PDA

View Full Version : Are The Rockets Championship worthy?

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm a Rockets fan , a very critical one. I believe we have a lot of young talent but we're also soft and too young. I hear a lot, "Let the talent develop" but I look at other teams who already have young talent that has developed, OKC GSW LAC and IND . For those outside The Rockets fan base what do you think about our team right now and going forward. Can we win a title with Harden Howard Parsons and Lin? If not what do you guys think we are missing?

SPURSFAN1
01-06-2014, 04:35 PM
No.

king4day
01-06-2014, 04:38 PM
This year I don't think they are. I do believe they'll tweak the roster while they have Harden and Howard though.
It's important that they don't waste Asik. Get something/someone that will help. Even if it's picks. You can spin that into something too.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
No.

Lol I agree but What if we traded Asik/Lin/Parsons for Garnett and Pierce?

NYKnickFanatic
01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
No.

HELL NO. Probably lowers your chances.

SPURSFAN1
01-06-2014, 04:44 PM

Are you serious? Asik Lin Parsons are better than G&P but I don't know how asik lin and parsons step up their game in the playoffs.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Are you serious? Asik Lin Parsons are better than G&P but I don't know how asik lin and parsons step up their game in the playoffs.
Yeah thats where I'm concerned I know Lin isnt good , Parsons is good but he isnt a reliable scorer in the half court game. We lack toughness and defense I think Pierce and Garnett will thrive playing off Harden/Howard and I think P/Kg can teach howard and harden to be better players

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 04:49 PM
No.

yeah but you can't go by how they look without Brook and Dwill as role players they'll look way better. Look what rondo did for them usually veterans need superstars to cover their flaws

b@llhog24
01-06-2014, 04:49 PM
They have the talent but I don't see it.

SPURSFAN1
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Yeah thats where I'm concerned I know Lin isnt good , Parsons is good but he isnt a reliable scorer in the half court game. We lack toughness and defense I think Pierce and Garnett will thrive playing off Harden/Howard and I think P/Kg can teach howard and harden to be better players

Too many Chiefs and not enough indians is bad for howard. He likes to be the only big dog in town. Harden is the only exception.

BenFrank
01-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Your burning us Farren.. I guess u haven't seen how much hate Rockets players get on this site.. this won't end well

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Too many Chiefs and not enough indians is bad for howard. He likes to be the only big dog in town. Harden is the only exception.
maybe but i dnt know howard so i cant say that but on paper and theoretically speaking adding Kg defensive presents along with pierce scoring/shooting makes the rockets championship contenders . IMO

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Depends on harden.
If Howard locks down the paint, you have a solid shot.

And Howard is capable of being a game changer defensively in the playoffs if all the other players around him know what defense is.

xxplayerxx23
01-06-2014, 04:58 PM
No. They can't win.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Am I the only one impressed with the way Lin has been playing this year? At least offensively..

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Your burning us Farren.. I guess u haven't seen how much hate Rockets players get on this site.. this won't end well

I'm not a Rockets fan who cares about what other people think. Honestly I see what they see I'm not going to give my team any slack. Not being hard on them wont make them winners. EXAMPLE TMAC AND YAO we "babied" those guys an look where it got us.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Depends on harden.
If Howard locks down the paint, you have a solid shot.

And Howard is capable of being a game changer defensively in the playoffs if all the other players around him know what defense is.

We can play defense well at times just not enough veterans around to get in there head . Our leaders are tooooooo friendly

shep33
01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Not this year. Their defense on the perimeter is kinda weak. A lot of times they live and die by the 3.

Honestly think they need a new coach

Minimal
01-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Rockets are one of those teams that are gonna be eaten by great defensive teams in the playoffs.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Am I the only one impressed with the way Lin has been playing this year? At least offensively..

I think because Lin was so bad last year the little improvement he has mad this year has you guys delusional.

Sadds The Gr8
01-06-2014, 05:21 PM
nope

Blitzace137
01-06-2014, 05:22 PM
I think because Lin was so bad last year the little improvement he has mad this year has you guys delusional.

Lin is shooting close to 50% from the field, you don't like Lin for whatever reason. 14 and 6 last season is "so bad" to you? lmao.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Either way, compared to last year, he has improved.

Blitzace137
01-06-2014, 05:25 PM

:puke:

gatkins11
01-06-2014, 05:25 PM
No.

This.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Lin is shooting close to 50% from the field, you don't like Lin for whatever reason. 14 and 6 last season is "so bad" to you? lmao.

Dude Lin has A LOT of bone head plays on both ends. I hate people go to stats you'll think that its effective but dude he seriously suck . I'm not the kinda guy to call someone sorry if they're good but he sucks . Go to a Rockets game all you hear is "Aww man Lin" "Cmon Lin" "Wtf Lin" . I'm not even kidding he suck

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 05:29 PM

true but he suck man he really does

DreamShaker
01-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Need to get something for Asik. He is a drain taking up a spot with that bogus injury refusing to play. When Greg Smith and D-Mo are your only big man bench options, you are screwed.

DreamShaker
01-06-2014, 05:51 PM

He's hit and miss. Can really be a difference maker scoring, but he makes really knucklehead plays far too often. It sometimes negates all the good he does in a game. An example being him scoring well against the Knicks, then having severe mental lapses all in a row, killing the momentim, and then being benched the entire 4th quarter in favor of Aaron Brooks, who was shooting bricks left and right. If he slows down and thinks more, he will be solid. The talent is there.

NYtilIdie
01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
They're definitely a good team, but I feel like the coaching is what is going to hold them back. They play like they don't really have a strategy outside of chucking 3's and feeding Dwight in the paint then once the 4th quarter hits then its just iso-Harden.

I can see a team like Spurs easily taking advantage of that.

DreamShaker
01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Not this year. Their defense on the perimeter is kinda weak. A lot of times they live and die by the 3.

Honestly think they need a new coach

Very possible. If George Karl was the coach, this team would be about 5 games better at least. So many games where there was no focus. I love McHale, he's well liked by the whole team it seems,but I don't know if he's the guy for the job. I don't think Les and DM will fire him, either.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 06:05 PM
He's hit and miss. Can really be a difference maker scoring, but he makes really knucklehead plays far too often. It sometimes negates all the good he does in a game. An example being him scoring well against the Knicks, then having severe mental lapses all in a row, killing the momentim, and then being benched the entire 4th quarter in favor of Aaron Brooks, who was shooting bricks left and right. If he slows down and thinks more, he will be solid. The talent is there.
Finally someone agrees with me . The talent is there but I don't think he will ever get it This is his 3rd year and he still looks like a middle school ball player with NBA athleticism.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 06:07 PM
They're definitely a good team, but I feel like the coaching is what is going to hold them back. They play like they don't really have a strategy outside of chucking 3's and feeding Dwight in the paint then once the 4th quarter hits then its just iso-Harden.

I can see a team like Spurs easily taking advantage of that.

It's not the coaching , Thats how the nba is played now 3s and lay-ups . I think the rockets seriously Lack toughness . I cant name one tough guy outside of Pat Bev.

RLundi
01-06-2014, 06:22 PM
No. Not consistent enough.

PacersForLife
01-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Like others have said, I don't think they are consistent enough and I don't really like their style. Harden seems to slack off a lot, especially on D. They need better perimeter defense.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Like others have said, I don't think they are consistent enough and I don't really like their style. Harden seems to slack off a lot, especially on D. They need better perimeter defense.
the pacers are inconsistent. That offense is suspect.

tredigs
01-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Shep got it.

I think the talent is there to win (or very close), but I'm not sold on their commitment to truly be a championship caliber team and it doesn't look like that will be changing under McHale.

SugeKnight
01-06-2014, 07:34 PM
I think they have an outside shot. They can beat anyone if they are hitting 3s, and Howard has really improved their defense.

KnicksorBust
01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
They should have traded Asik by now. His value will not increase. Take the best offer out there. At this point I dont see the value in packaging Lin or Parsons with him when both are young and have built in chemistry. If Asik moves before the deadline then I would say yes. Harden and Howard is more than enough to push a team over the top.

Daze9900
01-06-2014, 07:59 PM
No because they do not defend. Maybe with time they will start to come together as a defensive group. They are good on offense. Don't know what the answer is as the 4 spot. Need a good sixth man not named Beverly.

CluTcH_c1tY
01-06-2014, 08:23 PM
As much as I would love to say yes, frankly I don't see it this year. We have one of the worst perimeter defenses in the league and no big man off the bench. Our coaching style sucks, live and die by the three. There are stretches where this team looks amazing, but their isn't no consistency. When we lose to top tier teams, the Rox get blown out. Hopefully they turn it around, the talent is there to make some noice. Oh and Casspi and Garcia suck!

PacersForLife
01-06-2014, 08:27 PM

I was meaning inconsistent as in wins. We might now win pretty, but we do it pretty consistently.

c.c.
01-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Ummmmmmm

Chronz
01-06-2014, 09:03 PM
The only way they are contenders is if Harden does what Tmac and Kobe did come playoff time, stop lagging it defensively.

Blitzace137
01-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Dude Lin has A LOT of bone head plays on both ends. I hate people go to stats you'll think that its effective but dude he seriously suck . I'm not the kinda guy to call someone sorry if they're good but he sucks . Go to a Rockets game all you hear is "Aww man Lin" "Cmon Lin" "Wtf Lin" . I'm not even kidding he suck

I watch most of the Rocket games Harden does the same ****, he throws the ball away on ally's, looses the ball in traffic. Harden is better than Lin and does more for the team that's why his mental lapses aren't pointed out as much as Lin's. When you have attacking guards and run a fast paced offense TO's will happen.

ThaDubs
01-06-2014, 09:27 PM
No.

Blitzace137
01-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Finally someone agrees with me . The talent is there but I don't think he will ever get it This is his 3rd year and he still looks like a middle school ball player with NBA athleticism.

Lowry and Dragic took 4+ seasons to figure it out. You need time to learn how to play PG and run a team in the NBA. Even Conley admitted he didn't know what he was doing when he first came into the league.

IndyRealist
01-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Indy developed quickly because, a) Paul George was force fed shots and they let him make mistakes and figure it out, and b) they brought in David West. This team is a direct reflection of West's attitude and toughness. And Indy isn't all that young. George Hill and Roy Hibbert are both 27. CJ Watson is 29, West is 34, Scola is 33, Mahimni is 27, and Granger is 30. Paul George and Lance Stephenson are the only young rotation players (both 23).

lol, please
01-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Of course not. They are a good team, but contenders they are not. They go as far in the playoffs as the Warriors let them, assuming the Rockets even get in.

Tony_Starks
01-07-2014, 02:01 AM
No. 1st round knock out.

FOBolous
01-07-2014, 03:36 AM
farren.louis is to Jeremy Lin what John_Wall_Era is to Dwight Howard. They both hate on the respective players without reason and trash them every chance they get. you can't have an objective discussion with either of them about either players. They're basically trolls. why do yall acknowledge them?

Saddletramp
01-07-2014, 04:09 AM
Farren Louis brings up his Lin hate and wants Lin, Asik and Parsons traded for Pierce and KG in the Rockets forum and basically gets laughed at so he brings this asinine trade scenario to the main forum and basically gets laughed at.

Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett are overpaid and physically on the decline not to mention Garnett has another year and $12M on his deal. And even if the Rockets trade Lin and Asik, they could do a lot better and Chandler Parsons isn't going anywhere. Just calm down with all of this talk.

And stop saying idiotic things like

Dude Lin has A LOT of bone head plays on both ends. I hate people go to stats you'll think that its effective but dude he seriously suck .... I'm not even kidding he suck

DitchDat
01-07-2014, 08:15 AM
I don't believe so. They are one piece away IMHO.

RollingWave
01-07-2014, 11:59 PM
We went into the season saying that they're a high ceiling team that might take some time to figure things out. and so far that's exactly what they been. will they figure things out? how long will it take? no one can really answer that question.

As of today, the answer is obviously no, but by end of the season? who knows really.

As for Lin, it's amusing that when most other teams don't do well, the blame mostly falls on the star, but not the Rocket no siree, it's not James Harden taking the team away from their game and playing no defense that's the problem of course, it's Jeremy Lin not making magic happen without ever touching the ball.

CluTcH_c1tY
01-08-2014, 12:08 AM
Of course not. They are a good team, but contenders they are not. They go as far in the playoffs as the Warriors let them, assuming the Rockets even get in.

Funny thing is Rockets are 2-0 vs the Warriors and are 5-1 versus them in the past 6 meetings. So I highly doubt the Rockets are worried about the Warriors.

RLundi
01-08-2014, 12:47 AM

:rolleyes:

SouthSideRookie
01-08-2014, 01:11 AM
No.

http://www.abload.de/img/curryscalfnrbw.gif

Funny thing is Rockets are 2-0 vs the Warriors and are 5-1 versus them in the past 6 meetings. So I highly doubt the Rockets are worried about the Warriors.

They're hyping up the Warriors like crazy. They were crying about Iggy's injury while he was out. They conveniently ignore that the Rockets themselves have had as many injuries if not more than GS.

Houston isn't a legit contender atm. For now let's wait and see what Morey does with Asik. Just get more chemistry going and mature as a team. Then when Morey lands the third star, it'll really be on.

BenFrank
01-08-2014, 01:28 AM
After viewing everyone's opinion, mostly everyone is speaking from a non bias point of view, and as a Rockets fan I have to agree!! I don't think they are a 1st round exit, depending on match up.. but unless our defense gets better, we shouldn't even be thinking bout a championship.. It's like Morey said B4 the season started, were still missing one piece..

TMAC94
01-08-2014, 01:38 AM
Not yet.

alexander_37
01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
maybe but i dnt know howard so i cant say that but on paper and theoretically speaking adding Kg defensive presents along with pierce scoring/shooting makes the rockets championship contenders . IMO

LOLOLOLOL maybe 5 years ago.

Lin has been elite in catch and shoot situations and driving to the rim ( both top 5 % wise among PG's)

Sly Guy
01-08-2014, 01:54 PM

I will admit that too, grudgingly as I've disrespected him a lot in the past. He's playing pretty well, and by that, I mean average starter in this league well.

As for the rockets as a whole, they can be championship contender, but they're still taking time to find chemistry. This question would be better asked after the all-star break.

NBA_Starter
01-08-2014, 11:27 PM
I think they need an upgrade with coaching.

Tony_Starks
01-09-2014, 02:25 AM
Not better than Portland, OKC, Spurs, Clippers, or Warriors. And also has arguably the weakest coach out of all the teams mentioned.

Give them a legit starting PG, a couple hard nose vets, and Jerry Sloan or Nate McMillan and then we can talk...

rhino17
01-09-2014, 02:54 AM
They just need to be healthy. The defense will improve with Bev and asik coming back. That allows Jeremy to be the 6th man again where he thrives. McHale is only an average coach, but heis really fun implementing moneys gameplay anyway. The team is too talented to not have a chance. They'll at least finish in the top 3

Riodagoat
01-09-2014, 03:09 AM
They need a better PG and some vets. Can't win a chip without good vets.

b@llhog24
01-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Not better than Portland, OKC, Spurs, Clippers, or Warriors. And also has arguably the weakest coach out of all the teams mentioned.

Give them a legit starting PG, a couple hard nose vets, and Jerry Sloan or Nate McMillan and then we can talk...

Harden, Lin and Dwight would hate Nate.

blahblahyoutoo
01-09-2014, 03:31 PM
not as long as MIA and OKC are around.

blahblahyoutoo
01-09-2014, 03:38 PM

uhhhh, not even close.
G and P are done.
Parsons is a budding star. he won't ever be a #1 but he will be a nice #3 and above par role/glue guy that could make AS one day.

blahblahyoutoo
01-09-2014, 03:45 PM

you asked for opinions in this thread and received one and you proceed to personally attack the responder's team.
wtf is wrong with you?

SteBO
01-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I consider them a dark-horse team if all goes well....Dwight has been pretty consistent to me based on what I've watched. Harden as well, though there's a lot to be desired defensively. If they're healthy, I'd give them a shot but it's pretty unlikely.

houstonfan
01-09-2014, 04:01 PM

While I agree with you our coach is awful, I do not agree that we couldnt beat SAS (beat them twice in San Antonio already), Portland, or Golden State (beat them twice already). OKC and LAC would be a problem if Westbrook and CP3 are healthy. I think we are a second round exit unless we got Portland in the first round in a 4-5 seed matchup with San Antonio as the 1 seed. And we are fine at point guard.

KnicksorBust
01-09-2014, 04:17 PM
The notion that a team with 2 ALL-NBA players wouldnt be Championship worthy would be more absurd to me.

D-Leethal
01-09-2014, 04:21 PM
They are too young, not enough leadership, not enough toughness, questionable depth, need more vets. I see second round fodder for SAS or OKC at this point.

BRADfromOZ
01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Not yet. But give Morey a chance to juggle the roster a little...

3RDASYSTEM
01-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm a Rockets fan , a very critical one. I believe we have a lot of young talent but we're also soft and too young. I hear a lot, "Let the talent develop" but I look at other teams who already have young talent that has developed, OKC GSW LAC and IND . For those outside The Rockets fan base what do you think about our team right now and going forward. Can we win a title with Harden Howard Parsons and Lin? If not what do you guys think we are missing?

Of course the ROCKETS are legit contenders and still could add a piece, first off any team in history of nba can contend if you can rebound and score which they have no prob at all doing, 2nd they have 2 legit all nba caliber players along with up and coming fringe all star talent in PARSONS and now T JONES

The HC isn't nothing to get excited about but at least he has talent at pretty much all level and now if ASIK gets his head together I don't see why they wont be strong contenders for next 3-5 years if kept together and add a piece like KORVER or a playmaker to go along with HARDEN on perimeter

3RDASYSTEM
01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
They are too young, not enough leadership, not enough toughness, questionable depth, need more vets. I see second round fodder for SAS or OKC at this point.

HOWARD-HARDEN have plenty of nba experience to lead a squad and both have FINALS appearances and losing should only enhance the hunger and focus to make it back as a tandem, they have a good enough bench so I don't understand the depth part since from what I have heard and watched they have been decimated with injuries and have guys off the bench who could or has started in the league

toughness is overrated because as long as you can rebound and score at top 5 clip in the nba then you are in the conversation being contenders for a title

everything you basically said was a fodder

brandt
01-11-2014, 11:17 PM
I'm a Rocket's fan too and no way!!! They need a least another piece or two.

lol, please
01-12-2014, 12:41 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: Well said. Bravo.

farren.louis
01-12-2014, 01:35 AM
HOWARD-HARDEN have plenty of nba experience to lead a squad and both have FINALS appearances and losing should only enhance the hunger and focus to make it back as a tandem, they have a good enough bench so I don't understand the depth part since from what I have heard and watched they have been decimated with injuries and have guys off the bench who could or has started in the league

toughness is overrated because as long as you can rebound and score at top 5 clip in the nba then you are in the conversation being contenders for a title

everything you basically said was a fodder
Dude u need toughness to win anything in life. In the finals , you win by playing defense , in order to play defense you have to be tough ! The rockets can't beat the pacers getting man handled.

farren.louis
01-12-2014, 01:37 AM
you asked for opinions in this thread and received one and you proceed to personally attack the responder's team.
wtf is wrong with you?
Lol shut up man just shut up

bofakop
01-12-2014, 01:49 AM
I think if they could bring in a Ryan Anderson type Power forward they could very well be in the conversation for a championship. They should see what they can get for Asik.. ideal type would be a big that could play both C and PF that has an outside shot and get some boards(poor mans K Love). They need Beverly back and healthy too.