PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post: Rangers’ Chris Kreider is top rookie in first half of NHL season

SLY WILLIAMS
01-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Rangers’ Chris Kreider is top rookie in first half of NHL season

By Neil Greenberg

One of the toughest awards to handicap this season is the Calder Memorial Trophy, awarded to the league’s top rookie. Blue-liners Seth Jones (Nashville) and Torey Krug (Boston), goaltenders Martin Jones (Los Angeles) and Cam Talbot (New York Rangers) and forwards Valeri Nichushkin (Dallas) and Nathan MacKinnon (Colorado) are all compelling cases. But the most deserving at the halfway point of the season is the Rangers’ Chris Kreider.

The Boston College standout made an impressive NHL debut during the 2012 playoffs, scoring seven points in 18 games before the Rangers succumbed to the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference finals. The following regular season, his first in the NHL, was a bit of a disappointment as he split time between Broadway and the AHL and scored just three points in 23 games with New York. This season he appears to be realizing his potential.

Kreider has 22 points in 35 games, third among rookies. But even more impressive is that 17 of those points have been either goals or primary assists. His physical play has him credited for 90 hits, 38 more than the other team dishes out when he is on the ice.

However, most of the power forward’s contributions don’t even show up on the scoresheet. Ignoring special teams and lead-protecting situations, the Rangers have outshot opponents 250 to 192 (56.6 percent) when Kreider skates. Those same linemates in the same situations take just 47.6 percent of the shot attempts without Kreider, indicating a massive tilting of the ice. And it isn’t coming against soft competition. Here are the shifts (courtesy of ShiftChart.com) from the Dec. 18 matchup against Pittsburgh. Notice how Rangers Coach Alain Vigneault used Kreider against Sidney Crosby’s line, especially during the first period:

It’s been that way for Kreider the entire season. In fact, the 10 opponents he has faced most often based on even-strength ice time include not only Crosby line but Jaromir Jagr’s and Alex Ovechkin’s as well — and none of those have scored a goal against him at even strength.

To recap: Scoring? Check. Driving puck possession? Check. Playing against top competition? Check. Rookie of the year front-runner? Check.http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2014/01/04/rangers-chris-kreider-is-top-rookie-in-first-half-of-nhl-season/

NYR_NYJ
01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
I liked that he stood up to Phaneuf ladt night.

metswon69
01-05-2014, 03:33 PM
I was watching the CBC feed some last night and they were mentioning how fast Kreider was. They had recorded speed on him from his blue line to the net at something like 22 mph on 2 of his breakaways. As good as MacKinnon has been and with Hertl now hurt, CK should be the favorite imo.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-05-2014, 03:40 PM
I was watching the CBC feed some last night and they were mentioning how fast Kreider was. They had recorded speed on him from his blue line to the net at something like 22 mph on 2 of his breakaways. As good as MacKinnon has been and with Hertl now hurt, CK should still be the favorite imo.

I wonder if that feed was the one I was watching. They also showed Chris's speed on the screen but they said 34 kilometers per hour.

bsi
01-05-2014, 03:48 PM
I'd love to see him win it but Seth Jones has been very good too, as well as MacKinnon. MacKinnon might be even more impressive considering he's been mostly used on the 3rd line, but Kreider has really improved this year. His speed is second to none, and the bounce play off the boards is something that they should be using more with him and Hagelin.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-05-2014, 03:58 PM
I'd love to see him win it but Seth Jones has been very good too, as well as MacKinnon. MacKinnon might be even more impressive considering he's been mostly used on the 3rd line, but Kreider has really improved this year. His speed is second to none, and the bounce play off the boards is something that they should be using more with him and Hagelin.

Rumor has it that Hags beat Kreider in a training camp race but it was not an official race.

bsi
01-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Rumor has it that Hags beat Kreider in a training camp race but it was not an official race.

Ya, probably true but in game speed is different, Hags has to let up sometimes when someone gets in his way, he likes to chip it around them and start skating again, but Kreider continues to churn away and pick up speed. It's basically the size difference but Hagelins speed is primarily used when he doesn't have the puck, Kreiders is used with or without it.

SLY WILLIAMS
01-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Ya, probably true but in game speed is different, Hags has to let up sometimes when someone gets in his way, he likes to chip it around them and start skating again, but Kreider continues to churn away and pick up speed. It's basically the size difference but Hagelins speed is primarily used when he doesn't have the puck, Kreiders is used with or without it.

Between Kreider, Hags, McD, and Moore we have some of the best skaters in the league. I like seeing that.

NYSPORTS98
01-05-2014, 11:09 PM
Between Kreider, Hags, McD, and Moore we have some of the best skaters in the league. I like seeing that.

+ Brassard IMO yet i have no idea whatbis between his ears.

Yankee Clipper
01-05-2014, 11:11 PM

Especially Hags and Kreider. Those guys absolutely fly.

J4KOP99
01-05-2014, 11:53 PM
Glad to see Kreider getting that respect. He really is turning into quite the player. I also loved seeing him "fight" Celine Dion last night. If you're that big and you're throwing the body around, you're gonna have to fight every once in a while.

metswon69
01-06-2014, 12:18 AM
CK has been an entirely different player this year. He looks really confident that he belongs, he looks stronger, faster, and he's playing much more aggressively. Doesn't seem to be worried that he could be benched for a mistake or a bad penalty either.

metswon69
01-06-2014, 03:15 AM
I wonder if that feed was the one I was watching. They also showed Chris's speed on the screen but they said 34 kilometers per hour.

Yeah I think it was. I have the Gamecenter package to go with MSG and sometimes I like to switch off to other announcers. It's hard for me to do it though because it's not quite the same without Sam and Joe. Unless they are playing the Islanders because I like Howie as he does the Mets radio broadcasts :D.

The only feed I refuse to switch on is when they play the Devils with Cangialosi and Resch. I don't mind Resch but Cangialosi is a different story.

But yeah Kreider just flies obviously. I hope he is in the Fastest Skater and Breakaway competition this year just to show the national audience his speed.

jomota
01-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Yeah I think it was. I have the Gamecenter package to go with MSG and sometimes I like to switch off to other announcers. It's hard for me to do it though because it's not quite the same without Sam and Joe. Unless they are playing the Islanders because I like Howie as he does the Mets radio broadcasts :D.

The only feed I refuse to switch on is when they play the Devils with Cangialosi and Resch. I don't mind Resch but Cangialosi is a different story.

But yeah Kreider just flies obviously. I hope he is in the Fastest Skater and Breakaway competition this year just to show the national audience his speed.

I live out of the area. Who are the Ranger announcers now?

Thanks in advance.

J4KOP99
01-08-2014, 12:35 AM
Sam Rosen and joe micheletti

IAmARanger18
01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Calder Trophy winner this year.

bsi
01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Calder Trophy winner this year.

Hope so...but he has his work cut out to beat MacKinnon.

IAmARanger18
01-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Hope so...but he has his work cut out to beat MacKinnon.

He can, he's been getting chances, he should have 20 goals already honestly.

redwhiteandblue
01-10-2014, 02:39 PM
IMO it will come down to him and MacKinnon.

Colorado is looking good after taking him #2 and passing on Jones. This past years draft class may end up rivaling that of '03.

bsi
01-10-2014, 03:00 PM
IMO it will come down to him and MacKinnon.

Colorado is looking good after taking him #2 and passing on Jones. This past years draft class may end up rivaling that of '03.

Defensemen always take longer but I have watched MacKinnon a lot in halifax and I have seen good players come and go there but he was a man amongst kids in terms of his size and skill. Not too many people are that thick at his age. He is committed to being better and his career has just started, not saying he is crosby but he could end up on a level of Taveres and that group. Kreider has his work cut out for him if he is to beat him out, he can do it as he has the skill but he has to show up every night to play because MacKinnon will for sure.

Crockett32
01-10-2014, 11:35 PM
One quick question:

Why is Kreider being mentioned as a rookie?

This is not his first year??

I maybe a misunderstanding the concept, but in my eyes he is not a rookie hasn't been since his debut in the playoffs a couple of years ago..

bsi
01-11-2014, 12:12 AM
One quick question:

Why is Kreider being mentioned as a rookie?

This is not his first year??

I maybe a misunderstanding the concept, but in my eyes he is not a rookie hasn't been since his debut in the playoffs a couple of years ago..

He hadnt played enough regular season games last year to be classified a rookie.

redwhiteandblue
01-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Defensemen always take longer but I have watched MacKinnon a lot in halifax and I have seen good players come and go there but he was a man amongst kids in terms of his size and skill. Not too many people are that thick at his age. He is committed to being better and his career has just started, not saying he is crosby but he could end up on a level of Taveres and that group. Kreider has his work cut out for him if he is to beat him out, he can do it as he has the skill but he has to show up every night to play because MacKinnon will for sure.

Yeah, that's true on the defensemen point, I just think his overall potential and skill set trumped passing on him because of perhaps waiting.

I also agree with MacKinnon. I think he ends up one of the perrenial stars of this era. Colorado is set up nicely for the future.