PDA

View Full Version : Zach Randolph Passing?

JasonJohnHorn
12-29-2013, 01:21 AM
I've been keeping track of the boxscores a lot for the LOTN threads, and I've noticed an interesting tread lately. Zach Randolph has posted 5 or more assists in 5 of the last 7 games. The guy only averages 1.7 per game on his career, but this season is a career high at 2.5, which isn't much, but it is a lot in context.

The last stretch he seems to be a play maker in the post. I haven't gotten to watch any of the games, but has anybody noticed something? Is this just a statistical anomaly? Or is this guy reinventing his game at 32?

Swashcuff
12-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Zach was once seen as one of the biggest black holes (http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=8847) in the NBA but I've noticed that since Marc has gone down he's taken up more of a leadership role on both ends of the floor and been doing the intangible stuff really well. I honestly haven't been paying attention to his assists in recent games and I only caught about 4 or 5 Grizz games this season but it is good that he's trying his best to fill the MASSIVE voids left in the absence of Marc.

Sactown
12-29-2013, 02:18 AM
They run the offense through Marc Gasol so theres never been a need for him to create for others, looks like he's picking up loose slack from the absence of Marc

spreadeagle
12-29-2013, 02:28 AM
I seriously thought he might have died when I read title lmao

JasonJohnHorn
12-29-2013, 02:50 AM
I seriously thought he might have died when I read title lmao

lol... sorry... my bad... totally bad title!

Chrisclover
12-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Lmao
i seriously thought he might have died when i read title lmao

raiderposting
12-29-2013, 07:00 AM
I thought he was in coma.

Asik's better
12-29-2013, 07:01 AM
RIP Zach Randolph, 1981-2013

goingfor28
12-29-2013, 07:41 AM
RIP. too young

kingsdelez24
12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Funny how people are more likely to think that he'd die before he became a sufficient passer

JasonJohnHorn
12-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Funny how people are more likely to think that he'd die before he became a sufficient passer

lol

mzgrizz
12-29-2013, 05:59 PM
I've been keeping track of the boxscores a lot for the LOTN threads, and I've noticed an interesting tread lately. Zach Randolph has posted 5 or more assists in 5 of the last 7 games. The guy only averages 1.7 per game on his career, but this season is a career high at 2.5, which isn't much, but it is a lot in context.

The last stretch he seems to be a play maker in the post. I haven't gotten to watch any of the games, but has anybody noticed something? Is this just a statistical anomaly? Or is this guy reinventing his game at 32?

He's had to pick up Marc's good habits of dishing assists.
He really has become an unbelievable player for us

mzgrizz
12-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Yep. Too many here keep him frozen in time and don't know his old labels are just that....

IndyRealist
12-29-2013, 06:50 PM
There is also the possibility that Randolph is passing more because without Marc he's seeing a lot more double teams? I don't really watch the Griz, but thought I'd bring it up.

mzgrizz
12-29-2013, 07:25 PM
He's seeing double most of the time, and some triple teaming.
Doesn't surprise me that most no one sees us because we aren't on national tv much at all. Guess the network dudes really couldn't predict their way out of paper bags this year, but they got us right this time.

Chrisclover
12-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Z -Bo has to undertake the responsibility of passing the ball while Marc is out. Kind of surprised to see him put up this kind of numbers though but as a veteran and a teammate who has been with Marc for several years, it is understandable that he has develop his dishing. Ha, maybe Marc pushes him to practise passing with him.

MrfadeawayJB
12-30-2013, 02:38 AM
All of the points mentioned are valid, but to add to that grizz have better shooters around ZBO than they ever have in his Memphis days

Swashcuff
12-30-2013, 12:23 PM
To the Grizz fans question. Have you guys seen any improvement in his vision or passing that leads to him getting a slight hike in assists or is it just a result of him being a more willing passer?

mzgrizz
12-30-2013, 10:23 PM
To the Grizz fans question. Have you guys seen any improvement in his vision or passing that leads to him getting a slight hike in assists or is it just a result of him being a more willing passer?

Hard to say but I really think he's a more willing passer to get dudes off his back;getting doubled and tripled and plans his game accordingly