PDA

View Full Version : Video: Pistons’ Josh Smith badly airballs potential game-winner vs. Knicks

spreadeagle
01-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Just saw this now on TV, thought he must have been fouled but you can see on replay he clearly wasn't ..what a shot lol http://nba.si.com/2014/01/07/josh-smith-airball-game-winner-video-pistons-knicks/

shep33
01-08-2014, 07:20 PM
That was awful :laugh:

xxplayerxx23
01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
I originally thought it was blocked lol

AddiX
01-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Last 4 minutes of that game was a competition of who wanted the game the least. Just a perfect example of the mess NBA basketball has become.

RipCity32
01-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Dudes a joke, we fought back in the fourth to bring it within 1 and Smith pulled that crap with 8 secs left in the shot clock on our last offensive possesion to try to win the game. I swear he tries so hard to be a Melo type of player with those jump shots but he sucks.

ManRam
01-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Pretty much sums up his season.

Glad people are now realizing how terrible he is offensively. Seems like we're in the midst of a revolution of clairvoyance here. Guys like Gay, Smoove, Monta (though, he's been OK) and the likes are being seen for the guys they really are.

The Detroit front court trio is shooting 26.5% outside the paint on 332 attempts. 259 of those are Josh Smith's doing. Brutal.

They could learn a thing or two from Houston.

Ebbs
01-08-2014, 09:36 PM
He's quietly having a terrible season. I say quietly because J.R. is headlining horrendous so damn well.

Ezio
01-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Still dunno what the Pistons were thinking when they signed him.

NBA_Starter
01-08-2014, 10:17 PM

Dumars gonna Dumars!

AddiX
01-08-2014, 10:24 PM
He's quietly having a terrible season. I say quietly because J.R. is headlining horrendous so damn well.

Funny you say that, becAuse while I was watching that game, in my head I said, Josh Smith is there version of JR Smith.

D-Leethal
01-08-2014, 10:30 PM

Glad people are now realizing how terrible he is offensively. Seems like we're in the midst of a revolution of clairvoyance here. Guys like Gay, Smoove, Monta (though, he's been OK) and the likes are being seen for the guys they really are.

The Detroit front court trio is shooting 26.5% outside the paint on 332 attempts. 259 of those are Josh Smith's doing. Brutal.

You gotta put guys in the right situations to thrive. Especially those with questionable IQ. Doesn't mean they can't be all stars and winners in the right scenario. Do you honestly think Detroit's roster is built for Josh Smith to thrive? How is he supposed to utilize his skillset with that front line? Put him on Houston at the 4 and you have yourself a monster. Monta is showing that this season.

Gay is looking like he flat out sucks, I will give you that one.

D-Leethal
01-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Funny you say that, becAuse while I was watching that game, in my head I said, Josh Smith is there version of JR Smith.

I've been saying that since they were in the dunk contest together in like 2005. Both play with the right heart but the completely wrong head.

AddiX
01-08-2014, 10:34 PM
You gotta put guys in the right situations to thrive. Especially those with questionable IQ. Doesn't mean they can't be all stars and winners in the right scenario. Do you honestly think Detroit's roster is built for Josh Smith to thrive? How is he supposed to utilize his skillset with that front line? Put him on Houston at the 4 and you have yourself a monster. Monta is showing that this season.

Gay is looking like he flat out sucks, I will give you that one.

Eh, low iq players usually stay low iq players and never end up on winning teams.

As for monta, hes always had superstar talent, took him a long time, multiple teams, to turn this corner. He's the exception.... That is if it lasts.

AddiX
01-08-2014, 10:35 PM
I've been saying that since they were in the dunk contest together in like 2005. Both play with the right heart but the completely wrong head.

JR played with a ton of heart until he got his $.

Now I think he just pops mad Molly on his off days.

D-Leethal
01-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Eh, low iq players usually stay low iq players and never end up on winning teams.

As for monta, hes always had superstar talent, took him a long time, multiple teams, to turn this corner. He's the exception.... That is if it lasts.

I don't think thats true. Look at ZBo. Crawford. Put these guys around winners, on a squad that suits their talent, and they can play for winning teams. Not every title team is filled with brilliant players from 1-15 or even 1-8. Look at Bynum, Metta. The list goes on.

AddiX
01-08-2014, 10:49 PM
I don't think thats true. Look at ZBo. Crawford. Put these guys around winners, on a squad that suits their talent, and they can play for winning teams. Not every title team is filled with brilliant players from 1-15 or even 1-8. Look at Bynum, Metta. The list goes on.

I'll give you zbo.

When I mean play for a winning team, I more meant being a key piece on one.

And Metta despite being crazy, played ball with a pretty decent iq when he was a top player. You could maybe make the same argument with zbo, heck I don't even think crawford plays with low iq. When he was younger, yeah.

When i say a guy plays with low iq, IMO, it means they play outside there game, mess up team chemistry, make bad decisions in big moments, and just flat out do knucklehead things over snd over, I don't think zbo or artest did those things.

NBA_Starter
01-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Metta is crazy as ****!

Giannis94
01-08-2014, 11:07 PM

Or trading Knight and Middleton for Jennings. That trade is looking great for the Bucks.

Beltrans Mole
01-08-2014, 11:24 PM
The Pistons have no idea what's going on essentially. Andre Dummond is good at least.

Riodagoat
01-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Oh Dumars....

Not sure who's worse, Dumars or Dolan...

Chronz
01-09-2014, 02:46 AM

Gunners are dying out in the NBA. Whats shocking is how those kind of players have seen their effectiveness reduced. I miss isolation masters, I hope its just an era thing more than a revolution. Hopefully its just these batch of iso guys that are dying out.

Chronz
01-09-2014, 03:15 AM

Ellis hasn't really been that different this year. Obviously hes in a better situation than last year and is performing better but its not a night and day difference.

GiantsSwaGG
01-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Josh Smith, Jr Smith, Chris Smith are related!

MonroeFAN
01-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Or trading Knight and Middleton for Jennings. That trade is looking great for the Bucks.

This is talked about a lot among Piston fans, and while he's playing well, he's still not the player we needed. Middleton had about 10 good games and then went back to being irrelevant. And the Bucks still suck (worse than we do). So I can appreciate that, when given the keys to the city, Knight can be a good player on a bad team. He is playing well though. We didn't win the trade, but most of us like Jennings.

Josh Smith just ****ing sucks. I don't get it, at all. It's becoming increasingly more difficult to defend Joe D. He should be fired today.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Melo was like, dang am I really that good on defense :confused:

kobe4thewinbang
01-09-2014, 11:43 AM
I wonder how J-Smoove would do on the Spurs, who were rumored to sign him. Pop would probably Sprewell his *** for shooting that, though.

colinskik
01-09-2014, 11:59 AM

In that game, Smith made JR look like a great all-around basketball player. Let's not forget his 8 TOs.

reffahead
01-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Josh signed with the worst team he could sign to. He's woefully out of position with a coach who's worse than Larry Drew and slight upgrade over Mike Woodson. That's low company right there. Funny thing that's his first designed game winning attempt in his 10 year career. Suffice to say he's not that type of player.

Cheeks had 5 straight losing seasons before going to OKC. Why would you hire a guy with that recent track history to coach a young team.

reffahead
01-09-2014, 12:14 PM
In that game, Smith made JR look like a great all-around basketball player. Let's not forget his 8 TOs.

Josh Smith is playing out of position with two slow lumbering centers. J.R. does nothing for a team. Nobody is gonna touch him.

colinskik
01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Josh Smith is playing out of position with two slow lumbering centers. J.R. does nothing for a team. Nobody is gonna touch him.

What are you talking about?? Seriously?

First off, I'm talking about the game the other night, not in general. Smoove put up good numbers but he took shots that were more forced than even JR is capable of. No lie. Second, turning the ball over 8 times is not something JR does, especially lately when he has been doing nothing but passing the ball.

I can tell you don't watch Knick games because when JR is actually playing well he does in fact do a lot for a team.

And I know the situation Smoove is in is absolutely terrible for him, I've been watching a lot of Pistons games. Still doesn't excuse his greedy play. Drummond and Monroe were beasting in the paint ... they could've gotten a much better shot than that airball. It's one thing when Melo plays that brand of ISO ball and fails. Not great, but somewhat acceptable given the roster and his talent. When Smoove does it you have to really scratch you head.

Lastly, I don't want to move JR so I could give a poop if other teams won't touch him.

UPRock
01-09-2014, 12:27 PM
He sucks.

MonroeFAN
01-09-2014, 01:30 PM

I'm sorry, what? Drummond is a slow, lumbering center? I would love to hear your reasoning on that since he's probably one of the most athletic and quickest centers in the game.

Josh smith is a dumbass, it has nothing to do with the rest of our roster. He literally sucks at basketball. He relied on athleticism to get the contract, and now it's either gone or he doesn't care anymore.

NYKnickFanatic
01-09-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm sorry, what? Drummond is a slow, lumbering center? I would love to hear your reasoning on that since he's probably one of the most athletic and quickest centers in the game.

Josh smith is a dumbass, it has nothing to do with the rest of our roster. He literally sucks at basketball. He relied on athleticism to get the contract, and now it's either gone or he doesn't care anymore.

Yeah, I was baffled by that comment as well. Watching the game, Dre was everywhere. He is fun to watch. He is a hard worker and he is really humble, a very likeable guy. I love that about him. The work ethic he has is amazing. Hopefully his free throws get better. Superstar in the making.

There was a play where, I think Felton, was driving to the rim and Dre clobbered him, but went over to Felton and helped pick him up. Nice guy.

MonroeFAN
01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
I think we're a little hard on him. Most of our fans see him as a superstar already, and we need to exercise patience with him. He's exceeded most people's expectations thus far, but his defensive spacing is a work in progress.

Definitely not "lumbering" however.

reffahead
01-09-2014, 01:43 PM
What are you talking about?? Seriously?

First off, I'm talking about the game the other night, not in general. Smoove put up good numbers but he took shots that were more forced than even JR is capable of. No lie. Second, turning the ball over 8 times is not something JR does, especially lately when he has been doing nothing but passing the ball.

I can tell you don't watch Knick games because when JR is actually playing well he does in fact do a lot for a team.

And I know the situation Smoove is in is absolutely terrible for him, I've been watching a lot of Pistons games. Still doesn't excuse his greedy play. Drummond and Monroe were beasting in the paint ... they could've gotten a much better shot than that airball. It's one thing when Melo plays that brand of ISO ball and fails. Not great, but somewhat acceptable given the roster and his talent. When Smoove does it you have to really scratch you head.

Lastly, I don't want to move JR so I could give a poop if other teams won't touch him.

Yeah I don't watch NYK games for sure. But I did see the DET-NYK game. His TOs were bad no doubt. But he was the one that led the charge to actually get the lead in the 4th. Monroe did not finish the game on Josh's air ball. In fact once they went with the Smith-Drummond frontcourt with 7 minutes left is when they made their move.

It's a terrible fit for him. He should have never been in position for the game winner in the first place. That's like asking Ibaka to win you the game. Serge is a fine player but you don't have him take the money shot.

MonroeFAN
01-09-2014, 02:10 PM
why are you still talking about basketball?

D-Leethal
01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
No slashing 3/4 who can't shoot would thrive at the 3 with that frontline. The roster is not built for Smoove to thrive. We all knew this and said this going into the season, so why are we surprised.

Does anyone not think Smith would be an absolute monster on Houston at the 4 spot?

Only team he will thrive at the 3 is with a 4 who shoots 3s. Pelicans, Minny etc...

That roster makes absolutely no sense though, the dumbest assembly of talent I have seen since Jennings-Monta backcourt, Marbury-Francis-Crawford-Nate backcourt, Randolph-Curry frontcourt.

D-Leethal
01-09-2014, 02:25 PM
They should have moved Monroe for Rondo.

A team with a core of Rondo-Smith-Drummond could be dangerous if you fill in the blanks properly with shooters. FT shooting would be atrocious though.