PDA

View Full Version : what okc could have been?

rapsjaysfan88
12-30-2013, 03:28 PM
just wondering what okc would be like if they kept and started jeff green and harden.

pg rw
sg harden
sf durant
pf green
c ibaka

would be small ball but certainly an interesting team none the less.
thoughts?

Raps18-19 Champ
12-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Cheap owners.

mightybosstone
12-30-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm certainly glad Harden's in Houston, but the Harden trade will almost certainly go down as one of the league's greatest "what if?" scenarios. However, I'm not sure that five-man starting roster would have worked all that well defensively. It would have gotten killed on the glass and in the defensive front court. Regardless, if OKC had kept Harden, they definitely would have gone further in last year's playoffs and likely would have gotten at least one or two titles out of that core. Now I'm curious to see how long that group can stay together and if they can ever win a title with as talented as the West has gotten.

PurpleLynch
12-30-2013, 05:03 PM
They would be awesome to see,most athletic and young team of the Nba. Could have won multiple championships in my opinion.

tredigs
12-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Is it that time of the month for this thread already?

Kind of funny that they're still created when they're playing top 1-3 ball in the NBA with a young/prime core. They could very well win a title this season, and could have last season if Wetbrook did not go down.

Dade County
12-30-2013, 05:11 PM
It's a good thing that super team was broken up... It would have been horrible for the league, competitive wise. Lets see if any of you (I'm taking my talents to south beach) F'in haters, disagree with that.

Oh, but they drafted all their players... :crying:

mightybosstone
12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Is it that time of the month for this thread already?

Kind of funny that they're still created when they're playing top 1-3 ball in the NBA with a young/prime core. They could very well win a title this season, and could have last season if Wetbrook did not go down.

Regardless of how well the Thunder are playing, this is always a point worth making. Is it fair to bring this up with a new thread every freaking month? Probably not. But it's pretty clear to anybody who watches NBA basketball that the Thunder front office made a mistake by dealing Harden, especially for the crap package they got in return for him.

Could the Thunder win a title or two with this group? Hell yeah. They've got two top 10 players in the league on the same team and several other talented young prospects. But that doesn't mean the Harden trade wasn't a terrible one. And if you play the "if Westbrook doesn't go down last year, they could have won a title" card, couldn't you just as easily play the "if Harden doesn't get traded, the Thunder could have won a title" card?

TL;DR: Playing good basketball doesn't negate the front office's monumental error.

Kevj77
12-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Cheap owners.Harden was definitely a financial decision made by ownership. I wonder how much the new CBA impacted their decision. It would be ironic if the new CBA intended to hold back large markets prevented the most promising small market team from becoming a dynasty.

poleandreel
12-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Jeff Green was awful at defense and couldn't cover most PFs. He also wasn't very good offensively and his departure allowed Westbook, Durant, and especially Ibaka to grow and improve.

What if ibaka was stuck playing 20mpg because Green was there and therefore, never developed and left in free agency last season?

I loved Harden but that trade was fine. We had a better record without him, which again, proved the doubters wrong. We don't need another 20ppg scorer on this team and Martin was the perfect fit being the knock down shooter that he is. If Beverly isn't a *****, we have as good a shot at winning the finals as anyone.

Trading Harden also allowed us to see just how good Reggie Jackson is. His numbers are identical or better than Hardens first year with significant minutes. Reggie will probably end up winning 6th man of the year, like I called before the season. It also all allowed us to get Lamb who, if you watched any games this year, has the talent/ability to be an all-star and average the same 16/3/3 that Harden did. In fact, Lamb is a much better shooter than Harden was and is a MUCH better defender.

We also got Steven Adams. He is a big man with great finishing ability already. You can't teach offensive game/how to catch the ball to bigmen. They have it or they don't. Look at dwight. Once he matures and learns to stop fouling, he has allstar ability as well.

So:

Trading green led to us seeing how good Ibaka is. It allowed Russ/Durant to evolve as players and get better.
Trading Harden got us a year of Martin, showed us how good RJax is, a potential future all star in Lamb, and a potential future all star in Adam.

As an Okc fan, I am happy with the decisions. Worry about your own team because chances are, they are not being run as well as this team is.

See: LA, NY, Brooklyn

xxplayerxx23
12-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Jeff Green was awful at defense and couldn't cover most PFs. He also wasn't very good offensively and his departure allowed Westbook, Durant, and especially Ibaka to grow and improve.

What if ibaka was stuck playing 20mpg because Green was there and therefore, never developed and left in free agency last season?

I loved Harden but that trade was fine. We had a better record without him, which again, proved the doubters wrong. We don't need another 20ppg scorer on this team and Martin was the perfect fit being the knock down shooter that he is. If Beverly isn't a *****, we have as good a shot at winning the finals as anyone.

Trading Harden also allowed us to see just how good Reggie Jackson is. His numbers are identical or better than Hardens first year with significant minutes. Reggie will probably end up winning 6th man of the year, like I called before the season. It also all allowed us to get Lamb who, if you watched any games this year, has the talent/ability to be an all-star and average the same 16/3/3 that Harden did. In fact, Lamb is a much better shooter than Harden was and is a MUCH better defender.

We also got Steven Adams. He is a big man with great finishing ability already. You can't teach offensive game/how to catch the ball to bigmen. They have it or they don't. Look at dwight. Once he matures and learns to stop fouling, he has allstar ability as well.

So:

Trading green led to us seeing how good Ibaka is. It allowed Russ/Durant to evolve as players and get better.
Trading Harden got us a year of Martin, showed us how good RJax is, a potential future all star in Lamb, and a potential future all star in Adam.

As an Okc fan, I am happy with the decisions. Worry about your own team because chances are, they are not being run as well as this team is.

Green trade was pretty bad. But yeah I agree very well run team

RaginRondo17
12-30-2013, 06:13 PM
It's a good thing that super team was broken up... It would have been horrible for the league, competitive wise. Lets see if any of you (I'm taking my talents to south beach) F'in haters, disagree with that.

You realize how that sounds coming from a heat fan?

Dade County
12-30-2013, 06:36 PM
You realize how that sounds coming from a heat fan?

Yes I do... :laugh2:

mdm692
12-30-2013, 06:40 PM

yeah blame the Thunder cause they drafted smart instead of wasting picks in players like say umm....Beasley.

JEDean89
12-30-2013, 06:49 PM
I honestly think the Jackson, Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka, Adams lineup can be better in a couple years time. Adams is gonna be very serviceable and Jackson is already beasting. They are doing fine, they are drafting solid young players and using them to attain more assets if they can't resign them. Thunder are atop the league and a young, flexible and have a limitless ceiling. just let em grow a little more, Durant is only 25.

tredigs
12-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Regardless of how well the Thunder are playing, this is always a point worth making. Is it fair to bring this up with a new thread every freaking month? Probably not. But it's pretty clear to anybody who watches NBA basketball that the Thunder front office made a mistake by dealing Harden, especially for the crap package they got in return for him.

Could the Thunder win a title or two with this group? Hell yeah. They've got two top 10 players in the league on the same team and several other talented young prospects. But that doesn't mean the Harden trade wasn't a terrible one. And if you play the "if Westbrook doesn't go down last year, they could have won a title" card, couldn't you just as easily play the "if Harden doesn't get traded, the Thunder could have won a title" card?

TL;DR: Playing good basketball doesn't negate the front office's monumental error.

Some points I agree with, others I don't. Like I said, this thread is created once a month and it's not worth delving into. I just find it especially funny to see it when they're on top of an absolutely stacked Western conference, they just beat the piss out of Houston without Westbrook, and they're officially having the best start to a season in their franchises history.

WES KOAST
12-30-2013, 09:36 PM
I honestly think the Jackson, Westbrook, Durant, Ibaka, Adams lineup can be better in a couple years time. Adams is gonna be very serviceable and Jackson is already beasting. They are doing fine, they are drafting solid young players and using them to attain more assets if they can't resign them. Thunder are atop the league and a young, flexible and have a limitless ceiling. just let em grow a little more, Durant is only 25.

u forgot lamb, dude is so good and under the radar

JEDean89
12-30-2013, 11:42 PM
^^^ i prefer jackson westbrook to westbrook lamb tbh

JEDean89
12-30-2013, 11:42 PM
jackson, westbrook, lamb, durant, ibaka can be rowdy smallball

FlashBolt
12-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Huge okc fan. Westbrook and durant are respectively my favorite players outside of lebron and duncan. There was no way okc would have beaten miami. I'm not sure they would beat that spurs squad either

Chrisclover
12-31-2013, 12:01 PM
OKC would have been a dynasty.But I wonder if the owner was willing to pay the taxes before they pulled off a championship .After all, it is a small market team .

rapsjaysfan88
12-31-2013, 03:57 PM
i love okc i was just wondering if the scenario i layed out would be a better team.

houstonfan
12-31-2013, 04:26 PM

So:

:laugh2: you sir are really dumb if you think he did anything different than every other aggressive player in the NBA. It was a freak accident and it really sucks for Westbrook but good lord get over it.