PDA

View Full Version : If Bynum goes to Miami, is there even a point to finishing the season?

JasonJohnHorn
01-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Obviously this is a polemic question. Bynum could get injured, or there could be a lack of chemistry, but it speaks to larger problems in the NBA.

Firstly, I have NEVER seen a center as talented as Bynum get waived. Granted, he is coming back from an injury and there are some questions about his commitment to the game and such, but centers are in demand and he is two season removed from being the second best player at his position.

The past couple of season, the Heat have only really struggled at one position: Center. Their PG rotation is obviously below average, but with Wade and James handling the ball and bulk of the scoring duties, the PGs on that roster don't get as much time with the ball. They are like John Paxon and Steve Kerr. They are there to shoot. The Heat almost lost to 7-game series because they were unable to match the Spurs and the Pacers in the paint. Bynum would give them FOUR All-Star in the starting line-up, not to mention the former All-Star they have littering their bench (Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis).

With teams making moves like waiving Bynum and amnestying All-Stars and make trades to dump contracts, how is the league ever going to develop true parity. You literally have small market teams paying All-Star players NOT to play for them, while big markets who are already stacked swoop in an pick up these guys to pad their bench.

ARGH!!!

Thoughts? Solutions? Questions?

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
I agree ... bynum should have gotten some sort of ban for basically strong arming the cavs into his release and instead he is getting rewarded and will compete for a championship instead and make very little (for an NBA player) .... what's stopping decent players on bad teams from doing this more often? It worked for bynum .... its BS

But yea if he goes to heat its like why bother? Just give the heat a ring now lol 85 percent of the league is tanking anyway

stawka
01-08-2014, 10:13 AM
If Bynum is considered an All-Star, then so should Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis

Bynum has done nothing in what, 3 maybe 4 seasons?

He's talented, but he is a dumb ****... Heck, an injury prone dumb ****. Teams have the opportunity to grab him, it's not Miami's fault they are a top contender and vets choose to play there alongside the best player in the planet

Chemistry and injuries could play a role with ANY player on ANY team. Miami should be more careful if anything, because their style of play hasn't let them down in two seasons

Jarvo
01-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Do The Heat even want him? I see people acting like it's the end of the world if he goes there but we haven't heard Riley saying he wants him or if he goes to OKC, Clippers hell to me I won't mind if The Spurs get him and see what Coach Pop can do with him. I don't think Miami wants to be honest because his head isn't on right.

mike_noodles
01-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Solution, don't worry about it. Bynum is the most overrated piece of garbage I have ever seen in the NBA.

ATX
01-08-2014, 10:32 AM
Interesting situation with Bynum for sure. It seems as if he's only about the only about the money, and will sign with whomever offers the most. Perhaps interested teams will only offer the league minimum, (Not sure about every teams cap situation). Miami has all 15 players on guaranteed contracts, so they'd have to cut someone and pay the hefty tax to obtain him. I'm not convinced Arison is willing to do that, especially for the risk of a player who seemingly is only playing for the check. I think the chances he goes to the Heat are relatively slim. As ManRam said in a separate thread, I bet he ends up on a team that no one would have really thought of. Also, as Stawka stated,
it's not Miami's fault they are a top contender and vets choose to play there alongside the best player in the planet

Raps18-19 Champ
01-08-2014, 10:36 AM
No point of having talent if you can't stay on the floor.

I see him in SA though.

TrAv=MaGiCfReAk
01-08-2014, 10:38 AM

He's talented, but he is a dumb ****... Heck, an injury prone dumb ****. Teams have the opportunity to grab him, it's not Miami's fault they are a top contender and vets choose to play there alongside the best player in the planet

Chemistry and injuries could play a role with ANY player on ANY team. Miami should be more careful if anything, because their style of play hasn't let them down in two seasons

Its not comparable to Lewis and Allen ... besides the fact that there over 30 and bynum is only 26, they decided to go to the heat as FA and took less to play there ....bynum signed with the cavs then screwed them cause he is a lazy pos .... he gets to walk away with 6 mill from cavs and now go sign with maybe the heat for another 2 mill at least and get a ring ....

I don't like the whole vets or good players signing for cheap to stack a team and get a ride to a ring like Payton and Malone did with the Lakers(although it didn't work for them) ... but this with bynum is worse and shouldn't be aloud....

I'm sure the heat would take bynum its just a matter of how little he would take to money wise to go to that talented of a team

kobebabe
01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
I am not even a heat fan but the heat will win it as they are anyways. They really have no much competition out there at the moment. So doesn't change a thing IMO

SlimKid
01-08-2014, 10:51 AM
I am not even a heat fan but the heat will win it as they are anyways. They really have no much competition out there at the moment. So doesn't change a thing IMO

Agree.

I also don't see how a slow Bynum fits into Miami's style of play. It's probably something we don't even have to worry about

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-08-2014, 10:55 AM
wow :facepalm:

tr3ymill3r
01-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Will Bynum and Wade be 100% healthy? No? Okay, then let's finish the season first.

Teeboy1487
01-08-2014, 11:09 AM
With or without Bynum, they are winning it all.

Tony_Starks
01-08-2014, 11:15 AM
First off even with Bynum Indy can still beat them if they have HCA. Secondly they're saying Indy may pull a chess move and snag Bynum so the Heat don't get him. Thirdly Bynum is a hard fall away from retirement. And lastly the new CBA sucks balls...

ManningToTyree
01-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Is the risk even worth the reward for Miami?

Iron24th
01-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Indy still has a slim chance to beat them if they have HCA.

Let's finish the season whatever happens, games are won on the court not on paper.

KingPosey
01-08-2014, 12:09 PM

2 seasons, but I get your point

JasonJohnHorn
01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Its not comparable to Lewis and Allen

Allen is different, but Lewis, like Bynum, was bought out (I think amnestied).

But, I wasn't comparing them, just stating that when small market teams pay players like Lewis and Bynum NOT to play, big market teams and contenders (Miami is a contender, but not really a 'big' market like LAL, NY and CHI- and TOR for that matter).

JasonJohnHorn
01-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Is the risk even worth the reward for Miami?

Yes.

Release a guy whose not playing to bring in a potential All-Star center who is injury prone?

When the Heat signed Greg Oden, they proved they were more than willing to take that kind of risk.

Ill21
01-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Stop making threads

PacersForLife
01-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Secondly they're saying Indy may pull a chess move and snag Bynum so the Heat don't get him.

Don't know where this came from, but there's no way that happens.

MygirlhatesCod
01-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Stop making threads
stop replying to threads you dont like!

Chi StateOfMind
01-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Bynum is garbage and a cancer to any team he goes too. If he goes to miami they would win bc of the core they have not bc bynum went there.

PhillyFaninLA
01-08-2014, 01:09 PM
With or without Bynum, they are winning it all.

I don't think you win it with him only without

PhillyFaninLA
01-08-2014, 01:12 PM
2 seasons, but I get your point

games per year his entire career:

46, 82, 35, 50, 65, 54, 0, 24....more than 2 seasons

ModernDaySavage
01-08-2014, 01:13 PM
I agree ... bynum should have gotten some sort of ban for basically strong arming the cavs into his release and instead he is getting rewarded and will compete for a championship instead and make very little (for an NBA player) .... what's stopping decent players on bad teams from doing this more often? It worked for bynum .... its BS

But yea if he goes to heat its like why bother? Just give the heat a ring now lol 85 percent of the league is tanking anyway

Is that exaggeration? Or do you really believe 25 teams are literally trying to lose?

Avenged
01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
It can go two ways really when it comes to Bynum. He could go to the Heat, and they would most probably dominate moreso if they keep him in check and whatnot. But he can also be their demise considering all the antics he brings on and off the court. I really do doubt it with a team like the Heat though. They are too talented to let one player ruin everything. But hey, it doesn't hurt to dream ;)

Ezio
01-08-2014, 01:36 PM
While he looked good offensively, he was really slow defensively. A quick big guy would blow by him most of the time.

ghettosean
01-08-2014, 01:47 PM

Didn't the --> best player on the planet leave his team to play with the 2nd best player on the planet (at that time) then everyone wanted to go there for easy rings?!?

Philapsychosis
01-08-2014, 02:00 PM
games per year his entire career:

46, 82, 35, 50, 65, 54, 0, 24....more than 2 seasons

Remember 66 games played 2 years ago. That's why the Sixers even bothered. He was nasty that year....... although still injured haha

KnickaBocka.44
01-08-2014, 02:25 PM
While he looked good offensively, he was really slow defensively. A quick big guy would blow by him most of the time.

He would make Amare look quick again. Maybe the Knicks should sign him just to make Amare look younger :rolleyes:

pebloemer
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
No point of having talent if you can't stay on the floor.

I see him in SA though.

Better fit IMO.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-08-2014, 03:08 PM
First off even with Bynum Indy can still beat them if they have HCA. Secondly they're saying Indy may pull a chess move and snag Bynum so the Heat don't get him. Thirdly Bynum is a hard fall away from retirement. And lastly the new CBA sucks balls...

Lol you crack me up.

All of your comments.

lol, please
01-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Obviously this is a polemic question. Bynum could get injured, or there could be a lack of chemistry, but it speaks to larger problems in the NBA.

Firstly, I have NEVER seen a center as talented as Bynum get waived. Granted, he is coming back from an injury and there are some questions about his commitment to the game and such, but centers are in demand and he is two season removed from being the second best player at his position.

The past couple of season, the Heat have only really struggled at one position: Center. Their PG rotation is obviously below average, but with Wade and James handling the ball and bulk of the scoring duties, the PGs on that roster don't get as much time with the ball. They are like John Paxon and Steve Kerr. They are there to shoot. The Heat almost lost to 7-game series because they were unable to match the Spurs and the Pacers in the paint. Bynum would give them FOUR All-Star in the starting line-up, not to mention the former All-Star they have littering their bench (Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis).

With teams making moves like waiving Bynum and amnestying All-Stars and make trades to dump contracts, how is the league ever going to develop true parity. You literally have small market teams paying All-Star players NOT to play for them, while big markets who are already stacked swoop in an pick up these guys to pad their bench.

ARGH!!!

Thoughts? Solutions? Questions?
There is nothing Miami can do that will make them better than the Warriors. We are their kryptonite, this is our league, they just play in it.

shep33
01-08-2014, 04:29 PM
There would be tension between Bynum, Wade and Gabrielle Union.

NBA_Starter
01-08-2014, 10:18 PM
No, it is all over and that's where he wants to go I see.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2014, 10:20 PM
he might help them some, but this is nowhere near the Bynum we saw in the Laker chip days. He is fat, unmotivated, and has a vertical that would barely challenge Bill Laimbeer.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2014, 10:21 PM
There would be tension between Bynum, Wade and Gabrielle Union.

luckily for the, Gab JUST had a baby and can't fornicate for a couple of months...

Hawkeye15
01-08-2014, 10:21 PM
There is nothing Miami can do that will make them better than the Warriors. We are their kryptonite, this is our league, they just play in it.

hahaha, what?

Riodagoat
01-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Why are people so scared of Bynum POTENTIALLY, key word, to Miami?
This guy is good at robbing teams off their money. He's going to where he gets offered the most. All that "want to play for Mia or Clips" is just talk. Dude doesn't want to play anymore.

On top of that, he hasn't played meaningful games in a long time. Even if he does end up in Miami, he might not even play. Even if he does, he doesn't fit into their game style. Also, what message would this send to Oden if they did sign him? Not a good one I tell you.

Lastly, he goes to Miami only if Riley wants him. And that's a big if.

D-Leethal
01-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Stockpiling talent doesn't supersede chemistry. They don't need more talent to win a chip, and they shouldn't want to try and beat Indy at their own game by forming a power team. This could take away from their 2x champion mojo as much as help it.

ChiSox219
01-09-2014, 01:02 AM
Bynum <<<<< Birdman

todu82
01-09-2014, 01:14 AM
If healthy he'd make them a better team but I don't know if adding him would make the Heat any more of an instant championship club than what they are now.

nyknicks1969
01-09-2014, 01:27 AM
Bynum wants to eat cheetos and shop on rodeo drive.

Dude is joto. Just ship him to the Castro and let him live his life in peace.

shep33
01-09-2014, 01:28 AM
Bynum would somehow manage to break up the Big 3 after the trade deadline

dnl123
01-09-2014, 01:35 AM
I have a feeling the Mavs will offer him more money than the Heat will, and I'm pretty sure Bynum only cares about money anyways.

Tony_Starks
01-09-2014, 01:59 AM
he might help them some, but this is nowhere near the Bynum we saw in the Laker chip days. He is fat, unmotivated, and has a vertical that would barely challenge Bill Laimbeer.

I got news for you my friend, the majority of the Lakers chip runs Bynum was a spectator. It was Kobe, Gasol, and Odom when he felt like playing...

shep33
01-09-2014, 02:07 AM
Yeah, Bynum was pretty useless during our championship runs lol. Pau + LO got it done for us up front

DillyDill
01-09-2014, 02:27 AM
Yeah, Bynum was pretty useless during our championship runs lol. Pau + LO got it done for us up front

Wow don't you guys dare disrespect Laker Drew like that calling him "useless". If we had him healthy in 08 we would had 3peated member. Let me here your explanation of why we lose in 08?

effen5
01-09-2014, 02:45 AM
Bynum going to the Heat really isn't a big deal, Bynum just doesn't care about basketball no matter who you put around him.

But in general, this is one of the worst NBA seasons I can recall.

Shlumpledink
01-09-2014, 03:13 AM
He would be the best center miami has had since shaq was there. They would really be an epic team, bosh could go back to doing what he does best and shooting jumpers and not having to protect the rim.

Scary team, I hope Bynum goes to a team that needs him more though. Make the league a little bit stronger.

Chronz
01-09-2014, 03:23 AM
I got news for you my friend, the majority of the Lakers chip runs Bynum was a spectator. It was Kobe, Gasol, and Odom when he felt like playing...

By news you mean made up fairy tales. Bynum played pretty badly on O for the first run, but even an injured Bynum was making more defensive plays and was more efficient (seems that way) than the Bynum the Cavs got.

But 2nd chip, Bynum was a difference maker those playoffs. His rate of production is actually very impressive if you know anything about stats. To call him a spectator is obviously an attempt to spread propaganda.

Chronz
01-09-2014, 03:25 AM
What makes you think he was useless? Was it him playing through injury and inspiring Phil to continue starting him. That Bynum was viable as a starter is what allowed Odom to come off the bench. In any event, yeah that first year may have been pretty lukewarm but that 2nd chip is underrated.

shep33
01-09-2014, 04:11 AM
What makes you think he was useless? Was it him playing through injury and inspiring Phil to continue starting him. That Bynum was viable as a starter is what allowed Odom to come off the bench. In any event, yeah that first year may have been pretty lukewarm but that 2nd chip is underrated.

Not useless, bad choice of words, but overrated. 2008-2009 he didn't do much.

The 2nd title run, I do give him props for playing hurt, but in all truth, I think if we had another decent big, we would have won either way.

Drew was particularly useful in the first round against OKC. Games 6 and 7 of the Finals he had a minimal impact, at least in my opinion. Game 2 against Boston, he was phenomenal, but we lost that game anyways.

So maybe he wasn't useless, but I personally think he was overrated in our last title run. Mostly because he was hurt though.

Had he have been 100%, I think we roll through the playoffs. But him being hurt didn't really impact any series after the first round, at least from what I saw. Yeah he allowed Odom to come off the bench, but we were best with Odom + Gasol out there.

Chronz
01-09-2014, 04:14 AM
Not useless, bad choice of words, but overrated. 2008-2009 he didn't do much.

The 2nd title run, I do give him props for playing hurt, but in all truth, I think if we had another decent big, we would have won either way.

Drew was particularly useful in the first round against OKC. Games 6 and 7 of the Finals he had a minimal impact, at least in my opinion. Game 2 against Boston, he was phenomenal, but we lost that game anyways.

So maybe he wasn't useless, but I personally think he was overrated in our last title run. Mostly because he was hurt though.

Had he have been 100%, I think we roll through the playoffs. But him being hurt didn't really impact any series after the first round.

You've lost me, he played injured the first chip, not the 2nd. Name me this "decent big" and you'll prolly see how rare that kind of production from a center truly is IMO.

shep33
01-09-2014, 04:15 AM
You've lost me, he played injured the first chip, not the 2nd.

2nd Chip he tore his meniscus or MCL in Game 6 I think against OKC.

Edit: Not sure if it was a tear but he hurt his knee and had it drained in the playoffs. A couple times if I'm not mistaken. Then he postponed surgery in the summer

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-09-2014, 04:18 AM

Bynum was pretty good in 09/10 up until the finals. But he was pretty bad in the finals due to injury. He only averaged 7 points and 5 boards in about 27 minutes. For the whole playoffs he had a PER of 17.1 and a win a share per/48 of 150. Also had a defensive rating of 107. Not that good for a defensive anchor.

But in 08/09. He was in fact useless instead of lukewarm. He had a PER of 11.8 and win share per 48 of .092. An offensive rating of 102 and a defensive rating of 103. A TS% OF 49.2 in 17 minutes per game. Again, he played hurt pretty much the whole playoffs but with numbers like those, you almost prefer he stays home.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-09-2014, 04:27 AM
Andrews numbers in the regular season were pretty impressive. It really is to bad about his knees. The first two injuries were freak accidents that could have happened to anybody. The bowling accident could only happen to a knuckle head like him. He could have been a very good player in the league for a long time with a better attitude and some more luck.

GunFactor187
01-09-2014, 05:34 AM
Will Bynum and Wade be 100% healthy? No? Okay, then let's finish the season first.

I'm sorry, but as a Pistons fan I have to lol at that right there, lol.

P&GRealist
01-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Bynum would only help the Heat if he was the 4th option in scoring and took responsibility for rebounding and blocking/challenging shots. You throw the ball into him in the post repeatedly and he ****s with your flow offensively.

WES KOAST
01-09-2014, 06:05 PM
huh? Bynum to Miami? better not have lebrons mom at home games

JordansBulls
01-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Why would it matter? The Heat were down in back to back years 3-2 in series all while having HCA despite adding more and more veterans to the squad. And for someone who said Indiana had no shot, remember last season they didn't even have Granger and they still took Miami 7 and this with a PG who was still developing. He has gotten better this year, so if anyone has a shot to overtake Miami it is Indy.

ManRam
01-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Uhhh...

Yes.

He could put them over the top, but odds are he probably wouldn't. And if the playoffs started today I'd take the field over Miami in a heart beat.

theducksmuggler
01-09-2014, 08:51 PM
So Andrew Bynum officially cleared waivers as of 6PM...so let the bidding begin i presume

NBA_Starter
01-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Let's get this done Pat.

DillyDill
01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Should be exciting