PDA

View Full Version : Wow... Woj dropping bombs on Smith's character

lpdunks8
01-10-2014, 02:22 AM
"He can make it sound so sincere, but the con never ends. J.R. Smith was raised in a suburban, middle-class home with two good parents and access to an excellent education. He had a tremendous high school coaching mentor Dan Hurley at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, N.J. and he has long been taught the difference of right and wrong. Smith's always loved to play the part of a tough city kid, but truth be told, he's a soft, spoiled suburban jump shooter."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/knicks-bench-j-r--smith--but-nba-s-clown-prince-will-be-back-soon-enough-055612473.html

Kenny
01-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Woj is great at getting scoop, but his opinion pieces are usually way too personal.

KniCks4LiFe
01-10-2014, 02:48 AM
those aren't bombs, those atomic storms :ouch:

TrueFan420
01-10-2014, 02:49 AM
This guys a gangsta
His real names Clarence
And Clarence lives at home with both parents
And Clarence parents have a real good marriage
This guy don't wanna battle he's shook
Cause ain't no such thing as half way crooks

sunsfan88
01-10-2014, 02:50 AM
Accurate imo.

Blitzace137
01-10-2014, 02:59 AM
Damn, Woj went in on JR

UPRock
01-10-2014, 03:00 AM
Wow Lolol 20 jabs to the face.

DreamShaker
01-10-2014, 03:15 AM
Really mean-spirited article. Not saying it has no truth to it, but I don't buy into J.R. Smith being totally unable to ever turn his life or career around. I have known people worse than him that have done it. All hope is not lost. But obviously something drastic must happen.

KniCks4LiFe
01-10-2014, 03:17 AM
Wow Lolol 20 jabs to the face.

Ali style or Sugar Ray on Floyd senior?

GunFactor187
01-10-2014, 03:18 AM
My love for Woj just went through the roof after reading that lambasting article. Definitely a piece that needed to be written cuz there definitely are more guys that are those "fake tough thug" characters and is one of the things that puts people off about the NBA. It's something that needed to be addressed and thank God there was a voice in Woj to make that be heard.

ESaady
01-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Right for the jugular. That was fun to read.

Riodagoat
01-10-2014, 03:31 AM
It was brutal, but true. You'd have to be naive to not agree with him to some degree, at least.

NoahH
01-10-2014, 03:35 AM
LMAO!!!! :laugh:

IgglesFanInCO
01-10-2014, 03:45 AM
brutal

and so true

DreamShaker
01-10-2014, 03:55 AM
What's gotta be harsh for JR Smith is that he knows, or at least had one open conversation quoted here, with the dude who wrote this. This is why I could never be a sportswriter.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 04:03 AM
Don't understand what woj was Tryna prove by writing this article? He went @ him personally wich is unessasary and childish. Woj takes the L in this one. Woj is tellin us stuff a lot of us already kno... JR Smith isn't a gangster? This shouldn't be news to anybody, real gangsters don't finish HS, real gangsters don't go to private schools, or college. And if people wanna call him a "fake thug" or a "fake G" you're just as ignorant as woj.

All this backlash over untying someone's shoes? This is ridiculous... Like I said in the NYK forum, JR is out there having fun. That's a big part of the game, does anyone remember when Wade threw Bibbys shoes outta bounds? Or when Amar'e pretended to help up Battier then moved his hand. How is this any different? If it was KG, or Someone else doin this it would be a great veteran move.

BRICKCITYPIMP12
01-10-2014, 04:16 AM
shout outs to the brickz....BRICKCITY!!!!!

meloman1592
01-10-2014, 04:23 AM
Jr smith definitely deserves bashing. But this was a personal shot. Woj took it too far and the only reason people in here are supporting the way it was written is because it's jr smith. Untying shoes should not bring this out of a sportswriter. I've seen people with much worse problems turn their life around and woj makes it sound like jr is done for and has no future

tredigs
01-10-2014, 04:34 AM
I don't care for JR and even though it has merit, Woj will probably regret writing this. Feels more like an elaborate PSD rant.

albertajaysfan
01-10-2014, 04:37 AM
Jr smith definitely deserves bashing. But this was a personal shot. Woj took it too far and the only reason people in here are supporting the way it was written is because it's jr smith. Untying shoes should not bring this out of a sportswriter. I've seen people with much worse problems turn their life around and woj makes it sound like jr is done for and has no future

The point is that he doesn't have problems, he creates them because they aren't actually there. I grew up working my tail off so that I could hang with the rich kids riding horses. Why did I do this, because I love the animals. I saw so many rich kids invent problems so they could rebel. JR has never grown out of that phase.

JR's behaviour is a slap in the face for people who have overcome real problems in their life.

Blackification
01-10-2014, 04:50 AM
I don't care for JR and even though it has merit, Woj will probably regret writing this. Feels more like an elaborate PSD rant.

Yea right there is not way he is going to regret this one, he is going to get so many hits off of this article, just wait until JR responds

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-10-2014, 05:03 AM
Don't understand what woj was Tryna prove by writing this article? He went @ him personally wich is unessasary and childish. Woj takes the L in this one. Woj is tellin us stuff a lot of us already kno... JR Smith isn't a gangster? This shouldn't be news to anybody, real gangsters don't finish HS, real gangsters don't go to private schools, or college. And if people wanna call him a "fake thug" or a "fake G" you're just as ignorant as woj.

All this backlash over untying someone's shoes? This is ridiculous... Like I said in the NYK forum, JR is out there having fun. That's a big part of the game, does anyone remember when Wade threw Bibbys shoes outta bounds? Or when Amar'e pretended to help up Battier then moved his hand. How is this any different? If it was KG, or Someone else doin this it would be a great veteran move.

dumbest thing I have read

Drummond#1
01-10-2014, 05:23 AM
I don't get why people pretend to be pieces of ****. I know plenty of good people who grew up in Detroit, Compton, Houston, and they try to distance themselves from the stupid "thug" stereotypes that this idiot is trying to project. Woj is "tryna" prove that JR is an insecure waste of a pulse.

John Walls Era
01-10-2014, 06:13 AM
I actually didn't know Smith grew up in a complete family... which is ****ed up because most of the NBA players that do [and don't] handle themselves accordingly. Smith is a fool.

John Walls Era
01-10-2014, 06:17 AM
Woj burned the bridge with JR Smith. Smith got upset that the knicks cut his crappy brother who can't play a lick. Hes going to be very angry with this article if he reads it. Obviously the soft spoiled suburban jump shooter won't really do anything about it.

rex.reyesiii
01-10-2014, 06:27 AM
My view regarding JR. changed after that car accident, where his friend that was with him died.
Good thing they did not end up like Rodas and Walker.

Here's to hoping JR. still change for the better...

RiceOnTheRun
01-10-2014, 07:32 AM

I don't know if you're a Knicks fan, but the shoe was more like the last straw.

From the infamous ****-talk he pulled off in that series against the Celtics, to his in-effectiveness against the Pacers, to his reverting back to stupidity this season, to his worthless waste-of-a-spot brother, to killing us in that Rockets game, to the shoe lace thing, to trying to pull the same **** again AFTER an NBA warning, to admitting it on twitter. Yeah sure, he's having his fun, but it's at our expense and quite frankly, it's getting pretty ****ing tiresome.

You're correct, Woj basically went out there and said what we all knew. It's about damn time someone in the media said it too. There's always this tiptoe-ing and gentleness with it, but someone finally said what needed to be said. Hopefully, JR can learn from this because he's a solid piece when he doesn't act like a piece of trash. If not, I think tonight proved more than enough that our other guards can fill in just as well.

GiantsSwaGG
01-10-2014, 07:39 AM
What he really meant to say...
"JR, You ain't about that life son"

ModernDaySavage
01-10-2014, 08:18 AM
So highly educated and two good parents = soft? That's news to me, I guess any person who is an idiot without a mother/father automatically gets a stat boost to toughness and fighting. Glad to see us evolving as a species.

PurpleLynch
01-10-2014, 08:46 AM

I'd say Sugar Ray on Floyd senior.

NYKnickFanatic
01-10-2014, 09:08 AM
LMAO!!!! :laugh:

I bet you didn't even read it.

NYKnickFanatic
01-10-2014, 09:08 AM
Nice job by Woj. Hope JR sees it and wakes the **** up already.

LongIslandIcedZ
01-10-2014, 09:33 AM
Guy has the natural ability to be a major player in this league.

He's just so dumb

GiantsSwaGG
01-10-2014, 10:01 AM

It would if been funny if he was like

"Yo Instagram is a lair"

koreancabbage
01-10-2014, 10:50 AM
lol @ the people protecting JR Smith.

he needs to grow up and be a professional. 28 years old and acting like the way he does - he would not have a real world career job.

He SHOULD be called out more often by his teammates. I'm surprised Melo hasn't sat him down or called him out for his antics, like a real franchise player would.

SlimKid
01-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Smith is an idiot, but Woj just went all Harvey Levin TMZ style. This article reflects just as poorly on Woj as it does that nuckle-head Smith.

MonroeFAN
01-10-2014, 11:00 AM
What is keeping JR from ****ing his fat *** up?

NYKnickFanatic
01-10-2014, 11:01 AM

he needs to grow up and be a professional. 28 years old and acting like the way he does - he would not have a real world career job.

He SHOULD be called out more often by his teammates. I'm surprised Melo hasn't sat him down or called him out for his antics, like a real franchise player would.

So quick to attack Melo.

“I had a heart-to-heart with him,” Anthony said Thursday at the Tools for Teachers Initiative in Brooklyn, an event involving his foundation and a real estate development company where school supplies were distributed to over 100 teachers from all five boroughs. “I had a talk that two men should have. We had that conversation. It seemed like he took heed to what I was saying, so we shall see….

“The time is now,” Anthony said. “You’ve got to want to help yourself. Everybody else wants to help you, but if you don’t want to help yourself, then that’s defeating the purpose.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/25/melo-says-he-had-heart-to-heart-talk-with-j-r-smith/

NYKnickFanatic
01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
What is keeping JR from ****ing his fat *** up?

They're friends. :)

LongIslandIcedZ
01-10-2014, 11:14 AM

How do you know he's not being called out by teammates?

koreancabbage
01-10-2014, 11:17 AM
So quick to attack Melo.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/25/melo-says-he-had-heart-to-heart-talk-with-j-r-smith/

How do you know he's not being called out by teammates?

good for Melo then. I mean this has gone on for too long. Glad he's taking up his mantle and leading the troops.

MonroeFAN
01-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Not Melo, Woj... what is preventing JR from going absolutely ape **** on him after reading this?

If we're talking about the same thing then my bad.

Drummond#1
01-10-2014, 11:29 AM
I got Woj over JR in a fight. He's got a lower center of gravity and I've never known a jump shooter from the suburbs who could throw down.

Drummond#1
01-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Also... JR probably has some other low self esteem fake thugs from the suburbs that he would pay to tighten up Woj.

IndyRealist
01-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Really mean-spirited article. Not saying it has no truth to it, but I don't buy into J.R. Smith being totally unable to ever turn his life or career around. I have known people worse than him that have done it. All hope is not lost. But obviously something drastic must happen.

The point is he's 28 and on a 3yr deal. He's probably out of the league after this, unless someone is really desparate. I don't think Woj is saying he'll NEVER turn his life around, but he's career is basically done and if China was any indication, he has no money saved. He won't be able to maintain his lifestyle and will likely have to be working again before he's 40.

IndyRealist
01-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Not Melo, Woj... what is preventing JR from going absolutely ape **** on him after reading this?

Other than the fact that he's a soft, suburban jump shooter? :horse:

MonroeFAN
01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
You realize you're making fun of yourself there, right? You're the one who has said the same thing numerous other users have said in this topic, and you're the one beating the dead horse.

:clap:

NYKnickFanatic
01-10-2014, 11:58 AM

I was talking about Woj, not Melo. Lol

But seriously, JR going to attack a reporter? No way. It's the media, they will always write their stories. You know what you're getting yourself into, when you play in the NBA.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 12:20 PM
dumbest thing I have read

Care to explain why?

MonroeFAN
01-10-2014, 12:28 PM
I was talking about Woj, not Melo. Lol

But seriously, JR going to attack a reporter? No way. It's the media, they will always write their stories. You know what you're getting yourself into, when you play in the NBA.

To hell with logic good sir.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't know if you're a Knicks fan, but the shoe was more like the last straw.

From the infamous ****-talk he pulled off in that series against the Celtics, to his in-effectiveness against the Pacers, to his reverting back to stupidity this season, to his worthless waste-of-a-spot brother, to killing us in that Rockets game, to the shoe lace thing, to trying to pull the same **** again AFTER an NBA warning, to admitting it on twitter. Yeah sure, he's having his fun, but it's at our expense and quite frankly, it's getting pretty ****ing tiresome.

You're correct, Woj basically went out there and said what we all knew. It's about damn time someone in the media said it too. There's always this tiptoe-ing and gentleness with it, but someone finally said what needed to be said. Hopefully, JR can learn from this because he's a solid piece when he doesn't act like a piece of trash. If not, I think tonight proved more than enough that our other guards can fill in just as well.

The only thing I think is stupid, is that JR didn't listen to Coach Woodson after he was asked to stop. Like I said, if this was anybody else, everyone would be laughing and talkin about how clever of a move it was.

koreancabbage
01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
The only thing I think is stupid, is that JR didn't listen to Coach Woodson after he was asked to stop. Like I said, if this was anybody else, everyone would be laughing and talkin about how clever of a move it was.

would they? i think its a douche move by anyone. not just JR Smith. thats pretty much unprofessional. you just assume everyone will agree with your opinion on this matter. not so much. Its just blown out of proportion because it adds to the character issues JR Smith has - but regardless it is still a douche move.

and people would laugh at it as well. but doesn't mean we think it would be a clever move by anyone.

Ebbs
01-10-2014, 12:39 PM
He's not wrong but he's out of line.

J.R. is a clown everyone knows this. However he isn't god I don't care about his clear and personal vendetta. He didn't include one basketball related statistic. He's a ball columnist. . . I dislike J.R. as well and there are plenty of reasons to dislike him but you should at least back that up with on court information.

I.E.

So let’s start with the poster boy for today’s Brick City. Let’s talk about J.R. Smith. I know there are people out there who are clinging to the hope that Smith is just in a slump and really can be a productive number two option behind Carmelo Anthony; those people are mistaken. Smith is going to be our model chucker because nobody chucks like Smith. He’s successfully killing the Knicks one contested jumper at a time.

Let’s start with some horrifying numbers, seriously brace yourselves.

Eighty-two players in the NBA attempt 11.5 or more field goal attempts per a game. Of those 82 players, 10 individuals shoot below 40 percent from the field. The list includes, in order, from best to worst: Jameer Nelson, Brandon Jennings, Victor Oladipo, Gordon Hayward, O.J. Mayo, Trey Burke, Brandon Knight, Caron Butler, Derrick Rose (who only played 10 games), and you guessed it, J.R. Smith. Of the 82-man list, Smith comes dead last in field goal percentage, shooting a measly 35 percent from the field.

Twenty-four players in the NBA this season attempt five or more three-pointers a game. Of the 24 players, Smith comes 20th in converting those attempts, shooting 35 percent from deep.

Fifty guards or wings in the NBA take ten shots and play over 30 minutes a game this season. Smith ranks 45th amongst those players in total free throw attempts, meaning that Smith rarely exerts himself and gets to the line for easy points. When Smith does get to the charity stripe, a crummy 1.7 times a game, he shoots a disturbingly low 60 percent. That percantage ranks him 49th of the mentioned 50 players. Only Andre Iguodala is worse from the free throw line this season.

For reference, Dwight Howard, one of the league’s most belittled free throw shooters, shot 60 percent from the line in December. The league’s premier center shot an equal percentage from the free throw line with a shooting guard who believes he should take 6.4 three pointers a game.

The overall findings of my research? Smith takes too many shots, doesn’t shoot efficiently by league standards anywhere on the court, and doesn’t capitalize on easy points. Each and every time Smith steps on the court he’s costing the New York Knicks a chance at winning a basketball game.

Smith has 303 points on 316 shot attempts this season.

full article: http://dimemag.com/2013/12/please-dont-shoot-10-nba-players-shoot-much/#sthash.VKkcHowZ.dpuf

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
would they? i think its a douche move by anyone. not just JR Smith. thats pretty much unprofessional. you just assume everyone will agree with your opinion on this matter. not so much. Its just blown out of proportion because it adds to the character issues JR Smith has - but regardless it is still a douche move.

and people would laugh at it as well. but doesn't mean we think it would be a clever move by anyone.

And Dwyane Wade throwing Bibby's shoe outta bounds isn't a douche move?

Character issues???? HE UNTIED SOMEONES SHOE!!! :laugh2:

Sadds The Gr8
01-10-2014, 01:10 PM

that's not the point genius...it's the fact that he was warned about it, and acted like he was gonna do it again the day after. I think the fine was way too much but it doesn't stop the fact that JR Smith is a complete dumb ****.

The guy isn't some young 20 year old 2nd year player...the guy is a grown *** 28 year old man. The first time might be cute and funny but you'd think he'd get a ****in clue after he was warned.

kdspurman
01-10-2014, 01:24 PM

I said the same about guys throwing shoes out of bounds, and nothing happened in those scenarios.. It's happened a couple times after Wade did it too. The only thing I can guess is the league warned him and he tried to show them up by doing it again.

But it just goes to show the league is very inconsistent with their punishments and they pick and choose who to make examples out of.

COOLbeans
01-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Suburban jump shooter.

NYKnickFanatic
01-10-2014, 01:38 PM
I said the same about guys throwing shoes out of bounds, and nothing happened in those scenarios.. It's happened a couple times after Wade did it too. The only thing I can guess is the league warned him and he tried to show them up by doing it again.

But it just goes to show the league is very inconsistent with their punishments and they pick and choose who to make examples out of.

According to someone on PSD, a loose shoe on the court is a 'safety hazard.' I can agree with that, but the time Wade threw Bibby's shoe off the court, no one was around.

kdspurman
01-10-2014, 01:54 PM
According to someone on PSD, a loose shoe on the court is a 'safety hazard.' I can agree with that, but the time Wade threw Bibby's shoe off the court, no one was around.

Yea it's totally a safety hazard but I thought he was fined for "unsportsmanlike conduct". Throwing someone's shoe away is giving you/your team an advantage. Jarrett Jack did it last year too. A guy could slip with one shoe, or get stepped on, etc... I'm not arguing Smith shouldn't have been fined, I'm just stating the league needs to be more consistent with their judgement calls/warnings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM_9bJtWkUM#t=18

NYKnickFanatic
01-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Yea it's totally a safety hazard but I thought he was fined for "unsportsmanlike conduct". Throwing someone's shoe away is giving you/your team an advantage. Jarrett Jack did it last year too. A guy could slip with one shoe, or get stepped on, etc... I'm not arguing Smith shouldn't have been fined, I'm just stating the league needs to be more consistent with their judgement calls/warnings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM_9bJtWkUM#t=18

Agreed and yes he should have been fined, but 50K?! That's a little bit too much, IMO.

kdspurman
01-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Agreed and yes he should have been fined, but 50K?! That's a little bit too much, IMO.

Very steep... But because the league felt like they were being shown up by him they wanted to make an example. Just look @ what they did to the Spurs when they didn't play their guys.

koreancabbage
01-10-2014, 02:23 PM

it was - i didn't say it wasn't. and it was funny.

KniCks4LiFe
01-10-2014, 02:25 PM
It would if been funny if he was like

"Yo Instagram is a lair"

:laugh:

mudvayne387
01-10-2014, 02:27 PM
The point is that he doesn't have problems, he creates them because they aren't actually there. I grew up working my tail off so that I could hang with the rich kids riding horses. Why did I do this, because I love the animals. I saw so many rich kids invent problems so they could rebel. JR has never grown out of that phase.

JR's behaviour is a slap in the face for people who have overcome real problems in their life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONyAv1HWDo0

KniCks4LiFe
01-10-2014, 02:29 PM
homie doesn't care

http://i41.tinypic.com/2jeoard.jpg

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 03:50 PM
that's not the point genius...it's the fact that he was warned about it, and acted like he was gonna do it again the day after. I think the fine was way too much but it doesn't stop the fact that JR Smith is a complete dumb ****.

The guy isn't some young 20 year old 2nd year player...the guy is a grown *** 28 year old man. The first time might be cute and funny but you'd think he'd get a ****in clue after he was warned.

Ok, dumba55, If you paid any attention to what I wrote, you woulda seen that I said, I didn't like the fact that he didn't listen to his Coach, but It's not a huge deal to begin with. HE UNTIED SOMEONES SHOE!!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 03:53 PM

This is my point exactly, but because it's JR Smith, suddenly it's an issue.

IndyRealist
01-10-2014, 03:53 PM
You realize you're making fun of yourself there, right? You're the one who has said the same thing numerous other users have said in this topic, and you're the one beating the dead horse.

:clap:

Give the man a prize for being master of the obvious! It's a joke, man.

Sadds The Gr8
01-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Ok, dumba55, If you paid any attention to what I wrote, you woulda seen that I said, I didn't like the fact that he didn't listen to his Coach, but It's not a huge deal to begin with. HE UNTIED SOMEONES SHOE!!

ok idiot, it is a big deal when you combine it with the fact that he's almost been fined $1million throughout his career and was suspended for the first 5 games of this year. And to top it all off, he's a complete negative on his team and is having the worst season of his career. The guy is 28...it's a joke that you're willing to give this moron a pass but you're a homer so that comes as no surprise.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Next people are gonna complain that Zach Randolph's farts are too stinky, and it's unsportsmanlike.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 04:06 PM
ok idiot, it is a big deal when you combine it with the fact that he's almost been fined $1million throughout his career and was suspended for the first 5 games of this year. The guy is 28...it's a joke that you're willing to give this moron a pass but you're a homer so that comes as no surprise.

It's funny cuz you're more upset about this then I am :laugh:

If you already know I'ma homer, then act like you know. And STFU.

Sadds The Gr8
01-10-2014, 04:09 PM
It's funny cuz you're more upset about this then I am :laugh:

If you already know I'ma homer, then act like you know. And STFU.

Why on earth would I be mad about JR Smith? I'm glad he's playing like crap and dragging his team down...it helps my team win the division. If you wanna support the clown bringing your team down, be my guest.

Goose17
01-10-2014, 04:13 PM
LMAO!!

Best part is, it's true.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Why on earth would I be mad about JR Smith? I'm glad he's playing like crap and dragging his team down...it helps my team win the division. If you wanna support the clown bringing your team down, be my guest.

(Lol what do you wanna bet that Toronto doesn't win that Division?)

You're bringing up separate topics let me try to keep up...

Tying shoes, isn't dragging the Knicks down. Him smoking weed isn't dragging us down. I can't say the first 5 games of the season woulda turned out any different had he been playing.

JR Smith didn't just start getting high... He was doing coke and smoking weed all last season and had the best season of his career. If the Knicks were 29-2, or not JR Smith like Shaq said, this would be a non issue. And that's the point I'm tryna make. The league and y'all are inconsistent.

Asik's better
01-10-2014, 04:21 PM

This

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 04:22 PM
This

I agree. JR should be respectful, and listen to Coach Woodson, but the initial reason we're having this conversation in the first place is due to untying shoelaces, and that to me ridiculous.

Sadds The Gr8
01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
(Lol what do you wanna bet that Toronto doesn't win that Division?)

You're bringing up separate topics let me try to keep up...

Tying shoes, isn't dragging the Knicks down. Him smoking weed isn't dragging us down. I can't say the first 5 games of the season woulda turned out any different had he been playing.

JR Smith didn't just start getting high... He was doing coke and smoking weed all last season and had the best season of his career. If the Knicks were 29-2, or not JR Smith like Shaq said, this would be a non issue. And that's the point I'm tryna make. The league and y'all are inconsistent.

(I never said we'd win the division I said it's helping us right now. There's still the possibility of a Lowry trade so making a bet right now would be dumb when we can still tank. Come talk to me in a month after the all-star break)

obviously that off court stuff doesn't bring the Knicks down, it's the horrible play on top of the dumb **** he does which was my point the entire time.

D-Leethal
01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
I agree with the fine but Woj crossed the line big time with this article. Attack the player not the person. Bringing up stuff like his childhood upbringing and the car accident that killed his friend to attack his character?

Is Paul Walker a crappy person too?

Unprofessional, poor journalism.

ManRam
01-10-2014, 04:28 PM

Woj is great, but from time to time he will drop these very harsh character assassinations...and on occasion he's gotten very credible and fair backlash for it. He's been called petty by multiple people in the business, so who knows. I don't think he'd ever sit here and make stuff up, but it does seem like he's frequently ready to make a mountain out of something when the molehill pops up.

Smith obviously is a clown...but some of this just felt weird to me. I don't mind speaking out about tangible happenings, but some of this seems like just excessive character assassinating. The whole suburban background to fake/soft NBA tough guy felt a bit weird. Who cares? People from all walks of life turn out to be all sorts of things.

LTBaByyy
01-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Well the dudes name is Earl Joseph Smith lol

He trying to be like New New off ATL

D-Leethal
01-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Woj is great, but from time to time he will drop these very harsh character assassinations...and on occasion he's gotten very credible and fair backlash for it. He's been called petty by multiple people in the business, so who knows. I don't think he'd ever sit here and make stuff up, but it does seem like he's frequently ready to make a mountain out of something when the molehill pops up.

Smith obviously is a clown...but some of this just felt weird to me. I don't mind speaking out about tangible happenings, but some of this seems like just excessive character assassinating. The whole suburban background to fake/soft NBA tough guy felt a bit weird. Who cares? People from all walks of life turn out to be all sorts of things.

Agree. Not to mention the car accident that killed his friend. Thats not something anyone should ever have the right to use as journalistic ammo against a person's character. People drive fast, that doesn't make you a bad person.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 05:01 PM

I completely agree. It just seem's unfair too attack a basketball player on some non basketball issues. Talk about his bad play, your a sports journalist, leave this about sports, him being a fake thug, Like D Leethal said, talkin about him killing his friend, and attacking his character is out of line. I'll talk down on Woj about his journalism, I'm not gonna start saying his wife is a hoodrat, and his kids are ugly. You know what I mean?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-10-2014, 05:03 PM
(I never said we'd win the division I said it's helping us right now. There's still the possibility of a Lowry trade so making a bet right now would be dumb when we can still tank. Come talk to me in a month after the all-star break)

obviously that off court stuff doesn't bring the Knicks down, it's the horrible play on top of the dumb **** he does which was my point the entire time.

I bet if Andrew Luck was to untie Aquib Talib's cleat tomorrow, you'd think it was sooo funny.

AddiX
01-10-2014, 05:36 PM
I've never seen woj go at a player in such a personal way. I'm happy he did it, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone out him up to it, in hopes it wakes JR up.

Dude called him a soft suburban jump shooter.

Damn man....

ManRam
01-10-2014, 05:45 PM
I've never seen woj go at a player in such a personal way. I'm happy he did it, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone out him up to it, in hopes it wakes JR up.

Dude called him a soft suburban jump shooter.

Damn man....

Eh...it's not the first time. His opinion pieces are often full of vitriol.

He had a horrible piece on LeBron when he left...that even a lot of people mad at LeBron at the time ripped into him for writing. It was poorly written, full of rehashed "information" and just personal and unprofessional ranting and cheap shotting. It was a long time coming, as Woj frequently had wrote excessively disparaging things on LeBron that even people at Yahoo cited as being unprofessional.

He ripped into the Magic (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/magic-only-tease-east-finals-071800690--nba.html) after they lost into the Celtics. He bashed them for coming out and fighting to not get swept essentially. I mean, was that journalism or just NickyDimez-esque PSD ranting?

http://deadspin.com/5811311/every-overwrought-thing-adrian-wojnarowski-has-said-about-lebron-james

He tore Kevin Pritchard (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-free-agencys-winners-losers-165600365--nba.html) apart in the past for little reason.

The list goes on and on...and I would go on and on if I weren't leaving work.

He had a reputation before he started breaking HUGE news regularly as being one of the worst writers in the sport. He was named Sports Media Watch's "Worst of Sports Media" in 2010.

jmoney85
01-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I grew up with JR smith... he's not tough at all lol

Asik's better
01-10-2014, 09:31 PM
I agree. JR should be respectful, and listen to Coach Woodson, but the initial reason we're having this conversation in the first place is due to untying shoelaces, and that to me ridiculous.

No, it's a tipping point. It's accumulation of jr smith acting like a 16 year old when he is now 28. And now jr smith can't hide behind the fact that he is playing crap. If your going act like a child and be a distraction off court then at least play well.

I'm glad Woj wrote this article. For far to long jr smith has been babied and defended and now he needs a huge kick up the backside.

Blitzace137
01-10-2014, 09:46 PM
I agree with the fine but Woj crossed the line big time with this article. Attack the player not the person. Bringing up stuff like his childhood upbringing and the car accident that killed his friend to attack his character?

Is Paul Walker a crappy person too?

Unprofessional, poor journalism.

Why would Paul Walker be considered a crappy person? He wasn't driving the car when it crashed. I mean the guy lost his life during a charity event. As for JR I think Woj seems to be tired of JR' antics as a writer. He brought up the crash in his interview with JR saying he's gonna change, and the fact that he hasn't changed is what seems to be Woj's breaking point as a writer. The crash was taking it too far, Running up the bill in China was enough to show JR is a immature man child.

J4KOP99
01-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Shots get fired, in my environment

5ass
01-10-2014, 09:59 PM
wowoweewa

J4KOP99
01-10-2014, 09:59 PM
A little play on a nas lyric

Hulk6
01-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Jr would knock the **** outta woj

Kushed
01-11-2014, 01:20 AM
He's trying to wake JR up. Some of you questioning whether or not he should have wrote this, well you're going to sit face to face to somebody after your friend dies and you got out of prison and tell him you've matured and grown up yet you still act like this fool? It's pathetic and the only one who should feel like a spud here is JR.

Some people just never realize how fortunate they have it...

Kushed
01-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Jr would knock the **** outta woj

What the **** does this have to do with anything? Cause someone from the suburbs can't fight right lol

John Walls Era
01-11-2014, 01:56 AM
So did Smith actually grow up in a decent family? Because the way he acts doesn't show it.

MrfadeawayJB
01-11-2014, 02:28 AM
This guys a gangsta
His real names Clarence
And Clarence lives at home with both parents
And Clarence parents have a real good marriage
This guy don't wanna battle he's shook
Cause ain't no such thing as half way crooks

Lmao I was about to say this article reminded me of eminem (woj) in 8 mile destroying poppa doc (jr smith)

Drummond#1
01-11-2014, 03:23 AM
You can't smoke crack and win JR. Put the pipe down.He's like the Doc Gooden of basketball. What a waste.

Drummond#1
01-11-2014, 03:28 AM
There should be a GOAT list for crackheads:

NFL- Lawrence Taylor
MLB- Gooden/Strawberry
NBA- JR, Marbury, Steve Francis

Wait a minute. Holy **** I cracked the code. New York turns star athletes into crack abusers! I think I know where Lamar Odom will be signing next. Going home to Queens.

HeaTxRipZz
01-11-2014, 03:37 AM
There should be a GOAT list for crackheads:

NFL- Lawrence Taylor
MLB- Gooden/Strawberry
NBA- JR, Marbury, Steve Francis

Wait a minute. Holy **** I cracked the code. New York turns star athletes into crack abusers! I think I know where Lamar Odom will be signing next.

Seeing as JR has been known to smoke weed and not crack. Never heard such a thing about Marbury either to be honest

shep33
01-11-2014, 03:38 AM
Outside of DeMarcus, Earl is the most entertaining player in the NBA. Not in a good way obviously.

Drummond#1
01-11-2014, 03:44 AM
Seeing as JR has been known to smoke weed and not crack. Never heard such a thing about Marbury either to be honest

The rumor I heard is crack:

http://fullcourtpumps.com/2013/05/blind-item-was-jr-smiths-bad-poor-performance-due-to-a-new-drug-habit/

http://ibnsportswrap.com/article.php?articleID=760

HeaTxRipZz
01-11-2014, 03:51 AM
The rumor I heard is crack:

http://fullcourtpumps.com/2013/05/blind-item-was-jr-smiths-bad-poor-performance-due-to-a-new-drug-habit/

http://ibnsportswrap.com/article.php?articleID=760

I wouldn't even listen to anything incarcerated bob has to say. That other site I've never heard of personally. All of the reputable sites said he was suspended for pot use. First I'm ever hearing about Crack and to be honest you would be able to tell a difference if he was. It would be night and day.

All in all dude needs to stop being such an idiot and get his act together. There's no reason he shouldn't be a great consistent sixth man in this league. I understand he likes to joke and play around but christ, you would think he would be able to pull it together when it's time to perform at work. These guys are getting paid MILLIONS and some are having issues with following orders and performing accordingly? I get paid $1500 a week and I know if I didn't get my job done like I was asked or broke rules numerous times I would be fired immediately. These guys get paid a helluva lot more and are virtually protected. I don't agree with the tactics Woj used in this article at all BUT JR really needs to wake up it's sad

Drummond#1
01-11-2014, 03:53 AM
I remember when JR Smith was offered to Detroit for Flip Murray. And Joe D promptly turned it down.

ohreally
01-11-2014, 04:25 AM
I have to admit, I never knew you couldn't be a "thug" unless you were from an inner city or a certain economic class. Truth be told, I think that's a bit prejudiced against poorer inner city folks. I mean, I know that poorer inner city thugs choose to believe the same thing in most cases, but that's another story. So, yeah, I think Woj is being a d...k in a number of ways. Never mind that I would never really describe JR's demeanor as being a thug anyway. More sort of a blend of punk, moron, and rebel. And he revels in it.

It's actually a redeeming thing about him, because as big an a.. that JR is, as stupid as he can be in so many different ways, he owns it. I don't really think he's being phony at all. He brings what he brings, he is what he is, and you can take him or leave him and he doesn't care (though of course he will). It's not very sound life planning, but then he's not really alone on that score.

As a ball player he is unprofessional, he is often infuriating, but his talent comes through at times. Take him or leave him. If you leave him he'll only be convinced that's your problem. Again, not smart, but not unique.

I don't want to defend his being an a.., but in a number of ways he seems like he's probably a nice guy. And he does seem to have been singled out by the league. I guess the league and the Knicks are trying to teach him a lesson. I don't expect they'll be very successful. And as poorly as he's been playing, the Knicks seem to have had better reasons to bench him well before this.

Knicks21
01-11-2014, 04:59 AM
What gives woj the right to talk about someone in this manner? Honestly that passage says a lot more about woj than it does smith.

Knicks21
01-11-2014, 05:01 AM
He's trying to wake JR up. Some of you questioning whether or not he should have wrote this, well you're going to sit face to face to somebody after your friend dies and you got out of prison and tell him you've matured and grown up yet you still act like this fool? It's pathetic and the only one who should feel like a spud here is JR.

Some people just never realize how fortunate they have it...

Because JR gives a **** about what woj thinks. Its just plain rude and out of line.

Knicks21
01-11-2014, 05:09 AM
homie doesn't care

http://i41.tinypic.com/2jeoard.jpg

Melo has done that several times, same with Amare.

Kushed
01-11-2014, 05:12 AM
Because JR gives a **** about what woj thinks. Its just plain rude and out of line.

He probably doesn't. But Woj is a writer. This is what he does. He writes stories. This is nothing but the truth.

Knicks21
01-11-2014, 05:13 AM
Running on socks is even worse.

D-Leethal
01-11-2014, 06:42 AM
I have to admit, I never knew you couldn't be a "thug" unless you were from an inner city or a certain economic class. Truth be told, I think that's a bit prejudiced against poorer inner city folks. I mean, I know that poorer inner city thugs choose to believe the same thing in most cases, but that's another story. So, yeah, I think Woj is being a d...k in a number of ways. Never mind that I would never really describe JR's demeanor as being a thug anyway. More sort of a blend of punk, moron, and rebel. And he revels in it.

It's actually a redeeming thing about him, because as big an a.. that JR is, as stupid as he can be in so many different ways, he owns it. I don't really think he's being phony at all. He brings what he brings, he is what he is, and you can take him or leave him and he doesn't care (though of course he will). It's not very sound life planning, but then he's not really alone on that score.

As a ball player he is unprofessional, he is often infuriating, but his talent comes through at times. Take him or leave him. If you leave him he'll only be convinced that's your problem. Again, not smart, but not unique.

I don't want to defend his being an a.., but in a number of ways he seems like he's probably a nice guy. And he does seem to have been singled out by the league. I guess the league and the Knicks are trying to teach him a lesson. I don't expect they'll be very successful. And as poorly as he's been playing, the Knicks seem to have had better reasons to bench him well before this.

Quoted for truth.

NoahH
01-11-2014, 02:57 PM
I bet you didn't even read it.

What? Why would you say that

cmellofan15
01-11-2014, 03:12 PM
They're both idiots.

One is a basketball player pretending to be something he's obviously not

The other one is an ***hole pretending to be a sports writer.

Corey
01-11-2014, 09:36 PM
They're both idiots.

One is a basketball player pretending to be something he's obviously not

The other one is an ***hole pretending to be a sports writer.

Woj is incredibly well respected.

Is Smith?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-11-2014, 09:46 PM
JR coming out and sayin he's been doin this for years now further proves my point and nobody gives a F... And completly ridiculous that this is getting as much attention as it has.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-11-2014, 09:49 PM

Is Smith?

As far as what?

JR Smith would serv your squad 40 if they didn't have anything on your scouting report about him.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-11-2014, 09:50 PM

Is Smith?

As far as what?

JR Smith would serv your squad 40 if they didn't have anything on your scouting report about him.

tmacsc2
01-11-2014, 10:01 PM

Look at the homer defending the player on his favorite team..... JR Smith is exactly what this article paints him as! Self centered ego maniacal ****.

Woj had a right to publish this article. JR smith pretty much killed his best friend cause he was drunk and got behind the wheel. He sits down with Woj and tells him he is changed and he will mature straight to his face, yet here is again being a ****! Who knows what else he told Woj off the record, Woj believed this **** like so many of us and he has constantly let everyone down. Smith is the one who is "just plain rude and out of line"

Corey
01-11-2014, 11:40 PM
As far as what?

What are you talking about?

Smith's shooting 35% from the field, 34% from 3, 63% from the line, and is posting an atrocious WS/48 of .005.

He's awful.

cmellofan15
01-11-2014, 11:41 PM

Is Smith?

incredibly well respected...why? because he can bash a guy and bring the death of one his friends into it? because he can make terrible, moronic claims about LeBron and Hollinger and so many others? or because he writes a ****-ton of articles and happens to be right some of the time? (mostly when he is being Captain Obvious, ie: Thibs and Bulls GM, Kobe Needs Help, Jason Kidd Losing Support, Andre Miller rumors, and anything regarding Bynum )

and in no way am I going to defend JR either. I really don't like the guy from the time he came to Denver and had his run ins with Karl. but if we are are going to compare them in their respective fields it's actually funny how similar they are. JR takes a lot of shots, hits a few. Same thing could be said for Woj on making valid points. And then there's the fact that both of them are usually only talked about when they say or do something stupid.

cmellofan15
01-11-2014, 11:51 PM
sorry for completely ignoring the question, Corey, but I'll have to answer it with a no. Smith isn't respected in the least bit and it is completely deserved. but Woj doesn't deserve the "incredible respect" he gets if what you're saying is true. I'm not really sure how is received as a writer but from what I've read and seen, he seems to be like quite the troll and a complete dick in his critiquing.

Corey
01-12-2014, 12:08 AM
He can be a dick. Absolutely.

He's also one of the better reporters when he isn't writing his opinion pieces. He has many well placed sources around the league and he's worked incredibly hard to help put yahoo on the map in the basketball world.

Drummond#1
01-12-2014, 12:31 AM
I think the NBA is better when fake thugs like JR suck. And decent human beings like KD, DMC, Klove, PG, Blake, and yes even Lebron are running the league.

TylerSL
01-12-2014, 05:24 AM
very accurate and it is also a reflection of the Knicks organization as a whole.

Drummond#1
01-12-2014, 09:21 AM
James Dolan is becoming the NBAs Al Davis.

Knicks21
01-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Is Smith?

Look I don't know Woj personally, yeah he provides nice trade updates and everything but I don't respect the guy just follow him on twitter.

I bet you JR's friends respect him. Its a very loose term nowadays.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-13-2014, 03:30 AM
What are you talking about?

Smith's shooting 35% from the field, 34% from 3, 63% from the line, and is posting an atrocious WS/48 of .005.

He's awful.
6th man of the year... Yea, he's not shooting a high percentage but he's a player that is explosive and could get hot and take over a game at any moment... Like I said I'm 100% certain your favorite team has something written in the scouting report about JR.

A guy with a Thomas Robinson sig is tellin me JR sucks. Slap yourself.

Corey
01-13-2014, 10:42 PM
6th man of the year... Yea, he's not shooting a high percentage but he's a player that is explosive and could get hot and take over a game at any moment... Like I said I'm 100% certain your favorite team has something written in the scouting report about JR.

A guy with a Thomas Robinson sig is tellin me JR sucks. Slap yourself.

Thomas Robinson in a Kansas jersey. My favorite Jayhawk of all time.

Any who, 6th man of the year? This year? The scouting report on him this year is let him jack whatever shots he wants. He's been a joke a majority of the year.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-14-2014, 12:02 AM
Thomas Robinson in a Kansas jersey. My favorite Jayhawk of all time.

Any who, 6th man of the year? This year? The scouting report on him this year is let him jack whatever shots he wants. He's been a joke a majority of the year.

Are you serious?! You honestly think if you LET JR Smith shoot and not have even the slightest game plan on him he just gonna chuck up bricks? JR would roast you if you give him the chance. He's arguably one of the streakiest scorers in the game. Have you not seen what he's capable of. And yea 6th man till another one is crowned.

KingstonHawke
01-14-2014, 01:47 AM
I never understand it when people say that a bad child had good parents. That's like saying I'm a winner, although I lost. If we're not measuring your parental skills by how good your children turn out then what is our measuring stick?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
I never understand it when people say that a bad child had good parents. That's like saying I'm a winner, although I lost. If we're not measuring your parental skills by how good your children turn out then what is our measuring stick?

I think theres a couple different reasons...

Sometimes your kids are gonna be rebellious naturally. Parent's cant be there with their kids 24/7, they may meet some "bad" kids in school, and be manipulated, or peer pressured into doing things that maybe they're curious about, or even bullied into doing something they know isn't right. Even if you teach them right from wrong. It's just in their personality. I knew a kid in HS, great family, they went to church were completely family oriented. Just a "typical" loving family, dude ended up getting into hardcore drugs.

I'm gonna assume that you've tried drugs before, and I'm also gonna assume your parents taught you to stay away from drugs. I don't think JR is a bad kid. He's just immature.

NBA_Starter
01-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Tell us how you really feel next time, Woj.

Tony_Starks
01-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Wow....tell em why you mad son!