PDA

View Full Version : Casey named EC Coach of the Month

GodsSon
01-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Casey guided the Raptors to an 8-6 record in December, including road wins over the Dallas Mavericks and Oklahoma City Thunder.

The Raptors (15-15) posted six road victories last month and have won seven of their last nine games overall. Toronto visits the Washington Wizards on Friday night.

Jeff Hornacek of the Phoenix Suns was named Western Conference coach of the month after helping the Suns to a 10-3 record over that stretch.

NEW YORK - Toronto Raptors head coach Dwane Casey was named NBA Eastern Conference coach of the month Thursday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=440228

Getting some props

ink
01-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Very well deserved.

gwrighter
01-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Good for him. What he's been able to do with this team has been a breath of fresh air.

ink
01-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Good for him. What he's been able to do with this team has been a breath of fresh air.

I agree. Despite all of us haggling over how to get better, we can all see some very good basketball being played. It has been fantastic and I think all of us want to keep seeing that kind of execution and production. Yesterday I was actually seeing a lot of very smart plays being made by our team and that is a combination of coaching and players. Like Casey said after the Chicago game, finding workable rotations is a lot easier when the players are productive in their roles. Great to see things click for the team, their tenacity comes directly from their coach.

pulzar
01-02-2014, 05:53 PM
I've been one of those saying earlier this season that Casey will have to go before this team could get any better... I'm glad that he proved me wrong. Way to go!

GameBreaker
01-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Funny how everyone wanted him gone, but now that he won EC COTM, people are giving him props on here. Hahahahahaha. Y'all kill me. Seems like only our fans were not giving him the respect, yet, other people recognized his efforts and what he had to work with, when there's CONSTANT changes to the man's roster. Proves why people need to exercise patience, once in a while.

Kaylon
01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
I agree that sering a tighter rotation is a nice change to see... JV and Ross seem to be making the most of this change...

Jamiecballer
01-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Funny how everyone wanted him gone, but now that he won EC COTM, people are giving him props on here. Hahahahahaha. Y'all kill me. Seems like only our fans were not giving him the respect, yet, other people recognized his efforts and what he had to work with, when there's CONSTANT changes to the man's roster. Proves why people need to exercise patience, once in a while.

If people didn't acknowledge what he'd done you'd call them haters. No winning with you!

mjt20mik
01-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Funny thing.. I think it's gonna between him and Jeff Hornacek for COY

B2B
01-02-2014, 06:15 PM

Coy, EOY, all these awards are based on a boost in win production. A lot of COY winner's have gone on to be fired the following year.

If these awards had any real merit, Pop would be coach of the month, every month & COY, every year.

That said I'm not beyond giving him credit for his & the teams recent improvements. The defense is good, he has the team playing hard, the offense/team management which I've been critical of is also improving.

I've had issues with some of his decisions to date, I don't wish him to fail.

deaner
01-02-2014, 06:16 PM
If I don't chime in soon Jamie will hire a hit man on me...

Congrats Casey.

I hope he's starting to see the difference between 20minutes of Novak @ the 4, Rudy ISO's gone wild, end of game gaffes, and regular sub can achieve. I've never wanted thin to fail, just didn't like decisions, rotations, accountability, play calls etc. He has a long way to go before I want him back next year... but he is improving. For that... well done.

B2B
01-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Ink let me ask you a simple question.

What are/were peoples credentials when they criticized & mocked our 2x exec of the year?.

Doesn't take an experienced/HOF coach to know you call more than one timeout when a team goes on a 40-10 run when you have a 26 point lead with less than 3mins in the 3rd & the other teams fans are becoming a factor.

ink
01-02-2014, 06:25 PM
For once let's just let a thread be about giving someone credit.

ink
01-02-2014, 06:27 PM

There have been people giving him props in here. I've felt he was working with a bad hand for a while and now that the hand has improved, so have the results. It's not that simple, but I am very happy to see him get this kind of recognition. People who fight through challenges like he has deserve props like this.

Slade123
01-02-2014, 06:35 PM

Posters were giving him credit in the Pacers/Raptors game thread.

Bramaca
01-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Nice that he won coach of the month. But like maybe making the playoffs this season I hope better then expected results doesn't make MU think this is the team and coach to necesarily move forward with.

pulzar
01-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Funny how everyone wanted him gone, but now that he won EC COTM, people are giving him props on here. Hahahahahaha. Y'all kill me.

Sports fans are fickle. News at 10.

deaner
01-02-2014, 06:55 PM

why? isn't this a forum of opinion? I read that from you all the time. Seems like 34 posts of yeah Casey would be a waste of bandwidth. I am happy for his current success, but I am much more even keeled than a 4 game winning streak. There should be nothing wrong with evaluation as a whole.

LanceUpperCut
01-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Props Casey you are growing as a head coach and finally have very unselfish roster.

Raps_93
01-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Well Deserved! Is this this what Casey can do with a solid team? either way, nice to see the league looking north and acknowledging the way we are playing.

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 07:00 PM
My problem with casey was with his rotations... hated that he played allan anderson soo much over ross last year, might see more of that with salmons this year.. So long as jonas and ross get their mins to develop this season ill be ok with casey.

But credit where its due. He has kept the players focused since the trade and they have bought in!

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Ink let me ask you a simple question.

What are/were peoples credentials when they criticized & mocked our 2x exec of the year?.

Doesn't take an experienced/HOF coach to know you call more than one timeout when a team goes on a 40-10 run when you have a 26 point lead with less than 3mins in the 3rd & the other teams fans are becoming a factor.

that golden state game was heart breaking.

bucketss
01-02-2014, 07:05 PM
i still don't like his rotations and decision making, they've gotten better since the gay trade, but benching val when hes playing great was annoying. i'll give him props for now

lajoie
01-02-2014, 07:10 PM
If the Raptors make the playoffs, it'll be interesting to see how Casey reacts given the playoffs is all about adjustments. I'm not sure he'll be able to handle it

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
i still don't like his rotations and decision making, they've gotten better since the gay trade, but benching val when hes playing great was annoying. i'll give him props for now

yeah, that kind of stuff drives me crazy.

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 07:12 PM
If the Raptors make the playoffs, it'll be interesting to see how Casey reacts given the playoffs is all about adjustments. I'm not sure he'll be able to handle it

Its all about gaining that post season experience and then learning from your mistakes. he must have learned a thing or two during the mavs ship run.

ink
01-02-2014, 07:15 PM

why? isn't this a forum of opinion? I read that from you all the time. Seems like 34 posts of yeah Casey would be a waste of bandwidth. I am happy for his current success, but I am much more even keeled than a 4 game winning streak. There should be nothing wrong with evaluation as a whole.

Well, I did say "for once".

deaner
01-02-2014, 07:19 PM

my bad. I was in before the please be brain dead clause was made.

BALLER R
01-02-2014, 07:19 PM
What we didn't like about him is what he's starting to change. We all were screaming for him to have a tighter rotation. He finally did it.

dtmagnet
01-02-2014, 07:20 PM
My problem with casey was with his rotations... hated that he played allan anderson soo much over ross last year, might see more of that with salmons this year.. So long as jonas and ross get their mins to develop this season ill be ok with casey.

But credit where its due. He has kept the players focused since the trade and they have bought in!

Rotations was one of my main issues with him early this season as well, but I think he's finally decided which guys he's gonna go with and for how many minutes.

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Rotations was one of my main issues with him early this season as well, but I think he's finally decided which guys he's gonna go with and for how many minutes.

I think the trade helped. we got to fill some glaring holes in our rotation such as back up pg, got deeper in the front court with the addition of patterson.. ujiri really is the one to be praised here I think lol.

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 07:25 PM
What we didn't like about him is what he's starting to change. We all were screaming for him to have a tighter rotation. He finally did it.

did he ? or was it done for him. lol :p

ink
01-02-2014, 07:29 PM

my bad. I was in before the please be brain dead clause was made.

The repetitive hate for this man equals brain death so I asked for respite. I actually feel you've been fantastic at realizing when enough was enough so props for that. :) also in award type threads the op is typically not a debate point. But thanks for giving the praise you did feel good with. Happy new year btw, I think we are all enjoying the team at this moment and that alone is welcome. They've earned it just as Casey has.

bucketss
01-02-2014, 07:36 PM
i think he was trying to tank at first maybe?

BHF
01-02-2014, 07:56 PM
He is doing a better job right now with the rotation. Still he messed up way to many times this season for me to trust him, he alone is to blame for at least 10 losses this season and 5 game win streak wont change my mind anytime soon.

FlakeyFool
01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
10 losses? No.

Good for him, I guess. I wasnt a fan of his going into the season but Im being convinced otherwise

mjt20mik
01-02-2014, 09:01 PM
i think he was trying to tank at first maybe?

I think it was more of trying to utilize players in the wrong situation. He was trying to use Rudy as a point forward to alleviate some of the stress on Kyle, since Kyle was the only true NBA PG we had. He also tried using sets for pick and rolls with Rudy which just didn't work.

I think it was more that the scheme didn't fit the players we had, and now since we got players that fit his scheme, everyone is doing well. Casey really hasn't changed anything, and I don't really think he would tank.

Tmath
01-02-2014, 09:45 PM
I'll give him his props.

I've had my problems with Casey in the past, but right now, he is keeping a tight rotation, has the team playing together, is developing JV and Ross, has the team competing every game.

Casey and Thibs are easily the hardest working coaches on the sidelines, and he has earned his COTM award.

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 11:01 PM
I'll give him his props.

I've had my problems with Casey in the past, but right now, he is keeping a tight rotation, has the team playing together, is developing JV and Ross, has the team competing every game.
Casey and Thibs are easily the hardest working coaches on the sidelines, and he has earned his COTM award.

developing jv & ross, keepig a tighter rotation were things I really wanted to see this season. so far so good.

FriedTofuz
01-02-2014, 11:16 PM
I honestly think, he thought this team's direction was to tank, which is why he made questionable moves LOL.
And even Masai himself, wanted to tank. Otherwise, he wouldnt have followed up a rudy gay trade with a potential move for Lowry. So I guess the direction of the organization changed, or theyre hesitant on what to do.

GameBreaker
01-02-2014, 11:28 PM
If people didn't acknowledge what he'd done you'd call them haters. No winning with you!

Hahahaha. Totally not true, bruv. I jus like seeing the switch ups when we start winning and he FINALLY gets the acknowledgment, is all. Take it with a grain of salt, my friend.

GameBreaker
01-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Sports fans are fickle. News at 10.

Hahaha!!!

albertajaysfan
01-02-2014, 11:32 PM
Hahahaha. Totally not true, bruv. I jus like seeing the switch ups when we start winning and he FINALLY gets the acknowledgment, is all. Take it with a grain of salt, my friend.

Personally I prefer to enjoy the success and the team basketball we are getting lately.

GameBreaker
01-02-2014, 11:39 PM
Well, anyways, as mentioned above, I think he deserves his props for what he's done. We sometimes just have to remember that coaches are learning, as much as the players are. This is his FIRST head coach job, and with our franchise. I'm sure it didn't turn out the way he probably expected, with roster change after roster change. Being a TEAM is a 2-way street. He has to learn the characteristics and personalities of whoever the GMs put in front of him. The one thing NO ONE, that I've seen, mention is how absolutely professional Coach Casey is, day in and night out. Amid everything from HOME fans' distaste, GM roster changes, past lazy players, etc. Even to the simplest of things like learning, and calling, every person connected to the franchise and media, by their first name, when answering their questions. Very respectable man. Not saying he was a perfect coach, as he made MANY mistakes, but he is a man like all of us, and I'm sure he was plenty frustrated, when assignments weren't being executed in the past, by players. Anyways, great accolade to add to his shelf.

Sadds The Gr8
01-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Well, anyways, as mentioned above, I think he deserves his props for what he's done. We sometimes just have to remember that coaches are learning, as much as the players are. This is his FIRST head coach job, and with our franchise. I'm sure it didn't turn out the way he probably expected, with roster change after roster change. Being a TEAM is a 2-way street. He has to learn the characteristics and personalities of whoever the GMs put in front of him. The one thing NO ONE, that I've seen, mention is how absolutely professional Coach Casey is, day in and night out. Amid everything from HOME fans' distaste, GM roster changes, past lazy players, etc. Even to the simplest of things like learning, and calling, every person connected to the franchise and media, by their first name, when answering their questions. Very respectable man. Not saying he was a perfect coach, as he made MANY mistakes, but he is a man like all of us, and I'm sure he was plenty frustrated, when assignments weren't being executed in the past, by players. Anyways, great accolade to add to his shelf.nope.

Canadian_5abi
01-03-2014, 04:32 AM
Both the Players and the Coach Developed...Casey has always been a great defensive guy, I think MU really believed in what Casey is trying to do and he filled in those types of players. Now the players believe in their Coach, the GM is believing in his coach. The coach is believing in his players and GM and things are working...When a team is losing its easy to point fingers...we've pointed them at BC, Casey, Rudy Gay, DD, Bargnani (well this one was deserved)...No one points fingers at anyone when the team is winning. The bottom line is We now know what Casey has been trying to do would've always worked with the right players rotation and trust that's he's gained. Dallas Defense wasn't a fluke...it was Casey. EC COTM is deserved.

R. Johnson#3
01-03-2014, 10:01 AM
I've been one of those saying earlier this season that Casey will have to go before this team could get any better... I'm glad that he proved me wrong. Way to go!

I too am currently eating my words. Casey has done a great job lately. I am now a believer in this team.

djsunyc
01-03-2014, 12:27 PM
big picture - even with rudy and his unbelievably selfish ways, the team always played hard, played defense and rebounded the ball. they gave effort and those are very tough things to get out of players.

his worth as a coach will come in the postseason when everything is about matchups, game planning and then changing things if they are unsuccessful.

Jays Claw
01-03-2014, 01:57 PM
My problem with Casey at the beginning of the season was not having a tighter rotation, handing out inconsistent minutes to Ross and JVal, and overall not having the ability to pierce through opposing defenses with solid offensive play. It was a mess at the beginning of the season - especially the roster makeup. But I'm glad through the trade we've improved our roster and have given Casey some players he can work with. Props to Casey.

the life
01-03-2014, 05:11 PM
I like Casey as person and I was one of the few which did not throw stones at him during the Rudy era. I do believe he is a decent coach but I don't think he is championship material yet. But he has time to grow with the team as well. If GSW would have fired Mark Jackson few years back when he started as a head coach, and the team was mediocre at best, they might not be as good of a team today.

BTW as a side note it is strange that a player like David Lee which plays at top level for many years still does not have the trust of most basketball fans. It seems that most of the bb fans expect him to implode any moment.