PDA

View Full Version : Will any player ever average 30/10 again?

JasonJohnHorn
12-30-2013, 04:06 PM
In the 1989/90 season Karl Malone averaged 31 points and 11 rebounds a game. Despite being the league's second leading scorer and rebounder several times after that season, he never repeated the feat.

Before that, Moses Malone had averaged over 30 and 10, as did (81/82), as did Kareem (71, 72, 73, and 75). Elgin Baylor (61, 62 and 63) and Wilt (60-66) both pulled it off as well. And The Big O did it in 61, 62, 64, 65, 66 and 67, with either rebounds OR assists, and managed it with rebounds AND assists in 62.

Since Malone NOBODY has pulled it off. Shaq was the closest, with 28+ points to go along with double-digit rebounding,

The past few games, Kevin Durant have been averaging 30+ and 10+, but it seems unlikely that he will keep his averages high enough in both to exceed 30 and 10 by the end of the season. Last year was the first time in decades where a player failed to average 20/10, though that was in part due to the fact that VDN wasn't givng his starters 38+ minutes a game (Paul and Griffin could have both manged 20/10 a game with more minutes).

Season averages seem to have dropped from the 90's to present day. My question is: Will there ever be another player who averages 30 and 10? And who in the league is capable of pulling that off, if anybody?

I mean, is Shaq couldn't do it.... will anybody?

slaker619
12-30-2013, 04:14 PM
It will happen I can see it being Andre or DeMarcus Cousin if he gets his **** together

dalton749
12-30-2013, 04:17 PM
It will happen I can see it being Andre or DeMarcus Cousin if he gets his **** together

**** no

Bruno
12-30-2013, 04:19 PM
shaq put up 29.7 and 13.6 in 99-00.

…he pretty much did it haha.

i don't think there's a player in the league capable of doing it for a whole season. kevin love would be the closest. although he's more likely to give you 25/15/5. which i'd prefer over 30/10/squat.

mightybosstone
12-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Someone will most certainly do it. It's just a matter of the right player in the right era of basketball. In terms of current players, I wouldn't be shocked to see Kevin Love do it. The guy is already averaging 26/14 at age 25. With an improvement in his FG% and 2-3 more attempts per game, I could feasibly see him surpassing 30 points per game in his career. Rebounds will certainly never be a problem for him.

Durant and Lebron are two guys who could come close, but I'm not sure they'll ever surpass double digit rebounding totals. Curry is another guy to watch on this front. If he ever figures out how to draw fouls and get to the line a little more, his scoring numbers should skyrocket into that 28-30 point range.

In terms of predicting who and when, though, it's a total crapshoot. There's no way to know how the game will evolve in the future or how certain players will develop over that time. It could be any number of players or it could be someone who isn't in the league yet.

archdevil84
12-30-2013, 04:29 PM
lebron could do it be he just doesnt want to

mightybosstone
12-30-2013, 04:29 PM

I love Drummond's game and have been impressed with his evolution this season, but the guy is a long, long way away from ever being a 20/10 player offensively, much less a 30/10 guy. I just don't ever see him becoming more than an 18/13 guy who dominates defensively. And there's certainly no shame in that. His awful free throw percentage is also a huge obstacle offensively.

Cousins has a lot more potential offensively, but he's such an inefficient scorer, that I have a hard time buying him ever coming close to 30 points per game.

M.Bibby2.0
12-30-2013, 04:39 PM
I love Drummond's game and have been impressed with his evolution this season, but the guy is a long, long way away from ever being a 20/10 player offensively, much less a 30/10 guy. I just don't ever see him becoming more than an 18/13 guy who dominates defensively. And there's certainly no shame in that. His awful free throw percentage is also a huge obstacle offensively.

Cousins has a lot more potential offensively, but he's such an inefficient scorer, that I have a hard time buying him ever coming close to 30 points per game.

I don't think Cousins will ever average 30. But FYI hes getting 23/11 1.8 stls and 1 block on 49.5% FG, which has been increasing every year he's been in the league. He also shoots 72% FT so your efficiency point wont hold any merit pretty soon.

RipCity32
12-30-2013, 04:39 PM

I don't see Drummond ever being capable of 30ppg. Hes way to raw offensively. If he learns to use his size to his advantage more down low than Hes probably capable of a 20/15 season somewhere down the road though. Cousins I could see doing it though.

ghettosean
12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm surprised no one said Kevin Love

mightybosstone
12-30-2013, 04:48 PM
I don't think Cousins will ever average 30. But FYI hes getting 23/11 1.8 stls and 1 block on 49.5% FG, which has been increasing every year he's been in the league. He also shoots 72% FT so your efficiency point wont hold any merit pretty soon.

He's certainly made huge strides efficiency-wise this season, but it's also been kind of an anomaly. I'm not saying he can't keep this up, but I also don't trust those numbers until he's done it for a hell of a lot longer than 28 games. Also, 49% shooting and a 55% TS% are decent numbers for a big man, but they aren't going to get him anywhere close to 30 points a game unless he either gets to the line a hell of a lot more or takes WAY more shots.

Maybe calling him an inefficient scorer isn't fair based on his performance so far this season, but it's still a really small sample size, and my point remains that it's not likely at all that he'll ever average 30 a game.

mightybosstone
12-30-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm surprised no one said Kevin Love

lol... Did you read the posts in the thread? Two of us mentioned Love.

jerellh528
12-30-2013, 04:54 PM

Lol comments like these are some of the most uninformed and ridiculous on the site.

Chronz
12-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Kevin Love is your best bet. Blake if he ever gets a jumper and his own team but thats unlikely

DreamShaker
12-30-2013, 04:59 PM
I could see Love doing it. Durant and Lebron could do it for stretches, but not over the entire season.

Sactown
12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
He's certainly made huge strides efficiency-wise this season, but it's also been kind of an anomaly. I'm not saying he can't keep this up, but I also don't trust those numbers until he's done it for a hell of a lot longer than 28 games. Also, 49% shooting and a 55% TS% are decent numbers for a big man, but they aren't going to get him anywhere close to 30 points a game unless he either gets to the line a hell of a lot more or takes WAY more shots.

Maybe calling him an inefficient scorer isn't fair based on his performance so far this season, but it's still a really small sample size, and my point remains that it's not likely at all that he'll ever average 30 a game.
Not so much an anomaly when you see why it's happening.. the kings moved him from the high block where he was shooting 18 footers to this year where he is moved into the low block taking 5 footers... I doubt he averages 30 a game either and there's no reason for him too but 25/10/5 is easily possible

tredigs
12-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Some of these 30/10's are products of the era as much as their personal dominance, but we'll definitely see it again. Love, Davis, Cousins and probably Griffin are the only ones I see with the talent to get there (I doubt they will) with rebounds, and Curry the only one with assists. They'd need a season where they get ~42 mpg and increase their usage a bit, though.

Shlumpledink
12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Silly humans, it isn't going to be a player of extraordinary skill that does this. It will be a player in an extraordinary system. A terrible rebounding and shooting team will accomplish this. They will have a post player who is a pretty good rebounder who can clean up under the basket. He'll get offensive rebounds and score, and he'll run the floor well (since bigmen of this era are runners, not post players)

archdevil84
12-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Lol comments like these are some of the most uninformed and ridiculous on the site.

why? lebron could average double digits rebounds if he realy goes after those, especially on a weak rebounding team like the HEAT and we all know he could easily score 30 PPG. He has done it before so thats not a problem

JEDean89
12-30-2013, 06:24 PM
I mean, Melo is only 3.7 points and 1.2 rebounds away from averaging it this season, but no way he keeps it up. i think love could do it definitely, maybe Dwight if he can really figure out his offense, other than that I think Davis one day might be able to. He hasn't even scratched the surface of his offense.

Chronz
12-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Yeah Im thinking the team would have to be really bad too

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-30-2013, 06:40 PM

:laugh2:

Heediot
12-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Probably. The game is too perimeter oriented offensively so it's going to take a dominant big man to do this. Probably a top 5 GOAT type.

nickdymez
12-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Melo is probably your best bet. Followed by Love...

Hawkeye15
12-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Yeah Im thinking the team would have to be really bad too

it would. If Pek went down, and Martin got old next year, I could see Love going for 30/15 because he needs to do literally everything. Though, I think he would wear down in that scenario.

Minimal
12-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Obviously Kevin Love comes to mind.
Its more of a PF feat for players similar to Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett.
Or a center with great offensive force like Shaq or Hakeem, but how many of those we had in the past decade? Zero. Demarcus Cousins is the nearest one. Infact if he played 42 minutes he would most probably average 30 points a game.

Now LeBron... Could he average those numbers? I think he could, given the right circumstances and will to do that. Will he? No. Lets not forget LeBron averaged 30.3 PPG and 9.7 REB during the 2011-2012 playoffs. Thats 23 games against really good rebounding teams in the playoffs.

archdevil84
12-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Obviously Kevin Love comes to mind.
Its more of a PF feat for players similar to Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett.
Or a center with great offensive force like Shaq or Hakeem, but how many of those we had in the past decade? Zero. Demarcus Cousins is the nearest one. Infact if he played 42 minutes he would most probably average 30 points a game.

Now LeBron... Could he average those numbers? I think he could, given the right circumstances and will to do that. Will he? No. Lets not forget LeBron averaged 30.3 PPG and 9.7 REB during the 2011-2012 playoffs. Thats 23 games against really good rebounding teams in the playoffs.

exactly, lebron COULD do it given that the heat are terrible at rebounding. I dont understand why people think lebron couldnt do this

tredigs
12-30-2013, 09:31 PM
exactly, lebron COULD do it given that the heat are terrible at rebounding. I dont understand why people think lebron couldnt do this

Because in his top rebounding year (last season) he was 20% shy of this. And hasn't reached 30 ppg in the last seven years. It's not realistic to expect him to average both over the course of the season (unless he was doing it to the detriment of his team and his own efficiency). I don't see a realistic team/situation where he would pull it off over a year.

tredigs
12-30-2013, 09:38 PM
If KD played the 42+ mpg that Lebron did in his youth he'd be very close this season. ~31/9.5. He might be a more realistic answer if he strengthens up a bit over the next few years and plays more time at the 4, but it would still be a long shot.

naps
12-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Kevin Love is the closest thing to do it.

Chrisclover
12-30-2013, 11:05 PM
If he did it, his team would be on the verge of failure. Last playoff against Pacers,he averaged 30+10 and the main reason was the Heat was devoid of rebounders. That was just a playoff series so Lebron could barely handle it .If he needed to do it all season long, he might have opted out of his contract and soon afterwards asked for a trade before he managed 30+10:laugh:

nickdymez
12-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Kevin Love is the closest thing to do it.

No, Carmelo is

cmellofan15
12-31-2013, 12:04 AM
I'd think a wing player like Melo, Durant, Bron, or George would have a better chance at this than anyone outside of Love. There aren't any other big guys who can average 30 or even 25 in this league but these wing players are pretty damn close year in and out and it seems like they're only improving on the rebounding end.

But then again it comes down to the situation that they will be in to demand these stats, and the only wing (/power forward) who's in that desperate of a situation currently is Melo.

Nick O
12-31-2013, 12:22 AM
im gonna say the only one i see with a shot is K-love. and it would have to be still with a bad team. i cant see anyone else. unless Blake REALLY improves an outside shot but theres no way in hell.. i just dont think its possible in todays game.

PowerHouse
12-31-2013, 12:30 AM
In the 1989/90 season Karl Malone averaged 31 points and 11 rebounds a game. Despite being the league's second leading scorer and rebounder several times after that season, he never repeated the feat.

Before that, Moses Malone had averaged over 30 and 10, as did (81/82), as did Kareem (71, 72, 73, and 75). Elgin Baylor (61, 62 and 63) and Wilt (60-66) both pulled it off as well. And The Big O did it in 61, 62, 64, 65, 66 and 67, with either rebounds OR assists, and managed it with rebounds AND assists in 62.

Since Malone NOBODY has pulled it off. Shaq was the closest, with 28+ points to go along with double-digit rebounding,

The past few games, Kevin Durant have been averaging 30+ and 10+, but it seems unlikely that he will keep his averages high enough in both to exceed 30 and 10 by the end of the season. Last year was the first time in decades where a player failed to average 20/10, though that was in part due to the fact that VDN wasn't givng his starters 38+ minutes a game (Paul and Griffin could have both manged 20/10 a game with more minutes).

Season averages seem to have dropped from the 90's to present day. My question is: Will there ever be another player who averages 30 and 10? And who in the league is capable of pulling that off, if anybody?

I mean, is Shaq couldn't do it.... will anybody?

Shaq actually averaged 29.7 ppg with double digit rebounding during his MVP year. Thats only 0.3 ppg shy of the mark. If Durant or Lebron were playing on worse teams without help around them one of them could possibly do it, other than that nobody in the league today could but thats not to say that 10 or 20 years down the road another Shaq or Moses wont come along. We never know what could be around the corner.

FraziersKnicks
12-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah, why not? It's bound to happen at some point. Maybe by someone who isn't even born yet, or someone who's in 5th grade but I'm sure it'll happen again.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-31-2013, 12:44 AM
Poles.

Hawkeye15
12-31-2013, 12:46 AM
No, Carmelo is

how? Love already has the boards, and they are both within a few points of the scoring. Melo is grabbing 3 more boards per game how, as a perimeter player?

force_within
12-31-2013, 02:24 AM
I can see a point guard or a big man doing that in the future..

JasonJohnHorn
12-31-2013, 02:39 AM
I don't think it will... it is possible, but point guards who score 30+ are ball hogs, so it won't happen with assists.

Bigs that get 10+ boards? They are defensive minded big men and coaches don't develop their shooting much, and their post game won't matter because the NBA rules have shifted to promote wing players.

Even if you get a big that can shoot jumpers, coaches won' give them 20+ shots a night. That's what they got shooting guard for. And while many mock 'Antoni, he believes that the post game is as efficient as a mid-range/3pt game, and sadly, he is right.

The back-to-the-basket rules for time violation dissuade the post game.

I mean.... Shaq is a GOAT candidate, and if HE can't do it.... who will?

Lakers + Giants
12-31-2013, 03:19 AM
Love isn't going to do it, he's going to be on a stacked team with us. He won't need to score 30. :p

hidalgo
12-31-2013, 08:04 AM
wow, Karl Mailbags was a beast. so underrated & under appreciated. he was a cyborg

Kevin Love could do it in the next few years, especially if there's a year were he doesn't have a decent 2nd scoring option. been a long time since a white guy avg 30 ppg, but he's capable (if he wants it), &he could get 10 RPG in his sleep

cvietti23
12-31-2013, 08:35 AM
I'm surprised nobody has said Aldridge. I think he could possibly do it over a season. He's mightily impressive. Also, I think DeMarcus COULD do it, but I don't think he will. I think his best years are gonna be around 26 and 13. Kevin Love can do it, but he spends so much time on the perimeter, so saying his FG% is too low IMO is absurd. He's a stud. I don't think Blake has the offensive ability with his back to the basket

archdevil84
12-31-2013, 08:48 AM
maybe chris paul could do it if he shoots alot more??

Minimal
12-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Just checked Chris Bosh and LaMarcus Aldridge, as they are pretty similar players, out of curiosity...
And I found an interesting thing.
LMA shoots 20+ times a game to average 24 points. The year Chris Bosh averaged 24 and 10.8, he shot only 16.5 times a game, playing only 36 minutes. If he shot as many times as Love, Aldridge, Garnett, Nowitzki and other great PF in their primes, he might have averaged 30 points a game.
Bosh looks great lately and really if he had an opportunity to be the main wheel on the team, you never know, what kind of numbers he would average by now in his prime years.

John Walls Era
12-31-2013, 12:42 PM
Lebron has a chance.

nickdymez
12-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Just checked Chris Bosh and LaMarcus Aldridge, as they are pretty similar players, out of curiosity...
And I found an interesting thing.
LMA shoots 20+ times a game to average 24 points. The year Chris Bosh averaged 24 and 10.8, he shot only 16.5 times a game, playing only 36 minutes. If he shot as many times as Love, Aldridge, Garnett, Nowitzki and other great PF in their primes, he might have averaged 30 points a game.
Bosh looks great lately and really if he had an opportunity to be the main wheel on the team, you never know, what kind of numbers he would average by now in his prime years.

The fact that his team is unbelievebly stacked means nothing? Bosh is the 3rd option on his team, Aldridge is option 1a.

todu82
12-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Yeah I think eventually it'll happen again.

torocan
12-31-2013, 02:00 PM
It's possible it will happen again, but it's doubtful that we'll see it any time soon.

30 points per game requires a very high level of usage, and very few players could attain those kinds of scoring numbers without seeing a significant drop off in scoring efficiency. Given how heavily scoring efficiency is now scrutinized (see Rudy Gay), few teams would allow a player to take that many scoring opportunities at the cost of efficiency.

Even if you could maintain good scoring efficiency, anyone scoring 30 PPG is most likely part of a very imbalanced offense. In other words, IF you had a player that talented, that player most likely doesn't have much help. And players without help won't stay around for all that long if they're expected to score 30 every night as well as get 10 rebounds. If you had a team with a 30/10 scorer, they most likely would want the team to find them some help or be looking to leave to a team to give them some help.

There are players that *could* get 30/10 as a season average, I just doubt that we'll see it any time soon.

beasted86
12-31-2013, 02:06 PM
LeBron, Durant, and Love could do it if all they cared about were those stats and not efficiency or winning.

Minimal
12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
The fact that his team is unbelievebly stacked means nothing? Bosh is the 3rd option on his team, Aldridge is option 1a.
My point is if he played in another team, where he would be 1st wheel, not Miami obviously. Some fast paced team without stars like 76ers or even Wolves in place of Love. Karl Malone played in a fast paced team when he averaged 30/10. That team would be 6th in pace if they played in this season.

nickdymez
12-31-2013, 03:14 PM
My point is if he played in another team, where he would be 1st wheel, not Miami obviously. Some fast paced team without stars like 76ers or even Wolves in place of Love. Karl Malone played in a fast paced team when he averaged 30/10. That team would be 6th in pace if they played in this season.

Like the Raptors?

Minimal
12-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Like the Raptors?
Raptors were average paced team when he averaged 24 points, therefore he averaged only 16.5 shots a game, not 20 like Aldridge and Love do now. And that was when he was 25, not prime really and now he has a 3 point shot too.

dhopisthename
12-31-2013, 03:52 PM
outside of love I can't see anyone doing it in today's nba. I mean durant leads the league in ppg with 28.5 and there is only 4 players averaging over 25. and for rebounds only 10 players average over 10 so I don't see it happening outside of some really flukey season for someone like love. it is really hard for bigs to average over 30 and its nearly impossible for a pg to average 30 and still get 10 assists.

bagwell368
01-01-2014, 01:26 PM
wow, Karl Mailbags was a beast. so underrated & under appreciated. he was a cyborg

Except in the playoffs when he was a suck-borg.

If Love does it, it might actually fit within a winning environment - however if its Carmelo, it'll be an inefficient losing team - sort of the like the Knicks this year (9-21 in the pathetic EC).