PDA

View Full Version : Rockets finding it hard to trade Lin and Asik, likely to keep them

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 01:54 PM
“It is a tough sell to bring something like that to your owner,” one league executive said. “You have got to tell him, ‘We’re getting a pretty good player, an $8 million player. Oh, but we have to pay him $15 million. We will be giving him LeBron (James) money. That’s OK, right?’ That’s not really a conversation you want to have.”

- (source) (http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2014-01-14/houston-rockets-trade-rumors-omer-asik-jeremy-lin-daryl-morey-kevin-mchale-patrick-beverley?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

alexander_37
01-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Lin is playing well I'd like to keep him, Asik is more than an 8 million dollar player.

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Lin is playing well I'd like to keep him, Asik is more than an 8 million dollar player.

but does your coach want to keep him?

shep33
01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I don't even think it's hard to deal them. Morey is just asking for too much

BenFrank
01-14-2014, 02:19 PM
If Asik would just learn to except his role, the Rockets would be good as is..

YoungOne
01-14-2014, 02:22 PM
just trying to get more value..

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't even think it's hard to deal them. Morey is just asking for too much

they wouldn't be hard to deal if he were to add Jones w/ them. But I don't think he wants to. Simply put.

colinskik
01-14-2014, 02:33 PM
Yeah, if Morey wasn't so stubborn he'd easily be able to move them. There are plenty of teams who can use a legit C and a guard who gets to the rim unlike the majority of guards in the game.

xxplayerxx23
01-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Why should he put jones in. He can deal asik and Lin easy he just wants to much

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Why should he put jones in. He can deal asik and Lin easy he just wants to much

didn't you read the quote. The thinking in the league is you have to pay $30 MIL dollars. Not that many NBA execs are able or want to do that.

Stunner
01-14-2014, 03:45 PM
It's not hard to deal them , Rockets are just stingy .

Stunner
01-14-2014, 03:47 PM
No The Rockets are asking for 1st round picks along with wanting to teams take on salary , That's stupid.

lol, please
01-14-2014, 03:50 PM
:laugh2:

KnicksorBust
01-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Why do they want to trade Lin at all? He is playing well.

D-Leethal
01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
Its tough to trade them if your not willing to compensate one bit for the poison pill year and your expecting a return that you would expect if there was no poison pill in his contract at all.

ManRam
01-14-2014, 04:23 PM
I think it's safe to assume that it isn't much of a seller's market currently. Figure we're due for a quiet trade deadline.

farren.louis
01-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Makes sense why they cant. Lin isnt a 8mil a year player more like 3 and asik is getting paid 15mil at best he's an 8 mil a year play. Paul gasol and his expiring contract and sign better role players in the offseason

lol, please
01-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Why do they want to trade Lin at all? He is playing well.
I thought the thread was funny, this is even funnier. :laugh:

Stunner
01-14-2014, 04:38 PM
OMG stop bring up that poison pill that would have taken effect if the teams matched .

Stunner
01-14-2014, 04:39 PM
I thought the thread was funny, this is even funnier. :laugh:

? I mean he is

Goose17
01-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Houston don't appreciate Lin and after seeing the other guys yelling at him and giving him a hard time I think he should be moved, there's plenty of places that would appreciate him and use him properly.

Stunner
01-14-2014, 04:48 PM
Brooklyn , No , Cha and Minny could benefit from getting Asik and Lin IMO . Both deals come off after the 2014 season . It's just really Hou asking for an arm and leg . A lot of deals could get done , it's just Hou want more value than they will actually get back .

Stunner
01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Houston don't appreciate Lin and after seeing the other guys yelling at him and giving him a hard time I think he should be moved, there's plenty of places that would appreciate him and use him properly.

I wanted him in Mil before they got Knight and Mayo , would have been great place for him as a lead guard .

farren.louis
01-14-2014, 04:51 PM

Yes please take him. You say use him properly, Lin has to use himself properly you cant blame the team for his inconsistency. Lin is scared most of the time they only time he's actually aggressive is when the defense isn't set up but in the half court game he's a liability . Trust me if Lin was a s good as you guys preach teams would bite quick but they see what most of us see Lin is not 8mil worthy maybe 2 mil at best. Its easy too run down the court for a lay- up in the regular season but when the playoffs come around they shut that down , you have to earn everything.

Stunner
01-14-2014, 04:59 PM
It's not secret Lin and Harden weren't a fit stop fooling yourself , that's why he comes off the bench . In his limited mins his numbers aren't bad at all . Lin needs like a Klay Thompson type of player inn the backcourt with him .

farren.louis
01-14-2014, 05:09 PM
It's not secret Lin and Harden weren't a fit stop fooling yourself , that's why he comes off the bench . In his limited mins his numbers aren't bad at all . Lin needs like a Klay Thompson type of player inn the backcourt with him .

Dude Lin is on the bench because he makes bonehead plays . His mintues went down but the TO didnt that isnt a fluke . Harden can spot up and shoot I could understand your argument if harden was a dwade type player but lin should be able to play with harden we seen WESTBROOK do it if westbrook can do it any point guard should be able to play with harden. Westbrook and Lin are similar players Westbrook plays with Durant {game smiliar to harden} I dont see any problems with that combo if lin is good he should be able to figure it out this is he NBA be a professional and deliver under any circumstances .

archdevil84
01-14-2014, 05:29 PM
lin is thrash anyway, and asik is still on the rockets? werent there like a million reports saying "Asik wil be gone in the next few days" and "rockets willing to take anything in exchange for asik"?

Goose17
01-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Lin has to use himself properly you cant blame the team for his inconsistency. Lin is scared most of the time they only time he's actually aggressive is when the defense isn't set up but in the half court game he's a liability.

Keep telling yourself that.

And yes, he's overpaid, but not nearly as much as some other guys, at least he can bring some sort of production and is a serviceable player. Don't come crying to me about bad contracts, I'm a Warriors fan, you don't know what a bad contract is.

Is Lin overpaid? Yes. Is it a "bad" contract? meh... it's not a good contract but it could be significantly worse.

With the right help Lin can run an offense effectively and 14 points on .475% isn't something to turn your nose up at.

There's a lot of teams that could do a lot worse than Lin.

And if the Dubs had the cap space I would take Lin in a second, he's exactly the kind of player we need coming off the bench.

Asik's better
01-14-2014, 06:06 PM
I would like to point out the rockets were never going trade Lin. I feel like I've posted this a thousand times. Also there is no lockeroom drama. I wish people would stop pretending that there is.

On the asik side of things. I can see interest picking up again either at the deadline or in the offseason. I also believe that interest has cooled off because asik is also injured at the moment.

farren.louis
01-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Keep telling yourself that.

And yes, he's overpaid, but not nearly as much as some other guys, at least he can bring some sort of production and is a serviceable player. Don't come crying to me about bad contracts, I'm a Warriors fan, you don't know what a bad contract is.

Is Lin overpaid? Yes. Is it a "bad" contract? meh... it's not a good contract but it could be significantly worse.

With the right help Lin can run an offense effectively and 14 points on .475% isn't something to turn your nose up at.

There's a lot of teams that could do a lot worse than Lin.

And if the Dubs had the cap space I would take Lin in a second, he's exactly the kind of player we need coming off the bench.

brooks can take Lin spot Im turning my nose at those stats. I watch this guy play everyday . For the most part he stinks up the joint. Those stats are fooling you Yeah they look good but its not effective like you think it is. His half court game is TERRIBLE all Lin points come from fastbreaks but in the half court game Lin just dribble up the court , passes the ball and sits in the corner he rarely makes a play in the half court . I'm telling you man you gotta watch this guy he's not good. Idk what you mean by the right help you have to explain that one . Parson, harden, casspi, garcia, brooks can all spot up and shoot. Tjones, howard, asik can finish at the rim so I'm not sure what you mean by 'right help". Yeah he's shooting 47.5 but the season isn't over shooting % goes up and down . what i want to see improve is scoring, assist TO.

THE MTL
01-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I think both players are tradeable but the Rockets want too much. I also think that Rocket's handled the Asik situation horribly. The market has cooled off on him. He went from averaging a 10-10-1 to 4ppg 7rpg? And you gotta pay him 15 million next season. Plus, he's been dealing with injuries. His value has dropped.

FriedTofuz
01-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Morey is greedy as ****

kobe4thewinbang
01-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Morey's stubborn attitude is keeping the Rockets from the next level, yes?

ghettosean
01-14-2014, 08:17 PM
I think both players are tradeable but the Rockets want too much. I also think that Rocket's handled the Asik situation horribly. The market has cooled off on him. He went from averaging a 10-10-1 to 4ppg 7rpg? And you gotta pay him 15 million next season. Plus, he's been dealing with injuries. His value has dropped.

Yep Morey **** the bed on this one he should have taken the deal from Boston.

Stunner
01-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Morey and Dolan passed up trades that would hand helped their franchises

sunsfan88
01-14-2014, 08:50 PM
I think Houston wants to get more for Asik than the Suns did for Gortat.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-14-2014, 08:55 PM
That's what you get when you demand the world. You don't get anything then you drive down their value.

Stunner
01-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Houston should do this deal and call it a day http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pxph647

TrueFan420
01-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Houston should do this deal and call it a day http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pxph647
No they shouldn't

NBA_Starter
01-14-2014, 10:25 PM
They are wanting too much.

Blitzace137
01-14-2014, 10:52 PM
brooks can take Lin spot Im turning my nose at those stats. I watch this guy play everyday . For the most part he stinks up the joint. Those stats are fooling you Yeah they look good but its not effective like you think it is. His half court game is TERRIBLE all Lin points come from fastbreaks but in the half court game Lin just dribble up the court , passes the ball and sits in the corner he rarely makes a play in the half court . I'm telling you man you gotta watch this guy he's not good. Idk what you mean by the right help you have to explain that one . Parson, harden, casspi, garcia, brooks can all spot up and shoot. Tjones, howard, asik can finish at the rim so I'm not sure what you mean by 'right help". Yeah he's shooting 47.5 but the season isn't over shooting % goes up and down . what i want to see improve is scoring, assist TO.

You never give Lin any credit even if he plays good, yea he makes mental errors but are you complaining when he's dropping 14 points in the 4th against the Grizz or dropping 16 and 8 yesterday against the Celtics, 18 and 8 against the Wizards, were you complaining than? You choose to focus on the negatives and pay no mind to the positive things Lin brings to your team. You just don't like Lin, and that's cool because that's your opinion on the guy.

Htownballa1622
01-14-2014, 11:42 PM
I think both players are solid rotational guys that could be worth it depending on team needs.

Omer can anchor a defense while Lin can be a lead guard somewhere where there isn't much production.

I just think it's funny that Morey is being stubborn. I hope he takes advantage of someone soon.

Guess you can't win them all .

Trueblue2
01-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Is sending money in trades not allowed in basketball? The 15 mil doesn't count against the cap so just send some cash with and get a bettet return... seems like a no brainer.

Trueblue2
01-15-2014, 07:36 AM
OMG stop bring up that poison pill that would have taken effect if the teams matched .

We get how it works. We're talking actual pay checks not a cap hit. They do get paid 15 mil still.

tr3ymill3r
01-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Morey's stubborn attitude is keeping the Rockets from the next level, yes?

Yes, because his stubborn attitude prevented the Rockets from stealing Harden and signing Dwight. Morey is definitely the reason the Rockets aren't going anywhere. Some posters on here must have completely forgot that at one point the Rockets had Chuck Hayes as starting center and were contending for a playoff spot.

Heediot
01-15-2014, 09:11 AM
darren.louis must have beef with some asian guys in real life to dislike Lin that much. I mean you can not like the guy but your view of his playing level is ridiculous.

Tony_Starks
01-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Nobody is taking on those contracts for glorified role players. Rockets have to just eat that....

Blitzace137
01-15-2014, 03:53 PM
darren.louis must have beef with some asian guys in real life to dislike Lin that much. I mean you can not like the guy but your view of his playing level is ridiculous.

+1

Blitzace137
01-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Nobody is taking on those contracts for glorified role players. Rockets have to just eat that....

I didn't know averaging a double double makes you a glorified role player, or shooting close to 50% from the field makes someone a role player?

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 04:08 PM

I don't understand the phrase "glorified role players." What is that even supposed to mean? There are a lot of guys in the league who aren't No. 1 scorers and are mostly just considered role players. Take guys like Chandler, Noah and Hibbert. Are they going to give you 20/10? Hell no. You'll be lucky to get 15 points out of them on most nights. Does that mean they don't still deserve $10 million + annually? Hell no.

Asik is a top 5-10 defensive center and rebounder, and Lin has had a very, very good season. There are a lot of GMs and owners in the league who wouldn't mind spending $15 million on those guys next season considering it only counts as $8.3 million toward the cap and they'll expire the following offseason.

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Similar to what other posters have said, I don't think teams are necessarily scared off by the salary bump next season. I think Morey is just very careful to get the most value out of his players as he possibly can, and he's probably asking for more than those teams are willing to spend. If I'm Morey, I do the same thing. Right now, this is a very good basketball team that should be even better once it's healthy again. Why mess with that just to trade two of your five best players for unequal talent?

I wouldn't trade Lin at all the way he's playing right now, and Morey can get far more for Asik at the trade deadline or in the offseason once he's healthy again. If you can't get great value, don't make a deal.

Tony_Starks
01-15-2014, 04:33 PM
All I know is that gms have consistently publicly balked at the notion of those two players being worth their contracts. From the summer up until now. That's a fact.

astrosmaniac
01-15-2014, 04:36 PM
All I know is that gms have consistently publicly balked at the notion of those two players being worth their contracts. From the summer up until now. That's a fact.
It's also called posturing. Why wouldn't you try and downplay the value of an asset your competition has?

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Have they? Because all I've heard analysts say is how much Asik outplayed his contract last season and how smart Morey was to use the poison pill on Lin when he stole him from New York. Also, how many NBA GMs do you know personally? Do you guys hang out together? Do you have tea parties? Are you, Masai Ujiri, Sam Presti and Pat Riley playing golf together? Because I don't think I've ever heard other GMs "balk" at Lin and Asik's contracts, so you must have personally heard them say it.

Tony_Starks
01-15-2014, 04:48 PM
It's also called posturing. Why wouldn't you try and downplay the value of an asset your competition has?

OR maybe they really just don't think they're that good....

Tony_Starks
01-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Have they? Because all I've heard analysts say is how much Asik outplayed his contract last season and how smart Morey was to use the poison pill on Lin when he stole him from New York. Also, how many NBA GMs do you know personally? Do you guys hang out together? Do you have tea parties? Are you, Masai Ujiri, Sam Presti and Pat Riley playing golf together? Because I don't think I've ever heard other GMs "balk" at Lin and Asik's contracts, so you must have personally heard them say it.

It's called espn, yahoo sports, hoopshype.. Feel free to do your homework. I believe the initial source of this thread is from a "executive" as well btw.

But I get it, you think Lin is a legit starting PG and Asik is a defensive anchor. Suffice to say not everyone holds them in the same high regard, particularly with those contracts...

mightybosstone
01-15-2014, 05:04 PM
It's called espn, yahoo sports, hoopshype.. Feel free to do your homework. I believe the initial source of this thread is from a "executive" as well btw.

But I get it, you think Lin is a legit starting PG and Asik is a defensive anchor. Suffice to say not everyone holds them in the same high regard, particularly with those contracts...

I actually think Lin is a better sixth man than a starting point guard, but Asik is most definitely a legit defensive anchor, and I'm not sure how you can argue with that. Also, you cite a lot of websites, but I'd like you to find me ONE article that sources an NBA executive who claims that Lin and Asik got overpaid. Saying they don't want to pay $15 million in the final year of a contract is not close to the same thing as claiming that it was a bad contract overall. A lot of deals throughout sports are front or back loaded. Judging a contract by a single year is blatantly ignorant.

alexander_37
01-15-2014, 05:56 PM

:laugh: just stop talking now and go listen to some more Skip Bayless and screamin A

lol, please
01-16-2014, 02:52 AM
While the Dubs just get better. :whistle:

Hopefully Lin and Asik stay on the Rockets and we meet in the playoffs ;)

rockets-fan
01-16-2014, 03:06 AM

Funnest match up in a serious would be Thunder Rockets and GSW Rockets, as a rockets fan I mean. Fun series just waiting to happen IMO

mightybosstone
01-16-2014, 05:56 PM

Yeah. The Warriors really dominated the Rockets in their two regular season matchups this season. Oh wait..... That was the other way around.

Htownballa1622
01-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Lol. I would relish the opportunity to beat the gsw in the playoffs. :drool: