PDA

View Full Version : Is D Rose this generations Penny Hardaway ?

smith&wesson
01-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Penny Hardaway was of the most talented up and coming young pg's in the league. He looked like he was going to be an elite guard in this league for years to come and force to be reckoned with. After injuries he was never, ever the same player.

This leads me to the question, is D.Rose this generations Penny Hardaway ? Do you think D.rose will ever have another MVP year? Will he ever return to form? Or will his career fade off like Penny's did.

chi-townlove1
01-08-2014, 03:02 PM
I've lost hope to be honest. I'm in such a repressed state of mind with everything that includes the bulls or Derrick rose.

nastynice
01-08-2014, 03:06 PM
aw man, u got me all sad by reminding me about penny. Dude was so beast, tragic story. I'd hate to see the same thing happen with rose

JasonJohnHorn
01-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Yes. It seems that way. I hope I'm wrong.

I think fans were robbed of a unique opportunity to see Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill in their prime.

There have been so many great players we've missed getting to see in their prime. Hank Gathers, Len Bias, Reggie Lewis and Drazen Petrovic all passed away much to young. Bill Walton, Ralph Samson and evne Sam Bowie for that matter. Then Hardaway and Hill and even Alonzo Mourning. Injuries really slowed down Antonio McDysse as well, and now we've lost Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum to injuries.

There are guys that really turn it around, like Benard King, or Larry Johnson (who completely reinvented his game, though he was never the same). Apparently Kyle Lowry and Baron Davis both had torn ACLs in college and came back strong. And David West and Al Jefferson have come back from back injuries, though I think it's easier for big men who rely on strength and their basketball IQ to win games, rather than quickness. Kobe also came back from a bad injury and took the Lakers to 3-straight finals appearances.

I remember Grant Hill speaking to this when he was coming back. He said that the human body is not designed to put up with the kind of abuse that pro-athletes put on their bodies. It is amazing that guys can play 5 seasons, let alone 10-20. And for big/tall guys like NBA players, the strain on their body is even worse and they are far more injury prone.

Every players, especially point guards, puts their body in a position to be injured EVERY time they are on the court.

lol, please
01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Penny Hardaway was of the most talented up and coming young pg's in the league. He looked like he was going to be an elite guard in this league for years to come and force to be reckoned with. After injuries he was never, ever the same player.

This leads me to the question, is D.Rose this generations Penny Hardaway ? Do you think D.rose will ever have another MVP year? Will he ever return to form? Or will his career fade off like Penny's did.
Don't be respectful towards Penny Hardaway. In fact, reported, for slighting a legend.

smith&wesson
01-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Don't be respectful towards Penny Hardaway. In fact, reported, for slighting a legend.

dont be respectful or disprespectful ? i dont know that im doing either. penny was my fav player when he was on the magic. and d.rose was slowly becoming my fav player in his mvp year before he went down for a couple seasons now.

So the comparison seemed viable to me.

I just wonder how many people beleive that d.rose will be the same player coming back. im skepticle because penny never could. but than again you never know right.

smith&wesson
01-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Yes. It seems that way. I hope I'm wrong.

I think fans were robbed of a unique opportunity to see Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill in their prime.

There have been so many great players we've missed getting to see in their prime. Hank Gathers, Len Bias, Reggie Lewis and Drazen Petrovic all passed away much to young. Bill Walton, Ralph Samson and evne Sam Bowie for that matter. Then Hardaway and Hill and even Alonzo Mourning. Injuries really slowed down Antonio McDysse as well, and now we've lost Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum to injuries.

There are guys that really turn it around, like Benard King, or Larry Johnson (who completely reinvented his game, though he was never the same). Apparently Kyle Lowry and Baron Davis both had torn ACLs in college and came back strong. And David West and Al Jefferson have come back from back injuries, though I think it's easier for big men who rely on strength and their basketball IQ to win games, rather than quickness. Kobe also came back from a bad injury and took the Lakers to 3-straight finals appearances.

I remember Grant Hill speaking to this when he was coming back. He said that the human body is not designed to put up with the kind of abuse that pro-athletes put on their bodies. It is amazing that guys can play 5 seasons, let alone 10-20. And for big/tall guys like NBA players, the strain on their body is even worse and they are far more injury prone.

Every players, especially point guards, puts their body in a position to be injured EVERY time they are on the court.

I dont think some of those names you menetioned come close to comparison to penny or rose in terms of talent. penny and rose had top 5 player potential in the league. They already showed they were elite players ...

anyways, youre right we have missed out on alot of great young talent, but these two stand out the most. grant hill as well, but hill was able to come back and finish his career as a role player. but my question is do you think rose can come back as an elite player again. not a shell of his former self like hill and penny.

Stunner
01-08-2014, 04:10 PM
No smh

cdnsportsfan
01-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Great comparison! It was sad when Penny wasn't Penny anymore, while I wasn't a Magic fan I was a Penny fan. I really hope that Rose doesn't follow the same path but he is on his way, maybe one more surgery will get him there.

TheNumber37
01-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Rose was better, more like Grant Hill...

ManRam
01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Rose was better, more like Grant Hill...

Penny was better in his third season than Rose was in his. I don't care about the MVP win, that fact remains. He finished behind MJ and the Admiral, so would have Rose.

However, unfortunately I do think it's more like Hill because of the time missed. We're looking at 82 games missed one year, and then a TON missed this year. Penny never missed that many in back to back years. Because of time missed, it reminds me more of Grant his first three years in Orlando (*sigh*).

But not because he was better than Penny, or as good as Grant. Because of the consecutive years almost completely lost to injury.

I do think Rose's MVP days are done. I'm not entirely convinced his days of being a great player are, however. So in that regard, I'm not quite 100% ready to say he's the next Penny or Grant.

Slug3
01-08-2014, 09:44 PM
No smh

Why? Because your a Bulls fan?

Hawkeye15
01-08-2014, 09:56 PM
I am not convinced yet that Rose isn't going to be an elite player for 6-8 years.

MackShock
01-08-2014, 09:57 PM
After a couple years out of game speed, I honestly don't know if he can become MVP again. I will say that I hope he can be the same dominant player, I would never wish ill on anybody. It's better for the league to have as many superstars as possible.

I'm not ready to call him Penny..but it sure does look like injuries will riddle his career at this point.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2014, 10:04 PM
people forget how more advanced we are now compared to back then when it comes to medial science. Rose also isn't as big.

beasted86
01-08-2014, 10:05 PM
And ACL tear is different from Microfracture. Also Grant Hill was 32 when he finally fully got back. Rose will be 26 at the start of next season.

Rose has a chance to bounce back, but I don't think he will ever be an MVP candidate again, simply a good player, kind of like Baron Davis' career. That's what level impact I project him to have going forward.

b@llhog24
01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Similar but not as good.

NYKnickFanatic
01-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I hope not. Rose is a really exciting player to watch. It would be a great loss to not have him in the league at 100%.

smith&wesson
01-09-2014, 02:43 PM
people forget how more advanced we are now compared to back then when it comes to medial science. Rose also isn't as big.

thats true, never thought of that.

smith&wesson
01-09-2014, 02:44 PM
I hope not. Rose is a really exciting player to watch. It would be a great loss to not have him in the league at 100%.

I think it would be a big loss as well

NBA_Starter
01-09-2014, 10:18 PM
It is too early to say that but man would it be sad if it comes to that.