PDA

View Full Version : Potential Assists

Byronicle
01-09-2014, 03:03 PM
I want to see more team play, and I feel that a lot of the reason why we see hero ball is because the way an assist is counted. There are too many conditions that have to be met for an assist to count and a lot of the times a player should've gotten an assist but the guy he passed it to got fouled, when it would've been almost automatic, especially when a player is given a hard foul near the rim.

If that player was not fouled, the passer would've been rewarded with an assist for sure.

I feel that 0.5 assists should be given to the passer for each free throw made. This should encourage more team play as well

People speak of "hockey assist" as well which I feel could somehow be included

PhillyFaninLA
01-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Only if they add the 25 point shot like that had in MTV Rock N Jock Basketball and a second basket that moves.

You want better team play you need contraction not a bigger court....you need the talent to match the number of roster spots or have more talent than roster spots.

mRc08
01-09-2014, 03:34 PM
I know that stats drive players to play a certain way as they are a large factor into how someone gets paid. However, I think that more "team ball" would be accomplished through what philly said. If there were fewer teams and talent wasn't spread so thin, I think you would see more team ball. Look at team USA, they spread the ball around nicely when it truley is a better option to pass then shoot. I know they are seperate issues because team USA players don't get paid based on stats, buts i think it shows players are willing to sacrifice some of their personal stats to win.

I think another aspect is coaching. Some coaches demand the ball moves around or you sit. Some coaches do not hold true to this, either because they don't believe in that philosophy, fear of pissing off their star player, or fear of losing their job. But coaches like doc, pop, thibs, spo all emphasize team defense and sharing the ball over a more one-on-one style. I think its no surprise that these coaches teams have suceeded for the most part the last 10 years. But when you have a star like carmello, and then a major drop off after that in regards to talent, its hard to blame players, coaches, and organizations for being ball hogs. It seems the only true solution is contraction, however, the NBA does not want to lose teams, nor lose the one-on-one superstar persona that has been one of the NBA's biggest selling points since jordan.

D-Leethal
01-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Direct assists are a misleading attribution of facilitating ball movement. They are very dependent on the type of system you run and the type of passes that system asks you to make.

Dirk Nowitzki never racked up assists but his teams were always lights out from 3 and tops in team assists. Why? Because their system had him parked at the elbow on the strong side, taking advantage of 1v1 matchups until the opposition was forced to double or shade from the weak side with multiple defenders. How do you double? You NEVER double from 1 pass away. You double from a part of the court that a direct pass cannot be made. So Dirk would suck in the defense, he would make the initial kick out pass and the ball would swing. Dirk gets no credit, but the ball movement wouldn't occur without him.

How do you rack up assists? You play the middle of the court, whether its a high pick and roll, or a top of the key isolation. You drive and dish and from the center of the court, you have 3-4 options that are all one pass away.

Hockey assists would be nice to record, but I'd love for their to be something along the lines of an "initial pass" stat, the guy who draws the D, kicks it out and sparks the ball movement. I understand this would be damn near impossible, but I just think assists being the only indicator of facilitation is misleading as hell and guys who play the post/elbow don't get any credit when their teams are doubling, moving the ball and swinging to the corner.

D-Leethal
01-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Guys who play the post and mid post can only really rack up assists for cutters, and cutters are tough to hit for a bucket unless the defense is completely sleeping and not seeing the ball and their man. Guys who play the top of the key are tailor made to rack up assists. That doesn't necessarily mean the post up guys aren't the biggest reason their team is moving the ball.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-10-2014, 04:50 AM
haha :facepalm:

NBA gives half of he assists for free

you should watch euro - basketball, where assists are rightfuly credited

IndyRealist
01-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Direct assists are a misleading attribution of facilitating ball movement. They are very dependent on the type of system you run and the type of passes that system asks you to make.

Dirk Nowitzki never racked up assists but his teams were always lights out from 3 and tops in team assists. Why? Because their system had him parked at the elbow on the strong side, taking advantage of 1v1 matchups until the opposition was forced to double or shade from the weak side with multiple defenders. How do you double? You NEVER double from 1 pass away. You double from a part of the court that a direct pass cannot be made. So Dirk would suck in the defense, he would make the initial kick out pass and the ball would swing. Dirk gets no credit, but the ball movement wouldn't occur without him.

How do you rack up assists? You play the middle of the court, whether its a high pick and roll, or a top of the key isolation. You drive and dish and from the center of the court, you have 3-4 options that are all one pass away.

Hockey assists would be nice to record, but I'd love for their to be something along the lines of an "initial pass" stat, the guy who draws the D, kicks it out and sparks the ball movement. I understand this would be damn near impossible, but I just think assists being the only indicator of facilitation is misleading as hell and guys who play the post/elbow don't get any credit when their teams are doubling, moving the ball and swinging to the corner.

SportsVU can track it.

koreancabbage
01-10-2014, 12:24 PM
I want the hockey assist to be added lol

tredigs
01-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I've been checking out both hockey assists and assists leading to FT's every once in a while on sportsvu this season.

But if that were really the reason for hero ball, then that group of players would already be selfish enough to go for the full stat any chance they get. The answer to stupidity or selfish play is not to cater to it.

koreancabbage
01-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I've been checking out both hockey assists and assists leading to FT's every once in a while on sportsvu this season.

But if that were really the reason for hero ball, then that group of players would already be selfish enough to go for the full stat any chance they get. The answer to stupidity or selfish play is not to cater to it.

it would be pretty hard to be selfish to get a hockey assist LOL The assist stat, to be begin with, is what leads people to overpass sometimes

tredigs
01-10-2014, 01:11 PM
it would be pretty hard to be selfish to get a hockey assist LOL The assist stat, to be begin with, is what leads people to overpass sometimes

That's my point. They wouldn't be any more willing to pass just because they thought in the back of their mind they might get a hockey assist from it.

But yeah, these are tracked now. So at least their agents could bring it up as a side note in negotiations or w/e.