat.

D-Leethal
01-15-2014, 11:45 AM
LMAO, 09-10 Lakers were STACKED.

Kobe, Gasol, Bynum with Odom off the bench?

Not to mention, Ron Artest was still an all star caliber player the year before he joined LA and sacrificed his game (fell off a cliff since then).

sixer04fan
01-15-2014, 12:06 PM

Not to mention, Ron Artest was still an all star caliber player the year before he joined LA and sacrificed his game (fell off a cliff since then).

If you're responding to me, I'm talking about the 2008-2009 Lakers. Don't get me wrong, they were a really good team (obviously you have to be to win a title), but compared to other championship teams in the last 20 years (Duncan's Spurs, others Lakers teams, Jordan's Bulls, Lebron's Heat, etc), they aren't as impressive IMO. Just my opinion, though.

The NBA overall was pretty bad that year. They didn't really have to face anyone in the playoffs... I mean, they played the Magic in the finals. Melo's Nuggets were pretty good I guess in the WCF. But compared to playoff tests that other championship teams have faced in the past, this was a cake walk.

For the record though, I'll put them ahead of the '06 Heat and the '11 Mavs if it makes you happy.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Butthurt, Check...

Open shut case.

^Overly defensive much? Jeez. It's his opinion, chill dude.

As for me - I'm gonna go with 2011 Mavericks, 2009 Lakers, or 2006 Heat.

I dont see that as me being overly defensive. I see it as someone running their mouth just to run it. I don't like when people have no facts to support their opinion, maybe if we stop promoting this type of behavior this place won't be so damn annoying.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 12:32 PM
should i excuse ignorance because it's the nice thing to do?

Longhornfan1234
01-15-2014, 12:44 PM
'06 Heat. How does a Wade led team win a championship? :laugh::laugh:

sixer04fan
01-15-2014, 12:45 PM
I dont see that as me being overly defensive. I see it as someone running their mouth just to run it. I don't like when people have no facts to support their opinion, maybe if we stop promoting this type of behavior this place won't be so damn annoying.

I mean... One person mentioned the Pistons (didn't run his mouth at all, like you claim) and you freaked out calling him a "butt-hurt" Lakers fan.

Lindsey Hunter and Mike James were "nightmares" for opposing backcourts? Elden Campbell was an "excellent" backup center? "Top 5 championship team of all time"? Haha.

Yeah, I'd say you were being overly defensive.

king4day
01-15-2014, 12:52 PM
It's easy to say Detroit of '04 but they were a defensive juggernaut. That series probably should have been a sweep. I think I recall in game 2, Kobe hit a tough 3 or something just to prolong the game.

Miami '06 is probably a good choice. They weren't bad, but there were a few teams that year who could have just as easily won the title.

beasted86
01-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Least talented Championship team in the past 20 years was the 2006 Miami HEAT?

How about those Lakers rosters with Lindsay Hunter, Rick Fox and Samaki Walker starting? Rotation players such as Slavo Medvedenko and Mark Madsen. You guys are complete idiots when it comes to basketball IQ.

J_M_B
01-15-2014, 12:57 PM
'06 Heat. How does a Wade led team win a championship? :laugh::laugh:

You're a fool :laugh2:

Longhornfan1234
01-15-2014, 01:11 PM

How about those Lakers rosters with Lindsay Hunter, Rick Fox and Samaki Walker starting? Rotation players such as Slavo Medvedenko and Mark Madsen. You guys are complete idiots when it comes to basketball IQ.

3rd year Wade led them to to title. That's embarrassing. Wade's supporting cast was out of prime Shaq, an old Payton and Walker.

Longhornfan1234
01-15-2014, 01:14 PM
You're a fool :laugh2:

How so? Wade is not a top 9 player of 2000s.

Shaq
Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
KG
Dirk
Nash
Kidd
AI

There's no way a team led by Wade should have won a championship. Down year in '06.

t_money25
01-15-2014, 01:35 PM

Shaq
Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
KG
Dirk
Nash
Kidd
AI

There's no way a team led by Wade should have won a championship. Down year in '06.

You can't be serious??? :confused:

Slug3
01-15-2014, 01:38 PM

Hunter and Fox hit 3s. That's all they needed to do really.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 01:40 PM

I mean... One person mentioned the Pistons (didn't run his mouth at all, like you claim) and you freaked out calling him a "butt-hurt" Lakers fan.

Lindsey Hunter and Mike James were "nightmares" for opposing backcourts? Elden Campbell was an "excellent" backup center? "Top 5 championship team of all time"? Haha.

of the last 20 years not of all time, my mistake. I would suggest u take a look at the numbers for hunter and James in the 03-04 post season,they were historically good. i love the fact that from my comment u pick on the bench players to show flaws in my argument. Three out of 10 players listed, and a combined 20-30 mpg. That comment you're quoting wasn't even directed towards the original poster, it was directed at Nyknicksfantastic, a friend of mine, who suggested that they didnt have that much talent. We were having a discussion, and then you jumped in trying to be a tough guy.

There was nothing innocent about the original comment, and of course no one else mentioned the Pistons, it was a foolish answer based on the reasons I've provided.

Tony_Starks
01-15-2014, 01:50 PM
That Mavericks team that beat the Heat. Had it not been for a all time epic choke there's no way they should've won....

nickdymez
01-15-2014, 01:51 PM

Heat fans and their petty little 3 championships always get so upset at the Lakers.

Chronz
01-15-2014, 01:58 PM
2003 Spurs, without a doubt. They benefited from alot of extenuating circumstances (Lakers implosion, Dirk/Webber injuries), weaker era overall.

sixer04fan
01-15-2014, 02:03 PM
of the last 20 years not of all time, my mistake. I would suggest u take a look at the numbers for hunter and James in the 03-04 post season,they were historically good. i love the fact that from my comment u pick on the bench players to show flaws in my argument. Three out of 10 players listed, and a combined 20-30 mpg. That comment you're quoting wasn't even directed towards the original poster, it was directed at Nyknicksfantastic, a friend of mine, who suggested that they didnt have that much talent. We were having a discussion, and then you jumped in trying to be a tough guy.

There was nothing innocent about the original comment, and of course no one else mentioned the Pistons, it was a foolish answer based on the reasons I've provided.

Lindsey Hunter, 2003-2004 postseason: 23 games, 2.4 PPG, .292 FG%, 1.4 RPG, 0.9 APG

Mike James, 2003-2004 postseason: 22 games, 2.6 PPG, .396 FG%, 1.2 RPG, 1.1 APG

I guess you and I have different definitions of "historically good." And you're the one who's calling people out for having no facts to support their opinions?

Chronz
01-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Heat fans and their petty little 3 championships always get so upset at the Lakers.

Just curious, do you count the Minny titles as well?

Chronz
01-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Lindsey Hunter, 2003-2004 postseason: 23 games, 2.4 PPG, .292 FG%, 1.4 RPG, 0.9 APG

I guess you and I have different definitions of "historically good." And you're the one who's calling people out for having no facts to support their opinions?

Yea but ask any Detroit fan and they will tell you how good the duo was at pressuring backcourts, especially backups. If you only had 1 ball handler on the floor, these 2 would cause havoc defensively. Dont know about the historically good bit but they were memorable IMO.

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 02:34 PM
2003 Spurs, without a doubt. They benefited from alot of extenuating circumstances (Lakers implosion, Dirk/Webber injuries), weaker era overall.

This. That Spurs team was not the squad we've known from the past 6-8 years. Ginobili was a rookie, Parker was in his second season, and neither guy was anything close to the players they would later become. You could make a strong case that a 37-year-old David Robinson was the second best player on that team.

As a Rockets fan, though, I'd also like to put up the 94 Rockets for consideration. Otis Thorpe was the only player remotely close to a No. 2 on that team, Maxwell was an atrocious offensive player and Sam Cassell was only a rookie. Hakeem carried that team on his freaking back.

Chronz
01-15-2014, 02:37 PM
That Mavericks team that beat the Heat. Had it not been for a all time epic choke there's no way they should've won....
Those Mavericks took out every allegedly superior team and in embarrassing fashion in the case of the defending champs. Mark Cuban takes offense to people who think stars struggling is simply a choke job, it doesn't give credit where it should be placed, on the defense. When Kobe couldn't get into the paint and settled for jumper after jumper, was it not a brilliant strategy to surrender those shots? Bron struggling is evident in itself. He can take the blame for his relatively poor performance just as many other players have struggled throughout various series and taken the blame. All-Time talk is a bunch of hyperbole, never trust laker fans when it comes to judging history is my motto. ... jk tho

Chronz
01-15-2014, 02:39 PM
2004 Detroit Pistons :

You mean one of the best defensive teams of all time?

Kaner
01-15-2014, 02:46 PM

The original comment wasn't even that unreasonable, on paper (which is the only thing he showed) that is one of the least talented teams to win a championship, Chauncey Billups while very good is probably the worst Finals MVP ever. Don't get me wrong I LOVE that they beat the lakers that year and they are an awesome example that team basketball and defense can win a championship which I think was important to prove. Talent wise though will anyone on that roster make it into the Hall of fame? MAYBE one of Big Ben or Billups but they're both borderline if not, which wouldn't be unreasonable, that's probably the only team in nba history without a hall of famer.

Slug3
01-15-2014, 02:47 PM

3 for a franchise who has only been around since 88 is good. Lakers have been around 40 more years and won 12 of those championships when Miami was not in the league.

mudvayne387
01-15-2014, 02:49 PM
With all due respect to the OP, when you created this thread did you honestly think the posters here on PSD would be mature enough to discuss a thread like this ? As soon as I read the title I said "O Boy", this is going to turn into a pissing match where everyone defends their own team ...

Chronz
01-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Hunter and Fox hit 3s. That's all they needed to do really.

And they didn't even do that well, at least not Hunter and Fox was average. He was a +defender tho so I dont think he needs to be looked at as a negative.

albertajaysfan
01-15-2014, 02:56 PM
From an overall team talent perspective the 06' Heat. Which is a testament to how good Wade was that year.

They were an extremely top heavy team but Wade had a post season performances for the ages.

donovanmcnabb
01-15-2014, 03:03 PM
01 Wizards

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 03:03 PM

No, you and I have a different understanding of which stats matter, and which ones don't.

Why would you post offensive numbers to point out how good (or bad) a defender off of the bench player was/is? I'm confused. Really not trying to be a dick, and really wasn't trying to freak out on the guy who suggested the Pistons. But come on man, this is not an argument worth continuing.

flea
01-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Wade had the boys in blue on his side in 06. Has to be mentioned if anyone is going to praise Wade for his ability to propel his body into defenders in the paint.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 03:08 PM
The original comment wasn't even that unreasonable, on paper (which is the only thing he showed) that is one of the least talented teams to win a championship, Chauncey Billups while very good is probably the worst Finals MVP ever. Don't get me wrong I LOVE that they beat the lakers that year and they are an awesome example that team basketball and defense can win a championship which I think was important to prove. Talent wise though will anyone on that roster make it into the Hall of fame? MAYBE one of Big Ben or Billups but they're both borderline if not, which wouldn't be unreasonable, that's probably the only team in nba history without a hall of famer.

There is zero truth to that statement though. I don't see the logic behind suggesting that a team that has 1 or 2 stars and a bunch of crap is more talented than a team full of good players. They are looked at as one of the deepest starting fives in quite some time, and they had 3 former (or future//past tense) starters on the bench.

That to me = talent. Hall of fame or not.

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Anyone claiming it's the 06 Heat are either really young or have an incredibly short memory. That team had Wade and a still-damn-good Shaquille O'Neal on the same roster. Antoine Walker sucked, but he was a decent volume scorer, and there were some solid role players on that team. But bottom line, that team had a legit No. 2. The 2003 Spurs and 1994 Rockets did not.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 03:15 PM
I said the 06 heat, and I've been watching basketball since 87.

From the phantom calls, to Wade's theatrics, it's hard to be a fan of that team. Not a heat hater, but Wade is not a likable player to the rest of the league. Sure, they had a legit #2, but who was the legit #1? IMO, there was nothing legit about his performance.

Slug3
01-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Wade had the boys in blue on his side in 06. Has to be mentioned if anyone is going to praise Wade for his ability to propel his body into defenders in the paint.

As much as people love to bring this up. Does anyone remember the FTs dirk kept missing at the end of games?

sixer04fan
01-15-2014, 03:16 PM
No, you and I have a different opinion of what stats matter, and what stats are for morons who don't understand the game.

lol @ posting standard (offensive) numbers to point out how good of a defender a bench player was. If this wasn't a joke at first, I sure hope it is now. Really not trying to be a dick, and really wasn't trying to freak out on the guy who suggested the Pistons. But come on man, this is not an argument worth continuing.

So the bad stats don't matter. Got it. They were historically good players despite that. I'm such a moron. Okay.

MJ played 9 mpg in the postseason that year. Hunter played 12 mpg.

Historically good. Nightmares for opposing backcourts. Your words, not mine.

You suggested I look up the numbers, and I did. You called a Lakers fan butt-hurt and you called me a moron. IMO that shows nothing but extreme immaturity, but that's fine. But if you refuse to admit that you went overboard (aka overly defensive), then there's nothing else to talk about.

I'm not arguing that the Pistons weren't a great team. They were one of the best defensive units I've ever seen. And they were a true championship caliber team. But all championship teams have good, memorable role players that step up in the postseason. Some of these players may not have been as special as you remember.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Man, I'm talking about defense here. When they came in, they were referred to as the pit bulls, and they were straight nasty to opposing guards (on defense). No, the bad stats don't matter when they have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. If I wasn't being vague, then I should clarify.

I'm sorry if I called you a moron.

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 03:24 PM
I said the 06 heat, and I've been watching basketball since 87.

From the phantom calls, to Wade's theatrics, it's hard to be a fan of that team. Not a heat hater, but Wade is not a likable player to the rest of the league. Sure, they had a legit #2, but who was the legit #1? IMO, there was nothing legit about his performance.

Who gives a **** whether Wade is likable or not? That misses the point entirely. Wade is one of the 3-4 greatest SGs of all time and that season was one of his best ever, not to mention one of the greatest postseason performances of all time. And by focusing on Wade, you completely miss the fact that Shaq was still a very good basketball player that season. The dude averaged 20/9/2/2 with a 24.4 PER and a .164 WS/48. That's probably one of the best statistical statlines of a No. 2 on any champion in league history.

Was the rest of the team pretty bad? Sure, but their role players weren't worse than most team's role players. Walker was a decent, albeit inefficient No. 3, while Williams, Haslem, Posey and Payton all played their roles well. That is clearly a superior basketball team on paper to the 03 Spurs or 94 Rockets, who had nothing remotely close to a past-his-prime Shaquille O'Neal as a No. 2 and a similarly talented group of role players.

JasonJohnHorn
01-15-2014, 03:25 PM
I would say that EVERY team to have won a championship is an AMAZING team. I wouldn't bother trying to argue who was the 'worst'. But if I was ranking them, the 2006 Heat team would go pretty low among the other winners.

I'm tempted to say the Heat from the last two seasons, because I know if they played against a C like Shaq, they'd get destroyed, but they have played some very good teams that I think could compete with the Shaq/Kobe teams..... so I don't want to discount them and what they've accomplished.

But that 2006 Heat team.... man... the calls they got.... CRAZY!

nickdymez
01-15-2014, 03:28 PM
3 for a franchise who has only been around since 88 is good. Lakers have been around 40 more years and won 12 of those championships when Miami was not in the league.

Lakers won 5 in 15 years bro...

flea
01-15-2014, 03:28 PM
As much as people love to bring this up. Does anyone remember the FTs dirk kept missing at the end of games?

Here's what I remember.

For the series

Dirk: 49/55 FTs for 89%
Wade 75/97 FTs for 77%

One of those numbers looks crooked, and it's not the amount of FTs missed by Dirk.

TheMightyHumph
01-15-2014, 03:34 PM
So, it's '94 Rockets, '03 Spurs, '04 Pistons, '06 Heat.

Not necessarily in that order.

ThuglifeJ
01-15-2014, 03:52 PM
2 out of the 3 Heat titles were pretty straight ridiculous. 06 you had a disgraceful amount of foul calls. Last year you had a bail out 3 to save it and Ginobili playing for the wrong team (he looked like he was deliberately throwing the ball out of bounds..)

Those are worst teams not worst roster though. Worst roster id have to say the Mavs. Loved the team but the roster was weak. Dirk was a hero

TheMightyHumph
01-15-2014, 04:35 PM
2 out of the 3 Heat titles were pretty straight ridiculous. 06 you had a disgraceful amount of foul calls. Last year you had a bail out 3 to save it and Ginobili playing for the wrong team (he looked like he was deliberately throwing the ball out of bounds..)

Those are worst teams not worst roster though. Worst roster id have to say the Mavs. Loved the team but the roster was weak. Dirk was a hero

Check out Rockets '94 roster.

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 04:35 PM

This post makes no sense. How were they the worst teams, but not the worst rosters? Are you saying their championships were the least impressive? Because that's what it sounds like to me, which is fine. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the point of this thread. I thought the Lakers have had some relatively weak championship over the past 10-15 years, but their teams have been insanely talented. There is a big difference between those two, and it sounds like you're not separating them at all.

KingPosey
01-15-2014, 05:06 PM

Shaq
Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
KG
Dirk
Nash
Kidd
AI

I'm not going to get into where he fits but Allen Iverson over Wade lol?

Bruno
01-15-2014, 05:10 PM
If you're responding to me, I'm talking about the 2008-2009 Lakers. Don't get me wrong, they were a really good team (obviously you have to be to win a title), but compared to other championship teams in the last 20 years (Duncan's Spurs, others Lakers teams, Jordan's Bulls, Lebron's Heat, etc), they aren't as impressive IMO. Just my opinion, though.

The NBA overall was pretty bad that year. They didn't really have to face anyone in the playoffs... I mean, they played the Magic in the finals. Melo's Nuggets were pretty good I guess in the WCF. But compared to playoff tests that other championship teams have faced in the past, this was a cake walk.

For the record though, I'll put them ahead of the '06 Heat and the '11 Mavs if it makes you happy.
Miami playing the sub .500 Bucks and a Bulls team without Rose or Deng- with Noah on one foot wasn't a cake walk?

Denver was top 8 in SRS and Orlando had the leagues top ranked defense. obviously it should have been LA/Boston three years in a row but KG got injured.

jerellh528
01-15-2014, 05:14 PM
With all due respect to the OP, when you created this thread did you honestly think the posters here on PSD would be mature enough to discuss a thread like this ? As soon as I read the title I said "O Boy", this is going to turn into a pissing match where everyone defends their own team ...

I thought so. I myself threw 2 of my own teams championships in there. The lakers last 2 champ rosters were really weak comparatively.

KingPosey
01-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Man, I'm talking about defense here. When they came in, they were referred to as the pit bulls, and they were straight nasty to opposing guards (on defense). No, the bad stats don't matter when they have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. If I wasn't being vague, then I should clarify.

I'm sorry if I called you a moron.
I'm seriously just asking here, you told him to look at their stats, which EXACT stats were you referring to?

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Who gives a **** whether Wade is likable or not? That misses the point entirely. Wade is one of the 3-4 greatest SGs of all time and that season was one of his best ever, not to mention one of the greatest postseason performances of all time. And by focusing on Wade, you completely miss the fact that Shaq was still a very good basketball player that season. The dude averaged 20/9/2/2 with a 24.4 PER and a .164 WS/48. That's probably one of the best statistical statlines of a No. 2 on any champion in league history.

Was the rest of the team pretty bad? Sure, but their role players weren't worse than most team's role players. Walker was a decent, albeit inefficient No. 3, while Williams, Haslem, Posey and Payton all played their roles well. That is clearly a superior basketball team on paper to the 03 Spurs or 94 Rockets, who had nothing remotely close to a past-his-prime Shaquille O'Neal as a No. 2 and a similarly talented group of role players.

Ok, forget him not being likable. I don't feel the need to start the Wade and ref debate again, I'm sure you can see why I don't value that particular championship though.

NYKnickFanatic
01-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Don't get so defensive. It's their opinions.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm seriously just asking here, you told him to look at their stats, which EXACT stats were you referring to?

Opposition scoring numbers, DRT, STL%. Lindsey Hunter in particular, for a bench player to be near-leading in those categories on one of the best defensive teams in the history of the league (not my opinion) should speak volumes. We wiped the floor with LAL, they didn't even stand a chance and would have been swept had it not been for an incredible buzzer beater by Kobe. Our bench played a big role, and we had a stacked starting 5. I fail to see how the 2004 pistons are relevant in this topic. My main point. Perhaps I was too quick to jump down the original commenters throat, but I thought it was an arrogant response.

FlashBolt
01-15-2014, 05:43 PM
And no one mentions LAL beating Sixers.. If you watched NBA in 2006, that was a TOUGH series for Miami. They were down 0-2 and by 10+ points heading to the fourth quarter. Also, Miami would've been four time champs had Rasheed not intentionally injure Wade when Miami were up 3-2.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 06:00 PM
lol

TheMightyHumph
01-15-2014, 06:03 PM
And no one mentions LAL beating Sixers.. If you watched NBA in 2006, that was a TOUGH series for Miami. They were down 0-2 and by 10+ points heading to the fourth quarter. Also, Miami would've been four time champs had Rasheed not intentionally injure Wade when Miami were up 3-2.

Really don't see the point you are trying to make.

DreamShaker
01-15-2014, 06:14 PM

Butthurt, Check...

Open shut case.

Not even being sarcastic, but you didn't even mention Darko. The number 2 pick in a top heavy draft wasn't even needed. Stacked team.

DreamShaker
01-15-2014, 06:29 PM
This. That Spurs team was not the squad we've known from the past 6-8 years. Ginobili was a rookie, Parker was in his second season, and neither guy was anything close to the players they would later become. You could make a strong case that a 37-year-old David Robinson was the second best player on that team.

As a Rockets fan, though, I'd also like to put up the 94 Rockets for consideration. Otis Thorpe was the only player remotely close to a No. 2 on that team, Maxwell was an atrocious offensive player and Sam Cassell was only a rookie. Hakeem carried that team on his freaking back.

I'm with you and Chronz on the Spurs.

I do have to defend Maxwell. He was by no means horrible at offense, he was just streaky. If he got hot, he could put up some numbers. He might not have been efficient, but he hit some huge shots for that team. Carl Herrera was horrible at offense. Max was average to above average. He even dropped 50 once. Horry, Ellie, Kenny Smith, and Max were all great role players. Sam really broke out in that series. That being said, it was a weak team in terms of star power. Up there with the 11 Mavs with one guy who was elite, Thorpe was a borderline All-Star, and the rest were total role players.

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm with you and Chronz on the Spurs.

I do have to defend Maxwell. He was by no means horrible at offense, he was just streaky. If he got hot, he could put up some numbers. He might not have been efficient, but he hit some huge shots for that team. Carl Herrera was horrible at offense. Max was average to above average. He even dropped 50 once. Horry, Ellie, Kenny Smith, and Max were all great role players. Sam really broke out in that series. That being said, it was a weak team in terms of star power. Up there with the 11 Mavs with one guy who was elite, Thorpe was a borderline All-Star, and the rest were total role players.

Granted I was very, very young when I watched that team, so I can't use the eye test when talking about Maxwell. But his numbers stand out as especially horrible. A 48% TS% for any player after the 60s is just inexcusable. And the guy took 5.4 threes a game despite averaging less than 30% beyond the arc. His numbers in the playoffs were even worse.

I have no doubt the guy could occasionally bust out for a big game, but that doesn't make him a good offensive player. Josh Smith and Rudy Gay can be dominating offensive players on occasion, for example, but I wouldn't trust them in my offense because of their atrocious shot selection and lack of a shooting conscience. I'm guessing Maxwell was similar. His value definitely seemed to be on the defensive side of the ball.

SanPitte
01-15-2014, 06:53 PM
To everyone saying the '11 Mavs didn't have a good team:
Dirk, Jet, S.Marion, J.Kidd, JJ Barea, Chandler, C.Butler (injured for the playoffs), + the shooting of Stojakovic and the defense of Stevenson and Haywood
Yes Dirk was great during the playoffs, but he had a good cast around him that put him in a position to shine

SanPitte
01-15-2014, 07:12 PM
IMO if you want the least stacked team to win a title in the past 20 years, you have to mention the '01 Lakers that had the 2 best players of the season and 13 borderline d-league players around them...
Shaq and Kobe were so great and dominant that they went on one of the best playoff run of all time
honorable mention to the 94 Rockets and 03 Spurs

DreamShaker
01-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Granted I was very, very young when I watched that team, so I can't use the eye test when talking about Maxwell. But his numbers stand out as especially horrible. A 48% TS% for any player after the 60s is just inexcusable. And the guy took 5.4 threes a game despite averaging less than 30% beyond the arc. His numbers in the playoffs were even worse.

I have no doubt the guy could occasionally bust out for a big game, but that doesn't make him a good offensive player. Josh Smith and Rudy Gay can be dominating offensive players on occasion, for example, but I wouldn't trust them in my offense because of their atrocious shot selection and lack of a shooting conscience. I'm guessing Maxwell was similar. His value definitely seemed to be on the defensive side of the ball.

I turned 11 in 94, but that team is so vivid in my mind for some reason. Probably because me, my dad, and my older brother watched every game together, and attended games when we could (we lived in Sweeny, over an hour south of the Summit). He was ideally a Nate-Robinson type heat check guy off the bench. He would go through slumps, then be red hot. A better version of Garcia with solid D. He actually checked MJ pretty well. The benifit, though, was the guard depth. Ellie was so good. One of the better bench guards in the NBA at the time, IMO. You had Smith and Cassell who could play at the same time as well. Scott Brooks could also shoot the 3 pretty well and was scrappy. So the depth made up for Max's bad games/stretches.

SPURSFAN1
01-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Those spurs teams were lead by 2XMVP Tim Duncan(2002,2003). His supporting cast weren't the best, but he alone dominated during his peak years. He won 2003, 2005, and 2007. That 2003 team would beat many other championship teams.

MonroeFAN
01-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Has someone said the Spurs? If so, that's stupid.

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Those spurs teams were lead by 2XMVP Tim Duncan(2002,2003). His supporting cast weren't the best, but he alone dominated during his peak years. He won 2003, 2005, and 2007. That 2003 team would beat many other championship teams.
But you're missing the point. It's not "worst overall No. 1 on a championship team." It's "worst overall championship team." If anything, the fact that Duncan was able to carry that 2003 team to a title is a testament to how amazing he was. He and Hakeem in 94 are possibly the only two superstars in history to win a title without a legitimate No. 2 on the roster.

Has someone said the Spurs? If so, that's stupid.
You should read more and judge less. That 2003 team was mediocre as hell. Robinson was an absolute shell of himself, Parker was 20 years old, Manu was a rookie and so much of their supporting cast was old as dirt. Parker was the second leading scorer on the team and he was still two seasons away from hitting his prime.

SPURSFAN1
01-15-2014, 08:20 PM
But you're missing the point. It's not "worst overall No. 1 on a championship team." It's "worst overall championship team." If anything, the fact that Duncan was able to carry that 2003 team to a title is a testament to how amazing he was. He and Hakeem in 94 are possibly the only two superstars in history to win a title without a legitimate No. 2 on the roster.

You should read more and judge less. That 2003 team was mediocre as hell. Robinson was an absolute shell of himself, Parker was 20 years old, Manu was a rookie and so much of their supporting cast was old as dirt. Parker was the second leading scorer on the team and he was still two seasons away from hitting his prime.

I think we have different perspectives on what "worst championship team in past 20 years" means. I think it means how good was the entire team as a whole compared to the other 19 championship teams. Are there any championship teams that would lose to that 2003 team? I believe so. I'm pitting the teams against each other. I'm not talking about the supporting cast. Will Tim Duncan's greatness overcome better supporting cast from other teams and would still win? Duncan, parker, manu, robinson, jackson, bowen, malik, kerr, and other players. That roster was mixed with young players and vets and held by Tim duncan.

bucketss
01-15-2014, 08:22 PM
09 10 lakers sucked and got lucky to face an injured squad in orlando(nelson just returning) and the senior citizens celtics, who lost perkins in game 6/

or maybe they weren't very good but kobes greatness was the main reason as he single handily won them two in a row. Lol

Tony_Starks
01-15-2014, 08:45 PM
To everyone saying the '11 Mavs didn't have a good team:
Dirk, Jet, S.Marion, J.Kidd, JJ Barea, Chandler, C.Butler (injured for the playoffs), + the shooting of Stojakovic and the defense of Stevenson and Haywood
Yes Dirk was great during the playoffs, but he had a good cast around him that put him in a position to shine

I tend to think Carlisles coaching had more to do with it than the role players. His use of the zone was pretty masterful during that playoff run....

mdm692
01-15-2014, 08:56 PM

You do realize that both Hunter and James were known for their above excellent defense. Anybody with common sense knows that a top 5 defensive team of all time who won a championship is faaaaaaaaar from the worst champion ever. The only way I can see anybody saying that they're the worst is if they never saw them play or their butt hurt.

amos1er
01-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Just curious, do you count the Minny titles as well?

Yes, as long as the Celtics count their titles in the 50's. Although we could go by the last 30 years if that makes you happy.

amos1er
01-15-2014, 09:21 PM
IMO if you want the least stacked team to win a title in the past 20 years, you have to mention the '01 Lakers that had the 2 best players of the season and 13 borderline d-league players around them...
Shaq and Kobe were so great and dominant that they went on one of the best playoff run of all time
honorable mention to the 94 Rockets and 03 Spurs

Also have to give credit to Phil Jackson for constructing that fine oiled machine.

amos1er
01-15-2014, 09:22 PM
09 10 lakers sucked and got lucky to face an injured squad in orlando(nelson just returning) and the senior citizens celtics, who lost perkins in game 6/

or maybe they weren't very good but kobes greatness was the main reason as he single handily won them two in a row. Lol

Wow... Thats quite an admission. Nice.

amos1er
01-15-2014, 09:24 PM

Spurs management has always done a great job of putting pieces around Duncan and Pop. Even though they aren't the most talented cast in the NBA, they are the best coached and most well put together.

Sactown
01-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Meh Pau Gasol had every bit as much impact as Kobe in those runs...

When your front court mate is averaging 20-10 on great efficiency is a great passer and averaging over 2 blocks a game protecting the rim I'd hardly say Kobe put that team "on his back"

bucketss
01-15-2014, 10:08 PM

:facepalm:

Pakman
01-15-2014, 11:31 PM

:facepalm:lmfao

flclfanman
01-15-2014, 11:40 PM
2006 Heat.

Getting Swept round 1 next year is just embarrassing. Ithink every other champ outside of Dallas got past the first round the year after winning it all.

Dade County
01-16-2014, 12:11 AM

No one choked... The con-artist was following orders, like he does on a nightly basses, just take the time to actually watch him.

To answer the OP question, I say the 09 Lakers (Gasol gave the finals MVP to Kobe, that's why Kobe loves him soooo much) or Dallas.

TheMightyHumph
01-16-2014, 12:14 AM
I really like some of the responses in this thread.

They provide great insight into the posters.

Pakman
01-16-2014, 01:04 AM

No one choked... The con-artist was following orders, like he does on a nightly basses, just take the time to actually watch him.

To answer the OP question, I say the 09 Lakers (Gasol gave the finals MVP to Kobe, that's why Kobe loves him soooo much) or Dallas.I see what u did there. In that case definitely the 06 Heat.

Chronz
01-16-2014, 01:37 AM
Yes, as long as the Celtics count their titles in the 50's. Although we could go by the last 30 years if that makes you happy.

I dont see the connection seeing how the Celtics have remained in Boston. What do you mean make me happy? Why would I give a **** either way?

Chronz
01-16-2014, 01:50 AM

Thats pretty weird how pedestrian his production was as the 2nd best player on a contending team. Horry was huge that run (as he has been in several others) as well but you're right about them being pretty weak in terms of a co star. An old Robinson might be the superior co, but I want to say some of that is due to playing in a weak era as well.

amos1er
01-16-2014, 06:33 AM
I dont see the connection seeing how the Celtics have remained in Boston. What do you mean make me happy? Why would I give a **** either way?

Thought you were referring to the inferior competition of the 50's. Either way, I'd still have to say they count without a doubt. Same franchise... just a different location.

MonroeFAN
01-16-2014, 06:54 AM

You're supporting a team who's "legit" #1 option were the referees for crying out loud. You ignored my response, and now here you are walking around like you're the don of the mafia. Btw, judging from about 70% of the responses in this topic, the basketball world agrees with me about the Heat.

Talent =/ team. A championship team is about chemistry, fundamentals, and well, winning. But prime Duncan certainly wasn't a slouch. I can appreciate that maybe they were a bit boring for casual fans. But unless I missed where the OP said "based on individual talent alone", then I can't possibly see how you could rank any Spurs team with Pop and Duncan as the worst in anything.

Chronz
01-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Thought you were referring to the inferior competition of the 50's. Either way, I'd still have to say they count without a doubt. Same franchise... just a different location.
You're powers of deduction have failed you old foe. Key word in that post was MINNY.

Dont agree with your point about talent considering they all played each other but thats another argument.

Chronz
01-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Miami playing the sub .500 Bucks and a Bulls team without Rose or Deng- with Noah on one foot wasn't a cake walk?

Denver was top 8 in SRS and Orlando had the leagues top ranked defense. obviously it should have been LA/Boston three years in a row but KG got injured.

Compare the runs, who faced better comp at the top?

SanPitte
01-16-2014, 01:17 PM
let's put it this way, whichever team you chose (94 rockets, 03 spurs, 06 heat...), it wasn't "the worst", it was the least great

Chronz
01-17-2014, 01:54 PM
let's put it this way, whichever team you chose (94 rockets, 03 spurs, 06 heat...), it wasn't "the worst", it was the least great

Some team has to be the worst among those great teams.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2014, 03:39 PM

Shaq/Kobe alone take them well out of that convo though man. The Heat in 06' got hot at the right time, and the Mavs literally fell apart.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-17-2014, 03:42 PM
2006 Heat was pretty bad in terms of how everyone else played except for Wade on the team in the Finals.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Meh Pau Gasol had every bit as much impact as Kobe in those runs...

When your front court mate is averaging 20-10 on great efficiency is a great passer and averaging over 2 blocks a game protecting the rim I'd hardly say Kobe put that team "on his back"

hardcore Kobe fans refuse to admit how much talent he actually played with in his 2 post Shaq chips.

Big Zo
01-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Call me a homer, but I'd take the '06 Heat over the 90's Rockets. Shaq and Wade vs. Hakeem and... Robert Horry?

numba1CHANGsta
01-17-2014, 03:54 PM
The worst is easily the 99' Spurs, they only played half a season

You guys keep talking about teams with sucky players on their rosters who won championships, wouldn't that consider them better than a team that's stacked with talent?

flea
01-17-2014, 04:37 PM

You guys keep talking about teams with sucky players on their rosters who won championships, wouldn't that consider them better than a team that's stacked with talent?

With two of the ten or so greatest big men of all time, one at the end of his prime and the other just entering the league with an already polished game? I don't think so.

Ebbs
01-17-2014, 04:45 PM
I called Miami 06 with 100% confidence in the pre season and I'm a Mavs fan.

They were 100% the contender.

emerging star in Wade, aging all time great in Shaq.

Hungry team of vets who hadn't won. Walker, Zo, Payton, J-Will

Add in Eddie Jones, Haslem as role players.

SPURSFAN1
01-17-2014, 06:45 PM
With two of the ten or so greatest big men of all time, one at the end of his prime and the other just entering the league with an already polished game? I don't think so.

Exactly. This 2013 heat team wouldn't beat a legit 2 big man team. A top 15 and top 5 player in one team. Is Lebron or small twigs going to stop david or tim? I think not. Also they had great defense. lost twice in the playoffs and swept kobe and shaq.

TheMightyHumph
01-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Call me a homer, but I'd take the '06 Heat over the 90's Rockets. Shaq and Wade vs. Hakeem and... Robert Horry?

Well, the '94 Rockets. '95 Rockets had Drexler and a much improved and confident Cassell.

TheMightyHumph
01-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Shaq/Kobe alone take them well out of that convo though man. The Heat in 06' got hot at the right time, and the Mavs literally fell apart.

Refs won the '06 Finals for Heat. Stern's revenge.

Suddenly, Wade couldn't be touched (and many times wasn't) while Haslem was allowed to beat the living crap out of Dirk.

SPURSFAN1
01-17-2014, 07:11 PM

Suddenly, Wade couldn't be touched (and many times wasn't) while Haslem was allowed to beat the living crap out of Dirk.

Just like game 6 spurs thunder 2012.

kdspurman
01-17-2014, 07:13 PM

That was one of the best defensive teams in NBA history.

TheMightyHumph
01-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Just like game 6 spurs thunder 2012.

Absolutely. That was a HORRIBLY reffed game.

2012 Finals was nearly as horribly reffed.

The NBA went out of their way for a Durant-Lebron Finals, then kept Durant from being a factor with some really bogus calls.

SPURSFAN1
01-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Absolutely. That was a HORRIBLY reffed game.

2012 Finals was nearly as horribly reffed.

The NBA went out of their way for a Durant-Lebron Finals, then kept Durant from being a factor with some really bogus calls.

I didn't watch the 2012 finals. Everything was bogus.

waveycrockett
01-17-2014, 08:32 PM
The Pistons were the best defensive team of this generation. They were definitely not the worst. Probably '99 Spurs or 11 Mavs.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2014, 08:47 PM

every team played under the same rules/games. So no, the shortened season doesn't matter.

Hawkeye15
01-17-2014, 08:49 PM

be a ref. When the entire Dallas team/ownership is screaming at you for every call you make, you take things personally. Not supposed to happen, but if Mark would have gotten in the ****ing owners box like he should have, perhaps his team wouldn't have come unhinged with his leadership.

I have never seen a team fall apart like the Mavs did. They are to blame, not the refs giving Wade calls.

TheMightyHumph
01-17-2014, 09:22 PM
be a ref. When the entire Dallas team/ownership is screaming at you for every call you make, you take things personally. Not supposed to happen, but if Mark would have gotten in the ****ing owners box like he should have, perhaps his team wouldn't have come unhinged with his leadership.

I have never seen a team fall apart like the Mavs did. They are to blame, not the refs giving Wade calls.

I guess we all see things through different eyes.

But are you stating that what I said about the refs treatments of Wade and Dirk are incorrect?

KnicksorBust
01-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Has to be a 1 man team. Tempting to go Spurs or Mavs but I say '94 Rockets.

mightybosstone
01-19-2014, 02:48 PM
You're supporting a team who's "legit" #1 option were the referees for crying out loud.
This is idiotic. People who give the referees credit for any victory or less immediately lose any and all credibility. The refs called the fouls, but the players draw the contact and commit the fouls. If you don't like it, watch another sport.

You ignored my response, and now here you are walking around like you're the don of the mafia.
First off, I don't have the time to sit in the same thread all day long and respond to every single post of every poster. And I hardly think I'm some kind of omnipotent being when it comes to basketball knowledge, but that doesn't mean I'm going to walk away from an argument. I state what I think is correct, I argue those points and I disagree with the people who think differently.

Btw, judging from about 70% of the responses in this topic, the basketball world agrees with me about the Heat.
lol. Are you really going to base the opinion of the "basketball world" on what the average PSD poster has to say about the history of the league? The average PSD poster is probably 16-20 years old, can't tell the difference between there, their and they're and has no freaking clue what PER actually stands for. I'd hardly use a small sample of PSD posters to make any kind of determination on anything.

Talent =/ team. A championship team is about chemistry, fundamentals, and well, winning. But prime Duncan certainly wasn't a slouch. I can appreciate that maybe they were a bit boring for casual fans. But unless I missed where the OP said "based on individual talent alone", then I can't possibly see how you could rank any Spurs team with Pop and Duncan as the worst in anything.
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. But I think you're overlooking one blatant, super obvious fact about the NBA: superstars and talent win championships. Look at the history of the NBA and which team is more likely to win: the most talented team or the most fundamentally sound team? Hell, just look at last year's finals. The Spurs were a well-oiled machine, but the more-talented Heat team was still victorious. Are their exceptions? Sure. The 2004 Pistons are the obvious example, while the 2011 Mavs are certainly worth discussing. But in the end, talent trumps fundamentals more often than not, and the Heat were clearly a more talented roster than the 2003 Spurs and 1994 Rockets.

IndiansFan337
01-19-2014, 05:00 PM
2004 Detroit Pistons :

This team was my immediate response to this question.

fnoel
01-19-2014, 06:04 PM
All 6 of the Bulls championship teams. Take your pick. Does not matter. Oh wait. The first three were over 20 years ago so they don't count.

Bruno
01-19-2014, 06:51 PM
hardcore Kobe fans refuse to admit how much talent he actually played with in his 2 post Shaq chips.

2009 wasn't all that deep. Bynum missed games in the post-season and averaged 17 minutes per game in the post season; it wasn't a 'big four' situation at all in 2009. Odom was a respectable but far from dominant third man putting up 12/9 on a post-season PER of 18.0. there wasn't another notable player statistically in the 2009 post-season, except for the surprise three point shooting from Ariza (47%) and S. Brown (48%). the team had good chemistry, played hard D and started hitting the long ball at the right time.

Kobes 33/6/6 on a TS% of .577 and and Gasols 18/11 with a TS% of .61 through the championship rounds was at the heart of the Lakers success.

beliges
01-19-2014, 08:51 PM

I would hardly call that team stacked. Lamar's not in the league anymore and bynum can't even get playing time. lol. Those titles were kobe and gasol with a solid supporting cast and a great coach.

Deception
01-20-2014, 01:05 AM
This team was my immediate response to this question.

Care to explain?

JordansBulls
01-20-2014, 10:52 AM
2004 Pistons. They were down 3-2 in the series to the Nets in round 2 and nearly lost game 6 as well.

Pierre The Poet
01-22-2014, 03:48 AM

Because when you have Shaq and Kobe it doesn't matter who else is in the lineup

Pierre The Poet
01-22-2014, 03:50 AM
I'm not sure if this thread can really even make any sense...I see the 2011 Mavericks in here a lot, but man, Dirk Nowitzki was the most unstoppable offensive player I'd ever seen in that postseason...he went back to normal after that lol, but when he won the ring he was ridiculous