PDA

View Full Version : Deng on the Trading Block: Ideal Fit and Realistic Scenarios?

JasonJohnHorn
01-06-2014, 05:48 PM
As reported (http://prosportsdaily.com/articles/bulls-plan-to-trade-deng-use-amnesty-provision-on-boozer-283329.html) Deng is rumoured to be on the trading block.

So... where is his ideal landing spot? And what is the most likely scenario, or a realistic scenario, for him?

I think the Bulls were planning on doing well with Rose and letting Deng's contract expire so they'd have cap space to chase after LBJ, but I doubt LBJ would sign with a team whose franchise player just had both knees go out in back-to-back seasons.

I think the ideal landing spot for Deng is Minny. Their starting line-up looks solid, but having Deng's defense and all around game would be amazing. Then they'd just need to upgrade the point guard position.

I wouldn't mind seeing Detroit trade Josh Smith for him to be honest, though I doubt the Bulls take that deal.

And of course the Clippers would look pretty good with Deng in the starting line-up.

But what are realistic trades? Might Portland trade Batum for Deng? Maybe New Orleans moves Tyreke for Deng? Indy could send Granger over there and move Paul George back to SG and have him split his minutes at SG and SF with Stephenson splitting his minutes at PG and SG.

And, of course, teams looking for an expiring contract could use Deng.

What are your thoughts?

shep33
01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Deng is a risky trade option, he can flat out leave at the end of the year. So I'd imagine that you'd have to trade him to a big market team, contender, or team that would throw money at him this offseason

Heediot
01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Pacers should offer Granger and a first for him as a rental. It's essentially a 2nd round pick for a rental.

A_Bynum_sucks
01-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Deng is a great Hustle player...limited Athletically. But what scares me is that he and his agent are gonna demand a huge, Max or damn near Max deal to re-sign him. And Deng already has a History of Injury issues, and he has played a ton of minutes when he was Healthy. I would not give Deng more then 9 to 10 million on average on a new deal. But he will demand like 14 to 15 million...and that is way way too much for Deng;s abilities.

shep33
01-06-2014, 06:08 PM
I don't like the Indy fit. Lance is playing well as their starting 2.

Indy needs a point guard more than anything.

FraziersKnicks
01-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Batum is already better and a lot younger so that's not a viable option. He would look great in that Clippers lineup though. Not sure what would get it done though.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 06:22 PM
I hope he goes to OKC for Shefo a young guy and a pick. Okc bench is underrated

Red_Pill
01-06-2014, 06:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jw3ntzo

nycericanguy
01-06-2014, 06:38 PM
OKC would be a good fit. If they make the finals they need to go small against MIA. They can run a lineup of Ibaka, Durant, Deng, Thabo & Westbrook.

Deng could defend LBJ and take alot of pressure off Durant.

That being said, he'd probably be a rental since I can't see OKC paying him $12-14m, and for a rental I'm not sure they'd give up much.

I'm not sure CHI can really get much for him. He's a good player but he had been in steady decline for 3-4 years prior to this year...ahrmm... contract year...lol. He has a lot of miles on him and I'm not sure many teams will want to give him $12-14m over 4 years AND give up an asset for him.

Deng is also hard to match salaries with in a trade.

Sadds The Gr8
01-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Clippers would be a great fit for him but they don't have assets

nycericanguy
01-06-2014, 06:43 PM
the deal that makes a lot of sense to me would by Bynun & Waiters for Deng... but it would have to happen by tomorrow...lol.

The thing is CHI's FO seems like they fall in love with guys and they are always afraid of making a big move. They passed on Melo... they reportedly didn't want to include Deng in a trade for Kobe either some years back... when was the last time that FO really took a chance on anything? They seem to overpay to keep role players like Gibson instead of swinging for HR every now and then...

black1605
01-06-2014, 06:46 PM
He'd be a good fit in Charlotte, but not without an extension, and I doubt he'd want to be here.

Shammyguy3
01-06-2014, 06:53 PM
The Nuggets wanted both Deng & Noah for Melo.
Kobe had a no-trade clause and refused to accept a trade to the Bulls if Deng was part of the deal because he wanted to play with Luol.
The FO took a chance on 2010 free agency by opening up ample cap space to offer damn near two max contracts.
Gibson's contract is right where his market value would be.

smiddy012
01-06-2014, 06:56 PM
As a Bulls fan, I just want an early teen first or better.

Deng's playing the best basketball of his life right now. If he'd be willing to settle for 12 per, we'd resign for sure, he'll be looking for 15 per though.

****ing sucks that we never got to see this core in its prime, and healthy, but oh well... Here's to rebuilding!

USAF_AMMO
01-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Trade his him already. The Bulls as they are constructed (with Rose, Noah, & Deng) are like having Ginobili, Wade, and Amare on the same team.... In theory it could work, but in reality it never will.

nycericanguy
01-06-2014, 07:00 PM
The Nuggets wanted both Deng & Noah for Melo.
Kobe had a no-trade clause and refused to accept a trade to the Bulls if Deng was part of the deal because he wanted to play with Luol.
The FO took a chance on 2010 free agency by opening up ample cap space to offer damn near two max contracts.
Gibson's contract is right where his market value would be.

yea and CHI shouldve done that in a hearbeat! especially since they had Asik at the time.

Gibson is overpaid... in years and salary, a career 8 & 6 guy who plays solid D but isn't very efficient at all for a big man... but that's irrelevant I suppose.

CHI should trade Deng, I just don't think they are ballsy enough to do it.

smiddy012
01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
yea and CHI shouldve done that in a hearbeat! especially since they had Asik at the time.

Gibson is overpaid... in years and salary, a career 8 & 6 guy who plays solid D but isn't very efficient at all for a big man... but that's irrelevant I suppose.

Yeah, you haven't been following him this year obviously. Just sayin.

nycericanguy
01-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Yeah, you haven't been following him this year obviously. Just sayin.

ehh his offensive numbers for a big man are still inefficient, 48% eFG isn't very good. he's scoring a bit more because he's playing almost starter minutes and shooting more.

his rebound rate isn't great either, it's actually not much higher than Barg's for reference.

He's a good, solid bench guy, but 4 years $32m is too much.

ChiSox219
01-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Taj is among the best defenders in the league and not a liabilty on offense. That's definitely worth $8m today.

ackar
01-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I'm saying Deng will still be on the Bulls roster after the trade deadline. Because if the FO wants a rotation player and 1st round pick then he will be a Bull. We have to remember that 14 million expiring is very valuable in with today's CBA. Bulls FO probably has a stance if we get the deal with want pull the trigger if not we hold his rights a and try and resign him if not we get the cap space which what I believe they should do.

Stunner
01-06-2014, 08:28 PM

That's hindsight now , nobody knew Asik was gonna be good .

Stunner
01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Taj is among the best defenders in the league and not a liabilty on offense. That's definitely worth $8m today.

Yea this season Taj has earned his contract

Chronz
01-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Had Asik not played a game by then?

Stunner
01-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Had Asik not played a game by then?

No and Noah that season was just turning into the Noah of now . Asik was unproven and just in his rookie year .

shep33
01-06-2014, 09:04 PM
What about the Pistons?

Monroe + Charlie V.

Rndy
01-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I hope he goes to OKC for Shefo a young guy and a pick. Okc bench is underrated

Deng is making 14 million OKC Isn't really an option. Bulls are looking for a young asset and expiring or a draft pick and an expiring. If they don't get that they will just let his 14 mil expire no reason to keep salary around next year they are trying to get out of the tax and continue to build assets.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jw3ntzo

Are you kidding me right now? In what world do the Bulls do that stupidity? The Bulls are trying to get rid of contracts not take on 3 for next year.

Rndy
01-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Actually looking at it OKC has a 6 mil trade exception they might be able to work something out I'm sure the Bulls would want Lamb or Adams out of it which I doubt OKC would do for a 1 year rental unless they saw a future with Deng and Durant sharing time at SF/PF

Does anyone know if you can use 2 trade exceptions on one player? I couldn't find information anywhere about it OKC has 2 trade exceptions or would it have to be another player coming back in the trade to use the other one?

Chronz
01-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Does anyone know if you can use 2 trade exceptions on one player?

Cant combine TPE with players or other exceptions

northsider
01-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Ya my expectations for what we would get back are pretty tempered.

northsider
01-06-2014, 09:37 PM
What about the Pistons?

Monroe + Charlie V.

COuld care less about Charlie but, holy hell I would love to get Monroe. Under Thibs that would be super sexy however I don't think the Pistons would ever do this or am I severely overrating Monroe?

IndyRealist
01-06-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't like the Indy fit. Lance is playing well as their starting 2.

Indy needs a point guard more than anything.

Indy does not need a point guard. Lance Stephenson is the de facto PG, and George Hill mostly plays off ball unless the matchup dictates otherwise. Indy relies on everyone sharing the ball and passing, and when one guy dominates the ball their offense looks miserable.

IndyRealist
01-06-2014, 09:41 PM

The Rockets did.

shep33
01-06-2014, 09:43 PM
COuld care less about Charlie but, holy hell I would love to get Monroe. Under Thibs that would be super sexy however I don't think the Pistons would ever do this or am I severely overrating Monroe?

I bring up Charlie V because he makes the salaries work.

Gotta wonder what the Pistons are thinking right now. They just paid big money to Smith who is pretty much unmovable now. If they pay Monroe, they're kind of screwed because Smith, Monroe and Drummond just doesn't work

northsider
01-06-2014, 09:54 PM
I bring up Charlie V because he makes the salaries work.

Gotta wonder what the Pistons are thinking right now. They just paid big money to Smith who is pretty much unmovable now. If they pay Monroe, they're kind of screwed because Smith, Monroe and Drummond just doesn't work

I just feel like that's an undersell on Monroe. I am also a huge fan of his game so I wold ****ing love that deal.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-06-2014, 09:54 PM
I think Phoenix is a good fit for Deng, and they have a couple of first rounders they could use to entice the Bulls.

sunsfan88
01-06-2014, 10:01 PM
I would like him for Phoenix. Upgrade over Tucker.

Stunner
01-06-2014, 10:12 PM
The Rockets did.

Yea not till two years later and it wasn't like the Bulls didn't want to , they would have if that contract didn't have a poison pill .

Stunner
01-06-2014, 10:13 PM
I would like him for Phoenix. Upgrade over Tucker.

Def trade Deng for Meka , Tucker and a 2014 pick

Stunner
01-06-2014, 10:14 PM
I wanted to trade for Monore this season and amnesty or trade Booz next year .

Rndy
01-06-2014, 10:14 PM

You're not I really like Monroe and it kind of makes sense because DET needs a SF. The Josh Smith experiment was about as stupid as it gets he needs to be back at PF. But Monroe is a free agent next year so it's basically like the Bulls are just giving away Deng for nothing not a real big difference than just letting him walk. I'd want something out of that deal for the future.

It's basically a trade that makes sense but makes no sense if that makes sense! Everyone involved in the trade would most likely be gone the next year from the teams. If the Bulls could somehow keep Monroe not sure how they would unless he really was interested in staying in Chicago. And Deng most likely walks from DET and it's not like their in contention this year so really it's a good trade at a bad time.

Phoenix and Utah are probably my favorite options I'd love a chance to trade Deng + to get Hayward a guy they are having trouble locking up. They could get some future assets for him + the opportunity to lock up Deng. They probably wouldn't do it and instead Hayward is just going to walk unless they step up on an offer. For the Bulls though most of the season has turned into sucking to get a play maker out of the draft I'd easily give up that pick for Hayward who is one of my favorites. Rose-Hayward-Butler-Mirotic-Noah-Snell-Stein(cha pick) is a pretty nice core to move forward with.

Rndy
01-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Indy does not need a point guard. Lance Stephenson is the de facto PG, and George Hill mostly plays off ball unless the matchup dictates otherwise. Indy relies on everyone sharing the ball and passing, and when one guy dominates the ball their offense looks miserable.

Indy uses point guards like they are in a Triangle it's kind of weird. I never realized how good of a ball handler DJ Augustin was because he never had the ****ing ball. Oh well our gain I suppose I really like him as a future back up point guard for the Bulls.

Chronz
01-06-2014, 10:33 PM
You're not I really like Monroe and it kind of makes sense because DET needs a SF. The Josh Smith experiment was about as stupid as it gets he needs to be back at PF. But Monroe is a free agent next year so it's basically like the Bulls are just giving away Deng for nothing not a real big difference than just letting him walk. I'd want something out of that deal for the future.

It's basically a trade that makes sense but makes no sense if that makes sense! Everyone involved in the trade would most likely be gone the next year from the teams. If the Bulls could somehow keep Monroe not sure how they would unless he really was interested in staying in Chicago. And Deng most likely walks from DET and it's not like their in contention this year so really it's a good trade at a bad time.

Phoenix and Utah are probably my favorite options I'd love a chance to trade Deng + to get Hayward a guy they are having trouble locking up. They could get some future assets for him + the opportunity to lock up Deng. They probably wouldn't do it and instead Hayward is just going to walk unless they step up on an offer. For the Bulls though most of the season has turned into sucking to get a play maker out of the draft I'd easily give up that pick for Hayward who is one of my favorites. Rose-Hayward-Butler-Mirotic-Noah-Snell-Stein(cha pick) is a pretty nice core to move forward with.
That made perfect sense. Its as if the trade would be worthwhile if they each had an extra year under contract

sunsfan88
01-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Def trade Deng for Meka , Tucker and a 2014 pick

Okafor, Tucker and Indiana pick? Sure.

Rndy
01-06-2014, 10:54 PM
That made perfect sense. Its as if the trade would be worthwhile if they each had an extra year under contract

Yep! And if the trade doesn't happen and all 3 of those guys stand pat I can just act like it did! Who says the Bulls don't make block buster trades? Not this guy.

R. Johnson#3
01-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Terrence Ross and Landry Fields.

mbsalame123
01-06-2014, 11:27 PM
I think the spurs might be able to make a deal for luol deng however the spurs aren't known for making midseason trades, especially big ones like this.

But I think the Suns have the best to offer... a first round pick (the pacers) and then Omeka Okafor along with PJ Tucker or someone like Pj Tucker would be enough.

However the suns have been shopping Goran Dragic lately and the bulls might be interested. Maybe throw in Dragic and package him with Okafor and a draft pick for Deng and Taj Gibson... but I think the suns are a perfect fit, especially since they are currently in the playoffs so getting Deng and his experience would make them playoff locks

Tmath
01-06-2014, 11:40 PM
He would be a good fit with the Raptors, but the price will be too high.

Tmath
01-06-2014, 11:43 PM
Terrence Ross and Landry Fields.

I'd rather keep Ross. He's playing well and is still on his rookie scale contract.

NBA_Starter
01-06-2014, 11:52 PM
MKG and Gordon?

Stunner
01-07-2014, 12:22 AM
MKG and Gordon?

Deal

Rndy
01-07-2014, 01:09 AM
MKG and Gordon?

I wouldn't not a fan of MKG I'd literally rather let 14 mil expire. The guy just flat out can't shoot and with guys like Rose on the team who really one of their best skill sets is drive and kick I just don't see him having any chance of beating out Snell or Butler for future minutes and which ever guard we get from the draft.

Rndy
01-07-2014, 01:15 AM
I think the spurs might be able to make a deal for luol deng however the spurs aren't known for making midseason trades, especially big ones like this.

But I think the Suns have the best to offer... a first round pick (the pacers) and then Omeka Okafor along with PJ Tucker or someone like Pj Tucker would be enough.

However the suns have been shopping Goran Dragic lately and the bulls might be interested. Maybe throw in Dragic and package him with Okafor and a draft pick for Deng and Taj Gibson... but I think the suns are a perfect fit, especially since they are currently in the playoffs so getting Deng and his experience would make them playoff locks

I do agree with the Suns being a good fit only because they would be more willing to give up a first rounder with having two of them. They have everything the Bulls want a first round pick and expiring deals they don't have to worry about next year. Also I'd love to work out a deal with Okafor to take over Nazr spot for back up center if teams still aren't in the business of giving this man buckets of money that is.

SPURSFAN1
01-07-2014, 01:55 AM
So he goes to cleveland.

Shammyguy3
01-07-2014, 03:36 AM

Carmelo Anthony was traded on February 22nd, 2011. At that point, 626 minutes over 54 games... or, only 11.6mpg. Kurt Thomas at the age of 37 played more minutes than Asik. Omer Asik was averaging 5.89 personal fouls per36 minutes played.

This is a ridiculous statement. Rethink your stance.

Already been discussed, you're wrong

Wow, seriously like not even a full day later they found their balls! Seriously like, 7 hours later they found them!

nycericanguy
01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Wow, seriously like not even a full day later they found their balls! Seriously like, 7 hours later they found them!

lol yea they finally manned up...

I said the deal that made most sense was for Bynum & Waiters... wasn't far off. If I'm CHI, I would have preferred Waiters in the deal... Thibs could have turned him into a star and he would have been a great fit at SG while moving Butler to the 3. CHI would have been setup with 2 young, cheap, under control wing players for the next 3-4 years.

Good deal anyway, but the picks they got are way too iffy... could turn into 2nd rounders in a couple of years.

koreancabbage
01-07-2014, 12:56 PM
lol yea they finally manned up...

I said the deal that made most sense was for Bynum & Waiters... wasn't far off. If I'm CHI, I would have preferred Waiters in the deal... Thibs could have turned him into a star and he would have been a great fit at SG while moving Butler to the 3. CHI would have been setup with 2 young, cheap, under control wing players for the next 3-4 years.

Good deal anyway, but the picks they got are way too iffy... could turn into 2nd rounders in a couple of years.

i don't think they would have traded Waiters away. They have had horrible luck with the talent they pick up.

kdspurman
01-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Closing this since he's been moved..

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?850293-Deng-traded-to-the-Cavs-for-Bynum-and-a-pick