PDA

View Full Version : Kobe to fans: "Don't vote me to All-Star team"

JNA17
01-06-2014, 01:48 AM
"Even though there's so much respect that comes from me to be able to play for the fans, I'd much rather see the young guys go out there and play in the game," Bryant said before the Lakers faced Denver on Sunday night. "They've obviously put the work in to be there that weekend, so I'd much rather see them go in there and participate."

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/01/05/kobe-bryant-lakers-all-star-team.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

Can't he just decline if it happens?

jaydubb
01-06-2014, 01:59 AM
Dayum... If there was a way i could take back my 10,000 votes i would... :(

Duncan = Donkey
01-06-2014, 02:00 AM
just dont play

cmellofan15
01-06-2014, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure there is an instance where he can bow out. I remember someone stepping out of the starting line up for Iverson but that's the only situation I can think of.

SugeKnight
01-06-2014, 02:15 AM
Props to Kobe, he doesn't deserve it this year. He'll still get voted in ahead of Curry

Matter.
01-06-2014, 02:17 AM
He said to vote for Lillard

P&GRealist
01-06-2014, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure there is an instance where he can bow out. I remember someone stepping out of the starting line up for Iverson but that's the only situation I can think of.

2003, Vince Carter gave up his starting spot to MJ as it was his final all-star game.

P&GRealist
01-06-2014, 02:24 AM
Some records Kobe is still chasing all-star game history wise.

He is currently tied with MJ for most steals in the all-star game. Just needs 1 last steal to get the record.

He is also tied with Bob Petit for most All-star MVPs (4). I'm sure he wants to go down with 1 more for the record.

Chronz
01-06-2014, 02:50 AM
Tmac did the same and the fans obliged. Will Kobe-stans follow suit?

sunsfan88
01-06-2014, 03:06 AM
With him and CP3 both missing the game, Dragic should get make it at least as an alternate. He's playing fantastic and All Star caliber ball this season.

force_within
01-06-2014, 03:18 AM
Kobe should have said this before the season started, too late..

IKnowHoops
01-06-2014, 03:22 AM

Vince Carter stepped out for Jordan

IKnowHoops
01-06-2014, 03:29 AM

He is currently tied with MJ for most steals in the all-star game. Just needs 1 last steal to get the record.

He is also tied with Bob Petit for most All-star MVPs (4). I'm sure he wants to go down with 1 more for the record.

Will never happen

IKnowHoops
01-06-2014, 03:30 AM
With him and CP3 both missing the game, Dragic should get make it at least as an alternate. He's playing fantastic and All Star caliber ball this season.

Heck no.

Chronz
01-06-2014, 03:35 AM

Any idea on how many steals it would take to beat him in STL per game?

Shortys4711
01-06-2014, 04:17 AM
Heck no.
Dragic should be an All Star this year. If u think otherwise then u haven't been watching any suns games. I know it's hard coz the west is stacked but he's been killing it this year.

PurpleJesus
01-06-2014, 06:51 AM
unlike most here, I am fine with legacy votes for the all star game. It is a nice way for fans to honor the legacy of players in their twilight.

DitchDat
01-06-2014, 07:23 AM
I respect him for this. Fan bases play a huge part in the voting and that's why always-injured guys like Yao always seemed to get in. Kobe is injured, he should not be voted in based on his play.

FlashBolt
01-06-2014, 08:33 AM
Some people still don't understand that it is a popularity contest and not some "he deserves it" crap. It's a star-studded event and I want to see Kobe out there. He may not deserve it because of the limited games but I'm not paying money to watch no-name Dragic d'ing up James.

Swashcuff
01-06-2014, 09:09 AM
[/B]

Will never happen

This is Kobe Bryant you're talking about not some scrub. If anyone can do it he can, I've learned from Kobe never to count him out when he's supposed to be down.

Wade n Fade
01-06-2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.nba.com/2014/news/01/05/kobe-bryant-lakers-all-star-team.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

Can't he just decline if it happens?

I am glad Kobe said this because he is no shape to play in the game. This goes back to my topic I started weeks ago. He definitely has more of my respect after this. Lilliard is the perfect PG to represent the West.

Jamiecballer
01-06-2014, 09:41 AM
didn't expect that from kobe. good job.

Theyhateme459
01-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Some people still don't understand that it is a popularity contest and not some "he deserves it" crap. It's a star-studded event and I want to see Kobe out there. He may not deserve it because of the limited games but I'm not paying money to watch no-name Dragic d'ing up James.

Paying $$$? What money do you pay just for watching the all star game?

unlike most here, I am fine with legacy votes for the all star game. It is a nice way for fans to honor the legacy of players in their twilight.

I would be fine with this if they change the name, just don't call it the 2013-14 all star game then. Call it the fan favorite contest or something like that. But don't pretend the game is for the best players that current season... Or have part of player deals max contracts depend on all star games "the Derrick rose rule"

b@llhog24
01-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Nice. Was hoping he did/said something like this.

Bruno
01-06-2014, 01:10 PM
meaningless gesture.

he will be voted in, then replaced. thats how this goes. he gets the all-star nod, and which ever young player who the coaches feel deserve the nod will as well. nobodies missing out because Kobes getting the vote, the roster spot will be filled regardless.

farren.louis
01-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Any idea on how many steals it would take to beat him in STL per game?

:clap: :cheers:

sunsfan88
01-06-2014, 04:36 PM

But you were fine with paying money to watch no-name Luol Deng, Zach Randolph, Mo Williams all in the all star game?

sunsfan88
01-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Heck no.

Only Curry, Harden, Lillard and Parker are more worthy of being an All Star this season from the guards in the West.

I didn't include Westbrook either cause he's still out.

JNA17
01-06-2014, 05:17 PM
I am glad Kobe said this because he is no shape to play in the game. This goes back to my topic I started weeks ago. He definitely has more of my respect after this. Lilliard is the perfect PG to represent the West.

If Chris Paul can't play, I would love to see Lillard and Curry as the two starting guards.

moshy2
01-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Good job to Kobe. There's no reason he should be playing or voted as a starter. There's many more deserving players

Tony_Starks
01-07-2014, 02:36 AM
Cool that he endorsed Lillard. He won't get voted in but hopefully putting his name out there will keep the buzz going for the coaches to pick him...

Corey
01-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Dragic should be an All Star this year. If u think otherwise then u haven't been watching any suns games. I know it's hard coz the west is stacked but he's been killing it this year.

IT in Sac is having a better year.

I love Dragic though.

NBA_Starter
01-07-2014, 11:34 PM
What a noble gesture and even said to vote for Damian Lillard.

slashsnake
01-08-2014, 12:53 AM
I'd of course play if I was him, not just for the records. And to be honest, he has a shot at the all-star MVP. It isn't like anyone is playing defense out there, and if he got 15 good looks he could make quite a few of them.

As for why.. Well the all star game isn't about the best players. It's about who the fans want to see on the team. That's it. It usually happens to be 5 great players, but not always. There's 7 other spots to make on basketball merit plus the all nba teams if that is what you want. In this case its about who the fans want to see. If that's Kobe, so be it.

Tony_Starks
01-08-2014, 01:11 AM
It's a fine line. You want to give back to the fans that are showing you love, but at the same time he respects the game and his fellow players enough to acknowledge he shouldn't be there.....

Like someone else said with CP3 down if it turned out to be Lillard and Steph starting I would love it!!!! Would be like a passing of the torch of sorts as well.....

Pierre The Poet
01-09-2014, 06:31 PM
If he was voted in he should play. The game is for the people and the people want to see him. If he's healthy he should play.

TheIlladelph16
01-09-2014, 06:51 PM
If he was voted in he should play. The game is for the people and the people want to see him. If he's healthy he should play.

Why would you even want him to play in a meaningless game considering his extensive mileage as a player and current injury predicament?

Pierre The Poet
01-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Why would you even want him to play in a meaningless game considering his extensive mileage as a player and current injury predicament?

I've never understood that argument honestly. So if he gets injured in an all star game it's worse than if he gets injured in some regular season game? The outcome is the same. The stress that he'd put on his body during an all star game would probably be less than the physical stress of a practice or a scrimmage. No one is trying.

RaiderLakersA's
01-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Tip the hat to the Mamba. He's quietly becoming one of the ambassadors of this game and a guy that the young guns can look up to for input and support.

TheIlladelph16
01-10-2014, 03:55 PM
I've never understood that argument honestly. So if he gets injured in an all star game it's worse than if he gets injured in some regular season game? The outcome is the same. The stress that he'd put on his body during an all star game would probably be less than the physical stress of a practice or a scrimmage. No one is trying.

Well one game is almost entirely meaningless and one actually counts for your playoff seeding, so I would say one is worse than the other. I wouldn't want him rushing back so he can play in the All-Star game, which is a joke to begin with. He already had a second injury this season that could be attributed to him rushing back in the first place, why would I want him to get back for a game that doesn't help my team in any way?

Pierre The Poet
01-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Well one game is almost entirely meaningless and one actually counts for your playoff seeding, so I would say one is worse than the other. I wouldn't want him rushing back so he can play in the All-Star game, which is a joke to begin with. He already had a second injury this season that could be attributed to him rushing back in the first place, why would I want him to get back for a game that doesn't help my team in any way?

I'm not saying he should RUSH back just for the All-Star game, I'm saying that if he's actively playing regular season games then he should play

Chronz
01-10-2014, 05:10 PM

what are your star guards this year?

Pierre The Poet
01-11-2014, 02:07 AM
No one wants to see Dragic in the all star game

lol, please
01-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Well said Kobe. :clap:

ManRam
01-12-2014, 01:13 AM
trying to reason with kobe fans: lol

;)

love y'all