PDA

View Full Version : Why not Bynum to the Heat? Couldn;t they whip him into shape?

episodenone
01-02-2014, 01:17 PM
And then raddle off 3 more rings.

It's a team friendly contract -- and it doesn't appear Oden was the answer.

I am not a Heat fan - but it seems like it would make sense to find a way to make it happen -- and then have the 3 keep him under control.

Just thinking out loud.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-02-2014, 01:19 PM
He would sleep with LeBron's mom

KniCks4LiFe
01-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I was thinking more, he would sleep w/ Spolstra's girl.

smiddy012
01-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Quite possibly the best post I have ever seen on PSD.

/thread

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-02-2014, 01:25 PM

/thread

But seriously he would never keep up with Miami's offense. Dude moves like he has cement in his shoes.

IKnowHoops
01-02-2014, 02:22 PM
But seriously he would never keep up with Miami's offense. Dude moves like he has cement in his shoes.

True, and he wouldn't get that much burn, but when they play the pacers he would make that series a lot easier for the heat. He would and could probably outplay Roy Hibbert half the time. Thats all they need him for. Bulls, Pacers, Spurs, are the only teams he would really help them with. But Im sure playing with Lebron, dude would get a lot of wide open dunks.

nickdymez
01-02-2014, 02:41 PM
When Bynum is all there, he is the best center skill wise in the league. Thats when he's all there.

BKLYNpigeon
01-02-2014, 02:43 PM
If it aint broke why fix it?

Fnom11
01-02-2014, 02:45 PM
I feel like so many people are sleeping on Oden. It's clear the Heat lack size yet for some reason their front office doesn't seemed concerned in the slightest about it, that's a VERY good sign for Oden in my opinion.

shep33
01-02-2014, 02:45 PM
He is so slow and doesn't hedge on ball screens. You can make the argument that he would make the defense worse and offense less dynamic

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-02-2014, 02:49 PM
I feel like so many people are sleeping on Oden. It's clear the Heat lack size yet for some reason their front office doesn't seemed concerned in the slightest about it, that's a VERY good sign for Oden in my opinion.

sleeping on him?

He hasnt played 5 years...and he still isnt playing

Will he ever play again lol

IKnowHoops
01-02-2014, 02:51 PM
If it aint broke why fix it?

Because its very very very close to breaking. Do you weight for your engine to break before you change your oil?

IKnowHoops
01-02-2014, 02:52 PM

Agree with this too. But it would be funny for the Heat to have to available 7 footer of the playoffs. Could turn the playoffs into a straight Joke.

IKnowHoops
01-02-2014, 02:53 PM
He is so slow and doesn't hedge on ball screens. You can make the argument that he would make the defense worse and offense less dynamic

You put him in depending on the lineup your facing. They can't have Roy Hibbert scoring easily every time he touches the rock.

IKnowHoops
01-02-2014, 02:55 PM
sleeping on him?

I believe they are going to pull him out against the bulls or pacers in the playoffs, just to stop Hibbert or body Noah.

Fnom11
01-02-2014, 03:06 PM
sleeping on him?

So either the Heat are confident they don't need a big man to win again, which is great news, or Oden is progressing very well and the organization has faith in him. Either way I'm okay with this.

episodenone
01-02-2014, 03:08 PM
True, and he wouldn't get that much burn, but when they play the pacers he would make that series a lot easier for the heat. He would and could probably outplay Roy Hibbert half the time. Thats all they need him for. Bulls, Pacers, Spurs, are the only teams he would really help them with. But Im sure playing with Lebron, dude would get a lot of wide open dunks.

This is what I am thinking

John Walls Era
01-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Hes dead weight.

nickdymez
01-02-2014, 03:17 PM
I believe they are going to pull him out against the bulls or pacers in the playoffs, just to stop Hibbert or body Noah.

What? So a man that hasnt played in 5 years is just gonna step in and STOP Roy Hibbert in the playoffs?

shep33
01-02-2014, 03:18 PM
You put him in depending on the lineup your facing. They can't have Roy Hibbert scoring easily every time he touches the rock.

Yeah, but then chemistry becomes an issue. You can't just throw someone in there for significant minutes and not have an ill-effect on the team.

You can also say that because you put in Bynum, the pace of the game will then suit the Pacers more.

Fnom11
01-02-2014, 03:29 PM
What? So a man that hasnt played in 5 years is just gonna step in and STOP Roy Hibbert in the playoffs?

You realize Roy isn't that hard to stop? He's really not even a offensive threat. It's literally his defense that's a counter to the Heat and with a big body in the paint with good hands he can be nearly fully negated. All they would have to do is when Roy steps up is lob it to Oden/Bynum and they'd get an easy dunk or FTs.

Not saying it would be this easy btw, I can't say I know how to break a professional NBA teams defense down but it seems like having that option would be huge for them.

RLundi
01-02-2014, 03:42 PM

/thread

You need to get out more.

RLundi
01-02-2014, 03:45 PM
You realize Roy isn't that hard to stop? He's really not even a offensive threat. It's literally his defense that's a counter to the Heat and with a big body in the paint with good hands he can be nearly fully negated. All they would have to do is when Roy steps up is lob it to Oden/Bynum and they'd get an easy dunk or FTs.

Not saying it would be this easy btw, I can't say I know how to break a professional NBA teams defense down but it seems like having that option would be huge for them.

1. What?? Lol you cannot be serious.

2. No kidding.

Yanks All Day
01-02-2014, 03:55 PM
The Heat have Greg Oden for 1 or 2 playoff series and that's about it. They know they can sleepwalk through the season and be the 2 seed at worst. In a 7 game series, they would need Oden to play 15-20 minutes per game against San Antonio and Indiana. Oden wasn't a regular season signing at all, which is why he hasn't played. Miami's won 2 straight without him, and can win a 3rd even without Oden, but he provides a big boost out there if he goes against Hibbert. The Heat are probably keeping him in bubble wrap somewhere to get a handful of good games out of him when they need him most.

I'm sure they could do the exact same thing with Bynum. If he is eventually waived, which I suspect he will be, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bynum goes to Miami. Even though I'd put the odds only at about 10%, can you imagine a Heat team with a healthy Bynum in the middle for 20 minutes a game and Oden for another 20? Even Indiana wouldn't take them to a game 7.

Fnom11
01-02-2014, 04:26 PM
1. What?? Lol you cannot be serious.

2. No kidding.

Can you elaborate how 1. wouldn't work? The only problems the Heat have on offense is when opposing teams have strong defensive help side bigs IE Noah, Hibbert, Duncan. Wade/Bron get contained on their drives limiting their offense. When Chris Anderson hopped on the Heat you can instantly how they got a big lift offensively they got in the paint because they have a big who can score the ball when their man leaves. I feel like Oden and Bynum can open a lot of lanes for Wade and Bron because they demand a big man defending them.

Oden and Bynum are also strong rebounders which everyone knows the Heat lacks.

SteBO
01-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Yeah, but then chemistry becomes an issue. You can't just throw someone in there for significant minutes and not have an ill-effect on the team.

You can also say that because you put in Bynum, the pace of the game will then suit the Pacers more.
This is why I don't want Bynum. It's about more than just his loser mentality; it's about how it affects the way Miami plays basketball. If you try and match what the opposition does, you've already lost the battle. Especially against a team like Indiana whose offensive and defensive schemes revolve heavily around their bigs, mainly Hibbert.

shep33
01-02-2014, 04:41 PM
This is why I don't want Bynum. It's about more than just his loser mentality; it's about how it affects the way Miami plays basketball. If you try and match what the opposition does, you've already lost the battle. Especially against a team like Indiana whose offensive and defensive schemes revolve heavily around their bigs, mainly Hibbert.

Exactly. Let Miami play to their strengths. Speed on defense and floor spacing

TylerSL
01-02-2014, 05:18 PM
The Heat would have to release somebody to make room for Bynum on the roster. While Bynum may provide the Heat much needed size to combat Indiana I do not believe the Heat should make a move for Bynum. He would just be another project like Beasley and Oden. We can all say the Beasley project was a success and the Oden project is still a work in progress. We should continue to rehabilitate Oden and hope he can make a return and if not then we'll just have to beat Indiana in the same way we did last year.

We are only in early January, we are just over 2 months into the season so just because we have not seen Oden step on the court yet this season does not mean this experiment has failed. As of last week, Oden has been increasing his pre game workouts and is feeling no pain. Maybe now Oden's rehabilitation is getting into game shape without having any knee setbacks rather than just rehabilitating the knee(s) itself. Since the Heat signed Oden I felt we would not see him until after the All Star break, and I only expected 10-15 regular season games from him plus a postseason run. If by March or April we still have yet to see Oden on the court then I would agree that the experiment did not work out.

What Miami needs and will do is continue to rehabilitate Oden and hope he works out. If not, so be it, we still won back to back titles with 3 straight finals appearances without him. No need for the Heat to make a roster cut just to bring in another project in Bynum.

beasted86
01-02-2014, 05:33 PM

I agree, but that's why the HEAT would have to limit his minutes. He would get no more than 24 minutes a game, and would basically be a way better Udonis Haslem. Haslem suffers from all those problems you talk about and it shows in his floor time stats. He's the only guy on the team that is way negative in +/-. The difference is Bynum won't get blocked nearly as much as Haslem does, and can rebound and block shots better.

beasted86
01-02-2014, 05:37 PM
The Heat would have to release somebody to make room for Bynum on the roster. While Bynum may provide the Heat much needed size to combat Indiana I do not believe the Heat should make a move for Bynum. He would just be another project like Beasley and Oden. We can all say the Beasley project was a success and the Oden project is still a work in progress. We should continue to rehabilitate Oden and hope he can make a return and if not then we'll just have to beat Indiana in the same way we did last year.

We are only in early January, we are just over 2 months into the season so just because we have not seen Oden step on the court yet this season does not mean this experiment has failed. As of last week, Oden has been increasing his pre game workouts and is feeling no pain. Maybe now Oden's rehabilitation is getting into game shape without having any knee setbacks rather than just rehabilitating the knee(s) itself. Since the Heat signed Oden I felt we would not see him until after the All Star break, and I only expected 10-15 regular season games from him plus a postseason run. If by March or April we still have yet to see Oden on the court then I would agree that the experiment did not work out.

What Miami needs and will do is continue to rehabilitate Oden and hope he works out. If not, so be it, we still won back to back titles with 3 straight finals appearances without him. No need for the Heat to make a roster cut just to bring in another project in Bynum.

I kind of agree, but at the same time any way possible to improve the roster you have to explore it. I feel Riley should be finding a way to get rid of Joel Anthony regardless before the trade deadline. If he can find a way to dump him and bring on Bynum, that would be ideal.

At the end of the day, if we don't end up signing Bynum I will be perfectly okay as a fan, because I do think Oden deserves a fair shot.

SportsFanatic10
01-02-2014, 05:38 PM
i'm a little torn on the bynum possibility. the heat have been desperately searching for a quality center for years, but at this point they have built such a strong team identity that it could be bad to change. bynum is such a risky option because he doesn't seem to have a good work ethic, doesn't seem to love the game, has caused problems in the locker room, and is a shell of the player he used to be with his knee problems. also he has already won 2 rings so he doesn't even have that for motivation. i think it wouldn't be fair to oden, someone who won't have a problem with limited minutes, is hungry to play in the worst way, and working his butt off to get on the court. oden has been intensifying his workouts lately reports say, and wants to play soon but the heat staff are just waiting a bit longer because they want him to continue to gain a little more strength in his legs first. its hard to count on oden for sure, but at this point the very same can be said for bynum. but bynum's potential on this team in certain matchups is hard to ignore, and if he could be had for the vet min someone with the cavs cutting him then it'd be hard to be unhappy if pat made it happen. either way it's an interesting situation.

SportsFanatic10
01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
I kind of agree, but at the same time any way possible to improve the roster you have to explore it. I feel Riley should be finding a way to get rid of Joel Anthony regardless before the trade deadline. If he can find a way to dump him and bring on Bynum, that would be ideal.

At the end of the day, if we don't end up signing Bynum I will be perfectly okay as a fan, because I do think Oden deserves a fair shot.

ya i don't see clearing a roster spot as a problem either. roger mason jr could easily be cut, i don't even think his small contract is fully guaranteed yet. although with wade needing rest another guard couldn't hurt, but james jones is capable of more minutes if need be.

SportsFanatic10
01-02-2014, 05:42 PM
You need to get out more.

lol i thought the same thing when i saw that post, that wasn't anything special it was a tired joke that made itself...too easy.

showtym24
01-02-2014, 05:53 PM

And he'd likely fail.

beasted86
01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
And he'd likely fail.

Fail more than Haslem and Joel Anthony?

Because those are the alternatives. Bosh and Andersen will eat up most the minutes, but if either of them are in foul trouble, Haslem and Anthony are the fallback options, which plain suck.

Chrisclover
01-03-2014, 02:17 AM
Thats for a better future, man. Just imagine how talented that child will be .maybe he will be the one who challenge the dominance of LBJ. A mixture of Bynum and LBJ, WOW

shep33
01-03-2014, 03:11 AM
I agree, but that's why the HEAT would have to limit his minutes. He would get no more than 24 minutes a game, and would basically be a way better Udonis Haslem. Haslem suffers from all those problems you talk about and it shows in his floor time stats. He's the only guy on the team that is way negative in +/-. The difference is Bynum won't get blocked nearly as much as Haslem does, and can rebound and block shots better.

Yeah, but as I mentioned before, you have to wonder about pace. By placing Bynum into the rotation you've adapted to Indiana's style of play.

To me, I always think its a bad idea to adapt to potential opponents. The game slows down, and I think that favors Indiana. I just think you shouldn't fix what isn't broken. Small ball, perimeter shooting to space the floor for Bron and Wade, plus that lightning quick defense with Bosh at the 5... I mean it's won 2 titles for the Heat, changing the gameplan can come back to bite them in the ***.