PDA

View Full Version : It is now 2014 and only three teams in the East are over .500

JasonJohnHorn
01-01-2014, 11:49 AM
At the beginning of December I posted a thread about the East being weak. Part of me thought that there was a 'perfect storm' of injuries and coaching adjustments and player-chemistry issues that would be correct during the month of December.

I was wrong.

We are now entering the 10th week of the season, and there are still only 3 teams over .500 in the east, and one of those teams (the Atlanta Hawk) just lost their franchise player (Al Horford) for the season. I do not expect them to maintain their high level of play.

Miami and Indy are the only teams over .500 and the Central Division looks like it may be won by a team that is under .500 (go Raptors!)

In the West there are 8 teams over .500 with a four more teams (T-Wolves, Denver, The Pelicans and the Grizz) that are all likely to finish at .500 or better.

I thought this would even out by the time the new year rolled around, but the East seems to be historically awful, despite having the two best teams in the league (my opinion obviously).

So what are the causes? Is it just bad coaching (Cheeks, Brown, Kidd and Wittman), injuries (NY, BK, CHI, PHI), player decline/lack of chemistry (BK, CHA, CLV), or just teams actually trying to do bad (I won't guess who is intentionally tanking and by 'team' I mean the management, not the players).

What are your thoughts? Is there any one factor here? Or is it a perfect storm?

Abdul Mutalib
01-01-2014, 12:26 PM
i think every1 is playing to their expectations w/ the exception of the nets and knicks, and bulls which most believed to be seeds 3-5 in the east under indy and miami. leaving the 6-8 to atl/cha/det/tor/was.

Knicks are just straight trash, their def. is atrocious and they just don't have the right mix of players but somthin is off about them. I can't really speak about nets b/c i havent watched them play yet but my guess would be coaching. J kidd wasn't the right choice for a team with a small window of opportunity to win (garnett/pierce) and should have put in some work as an assistant coach to the learn the ropes. Bulls just have injuries

kingkenny01
01-01-2014, 12:32 PM
the east may suck, the west is ridiculous the 8th seed may have around 50 wins, right now dallas is 8th projected for 48 wins

Dade County
01-01-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't think anything is going to change when it comes to the east... The bottom feeders are very happy where they are (front office management).

But it's bigger then just this year draft, these Gm's know that the HEAT are own a run, so it's just better to wait it out and get high lottery pics instead of being stuck in the middle.

For the West, I see them making trades snatching up Eastern Conference players left and right. The West playoffs will be epic this year; the East postseason will be scripted drama (and the fans will believe every second of it), and the HEAT will move on to the Finals.

todu82
01-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Still think Toronto gets over .500 and because of the schedule you'll see a couple more East teams get above .500.

Ill21
01-01-2014, 01:19 PM
We get it, the east sucks.

JasonJohnHorn
01-01-2014, 03:19 PM
We get it, the east sucks.

The post isn't about IF the east sucks, but WHY.

Wade#Heat
01-01-2014, 03:26 PM
As bad as Brooklyn has been, they're only 3 games back of the 8th spot.. Knicks 4.. The Bucks, 6 games and they are the worst team in the league lololol.

shep33
01-01-2014, 03:31 PM
The post isn't about IF the east sucks, but WHY.

The west has significantly more talent

KnicksorBust
01-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Injuries.

Chicago could have been a 50 win team if Derrick Rose and Luol Deng didn't get injured.
Brooklyn could have been a 50 win team if Deron Williams - Brook Lopez didn't get injured.
NY could have been a 50 win team if Tyson Chandler - Carmelo Anthony didn't get injured.
ATL could have been a 50 win team if Al Horford didn't get injured.
Hell who knows Boston might have been a solid playoff team if Rondo was healthy going into the season.

Then suddenly you're looking at an Eastern Conference that is 7 deep with two young teams (Washington/Toronto) fighting for the 8th spot at around .500.

5ass
01-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Injuries

NYSpirit1
01-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Honestly, I'm pretty shocked over what's transpired in Brooklyn and New York.

Chicago, at 12-18, was doomed when Rose went down again.

But Brooklyn and New York are two very talented teams, on paper I guess. Bargnani, JR Smith, Joe Johnson, Garnett, Pierce, Stoudemire - these are all talented guys that have done it before.

Some are old, some are injured, whatever.

But I think it comes down to very poor chemistry and very poor coaching. Both teams have gotten into terrible defensive habits and they're like sinking ships. It's kind of ridiculous. No way to explain it. Only that Brooklyn won 49 games last year and New York won 54 games and both teams should have been better than last year.

Even without Brook Lopez - Deron, Joe Johnson, Garnett and Pierce should be a 50 win team. But whatever, the whole thing is so bizarre and such a train wreck that it brings down the entire East as a whole because these were 2 teams that were supposed to be 50 win contenders.

In the Knicks case, they're like 1-7 or so in games decided by 3 or less. That's terrible coaching and execution. If they were savvy down the stretch, they'd be at .500 at least.

In the end, Jason Kidd moving as a player on the Knicks to a coach on the Nets may be one of the top 5 stories of the 2013-2014 season. It ultimately sunk both teams like a ship. Kidd was an integral veteran to the Knick locker room and he's been a terrible coach on the Nets. Had he stayed put and not retired, just off of chemistry alone I think the Knicks would have 7 or 8 more wins. The Nets probably would too with a veteran coach.

xxplayerxx23
01-01-2014, 03:59 PM
The west has significantly more talent

Injuries also hurt the east

shep33
01-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Injuries also hurt the east

True, but the west has had some pretty bad injuries itself.

Kobe, Westbrook, Nash, Gasol, Gallo, Faried, Redick, even Anthony Davis missed a long while.

A fully healthy Lakers, Nuggets, or Grizz team are playoff caliber teams themselves.

Bottom-line, the West just has way more talent. You can make the argument that the West has the top 4 point guards in the NBA (Cp3, Parker, Westbrook, Curry), two of the top 3 SG's in the league (Harden and Kobe), the top 4 PF's in the NBA (Love, Blake, AD, and LMA), and the top 4 bigs in the NBA (D12, Gasol, Timmy, Cousins)

I haven't even mentioned guys like Dirk, Iggy, Zbo, Lawson, David Lee, Jrue Holiday, DeAndre Jordan, Chandler Parsons, Ibaka, Lillard, Bledsoe, Dragic, Monta, Pekovic, Kevin Martin, Mike Conley, Derrick Favors, Kawai Leonard, and Manu etc.

There is just way more talent out west from top to bottom.

Hawkeye15
01-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Injuries have made the easily weaker conference appear utterly pathetic. The east has been worse for over 2 decades. It probably will be for 2 more. The better GM's are out west. Until that shifts, expect the disparity to continue.

It is bittersweet that the weaker conference has 2 straight championships haha.

Hawkeye15
01-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Honestly, I'm pretty shocked over what's transpired in Brooklyn and New York.

Chicago, at 12-18, was doomed when Rose went down again.

But Brooklyn and New York are two very talented teams, on paper I guess. Bargnani, JR Smith, Joe Johnson, Garnett, Pierce, Stoudemire - these are all talented guys that have done it before.

Some are old, some are injured, whatever.

But I think it comes down to very poor chemistry and very poor coaching. Both teams have gotten into terrible defensive habits and they're like sinking ships. It's kind of ridiculous. No way to explain it. Only that Brooklyn won 49 games last year and New York won 54 games and both teams should have been better than last year.

Even without Brook Lopez - Deron, Joe Johnson, Garnett and Pierce should be a 50 win team. But whatever, the whole thing is so bizarre and such a train wreck that it brings down the entire East as a whole because these were 2 teams that were supposed to be 50 win contenders.

In the Knicks case, they're like 1-7 or so in games decided by 3 or less. That's terrible coaching and execution. If they were savvy down the stretch, they'd be at .500 at least.

In the end, Jason Kidd moving as a player on the Knicks to a coach on the Nets may be one of the top 5 stories of the 2013-2014 season. It ultimately sunk both teams like a ship. Kidd was an integral veteran to the Knick locker room and he's been a terrible coach on the Nets. Had he stayed put and not retired, just off of chemistry alone I think the Knicks would have 7 or 8 more wins. The Nets probably would too with a veteran coach.

I feel your pain. My Wolves are 0-8 in games decided by 4 or less. Ridiculous.

Tony_Starks
01-01-2014, 08:23 PM
The eastern conference has been horrible for years. It's basically a bye to the ECF for any decent team...

KnicksorBust
01-01-2014, 08:41 PM
This difference in the conferences is greatly overrated every year. This year injuries ravaged the East from having 5-6 competitive teams. If you want to sit there and compare 8 seeds then you need to get out more because no 8 seed will ever win a title. And yes that's coming from a Knicks fan.

John Walls Era
01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
It'll even out and then maybe only 2 teams won't have winning records in the east playoffs...

Hawkeye15
01-01-2014, 09:11 PM
This difference in the conferences is greatly overrated every year. This year injuries ravaged the East from having 5-6 competitive teams. If you want to sit there and compare 8 seeds then you need to get out more because no 8 seed will ever win a title. And yes that's coming from a Knicks fan.

its not about the 8th seed. Its the mere fact that if you swap one for one (outside Miami or Indy), ANY team in the east with a top 8-9 team in the west, that west team is going to win a ton more games feasting on that weak *** competition. Teams 3-12 are so much stronger out west, its a complete and utter joke. This year, worse than most due to injuries, but it has been that way for 2 decades.

GSRaider
01-01-2014, 09:25 PM
the 16 teams with the best records at the end of the season should be playing in the playoffs... im not a big fan of the conferences...

Chronz
01-01-2014, 10:11 PM
If you want to sit there and compare 8 seeds then you need to get out more because no 8 seed will ever win a title.
Its not about chips, its about potential for upsets. Eastern contenders dont really have to sweat it until the ECF, whereas if they were out West, it would be a helluva gauntlet which = better basketball imo

Hawkeye15
01-01-2014, 10:20 PM
Its not about chips, its about potential for upsets. Eastern contenders dont really have to sweat it until the ECF, whereas if they were out West, it would be a helluva gauntlet which = better basketball imo

furthermore, lets take our 2 teams. Lets swap the Clips with the Hawks. Clips now win what, 58 games? Lets swap the Wolves with the Wizards. The Wolves now win what, 50 games?

KnicksorBust
01-01-2014, 11:21 PM
If you want to sit there and compare 8 seeds then you need to get out more because no 8 seed will ever win a title.

Sometimes there is added value in being battle tested.

JerseyPalahniuk
01-02-2014, 01:10 AM
1. Injuries [BKN, NYK, and CHI should all be > 0.500]. Toronto is at .500 now with the Pacers win tonight. They've gone 9-3 since the Gay trade. Washington is 1 game below. That's 8 right there.

2. Lack of talent. Let's take the top 30 players in the league. My opinion, not in order.

[Durant, Westbrook, Paul, George, Lebron, Wade, Love, Bosh, Curry, Dirk, Lillard, Aldridge, Ibaka, Carmelo, Horford, Harden, Howard, Hibbert, Kyrie, Kobe, Lopez, Rondo, Rose, Rubio, Wall, Davis, Randolph, Conley, Gasol, Cousins, Smith]

I count 12 players from the East, 4 of which are out or haven't played yet (Horford, Lopez, Rondo, Rose).

Perhaps, I forgot a few players from the East. Let's use last year's All-NBA teams. 15 players and only 4 from the East. http://www.nba.com/2013/news/05/23/lebron-leads-first-team-all-nba/.

Hawkeye15
01-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Sometimes there is added value in being battle tested.

so ignoring that every playoff series out west usually becomes a competition, versus the first couple rounds out east being a formality ignores how weak one conference is compared to the other?

Furthermore, there are 3-4 teams out west that would be considered on the same level of Miami, Indy, SA, and OKC if they just happened to feast on eastern competition.

Tony_Starks
01-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Either the Nets or the Knicks may very well still make the playoffs this year. That pretty much says it all about the Leastern conference...

dalton749
01-02-2014, 02:41 PM
1. Injuries [BKN, NYK, and CHI should all be > 0.500]. Toronto is at .500 now with the Pacers win tonight. They've gone 9-3 since the Gay trade. Washington is 1 game below. That's 8 right there.

2. Lack of talent. Let's take the top 30 players in the league. My opinion, not in order.

[Durant, Westbrook, Paul, George, Lebron, Wade, Love, Bosh, Curry, Dirk, Lillard, Aldridge, Ibaka, Carmelo, Horford, Harden, Howard, Hibbert, Kyrie, Kobe, Lopez, Rondo, Rose, Rubio, Wall, Davis, Randolph, Conley, Gasol, Cousins, Smith]

I count 12 players from the East, 4 of which are out or haven't played yet (Horford, Lopez, Rondo, Rose).

Perhaps, I forgot a few players from the East. Let's use last year's All-NBA teams. 15 players and only 4 from the East. http://www.nba.com/2013/news/05/23/lebron-leads-first-team-all-nba/.

rubio is no where near top 30 in the league hes trash, replace with bledsoe, parker

sunsfan88
01-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Players who play for the teams in the East other than Miami and Indiana should have their salaries reduced.