PDA

View Full Version : How concerning is Julius Randle's lack of wingspan?

Chronz
01-14-2014, 02:55 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/1/2/5258332/julius-randle-nba-draft-prospect-2013

Randle is built like a Tyrannosaurus Rex: all torso and no arms. He has a 6'11 wingspan, per Draft Express, which is enormous in most contexts, but not the super-sized world of the NBA paint. When matched up against the best power forwards in the world, he's going to have a significant length disadvantage, a problem that could impact his game on both sides of the ball.

--------------------------------------------

It's hard to build around a player with Randle's skill-set. He is a post-scoring big man who can't protect the rim. If you play him with a big man who can't stretch the floor, there won't be much room in the paint for him to operate. If you play him with another big man who can't protect the rim, your defense will be limited. There aren't many NBA centers who can shoot, block shots and play hi-low to preserve proper spacing. Randolph didn't find much team success until he started playing with Marc Gasol, one of those rare birds. The same dynamic has blunted the impact Al Jefferson and DeMarcus Cousins make on their teams despite gaudy offensive numbers.

------------------------------------------------------

In the right situation, playing next to one of those rare floor-spacing and rim-protecting big man like Serge Ibaka or Anthony Davis, Randle could be a really good player on a championship-caliber team. In the wrong one, though, drafting Randle could end up setting a team back significantly. In the NBA, the shorter your arms, the harder it is to reach your ceiling.

Read the article, post your thoughts on whether you think your team could build around or with this prospect.

JEDean89
01-14-2014, 03:37 PM
i don't know what the **** this guy is talking about. he's 6' 9" and has a 6' 11" wingspan therefore is built like a T-Rex? I've heard the same comparison used for Blake Griffin and it hasn't really slowed him down. these writers just recycle ******** they've heard. is it an elite wingspan? no, and he definitely would be a better player with a 7' + length but the guy is still a freak matchup. his athleticism is through the roof, his handle looks like it can become elite and his scoring and rebounding instincts make him guaranteed to go top 6. people need to get over what an inch of height means, what a slight lack of vertical leap means, what being too slow, or not having the ideal body type for your position means. these guys are basketball players, dirk can't jump, wade can barely shoot except from a few chosen spots, in the end, if he is dominating CBB like this at 18, and has all the other traits in the world, he's gonna be a stud in the nba.

Wade n Fade
01-14-2014, 03:40 PM
If you can help turn Randle into a stretch 4, he could be good at shooting and then also pound it inside with bigs. Rim protecting is more of the 5's role or a Bosh role in Miami. A few years in college can change Randle from a rawer prospect into something efficient. Will he stay? Doubt it. Lexington is college town around the campus. Not a huge location to enjoy in the offseason.

NoahH
01-14-2014, 05:13 PM
i don't know what the **** this guy is talking about. he's 6' 9" and has a 6' 11" wingspan therefore is built like a T-Rex? I've heard the same comparison used for Blake Griffin and it hasn't really slowed him down. these writers just recycle ******** they've heard. is it an elite wingspan? no, and he definitely would be a better player with a 7' + length but the guy is still a freak matchup. his athleticism is through the roof, his handle looks like it can become elite and his scoring and rebounding instincts make him guaranteed to go top 6. people need to get over what an inch of height means, what a slight lack of vertical leap means, what being too slow, or not having the ideal body type for your position means. these guys are basketball players, dirk can't jump, wade can barely shoot except from a few chosen spots, in the end, if he is dominating CBB like this at 18, and has all the other traits in the world, he's gonna be a stud in the nba.
True, however Blake Griffin couldn't block a shot if his life depended on it. However, he makes up for his deficiencies in other ways. I agree with you mostly.

Randle might not have a great wingspan, but he'll be a good player. Every NBA player has SOME deficiencies. I agree the particular article is nitpicking and regurgitating information that has already been said.

ManRam
01-14-2014, 05:31 PM
I read this a few days ago. We briefly talked about it in the Magic forum.

I personally want nothing to do with him, regardless of how well he looks right now. But that's always been my stance. A lot of it has to do with fit. Even before his length concerns I was terrified of his defense...and pairing him up with Vucci would create a complete sieve. If we're taking a big man he has to play defense, particularly at the rim, much better than Randle can or ever will.

He's also not terribly athletic, so using him as a means to defend Randle might be a little iffy. And Blake has deficiencies, and many of those do probably come from his size :shrug:

So yeah, I think he's someone that you have to take fit into concern. Philly has Noel who figures to be a solid defender for a long time; I think he'd pair well with Randle.

To the more direct point: length and size does matter. To the guy saying "get over what an inch means", well, we're not talking about in inch here. We're talking a lot of inches. And that length means a lot defensively. SJust check the wingspans on the league's best big man defenders: Gasol, Ibaka, Noah, Sanders, Duncan, Ribbert, and so on.

Chronz
01-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Is randle anywhere close to blake athletically? If not, I dont see the point in the comparison, blake also has great vision

SMH!
01-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Reminds me of a bit more athletic z bo

shep33
01-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Is randle anywhere close to blake athletically? If not, I dont see the point in the comparison, blake also has great vision

There are vids of him throwing down insane dunks. Behind the back, between the legs, etc. With ease too. Not saying he's Blake, but he's insanely athletic for someone his size.

He's averaging like 17 and 11 as a freshman. Again... not saying he's Blake but even Blake didn't put up those numbers in his first year at OU

ricky recon
01-14-2014, 09:35 PM
This is a terrible article and a 6'9" power forward prospect with a 6'11" wingspan who is only 19 years old, and could still grow is not a t-rex frame.

I think Kevin Love does pretty well with a 6'11" wingspan.

Like I said, terrible article, Julius Randle is a tremendous basketball player, and could very well end up being the best player in this stacked draft class.

NBA_Starter
01-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Terrible article, any team would love to have him.

5ass
01-14-2014, 09:58 PM

I personally want nothing to do with him, regardless of how well he looks right now. But that's always been my stance. A lot of it has to do with fit. Even before his length concerns I was terrified of his defense...and pairing him up with Vucci would create a complete sieve. If we're taking a big man he has to play defense, particularly at the rim, much better than Randle can or ever will.

He's also not terribly athletic, so using him as a means to defend Randle might be a little iffy. And Blake has deficiencies, and many of those do probably come from his size :shrug:

So yeah, I think he's someone that you have to take fit into concern. Philly has Noel who figures to be a solid defender for a long time; I think he'd pair well with Randle.

To the more direct point: length and size does matter. To the guy saying "get over what an inch means", well, we're not talking about in inch here. We're talking a lot of inches. And that length means a lot defensively. SJust check the wingspans on the league's best big man defenders: Gasol, Ibaka, Noah, Sanders, Duncan, Ribbert, and so on.

I agree, I just want to pair Vuc up with a shot-blocker.

ricky recon
01-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Three things:

1. Joakim Noah is in the 20th percentile for wingspan dif%, he's 7'0" with a 7'1" wingspan. He also plays a different, traditionally bigger position.

2. Everything on tape shows Julius Randle as an exceptional athlete. DraftExpress - "absolutely lethal in transition" and "outstanding athlete". espninsider- "super athletic power forward"

3. I can't fathom a "want absolutely nothing to do with him" stance. To each their own I suppose, but it really seems unwarranted for a player of Randle's caliber.

KingstonHawke
01-14-2014, 10:06 PM
I love Randle for most situations. Ideally I'd like to see the 76ers trade for Monroe, and then draft Randle. MCW, Randle, and Monroe would be enough to make Phily worth watching again.

shep33
01-14-2014, 10:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt8pMZ7Gg-M

For people questioning his athleticism

tredigs
01-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Less concerning than Andrew Wiggins lack of game. Talk about over hyped.

He's like a less motivated Paul George.

RipCity32
01-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Less concerning than Andrew Wiggins lack of game. Talk about over hyped.

He's like a less motivated Paul George.

Wiggins was way overhyped. I thought this kid was gonna avg like 30 ppg the way people talked about him.

IndyRealist
01-14-2014, 10:36 PM
For rim protection standing reach is more important than wingspan, and neither keeps someone from being an above average defender even if he's not a shot blocker. If he places a focus on rebounding (which is about positioning and balance), I'd take post game + freak athlete over pterodactyl wingspan.

flea
01-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Wiggins has been pretty good, he's just not a jump shooter and Kansas plays real basketball - not a bunch of ISO sets. He's certainly been overshadowed, but everyone knew it was his upside and athleticism - not current skillset - that makes him intriguing. Take, for instance, his 19 rebound game the other night.

Chronz
01-15-2014, 02:12 AM
Boozer has played pretty ****** this year, unless you're thinking a new environment will revive him, hes in no position to help a team.

PurpleLynch
01-15-2014, 08:53 AM
T-Rex frame? Are you kiddin' me? I think Love and Blake are good examples of how much this writer is full of ish.
Now,it's not an insane wingspan,but still he has a very good frame.And he's still young,maybe his body will also grow.

PurpleLynch
01-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Also Thad Young has a similar wingspan and he handles his spot well.

Heediot
01-15-2014, 10:17 AM
It depends on who you pair him with in the league. He still has potential as a stretch 4 to combine that with his play down low. A lot of players no matter what position have iffy jumpers at this stage in their development. His defense sucks now, but there is potential there as he is mobile and has good feet. He won't be a rim protector but that doesn't mean he can't do other things on d.

Killerjug
01-15-2014, 10:30 AM
Reminds me of a bit more athletic z bo

so much this. i think he needs to put on some weight and muscle and turn into a z bo esque player

North Yorker
01-15-2014, 11:15 AM
The biggest concern about Randle is his defense. He is gonna get eaten up by NBA bigs. I personally wouldn't touch him in the top 4 picks of this draft.

2 way players are more valuable.

sixer04fan
01-15-2014, 11:20 AM
How is having a wing span longer than your body height equivalent to having t-rex arms?

Any team is gonna be lucky to have this kid. He's a beast.

CKinKC
01-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Wiggins plays defense!! I love how basketball fans these says just disregard defense, and think its all about dunking and the Blake Griffons of the world. And yes KU plays as a team, every year, so while there is many one and dones in Kentucky, there's a reason that they can't even win an NIT game last year. Since we are talking about overrated, lets talk about that "best class of all time" they were supposedly bringing in this year...

kingkenny01
01-15-2014, 12:13 PM
im not concerned about his wingspan, the more concerning this is that he cant go right and his is a ball hog that thinks he needs to do everything

The Guru24
01-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Three things:

1. Joakim Noah is in the 20th percentile for wingspan dif%, he's 7'0" with a 7'1" wingspan. He also plays a different, traditionally bigger position.

2. Everything on tape shows Julius Randle as an exceptional athlete. DraftExpress - "absolutely lethal in transition" and "outstanding athlete". espninsider- "super athletic power forward"

3. I can't fathom a "want absolutely nothing to do with him" stance. To each their own I suppose, but it really seems unwarranted for a player of Randle's caliber.

Noah is 7'0", meaning he's a full 3 inches taller than Randle. Randle is nowhere near the type of athlete Blake Griffin is, which is why despite Blake having the same dimensions, he can compensate because of his freak athleticism

Hawkeye15
01-25-2014, 10:14 PM

not at all. I have watched him 5 times so far this year, and the biggest thing that stands out to me is his struggles against length and athleticism. He also has 5 steals in something like 525 minutes played or something like that. Unless he really becomes a much better outside threat, he is not a franchise changing player at all.

The Guru24
01-25-2014, 10:14 PM
How is having a wing span longer than your body height equivalent to having t-rex arms?

Any team is gonna be lucky to have this kid. He's a beast.

You don't understand how the NBA game work. Most power forwards have wingspans that far exceed their actual height. Anthony Davis for example is 6'10" but he has a 7'5.5' wingspan. Julius has t-rex arms for a prototype PF

The Guru24
01-25-2014, 10:15 PM
not at all. I have watched him 5 times so far this year, and the biggest thing that stands out to me is his struggles against length and athleticism. He also has 5 steals in something like 525 minutes played or something like that. Unless he really becomes a much better outside threat, he is not a franchise changing player at all.

Agreed 100%

The Guru24
01-25-2014, 10:16 PM
T-Rex frame? Are you kiddin' me? I think Love and Blake are good examples of how much this writer is full of ish.
Now,it's not an insane wingspan,but still he has a very good frame.And he's still young,maybe his body will also grow.

Blake is a freak athlete. Randle isn't. Love plays a skill game that is not dependent on bullying everybody in the lane and trying to score over length. Bad comparisons on both parts.

The Guru24
01-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Also Thad Young has a similar wingspan and he handles his spot well.

Young plays more like a 3 than he does a 4 that's why it doesn't effect him the way it will Randle

Hawkeye15
01-25-2014, 10:17 PM
This is a terrible article and a 6'9" power forward prospect with a 6'11" wingspan who is only 19 years old, and could still grow is not a t-rex frame.

Like I said, terrible article, Julius Randle is a tremendous basketball player, and could very well end up being the best player in this stacked draft class.

Love was a more intelligent player who developed a stretch game, and was exponentially a better rebounder at that age. I do think Randle is a little more "basketball'' athletic than Love, but he doesn't have the skill set.

Still, we shouldn't act like Randle doesn't have potential to at least be a pretty damn good starting PF in the NBA. I just don't see franchise player in him from what I have seen. That being said, judging someones entire NBA career halfway into their freshman year, when they have really never needed to work hard to dominate prior, is a bit harsh.

The Guru24
01-25-2014, 10:18 PM

His athleticism is not through the roof. Through the roof athleticism is Blake Griffin and Dwight Howard and Julius is nowhere close to that

The Guru24
01-25-2014, 10:20 PM

Kevin Love plays a completely different game than Julius does.

sunsfan88
01-26-2014, 05:28 AM
Julius Randle = Combo of Thomas Robinson/Derrick Williams/Anthony Bennett

Aka undersized PF.

Heediot
01-26-2014, 06:27 AM
Julius Randle = Combo of Thomas Robinson/Derrick Williams/Anthony Bennett

Aka undersized PF.

He is not undersized, maybe short wingspan (thread topic). He's only 19 and is 240-250 lbs.

PurpleLynch
01-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Blake is a freak athlete. Randle isn't. Love plays a skill game that is not dependent on bullying everybody in the lane and trying to score over length. Bad comparisons on both parts.

Dude,Randle is just 19.A bit too early to judge him. And I repeat it,he could still grow.He's not a freak like Blake and I also agree he hasn't Love's game,neither Young's one.But I take them in comparison just because they succeed without a huge wingspan. And until Randle comes to the Nba and plays a couple of years it's just too early to judge him negatively.

Ps.right now is better athletically than Love and has a jumpshot unlike Griffin. Still,he needs to polish a lot of aspects of his game.

PurpleLynch
01-26-2014, 06:50 AM
ALso,Parker is struggling right now,but I don't see media talkin about it.

Heediot
01-26-2014, 07:53 AM
ALso,Parker is struggling right now,but I don't see media talkin about it.

Looks a little out of shape to me after the Holiday season. Maybe he's been eating too much in late December and early January.

I think his shot selection is catching up to him as well, earlier in the year he was making some tough shots. Now that people have film on him maybe they know his tendencies better as well.

waveycrockett
01-26-2014, 10:00 AM
His wingspan is fine but his lack of explosive athleticism isn't. He has skills but unless he can become the kind of shooter that Aldridge and Love are he is going to really struggle against the big athletic PF's in the NBA

waveycrockett
01-26-2014, 10:03 AM
Kevin Love plays a completely different game than Julius does.

Kevin Love's 1st 2 years in the NBA he was a lunch pail PF he looked nothing like the PF he has become. Maybe Randle can do what Love has done but it is a long shot.

KnicksorBust
01-26-2014, 10:42 AM
To me, it's more about what you need and what you think of his character/work ethic to get better. If the comparisons to Zbo, Jefferson, Cousins are accurate about his offensive potential then he'll definitely be worth a top 5 pick despite his lack of wingspan.

The Guru24
01-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Dude,Randle is just 19.A bit too early to judge him. And I repeat it,he could still grow.He's not a freak like Blake and I also agree he hasn't Love's game,neither Young's one.But I take them in comparison just because they succeed without a huge wingspan. And until Randle comes to the Nba and plays a couple of years it's just too early to judge him negatively.

Ps.right now is better athletically than Love and has a jumpshot unlike Griffin. Still,he needs to polish a lot of aspects of his game.

This myth about his jumpshot is laughable to me. I can count the number of jumpshots he has made on one hand this season. Julius is done growing. He hasn't grown since probably his sophomore year in high school.

The Guru24
01-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Kevin Love's 1st 2 years in the NBA he was a lunch pail PF he looked nothing like the PF he has become. Maybe Randle can do what Love has done but it is a long shot.

Love's game was the same. He shot 3's at UCLA. He didn't shoot as many his first 2 years in the league because he was coming off the bench and wasn't playing as many minutes

The Guru24
01-27-2014, 08:08 AM
To me, it's more about what you need and what you think of his character/work ethic to get better. If the comparisons to Zbo, Jefferson, Cousins are accurate about his offensive potential then he'll definitely be worth a top 5 pick despite his lack of wingspan.

Again, you can't compare him to those guys because he doesn't have their physical profiles.
Al Jefferson is 6'10" with a 7'2.5" wingspan and a 9'2" standing reach
Zach Randolph is 6'9" same height as Randle but 7"4" wingspan standing reach n/a
Demarcus Cousins 6'11" 7'5.5" wingspan 9'5' standing reach

Julius Randle 6'9' 6'11" wingspan 8'9.5" standing reach big differences

PurpleLynch
01-27-2014, 09:27 AM
This myth about his jumpshot is laughable to me. I can count the number of jumpshots he has made on one hand this season. Julius is done growing. He hasn't grown since probably his sophomore year in high school.

Now,please,tell me how can you predict the future of Randle with this self-confidence. How can you predict that he stopped growing in his sophomore year.

waveycrockett
01-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Love's game was the same. He shot 3's at UCLA. He didn't shoot as many his first 2 years in the league because he was coming off the bench and wasn't playing as many minutes

Not even. He was a pudgy guy who grabbed alot of rebounds. His comparison was Moses Malone dude plays like Dirk now. He made a total of 37 3's his 2 seasons in the NBA and he averaged 27 minutes those 2 seasons which is basically starters minutes.

sixer04fan
01-27-2014, 02:05 PM
You don't understand how the NBA game work. Most power forwards have wingspans that far exceed their actual height. Anthony Davis for example is 6'10" but he has a 7'5.5' wingspan. Julius has t-rex arms for a prototype PF

How you derive from me disagreeing about Randle having t-rex arms to me not understanding how the NBA game works is mind blowing. Absolutely mind blowing.

sixer04fan
01-27-2014, 02:13 PM

Come up with that all on your own from watching him? Or did you just read this article which was posted the day before which you essentially took quotes from word for word?

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=10343917

Not saying you're wrong, but give credit where credit is due man.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Come up with that all on your own from watching him? Or did you just read this article which was posted the day before which you essentially took quotes from word for word?

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=10343917

Not saying you're wrong, but give credit where credit is due man.

I saw the steals details in there, yep (though I had heard it mentioned prior to that article twice, I just didn't know it was that bad). But his lack of explosiveness against size and length is obvious when watching him. He grew up just overpowering others. It's not working quite as well in college (he misses so many layups against length), and it won't work out well at all in the pro's. He needs to grow an outside game to some degree, or he risks being nowhere near a franchise guy in the NBA.

hotdalton18
01-27-2014, 04:09 PM
I think he'll be the best player in the next draft eventually

I'd love to see him next to Davis in NO

Hawkeye15
01-27-2014, 04:40 PM
I think he'll be the best player in the next draft eventually

I'd love to see him next to Davis in NO

yeah, that is going to be ideal for him. Having a rim protector next to him.

The Guru24
01-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Now,please,tell me how can you predict the future of Randle with this self-confidence. How can you predict that he stopped growing in his sophomore year.

Because I have been watching him since his sophomore year. It's not a prediction if it already happened or do you not know what a prediction is ?

The Guru24
01-27-2014, 08:21 PM
How you derive from me disagreeing about Randle having t-rex arms to me not understanding how the NBA game works is mind blowing. Absolutely mind blowing.

Because if you did understand you wouldn't have made that statement when in fact his wingspan is short for his position in the NBA. If he was a small forward, which he's not, it would be fine. I don't understand how you disagree with facts. Fact is he has short arms for an elite NBA power forward.

The Guru24
01-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Not even. He was a pudgy guy who grabbed alot of rebounds. His comparison was Moses Malone dude plays like Dirk now. He made a total of 37 3's his 2 seasons in the NBA and he averaged 27 minutes those 2 seasons which is basically starters minutes.

27 minutes are not starters minutes. What are you talking about man ? Those are reserve minutes. His rookie year he started 37 out of 81 games and his second year he started 22 out of 60 games. 27 minutes is barely half a game and you make the statement that starters in the NBA play half the game. When he became a full time starter his average went up to 35.3 minutes per game. Those are starters minutes. And he doesn't play like Dirk. Nobody plays like Dirk besides Dirk. And he did shoot 3's at UCLA, in fact he took 82 and was a 35% shooter from that range, so like I said his game really hasn't changed, he just lost some weight. The NBA three is longer than college, which means that a lot of those threes he took in college were 19-20 feet NBA jumpshots and he has expanded his range a little since then. Again, game hasn't changed.

PurpleLynch
01-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Because I have been watching him since his sophomore year. It's not a prediction if it already happened or do you not know what a prediction is ?

I didn't explain myself well,but I meant,how can you predict that he'll stop to grow since he's still 19?

The Guru24
01-29-2014, 12:07 AM
I didn't explain myself well,but I meant,how can you predict that he'll stop to grow since he's still 19?

Most of the time, when a kid hasn't grown in a while, and in his case at least 3 years, their not going to go on another growth spurt and contrary to popular belief most kids are done by 18, some still do after they graduate from high school and even into age 20 or 21, but those are rare. His body is already physically mature and again the needle hasn't moved in at least 3 years. He's more than likely done.

Hawkeye15
01-29-2014, 04:07 PM

Randle is already very mature physically. Doubt he grows any more.