PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay Raptor vs. Rudy Gay King

JasonJohnHorn
01-08-2014, 08:41 AM
If the Rudy Gay of the Sacremento Kings played against the Rudy Gay of the Toronto Raptors, the Raptors Rudy Gay would be DESTROYED by the Kings Rudy Gay.

With the Raptors, Rudy Gay was shooting .388 from the floor. with the Kings? .508.

Per36 looks like this:

TOR: 19.7 pts, 7.5 rbs, 2.3 asts, 1.6 stsl, 1.3 blks, .388 FG, .373 3pt, .773 FT .468 TS 3.3 trn 2.6 pf
SAC: 20.3 pts, 5.2 rbs, 2.6 asts, 1.5 stsl, 0.8 blks, .508 FG, .273 3pt, .831 FT, .588 TS, 3.1 trn, 2.4 pf

Though Rudy Gay isn't grabbing as many rebounds (likely because he had a monster rebounder in DMC pickin' up so many boards off the glass), and though his 3pt percentage is down, his overall shooting seems to have picked up big time.

I haven't gotten to watch many Kings games. Obviously, judging by the stats, the Kings have him shooting less threes, but his FG% has jumped up big time. Is this just a matter defenses leaving him open because they are focused on DMC? Or is the coaching staff using him in a way that makes him more efficient? Or was he just pulling a VC and chuckin' up bricks to force a trade?

Thoughts?

Swashcuff
01-08-2014, 09:19 AM
He's been playing better in his short time in Sac Town no doubt but TOR has played much better with him than without him. Especially defensively. At the start of the year the Raptors had a 104.3 O rating and 97.7 D rating (5th in D rating in the time span since they made the trade). Before the trade they were 101 O rating, 102.1 D rating.

For the Kings:
Before trade: 101.9 O rating, 105.1 D rating, -3.1 Net rating
After trade: 104.7 O rating, 109.6 D rating, -4.9 Net rating -

Now this was as of January 2nd so the numbers has changed since then but you can see the changes made since Rudy has been traded.

pebloemer
01-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Still dealing with a pretty small sample size, but it is nice to see him producing better with Sacramento.

a) I would like to see Sacramento return to relevancy in the West.
b) I hold no ill will towards Rudy. He's a talented guy, I hope he figures it out. Has anyone been watching the games? Is he still taking long contested 2's early in the shot clock. That drove me nuts watching him in Toronto.

Rndy
01-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Good I hope he continues to play well and resigns there better the Kings are the faster Bulls get that pick gooo Kings!

HYFR
01-08-2014, 10:11 AM
It's so weird how he totally kills his teams defense.. I mean he is athletic, has good size and speed. He should be a way better defender. I don't watch much sac games but is it his effort on that end ?

IAmARanger18
01-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Looks to have found new life in Sac-Town

Raps18-19 Champ
01-08-2014, 10:29 AM
Being a sidekick will do that to your stats.

Swashcuff
01-08-2014, 11:19 AM
It's so weird how he totally kills his teams defense.. I mean he is athletic, has good size and speed. He should be a way better defender. I don't watch much sac games but is it his effort on that end ?

Last season the Raps D improved when he came over. Don't know if it was because of his play or the fact that they got rid of Jose Calderon or just the Raps improving their D as the season progressed. Guess Raps fan can shed some light on that.

MrfadeawayJB
01-08-2014, 11:59 AM
He did the same thing when he left Memphis and went to Toronto. Just wait until he's comfortable, that's when he will become inefficient as always. It's a shame too because he could be a top 5 player at his position if he continued this efficient play.

Sactown
01-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Isaiah being in the starting lineup has killed our defense lol not Rudy Gay

And while I'm excited Gay has improved, he still takes plenty of stupid shots at times, and ignores contact like it's the pleague.
His shooting has gone up because hes the third fiddle on offense

Chronz
01-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Gay is such an enigma, such a streaky player, his level of efficiency has been sporadic throughout his career, even in circumstances where you would have thought he would thrive.

Ive seen quite a few of his games since the trade and the only thing that stands out to me is that Malone is posting him up alot more than anyone ever has. Maybe being a post player is what it takes for him to turn his isolation based game into something resembling league average efficiency. More importantly however is that his play hasn't come at the detriment to other players, Cousins efficiency has continued to improve but this could be a fluke. We still need a larger sample of games, last year he started off similarly in Toronto in terms of improving the incumbent primary options game (Derozen saw his fg/a and fg% increase with Gay on the court), only Gay was still his usual inefficient self. Then this year started and Gay saw fit to give himself a larger role than he deserved and he took DD out of his game. Hopefully superior offensive players like Thomas and Cousins keep him in line. God knows Conley and Lowry couldn't, even though they clearly deserved more touches than him.

Toronto has a variety of weapons right now, a hyper efficient PG, a go-to bigman, so maybe all this has opened the game up for Gay, sounds sustainable but again, we've seen Gay go through these stretches before. Its what he does for the entire stay that matters.

Make this thread in a few more weeks to check back on the matter. I wouldn't be surprised if his fallaways stop going in at the rate I've seen.

shep33
01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Boogie scared him into taking better shots

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-08-2014, 03:21 PM
OP sometimes makes the dumbest threads I swear.

Compare Rudy gay's first few games with the raps compared to the kings.

Should be on par.

For some reason he starts out hot and cools big time.

ghettosean
01-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Compare Rudy gay's first few games with the raps compared to the kings.

Should be on par.

For some reason he starts out hot and cools big time.

I thought it was a pretty good thread and have been watching his stats steady since the trade but I'm a Raptors fan so ya know :D

I think Gay is playing better because he's not the #1 option anymore which has done wonders for him since he's not a focus for double teams. I haven't watched any kings games but I imagine Cousins is commanding doubles and freeing up Gay on the offensive end.

Sactown
01-08-2014, 10:05 PM
I thought it was a pretty good thread and have been watching his stats steady since the trade but I'm a Raptors fan so ya know :D

I think Gay is playing better because he's not the #1 option anymore which has done wonders for him since he's not a focus for double teams. I haven't watched any kings games but I imagine Cousins is commanding doubles and freeing up Gay on the offensive end.

Yeah he hasn't been doubled at all and rarely forces shots, he still does occasionally thought, he's had 13 games shooting over 50% and he's getting a lot of shots at the rim when we run the ball through cousins in the high post .. Stoll avoids contact like it's cancerous

ink
01-09-2014, 12:13 AM
Gay is such an enigma, such a streaky player, his level of efficiency has been sporadic throughout his career, even in circumstances where you would have thought he would thrive.

Ive seen quite a few of his games since the trade and the only thing that stands out to me is that Malone is posting him up alot more than anyone ever has. Maybe being a post player is what it takes for him to turn his isolation based game into something resembling league average efficiency. More importantly however is that his play hasn't come at the detriment to other players, Cousins efficiency has continued to improve but this could be a fluke. We still need a larger sample of games, last year he started off similarly in Toronto in terms of improving the incumbent primary options game (Derozen saw his fg/a and fg% increase with Gay on the court), only Gay was still his usual inefficient self. Then this year started and Gay saw fit to give himself a larger role than he deserved and he took DD out of his game. Hopefully superior offensive players like Thomas and Cousins keep him in line. God knows Conley and Lowry couldn't, even though they clearly deserved more touches than him.

Toronto has a variety of weapons right now, a hyper efficient PG, a go-to bigman, so maybe all this has opened the game up for Gay, sounds sustainable but again, we've seen Gay go through these stretches before. Its what he does for the entire stay that matters.

Make this thread in a few more weeks to check back on the matter. I wouldn't be surprised if his fallaways stop going in at the rate I've seen.

Nice post.

D-Leethal
01-09-2014, 12:27 AM
He started the same way in TO IIRC. I thought that roster was built pretty nicely for him and expected it to work. I expect him to fall off in similar fashion here.

JasonJohnHorn
01-09-2014, 12:30 AM
I thought it was a pretty good thread .

Thanks for sticking up for me ;-) lol

JasonJohnHorn
01-09-2014, 12:32 AM

Ouch! I guess I'm gonna lose some sleep tonight. Im_in_Mia_bish thinks I make 'dumb' threads.

I'm am flattered you at least notice me bish!

JasonJohnHorn
01-09-2014, 12:39 AM
Is he still taking long contested 2's early in the shot clock. That drove me nuts watching him in Toronto.

Those long contested 2's early in the shot clock can sometimes be a coaching thing. I haven't gotten to watch much of the Raptors so far this season, been busy with school.

As for percentages, sometimes when a team doesn't have a lot of offensive weapons, they put it on the best guy to create shots when the shot clock is running out or it is at the end of a quarter. Those are low percentage shots. In Memphis he didn't have many guys like that. In Toronto at least he had DeRozen as well. But guys like that have to take a few bad shots a game. When I was in highschool, I was a Pistons fan, and I used to knock Jordan for his FG% compared to Barkley and Malone. Aside from the being forward and taking higher percentage shots, my coach also noted that those guys that can create have to take a lot of shots over the season with the clock winding down, and no matter how good you might be, those shots are low percentage shots.

Melo takes a LOT of those for NY. You'd see Ellis take a lot of those when he was in GS. When these guys get put on teams where other guys do that, their percentages usually go up. DMC likes to take those shots in Sac-town.

But yeah.. long 2's near the beginning of the clock. That is frustrating.

Chronz
01-09-2014, 02:42 AM
Ouch! I guess I'm gonna lose some sleep tonight. Im_in_Mia_bish thinks I make 'dumb' threads.

I'm am flattered you at least notice me bish!

Nothing dumber than calling a thread dumb, at least when you make threads that are dumb, I have the decency to ignore them. Well for the most part, apologies if I havent been so kind in the past.

Chronz
01-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Those long contested 2's early in the shot clock can sometimes be a coaching thing. I haven't gotten to watch much of the Raptors so far this season, been busy with school.

As for percentages, sometimes when a team doesn't have a lot of offensive weapons, they put it on the best guy to create shots when the shot clock is running out or it is at the end of a quarter. Those are low percentage shots. In Memphis he didn't have many guys like that. In Toronto at least he had DeRozen as well. But guys like that have to take a few bad shots a game. When I was in highschool, I was a Pistons fan, and I used to knock Jordan for his FG% compared to Barkley and Malone. Aside from the being forward and taking higher percentage shots, my coach also noted that those guys that can create have to take a lot of shots over the season with the clock winding down, and no matter how good you might be, those shots are low percentage shots.

Melo takes a LOT of those for NY. You'd see Ellis take a lot of those when he was in GS. When these guys get put on teams where other guys do that, their percentages usually go up. DMC likes to take those shots in Sac-town.

But yeah.. long 2's near the beginning of the clock. That is frustrating.

theres a stat for that. shot clock shots that is. Check 82games.com and let me know if the numbers back your assertions.