PDA

View Full Version : Is Kyrie Irving Overrated?

FriedTofuz
12-31-2013, 02:37 AM
As great of a scorer and shooter as he is, I feel as if he's not a great distributer and doesn't make his teamates better. He may be a sick shooter, score like 23points a game, but he cannot even lead his team to win even 30% of their games. Every time people bring up Kyrie Irving as one of the best PGs in the nba, I always cringe because he's not a good playmaker and he's done nothing ( with the cavs) to show that he's legit.

RipCity32
12-31-2013, 02:47 AM
Hes like a better looking Monta Ellis. That's the kind of player I think he is towards impacting the game. Except Monta might be a better passer :hide:.

majmarcus
12-31-2013, 03:12 AM
Bare in mind who the head coach is. Not exactly an offensive genius...

ThaDubs
12-31-2013, 03:51 AM
Yes. And Damian Lillard is underrated. Yeah.

Cal827
12-31-2013, 03:57 AM
Hes like a better looking Monta Ellis. That's the kind of player I think he is towards impacting the game. Except Monta might be a better passer :hide:.

:laugh2: Shots Fired. You're going to have more Cleveland fans on your *** than us Raptor fans in any JV thread lol :D

I question how legitimate his starting 5 is. Sometimes, having a bonafide starter alongside the PG can work wonders. I remember questioning whether or not John Wall could take the next step, but as we have seen now, with Beal/Ariza actually playing like a starter.

Or maybe it's team chemistry, or that he bought into his own hype way too early lol

kingsdelez24
12-31-2013, 05:30 AM
He is Gilbert Arenas's basketball reincarnation

Chrisclover
12-31-2013, 05:57 AM
Uncle Drew. He is a scoring machine. As a PG, he really need to improve his assist totals

John Walls Era
12-31-2013, 06:03 AM
Hes good on offense, but hes kind of a ball hog and his D is terrible. Beyond terrible given how athletic he is.

Swashcuff
12-31-2013, 08:34 AM
Based on his play this season and his extremely high expectations coming into the year yeah he's a bit overrated. Really hasn't made the strides that he was expected to by the pundits of the NBA.

FriedTofuz
01-01-2014, 05:06 AM
I personally wouldnt put him in the top 10 PGs.

Drummond#1
01-01-2014, 06:53 AM
I see him being an Eric Gordon type player. He can score but he is a piss poor locker room guy who is injury prone.

PacersForLife
01-01-2014, 07:14 AM
I think he is somewhat overrated. He's just not really an all around player I guess... good scorer, great ball handling. To be fair he's still young, so he's definitely still got time to improve. I don't really get the impression that he's a bad locker room guy though.

JasonJohnHorn
01-01-2014, 12:00 PM
He needs a better coach, but yeah, I'm inclined to think that he is overrated. He's one of those guys that can go one-on-one with anybody in the league and get his shot off, but there is FAR more to the game than that.

I like him He seems like a nice guy, but I think he's like a poor man's Allen Iverson, or worse yet, Stephon Marbury.

Looking at his stats, he isn't that different than Marbury or Steve Francais. .450 from the floor, respectable 3pt shot, scores a lot, shoots a lot and his assists-to-turnover ration is nothing to write home about.

I felt the same way about John Wall after his first couple of seasons. Jury is still out on him, but that kid can draw a foul!

The bigger problem with Kyrie is that he is injury prone. I mean.... is he ever going to play 70 games in a season? Even if he becomes as good as CP3, will he be available when the playoffs roll around?

DDynO
01-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Yes. Doesn't seem to make his teammates better. Has he even won 40% of his games in NBA?

Swashcuff
01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
Yes. Doesn't seem to make his teammates better. Has he even won 40% of his games in NBA?

Has he had a supporting cast that could have helped him win 40% of his games? This is a TEAM Sport. Andy V is almost always injured, Kyrie himself is always nursing and injury or the other and prior to this season everyone knew with the type of support he had it would have been difficult being a .400 team. He is overrated but this is a team sport, by your notion Gary Neal is better than Kyrie Irving.

DDynO
01-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Has he had a supporting cast that could have helped him win 40% of his games? This is a TEAM Sport. Andy V is almost always injured, Kyrie himself is always nursing and injury or the other and prior to this season everyone knew with the type of support he had it would have been difficult being a .400 team. He is overrated but this is a team sport, by your notion Gary Neal is better than Kyrie Irving.
Gary Neal wasn't the 1st overall pick with the expectations of leading the Cavs post-LeBron James. He is playing in the east where there are 3 teams above .500. I just feel he should be able to do more. He's not doing anything but losing and getting hurt. His roster isn't the best but come on dude.

Swashcuff
01-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Gary Neal wasn't the 1st overall pick with the expectations of leading the Cavs post-LeBron James. He is playing in the east where there are 3 teams above .500. I just feel he should be able to do more. He's not doing anything but losing and getting hurt. His roster isn't the best but come on dude.

You know what types of teams first overall picks generally go to? Teams like the Cavs who have missed the playoffs more times than they have made it in their franchise history.

The year he came into the league his team's W% automatically made the jump from .232 to .318 last season himself and Andy V missed 49% of their team games.

This year he has had much more help and is largely to blame for his team's poor play but when you consider the issues with coaching, system, lockerroom and Bybum its not real shocker to see the Cavs in the position they are in currently.

I repeat once more this is a team sport.

blahblahyoutoo
01-01-2014, 11:51 PM
he's properly rated.

sammyvine
01-02-2014, 07:41 AM
overated

he should be able to get his team above 500 if he is a superstar. its a team game but the east is pathetic. most teams are tanking, yet the cavs still have one of the worst record.

i don't like the hero ball he plays at the end of games, almost kobe-esque and his assists numbers are too low for a PG. I can't believe he was ranked 8th best player in the game. How can you be the 8th best player but lead your team to the lottery team?

koreancabbage
01-02-2014, 09:49 AM
no. GIVE HIM BETTER TALENT to work with.

celtNYpatsHeels
01-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Kyrie is a beast. He is a little overrated but once Cleveland gets a coach with a clue and a big guy who can pick and roll then Kyrie will be all star status. If Cleveland keeps drafting guys like Bennett and Thompson then Kyrie will be outta there faster than LeBron

xxplayerxx23
01-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Give him somebody to help. His team around him is pathetic. Waiters is alright, Thompson hasn't panned out Bynum either benett looks horrible. You can't name me 7pGs better.

b@llhog24
01-02-2014, 06:50 PM
overated

he should be able to get his team above 500 if he is a superstar. its a team game but the east is pathetic. most teams are tanking, yet the cavs still have one of the worst record.

i don't like the hero ball he plays at the end of games, almost kobe-esque and his assists numbers are too low for a PG. I can't believe he was ranked 8th best player in the game. How can you be the 8th best player but lead your team to the lottery team?

Lol who call him a superstar?

b@llhog24
01-02-2014, 06:56 PM
I can't say for sure what's happened to Kyrie this season, I suspect he's dealing with a nagging injury of some sort but he's been disappointing overall this season but he's been killing it the last couple a games.

FriedTofuz
01-02-2014, 07:15 PM
every time Rick Kamla on NBA tv asks stupid questions like " who would you choose to start a team, curry or irving" i'm just like " ****ing kamla, he doesnt know ****, he'd pick Granger over Dwight Howard for a fantasy team.

BklynKnicks3
01-05-2014, 05:41 AM
Young god is a stupid dudes be buggin hating on players with no help if he went to a 41-41 team like rose did as first pick he'd be top 5 player to some, I deal with melo bashing every day because he has zero help

FOXHOUND
01-05-2014, 06:24 AM
I don't think he's necessarily overrated, but certainly over hyped at this stage of his career. But you can say the same about John Wall and every other high draft pick coming into the NBA. He's immensely talented, but still very flawed and has ways to go. It doesn't help that his team is garbage, but he's been on a serious tear lately. Since playing the Knicks and their worst PG defense in the NBA to help kickstart his season, of course, he's averaging 26.8 PPG, 6.6 AST, 2.3 REB, 1.5 STL, 0.5 BLK, 2.6 TO, 1.7 PF and shooting .484/.424/.944 on 20.3 FGA, 6.0 3PTA and 4.9 FTA in 11 games playing 36.8 MPG.

That it SERIOUS production, shows why the hype for him is there. He's already elite in some aspects of the game. Scoring from the PG position, ball handling, 4th quarter/clutch scoring being the three I would list. He's only 21-years old, his game still has plenty of maturing to do. He's gotta improve on his serious flaws like his D and he needs to become a much better PG in terms of running an offense, not just putting up individual numbers. Then he'll be what the hype is, but at age 21 he's pretty darn good and I think he's got a good enough head on his shoulder and the work ethic to reach his potential.

The question is, will it be in Cleveland? :p

FOXHOUND
01-05-2014, 06:28 AM
every time Rick Kamla on NBA tv asks stupid questions like " who would you choose to start a team, curry or irving" i'm just like " ****ing kamla, he doesnt know ****, he'd pick Granger over Dwight Howard for a fantasy team.

To be fair Curry is 25, Irving is 21. When Curry was 21 he was in his rookie season. Do you think rookie Curry is better than Irving now? I don't think so, and he certainly wasn't winning, playing D or keeping a clean bill of health either.

CousinsEvansDUO
01-05-2014, 06:43 AM
kyrie doesn't deserve to be called great, when you have truly great players like jimmer not getting the opportunity to play that many minutes - he could easily surpass kyrie if given his FGA's, same goes for players like isaiah thomas and ray mccallum.

thekmp211
01-05-2014, 11:13 AM
kyrie doesn't deserve to be called great, when you have truly great players like jimmer not getting the opportunity to play that many minutes - he could easily surpass kyrie if given his FGA's, same goes for players like isaiah thomas and ray mccallum.

:facepalm: it was never funny man.

anyway yeah he has become overrated. after the hot start to his career a lot of people annointed him the next great point guard. people saw a lot of cp3 in him, but it's pretty clear he's never going to be that sort of passer. he's also a pretty god awful defender. i'd take guys like wall and lillard over him for sure at this point.

phantasyyy
01-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Yes hes overrated, his defense is terrible, he's like a sg stuck in a pg body. You'd think that having a defensive minded coach in Mike Brown would improve his defense but nah... I feel like he's to enamored with putting the ball in the hole that he disregards that the other half of the game is played on the other end.

You guys say he has no help but... I'm pretty sure you if you stick another pg that hes "supposedly better than" on the squad of

j. jack -->10/4/3
t. thompson 12/1/10
d. waiters 15/2.5/3
a. varejao 8/2/9.5

could have a better record than 11-22 in the eastern conference.

co

elizabethhill
01-05-2014, 10:04 PM
I think so too.Although, I must admit, he really does great in defense.

NBA_Starter
01-05-2014, 11:21 PM
No, are injuries a part of being overrated?

Shareeb_omac2
01-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Kyrie is insanely overrated.