PDA

View Full Version : Titanic Division V2

Vampirate
01-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Is the Atlantic weaker than it was in 2006?

Here we have 2 teams that are an absolute mess in Brooklyn and New York, and 2 teams that are rebuilding in Philadelphia and Boston.

Do you see this current raptors team being better or worse than the 2006 squad?

Is the Atlantic division so bad that it's becoming a foregone conclusion that the Raptors will win it or do you see any of the 4 teams challenging them?

Vampirate
01-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Nobody has any opinions on this?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2014, 02:31 PM
No.

mjt20mik
01-05-2014, 02:33 PM
ESPN has Raptors with like a 99 % chance of winning the atlantic, so I don't see anyone else that could challenge (unless like Lowry is traded or something). Division isn't weaker, just tons of injuries. The Raps team is better than 06, because that team was just filled with vets and an all-star Bosh. The team right now is filled with young players.

nycericanguy
01-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Raps obviously have a big edge now but 99% chance of winning after 30 games? That seems kinda silly.

Knicks are playing better, they have Tyson back, Kmart, Prigs, Felton & MWP should all be back soon too. Shump has found his shot again too. I think they'll be right there at the end.

BK is playing better too, but with Lopez out for the year I'm not sure they have enough.

BOS also getting Rondo back soon.

Raps haven't had any injuries at all, lets see if that sustains itself.

mjt20mik
01-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Raps obviously have a big edge now but 99% chance of winning after 30 games? That seems kinda silly.

Hollinger's playoffs odds based on 5000 simulations puts Raps at 99.9% to make playoffs of 99% to win Atlantic.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

Vampirate
01-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Hollinger's playoffs odds based on 5000 simulations puts Raps at 99.9% to make playoffs of 99% to win Atlantic.

Yes, but they are the Raptors, that 00.1 % is probably 70% in the real world.

nycericanguy
01-05-2014, 04:32 PM

not disputing what it says, but it doesn't seem logical. I mean his system also says the Bobcats have a 55% chance of making the playoffs. it seems to be focused on the past this season and not really what CAN happen in the future.

I mean DEN with a 1% chance of making the playoffs? I think they have a MUCH better shot than that especially with Gallo & McGee coming back.

xxplayerxx23
01-05-2014, 04:49 PM
The raptors won't win the division and they aren't better then 06 raps

xxplayerxx23
01-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Take that back they are better then the 06 raps

mjt20mik
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
not disputing what it says, but it doesn't seem logical. I mean his system also says the Bobcats have a 55% chance of making the playoffs. it seems to be focused on the past this season and not really what CAN happen in the future.

I mean DEN with a 1% chance of making the playoffs? I think they have a MUCH better shot than that especially with Gallo & McGee coming back.

If you go into and read his explanation, it is very though out. Sure it is not 100% perfect (as no one can predict the future), but I would say its a valid basis for a prediction.

mjt20mik
01-05-2014, 05:18 PM

Well I do think his system has more merit than this thread or what anyone of us have to say. He created an algorithm that takes a lot of areas into consideration. Again I don't believe it to be 100% correct, as anything can happen (injuries, trades, etc), but as of right now, I don't know if anyone else can challenge them for the division.

bholly
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
I'd be really hesitant to take extreme values of the Hollinger odds too literally here.
The big issue is that they give a random adjustment to each team in each simulation, to account for the fact that they may play better or worse than the power rankings (which are based only on past performance) suggest.
The problem is that in this case I feel like each of the other Atlantic teams are more likely to improve than get worse (Boston because of Rondo returning, Philly because of MCW returning, NYK and BKN because they've been worse so far than their talent would suggest and you have to think they'll get it together at least somewhat), and the random adjustment doesn't take that subjective information into account. Of course the Raptors are probably underrated in the Hollinger rankings too, because they're still taking into account the pre-trade performance, but it's hard to say whether that has a bigger impact than the other thing without knowing exactly how it's calculated.

As big as it looks right now, and as good as Toronto look relative to the others, a 4 game lead with ~50 to go isn't that much, and 99% seems too high.

Vampirate
01-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Well I do think his system has more merit than this thread or what anyone of us have to say. He created an algorithm that takes a lot of areas into consideration. Again I don't believe it to be 100% correct, as anything can happen (injuries, trades, etc), but as of right now, I don't know if anyone else can challenge them for the division.

I was kinda joking around lol. No worries.

NBA_Starter
01-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Raptors!

bucketss
01-05-2014, 11:57 PM
The raptors won't win the division and they aren't better then 06 raps

and who is gonna stop us....

beasted86
01-06-2014, 12:11 AM

I don't think this is stated enough.

Raptors are just "one of those teams", just like the Cavs and Timberwolves.

But I did predict before the season they would make the playoffs.

beasted86
01-06-2014, 12:12 AM

:cricket:

Sly Guy
01-06-2014, 12:29 AM
I don't think this is stated enough.

Raptors are just "one of those teams", just like the Cavs and Timberwolves.

But I did predict before the season they would make the playoffs.

was a good game with you guys tonight. I really wish the refs would have let us play it out a little more, there were some really weak calls on both sides. We can't really be mad losing by a missed 4' hook shot on basically our last possession of the game to the defending champs. I'm really glad our boys showed up tonight to show you and hopefully many others we aren't the soft, losing prone raptors these days.

todu82
01-06-2014, 01:29 AM
Good to see the Raptors playing so great as of late but they're the Raptors they'll find a way to screw things up.

xxplayerxx23
01-06-2014, 01:57 PM

The Knicks or nets. Toronto finishes second or third in the division

nycericanguy
01-06-2014, 02:07 PM
The Knicks or nets. Toronto finishes second or third in the division

Net are built around 2 guys with glass ankles... Dwil's ankle is bothering him again now...

I don't see them winning it.

xxplayerxx23
01-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Net are built around 2 guys with glass ankles... Dwil's ankle is bothering him again now...

I don't see them winning it.

Yeah but I doubt they miss the playoffs. I don't buy Toronto plus I think they trade Lowry

cdnsportsfan
01-06-2014, 03:47 PM
There's no guarantee the Raptors can keep up this pace - no guarantee they don't trade Lowry either, and that move would dramatically change this team in a heartbeat. However, if Toronto keeps this core together and stays healthy I feel they take the division. Why? Because the Raps have played the toughest schedule of any team in the East to date, and from February onwards they have a very friendly stretch of games to end out the season.

nycericanguy
01-06-2014, 03:57 PM
There's no guarantee the Raptors can keep up this pace - no guarantee they don't trade Lowry either, and that move would dramatically change this team in a heartbeat. However, if Toronto keeps this core together and stays healthy I feel they take the division. Why? Because the Raps have played the toughest schedule of any team in the East to date, and from February onwards they have a very friendly stretch of games to end out the season.

They've also been just about the most fortunate team in the NBA in terms of injuries, and you have Lowry having a career year across the board...

I think the Knicks will be in 1st in about 6 weeks, they have 14 of their next 19 at home, 12 of which against sub .500 teams. They have their PG's coming back, Shump has found his shot and confidence... and Tyson is back.

I feel like everyone was in a team slump early in the year, and now they are all going to get hot together and go on a 16-3 type run.

xxplayerxx23
01-06-2014, 04:17 PM
There on pace for 41 wins lol it's not like there that great calm down a streak of 5 out of 6 to early to believe in them sorry. If they can get 7+ games over .500 okay maybe

cdnsportsfan
01-06-2014, 04:19 PM
They've also been just about the most fortunate team in the NBA in terms of injuries, and you have Lowry having a career year across the board...

I think the Knicks will be in 1st in about 6 weeks, they have 14 of their next 19 at home, 12 of which against sub .500 teams. They have their PG's coming back, Shump has found his shot and confidence... and Tyson is back.

I feel like everyone was in a team slump early in the year, and now they are all going to get hot together and go on a 16-3 type run.

I did qualify my statement about injuries, trades, etc. I do expect the Raptors to take a dip eventually, whether it be looking past competition they feel they can beat now that they're playing well, or just having a very bad set of games. Saying that, however, their schedule will start helping them out more, as to this point of the season that hasn't always been the case.

No idea what the Knicks or Nets will do, but Toronto is sitting in a very good position right now for the division title - all I'm saying!

And for the record, Lowry really turned it on after the Rudy Gay trade, which happened on Dec 8. Before that trade he was doing alright but nowhere near the level of play he's shown over this past month. He wasn't awful, but he wasn't playing this well all season long. Just like the rest of the Raptors team, Lowry's improved since Gay left town.

beasted86
01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
There on pace for 41 wins lol it's not like there that great calm down a streak of 5 out of 6 to early to believe in them sorry. If they can get 7+ games over .500 okay maybe

What is your point?

Nets and Knicks are on pace for 29 and 27 wins respectively. If they can get to like 5 games UNDER .500 then we can talk about either team making an 8th seed.

beasted86
01-06-2014, 04:29 PM

Never lose hope, man.... Knicks are BACK!!!!!!

nycericanguy
01-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Never lose hope, man.... Knicks are BACK!!!!!!

you just better hope we get higher than the #7 seed!..lol. You don't want to face a Knicks team in the 1st round... especially if everyone is healthy. we would not be a regular #7 or 8 seed.

remember '99?

beasted86
01-06-2014, 04:37 PM
you just better hope we get higher than the #7 seed!..lol. You don't want to face a Knicks team in the 1st round... especially if everyone is healthy. we would not be a regular #7 or 8 seed.

remember '99?

Remember '73?

nycericanguy
01-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Remember '73?

no, im not that old...

beasted86
01-06-2014, 04:42 PM
no, im not that old...

Me either. Neither of us were born the last time a Knicks team won a championship.

nycericanguy
01-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Me either. Neither of us were born the last time a Knicks team won a championship.

lol good one...

MIA & NY in the first round would be fun to watch though.

beasted86
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
lol good one...

MIA & NY in the first round would be fun to watch though.

This is definitely a year I could care less about rounds 1 or 2, even if the HEAT have injuries.

xxplayerxx23
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
What is your point?

Nets and Knicks are on pace for 29 and 27 wins respectively. If they can get to like 5 games UNDER .500 then we can talk about either team making an 8th seed.

Big deal. Those teams have proven talent. You will see soon. Raps have young talent, but I don't buy there ready one 5 game
Stretch means nothing to me. They should be alright but won't win the division

shep33
01-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Raps playing good basketball.