PDA

View Full Version : Should Detroit trade Greg Monroe?

Cracka2HI!
01-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Will they be able to re-sign him? With the signing of Josh Smith I think it would be best for them to try to trade Monroe. He should have decent trade value although it doesn't look like he has been progressing much as a player. I could be wrong about that, just going off dummy stats. How much would you pay this guy? I have no idea if he plays good D but with Smoove in the fold I would think they could improve their team D by moving Smoove to PF. I don't think they'll be able to get anything for Smith and if you trade him 3 months into his 1st season it sends a horrible message to future potential FA's. Monore could at the very least net them a player or 2 that will allow them to have a more balanced lineup.

Would you're team have anything to offer Detroit? Would you want your team to go hard after a guy who is still very young but who may have already hit his ceiling? Would you want your team going after him knowing he is a FA and players of his ilk cost major $$$$$. I think he should be traded. Detroit screwed up big time signing Josh Smith. Usually making another move to cover up a bad move isn't a good thing. In this case it might be. Detroit is currently in 7th in the east and with any kind of strong finish will make the playoffs. I think they could improve their team by trading their best asset. I think teams in the east like Toronto and Boston who are in playoff position should be buyers at the deadline. There would be a market for Monroe for sure. What would you do with him?

Duncan = Donkey
01-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Cant believe they signed Josh Smith, so ****en stupid. Now they are stuck with him and might have to let Monroe go.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Turner for Monroe. Solves everything. Both RFA and could use a new team.

RipCity32
01-13-2014, 09:38 PM
It's become very obvious that Monroe is best at the Center position and not the PF spot. He needs to be under the rim to be at his best. At the 5 Hes definatley a 16-18ppg with 10-11rpg who can also get 4apg if you run the offense through him. He has some of the best footwork in the league as far as big men are concerned. Which is how he breaks down a defense with crafty spin moves and such because of his lack of athleticism.

His defense does suck though but it may be limited because of the lack of athleticism. With Drummond being the future center of the team I really don't see how we can afford to resign Monroe who plays the same position as Drummond. So I think he will be traded if not by the deadline then a sign n trade in the offseason. He would be great with a guy like Davis who can defend versatile forwards and stretch the floor with his shot. He's just can't compliment Drummond.

Cracka2HI!
01-13-2014, 09:40 PM
It's become very obvious that Monroe is best at the Center position and not the PF spot. He needs to be under the rim to be at his best. At the 5 Hes definatley a 16-18ppg with 10-11rpg who can also get 4apg if you run the offense through him. He has some of the best footwork in the league as far as big men are concerned. Which is how he breaks down a defense with crafty spin moves and such because of his lack of athleticism.

His defense does suck though but it may be limited because of the lack of athleticism. With Drummond being the future center of the team I really don't see how we can afford to resign Monroe who plays the same position as Drummond. So I think he will be traded if not by the deadline then a sign n trade in the offseason. He would be great with a guy like Davis who can defend versatile forwards and stretch the floor with his shot. He's just can't compliment Drummond.

Interesting. It almost sounds like Smith is a better fit on the team than Monroe? Maybe the team had foresight in the signing knowing they would move Monroe?

MrfadeawayJB
01-13-2014, 09:44 PM
They need to move Monroe at the deadline and then move smith to pf position. Monroe will command 10-11 million per yr next season and Detroit would be wise not to resign him. I think they should target a sf in any trade opportunity

Cracka2HI!
01-13-2014, 09:45 PM
This does make a lot of sense.

RipCity32
01-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Interesting. It almost sounds like Smith is a better fit on the team than Monroe? Maybe the team had foresight in the signing knowing they would move Monroe?

Smith is a better fit in the traditional sense but Josh Smith is a huge Knuckle head at times despite all his talent. Which is something we all already know.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-13-2014, 09:47 PM
This does make a lot of sense.

Turner a pretty good passer so can possibly help run the offense and let Jennings shoot a bit more.

IndyRealist
01-13-2014, 09:47 PM

His defense does suck though but it may be limited because of the lack of athleticism. With Drummond being the future center of the team I really don't see how we can afford to resign Monroe who plays the same position as Drummond. So I think he will be traded if not by the deadline then a sign n trade in the houtoffseason. He would be great with a guy like Davis who can defend versatile forwards and stretch the floor with his shot. He's just can't compliment Drummond.

When I said that last year, I got shouted down loudly by Detroit fans saying I didn't know what I was talking about.

I do disagree that they should start by looking to move Monroe. They should try to move Smith first because, even out of position, Monroe seems like a better PF to pair with Drummond. If all they do is break even on Josh Smith and find someone to take his contract for a 2nd round pick, they're better off. Smith is inconsistent, makes poor decisions, and is apparently difficult to coach.

RipCity32
01-13-2014, 09:54 PM
When I said that last year, I got shouted down loudly by Detroit fans saying I didn't know what I was talking about.

I do disagree that they should start by looking to move Monroe. They should try to move Smith first because, even out of position, Monroe seems like a better PF to pair with Drummond. If all they do is break even on Josh Smith and find someone to take his contract for a 2nd round pick, they're better off. Smith is inconsistent, makes poor decisions, and is apparently difficult to coach.

I don't know if anyone would be willing to take Smith but I would probably go that route. But again if Monroe doesn't develop a more consistent 15 foot jump shot at the very least it makes it easier for teams to just box out Drummond.

JasonJohnHorn
01-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Trade Monroe? Fawk no!

The Smith deal is not crazy and he is tradable right now. I think packing him up with Jennings and a pick can get something back.

Detroit must keep Moroe and Drummond together.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-13-2014, 10:35 PM
I'd love him in otown.. could do a deal with afflalo in it

TrueFan420
01-14-2014, 12:05 AM
Detroit messed up signing smith everyone knew it but their gm

naps
01-14-2014, 12:26 AM
If you make a list of dumb GMs in sports history I am pretty sure anyone would have a hard time topping Joe Dumars. He straight up sucks balls. How could you sign Josh Smith to such a deal where you already had Drummond and Monroe? If it was another GM, Detroit would be awesome already.

Oh and nobody is touching Smith's contract, nobody. So they have no choice but to trade Monroe. Mark my words, Joe Dumars will be raped in that deal too.

RipCity32
01-14-2014, 12:32 AM
If you make a list of dumb GMs in sports history I am pretty sure anyone would have a hard time topping Joe Dumars. He straight up sucks balls. How could you sign Josh Smith to such a deal where you already had Drummond and Monroe? If it was another GM, Detroit would be awesome already.

Oh and nobody is touching Smith's contract, nobody. So they have no choice but to trade Monroe. Mark my words, Joe Dumars will be raped in that deal too.

It's sickening how bad of a GM he has become. Hopefully we miss the playoffs so the owner doesn't give him another contract and just lets him walk. It's been overdue for a while now.

aussie
01-14-2014, 12:34 AM
Eric Gordon for Monroe and Villanueva

RipCity32
01-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Eric Gordon for Monroe and Villanueva

No

aussie
01-14-2014, 12:50 AM
No
Yes

FriedTofuz
01-14-2014, 12:53 AM
monroe for evan turner would be a nice trade.

naps
01-14-2014, 12:57 AM
If Rondo comes back healthy and plays like he used to I think Detroit can land him by sending Monroe to Boston. But I am not sure if Rondo will be perfectly fine specially after seeing how Rose and Westbrook has been bugged by one injury after another. But assuming Rondo plays like the pre-injury Rondo, Detroit would do so much better than now with him on the line up. They will also have to get rid of Jennings. I can't believe Jennings and Smith are playing for the same starting lineup. Recipe for disaster.

sunsfan88
01-14-2014, 01:06 AM
Yes please trade him to Phoenix.

Morris twins, and Indiana first round pick for Monroe.

KingstonHawke
01-14-2014, 01:39 AM
I don't like the price that it took to get Smith, but I love that they acquired him. He's a great two-way stretch 4 that can also give you minutes at the 3 when you have a lead.

If I was the Pistons I'd be asking about Nerlens Noel. Monroe and a filler (Jerbreko maybe) for Noel and Turner would make a lot of sense for both teams.

Paying Turner instead of Monroe saves you money and improves the lineup. Noel has high upside and should be a pretty good 6th man until he's ready to start. By his second contract Smith's current contract will have expired, so the money works out also.

For the 76ers, they need a franchise center desperately. They have a franchise PG, and two potential lottery picks coming up. As long as they get value in the draft they could have a really solid lineup going forward.

Michael Carter Williams
Glenn Robinson or James Young
Thad Young
Julius Randle
Greg Monroe

That's a hell of a line-up.

Swashcuff
01-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Can't believe how many people are saying Monroe to Philly for Evan, damn has Monroe stock dropped that badly? Guess Evan did himself a solid by "improving" his game. Monroe over Noel is an interesting proposal. It has its good and its bad for both teams, don't see why Detroit would do it if they already have Dre however.

It's sad that the Pistons may indeed have to part with Monroe when you consider the atrocity that Josh Smith has been playing out of position but he really doesn't work as good with Drummond on either end of the floor as Smith does.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bcqsm5qCAAEu9xg.png#sthash.x5oonV0T.dpuf

I know its a couple weeks old but it cleary shows the that Monroe and Drummond aren't really effective when playing together for reasons already outlined in this thread.

2-ONE-5
01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Pistons really blew their rebuild by rushing it. They could have bouilt something specail with Monroe and Drummond but made a bad move in Smith and now they are likely to be forced to move Monroe bcuz of it. as for Monroe for ET as much as Philly would love it i dont see it happening just based on reading some recent comments from our GM. But most of us love Monroe in the forum and are fully on board to bring him in

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 11:41 AM
Didn't I say this long ago? we knew Monroe and Drummond can't play effective together, we've been knowing this.

Now how do you solve it? You trade one. And common sense saids it's the guy w/ the big money, Monroe. Now I'd hate to deal that guy, b/c I see Drummond as athletic but what more does he provide? he's a minus at the FT line, isn't really a great passer, he's an energy guy who might be a JJ Hickson ceiling. I don't look at Drummond and say that's going to be the #1 center in the game. I think he'll be effective but you have to be sure picking him over Monroe. B/c once Monroe is gone, the pressure builds up on a 20 yr. old.

I'd think if Monroe is traded, you put Josh Smith in the deal too.

Jamiecballer
01-14-2014, 12:20 PM
they should definitely do something to rebalance that team. it would be a shame if the silly Smith signing cost them Monroe. :sigh:

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-14-2014, 12:21 PM
How would Detroit fans feel about a deal for Monroe involving afflalo ?

Chronz
01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Didn't I say this long ago? we knew Monroe and Drummond can't play effective together, we've been knowing this.

Maybe not the ideal pair but what do you mean not effective? The #'s swash posted are pretty good, its just all 3 cant play together.

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Maybe not the ideal pair but what do you mean not effective? The #'s swash posted are pretty good, its just all 3 cant play together.

But defensively doesn't count too?

RipCity32
01-14-2014, 02:40 PM

Now how do you solve it? You trade one. And common sense saids it's the guy w/ the big money, Monroe. Now I'd hate to deal that guy, b/c I see Drummond as athletic but what more does he provide? he's a minus at the FT line, isn't really a great passer, he's an energy guy who might be a JJ Hickson ceiling. I don't look at Drummond and say that's going to be the #1 center in the game. I think he'll be effective but you have to be sure picking him over Monroe. B/c once Monroe is gone, the pressure builds up on a 20 yr. old.

I'd think if Monroe is traded, you put Josh Smith in the deal too.

I found that part of your post hilarious. In what world is JJ Hickson his ceiling when he's already way better than him at 20 years old in just his second season?

Drummond- 12.7ppg, 12.7rpg, 1.8blks, 1.5stls, 60%fg

Hickson- 11.4ppg, 8.4rpg, 0.8blks, 0.7stls, 50%fg

Maybe I'm missing something here.

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 02:52 PM
I found that part of your post hilarious. In what world is JJ Hickson his ceiling when he's already way better than him at 20 years old in just his second season?

Drummond- 12.7ppg, 12.7rpg, 1.8blks, 1.5stls, 60%fg

Hickson- 11.4ppg, 8.4rpg, 0.8blks, 0.7stls, 50%fg

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Is he that much better? It's not like you showed me 18 PPG or 20 PPG here.

I said he might be a JJ Hickson ceiling. No lies there.

J4KOP99
01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
For gasol and then add in a couple other pieces to make salary work

RipCity32
01-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Is he that much better? It's not like you showed me 18 PPG or 20 PPG here.

I said he might be a JJ Hickson ceiling. No lies there.

Lol, your right I didn't show you 20 ppg. So leading the league in offensive rebounds, 2nd in the league amongst centers in steals, 2nd in the league in fg%, 6th in the league in blocks but these things brings him down to a lesser players ceiling level because he doesn't avg 18ppg. Drummond could avg more ppg if he ever got the ball on offense. He gets all of his stats on his own while also playing alongside two other bigs.

xxplayerxx23
01-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes please trade him to Phoenix.

Morris twins, and Indiana first round pick for Monroe.

Horrible offer

Hitman21
01-14-2014, 03:08 PM
gortat and nene for monroe

xxplayerxx23
01-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Lmao Drummond has superstar written all over him. JJ hickson :laugh: he's already better. He's going to be a 20-13-2 guy

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Lol, your right I didn't show you 20 ppg. So leading the league in offensive rebounds, 2nd in the league amongst centers in steals, 2nd in the league in fg%, 6th in the league in blocks but these things brings him down to a lesser players ceiling level because he doesn't avg 18ppg. Drummond could avg more ppg if he ever got the ball on offense. He gets all of his stats on his own while also playing alongside two other bigs.

part of the reason he averages more points is b/c Monroe draws double. Now if you're talking about dealing Monroe, those pts. for Drummond aren't going to come as easy. It's not like he creates his own offense. He's young and energetic, gets to broken plays around the rim. But if a defense focuses on solely him, It's not going to be pretty, especially since he's not a gifted decision maker and not great at the line.

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Lmao Drummond has superstar written all over him. JJ hickson :laugh: he's already better. He's going to be a 20-13-2 guy

Drummond is a superstar right now? So he's Stat or Duncan is what you're telling me right? he's got top 2 or 3 center or PF written all over him? He's going to average 20 points now? w/ no free throw form and no real post move?

Wade n Fade
01-14-2014, 03:25 PM
If the Pistons can flip Monroe and pieces to Minny for K-Love, by all means, go for it.

Cal827
01-14-2014, 03:33 PM
LOL, Drummond with J.J. Hickson Potential.

Drummond right now is the 2nd best Center in the East that is playing, and probably 3rd overall. (I know Lopez is hurt too, but you want your Center to be an excellent defender).

Pretty much every team other than the Hornets should be mad that they passed up on him, especially Cleveland lol

As for the point, I don't know who would go after him. I love his game though. Turner sounded like a decent deal. But I thought Josh Smith signed with the Pistons in order to spend most of his time at SF. Going back to PF might annoy him lol

RipCity32
01-14-2014, 03:34 PM
part of the reason he averages more points is b/c Monroe draws double. Now if you're talking about dealing Monroe, those pts. for Drummond aren't going to come as easy. It's not like he creates his own offense. He's young and energetic, gets to broken plays around the rim. But if a defense focuses on solely him, It's not going to be pretty, especially since he's not a gifted decision maker and not great at the line.

I don't even know why I'm arguing with you because now you clearly don't know what your talking about. Monroe doesn't open anything up for Drummond because like Drummond on offense Monroe is most effective at the rim. He doesn't create any space for Drummond. Monroe cant draw a defender or like you said multiple defenders out to create space. Why? Because defense don't respect his jump shot and in return it makes it that much easier to box Drummond out. Drummond would be way more effective with a stretch 4 who can create space down low for him and give him 1on1 matchups. Playing with another center who can't shoot doesn't help him at all.

Sorta like how Orlando put Rashard Lewis and Hedo out there with Dwight. They create space for Dwight down low and were also one of the best three point shooting teams because Dwight can return the favor right back drawing in defenders from the outside.

Wade n Fade
01-14-2014, 03:36 PM
I don't even know why I'm arguing with you because now you clearly don't know what your talking about. Monroe doesn't open anything up for Drummond because like Drummond on offense Monroe is most effective at the rim. He doesn't create any space for Drummond. Monroe cant draw a defender or like you said multiple defenders out to create space. Why? Because defense don't respect his jump shot and in return it makes it that much easier to box Drummond out. Drummond would be way more effective with a stretch 4 who can create space down low for him and give him 1on1 matchups. Playing with another center who can't shoot doesn't help him at all.

Sorta like how Orlando put Rashard Lewis and Hedo out there with Dwight. They create space for Dwight down low and were also one of the best three point shooting teams because Dwight can return the favor right back drawing in defenders from the outside.

Drummon needs a mid range shot though. The guy is so talented and I think he can do it. I personally think that Cousins is on a tear and will be the best C in the game very soon.

RipCity32
01-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Drummon needs a mid range shot though. The guy is so talented and I think he can do it. I personally think that Cousins is on a tear and will be the best C in the game very soon.

I don't think he will ever get a mid range shot. But he is starting to get better around the rim with hook shots, Which just a hook shot would be huge for him. The couple of times the team has giving him touches down low Hes impressed me but he's still a few years away from being a good offensive option down low. And yeah Cousins is looking really good nowadays.

KnicksorBust
01-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Yup for Kyle Lowry and filler

Wade n Fade
01-14-2014, 04:10 PM
I don't think he will ever get a mid range shot. But he is starting to get better around the rim with hook shots, Which just a hook shot would be huge for him. The couple of times the team has giving him touches down low Hes impressed me but he's still a few years away from being a good offensive option down low. And yeah Cousins is looking really good nowadays.

Imagine him and Jonas Valuncianis in Toronto instead of T-Ross being drafted? That would be a scary tandem when both are in their primes. JV is still getting better too. He's going to be the best Euro player in the league when Dirk retires.

D-Leethal
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Monroe for Rondo made way too much sense this offseason.

J4KOP99
01-14-2014, 04:22 PM
What is detroit looking to do? Have some money to spend in the future? Trade Monroe for a ready-to-play-now piece? Get draft picks?

The Lakers would love to have Monroe IMO and if the Pistons want a large expiring so that they can then spend it in an off-season or two, then a Gasol for Monroe and another piece would make sense. I just don't know what Detroit wants. I also think Gasol alongside Drummond would be a great tandem and would do wonders for drummonds offensive game. I just doubt Gasol would want to stay in detroit.

Wade n Fade
01-14-2014, 04:36 PM
What is detroit looking to do? Have some money to spend in the future? Trade Monroe for a ready-to-play-now piece? Get draft picks?

The Lakers would love to have Monroe IMO and if the Pistons want a large expiring so that they can then spend it in an off-season or two, then a Gasol for Monroe and another piece would make sense. I just don't know what Detroit wants. I also think Gasol alongside Drummond would be a great tandem and would do wonders for drummonds offensive game. I just doubt Gasol would want to stay in detroit.

Disagree completely. Gasol is not worth acquiring. He's not going to make the Pistons leap over Toronto as the 3rd best team in the East. He's too unhealthy. Gasol might end up leaving the Lakers for nothing, don't be surprised.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Keep him then someone offer him a max. Dumars will match.

Chronz
01-14-2014, 05:06 PM

Drummond is a superstar right now? So he's Stat or Duncan is what you're telling me right? he's got top 2 or 3 center or PF written all over him? He's going to average 20 points now? w/ no free throw form and no real post move?
Hes way better Derozen, the guy you deemed a star with so little to show for it

KniCks4LiFe
01-14-2014, 05:38 PM

Really. So Drummond is good for 21 PPG? DeRozan again, I never said superstar. And you know that. He is star.

Drummond is right now talented. He's not a star. We have yet to see him go a season w/o Monroe and see defenses adjust to him. I know one thing scoring ain't gonna come easy for him once Monroe is dealt. And that's not to say he won't be a star big. But chill, you know damn well there's been plenty of bigs in the NBA that have gone through the same and shrank in yr. 2 in production. Right now he's having a good season.

Bruno
01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
I think Minny should be trying very hard to land him. i like his fit next to Loves. some kind of three team deal would be smart.

Lil Rhody
01-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Celtics will trade anyone. Please anyone

2_Trill
01-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Only trade for Monroe I would consider is for Rondo. Rondo is a upgrade over jennings who struggles finishing around the rim and on the ball defense. I would hate to see Monroe traded before he finds his groove at PF. Detroit needs shooters bad!! If Detroit had knock down shooters I don't think we're sitting here talking monroe trades. Which the gm should be at blame for not surrounding the big three with any kind of shooting power.

2-ONE-5
01-14-2014, 06:45 PM
wait now Derozan is a star? lol

Tblaze
01-14-2014, 07:02 PM
I also think turner for Monroe makes alot of sense.. However a Smith/Drummond tandem would limit post-up abilities (until drummond will establish them). They do both run the floor really well which could be an advantage.

I guess the teams that should look at monroe should be in need of inside scoring, and have a rim protector at the 4 or 5.. Hard to come up with a team that would need that, and have assets that could acquire him.

Maybe New Orleans? Monroe/Anthony Davis would be an interesting frontcourt...

Cal827
01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Deon Waiters+ Top 8 Protected First for Monroe. I'm aware that this might be a little one-sided lol

Gives Cleveland a Legitimate post presence without Gasol. Can Move Monroe to his preferred position. With the lack of passing on that team, a post scorer with good offensive awareness could cause problems, and leave more chances for Kyrie. Their young age allows the two players to develop chemistry, maybe convinces Kyrie more that he should stay (which I think might be a worry for Cleveland in the very near future).

Irving- Jack
Miles- Jack/Gee
Deng- Gee/Jack/Clark/Bennett
Thompson- Clark/Varejao
Monroe- Varejao

Detroit gets an SG who might just need a change in scenery to develop better, as well as a draft pick in a loaded draft (assuming that Cleveland improves from the deal, so they could maybe grab someone at PG or SG if things don't work out).

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-14-2014, 07:48 PM
Afflalo and Nicholson for Monroe and Charlie V or stu key....

Both work financially

Chronz
01-14-2014, 09:12 PM

Really. So Drummond is good for 21 PPG? DeRozan again, I never said superstar. And you know that. He is star.

Drummond is right now talented. He's not a star. We have yet to see him go a season w/o Monroe and see defenses adjust to him. I know one thing scoring ain't gonna come easy for him once Monroe is dealt. And that's not to say he won't be a star big. But chill, you know damn well there's been plenty of bigs in the NBA that have gone through the same and shrank in yr. 2 in production. Right now he's having a good season.
You dont have to score more than a player to be better than him, particularly if your stats are already superior. Check out the more relevant numbers you cited for derozen

NBA_Starter
01-14-2014, 09:18 PM
I hear they aren't going to make him a serious offer so you may as well try and get something for him.

Jamiecballer
01-14-2014, 09:33 PM

i'm normally a huge numbers guy because people eye's lie. a lot.

having said that, i think the numbers are slightly hollow with regards to this guy. the lights are on but nobody is home.

Cracka2HI!
01-20-2014, 04:35 PM
After watching the Piston against my Clippers today I am more convinced the team needs to move Monroe. They really need a legit PG, maybe Jennings can play the 2? Monroe and Jennings combined for 6 points on 1-10 shooting(0-7 0 pointsfor Jennings). Sure it's 1 game but Detriot had Kyle Singler running the point to close out the game. They made a pretty nice run with Monroe and Jennings on the bench to close it out. The team was much better when Smith moved to PF. Monroe seems like the odd man and you shouldn't have Singler playing PG in your best lineup.

RipCity32
01-20-2014, 04:55 PM
After watching the Piston against my Clippers today I am more convinced the team needs to move Monroe. They really need a legit PG, maybe Jennings can play the 2? Monroe and Jennings combined for 6 points on 1-10 shooting(0-7 0 pointsfor Jennings). Sure it's 1 game but Detriot had Kyle Singler running the point to close out the game. They made a pretty nice run with Monroe and Jennings on the bench to close it out. The team was much better when Smith moved to PF. Monroe seems like the odd man and you shouldn't have Singler playing PG in your best lineup.

Jennings is terrible, He's a good passer but he can't run a offense, he's terrible offensively and even worse defensively. Monroe is what he is and that's a offensive 5 that needs to be by the basket but hes always going to struggle going up against a athletic frontcourt like that. Monroes lack of athleticism kills him on both sides of the ball. They both need to be moved.

detzfish
01-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Smith is definitely the better fit at pf and they should be actively shopping Monroe. Turner and afflalo are two players I would be interested on if a deal there is possible

IgglesFanInCO
01-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Faried+Anthony Randolph for Monroe

Or Faried+Wilson Chandler for Monroe, filler

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-20-2014, 05:26 PM
I'd love a deal with afflalo in it for Monroe....

RipCity32
01-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Faried+Anthony Randolph for Monroe

Or Faried+Wilson Chandler for Monroe, filler

Sounds good

RipCity32
01-20-2014, 05:29 PM

Sounds good

Cracka2HI!
01-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Jennings is terrible, He's a good passer but he can't run a offense, he's terrible offensively and even worse defensively. Monroe is what he is and that's a offensive 5 that needs to be by the basket but hes always going to struggle going up against a athletic frontcourt like that. Monroes lack of athleticism kills him on both sides of the ball. They both need to be moved.
I think they are likely to be stuck with Jennings. He didn't seem to generate any interest outside of Detroit. However maybe the team can find someone who like Monroe enough that they take Jennings too. Trading Monroe for a big PG or a SG that can run an offense seems like the best thing Detroit can do to cover up Jennings shortcomings.

williams
01-20-2014, 10:37 PM
carmelo anthony for drummond, villaneuva, stuckey, pick.

5ass
01-20-2014, 10:58 PM

We better have elite defenders at every other position if we're gonna start monroe and vuc.

Method28
01-20-2014, 11:15 PM

You do know that there are two sides to the game as well right? Drummond is no slouch on the glass or on D.

RipCity32
01-21-2014, 12:36 AM
carmelo anthony for drummond, villaneuva, stuckey, pick.

No thanks, I think I'll keep 20 year old Drummond over 30 year old half a year rental Melo.

Jarvo
01-21-2014, 01:52 AM
Pistons should have never signed Smith, I would love Monroe on The Spurs!!

Chronz
01-21-2014, 02:23 AM
i'm normally a huge numbers guy because people eye's lie. a lot.

having said that, i think the numbers are slightly hollow with regards to this guy. the lights are on but nobody is home.

Yea, for some reason I've had alot of Toronto fans tell me that.

b@llhog24
01-21-2014, 03:15 AM
Will they be able to re-sign him? With the signing of Josh Smith I think it would be best for them to try to trade Monroe. He should have decent trade value although it doesn't look like he has been progressing much as a player. I could be wrong about that, just going off dummy stats. How much would you pay this guy? I have no idea if he plays good D but with Smoove in the fold I would think they could improve their team D by moving Smoove to PF. I don't think they'll be able to get anything for Smith and if you trade him 3 months into his 1st season it sends a horrible message to future potential FA's. Monore could at the very least net them a player or 2 that will allow them to have a more balanced lineup.

Would you're team have anything to offer Detroit? Would you want your team to go hard after a guy who is still very young but who may have already hit his ceiling? Would you want your team going after him knowing he is a FA and players of his ilk cost major $$$$$. I think he should be traded. Detroit screwed up big time signing Josh Smith. Usually making another move to cover up a bad move isn't a good thing. In this case it might be. Detroit is currently in 7th in the east and with any kind of strong finish will make the playoffs. I think they could improve their team by trading their best asset. I think teams in the east like Toronto and Boston who are in playoff position should be buyers at the deadline. There would be a market for Monroe for sure. What would you do with him?

It's not a matter of dummy stats vs advanced metrics. It's just basic chemistry. If you have 3 players over 6'10 in your starting front court and none of them can shoot just spells disaster.

Monroe is a better fit.

Turner a pretty good passer so can possibly help run the offense and let Jennings shoot a bit more.

:puke:

I don't like the price that it took to get Smith, but I love that they acquired him. He's a great two-way stretch 4 that can also give you minutes at the 3 when you have a lead.

If I was the Pistons I'd be asking about Nerlens Noel. Monroe and a filler (Jerbreko maybe) for Noel and Turner would make a lot of sense for both teams.

Paying Turner instead of Monroe saves you money and improves the lineup. Noel has high upside and should be a pretty good 6th man until he's ready to start. By his second contract Smith's current contract will have expired, so the money works out also.

For the 76ers, they need a franchise center desperately. They have a franchise PG, and two potential lottery picks coming up. As long as they get value in the draft they could have a really solid lineup going forward.

Michael Carter Williams
Glenn Robinson or James Young
Thad Young
Julius Randle
Greg Monroe

That's a hell of a line-up.

You normally have to be able to shoot to be a stretch four.

KingstonHawke
01-21-2014, 09:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYCvCLISBxQ#t=25

You must've just started watching the kid if you think he can't shoot. There was a lot of talk about him playing the 3 going into this year. I think Kentucky (rightfully so) just decided to make him focus on being better on the box.

KingstonHawke
01-21-2014, 09:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYCvCLISBxQ#t=25

You must've just started watching the kid if you think he can't shoot. There was a lot of talk about him playing the 3 going into this year. I think Kentucky (rightfully so) just decided to make him focus on being better on the box.

b@llhog24
01-21-2014, 09:34 AM
The subject never switched from Smith.

mightybosstone
01-21-2014, 10:32 AM
I don't watch hardly any Pistons games, so the idea some posters brought up of Monroe being better at C than PF had never occurred to me. But 82games.com backs it up. He's far more efficient at the C position the last two seasons, and he's even been superior defensively at the 5 this season. If that's the case, maybe the Pistons should deal Monroe while they still can to get as much as they can for him and to allow for Smith's move back to his natural position.

I still am not a fan of the Smith deal when they already had Drummond and Monroe, but the front office honestly thought Smith would be a better fit at the PF long-term and had doubts about Monroe's future with the team, I could see how they justified the signing.

Cracka2HI!
01-21-2014, 07:20 PM
It's not a matter of dummy stats vs advanced metrics. It's just basic chemistry. If you have 3 players over 6'10 in your starting front court and none of them can shoot just spells disaster.

Monroe is a better fit.

:puke:

You normally have to be able to shoot to be a stretch four.The whole premis of the thread was that Detroit can't trade Smith due to his contract and need to trade Monroe before he hits FA and they lose him for nothing. After reading the thread and finally seeing Detroit play yesterday I'm not sure Smith isn't a better fit in Detroit despite Monroe being the better post player.

I don't watch hardly any Pistons games, so the idea some posters brought up of Monroe being better at C than PF had never occurred to me. But 82games.com backs it up. He's far more efficient at the C position the last two seasons, and he's even been superior defensively at the 5 this season. If that's the case, maybe the Pistons should deal Monroe while they still can to get as much as they can for him and to allow for Smith's move back to his natural position.

I still am not a fan of the Smith deal when they already had Drummond and Monroe, but the front office honestly thought Smith would be a better fit at the PF long-term and had doubts about Monroe's future with the team, I could see how they justified the signing.

I agree with this but I don't think that was their thinking. I think they believed Smith at the 3 would work.

DetroitBadBoy
01-21-2014, 08:55 PM
The Smith signing was strictly to up the talent on the team and we absolutely did that. Monroe is a center and we already have Drummond.

NBA_Starter
01-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Who knows what Dumars will do.

j-bay
01-21-2014, 10:27 PM
The Wizards are interested.

detzfish
01-21-2014, 10:28 PM
They need to just play one of them off the bench and have a 3 big rotation of smith Monroe and Drummond. Gives them an above average player at each position at all times. Late game situations u might play all 3 together to get your beat talent on the court but smith as a full time sf doesn't look fantastic.

RipCity32
01-21-2014, 10:39 PM
The Wizards are interested.

I don't know if they're good trade partners. They won't give up Beal so they will probably try to give us some sort of package around Porter and Hes looked like crap so far.

j-bay
01-22-2014, 01:00 AM
I don't know if they're good trade partners. They won't give up Beal so they will probably try to give us some sort of package around Porter and Hes looked like crap so far.

The best I can think of is Ariza.

5ass
01-22-2014, 01:34 AM
too crazy?
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n7yuby3

kduce
01-22-2014, 02:12 PM
too crazy?
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n7yuby3

As a Pistons fan I am not sure how I would feel about that, especially because we would still have Jennings. You know he wouldn't wanna come off of the bench and I dont trust him at SG so in a way we clear out one log jam just to created another.

CELTICS4LYFE
01-22-2014, 02:45 PM
To the celtics! Jeff Green n a couple draft picks??

Spacolie716
01-22-2014, 03:05 PM

This trade needs to happen like.. now. Turner is a team player that would fit in perfectly with Detroit. And the 76er's can use Monroe at C and can move Nerlens Noel to PF when he comes back if he plays decent. That dude is waaaay too skinny right now to be playing at the 5.

RipCity32
01-22-2014, 03:11 PM
I said earlier in the thread that Monroe and Davis would compliment each other well. Monroe being from New Orleans and just so happens they need a Center. They also want Gordon's contract gone.

Monroe, Stuckey(expiring), Villanueva(expiring)

For

Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon

RipCity32
01-22-2014, 03:12 PM
This trade needs to happen like.. now. Turner is a team player that would fit in perfectly with Detroit. And the 76er's can use Monroe at C and can move Nerlens Noel to PF when he comes back if he plays decent. That dude is waaaay too skinny right now to be playing at the 5.

Turner is a bad fit. We are looking for shooters on the wing.

Spacolie716
01-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Turner is a bad fit. We are looking for shooters on the wing.

I was thinking more/less of the fact that he doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. But yeah, I could agree with that. If you want a straight up shooter, Caron Butler would easily be available from the Bucks. He wants out of there. Butler plus a future 1st rounder for Monroe and another contract could get that deal done. Trevor Ariza could be another person from Washington, but I don't think WAS would part ways with him. Jared Dudley could work too, but Detroit would get waaay less value out of that trade I feel depending on who's actually in the trade.

mrblisterdundee
01-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Detroit definitely needs shooters to space the floor. Ryan Anderson would have been a great trade target for Detroit, but who knows if he can stay healthy now. Jeff Green's a possibility, although Boston would have to give up some other talent.

j-bay
01-22-2014, 06:26 PM
I was thinking more/less of the fact that he doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. But yeah, I could agree with that. If you want a straight up shooter, Caron Butler would easily be available from the Bucks. He wants out of there. Butler plus a future 1st rounder for Monroe and another contract could get that deal done. Trevor Ariza could be another person from Washington, but I don't think WAS would part ways with him. Jared Dudley could work too, but Detroit would get waaay less value out of that trade I feel depending on who's actually in the trade.

Ariza could be had because of his expiring contract.

rocket
01-22-2014, 07:07 PM
I hope we can get rid of Jennings too. He's awful.