PDA

View Full Version : Pierre McGuire Says To “Beware Of The Rangers”

IAmARanger18
01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
While on TSN 1050 this morning, Pierre McGuire opened up his segment by telling the two Toronto hosts to “beware of the Rangers.”
Mike Richards, the host, then asked McGuire about the Rangers and Pierre said, “beware the Ranger. Look out. Power play is working. Last night was the best that I have seen Rick Nash play all season long. He really had jump in his step, he was challenging Corey Crawford, he was challenging the Chicago defense. The PP over the last couple years under John Tortorella and Mike Sullivan was anywhere between 20th and 25th in the league. They are 8th in the league under Scotty Arniel and it’s a completely different PP. Ryan McDonagh has elevated his game. Derek Stepan has elevated his game. They have more of a four line attack. They have moved Brian Boyle from center to wing and that has made a difference, so more of a checking role. They have become more comfortable in Alain Vigneault’s man to man system inside the blueline where at the beginning they were having a real tough time and losing men in coverage all the time. Now they look more comfortable in it and they look better in it.”

On Rick Nash, “Rick Nash has had two concussions in a six-month period. That is tough. I think he is just starting to reel it in now and that is good news for him and good news for Canada.”
On Henrik Lundqvist, “I asked Ryan Callahan after the game why it’s been a roller coaster year for Henrik Lundqvist and he said that as a team we don’t worry about Hank, his words not mine. That being said, you see the Brandon Bolling goal and Bolling can really snap it off, he can really shoot the puck but that is not a goal that Henrik Lundqvist is used to giving up. Getting beat short side from almost outside the circle, that is not a good goal. I think he is reeling it in. I think he had a lot of pressure to deal with in terms of the contract. He has had some pressure because there is a new coaching staff and he is getting more comfortable with them. There was also the change in system which saw him seeing more good scoring opportunities against than he has in previous seasons because the Rangers went from a shot blocking team to more of an offensive flow team. I think he has gone through a lot of adjustments too.”
On Sweden, “I think they are definitely a contending medal team.

Read: Pierre McGuire Says To ?Beware Of The Rangers? | SNY Rangers Blog

Spot on, yesterday was a great game for us and everything was working. This could be the turning point to our season. Last night was a HUGE win.

mudvayne387
01-09-2014, 02:00 PM
A) Derek Stepan has not elevated his game
B) Henrik has a long history of letting up softies (only magnified because he's slumping)

The rest I will agree with. Add one more natural scorer and I think this team can compete right now ...

nyr2002nyr
01-09-2014, 02:05 PM
A) Derek Stepan has not elevated his game
B) Henrik has a long history of letting up softies (only magnified because he's slumping)

The rest I will agree with. Add one more natural scorer and I think this team can compete right now ...

We dont need to add another scorer IF our "so called" stars play to the level they are expected to play to

J4KOP99
01-09-2014, 02:08 PM
yeah, stepan has been non-existent this year.

redwhiteandblue
01-09-2014, 02:49 PM
Yeah, in terms of quality (for McGuire) it was good up until the point he made about Stepan.

Rangers have looked good when I have seen them play recently.

nyr2002nyr
01-09-2014, 02:50 PM
yeah, stepan has been non-existent this year.

Exactly if he comes around and Nash hits his full stride its like adding a star or 2 for free

SLY WILLIAMS
01-09-2014, 02:54 PM
We actually have a pretty talented team overall. We have flaws but compared to many teams our 4 line depth is pretty talented. We also have good skaters on defense. For us this season it often comes down to goaltending. That is the big key for us.

Adding a dman with snarl or a blast would help as well.

Maybe a heavyweight fighter who can play but those are hard to find.

MJL80
01-09-2014, 03:20 PM
We actually have a pretty talented team overall. We have flaws but compared to many teams our 4 line depth is pretty talented. We also have good skaters on defense. For us this season it often comes down to goaltending. That is the big key for us.

McIlrath?? Or too soon?

bsi
01-09-2014, 03:51 PM

McIlrath?? Or too soon?

Way too soon, but he when he is ready it will be nice to have a solid dman who can be an enforcer too. Fills two roster spots.

Richards has been good on the point with McDonagh for the pp. He has been playing the 1 and 2 pp on the point most nights, not sure what will happen to the pp if or when he is bought out.

J4KOP99
01-09-2014, 06:03 PM
Way too soon, but he when he is ready it will be nice to have a solid dman who can be an enforcer too. Fills two roster spots.

Richards has been good on the point with McDonagh for the pp. He has been playing the 1 and 2 pp on the point most nights, not sure what will happen to the pp if or when he is bought out.

That's next years issue

jomota
01-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Do you think the Olympic break will be beneficial or not? Id like to see the team collect itself and run of a nice winning streak.

metswon69
01-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Do you think the Olympic break will be beneficial or not? Id like to see the team collect itself and run of a nice winning streak.

Well they still have 14 games left before the Olympic break to get some momentum going and 10 of those 14 games are at home (although technically 2 of those away games at Yankee Stadium are more like home games so you can say 12 out of 14). The problem is they've underachieved at home (8-10-3) and they have some quality opponents and some division rivalry games coming.

It's imperative they finish strong before the Olympics with how close the Metro division standings are.

IAmARanger18
01-10-2014, 01:26 PM
McIlrath?? Or too soon?

Not too soon at all, he really settled in after his first game. Won everybody over with the fight, but DZ since being re-inserted into the lineup, has been playing pretty well. Think the benching and trade rumors finally lit a fire under his ***.

gokreidergo
01-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Pierre is on drugs. This team couldn't beat the Penguins or Bruins in a million years as constructed over a 7 game series. This team needs McIlrath on the defense immediately so he can start adjusting to the NHL game. They also need tougher 4th line players. Not the D. Moore's and Boyle's of the world.

bsi
01-11-2014, 09:01 AM

That's next years issue

Its really not. If they plan on buying him out the search for a replacement should start now. Between him and Zuccarello they pretty much run the first PP, and then richards stays for the 2nd one too. Thats a huge hole to fill on a team that finally has a good powerplay. Miller, Lindberg or anyone else in the minors can't fill that hole. They need to be looking for a solution now before they have to make the decision to buy him out because I guarantee you that if they dont, they will not buy him out for fear of ruining what they have on the pp.

gokreidergo
01-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Its really not. If they plan on buying him out the search for a replacement should start now. Between him and Zuccarello they pretty much run the first PP, and then richards stays for the 2nd one too. Thats a huge hole to fill on a team that finally has a good powerplay. Miller, Lindberg or anyone else in the minors can't fill that hole. They need to be looking for a solution now before they have to make the decision to buy him out because I guarantee you that if they dont, they will not buy him out for fear of ruining what they have on the pp.

You could not be on more crack. There is no shot in hell that Richards isn't bought out. He's not what makes the PP go. The three best players on the PP all year IMO have been Zucc, Brassard and Kreider. I don't see Richards doing that much on that unit. They aren't going to keep an old fart with a 7+ million cap hit who has over 5 years left on his deal that gets 50 points a year. The PP is successful because the Rangers started passing through the center of the other teams defensive box like all the best PP teams do. It wasn't rocket science but Torts and his moron staff were too stupid to figure that out. Richards can be replaced in a matter of seconds on the PP with a UFA or trade.

NYY09
01-12-2014, 02:08 AM
You could not be on more crack. There is no shot in hell that Richards isn't bought out. He's not what makes the PP go. The three best players on the PP all year IMO have been Zucc, Brassard and Kreider. I don't see Richards doing that much on that unit. They aren't going to keep an old fart with a 7+ million cap hit who has over 5 years left on his deal that gets 50 points a year. The PP is successful because the Rangers started passing through the center of the other teams defensive box like all the best PP teams do. It wasn't rocket science but Torts and his moron staff were too stupid to figure that out. Richards can be replaced in a matter of seconds on the PP with a UFA or trade.

FWIW Richards' cap hit is 6.66 a year and he's more than a 50 point player.

The funny part is that through 46 games last year he had 11g 23a, through 46 this year he's at 11g 22... and thats taking into consideration the fast start he got off to. So yeah, I agree with you, he's gone next year but IMO you seriously undervalue him and I'm not talking about contract vs. production.

bsi
01-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Have you watched the powerplay? There is a reason Richards plays both powerplay units and pretty much plays the entire powerplay without him and Zucs the PP goes nowhere.

By the way I was told I was on crack last year when I guaranteed Richards wouldnt be bought out before this season and that he would be playing for NY. If Richards continues to play this way and Sather is still GM he wont be going anywhere, mark my words. Sather could care less what happens in 5 years from now because he wont be GM then and Sather wants a cup before he retires, if Richards can help this team the next 2 years then he won't be going anywhere.

NYY09
01-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Have you watched the powerplay? There is a reason Richards plays both powerplay units and pretty much plays the entire powerplay without him and Zucs the PP goes nowhere.

By the way I was told I was on crack last year when I guaranteed Richards wouldnt be bought out before this season and that he would be playing for NY. If Richards continues to play this way and Sather is still GM he wont be going anywhere, mark my words. Sather could care less what happens in 5 years from now because he wont be GM then and Sather wants a cup before he retires, if Richards can help this team the next 2 years then he won't be going anywhere.

There's just no way, it's borderline insane to keep the guy and its not like he's having a great or even good season, or an even better season than last year. 11g23a vs 11g22a through 46, not bad but not 6.66 cap hit a year with ridiculous recapture penalties if he retires, so I'm not sure where you're getting this "playing this way" thing.

Besides, does anyone really think that this team can absorb a 6.66 hit and still compete in the future? if the guy is a 60 point player now what is he in 2 year? how about 4? yikes.

No, just no way...

bsi
01-12-2014, 01:36 PM
There's just no way, it's borderline insane to keep the guy and its not like he's having a great or even good season, or an even better season than last year. 11g23a vs 11g22a through 46, not bad but not 6.66 cap hit a year with ridiculous recapture penalties if he retires, so I'm not sure where you're getting this "playing this way" thing.

Besides, does anyone really think that this team can absorb a 6.66 hit and still compete in the future? if the guy is a 60 point player now what is he in 2 year? how about 4? yikes.

No, just no way...

If Sather feels he can help this team next year he will keep him, he won't care about the future, he wants a cup now before he retires. I know what you are saying, if it was all about business and doing what's right for the team in the long run they would probably buy him out. I just don't see that we are gonna get someone who does what he does for less than 6.6 a year without giving someone up on this team, someone very good. Taking the long contract out of the equation what would the Rangers have to give up to acquire Richards or a similar player like him in a trade if he was on another team? There's the problem, in order to fill his hole we have to lose someone somewhere else on this team and our minor system is not good so there's nobody there that can offset his point totals. So buying him out costs you his production, another roster player and you are still going to have to pay the guy coming in a salary north of 5 million anyway. As I said before if Richards continues this play and Sather feels he helps us win next year he's gonna keep him, he's not worried about 5 years from now because it's not gonna be his problem then and if he feels Richards is part of the equation that brings him a cup he'll keep him no doubt about it. I know it's not the right decision for the long term but when has Sather really thought about the future, our team has a right now mentality, always has, and it's why we can't commit to a full rebuild. It's why we go to the conference finals one year and then blow the team up trying to add Rick Nash the year after, it's why we've added Eric Lindros, Pat Lafontaine, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Wade Redden after they were on the back side of their careers. The future is someone elses problem in New York, win now at all costs has been this teams motto for years. The cap is supposed to go to 90 million in 4 years, 6.6 is a very small piece of that and if he continues to play well he'll be a bargain, if not he'll be 7% of the cap playing on the third line. 6.6 isn't a big cap in the future, especially if they end up adding more franchises.

BTW Richards leads this team in points and goals, between him and Zuccarello they have carried this team to where they are right now, without those two we are in the basement. If you want to see what Brad Richards means to this team look up the Time on Ice stat he is the highest minute munching forward with 19:06 of average time on the ice a game.

BTW I am not disagreeing that it would be a smart longterm decision to buy him out, I just think given our GM's age, the cap increasing, and us being in a NY market that he will most likely not do anything to ruin the short term success of this team.

Redfish
01-12-2014, 02:58 PM
As a GM or owner I would be ok with a Richards buyout and replacement with a player such as Thomas Vanek, who is ~5yrs younger and ~30-40% more productive. That is more than enough of an upgrade, in my view, to cover Vanek's added cost above Richards. For reasons cited by BSI, I don't think a Richards buyout is as much of a "slam dunk" as it appears on paper, but not exercising the buyout carries a great deal of risk that can be eliminated without having to compromise Sather's win-now mentality.

NYY09
01-12-2014, 07:33 PM
If Sather feels he can help this team next year he will keep him, he won't care about the future, he wants a cup now before he retires. I know what you are saying, if it was all about business and doing what's right for the team in the long run they would probably buy him out. I just don't see that we are gonna get someone who does what he does for less than 6.6 a year without giving someone up on this team, someone very good. Taking the long contract out of the equation what would the Rangers have to give up to acquire Richards or a similar player like him in a trade if he was on another team? There's the problem, in order to fill his hole we have to lose someone somewhere else on this team and our minor system is not good so there's nobody there that can offset his point totals. So buying him out costs you his production, another roster player and you are still going to have to pay the guy coming in a salary north of 5 million anyway. As I said before if Richards continues this play and Sather feels he helps us win next year he's gonna keep him, he's not worried about 5 years from now because it's not gonna be his problem then and if he feels Richards is part of the equation that brings him a cup he'll keep him no doubt about it. I know it's not the right decision for the long term but when has Sather really thought about the future, our team has a right now mentality, always has, and it's why we can't commit to a full rebuild. It's why we go to the conference finals one year and then blow the team up trying to add Rick Nash the year after, it's why we've added Eric Lindros, Pat Lafontaine, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, Wade Redden after they were on the back side of their careers. The future is someone elses problem in New York, win now at all costs has been this teams motto for years. The cap is supposed to go to 90 million in 4 years, 6.6 is a very small piece of that and if he continues to play well he'll be a bargain, if not he'll be 7% of the cap playing on the third line. 6.6 isn't a big cap in the future, especially if they end up adding more franchises.

BTW Richards leads this team in points and goals, between him and Zuccarello they have carried this team to where they are right now, without those two we are in the basement. If you want to see what Brad Richards means to this team look up the Time on Ice stat he is the highest minute munching forward with 19:06 of average time on the ice a game.

BTW I am not disagreeing that it would be a smart longterm decision to buy him out, I just think given our GM's age, the cap increasing, and us being in a NY market that he will most likely not do anything to ruin the short term success of this team.

I know what you're saying but I just don't see Sather being that reckless. What you are implying is that Sather doesnt give a flying **** which I just dont see. Yes, there have been some unsuccessful signing and questionable moves and a win now attitude but not buying Richie out is borderline insane and just plain reckless neither of which I see Glenn as...

As far as production, him leading the team speaks more about the underachievement of the rest of the roster and not Brad having a good season. Remember, everyone was going crazy about how much he stunk last year and this year he is producing at the same rate. If a team wants any chance of competing they need to have a good dollar vs. production ratio and remember as soon as he put on Ranger blue his production was cut in half.
6 years and 40mill with a head clobbering recapture penalty to a 33 year old center(ish) averaging .47 ppg? insane. I mean if he were a FA would you give him 6/40? :eyebrow:

Sure, he might be getting ice time and he might not be as brutal as last year but how much of his ice time is predicated on the strength, or lack there of, of the roster? The team needs veteran leadership and thats where I think Brad comes in useful but again, just because he leads a mediocre team(up until now) in points and ice-team doesn't mean that Sather will take the metaphorical sledge hammer to face and keep the guy, especially when he has a get out of jail card in his pocket...

bsi
01-12-2014, 08:22 PM

I know what you're saying but I just don't see Sather being that reckless. What you are implying is that Sather doesnt give a flying **** which I just dont see. Yes, there have been some unsuccessful signing and questionable moves and a win now attitude but not buying Richie out is borderline insane and just plain reckless neither of which I see Glenn as...

As far as production, him leading the team speaks more about the underachievement of the rest of the roster and not Brad having a good season. Remember, everyone was going crazy about how much he stunk last year and this year he is producing at the same rate. If a team wants any chance of competing they need to have a good dollar vs. production ratio and remember as soon as he put on Ranger blue his production was cut in half.
6 years and 40mill with a head clobbering recapture penalty to a 33 year old center(ish) averaging .47 ppg? insane. I mean if he were a FA would you give him 6/40? :eyebrow:

Sure, he might be getting ice time and he might not be as brutal as last year but how much of his ice time is predicated on the strength, or lack there of, of the roster? The team needs veteran leadership and thats where I think Brad comes in useful but again, just because he leads a mediocre team(up until now) in points and ice-team doesn't mean that Sather will take the metaphorical sledge hammer to face and keep the guy, especially when he has a get out of jail card in his pocket...

A few things...Richards is .71 pts per game this year not .47 as you stated. As you said the rest of the team struggled, he had little help to get to his point totals which makes his .71 even more impressive. His stats last year were inflated by his start, he had a terrible second half of the year, which is why I ask this question. Why would Sather not buy him out in what was perceived as his worst year ever only to buy him out a year later when he leads your team in points? It doesnt make any sense.

I am not saying Sather doesnt care. I am saying he wants to win a cup with this team before he retires. Whatever gives him the best chance at that he will do. If Sather brought a cup next year I think people would forgive him if he has a few million in cap from Richards left over for the future. Its no different than what we had to do in 94 when we traded to get aging veterans to win a cup at the expense of the future then, nobody cared because we won the cup. Nobody cares that we traded away younger players who would have made the team better in the years that followed because we got our cup. Same thing would apply here. Sather wants his hero moment and if he feels Richards will help him get it, he wont buy him out.

NYY09
01-12-2014, 08:30 PM
A few things...Richards is .71 pts per game this year not .47 as you stated. As you said the rest of the team struggled, he had little help to get to his point totals which makes his .71 even more impressive. His stats last year were inflated by his start, he had a terrible second half of the year, which is why I ask this question. Why would Sather not buy him out in what was perceived as his worst year ever only to buy him out a year later when he leads your team in points? It doesnt make any sense.

I am not saying Sather doesnt care. I am saying he wants to win a cup with this team before he retires. Whatever gives him the best chance at that he will do. If Sather brought a cup next year I think people would forgive him if he has a few million in cap from Richards left over for the future. Its no different than what we had to do in 94 when we traded to get aging veterans to win a cup at the expense of the future then, nobody cared because we won the cup. Nobody cares that we traded away younger players who would have made the team better in the years that followed because we got our cup. Same thing would apply here.

:facepalm: yeah, you got me there, dunno where I got .47 from, :facepalm: again.

nyr2002nyr
01-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Steps through 48 games last year he 18G 26 A through 47 this year he is at 7 and 20

If he hits his stride it would sure help

nyr1980
01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Steps through 48 games last year he 18G 26 A through 47 this year he is at 7 and 20

If he hits his stride it would sure help

Very true. Need your best players to be your best players. He should have more than 7 goals at this stage. Even his assists seem to be on the secondary and incidental lately. He really hasn't been much of a factor for a while now, and he's had some premium chances that he hasn't cashed in on.

I really think they should put Step back with Zuccs and Kreider and let Richards play with Nash and Cally. But I don't see them shuffling anything right now as they've been playing well of late and the offense/forecheck/shots/chances have all been pretty solid.

IAmARanger18
01-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Very true. Need your best players to be your best players. He should have more than 7 goals at this stage. Even his assists seem to be on the secondary and incidental lately. He really hasn't been much of a factor for a while now, and he's had some premium chances that he hasn't cashed in on.

I really think they should put Step back with Zuccs and Kreider and let Richards play with Nash and Cally. But I don't see them shuffling anything right now as they've been playing well of late and the offense/forecheck/shots/chances have all been pretty solid.

Don't fix what ain't broken. Lines are all working well, especially the Zucc-Brassy-Pouliot line.

NYY09
01-14-2014, 08:01 PM

I never really saw Step as a 1st line center, more like an above average 2C...

A true 1st line center would be a great addition though. You know, someone like Richards... :rolleyes:

nyr1980
01-15-2014, 01:02 PM

A true 1st line center would be a great addition though. You know, someone like Richards... :rolleyes:

Step is a 2.

Play Richards with Nash and Kreider, at least for now. Step is not factor offensively right now and hasn't been for some time, wheras Richards has been. Richards has earned the ice time he's getting, and he should be given that time with their best pair of wingers.

Even if AV only does this by giving those three some shifts together I'd be ok with it. But I don't think he can avoid this any longer.

Anyone have an explanation? Only thing I can think of is the Richards and Nash have not found chemistry in their few instances of playing together previously. But thats not been for a while, and I believe it's a relatively small sample.

bsi
01-15-2014, 01:28 PM

Step is a 2.

Play Richards with Nash and Kreider, at least for now. Step is not factor offensively right now and hasn't been for some time, wheras Richards has been. Richards has earned the ice time he's getting, and he should be given that time with their best pair of wingers.

Even if AV only does this by giving those three some shifts together I'd be ok with it. But I don't think he can avoid this any longer.

Anyone have an explanation? Only thing I can think of is the Richards and Nash have not found chemistry in their few instances of playing together previously. But thats not been for a while, and I believe it's a relatively small sample.

I really dont feel Nash has much chemistry with Richards for some reason. We need Stepan to get going. I would be all for trying Moore on the top line for a game just to wake Stepan up. The other lines shouldnt be split to make this happen and Moore can do the job on the top line for a game or two. But really, Stepan has to be better, he is on with two very good players.

nyr1980
01-15-2014, 06:42 PM
I really dont feel Nash has much chemistry with Richards for some reason. We need Stepan to get going. I would be all for trying Moore on the top line for a game just to wake Stepan up. The other lines shouldnt be split to make this happen and Moore can do the job on the top line for a game or two. But really, Stepan has to be better, he is on with two very good players.

And I can see why people think or say that as they've not had success together in the past. But again, it's a small sampling, and most of it came last season when Richards was not in shape and played poorly. I think it's worth one more attempt, even on a limited basis.

Moving Moore up to thr first line, even briefly and as much as I like him, is a bit of a reach, especially when Richards and Brass are in front of him and both are playing pretty well right now.

It's any idea, as you said, to wake up Step, but I can't see it happening.

bsi
01-15-2014, 09:47 PM

And I can see why people think or say that as they've not had success together in the past. But again, it's a small sampling, and most of it came last season when Richards was not in shape and played poorly. I think it's worth one more attempt, even on a limited basis.

Moving Moore up to thr first line, even briefly and as much as I like him, is a bit of a reach, especially when Richards and Brass are in front of him and both are playing pretty well right now.

It's any idea, as you said, to wake up Step, but I can't see it happening.

Ya I just get nervous when we start moving players off lines that are working to fix another line. I have watched Moore in more offensive roles and he has played well, I know its not something that is ideal but it might wake Stepan up. Then again maybe Hagelin is what Stepan is missing, maybe he gets it going better with him and Callahan, but something has to get this kid out of his slump, we need him to be a player who compliments Nash and Kreider.