PDA

View Full Version : Omer Asik to the wolves for Nikola Pekovic in a three team trade?

mbsalame123
01-02-2014, 04:14 PM
In case you haven't, there are rumors surfacing that the wolves might want a defense orientated center that is bigger and will man the middle/run in the offense better with Ricky Rubio. The perfect fit for them right now is Omer Asik and the rumor that has surfaced right now is Omer Asik to the Wolves for Nikola Pekovic and then Pekovic being sent off to a third team for draft picks and assets.

The third team being rumored to be involved can be the New Orleans Pelicans, Charlotte Bobcats, Brooklyn Nets, or Dallas Mavericks.

Here is the link to the rumor:

http://www.latinopost.com/articles/2700/20140102/nba-nba-trade-rumors-nba-trade-rumors-2014-houston-rockets-omer-asik-omer-asik-trade-minnesota-timberwolves-new-orleans-pelicans-charlotte-bobcats-brooklyn-nets.htm

What do you think? can you think of any trades going down between the rockets, wolves and either of the teams mentioned above?

IndyRealist
01-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Houston has to take back salary unless Pekovic ends up in Philly (who can absorb his salary completely). Also, Minnesota will have to get more salary as well, because Pek is just a tad bit overpaid.

mbsalame123
01-02-2014, 04:23 PM
I think this might be just another rumor like the bulls, rockets and hawks rumor that had lin along with brand and carrol to the bulls, luol deng and a draft pick to the rockets, and omer asik to the hawks.

But the teams mentioned as a third team seem to not have what the rockets might want unless the Pelicans were willing to give up Ryan Anderson for pekovic, in which case it would be a omer asik to the wolves, nikola pekovic to the pelicans, and ryan anderson to the rockets trade, but I doubt that happens.

The Mavericks sound intriguing, as they went after pekovic really hard over the summer but all I see them possibly giving up is Shawn Marion and a draft pick or maybe Jeremy Lin gets involved in this and they send Lin and Pekovic to the mavericks for Marion, Wright, Shane Larkin and a draft pick.

The bobcats are a possibility but what else can they give up besides a draft pick? The nets could be a real possibility here with Jeremy Lin possibly being involved in the trade for Deron Williams but other then that, I can't think of a deal with the nets.

Maybe the hawks and bulls get involved and it becomes an even bigger trade where:

Timberwolves receive: Omer Asik and Ronnie Brewer
Bulls receive: Jeremy Lin, Demarre Carrol, and Elton Brand
Hawks receive: Nikola Pekovic
Rockets receive: Luol Deng, draft pick and Jared Cunningham or ronny turiaf from the wolves

What do you think?

mbsalame123
01-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Houston has to take back salary unless Pekovic ends up in Philly (who can absorb his salary completely). Also, Minnesota will have to get more salary as well, because Pek is just a tad bit overpaid.

yeah the wolves would take back ronnie brewer probably or maybe an omri casspi because they do need help at the guard/small forward position because of the budinger injury.

Philly would be an intriguing possibility, the sixers were very active in the summer in trying to sign pekovic (them and mavericks gave the wolves the most competition). This is where I can see thaddeus young or Spencer Hawes heading to the Rockets along with a draft pick for Pekovic... but idk if the Sixers want to absorb his big contract.

mbsalame123
01-02-2014, 04:34 PM
I see the wolves giving up pekovic along with alexey shved for omer asik and someone else and then the third team possibly taking on jeremy lin along with pekovic.... ultimately I see the rockets wanting to package lin and asik in a deal for someone like Luol Deng or Deron Williams.

Denver-boy
01-02-2014, 04:34 PM
this title made me think a trade ACTUALLY went down.....

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 04:38 PM
I don't see how adding another offensively inept player in Asik to a lineup that already includes Rubio and Brewer is going to help the Wolves....

The only reason it makes sense for Minnesota is it allows them a reset after next season if Love leaves. They would have a ton coming off the books.

RipCity32
01-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Could have worded the title differently. I thought this went down or something.

KniCks4LiFe
01-02-2014, 04:43 PM
bad title

mbsalame123
01-02-2014, 04:45 PM
is there anyway to change the title? Sorry guys, I should've added a question mark

KniCks4LiFe
01-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Only way this deal makes sense is if KG is going to Minny. And Deron ends up in HOU. financially it'd work w/ Pek going to BRK, Lin going to BRK and Sved or Martin to BRK, while HOU gets D-Will and unloads Asik to Minny.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Only way I would believe this is if Kahn was still running things. Flip Saunders isn't that stupid, I'd take Pek over Asik any day. They're both overpaid but I like Peks hustle....

Red_Pill
01-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Pek is averaging 18 and 9 for the year (and that's after a very slow start), over the last 10+, he's averaging 21 and 10. He is one of the best offensive centers in the league, and he's getting better. If he can sustain 21 and 10, which I don't doubt, he's worth the 12 mil he's paid.

As for the deal, I don't like it, since I really like Pek, but we really need some defense. But our bench is the main concern, and this deal doesn't address that.

I also don't see us trading with Dallas, as they're direct competition for the last seed.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Pek is average 18 and 9 for the year (and that's after a very slow start), over the last 10+, he's averaging 21 and 10. He is one of the best offensive centers in the league, and he's getting better. If he can sustain 21 and 10, which I don't doubt, he's worth the 12 mil he's paid.

As for the deal, I don't like it, since I really like Pek, but we really need some defense. But our bench is the main concern, and this deal doesn't address that.

I also don't see us trading with Dallas, as they're direct competition for the last seed.

Asik isn't a shot blocker, but he is an excellent defender. But yep, I would rather keep Pek, and get a shot blocking hustle big that can be a rotation player off the bench. Oh wait, Dieng is 2nd in the game in block percentage, Adelman just won't play him...

Chronz
01-02-2014, 05:13 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, Asik+Love seems to be a better compliment stylistically but is the talent gap worth it?

If this happens then Morey has either loosened his stance on trading Asik, or he doesn't consider Minny to be a threat to them even with Asik.

Red_Pill
01-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Asik isn't a shot blocker, but he is an excellent defender. But yep, I would rather keep Pek, and get a shot blocking hustle big that can be a rotation player off the bench. Oh wait, Dieng is 2nd in the game in block percentage, Adelman just won't play him...

I feel the same. If someone is going to make us an offer for Pek, it's got to be better than just Asik. He's a solid player, but not worth giving up Pek over. Really hope this deal doesn't come to fruition.

Bruno
01-02-2014, 05:19 PM
I don't see how adding another offensively inept player in Asik to a lineup that already includes Rubio and Brewer is going to help the Wolves....

The only reason it makes sense for Minnesota is it allows them a reset after next season if Love leaves. They would have a ton coming off the books.
which is an interesting point because do you want to carry Peks contract if Love chooses to leave? thats a lot of money to pay a guy if the wolves go into rebuild mode should love not return.

the wolves would be smart to take this deal this time next year. by then they'll have a clearer image on Loves future with the team (at which point they can still trade him for value and not lose him for nothing) and Asiks contract would be an expiring as well. that way they don't have to pay Pek big money in a post-love era should it happen.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 05:19 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, Asik+Love seems to be a better compliment stylistically but is the talent gap worth it?

If this happens then Morey has either loosened his stance on trading Asik, or he doesn't consider Minny to be a threat to them even with Asik.

so much added stress to Love and Martin to score. Our bench is 28th in scoring, and we start Rubio and Brewer. Taking away Pek's 18 a night on high efficiency is not worth the bump on defense.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 05:20 PM
which is an interesting point because do you want to carry Peks contract if Love chooses to leave? thats a lot of money to pay a guy if the wolves go into rebuild mode should love not return.

true, but a 17/10 center who is 29 and relies on no athletic ability is easy to flip if we want to rebuild.

beasted86
01-02-2014, 05:24 PM
How about we change that "!" in the title to a "?" ?

Chronz
01-02-2014, 05:32 PM
so much added stress to Love and Martin to score. Our bench is 28th in scoring, and we start Rubio and Brewer. Taking away Pek's 18 a night on high efficiency is not worth the bump on defense.

Maybe but I can see why the question would exist considering your offense ranks higher than your defense overall.

You have to ask yourself if you think you can build a good defense around Pek+Love. Because unless you're fielding an elite offense, I dont see the point in keeping together a combination you know is coming up short in a huge area for contention, rim protection.
Best example I can give is the current combination we have with DJ and Blake. Technically, Pek is a better player but I love the compliment defensively between DJ+Blake so much that I would rather have DJ than a guy like Pek. I find defense to be more important come playoffs. Then again, DJ tends to go ghost come playoffs so its more of a potential thing for me.

It might not be the best for this current version of the Wolves, but perhaps they want to go with a different model altogether.

Chronz
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM

the wolves would be smart to take this deal this time next year. by then they'll have a clearer image on Loves future with the team (at which point they can still trade him for value and not lose him for nothing) and Asiks contract would be an expiring as well. that way they don't have to pay Pek big money in a post-love era should it happen.
They wont have trouble finding a taker for Pek just like they had no problem flipping Al Jefferson. When you are trading away productive bigs, its easy to find a taker so long as you have no problem getting back nothing but cap space. Even an idiot like Kahn can jettison his best player while making no kind of progress.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Maybe but I can see why the question would exist considering your offense ranks higher than your defense overall.

You have to ask yourself if you think you can build a good defense around Pek+Love. Because unless you're fielding an elite offense, I dont see the point in keeping together a combination you know is coming up short in a huge area for contention, rim protection.
Best example I can give is the current combination we have with DJ and Blake. Technically, Pek is a better player but I love the compliment defensively between DJ+Blake so much that I would rather have DJ than a guy like Pek. I find defense to be more important come playoffs.

It might not be the best for this current version of the Wolves, but perhaps they want to go with a different model altogether.

I agree completely, but Asik is not worth the talent gap for the bump in defense. Our offense would drop a lot more than our defense would rise with this swap.

The interesting thing, is that we have Dieng sitting on the bench, and he is a block machine. I think he will start getting some playing time next season, and could form a nice 3 man frontcourt rotation who provides us rim protection. He just was so raw coming out of college.

But I totally agree that if we are building around Love, it is highly preferred that we have a rim protector next to him.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 05:37 PM
btw, our offense is good because we pile drive teams at the line. Replacing Pek, a good FT shooter, wit Asik, hurts that badly. Our defense is decent because we force a bunch more turnovers than we commit, and never send teams to the line.

Chronz
01-02-2014, 05:39 PM
I agree completely, but Asik is not worth the talent gap for the bump in defense. Our offense would drop a lot more than our defense would rise with this swap.
That very well could be true but just how much of a difference do you think it would make. Unless its a substantial difference, you're better served being an improved defensive team as your chances for contention increase abit more when fielding a team that wins with defense.

The interesting thing, is that we have Dieng sitting on the bench, and he is a block machine. I think he will start getting some playing time next season, and could form a nice 3 man frontcourt rotation who provides us rim protection. He just was so raw coming out of college.
Shot blocking and rim protection are very different things tho. When you are fouling as much as he is, it takes some of that luster off of his shot block rate. Dieng is years away from making any kind of impact IMO.

Chronz
01-02-2014, 06:57 PM
btw, our offense is good because we pile drive teams at the line. Replacing Pek, a good FT shooter, wit Asik, hurts that badly. Our defense is decent because we force a bunch more turnovers than we commit, and never send teams to the line.

It does seem like the biggest advantage you guys have is that you force teams into dealing with either Love or Pek with inferior physical specimens. If they could just find a way to wall off the paint then this is a deal not even worth discussing. Its just that your defense is a mess, why are Rubio/Brewer not defending like they used to?
Will Love abandon chasing rebounds in favor of defensive positioning? Those are the keys if you intend on keeping the current model. That or Rubio lives up to the hype .....

Love and Pek are a bruising combo offensively thats for sure, but its a position where defense is of the utmost importance, thats what makes this a question worth having.

b@llhog24
01-02-2014, 07:10 PM
I'd love for this trade to happen.

Chronz
01-02-2014, 07:26 PM
I'd love for this trade to happen.

Yea but Minny prolly deserves more than what they are getting. Still, its tilting the franchise in a direction that most championship contenders seem to covet. I see this as a way for the T'Wolves to take 1 step back in order to take 2 forward, problem is, Love's contract doesn't really give them much of a window to make it happen.

spreadeagle
01-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Pek is killing for me in fantasy, he better stay put

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 08:04 PM
That very well could be true but just how much of a difference do you think it would make. Unless its a substantial difference, you're better served being an improved defensive team as your chances for contention increase abit more when fielding a team that wins with defense.

Shot blocking and rim protection are very different things tho. When you are fouling as much as he is, it takes some of that luster off of his shot block rate. Dieng is years away from making any kind of impact IMO.

remember Pek's rookie year foul rate haha?

Our scoring would depend on 2 players with a Asik for Pek swap. Too much pressure on Love/Martin. The talent gap is just too much with this trade.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
It does seem like the biggest advantage you guys have is that you force teams into dealing with either Love or Pek with inferior physical specimens. If they could just find a way to wall off the paint then this is a deal not even worth discussing. Its just that your defense is a mess, why are Rubio/Brewer not defending like they used to?
Will Love abandon chasing rebounds in favor of defensive positioning? Those are the keys if you intend on keeping the current model. That or Rubio lives up to the hype .....

Love and Pek are a bruising combo offensively thats for sure, but its a position where defense is of the utmost importance, thats what makes this a question worth having.

Brewer has always been an overrated defender. Rubio is a good defender, but he isn't super quick, so teams with fast guards live in the paint, which we have no answer for.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2014, 09:42 PM
If the Wolves make any moves I think it will be to shore up their bench. Their starting 5 is adequate to compete. I'm shocked they havent been scouring the waiver wire or D league. The Stephen Jackson's, Rip Hamiltons and Maggettes of the world would be a upgrade over what they're playing.....

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 10:46 PM
If the Wolves make any moves I think it will be to shore up their bench. Their starting 5 is adequate to compete. I'm shocked they havent been scouring the waiver wire or D league. The Stephen Jackson's, Rip Hamiltons and Maggettes of the world would be a upgrade over what they're playing.....

so would Budinger and Turiaf haha. They will be back soon, but yeah, I get exactly what you are saying. There are some guys out there that can help.

b@llhog24
01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Yea but Minny prolly deserves more than what they are getting. Still, its tilting the franchise in a direction that most championship contenders seem to covet. I see this as a way for the T'Wolves to take 1 step back in order to take 2 forward, problem is, Love's contract doesn't really give them much of a window to make it happen.

Well was referring more so to the Rockets side. Houston is one of my more favored teams. From the TWolves side I think it's a lateral move at best in terms of value but I'm in agreement with you that Asik would be a better fit next to Love than Pek anyways. It's not like Love is dependent on any one soul to get his on that that Timberwolves teams so everyone would be expendable in my eyes if I feel as if we could make the team better.

John Walls Era
01-02-2014, 11:57 PM
I thought David Kahn was fired... this is a terrible trade for the Wolves. Do they want Love to leave?

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Well was referring more so to the Rockets side. Houston is one of my more favored teams. From the TWolves side I think it's a lateral move at best in terms of value but I'm in agreement with you that Asik would be a better fit next to Love than Pek anyways. It's not like Love is dependent on any one soul to get his on that that Timberwolves teams so everyone would be expendable in my eyes if I feel as if we could make the team better.

well, I need to look at it from the Wolves perspective. The talent gap between the 2 is too much for me. Pek is much better as a basketball player, even if Asik offers a better defensive pairing.

Like I said, where the **** are we getting scoring from if Love and Martin don't go nova each and every night? It's not as if Asik automatically makes a team a top 5 defensive team.

Kushed
01-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Absolutely not. I'll take Pek over Asik all day long.

Chronz
01-03-2014, 12:59 AM

The Rockets getting picks would be nice but as a fan of theirs, I dont see anything exciting about nameless picks.

Chronz
01-03-2014, 01:00 AM
well, I need to look at it from the Wolves perspective. The talent gap between the 2 is too much for me. Pek is much better as a basketball player, even if Asik offers a better defensive pairing.

Like I said, where the **** are we getting scoring from if Love and Martin don't go nova each and every night? It's not as if Asik automatically makes a team a top 5 defensive team.

I actually think Asik could make them a top 5ish defensive team. But yea, how far would their offense fall.

Kia Kaha
01-03-2014, 01:19 AM
no thanks, asik would make three terrible scorers on the starting unit with a bench that can not score a lick. If Adelman wants a shot blocker, he sits on his bench every night (dieng).

Would be irate if this happened.

Kyben36
01-03-2014, 01:47 AM
honestly dont see an upgrade in Pekovic vs Asik, i understand the defesnive aspect, but still I like pekovic more than asik, love asik too, but dont see it making them that much better.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2014, 03:49 AM
I actually think Asik could make them a top 5ish defensive team. But yea, how far would their offense fall.

off a cliff imo.

AddiX
01-03-2014, 04:17 AM
This trade makes no sense, don't see it happening one bit.

IndyRealist
01-03-2014, 11:29 AM
Pek is averaging 18 and 9 for the year (and that's after a very slow start), over the last 10+, he's averaging 21 and 10. He is one of the best offensive centers in the league, and he's getting better. If he can sustain 21 and 10, which I don't doubt, he's worth the 12 mil he's paid.

He's slightly above average on 2pt FG%, and slightly below average on rebounding. He plays a lot of minutes, so his per game averages look huge. He was also better the year before, and I don't like to see any player on a long contract with a downward trend (even though it's probably a small fluctuation). His numbers are probably down due to the rash of injuries on the Wolves, but you can't KNOW that. Overall he's still an above average player, but not a $12M player.

In any sane marketplace, teams would be really, really conservative trading for Pekovic.

KnicksorBust
01-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Thought Asik-Love would be a great fit. The idea that the Wolves wouldn't be able to find enough scoring seems so short-sighted.

Chronz
01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Thought Asik-Love would be a great fit. The idea that the Wolves wouldn't be able to find enough scoring seems so short-sighted.
With the kind of contract Love has, its kind of hard to be optimistic for the future tho. They have to go all in right now, and Asik is a talent downgrade from Pek. I would still think long and hard about this trade tho

KnicksorBust
01-03-2014, 02:03 PM
With the kind of contract Love has, its kind of hard to be optimistic for the future tho. They have to go all in right now, and Asik is a talent downgrade from Pek. I would still think long and hard about this trade tho

He doesn't seem like the type of player to run from a challenge... I'm not saying he's Tim Duncan or Kevin Durant but in fairness those players didn't have to wait around too long before their teams were competitive.

MonroeFAN
01-03-2014, 02:05 PM
What on earth was Minnesota thinking when they handed Pek that contract? Heavy statistics in Minnesota are not indicative of being a good player.

waveycrockett
01-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Asik is a better all around player imo.

Chronz
01-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Does anyone know how good Minny's transition defense is? Love and Pek dominate teams on the offensive glass, but if thats a product of them relentlessly crashing the glass instead of selectively picking their spots, transition balance could be suffering. I dont see the point in having 2 dominant offensive rebounders if thats the case.

Pop use to make sure only 1 of Duncan or D-Rob pursued offensive rebounds, to the point where they practically alternated from year to year on who led them in that category.

VikesTwinsWolve
01-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Bring in asik and keep pek. Peks not going anywhere.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2014, 04:35 PM
He's slightly above average on 2pt FG%, and slightly below average on rebounding. He plays a lot of minutes, so his per game averages look huge. He was also better the year before, and I don't like to see any player on a long contract with a downward trend (even though it's probably a small fluctuation). His numbers are probably down due to the rash of injuries on the Wolves, but you can't KNOW that. Overall he's still an above average player, but not a $12M player.

In any sane marketplace, teams would be really, really conservative trading for Pekovic.

remember too, his numbers were up because Love missed essentially all of last year. He was our go to player last season.

$12 million might seem high, but take a gander around the league at what centers get paid. A 18/10 center is making near max money at age 28, period.

Hawkeye15
01-03-2014, 04:37 PM

When you have your star player's contract running out after next season, its all about short sighted dude. The ONLY reason I would even entertain this trade idea is that if Love leaves, you now have $27 million coming off the books that summer. If that ****ing idiot Kahn had signed Love to the 5 year deal, I would actually think about doing this trade to balance out the roster. We could pick up scoring this next offseason, and would have an additional 2 years to figure it out.

KnicksorBust
01-03-2014, 05:02 PM
When you have your star player's contract running out after next season, its all about short sighted dude. The ONLY reason I would even entertain this trade idea is that if Love leaves, you now have $27 million coming off the books that summer. If that ****ing idiot Kahn had signed Love to the 5 year deal, I would actually think about doing this trade to balance out the roster. We could pick up scoring this next offseason, and would have an additional 2 years to figure it out.

Do you believe Love is leaving? Would you even consider trading him?

Hawkeye15
01-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Do you believe Love is leaving? Would you even consider trading him?

If we miss the playoffs this year, and start out next season 15-20 or something to that degree, you have to consider it by the deadline.

Love WILL opt out. Even if he plans on staying. Financially he needs to. He owns a home in LA. His serious girlfriend lives in LA. The Lakers have money next summer. It's a reality. If we can't give him the help he needs to make the playoffs (which he does have now I think, we are better than our record), why would he stay?

Tony_Starks
01-03-2014, 06:30 PM
If we miss the playoffs this year, and start out next season 15-20 or something to that degree, you have to consider it by the deadline.

Love WILL opt out. Even if he plans on staying. Financially he needs to. He owns a home in LA. His serious girlfriend lives in LA. The Lakers have money next summer. It's a reality. If we can't give him the help he needs to make the playoffs (which he does have now I think, we are better than our record), why would he stay?

I feel the same way but I needed a non-Laker fan to say it first. But he's a UCLA kid and obviously loves it out here. He doesn't seem very endeared to Minny. Winning would change all that but unfortunately I don't see that happening for them anytime soon.

I think this summer will really be what it's all about. The Wolves have to pull off one of those "we're going all out to win now" trades. Asik ain't gonna cut it.

Kushed
01-03-2014, 07:20 PM
I feel the same way but I needed a non-Laker fan to say it first. But he's a UCLA kid and obviously loves it out here. He doesn't seem very endeared to Minny. Winning would change all that but unfortunately I don't see that happening for them anytime soon.

I think this summer will really be what it's all about. The Wolves have to pull off one of those "we're going all out to win now" trades. Asik ain't gonna cut it.

The idea would be to shed some cap and improve the defense. Add some more key bench guys in the offseason and maybe we are set? Personally, I am not a fan of the trade. Pek is so good, people don't realize it.

reemy
01-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Source is from a clutch fan forum based on an article during the free agent period last year, close thread.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=242863
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/19135/20130805/houston-rockets-rumors-nikola-pekovic-trade-omer-asik-option-timberwolves.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

Hawkeye15
01-03-2014, 08:45 PM

it's just ridiculous. We are better than our record. When you factor in point differential, and our offensive/defensive ranks, statistically we are a 20-12 team. But, we are 0-8 in games decided by 4 points or less, and need to find a way to win close games. I still think this team ends up over .500, barring any big injuries. But is it enough to be 44-38, and miss the playoffs?

Clock is ticking. I ****ing hate David Kahn.

DitchDat
01-06-2014, 07:31 AM
Pek's contract isn't even 5 months old. Weird that's he's involved.