PDA

View Full Version : Pop calls K.Love - Our (Spurs) new Amar'e Stoudemire .

leprechaun5
01-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN
Interesting Pop take on Kevin Love: "He's our new Amare Stoudemire."

Jeff McDonald ‏@JMcDonald_SAEN
Pop on Love: "You play him and say, 'He's going to get 30,' and then you hope you do everything else you have to do to win."

I think he dissed him with that first quote .

NYKnickFanatic
01-10-2014, 05:34 PM
How is it a diss calling him the new Amare Stoudemire?

A young healthy Amare was ****ing amazing and exciting.

ManRam
01-10-2014, 05:36 PM
I'd like to hear more context, because the second clearly doesn't sound like a diss, and I don't think comparing anyone to prime Amare is at all a diss either. The guy was one of the very best...a top-5 player perhaps in his prime. The second quote kinda sounds like he's just saying "we know K Love is a stud and is going to get his points...so the goal has to be to stop everyone else". And considering how "everyone else" has been so inconsistent and iffy at times, that's an intuitive idea.

I also want to see more context because I don't think their games are that similar.

At the very least, it seems like two very "meh" quotes.

Sandman
01-10-2014, 05:36 PM
I think he dissed him with that first quote .

then all of a sudden you put it back in context and its like magic

leprechaun5
01-10-2014, 05:41 PM

Yes he was but he never played defense

AddiX
01-10-2014, 05:42 PM
I don't know if he's dissing him or not, but there's a lot of players he could of compared him to that score points, so IMO there's more to that comment than just what he said.

Rndy
01-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Similar is some ways but Amare could never rebound like K Love and Love is a better long range shooter. I'd say Amare was more explosive and a better pick and roll player. I believe Love can still turn around his defense just needs the right team come to Chicago :)

SPURSFAN1
01-10-2014, 05:48 PM
The suns were a top 3 team for many years. I would take a young amare all day.

kdspurman
01-10-2014, 05:49 PM
He's simply saying Love is like Amare in the sense that Amare during his Suns days would always put up a bunch of points. It has nothing to do with their styles of play or defense or anything other than Love always seems to have nice games against us like Amare did.

Try not to make too much of this lol, it's really simple.

beasted86
01-10-2014, 05:53 PM
It was a compliment to his unstoppable scoring nature, but also a slight in the fact that Amare has had 12 games against the Spurs that he scored 30 or more, but has only won 2 of them.

Here is Amare's full Suns vs. Spurs gamelog including playoffs:
http://bkref.com/tiny/ZaILk

Joshtd1
01-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Pretty much what KD said..Spurs had their problems with Amare, the same way they do with Love, but they would be fine with them scoring 30 + as long as their teammates don't do much. Pretty simple

Chronz
01-10-2014, 05:59 PM
It can be taken 1 of 2 ways, good or bad. Brilliant revelation I know but I would like to see the entire interview as well

kdspurman
01-10-2014, 05:59 PM
It was a compliment to his unstoppable scoring nature, but also a slight in the fact that Amare has had 12 games against the Spurs that he scored 30 or more, but has only won 2 of them.

Here is Amare's full Suns vs. Spurs gamelog including playoffs:
http://bkref.com/tiny/ZaILk

And it's not even a slight, it's just the fact they have good games against the Spurs.

kdspurman
01-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Here's the interview, 2:40 mark he gets asked the question about how to defend Love.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/2014/01/10/140110popmov-3102709

blahblahyoutoo
01-10-2014, 06:06 PM
not a diss, but love right now is better than amare ever was.

Riodagoat
01-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Not a diss. He was obviously referring to the Amare of Phoenix. However, the comparison is wrong. They have very different games. Love doesn't have the athleticism that Amare had.

SPURSFAN1
01-10-2014, 06:13 PM

No diss but has he even played in a playoff series?

Hawkeye15
01-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Amare used to put up insane numbers against the Spurs, so this is a compliment really.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Not a diss. He was obviously referring to the Amare of Phoenix. However, the comparison is wrong. They have very different games. Love doesn't have the athleticism that Amare had.

and Amare didn't have the basketball skill level that Love has. At all.

Bad comparison style wise, but he is talking pure numbers most likely.

Kashmir13579
01-10-2014, 06:17 PM
It's not a diss. You forgot how dominant STAT was before his back ailments and too many knee surgerys

Kashmir13579
01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
I'd like to hear more context, because the second clearly doesn't sound like a diss, and I don't think comparing anyone to prime Amare is at all a diss either. The guy was one of the very best...a top-5 player perhaps in his prime. The second quote kinda sounds like he's just saying "we know K Love is a stud and is going to get his points...so the goal has to be to stop everyone else". And considering how "everyone else" has been so inconsistent and iffy at times, that's an intuitive idea.

I also want to see more context because I don't think their games are that similar.

At the very least, it seems like two very "meh" quotes. the context is clear as day. He's gonna get his 30.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Pretty much what KD said..Spurs had their problems with Amare, the same way they do with Love, but they would be fine with them scoring 30 + as long as their teammates don't do much. Pretty simple

pretty much. It seems most of Loves games are wasted by one thing or another. This year, its our bench and our PG play.

Hawkeye15
01-10-2014, 06:22 PM

While I usually reject any point you bring up, because it's garbage, I need to see Love in a playoff series before we really know how good he is. Does he crumble like KG did? Or does he excel like Barkley did?

D-Leethal
01-10-2014, 06:24 PM

Not true one bit.

Riodagoat
01-10-2014, 06:25 PM
and Amare didn't have the basketball skill level that Love has. At all.

Bad comparison style wise, but he is talking pure numbers most likely.

Amare never posted stats as impressive as Love's as well.... So /shrug
Like I said, 2 very different players. Not sure why he made that comparison.

D-Leethal
01-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Amare used to go ham on the Spurs all the time, thats what he is referring to. Dude averaged 37ppg in a playoff series against a prime Tim Duncan. Amare still gets boos rained down on him when he visits SA. Pop is saying this in a good way.

kdspurman
01-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Amare never posted stats as impressive as Love's as well.... So /shrug
Like I said, 2 very different players. Not sure why he made that comparison.

He made that comparison cause it has nothing to do with stats at all. It's the success each of them had scoring the ball against the Spurs.

PurpleJesus
01-10-2014, 06:33 PM
amazing story.

SPURSFAN1
01-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Look at those hands. That's why they payed him the big money before he got injured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74mBPFK5yqU

sunsfan88
01-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Yes he was but he never played defense
And neither does Love...you realize that don't you?

Amare was a better defender than Love is.

koreancabbage
01-10-2014, 06:39 PM

doesn't play defense

D-Leethal
01-10-2014, 06:46 PM
doesn't play defense

Just like 80% of the superstars in the NBA.

Chronz
01-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Look at those hands. That's why they payed him the big money before he got injured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74mBPFK5yqU

Man I miss that guy. Been waiting for someone like him for awhile, Blake comes kind of close only hes not as aggressive and lacks the jumper Amare developed after his knee surgery. I think Anthony Davis can be the next PnR destroyer

SPURSFAN1
01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Man I miss that guy. Been waiting for someone like him for awhile, Blake comes kind of close only hes not as aggressive and lacks the jumper Amare developed after his knee surgery. I think Anthony Davis can be the next PnR destroyer

Amare could hit free throws too.

ewing
01-10-2014, 07:21 PM

I dont think it is just aggressive. Its feel and timing. Amare has a great feel offensively- just like he has no feel on D. His knows how to create passing angles for his guards. He waits and he cuts at the right times. He cuts hard or trails to allow for angles. Blake doesn't feel the play develop as well as Amare

kobe4thewinbang
01-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Spurs had that nice series against Phoenix when Amare could still play for the most part. Remember the block on Duncan? Anyway, Popovich wishes he had K-Love on his team to usher in the post-Duncan era.

ewing
01-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Anyway, i think all Pop was saying is that Love is big forward that he realizes will get his. He doesn't game plan to stop him he takes care of other things that should lead to a W

Chronz
01-10-2014, 07:25 PM
I dont think it is just aggressive. Its feel and timing. Amare has a great feel offensively- just like he has no feel on D. His knows how to create passing angles for his guards. He waits and he cuts at the right times. He cuts hard or trails to allow for angles. Blake doesn't feel the play develop as well as Amare

Maybe, but Amare also got the advantage to play Center for his team. Surrounded by shooters all over the court gave him better spacing for those angles. Doesn't make a huge difference but I think it helped his game in his youth. I could be talking out my *** tho, I feel the urge to research it now.

Amare could hit free throws too.
Blake is hitting them now

Chronz
01-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Spurs had that nice series against Phoenix when Amare could still play for the most part. Remember the block on Duncan? Anyway, Popovich wishes he had K-Love on his team to usher in the post-Duncan era.

Remember that 3 his rookie year, I remember thinking man both the Magic and the Suns could upset the #1 seeds.

ewing
01-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Maybe, but Amare also got the advantage to play Center for his team. Surrounded by shooters all over the court gave him better spacing for those angles. Doesn't make a huge difference but I think it helped his game.

Amare was definitely in the ideal spot for a finishing big with speed. That said, i still watch every game he plays and i think the guy is better without the ball then Blake and most other NBA players

D-Leethal
01-10-2014, 07:33 PM
Remember that 3 his rookie year, I remember thinking man both the Magic and the Suns could upset the #1 seeds.

That was when first round was 5 games and I am pretty sure they took the Spurs to 5, correct? I remember Marbs having a crazy buzzer beater to put a game into OT too. Pretty sure they swept the season series, so many were predicting potential upset alert before it happened. Similar to the GSW-Mavs series a couple years later.

D-Leethal
01-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Maybe, but Amare also got the advantage to play Center for his team. Surrounded by shooters all over the court gave him better spacing for those angles. Doesn't make a huge difference but I think it helped his game in his youth. I could be talking out my *** tho, I feel the urge to research it now.

Those are all fair points - if Amare had DJ and DJ's defender clogging the paint, it would be a lot tougher to find those angles.

IKnowHoops
01-10-2014, 07:42 PM
The suns were a top 3 team for many years. I would take a young amare all day.

All spurs fans know, that outside of Shaq, Amare in his prime may have been the hardest player for the Spurs to deal with on any of there championship runs.

Chronz
01-10-2014, 07:46 PM
That was when first round was 5 games and I am pretty sure they took the Spurs to 5, correct? I remember Marbs having a crazy buzzer beater to put a game into OT too. Pretty sure they swept the season series, so many were predicting potential upset alert before it happened. Similar to the GSW-Mavs series a couple years later.

sadly it was the first year it went 7. I know this because Tmac took alot of heat for saying something like it feels great to be in the 2nd round, which he claims was an out of context quote where he was pretending it was still a 5 game series.

LTBaByyy
01-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Blake Griffin is the new Stoudemire

He is the perfect comparison, skill wise and athletic wise.

They will always be underrated to a lot of people and overrated to a lot of people

LTBaByyy
01-10-2014, 08:04 PM
All spurs fans know, that outside of Shaq, Amare in his prime may have been the hardest player for the Spurs to deal with on any of there championship runs.

Dirk says hi. Spurs could have had 2 more championships if it wasn't for Dirk

At the same time Mavs could have had 2 more championships if it wasn't for Duncan

Chronz
01-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Blake Griffin is the new Stoudemire

He is the perfect comparison, skill wise and athletic wise.

They will always be underrated to a lot of people and overrated to a lot of people

Perfect comparison, no. Closest comparison, prolly.

SPURSFAN1
01-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Perfect comparison, no. Closest comparison, prolly.

Amare has big hands though. It always seems to me that blake has to pocket the ball on his wrist.

leprechaun5
01-10-2014, 09:02 PM
And neither does Love...you realize that don't you?

Amare was a better defender than Love is.

That was my point when i suggested he dissed him .I wasn't trying to take anything away from Amar'e.

blahblahyoutoo
01-10-2014, 10:02 PM

has no bearing on his skill as an individual so I fail to see your point.

blahblahyoutoo
01-10-2014, 10:39 PM
Not true one bit.

the only thing amare was better at was his athleticism, which is gone now.
both are subpar defenders but love has a better shot, MUCH better rebounder, better 3, better passer.

John Walls Era
01-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Not sure if it was a diss, but I agree if its a diss.

ewing
01-11-2014, 11:30 AM

Amare also scored in bunches with Shaq next to him

kdspurman
01-11-2014, 12:44 PM
The thread title was mis-leading. (changed it to properly reflect what he said/meant) Pop said "he's OUR new Amare" not "The new Amare" strictly referring to the success he's had against the Spurs. Some of you guys are reading way too much into it like several of us have been saying.

Chronz
01-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Amare also scored in bunches with Shaq next to him

Thats the part that had me questioning myself but the bunches seemed alot less explosive. His first full year with Shaq was one of the lowest statistically, both in terms of usage and efficiency. As soon as Shaq left, he was again a better offensive weapon so its not like he was declining. He was still more efficient than Blake has ever been but it did seem to make a difference, and I want to say his jumper was how he did more of his damage when Shaq was around (not attacking lanes). But I remember those days pretty clearly and this is one instance where the stats need more context.

It wasn't that Shaq was in his way, its that he had a coach that tried to turn the team into something they weren't. The Suns under Mike D and Gentry were just as fast with Shaq as they were in their glory days.

So I decided to look at the splits under different regimes.

His first stint with Shaq, Amare actually saw his production increase alongside Shaq vs with Marion. Both scoring rate and efficiency wise.

The next year his stats were the same whether Shaq was in or not, hinting at a very minor influence one way or another.

I remember Amare saying something about being able to play with Shaq just fine when the trade rumors surfaced that he might be joining him in Cleveland.

But still, thats Shaq, even an old Shaq was a decent passer and had to be accounted for much more than a guy like DJ.

FlashBolt
01-12-2014, 05:30 AM
I feel bad for Love. He's a great person and all but he's not getting help over there. Not much consistency other than Pek and of course Rubio has been a tragic disappointment. You would think if he developed a shot like Nash, they would be a top 5 team for sure. Man, prime Nash or Rondo on this squad would be insane.