PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Cousins has figured it out...

shep33
01-03-2014, 05:35 AM
Always a fan of his. Yeah, he had his bumps getting to this point, but the guy can ball.

23 ppg 11.4 rpg 50% from the field, 72% from the line, 3 apg, 2 spg, and 1 bpg... 27.35 PER

Dude also takes a ton of charges.

Glad to see him develop and get his head on straight... yeah he's still a bit crazy, but he's actually locked in mentally now.

Dude looks like he can be the best big in the league really soon. I got him top 3 right now.

tredigs
01-03-2014, 06:11 AM
Never liked him, still don't. But the kid can indeed ball. Definitely not convinced his head is on straight, though.

PurpleLynch
01-03-2014, 07:46 AM
He still has issues with his attitude,but I really like him. If he can control himself,him and Davis will be in few years the best bigs in the Nba.Add Drummond in the mix also.

PacersForLife
01-03-2014, 07:49 AM
I don't even think he's really crazy or anything just has always seemed to have a bad attitude. I would imagine he isn't the best locker room guy, but yeah it looks like he's having a nice year. I just think he needs to mature a little more and become a better leader and he'll be good.

sunsfan88
01-03-2014, 08:19 AM
He's like a younger better version of Z-Bo. Not much athleticism, pathetic defensively but extremely skilled in the paint.

YoungOne
01-03-2014, 08:49 AM
^ have u even seen him play?

NYKnickFanatic
01-03-2014, 09:20 AM
He's like a younger better version of Z-Bo. Not much athleticism, pathetic defensively but extremely skilled in the paint.

Cousins is very athletic.

kobe4thewinbang
01-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Should turn into a star. I wish the Kings would get relevant again though. He's just wasting away.

Sly Guy
01-03-2014, 11:21 AM
all the skills in the world. He could be the best big man in the league if he keeps his head on right.

lionel
01-03-2014, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=sunsfan88;27724142]He's like a younger better version of Z-Bo. Not much athleticism, pathetic defensively but extremely skilled in the paint.[/Q
cousins defense is not pathetic and he is one of the most athletic centers in the league.

True Sports Fan
01-03-2014, 11:34 AM
DeMarcus Cousins finally getting respect around the league? It's a damn miracle.

IndyRealist
01-03-2014, 11:37 AM
At this point this is the best season of his career, by far. You can live with the turnovers because he handles the ball so much. They built their offense around him, and it's starting to pay off. Now if they just straighten out the rest of the roster....

IndyRealist
01-03-2014, 11:37 AM
DeMarcus Cousins finally getting respect around the league? It's a damn miracle.

He finally deserves it.

RipCity32
01-03-2014, 11:38 AM
With better defense he would be the best Center in the league.

KnicksorBust
01-03-2014, 11:44 AM
I love that he is attempting 8.8 FTA per game. The best players in the league are the ones that consistently get to the line. Look at the names next to him on that list:

D12
Durant
Cousins
Harden
Griffin
Love
LeBron
Melo

That's a list.

D-Leethal
01-03-2014, 11:46 AM
People confuse being a feisty person with being a bad person. What was the first thing Cousins did after inking his big contract? Donated over a million bucks to charity. Cousins plays with an edge, he's a firey dude, he gets into with opponents and even teammates at times, but that doesn't equate to being a head case in my mind. I want dogs on my team, not ***** cats.

D-Leethal
01-03-2014, 11:46 AM
If he could turn into a defensive anchor, he could be the most dominant two-way C in the league. He is a guy who forces double and triple teams and can break the back of opposing defenses the same way Cs of the past used to. People don't give enough credence to what forcing double teams does for a team. When you don't command enough respect to be doubled and teams play you straight up every night, the stats you put up in that single coverage don't really matter all that much to me.

michaelb2254
01-03-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm a Bulls fan but I watch almost every Kings game on LP. Mostly because I love the way Cousins plays. Best Center in the league in my opinion. He has a massive advantage over Dwight on the offensive end, enough to make up for what Dwight has on D.

BKLYNpigeon
01-03-2014, 12:14 PM
I dont think Demarcus Cousins has figured out how to play defense.

Sly Guy
01-03-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm a Bulls fan but I watch almost every Kings game on LP. Mostly because I love the way Cousins plays. Best Center in the league in my opinion. He has a massive advantage over Dwight on the offensive end, enough to make up for what Dwight has on D.

that's not in any doubt. I think Cousins has the best offensive skillset of any big man in the league right now, and I really don't think anyone out there is close. But he's been a spoiled brat ever since he came into the league, if he cleans up his attitude [or has], then the sky's the limit for this kid.

dnl123
01-03-2014, 12:24 PM

The way the game is played now I think it is more valuable to have a defensive center than an offensive one. You can get your points elsewhere, but getting stops inside the paint is how you win.

Swashcuff
01-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Two best offensive Cs in the NBA are him and Brook... Scary thing though is that he's just 23 years old and to couple with his volume and much improved efficiency he's looking even scarier on the glass. If he can put it together defensively its not very far fetched to think that he can potentially go down as one of the best Cs of this generation.

He deserves TONNES of credit for his improved efficiency it was the biggest knock US naysayers had on his offensive game, watched him absolutely dominate us last night and had it not been for foul trouble he could have easily dropped 45 and 20 on us. He was THAT good offensively.

ghettosean
01-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Two best offensive Cs in the NBA are him and Brook... Scary thing though is that he's just 23 years old and to couple with his volume and much improved efficiency he's looking even scarier on the glass. If he can put it together defensively its not very far fetched to think that he can potentially go down as one of the best Cs of this generation.

He deserves TONNES of credit for his improved efficiency it was the biggest knock US naysayers had on his offensive game, watched him absolutely dominate us last night and had it not been for foul trouble he could have easily dropped 45 and 20 on us. He was THAT good offensively.

Strange for me to say this but I think Shaq had some influence on his game since he invested in the kings. I never thought he would be a good mentor for younger guys because he's a goof ball and he gets jealous very easily (D12) but I'm sure he brought him along somehow to where he's at this season.

waveycrockett
01-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Yea it's a toss up between him and Brook. Lopez is more efficient, a much better shot blocker and fundamentally sounds but Cousins has the edge in athleticism and a much much better rebounder. Neither guy is better than Dwight tho. Cousins really needs to pick it up defensively. Guys like Davis and Drummond have a much higher ceiling because of what they can bring on both ends

Swashcuff
01-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Strange for me to say this but I think Shaq had some influence on his game since he invested in the kings. I never thought he would be a good mentor for younger guys because he's a goof ball and he gets jealous very easily (D12) but I'm sure he brought him along somehow to where he's at this season.

I never even thought of that. Can't say for certain but its truly an interesting take on it.

Tony_Starks
01-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Cousins bad seed rep is waaaaay overblown. He doesn't get into trouble off the court, he brings it every night, and he wants to win.

He's just the new Rasheed Wallace. Fiery temper, you have to reel him in at times, but in turn gets a lot of "reputation" technicals.

waveycrockett
01-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Cousins bad seed rep is waaaaay overblown. He doesn't get into trouble off the court, he brings it every night, and he wants to win.

He's just the new Rasheed Wallace. Fiery temper, you have to reel him in at times, but in turn gets a lot of "reputation" technicals.
Nah he's gotten into fist fights with teammates, gotten coaches fired, had to have his mother fly with him on board team flights to keep him under control. His rep is well deserved.

Tony_Starks
01-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Nah he's gotten into fist fights with teammates, gotten coaches fired, had to have his mother fly with him on board team flights to keep him under control. His rep is well deserved.

His coach got himself fired and fights between teammates is not uncommon we just don't usually hear about it. MJ punched several of his teammates in the face including Steve Kerr who is a choir boy.

I'm not saying he's not a immature big kid but I'd much rather have somebody with that kind of fire than half these bums that just show up for a paycheck....

MonroeFAN
01-03-2014, 01:45 PM
I love how you listed a sample size of stats, but failed to mention the sample size.

Regardless, he's a baller and always has been. Proud owner of his in both fantasy leagues I participate in. I don't disagree with his attitude towards teammates at all last season. They sucked, he didn't. Now they have a nice core to build around with him and Isiah. Not a terrible time to be a sac town fan.

waveycrockett
01-03-2014, 01:51 PM
His coach got himself fired and fights between teammates is not uncommon we just don't usually hear about it. MJ punched several of his teammates in the face including Steve Kerr who is a choir boy.

I'm not saying he's not a immature big kid but I'd much rather have somebody with that kind of fire than half these bums that just show up for a paycheck....

Fist fights where you break your teammates jaw? No. They're not common. Please dont compare MJ's competitive fire with whatever the hell is wrong with Cousins. He's had a laundry list of incidents stemming from his high school days. His coach got himself fired because Cousins basically forced his hand. Dude was out of control. When your mom needs to be with you on team flights it says alot.

MonroeFAN
01-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Says hes a young kid that has some growing up to do. Anything else and I would say you're reading to far into it.

beasted86
01-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Why is his team so epically bad if he is so good?

I dare one of you clowns to say its because he doesn't have enough talent around him... I'm waiting....

waveycrockett
01-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Says hes a young kid that has some growing up to do. Anything else and I would say you're reading to far into it.

Nah it's def not normal for even a rookie to act like he has. And he plays in a back woods town in Sacramento where they can cover up a bunch of the crap he does. Imagine if he played in a big market? Awful.

Chronz
01-03-2014, 02:00 PM

I dare one of you clowns to say its because he doesn't have enough talent around him... I'm waiting....

His 2nd best player is 5"9 and barely started getting some burn.

But yes, with him, his stats overemphasize his actual impact, his defensive impact is non-existent and for all the talk about his improved efficiency, hes still only average.

J4KOP99
01-03-2014, 02:01 PM
...until he loses it again.

hotdalton18
01-03-2014, 02:02 PM
There's not a big better then him in the league right now IMO

MonroeFAN
01-03-2014, 02:03 PM

Why are you calling people clowns?

shep33
01-03-2014, 02:13 PM

They don't have an average NBA defender on that squad. Rudy Gay is pretty awful. I mean the raps are 9-3 after dealing him lol. McClemore is still learning how to play, and realistically Isiah is the 2nd best player on that team.

They have young undeveloped talent and Rudy, so I wouldn't call the a stacked team to say the least

sunsfan88
01-03-2014, 04:15 PM

He had to have his mother fly with him on board team flights?

Ebbs
01-03-2014, 04:25 PM

One of the worst assessments of talent I've ever seen on this site.

Wrigheyes4MVP
01-03-2014, 04:27 PM
As a Kings fan, I've been very critical of Cousins.

But in reality, he has improved every year and has become a great offensive big.

His defense isn't great, but he is an excellent rebounder and a big body who has enough skill to create some turnovers.

He'll likely never be a defensive anchor, but his offense is becoming legit and getting better every year. The potential offensively is almost limitless.

I've never cared about the attitude. I think its overblown. He has a Rasheed Wallace type attitude... tons of passion mixed with a lot of immaturity. Regardless, the passion is there and he wants to be great. If he keeps improving, then I could care less about his "bad attitude".

Anyway, it seems as though the mentoring from Shaq and the new coaching staff has helped him as well.

The kid is becoming a really good player and is still only 23 years old.

We need to land a top pick this year though. Can you imagine pairing up Cousins with one of Parker, Wiggins, or Randle?

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Who knew that shaq could teach.

sunsfan88
01-03-2014, 04:35 PM

Really? You should see the ones in which people try to say that Kobe is as good or almost as good as Jordan!

:laugh:

sunsfan88
01-03-2014, 04:37 PM
His 2nd best player is 5"9 and barely started getting some burn.

But yes, with him, his stats overemphasize his actual impact, his defensive impact is non-existent and for all the talk about his improved efficiency, hes still only average.

Exactly. He gives up almost as much on the other end of the court as he scores.

Chronz
01-03-2014, 04:38 PM

What was so wrong about it? A center version of a young Z-Bo aint too bad. Only Cousins has abit more skill passing the ball.

Ebbs
01-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Really? You should see the ones in which people try to say that Kobe is as good or almost as good as Jordan!

:laugh:

Exactly. He gives up almost as much on the other end of the court as he scores.

What was so wrong about it? A center version of a young Z-Bo aint too bad. Only Cousins has abit more skill passing the ball.

He plays nothing like Z-bo lol. They both shoot at the basket a lot but Cousins is quite athletic. I also don't see Z-bo puut the ball on the floor very often.

Yes they're both lack luster defenders but I don't see much more in the comparison.

Chronz
01-03-2014, 05:15 PM
He plays nothing like Z-bo lol. They both shoot at the basket a lot but Cousins is quite athletic. I also don't see Z-bo puut the ball on the floor very often.

Yes they're both lack luster defenders but I don't see much more in the comparison.

Well at different career points they either settled for far too many jumpers or they bullied people inside. Cousins is more athletic, thats why I feel hes able to play center, thus the center version, but for his position, is he really that much more athletic than a young Z-Bo (before the knee injury). I guess he just looks stone footed to me on defense, but I have to correct you on 1 thing, young Z-Bo absolutely did put it on the floor. He hadn't yet developed the range but hes always had a feathery touch inside. When he put it on the floor, he let his bulk create the angles inside. Now hes pretty much just a post player but its been for the best in terms of his production and longevity.

I dont think its a perfect comp but we both know its hyperbole to call it the worst. What would be a better comp in your mind?

jimm120
01-03-2014, 05:29 PM
He figured it out? Just like in this video.

I figured it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w4mVycaC_o

;

KnicksorBust
01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Well at different career points they either settled for far too many jumpers or they bullied people inside. Cousins is more athletic, thats why I feel hes able to play center, thus the center version, but for his position, is he really that much more athletic than a young Z-Bo (before the knee injury). I guess he just looks stone footed to me on defense, but I have to correct you on 1 thing, young Z-Bo absolutely did put it on the floor. He hadn't yet developed the range but hes always had a feathery touch inside. When he put it on the floor, he let his bulk create the angles inside. Now hes pretty much just a post player but its been for the best in terms of his production and longevity.

I dont think its a perfect comp but we both know its hyperbole to call it the worst. What would be a better comp in your mind?

Poor man's Rony Seikaly.

Chronz
01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Poor man's Rony Seikaly.

Rich mans Ewing

KnicksorBust
01-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Rich mans Ewing

I'll remember this.

Tony_Starks
01-03-2014, 07:18 PM
All I know is let them put that kid on the trading block and half of the league would come knocking, attitude and all....

Sactown
01-03-2014, 07:34 PM

Stone feet? DMC took the most charges in the league last year I believe, also hes like 14th in post defense % he's not a bad defender at all in fact probably the best on the team which speaks more about everyone else than him... Isaiah gets shredded on the regular

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Maybe shaq can coach Howard as well.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Poor man's Rony Seikaly.

Rich man's Tyson Chandler.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-03-2014, 08:27 PM
So far this season, boobie is third in charges taken with 12.

KnicksorBust
01-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Rich mans Ewing

Baiting. Where are the mods to control the madness?

The_Jamal
01-04-2014, 12:29 AM
Poor man's Rony Seikaly.

you best be joking son

Cal827
01-04-2014, 12:37 AM

Rich Man's KnicksorBust :D

To the point, it's good to see that he's getting the recognition... Hopefully, he can get his fouling down though.

This one is random but just imagine a Davis-Cousins Front Court :drool:

KnicksorBust
01-04-2014, 04:45 PM
you best be joking son

:) Haven't heard your thoughts on the Kings yet? You think they just need time to gel or still more moves?

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-04-2014, 05:10 PM

You started it.
Settle down ;)

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Rich Man's KnicksorBust :D

Shots fired! :O

The_Jamal
01-04-2014, 07:40 PM
:) Haven't heard your thoughts on the Kings yet? You think they just need time to gel or still more moves?

Both. Still struggling to get IT-Gay-Cousins on the same wave-length. However, they've still been putting up insane offensive numbers as a trio. Somewhere around 65 PPG on 58% TS combined. The problem is our role guys are all offensive-minded scorers who can't play D. We need some Thabo, Shane Battier, Iman Shumpert, Nick Collison type of guys to surround our 3. There's maybe enough shots for 1 other offensive-minded guy, but basically all our shots are being taken by those 3. And just more time to play together. We've replaced 4 starters from the 1st game of the season to now. There's just naturally going to be chemistry issues.

Also, Cousins has actually been an above-average man-man post defender this year. His issues come when he has to rotate on help defense. He might be the worst in the league at doing so.

KnicksorBust
01-04-2014, 07:58 PM

Both. Still struggling to get IT-Gay-Cousins on the same wave-length. However, they've still been putting up insane offensive numbers as a trio. Somewhere around 65 PPG on 58% TS combined. The problem is our role guys are all offensive-minded scorers who can't play D. We need some Thabo, Shane Battier, Iman Shumpert, Nick Collison type of guys to surround our 3. There's maybe enough shots for 1 other offensive-minded guy, but basically all our shots are being taken by those 3. And just more time to play together. We've replaced 4 starters from the 1st game of the season to now. There's just naturally going to be chemistry issues.

Also, Cousins has actually been an above-average man-man post defender this year. His issues come when he has to rotate on help defense. He might be the worst in the league at doing so.

I noticed you left off Mclemore and Derrick Williams... Future starters or bad fit??

imbetterthanyou
01-04-2014, 08:20 PM
I noticed you left off Mclemore and Derrick Williams... Future starters or bad fit??

McLemore really needs to let the game come to him and learn how to play D. He does everything way too fast right now. Williams is a rotational player that I could see staying here or being shipped off with someone else

Agent008
01-04-2014, 09:11 PM

I think McLemore is definitely our SG of the future. He just needs to get some experience under his belt and he'll be fine.

Not as sure about Williams. Williams has been good for the Kings, but I don't see him as a future starter. Gay is a better SF than Williams and I think we need a defensive presence at PF. Williams would be a nice offensive weapon off the bench, but I'm not sure that he's a lock to be part of the team's future.

thekmp211
01-04-2014, 09:46 PM
HAS to get better on defense. has to. but he is a beast on the offensive end.

Sadds The Gr8
01-04-2014, 09:47 PM
good player but he's a Grade A asshat

ThaDubs
01-05-2014, 05:14 AM
He got 33 points and 14 rebounds in 28 minutes vs. the Sixers.... yikes.

ThaDubs
01-05-2014, 05:20 AM

Filthy, filthy, filthy rich. Money out the ***.

CousinsEvansDUO
01-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Cousins' talent this year is not only phenomenal but one of the great historic years of any 23 year old bigman in this league. If he is capable of doing this so soon then imagine his progress next year? When it's all said and done he's reaching GOAT big man argument status. I'm talking HOFs, MVPs, FINALS MPVs, DEVENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR, FUTURE HOF COACH.

kingsdelez24
01-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Cousins' talent this year is not only phenomenal but one of the great historic years of any 23 year old bigman in this league. If he is capable of doing this so soon then imagine his progress next year? When it's all said and done he's reaching GOAT big man argument status. I'm talking HOFs, MVPs, FINALS MPVs, DEVENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR, FUTURE HOF COACH.

CEDUO IS BACK!

I've mised his troll posts. Beats freejimmer any day.

You should drop him a line or two about how to troll properly

Chronz
01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Stone feet? DMC took the most charges in the league last year I believe, also hes like 14th in post defense % he's not a bad defender at all in fact probably the best on the team which speaks more about everyone else than him... Isaiah gets shredded on the regular
How many charges is that like 30(less?)? What about the other 95% of team possessions hes suppose to be anchoring? Thats like pointing out when a defensive liability leads the league in steals.

Show me any true anchor that allows his team to be the worst in the league defensively.

tredigs
01-05-2014, 05:03 PM
My favorite Cousins memory is last season when the Kings were up about 7 late in the 4th quarter against the Dubs. Draymond Green was at the line to shoot 3 - missed his first FT - and Cousins randomly starts doing the choke sign around his neck in the key between shots. Que Draymond draining the next two FT's, forcing a turnover, hitting a shot, and the net result a couple minutes later was the Warriors winning the game on a buzzer beater. Cousins face was priceless.

He's an idiot.

A talented ****ing idiot.

DetroitBadBoy
01-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Boogie shoulda been a Piston!

ThaDubs
01-06-2014, 07:31 AM

You have Andre ****ing Drummond and Greg ****ing Monroe. Why you'd want Boogie is beyond me.

b@llhog24
01-06-2014, 10:39 AM
You have Andre ****ing Drummond and Greg ****ing Monroe. Why you'd want Boogie is beyond me.

Because he's better than Moose.

Im_in_Mia_bish
01-06-2014, 04:55 PM

Lmao how many bigs do you guys want?
Is josh smith gonna move to the 2 to give both of them mins? Lol

kingsdelez24
01-06-2014, 09:57 PM

Lmao how many bigs do you guys want?
Is josh smith gonna move to the 2 to give both of them mins? Lol

He meant instead of Monroe

Sactown
01-07-2014, 05:50 AM
How many charges is that like 30(less?)? What about the other 95% of team possessions hes suppose to be anchoring? Thats like pointing out when a defensive liability leads the league in steals.

Show me any true anchor that allows his team to be the worst in the league defensively.

Never said he was a defensive anchor just argued he doesnt have stone feet.. he has very quick feet.. he doesnt know the first thing about rotating on defense but that doesn't mean he has stone feet..

Also horrible analogy..

Never said Boogie was an anchor just that he had quick feet.. also hes a pretty good man defender

Chronz
01-07-2014, 06:45 AM
Never said he was a defensive anchor just argued he doesnt have stone feet..he has very quick feet.. he doesnt know the first thing about rotating on defense but that doesn't mean he has stone feet..
We just have different standards then. He plays defense like he doesn't know how to move his feet laterally.

Also horrible analogy..
What makes you think so?

Never said Boogie was an anchor just that he had quick feet.. also hes a pretty good man defender
So is Bargnani, still a **** defender.

Chronz
01-07-2014, 06:48 AM
But yea, sometimes he just over extends himself

rhymeratic
01-07-2014, 07:26 AM
I just feel like you still can't win with him as your primary guy. Seems like his stats are inflated. This dude should be closer to 60% from the field than 50%. Not very efficient for a Center.

Swashcuff
01-07-2014, 10:11 AM
I just feel like you still can't win with him as your primary guy. Seems like his stats are inflated. This dude should be closer to 60% from the field than 50%. Not very efficient for a Center.

Dude the aim on offense is to score points not make field goals this season Cousins is plenty efficient. In terms of FG% he's average for Cs but in better measures of scoring efficiency he's rock solid.

Jarvo
01-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Been liked him he just need a strong minded coach, He balling this year.

Chronz
01-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Dude the aim on offense is to score points not make field goals this season Cousins is plenty efficient. In terms of FG% he's average for Cs but in better measures of scoring efficiency he's rock solid.
The aim is to score points efficiently.

By rock solid u do mean average right?

Sactown
01-07-2014, 12:32 PM
We just have different standards then. He plays defense like he doesn't know how to move his feet laterally.

What makes you think so?

I think he lacks the defensive knowledge not the physical abilities unless you're talking about being a great shot blocker

It's a bad analogy because I never said his taking charges made him a good defeder but more of evidence that he could move his feet.

Still didn't say he was a good overall defender was just a good man defender

Honestly I think with more time under Malone he will improve grately in that category

Sactown
01-07-2014, 12:36 PM

His efficiency is on the rise and when you say average do you mean for someone with his usage rate? Because he has the highest usage rate in the league at his position dudes 23 and is improving greatly

Chronz
01-07-2014, 12:56 PM

What makes you think so?

I think he lacks the defensive knowledge not the physical abilities unless you're talking about being a great shot blocker

It's a bad analogy because I never said his taking charges made him a good defeder but more of evidence that he could move his feet.

Still didn't say he was a good overall defender was just a good man defender

Honestly I think with more time under Malone he will improve grately in that category
Yeah definitely different standards, just doesn't look or play that athletically to me.

Ok bad analogy but thats an even worse counter point. Isn't Battier a great charge taker and decent defender (used to be great), would you ever call Battier athletic? I'm pretty sure hes referred to himself as slow but he understood positioning. Battiers defense wasnt a result of overwhelming athleticism.

What makes Cousins such an awful defender is that he is without the smarts and overwhelming athletic ability.

And again, being a good man defender doesnt mean much without team awareness. You'd be surprised how many bad defenders were pretty good on their man, often times its a result of their inability to help out.

As for him having the ability to improve, that should go without saying.

Chronz
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM

His efficiency is on the rise and when you say average do you mean for someone with his usage rate? Because he has the highest usage rate in the league at his position dudes 23 and is improving greatly
Having the highest usage in the league isn't always a good thing, his usage would be lower if he wasn't turning it over or missing shots for example. But in short, yes, utterly average. Which is a big step up for him tho.

Offensively isn't where he needs to improve the most tho, bigmen who can't defend are much harder to build around, particularly when they are of average efficiency

Swashcuff
01-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Thought it was understand that in a discussion about efficiency we'd be talking about scoring efficiently. Guess I needed to explain that.

Yup by his standards his efficiency has been rock solid. From the start of the season until now he really hasn't shown that he's THAT much of a black hole offensively anymore.

Sactown
01-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Yeah definitely different standards, just doesn't look or play that athletically to me.

Ok bad analogy but thats an even worse counter point. Isn't Battier a great charge taker and decent defender (used to be great), would you ever call Battier athletic? I'm pretty sure hes referred to himself as slow but he understood positioning. Battiers defense wasnt a result of overwhelming athleticism.

What makes Cousins such an awful defender is that he is without the smarts and overwhelming athletic ability.

And again, being a good man defender doesnt mean much without team awareness. You'd be surprised how many bad defenders were pretty good on their man, often times its a result of their inability to help out.

As for him having the ability to improve, that should go without saying.

Battier is more of an exception than the rule, he is great at positioning, while Cousins is just quick enough to get to the spot. Being great at taking charges and being good at defense are about as related as steals and great defense. You can have both, but you can also have one without the other.

Cousins is also considered by many to be fairly athletic, I mean by no means is he a quick leaper, so he isn't able to get up and contest people at the rim, he's just able to beat them to the spot. His rotations are bad, but mostly because he either over rotates, or misses the rotation completely, and it doesn't help having the worst defensive back court in the league, and having a below average defender playing PF as well..

I disagree with it being difficult to build around him, you can easily go out and get a number of great shot blocking PF's who can help compensate for his lack of quick leaping, and with Cousins size, he can learn to rotate well and clog the lane.. besides his inability to block shots, the rest of his defensive problems are form a lack of understanding, not physical limitations.

Blaming him for the teams awful defense isn't fair if you've watched them play, Malone has said that he's never seen a 1-2-3 on the perimeter fail at containing so badly. He has a far ways to go to be an elite defender, but he definitely can do it. We desperately need a shot blocking PF/C that we can play besides him though.

Chronz
01-08-2014, 03:27 AM
Thought it was understand (u mean understood) that in a discussion about efficiency we'd be talking about scoring efficiently. Guess I needed to explain that.
LOL, the last time you got banned we had an argument about offensive efficiency + usage, what made your comment stand out was that you critiqued a post about efficiency by saying its NOT about making FG, that its about scoring. Seems kind of hypocritical to chide me about mentioning efficiency here, especially considering what comes next.....

Yup by his standards his efficiency has been rock solid. From the start of the season until now he really hasn't shown that he's THAT much of a black hole offensively anymore.

Explain this, you said;
In terms of FG% he's average for Cs

Then you said

but in better measures of scoring efficiency he's rock solid

So hes average in terms of FG% BUT in terms of better metrics hes rock solid, which you just admitted is also average? Do you have any idea how dumb that sounds?

Essentially you just said, hes average in terms of FG% BUT in terms of better metrics, hes also average..... lmfao wtf

But yes, by his standards this has been a banner year.

Rndy
01-08-2014, 03:36 AM
Good for Cousins maybe Shaq is having a good influence on him? The guy talent wise should easily be one of the best centers in the league he just has off the chart offensive talent. His problem is mental though and there is still a long road this is easy. Premature thread in my opinion I want to see how he handles actually winning games and leading his team to getting out of consistently bad seasons. I wan't to see how he handles failure in the playoffs he's got a lot to work on but I'm happy he's been quiet for while pretty sad statement if I say so myself.

I'm rooting for LA I want them out of the Lottery so we can get our draft pick in the next few years so hopefully he can step up as a leader and lead he can put up all the stats he wants but until he gets his team out of being ****** none of it matters. He's stat padding a bad team right now but someone has to.

Chronz
01-08-2014, 03:40 AM
Battier is more of an exception than the rule, he is great at positioning, while Cousins is just quick enough to get to the spot.
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree here

Being great at taking charges and being good at defense are about as related as steals and great defense. You can have both, but you can also have one without the other.
Agreed, hence me bringing up the comparison when I thought you were propping up his defense.

Cousins is also considered by many to be fairly athletic, I mean by no means is he a quick leaper, so he isn't able to get up and contest people at the rim, he's just able to beat them to the spot. His rotations are bad, but mostly because he either over rotates, or misses the rotation completely,
Agreed, its the fact that he lacks overwhelming athletic ability combined with his poor IQ that makes him such a **** defender.

and it doesn't help having the worst defensive back court in the league, and having a below average defender playing PF as well..
See this is where the argument can go both ways, with great defenders, being surrounded by **** defenders is when that great defenders impact is most felt. But yes, when dealing with a bad defender, it hurts their impact in that area.

I disagree with it being difficult to build around him, you can easily go out and get a number of great shot blocking PF's who can help compensate for his lack of quick leaping, and with Cousins size, he can learn to rotate well and clog the lane.. besides his inability to block shots, the rest of his defensive problems are form a lack of understanding, not physical limitations.
See this is where our differing standards come into play, you saying that you absolutely need to get this kind of defensive force to pair with him is already a weakness, that its compounded by mediocre efficiency makes it that much harder to build around. Hes obviously a talented player so Im not saying its impossible, just harder.
Put it this way, scoring is easier to replace at different positions, but a dominant defensive anchor typically comes from bigmen, when a bigman lacks that, he better be damn good offensively, which Cousins isn't, at least not yet. Thats why I put more emphasis on defense when it comes to bigs, its an area where they can impact the game heavily, for better or worse.

Blaming him for the teams awful defense isn't fair if you've watched them play
But Im not just watching him play, Im watching all other teams and comparing him to bigs of years past. Its absolutely fair to critique him for having such a minuscule impact defensively, again different standards, I expect more from big men defensively. Its fine if you want to focus solely on your teams needs, but I need a greater lens for a basis for comparison.

, Malone has said that he's never seen a 1-2-3 on the perimeter fail at containing so badly. He has a far ways to go to be an elite defender, but he definitely can do it. We desperately need a shot blocking PF/C that we can play besides him though.
Taj Gibson would be nice, so about a 8-10M dollar PF/C is what you need alongside him. I dont know why you think those guys are so readily available but heres hoping you can find one. You're team has gone after a **** ton of PF's over the years and have yet to find him a quality candidate. Im dissappointed that the Hayes signing never worked out, he went from being a fan favorite for his grit and defensive positioning to seeing his impact dwindle in Sactown.

shep33
01-08-2014, 03:44 AM
I love this kid. He needs to play with a real playmaker though. We forget that he's played with scrubs and has never been mentored, nor played with vets, nor had a good coach.

He's basically had to grow up and develop on his own. Shaq might help him though. Wish he played alongside a vet big or point guard though. Just to teach him some tricks

CityofTreez
01-08-2014, 03:52 AM
He's excelling and that's all we ask for (as kings fans) who have seen **** pile upon **** in the past years.

Shaq have him a goal of reaching 25pts/15reb and he's doing his best to reach that potential.

Swashcuff
01-08-2014, 09:01 AM
LOL, the last time you got banned we had an argument about offensive efficiency + usage, what made your comment stand out was that you critiqued a post about efficiency by saying its NOT about making FG, that its about scoring. Seems kind of hypocritical to chide me about mentioning efficiency here, especially considering what comes next.....

Explain this, you said;
In terms of FG% he's average for Cs

Then you said

but in better measures of scoring efficiency he's rock solid

So hes average in terms of FG% BUT in terms of better metrics hes rock solid, which you just admitted is also average? Do you have any idea how dumb that sounds?

Essentially you just said, hes average in terms of FG% BUT in terms of better metrics, hes also average..... lmfao wtf

But yes, by his standards this has been a banner year.

Aren't you the guy who always like to carry on about people who have issues with wording and no exactly what was being said.

It seems as if you don't understand what you're reading. It doesn't sound stupid. His TS% doesn't come as a fluke it doesn't seem as if he just had a hot start to the season or something of the nature, it has been riding the statistical wave pretty consistently for the most part this season. Rock Solid in this context meaning he's been consistently efficient for the most part.

Oh and the last time I got banned wasn't because of a conversation of efficiency it was because of a conversation had with idiots and hypocrites. I didn't get banned for my conversation with you I got banned for my conversation with ignoramuses who couldn't have a conversation about a player play on the court without bringing what the believe his personal life to be into the discussion.

Rndy
01-08-2014, 10:15 AM
You two bicker a lot like an old forum couple.

ThaDubs
01-08-2014, 10:59 AM
I had a dream last night that Boogie scored 49 points vs. the Knicks. He missed the last FT that would have give him 50 and started freaking out. No ****ing lie.

Chronz
01-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Aren't you the guy who always like to carry on about people who have issues with wording and no exactly what was being said.
You mean know right? And I know what you're saying, I just mock people when they chide my remarks as if they were without purpose.

It seems as if you don't understand what you're reading. It doesn't sound stupid. His TS% doesn't come as a fluke it doesn't seem as if he just had a hot start to the season or something of the nature, it has been riding the statistical wave pretty consistently for the most part this season. Rock Solid in this context meaning he's been consistently efficient for the most part.
You're still not getting it, Im not debating that it hasn't been consistent but you already said his FG% was average, then you added "BUT his (TS%) is "ROCK SOLID" which you already admitted was ALSO average. It sounds plenty dumb when you use the word "but" without interjecting a different point in this argument. Point is, the guy was onto something when pointing out his mediocre efficiency. Im sure he doesn't deny his improvement, but hes still got some ways to go before being that bonafide franchise cornerstone. Still tho, great progress. Definitely a top-5 center this year IMO

Oh and the last time I got banned wasn't because of a conversation of efficiency it was because of a conversation had with idiots and hypocrites. I didn't get banned for my conversation with you I got banned for my conversation with ignoramuses who couldn't have a conversation about a player play on the court without bringing what the believe his personal life to be into the discussion.
Im sure you have your reasons but the point I was making was the last time you got banned we were having that very same discussion.

Anyways, Im over this petty spat if u r

JLynn943
01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
I had a dream last night that Boogie scored 49 points vs. the Knicks. He missed the last FT that would have give him 50 and started freaking out. No ****ing lie.

:laugh2:

LeGacy is Music
01-08-2014, 02:00 PM
People confuse being a feisty person with being a bad person. What was the first thing Cousins did after inking his big contract? Donated over a million bucks to charity. Cousins plays with an edge, he's a firey dude, he gets into with opponents and even teammates at times, but that doesn't equate to being a head case in my mind. I want dogs on my team, not ***** cats.

You had to be from NY LOL you are still in the OAKLY/MASON ERA lol so am I lol.

Sactown
01-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Having the highest usage in the league isn't always a good thing, his usage would be lower if he wasn't turning it over or missing shots for example. But in short, yes, utterly average. Which is a big step up for him tho.

Offensively isn't where he needs to improve the most tho, bigmen who can't defend are much harder to build around, particularly when they are of average efficiency

In his defense the Kings are ranked 6th in oppositions 2 point FG%, so we actually aren't bad defending in the paint, were 2nd to last in opp 3 point FG% and 3PT FGM also we are about dead last in preventing fast break points... Are defensive problems are more of an undersized PG who is an attrocious defender, and a rookie SG who doesn't understand the defensive concepts who's back up is a SG who doesnt even pretend to try on that end of the floor