PDA

View Full Version : Gasol for Bynum?

chi-townlove1
12-31-2013, 10:01 AM
The Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers have had discussions on a trade that would involve Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, league sources told ESPN.com.

No deal is believed to be imminent, but both sides are mulling it over ahead of a Jan. 7 deadline when the second half of Bynum's $12.25 million salary would be guaranteed. The Cavs suspended Bynum for one game this weekend for conduct detrimental to the team and have excused him indefinitely from all activities, including games.

By trading Gasol in a package for Bynum and then waiving him, the injury-ravaged Lakers could save more than $20 million in salaries and luxury taxes, which could help them maintain financial flexibility heading into the next few summers. A Gasol-Bynum trade would have to include at least one other player and perhaps other assets from Cleveland.

The Lakers are reluctant to part with the four-time All-Star in any trade without receiving assets of some value in return, sources said.

The Lakers have been luxury-tax payers for six straight seasons. While the luxury-tax savings this season -- and ability to avoid the repeater tax penalty that kicks in when a team is a taxpayer in four out of five years starting with the 2011-12 season -- would undoubtedly help the Lakers' long-term flexibility, the franchise's history and organizational culture make that a difficult prospect to consider.

There remains a strong organizational sentiment to continue to give the current group time to get healthy and resurrect its season before making any major moves, sources said.

The Cavs have been after Gasol since this past summer, when they had extensive discussions with the Lakers, sources said. Those talks ended when Dwight Howard signed with the Houston Rockets. The Cavs, who have been struggling, are looking to upgrade their roster as they attempt to end a three-year playoff drought.

The Cavs also have had separate discussions with the Chicago Bulls on a Bynum trade for Luol Deng, according to sources. The Bulls are in a similar position as the Lakers, about $8 million into the luxury tax and dealing with an injury-marred season.

Deng, like Gasol, is a free agent-to-be, and such a trade-and-waive deal with Bynum also could save the Bulls in excess of $20 million in salary and taxes this season. However, the Bulls have maintained they do not want to trade Deng and believe they will be able to re-sign him after the season.

Earlier this month ESPN.com reported the Lakers had been considering whether to trade Gasol as he clashed with coach Mike D'Antoni and struggled to adapt to his role within the coach's offensive and defensive systems. They had exploratory talks with several teams including the Bulls, Rockets and Brooklyn Nets but pulled back some after Gasol's attitude and play improved during Kobe Bryant's six games before going down again with a fracture of the lateral tibial plateau in his left knee.

Gasol, who is in the final year of a contract that pays him $19 million, is averaging 14.7 points and 9.4 rebounds per game while shooting what would be a career-low 45 percent from the field.

Bynum, who was an All-Star and won two rings with the Lakers before being traded in a deal for Howard in 2012, averaged 8.4 points and 5.3 rebounds in 24 games with the Cavs. After missing last season with knee injuries, Bynum has said he is unsure how long he will continue playing.

If he is waived by the Cavs or any team that might trade for him by Jan. 7, Bynum likely would have multiple offers to join a team as a free agent.

jp611
12-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Perfect move for the tank for the Lake Show.

ghettosean
12-31-2013, 10:11 AM
This trade makes sense for both sides.... Gasol can make the Cavs relevant and Bynum will bang Dantoni's wife so he will leave the lakers... LOL. In all honesty though Bynum will help with the tank for a good draft pick.

Win win!!!

chi-townlove1
12-31-2013, 10:22 AM
I think they are going to trade for Bynum and then just release him outright.

Chrisclover
12-31-2013, 11:03 AM
So Bynum 's detrimental is a blessing in disguise .
Happy New Year, Lakers !Your dream of tanking will be achieved!Give us a top 5 pick !
:towel-wave:

lakersiznumber1
12-31-2013, 11:19 AM
ask for waiters or first round pick and call it a season. This will help three teams la Cleveland and miami when they sign him to beat the pacers

Chrisclover
12-31-2013, 11:24 AM
The more I think about it, the more excited I get. This maybe a turning point for lakers. We may come back to the top -tier status in just a few seasons

ask for waiters or first round pick and call it a season. This will help three teams la Cleveland and miami when they sign him to beat the pacers

DreamShaker
12-31-2013, 12:57 PM
I would push to include Waiters, or make it a 3 team deal, and get an extra asset.

force_within
12-31-2013, 01:05 PM
ridiculous trade for the Lakers, but if they're really serious for tanking then why not..

BrandoCommando
12-31-2013, 01:05 PM
I would push to include Waiters, or make it a 3 team deal, and get an extra asset.

Why? Lakers are tanking.

They will waive Bynum shortly after the trade.

bucketss
12-31-2013, 01:19 PM
lakers are gonna draft wiggins and hes gonna go down as an all time great smh.

shep33
12-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Love this trade. Cavs would have to throw in a first rounder or waiters or something else of value

RipCity32
12-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Lakers do it for financial reasons obviously.

WITZ
12-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Love this trade. Cavs would have to throw in a first rounder or waiters or something else of value

They are saving the lakers $20 million dollars with this deal and you guys want a 1st or Waiters :laugh2: this is more of a trade for financial reasons than talent reasons also it helps the tank grow stronger.

COOLbeans
12-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Never thought I'd see the day when the lakers would intentionally try to lose games..

Wade n Fade
12-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Well, the tables have turned for the Cavs. You guys remember the Mo Williams/Baron Davis swap? The Cavs got Kyrie Irving out of it based on a first rounder, so it looks like the Cavs are looking for a dumping ground for their excessive waste.

Giannis94
12-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Why? Lakers are tanking.

They will waive Bynum shortly after the trade.

Nope. The team they are playing tonight is tanking. Bucks @ Lakers. Definitely a must watch game.

RipCity32
12-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Well, the tables have turned for the Cavs. You guys remember the Mo Williams/Baron Davis swap? The Cavs got Kyrie Irving out of it based on a first rounder, so it looks like the Cavs are looking for a dumping ground for their excessive waste.

There's no reason For the Cavs to throw in a 1st rounder. Anyone trading for Bynum are already getting a good deal because of the money they will save after this season.

Fireworld
12-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Gasol for a first round pick AND Waiters. Do it Mitch!

RipCity32
12-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Gasol for a first round pick AND Waiters. Do it Mitch!

They're probably holding out to see if they can trade Gasol for Anthony Davis first. If that don't fall through then this is probably option B.

Wade n Fade
12-31-2013, 02:08 PM
There's no reason For the Cavs to throw in a 1st rounder. Anyone trading for Bynum are already getting a good deal because of the money they will save after this season.

It's either Bennett, Waiters, or a first going to the Lakers and some people belief it's a first and a young player.

RipCity32
12-31-2013, 02:15 PM
It's either Bennett, Waiters, or a first going to the Lakers and some people belief it's a first and a young player.

For real, What the **** are the Cavs thinking?

Stunner
12-31-2013, 02:19 PM
This has Bulls written all over it , I think the Cavs value Deng more then Gasol .

shep33
12-31-2013, 02:20 PM
If this deal is legit someone else has to be thrown in from the Cavs to make the numbers work. Bennett, Waiters, Miles etc.

One of those guys

RipCity32
12-31-2013, 02:23 PM
The Cavs will be saving the Lakers around 20 mil on this deal. I can't see any situation were they would also throw them any of they're young valuable players or picks as well. It will be something around the lines of Bynum+Gee for Gasol.

Wade n Fade
12-31-2013, 02:24 PM
If I am Bennett, I would be afraid of LA because the fans there are harsher than Cleveland fans because if you're a first overall pick and do nothing, but do nothing in LA, it's a lot worse.

ottograham14
12-31-2013, 02:25 PM

This. Alonzo Gee is the name being tossed around as the additional player to make the salaries work.

Getting Bynum and his expiring contract early to get out of the upcoming luxury tax is enough incentive for a team knowingly not going to make the playoffs.

The Cavs hoard draft picks and are not going to give up one especially any of their 1st round picks for an expiring contract of Gasol. They could possibly part with the Sacramento pick they have that is highly protected but thats about it. They are not trading Waiters either for an expiring contract.

ottograham14
12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
The Cavs will be saving the Lakers around 20 mil on this deal. I can't see any situation were they would also throw them any of they're young valuable players or picks as well. It will be something around the lines of Bynum+Gee for Gasol.

Holy shee, someone who isn't a Cavs fan actually knowing what is going on even though the Pistons are basically the closest to the Cavs. Thank you for understanding the situation and not throwing out #1 picks or future first rounders for an expiring 20mill contract.

shep33
12-31-2013, 02:28 PM
They are saving the lakers $20 million dollars with this deal and you guys want a 1st or Waiters :laugh2: this is more of a trade for financial reasons than talent reasons also it helps the tank grow stronger.

Yeah but we usually rip people off in trades

WITZ
12-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Link for this because i ain't buying it doesn't make sense at all. Pau isn't the player he once was and your telling me he is worth a first rounder or one of 2 young players for a rental im calling bull maybe the cavs toss in a 2nd round pick but a 1st is just laughable imo.

ottograham14
12-31-2013, 02:29 PM
This has Bulls written all over it , I think the Cavs value Deng more then Gasol .

Grant is apperantly enamored with Gasol because he wants paint production as TT and Varajeo don't give the Cavs much of that besides elbow shots and push 10-15 footers from TT.

If Deng didn't have the achilles issues still affecting him though I would rather have him than Gasol on the team especially if Tyler Zeller continues to play well moving forward.

torocan
12-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Never thought I'd see the day when the lakers would intentionally try to lose games..

Not sure why you'd be shocked. The Lakers aren't a legitimate play off team in the West. There's just too many good teams. You'd have to climb over the carcasses of Minn, Dallas, New Orleans, Memphis and Denver.

In the East, sure... keep the dream alive. You can be 9-21 and still have a shot. In the West? Why bother? So you can get a 7th or 8th seed and run into the buzz saws of OKC, Portland and San Antonio? Or at best the Clippers, Rockets, Phoenix or GSW?

I think given the choice between a 1st round pick in this crazy loaded draft and a 1 and done in embarrassing fashion, many Lakers fans would prefer to just take a 1st round lottery pick. The Lakers weren't built on "win now", they were built on "keep on winning".

Vinylman
12-31-2013, 02:51 PM
This. Alonzo Gee is the name being tossed around as the additional player to make the salaries work.

Getting Bynum and his expiring contract early to get out of the upcoming luxury tax is enough incentive for a team knowingly not going to make the playoffs.

The Cavs hoard draft picks and are not going to give up one especially any of their 1st round picks for an expiring contract of Gasol. They could possibly part with the Sacramento pick they have that is highly protected but thats about it. They are not trading Waiters either for an expiring contract.

while the bolded sounds logical it really isn't because no matter what the Lakers do they are gonna make a trade at the deadline to get under the LT and it won't even be difficult...

the question is how bad do the Cavs want Gasol... if they don't then no one should be even talking about the deal... if they do... the Lakers have all the leverage...

Gibby23
12-31-2013, 03:06 PM
while the bolded sounds logical it really isn't because no matter what the Lakers do they are gonna make a trade at the deadline to get under the LT and it won't even be difficult...

the question is how bad do the Cavs want Gasol... if they don't then no one should be even talking about the deal... if they do... the Lakers have all the leverage...

Yup, trade Hill, Kamen, and Meeks and we are under. I think with or without the Gasol trade, we will trade those 3 and try to get a pick or 2.

Vinylman
12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Yup, trade Hill, Kamen, and Meeks and we are under. I think with or without the Gasol trade, we will trade those 3 and try to get a pick or 2.

yeah... the easiest is just to dump blake's expiring... but those would work also

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-31-2013, 04:02 PM
What is this? I dont even

Are we really tanking?

Wohoooo. I was pray
ing for this the last month

COOLbeans
12-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Not sure why you'd be shocked. The Lakers aren't a legitimate play off team in the West. There's just too many good teams. You'd have to climb over the carcasses of Minn, Dallas, New Orleans, Memphis and Denver.

In the East, sure... keep the dream alive. You can be 9-21 and still have a shot. In the West? Why bother? So you can get a 7th or 8th seed and run into the buzz saws of OKC, Portland and San Antonio? Or at best the Clippers, Rockets, Phoenix or GSW?

I think given the choice between a 1st round pick in this crazy loaded draft and a 1 and done in embarrassing fashion, many Lakers fans would prefer to just take a 1st round lottery pick. The Lakers weren't built on "win now", they were built on "keep on winning".

I agree thats probably a good move, but I never thought I'd see it.

KniCks4LiFe
12-31-2013, 04:08 PM
not a dumb move, they can trade now, get a pick, and release him before Jan.7th and save $$$ while CLE gets Gasol.

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-31-2013, 04:30 PM
I hope this trade happens. We are not bad enough when Pau is in the lineup. With him they are a .500 team. That's not going to get a high enough pick. I don't care about them saving money from repeater tax. Its not my wallet and I don't pretend to be their financial advisor. But this is the best move for basketball reason.

Dade County
12-31-2013, 04:36 PM

barring any injuries, the HEAT is/was going to get pass the Pacers regardless (HEAT fan, sorry).

Cracka2HI!
12-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Yeah but we usually rip people off in trades

That is true but I think those Lakers are gone. They don't have a good front office anymore. The Lakers are a normal bad team in their current form.

Cracka2HI!
12-31-2013, 07:15 PM
The Lakers are also still too good to tank as long as Bryant comes back. He wouldn't allow tanking, he's too competitive and he also probably doesn't want an elite rookie taking some of his spotlight.

Teeboy1487
12-31-2013, 07:20 PM
**** yeah, lets sink this mother****ing ship. #TANK

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-31-2013, 07:26 PM
That is true but I think those Lakers are gone. They don't have a good front office anymore. The Lakers are a normal bad team in their current form.

You don't need a great front office. The Clippers are still ran by the worst owner in sports but they got a great player in Cp 3 and turned things around.

The Lakers have made two mistakes. Signing Mike D instead of Phil and not trading Howard to get something for him.

But they also traded for Cp3, Dwight, and Nash. Bad luck hasn't allowed things to go their way but they still made those moves. That's better than every other team in the league.

sep11ie
12-31-2013, 08:11 PM
I thought the Lakers didn't have a 1st this year...

Duncan = Donkey
12-31-2013, 08:22 PM

Next Year

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-31-2013, 09:46 PM

Yes they do.

shep33
12-31-2013, 09:52 PM

Next year we don't.

But yeah, what a waste of picks on Nash

majmarcus
12-31-2013, 11:31 PM
I am so sick of hearing Gasoft's name being mentioned in trade speculation. I wanna trade him one min, the next min they dont. I wish they just stfu about him and just move just as silently as they were when they got him.