PDA

View Full Version : Lakers-Cavs Gasol-Bynum Trade Talks Back On and Progressing

P&GRealist
01-04-2014, 11:49 PM
This is according to ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10244821/los-angeles-lakers-cleveland-cavaliers-make-progress-andrew-byum-deal

Cal827
01-05-2014, 12:22 AM
This is according to ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10244821/los-angeles-lakers-cleveland-cavaliers-make-progress-andrew-byum-deal

Am I the only one here who is wondering why exactly that it's taking so long for Cleveland to make this trade. Getting Gasol gives them a consistent inside scorer, which should catapult them into the playoffs in the weak Eastern Conference.

Gasol, while struggling right now, gives them a good inside threat, which relieves the pressure on Irving, can space the floor, and is a fantastic interior passer himself, which could help the development of the younger players

Irving-Jack
Waiters-Jack
Clark-Miles-Benenet
Gasol-Thomspon
Varajao-Thompson

That should easily obtain a spot in the East playoff spots.

If it's Bynum-Gasol straight up, they should make the deal. It's not like Gasol's contract is going to last, he expires this year too lol

Nobody is going to offer them anything that's close to what the Lakers are. Lets see if Gilbert would rather save some money over making the team somewhat competitive.

bholly
01-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Just FWIW, the details about the repeater tax in the article are wrong (or at least inconsistent with Larry Coon's FAQ), particularly the part about paying it if you're in the luxury tax in 4 of the last 5 years. Should be 3 of 4. In Coon's words:

The amount of tax a team pays depends on the season, the team salary as of the team's last regular season game, and whether the team is a "repeat offender":

For 2011-12 and 2012-13, teams pay $1 for every $1 their team salary exceeds the tax level. There is no repeater rate.
For 2013-14 teams pay an incremental rate based on their team salary. There is no repeater rate.
For 2014-15 teams pay an incremental rate based on their team salary. They pay the repeater rate if they also were taxpayers in all of the previous three seasons.
For 2015-16 and all subsequent seasons, teams pay an incremental rate based on their team salary. They pay the repeater rate if they were taxpayers in at least three of the four previous seasons.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21

Lakers + Giants
01-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Am I the only one here who is wondering why exactly that it's taking so long for Cleveland to make this trade. Getting Gasol gives them a consistent inside scorer, which should catapult them into the playoffs in the weak Eastern Conference.

Gasol, while struggling right now, gives them a good inside threat, which relieves the pressure on Irving, can space the floor, and is a fantastic interior passer himself, which could help the development of the younger players

Irving-Jack
Waiters-Jack
Clark-Miles-Benenet
Gasol-Thomspon
Varajao-Thompson

That should easily obtain a spot in the East playoff spots.

If it's Bynum-Gasol straight up, they should make the deal. It's not like Gasol's contract is going to last, he expires this year too lol

Nobody is going to offer them anything that's close to what the Lakers are. Lets see if Gilbert would rather save some money over making the team somewhat competitive.

The reason the deal hasn't been accepted by either side is because the lakers want a 1st round pick/or a young player from CLE. That's what is holding this deal up.

kobe4thewinbang
01-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Ugh, get it done already.

bleedprple&gold
01-05-2014, 12:39 AM
That article was pretty useless. It says talks are "progressing" but failed to specify how. It basically just restated everything we already know

shep33
01-05-2014, 12:43 AM
I bet nothing gets done

kobe4thewinbang
01-05-2014, 12:48 AM
I bet nothing gets doneYeah, kind of like the Lakers in general right now. :(

mbsalame123
01-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Yeah I am still not sure about this trade... it was just reported in the morning not too long ago that the lakers were backing away from a deal but now they are suddenly heating up? Now this does sound legit actually if you think about it, because normally trades that happen just come out of no where without the actual pieces of the trade being revealed until the trade is official. For now we know that it is gasol for bynum but we don't know what other players and draft picks will be added to the deal.

I was playing around with this deal on the trade machine and the cavs can't do a straight up bynum for gasol swap, they need to add at least 2 smaller contracts or someone else to make the deal work. The best deal I could come up with was:

Pau Gasol and maybe another player (if the lakers accept to throw in another player) for Andrew Bynum, Earl Clark, and Sergey Karasev along with a draft pick depending on how badly the cavs want to get the deal done.

I did read somewhere that the lakers did want Sergey in a deal so I don't see that as an issue for the cavaliers to throw in his contract to the deal but in comes the draft pick and another player to throw in for a player that would just be a 6 month rental and will most likely not resign with the team in the summer.

The cavs have a logjam at the forward spot with CJ Miles, Earl Clark, Alonzo Gee, Anthony Bennett all capable of starting or playing good minutes for the team... so why not give back the contract of earl clark back to the lakers where he thrived? The cavaliers are currently running with Gee and Miles and Clark has been a fail so far so it shouldn't hurt to get rid of him and make the lineup even more smoother, by the way this will clear up room for bennett the #1 pick lol to get playing time and tristan thompson will most likely move to the bench after this deal.

If I am the lakers I take the deal and save the money I save as well as get a draft pick and a couple of players that can contribute now. Earl Clark would be a nice replacement for Gasol at the power forward and he would get to play with the team that got him to this point in his career.
But is it really worth giving up your best player right now and a veteran big man that gave you two championships right now? The money will be saved either way in the summer when Gasol is a free agent, however is it really that bad to get out of the luxury tax for this year so as to trade your best player?

I am iffy on the lakers side of things but if they really want to and are convinced that they will build their team around kobe with other pieces then they will go with it.

The cavaliers side of this deal is a no brainer. They should accept this trade right now and give up a draft pick in the process if it means getting a big man like gasol! Now the question is how much does gasol have left? We saw it last night against the jazz, when he is convinced and wanting to play, he can still dominate the game. He was an all star two years ago and just hasn't fit in Mike Dntoni's offense. He had an amazing season that 1 year with Mike Brown under the helm and he would be going back to playing with Mike Brown again and this time he would be the main man down low without anyone to take the ball away from him... plus when Irving comes back they will just get even better and have a deadly pick and roll going on while Varejao takes care of the things that Gasol struggles with like Defense, Rebounding and fighting for lose balls.

And if the cavs turn out to do really good with Gasol then he might be interested in resigning with them to make a run in the weak eastern conference.

We'll see what happens but it will be interesting on the cavaliers side of things if they trade for Gasol and this would just mean that the lakers are tanking to get someone like andrew wiggins or jabari parker... being the lakers, call it conspiracy or not, they probably have a good chance of getting these players just because the NBA is no good without a good lakers team... plus they need another star to take over after Kobe lol

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 01:12 AM
Yeah I am still not sure about this trade... it was just reported in the morning not too long ago that the lakers were backing away from a deal but now they are suddenly heating up? Now this does sound legit actually if you think about it, because normally trades that happen just come out of no where without the actual pieces of the trade being revealed until the trade is official. For now we know that it is gasol for bynum but we don't know what other players and draft picks will be added to the deal.

I was playing around with this deal on the trade machine and the cavs can't do a straight up bynum for gasol swap, they need to add at least 2 smaller contracts or someone else to make the deal work. The best deal I could come up with was:

Pau Gasol and maybe another player (if the lakers accept to throw in another player) for Andrew Bynum, Earl Clark, and Sergey Karasev along with a draft pick depending on how badly the cavs want to get the deal done.

I did read somewhere that the lakers did want Sergey in a deal so I don't see that as an issue for the cavaliers to throw in his contract to the deal but in comes the draft pick and another player to throw in for a player that would just be a 6 month rental and will most likely not resign with the team in the summer.

The cavs have a logjam at the forward spot with CJ Miles, Earl Clark, Alonzo Gee, Anthony Bennett all capable of starting or playing good minutes for the team... so why not give back the contract of earl clark back to the lakers where he thrived? The cavaliers are currently running with Gee and Miles and Clark has been a fail so far so it shouldn't hurt to get rid of him and make the lineup even more smoother, by the way this will clear up room for bennett the #1 pick lol to get playing time and tristan thompson will most likely move to the bench after this deal.

If I am the lakers I take the deal and save the money I save as well as get a draft pick and a couple of players that can contribute now. Earl Clark would be a nice replacement for Gasol at the power forward and he would get to play with the team that got him to this point in his career.
But is it really worth giving up your best player right now and a veteran big man that gave you two championships right now? The money will be saved either way in the summer when Gasol is a free agent, however is it really that bad to get out of the luxury tax for this year so as to trade your best player?

I am iffy on the lakers side of things but if they really want to and are convinced that they will build their team around kobe with other pieces then they will go with it.

The cavaliers side of this deal is a no brainer. They should accept this trade right now and give up a draft pick in the process if it means getting a big man like gasol! Now the question is how much does gasol have left? We saw it last night against the jazz, when he is convinced and wanting to play, he can still dominate the game. He was an all star two years ago and just hasn't fit in Mike Dntoni's offense. He had an amazing season that 1 year with Mike Brown under the helm and he would be going back to playing with Mike Brown again and this time he would be the main man down low without anyone to take the ball away from him... plus when Irving comes back they will just get even better and have a deadly pick and roll going on while Varejao takes care of the things that Gasol struggles with like Defense, Rebounding and fighting for lose balls.

And if the cavs turn out to do really good with Gasol then he might be interested in resigning with them to make a run in the weak eastern conference.

We'll see what happens but it will be interesting on the cavaliers side of things if they trade for Gasol and this would just mean that the lakers are tanking to get someone like andrew wiggins or jabari parker... being the lakers, call it conspiracy or not, they probably have a good chance of getting these players just because the NBA is no good without a good lakers team... plus they need another star to take over after Kobe lol

My ADHD will not allow me to read this. If Someone reads this please let me know if it had good points

bholly
01-05-2014, 01:41 AM
That article was pretty useless. It says talks are "progressing" but failed to specify how. It basically just restated everything we already know

Except before this we knew talks had stalled and there was no sign if they'd start again - now we know the talks are back on.

Tony_Starks
01-05-2014, 01:49 AM
Lakers are not taking back Earl Clark, if they wanted him they would've re-signed him. My guess is they're shooting for either Waiters or Thompson and a pick.

All depends on how bad the Cavs want to unload Bynum and if they want value in return. If they can't do it by tomorrow they may very well end up just waiving him to save the $6 milli....

mbsalame123
01-05-2014, 01:54 AM
Knowing the Buss family and their history in trades, they will get the most they can from their assets... just look at the gasol trade that they made a few years ago.. it ended up working well for the grizzlies as they got pau's younger brother Marc Gasol but at that time and still to this day, it was a steal for the lakers.

The cavs have been wanting to trade Dion Waiters however I don't think the lakers want that locker room headache on this complicated roster so I think they are aiming for Tristan Thompson or for possibly a point guard like Jarrett Jack, however with Marshal's latest game played, they might have their point guard.

mbsalame123
01-05-2014, 01:55 AM
Lakers are not taking back Earl Clark, if they wanted him they would've re-signed him. My guess is they're shooting for either Waiters or Thompson and a pick.

All depends on how bad the Cavs want to unload Bynum and if they want value in return. If they can't do it by tomorrow they may very well end up just waiving him to save the $6 milli....

You are 100% right so that means that CJ Miles or Alonzo Gee only make sense however the Lakers know they can get more value from other teams by trading Gasol... realistically speaking the Lakers can get Paul Pierce for Gasol who is much better then what the cavs would be offering, however this is a salary dump but I still think that someone like Tristan Thompson is obtainable from the cavaliers in this trade.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2014, 02:11 AM
**** Earl Clark

JNA17
01-05-2014, 02:39 AM
As someone else said, Lakers would have resigned Clark if we wanted him back.

This kind of deal only makes sense if the Lakers get a pick in return,

Now watch Mitch shock the entire freaking world and get Irving for Gasol deal. :laugh:

Cal827
01-05-2014, 02:41 AM
The reason the deal hasn't been accepted by either side is because the lakers want a 1st round pick/or a young player from CLE. That's what is holding this deal up.

Ah fair enough, thanks for that, I was unaware. I still don't see what's taking so long though. Lol Send Bennett or a protected first over. At this point, they have to stop drafting/failing at the draft and worry about making moves that will convince the one pick they got right not to bolt after next season.

Gasol at least makes them somewhat competitive. His contract is also an expiring, so they might be able to shop him at the deadline for more pieces if things really don't work out. Or if he doesn't mind it there, I'm sure they'll be able to resign him at a decent price, or they can use that money and go beg Lebron to come back and bring a friend lol

bholly
01-05-2014, 02:54 AM
@ESPNLA710: BREAKING NEWS-League sources say Pau/Bynum deal is done and happening Sunday

Tony_Starks
01-05-2014, 02:57 AM
I would go for Waiters. He seems like the perfect example of a "buy low" type player. He wants a bigger role and he's never going to get it with Irving around.

I doubt they would want Jack or Watson, they just signed new deals and Lakers aren't trying to commit that salary for role players who've pretty much maxed out their potential. At least not yet anyway.....

Tony_Starks
01-05-2014, 02:57 AM

Oh sh.......!

spreadeagle
01-05-2014, 03:03 AM

nice

marferrer
01-05-2014, 03:05 AM
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-pau-gasol-traded-to-cleveland-cavaliers/2014/01/04/

Full Tank mode on for LA I guess?

Discuss.

DODGERS&LAKERS

I hope we at least got a second round pick

kingsdelez24
Mitch will trade Gasol + filler for Bynum and Bennett

And Bennett will flourish

He will find a way to steal him as much as I hate to say it

soundjunkies2
01-05-2014, 03:06 AM
If the Lakers get the #1 pick next year the NBA forum will explode..

JNA17
01-05-2014, 03:06 AM
ESPNLA 710 Radio ‏@ESPNLA710 5m

BREAKING NEWS-League sources say Pau/Bynum deal is done and happening Sunday

https://twitter.com/ESPNLA710

2nd round pick included from the Cavs. Straight up salary dump for the Lakers it seems.

Sadds The Gr8
01-05-2014, 03:08 AM
3 years ago this trade woulda been relevant. now..........?

majmarcus
01-05-2014, 03:10 AM
Yesssss we got rid of that damn gasol!!!!!!!!

kingsdelez24
3 years ago this trade woulda been relevant. now..........?

3 years ago they played on the same team

spreadeagle
Cavs would love to get deal done Sunday. But NOT there yet. Lakers still looking for extra asset + Pau-for-Bynum alone doesn't work cap-wise- Mark Stein

bholly
01-05-2014, 03:11 AM
@ramonashelburne: Lakers vehemently deny Pau trade is done. Vehemently deny. Aren't budging from stance that they want asset for Gasol

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m
Cavs would love to get deal done Sunday. But NOT there yet. Lakers still looking for extra asset + Pau-for-Bynum alone doesn't work cap-wise.

JNA17
01-05-2014, 03:11 AM
ESPNSteinLine: Cavs would love to get deal done Sunday. But NOT there yet. Lakers still looking for extra asset + Pau-for-Bynum alone doesn't work cap-wise

And just like that ESPN can go **** themselves.

Woj is the only source I trust now.

BallIsAll
01-05-2014, 03:12 AM
deal done................

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 03:17 AM
Yes! Four threads on a trade of two washed up players. A trade that might not even be done yet.....

Sadds The Gr8
01-05-2014, 03:18 AM
3 years ago they played on the same team

I meant value wise, not team wise

DeyAce
01-05-2014, 03:21 AM
Bynum is so overrated

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2014, 03:22 AM
lmao its not done yet

JNA17
01-05-2014, 03:22 AM
Bynum is so overrated

Bynum is not even rated anymore lettle alone under/overrated. :laugh2:

Also if Bynum came here he would only be a Laker for a day or 2. His purpose is so that the Lakers waive him for cap relief.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2014, 03:23 AM
**** this ****, I want a 1st rounder

shep33
01-05-2014, 03:23 AM
ESPN sucks... jumping the gun again

TrueFan420
01-05-2014, 03:26 AM
Wonder what Kobe's thinking

TrueFan420
01-05-2014, 03:26 AM

Hahaha your not gonna get that dude

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 03:35 AM
I think its done. They are just being extra cautious since they know what happened last time they told Pau he was traded. They have to run it by daddy Stern first to make sure he is okay with the Lakers not letting the rest of the small market teams suck on their collective teets for a year or two.

JNA17
01-05-2014, 03:35 AM
Mods you can close this thread now. ESPN being dicks as usual.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 03:37 AM

Wouldn't you be pissed if we gave up a first rounder for a 32 year old on the decline that we were pretty sure was going to leave us at the end of the year?

Oh wait, we gave up two first rounders for a 40 year old Nash. lol

P&GRealist
01-05-2014, 03:41 AM
At the end, it'll probably be Gasol for Bynum, Waiters and a 2nd round pick.

P&GRealist
01-05-2014, 03:42 AM
Wouldn't you be pissed if we gave up a first rounder for a 32 year old on the decline that we were pretty sure was going to leave us at the end of the year?

Oh wait, we gave up two first rounders for a 40 year old Nash. lol

You are so wrong, he was only 37 when we got him.

TrueFan420
01-05-2014, 03:51 AM
At the end, it'll probably be Gasol for Bynum, Waiters and a 2nd round pick.

Cavs aren't that stupid and lakers front office ain't that good anymore

b@llhog24
01-05-2014, 03:53 AM
Not sure why Cleveland would even want to make the playoffs. Isn't this draft supposed to be loaded? Even they can't **** this up.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 03:53 AM
Cavs aren't that stupid and lakers front office ain't that good anymore

Its the same guy on the phone. He runs it up to the same guy that had to agree before they brought it up to Dr. Buss. Deals don't change, just the guy approving them does.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 03:54 AM
Not sure why Cleveland would even want to make the playoffs. Isn't this draft supposed to be loaded? Even they can't **** this up.

Waiters and Bennett say hello......

b@llhog24
01-05-2014, 03:54 AM
Waiters and Bennett say hello......

I know I hate those guys too.

jaydubb
01-05-2014, 03:57 AM
I for one would love to have Bennett in the trade, don't think it will happen tho.. I think in time he could develop his game especially with guys like Nash and kobe to help coach him up..

marferrer
01-05-2014, 03:57 AM
I'm sorry for posting a not-yet done trade. I thought it was done. Fcking ESPN. Mods can close the thread now. You can sleep now too guys

shep33
01-05-2014, 03:58 AM
I'm sorry for posting a not-yet done trade. I thought it was done. Fcking ESPN. Mods can close the thread now. You can sleep now too guys

Not your fault man, ESPN trolled everyone hard. They took down their tweet of him being dealt lol

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 03:59 AM
I for one would love to have Bennett in the trade, don't think it will happen tho.. I think in time he could develop his game especially with guys like Nash and kobe to help coach him up..

I don't think they will give up on him that quickly. Its way to early for that. I would be happy with a second round pick. Mitch should have to do some work scouting college guys

Trueblue2
01-05-2014, 04:32 AM
My ADHD will not allow me to read this. If Someone reads this please let me know if it had good points

Ironically its probably his adhd meds that caused him to write that.

Bruno
01-05-2014, 05:21 AM
could LA trade Bynum for picks or youth to a contender after the get him? that'd be cool.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 05:33 AM
could LA trade Bynum for picks or youth to a contender after the get him? that'd be cool.

That contender would have to be ran by monkeys. Why would they trade for him and insure that his contract becomes guaranteed for $12 million. They know the Lakers will waive him by Tuesday and they will pick him up for the minimum.

COOLbeans
01-05-2014, 06:14 AM
Dumb trade for the Lakers, I simply don't understand trading Gasol at this juncture. They have no draft picks to tank for..

COOLbeans
01-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Lol monkeys

DitchDat
01-05-2014, 06:22 AM
They only have two days to move him. I also heard that maybe Paul Pierce for Bynum is a possibility.

Drummond#1
01-05-2014, 06:29 AM
I wonder what Mamba makes of all this. If he thought playing with Smush and Kwame was bad... Smh. The Lakers second best player now will be either Jordan Hill, Xavier Henry or Nick Young. Sad state of affairs for the Lakers.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Dumb trade for the Lakers, I simply don't understand trading Gasol at this juncture. They have no draft picks to tank for..

Yes they do. They have a first round this summer. Its a good trade for a few reasons. They tank to get a better chance of a high pick in the best draft in a decade. They get under the luxury tax this year and next and avoid the repeater tax. They now will benefit from other teams going over the cap and share the luxury tax with all the other small market teams.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 06:45 AM
I wonder what Mamba makes of all this. If he thought playing with Smush and Kwame was bad... Smh. The Lakers second best player now will be either Jordan Hill, Xavier Henry or Nick Young. Sad state of affairs for the Lakers.

He knew what he signed for. He has no right to complain. He has been on a contender for 14 of his 17 years in the league. Most players don't get half that amount of time. You cant compete for rings at all times. Every dynasty team disapates after age and the organization is forced to rebuild. Its that time for the Lakers. They did it after they won with Wilt and Jerry West, then waited 9 years to get back to the finals after Magic, then waited 4 years after Shaq, and will wait for a couple more years after Kobe leaves. Its a cycle

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2014, 08:28 AM

:facepalm:

JNA17
01-05-2014, 09:31 AM
http://trollfootball.blox.pl/resource/are_you_****ing_kidding_me_meme_the_****_is_wrong_ with_you_4chan_funny_knowyourmeme.jpg

Cal827
01-05-2014, 12:53 PM
LOL, I forgot that this concerns the Cavs and Lakers Front office. So the deal will probably be something like this

Gasol
Nash
A Crutch Signed by Kobe Bryant

For

Bynum
Irving
Bennett
Quick and Loans Arena
Unprotected Firsts from Cleveland in both the NBA and the NFL
Rights to the Cleveland Show

Wade n Fade
01-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Bynum + Bennett + pick for Gasol is not a bad haul for the Lakers. They have always been eager to explore talks to deal Gasol ever since the vetoed CP3 deal. Gasol doesn't like Dantoni. Idk if he would like to go back to Brown anyways. He can still give people 14 and 8, which is good and he's an expiring contract. I just wonder what asset can the Cavs get in addition to Gasol?

TrueFan420
01-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Bynum + Bennett + pick for Gasol is not a bad haul for the Lakers. They have always been eager to explore talks to deal Gasol ever since the vetoed CP3 deal. Gasol doesn't like Dantoni. Idk if he would like to go back to Brown anyways. He can still give people 14 and 8, which is good and he's an expiring contract. I just wonder what asset can the Cavs get in addition to Gasol?

They won't get that for gasol

sep11ie
01-05-2014, 06:33 PM

Dang man... You think Cavs are trading all that for Gasol?

Stunner
01-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO 17m
#Lakers asked for 1st-rd pick, sources say. #Cavs said no. LA offered to swap firsts, Cavs said no. LA also asked about Varejao, still no.

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO 21m
#Lakers have indeed asked #Cavs for Dion Waiters in potential Bynum-Gasol trade, league sources say. Cavs basically laughed.

Lakers are overvaluing Gasol too much

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2014, 06:47 PM
#Lakers asked for 1st-rd pick, sources say. #Cavs said no. LA offered to swap firsts, Cavs said no. LA also asked about Varejao, still no.

#Lakers have indeed asked #Cavs for Dion Waiters in potential Bynum-Gasol trade, league sources say. Cavs basically laughed.

lol we are not trading gasol for salary dump

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-05-2014, 06:48 PM
15/10/3 in 30 minutes and he's expiring

yeah, salary dump for sure :rolleyes:

Lakers + Giants
01-05-2014, 06:54 PM

We got nothing to lose. If we don't trade him that's 19 MIL expiring for us. If we do trade him, might as well ask for some assets.

bholly
01-05-2014, 06:54 PM
lol, the Cavs wouldn't swap firsts? They're willing to trade for Gasol, but don't have the confidence that Cavs+Pau could get a better record than LAL minus Pau? So funny. They're on 3 games behind as it is!

15/10/3 in 30 minutes and he's expiring

yeah, salary dump for sure :rolleyes:

There's more than just stats to consider. They'd benefit from being worse (for lottery purposes) and it could be a super valuable salary dump once you take into account the repeater tax implications - could save 10s of millions of dollars for all we know.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they do it straight up either, but just 15/10/3 doesn't make it ridiculous.

IndiansFan337
01-05-2014, 09:01 PM
There's more than just stats to consider. They'd benefit from being worse (for lottery purposes) and it could be a super valuable salary dump once you take into account the repeater tax implications - could save 10s of millions of dollars for all we know.

It is only being discussed because they'd like to avoid that repeater tax offense.

IndiansFan337
01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
We got nothing to lose. If we don't trade him that's 19 MIL expiring for us. If we do trade him, might as well ask for some assets.

If they move him it wouldn't be to drop his salary or because they don't believe in his talent. It would solely be to avoid that repeat offender tax for in future seasons. That would likely be a huge amount of money and affect them across multiple years. I can definitely understand not wanting to give him away for so little in return, but LAL doesn't have very many other scenarios that could get them under that tax threshold.

shep33
01-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Looks like this deal won't happen. Cavs about to get nothing for Drew

kobe4thewinbang
01-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Guess Lakers haven't asked for Gee instead? Looks like Cleveland won't budge on anyone else to make salaries work.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-05-2014, 10:05 PM

They will probably trade him to Utah.

If I was Cleveland, I wouldn't trade a first for a 32 year old 4 month rental

P&GRealist
01-05-2014, 10:08 PM

He was a last second offseason free agent signing. Keeping or losing Bynum means absolutely nothing to the Cavs. Neither did they originally draft him and nor did they give up assets to acquire him in a trade.

It's not like the Lakers drafting Bynum, grooming him for 7 yrs, just to trade him for Howard, who then left after being a 1 yr rental. That is what you call "getting nothing for someone who leaves".

The Cavs are neither at an advantage or disadvantage. It doesn't mean jack **** for them, and they are in the driver's seat for this trade. Not the Lakers.

mbsalame123
01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
the cavaliers just witnessed how the lakers get what they want at the end of the day. The lakers have always been hard to deal with when it comes to trades, they will try and suck as much out of the opposing team as they can and will stay strict on their stance, eventually getting the other team to fall for it and give them what they want.

They did it with the Grizzlies a few years ago for Gasol and are trying right now as well.

Pau is out there and playing, I still think there is a chance something happens tomorrow... watch out for the jazz and even the grizzlies, a sleeper that I heard out there is the Thunder but idk.

At the end the best for the cavs might be to just waive him

Cal827
01-05-2014, 11:03 PM
lol, the Cavs wouldn't swap firsts? They're willing to trade for Gasol, but don't have the confidence that Cavs+Pau could get a better record than LAL minus Pau? So funny. They're on 3 games behind as it is!

This is what gets me. LOL, LA is going to go into free fall without Gasol. Cleveland might have screwed themselves out of a top 5 pick :facepalm:

NBA_Starter
01-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Poor Bynum may get dumped by the Lakers twice.

Johnny Squares
01-05-2014, 11:18 PM
the cavaliers just witnessed how the lakers get what they want at the end of the day. The lakers have always been hard to deal with when it comes to trades, they will try and suck as much out of the opposing team as they can and will stay strict on their stance, eventually getting the other team to fall for it and give them what they want.

They did it with the Grizzlies a few years ago for Gasol and are trying right now as well.

Pau is out there and playing, I still think there is a chance something happens tomorrow... watch out for the jazz and even the grizzlies, a sleeper that I heard out there is the Thunder but idk.

At the end the best for the cavs might be to just waive him

You seem to be forgetting the Ramon Sessions deal in 2012, where the Lakers gave up a 1st for a rental...

Cavs are definitely in the drivers seat, if they don't get what they want they'll just cut him, they aren't going to part with young talent like Waiters or Bennett (emphasis on the young...lol), they aren't going to give up a 1st...if the Lakers don't want to give up Pau to save $20 million and avoid repeat offender status, then have at it, the Cavs will toss in Gee or Clark to make salaries work, but that's it...I have a feeling they deal him to Utah for Jefferson instead, LA EGOS may be an obstacle this trade cannot overcome...

Cal827
01-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Guess Cleveland doesn't want to make the playoffs lol

I seriously worry about Irving staying there.

kobe4thewinbang
01-06-2014, 12:02 AM
Guess Cleveland doesn't want to make the playoffs lol

I seriously worry about Irving staying there.Yeah, and I think Irving's injury prone state might raise risk for other teams to sign him. Hopefully he gets over it, but it's just a bad time for the Cavs right now especially with Bynum pulling a jerk move.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-06-2014, 12:55 AM
the cabs didnt even trade hickson for amare lol

kobe4thewinbang
01-06-2014, 01:08 AM
the cabs didnt even trade hickson for amare lolYeah, I don't see them getting something better than Pau Gasol. His effort has been questionable the past few years, but in a new setting, he could play well. Even if it is not to last (i.e. him signing elsewhere in the summer), at least they will get rid of Bynum and maybe make the playoffs with Gasol. I guess they're stuck with half his salary now, unless another deal has been made under our noses.

bholly
01-06-2014, 01:22 AM
the cabs didnt even trade hickson for amare lol

That's been denied by everyone involved on both sides every since it happened. It was a media rumour that just sticks around because people think its funny. There's no real evidence that it happened.

shep33
01-06-2014, 01:33 AM
He was a last second offseason free agent signing. Keeping or losing Bynum means absolutely nothing to the Cavs. Neither did they originally draft him and nor did they give up assets to acquire him in a trade.

It's not like the Lakers drafting Bynum, grooming him for 7 yrs, just to trade him for Howard, who then left after being a 1 yr rental. That is what you call "getting nothing for someone who leaves".

The Cavs are neither at an advantage or disadvantage. It doesn't mean jack **** for them, and they are in the driver's seat for this trade. Not the Lakers.

Yes it does. They can make the playoffs with Pau, they aren't going anywhere... again if they don't make this deal.

What's the goal for these Cavs? Realistically, there has to be a point where you add established players around Kyrie.

Lets be real, they failed miserably in building a nice young team, I mean they epically screwed up their draft picks over the past 3 years.

Thompson, Waiters, Bennett could have been:

Val, Barnes, Oladipo

The past two years they could've had Harrison Barnes or Drummond + Oladipo

They have been Jordan-like in drafting talent

Johnny Squares
01-06-2014, 01:34 AM
That's been denied by everyone involved on both sides every since it happened. It was a media rumour that just sticks around because people think its funny. There's no real evidence that it happened.

This.

The fact that he brought it up so foolishly makes him lose all credibility on the subject. It'd be in his best interest to move along now.

Pau could be great on the Cavs, he hasn't played up to his potential the past few seasons but he's in a contract year and I believe desperately wants out of LA, but he'd never go as far to say it. He's been in no man's land the past few seasons with all the trade talk; being on a new team in a contract year could pay dividends, I just wouldn't part with any young talent if I'm the Cavs FO. I think they should be playing the crap out of Bennett, they aren't going anywhere this year and should see what they have in him and others. I like Delladova's energy too, but man they have some bums on that squad, Gee and Clark belong in the D-League.

In regards to Kyrie: "They used to call me Mr. Glass." :laugh:

Johnny Squares
01-06-2014, 01:40 AM
Yes it does. They can make the playoffs with Pau, they aren't going anywhere... again if they don't make this deal.

What's the goal for these Cavs? Realistically, there has to be a point where you add established players around Kyrie.

Lets be real, they failed miserably in building a nice young team, I mean they epically screwed up their draft picks over the past 3 years.

Thompson, Waiters, Bennett could have been:

Val, Barnes, Oladipo

The past two years they could've had Harrison Barnes or Drummond + Oladipo

They have been Jordan-like in drafting talent

Coulda Shoulda Woulda...yawn, hindsight is 20-20 and boy am I sick of people overrating Valanciunas, Thompson is the better player, he's not elite but you can't fault his selection, he's been solid and a hard worker, changing his shooting hand and working more than other players...

6 teams passed on Barnes, 2 after the Cavs, he's been decent, still see a higher upside with Waiters tho I will admit I thought for sure they were gonna take Harrison..Oladipo has been meh, if it weren't for Bennett's historically bad start it wouldn't be brought up 30 games into their rookie seasons, which is still waayyy to early and ridiculous...

You want to criticize the Cavs drafting which is fine, they haven't hit a homerun like OKC or even Indiana (drafting George and Stevenson in the same draft)...but they have had the #1 overall pick in 2 of the worst drafts in NBA history, it's not like Detroit screwing up and taking Darko, they've been stuck with medicore talent aside from Kyrie and haven't made the most of it, oh well...

shep33
01-06-2014, 01:43 AM
People might say that with Pau, they'd probably lose in round 1.

But this is the time where you have to start getting some wins. 3 years and 3 losing seasons since Kyrie was drafted. This year they have no excuses. The east is hot trash, and if you have a pulse you can still get the 4-5 seed.

Losing means players become less motivated and interested in staying with that team. If you want to keep Kyrie, how does this make you look?

shep33
01-06-2014, 01:45 AM
Coulda Shoulda Woulda...yawn, hindsight is 20-20 and boy am I sick of people overrating Valanciunas, Thompson is the better player, he's not elite but you can't fault his selection, he's been solid and a hard worker, changing his shooting hand and working more than other players...

6 teams passed on Barnes, 2 after the Cavs, he's been decent, still see a higher upside with Waiters tho I will admit I thought for sure they were gonna take Harrison..Oladipo has been meh, if it weren't for Bennett's historically bad start it wouldn't be brought up 30 games into their rookie seasons, which is still waayyy to early and ridiculous...

You want to criticize the Cavs drafting which is fine, they haven't hit a homerun like OKC or even Indiana (drafting George and Stevenson in the same draft)...but they have had the #1 overall pick in 2 of the worst drafts in NBA history, it's not like Detroit screwing up and taking Darko, they've been stuck with medicore talent aside from Kyrie and haven't made the most of it, oh well...

Lets be real, all three of those picks were reaches. Everyone knows it. The problem with the Cavs drafting is that they never took the best available player, they were somehow motivated to try in fill in the caps to create a young and upcoming team.

Johnny Squares
01-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Lets be real, all three of those picks were reaches. Everyone knows it. The problem with the Cavs drafting is that they never took the best available player, they were somehow motivated to try in fill in the caps to create a young and upcoming team.

I wouldn't call Bennett a reach, sure very few had him going #1 overall, but this draft class was epicly weak and there was no clear #1 guy, there were about 5 or 6 guys who had a realistic shot going #1 overall and Bennett was one of them...I thought at the time and still do that the Cavs should've taken Noel as he had a better fit and future outlook with the team given his position, though I'd expect him to get healthy and put on 20-30LBs while working on his post game...

Waiters was a reach, maybe Thompson too, but I chalk it up to them being not as well known as the other players...the talent level was there with both and looking back now both have been productive...being a reach doesn't equate to not being valuable or worthy of the selection, it's just that, a reach, a player was drafted much higher than expected, just like there are players who free fall and are drafted much lower than expected...it doesn't matter where you are drafted, all that matters is your production, and in 2 of the weakest drafts in NBA history, the Cavs could've done a lot worse than a lot better...

futureman
01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
The Lakers don't have the talent to out tank the Jazz. They are asking way too much which will be their downfall. The Jazz just want a 2nd rounder.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
The more I think of it the Lakers should not make this deal unless they get what they want. They will definitely be under the tax next year. As well as the following year. The only way you go over the tax is when you sign your own young players to bigger contracts. The Lakers don't have anybody and won't have anybody that would fit that description in the near future. They will be under the tax guaranteed the next two years so they don't even have to worry about the repeater tax. Since they don't need to get under that threshold this year, They don't need to move Pau at all cost. A deal with the Cavs only makes sense if they save money and at least get something for him. If they do a deal with another team later on they will get more assets without the savings. But they don't need to give him up for just money savings since they crap money.

If it's not worth it for the Cavs, then that's their choice and that's understandable. Just like it's the Lakers choice on what they are willing to accept for Pau.