PDA

View Full Version : Rumored 3 team deal has Deng to Houston, Asik to Atlanta and Lin to Chicago

KniCks4LiFe
12-27-2013, 05:03 PM
After not finding a deal that Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey deemed reasonable for backup center Omer Asik last week, the rumors have now swirled to involve point guard Jeremy Lin as a possible package deal. Earlier this week, it was reported that Morey talked to the Brooklyn Nets about a potential deal involving Asik/Lin for Deron Williams, and now it appears that a 3-team trade is being explored with the Chicago Bulls and Atlanta Hawks.

According to FOX Sports, the Bulls have inquired about trading for Lin in exchange for Luol Deng, with the Hawks being a possible destination for Asik.

(source) (http://spacecityscoop.com/2013/12/27/nba-trade-rumors-three-team-trade-involving-omer-asikjeremy-linluol-deng-explored/)

Ryan328
12-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Ehh. Houston with Deng and Parsons? Doesn't make that much sense to me.

John Walls Era
12-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Can Butler play the 3? Lin will probably be the 6th man once Rose comes back. Possibly sharing the 2 guard spot in the 4th quarter. At least playing as backup for Bulls is better than playing backup for that Kevin Mcfail team with that clown playing C.

KniCks4LiFe
12-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Jimmy is big enough *pause* to play the 3 spot. I'm just trying to figure out how. The contracts don't all match up.

torocan
12-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Source is kind of dodgy, but from a practical perspective Lin would make some sense for the Bulls.

Lin is a decent starting PG, and is able to play on and off the ball so would be solid in a 2 guard line up with Rose + Lin. Given that one of the Bulls' biggest issues is scoring, having 2 explosive guards could relieve a tremendous amount of pressure.

The real question is whether the Bulls are willing to eat the $15M balloon payment despite it only being an $8.3M cap hit. However, if the only way to keep Rose happy is to try to keep as much of the team intact as possible, then acquiring Lin would at least mean that this season wouldn't be a complete waste for the Bulls.

They could make a legitimate run for a play off spot, and potentially get into the 2nd round. Won't help that much against Indiana and Miami, but it's better than burning the season I'm guessing.

KniCks4LiFe
12-27-2013, 05:15 PM
the source is dodgy but it's a Foxsports initial story. This source just plugged the story.

IndyRealist
12-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Jimmy is big enough *pause* to play the 3 spot. I'm just trying to figure out how. The contracts don't all match up.

Assuming Butler plays the 3, Atlanta has to send salary back to Chicago. I'm guessing Kyle Korver? Not sure what Chicago's needs are.

sunsfan88
12-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Why would the Bulls be willing to give up an All Star top 8 SF for Jeremy Lin?

*Silver&Black*
12-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Assuming Butler plays the 3, Atlanta has to send salary back to Chicago. I'm guessing Kyle Korver? Not sure what Chicago's needs are.

Why would the Hawks give up Kyle Korver just to get Asik? No thanks. Korver is our only consistent SG.

torocan
12-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Expiring contract.

torocan
Bleh, duplicate post.

torocan
Stupid duplicate post.

kozelkid
12-27-2013, 05:38 PM

While I do agree that Lin makes little sense for the Bulls, you're overrating Deng's value. People need to remember that Deng is going to be 29 for the next upcoming FA and is inevitably going to demand one last big contract. When you factor his age and injury history, the chances of him living up to said contract are very limited.

Besides all else, Deng's play probably holds more value to the Bulls than it will for any other team. I hope the Bulls do trade him (as this season is lost anyway), but he isn't nearly as valuable to other teams as some people may think.

kozelkid
12-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Double post

29$JerZ
12-27-2013, 05:39 PM
If this has any truth to it this sounds more like Chicago rebuilding.

Bruno
12-27-2013, 05:40 PM
asik (who wants starters minutes) to atlanta- who already has horford and milsap and Deng to Houston to back up parsons? sounds borderline moronic to me.

goku
12-27-2013, 05:41 PM
this trade makes no sense for the rockets given the injuries they have had at the PG spot they have enough wing players I don't think It happens

IndyRealist
12-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Why would the Hawks give up Kyle Korver just to get Asik? No thanks. Korver is our only consistent SG.
Not saying they are. I'm saying it's the only salary that matches without the trade becoming ridiculously complicated. Bulls have Gibson and Boozer, so they're not going to want Milsap.

shep33
12-27-2013, 06:08 PM
No chance this happens

rapjuicer06
12-27-2013, 06:12 PM
asik (who wants starters minutes) to atlanta- who already has horford and milsap and Deng to Houston to back up parsons? sounds borderline moronic to me.

exactly

TrueFan420
12-27-2013, 06:16 PM
He'd start for the hawks tho and if milsap wasn't involved in the deal then he'd prob be the one to come off the bench for horford.

Deng to Houston does sound weird tho.

nycericanguy
12-27-2013, 06:19 PM
It makes some sense. CHI obviously needs a PG and Lin would be able to be their Rose in that offense. I mean lets be real, if you give Lin the opportunities Rose had in that offense, Lin could put up 20 & 7 on solid efficiency.

For HOU, they shed Lin's balloon payment contract. They might be looking at Deng as someone that can guard Durant and other SF/PFs like Chandler/Gallo...etc..in the playoffs. They probably won't resign him, but they could offer him in S&T scenarios. If not, like i said, they at the very least don't have to pay Lin $15m next year... I mean that's a lot of money!

For ATL, well Hortford is hurt so Asik would start for now. Milsap is only signed for another year, they could move him or Hortford for a wing player in a future trade. And they get to move Al back to the 4.

blahblahyoutoo
12-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Source is kind of dodgy, but from a practical perspective Lin would make some sense for the Bulls.

Lin is a decent starting PG, and is able to play on and off the ball so would be solid in a 2 guard line up with Rose + Lin. Given that one of the Bulls' biggest issues is scoring, having 2 explosive guards could relieve a tremendous amount of pressure.

The real question is whether the Bulls are willing to eat the $15M balloon payment despite it only being an $8.3M cap hit. However, if the only way to keep Rose happy is to try to keep as much of the team intact as possible, then acquiring Lin would at least mean that this season wouldn't be a complete waste for the Bulls.

They could make a legitimate run for a play off spot, and potentially get into the 2nd round. Won't help that much against Indiana and Miami, but it's better than burning the season I'm guessing.

first time i've heard lin and explosive in the same sentence.

J4KOP99
12-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Nothing is making sense anymore

Kyben36
12-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Can Butler play the 3? Lin will probably be the 6th man once Rose comes back. Possibly sharing the 2 guard spot in the 4th quarter. At least playing as backup for Bulls is better than playing backup for that Kevin Mcfail team with that clown playing C.

Butler can play the 3, but i hope the bulls have no interest in Lyn. who else would the bulls get, seeing as Deng for Lyn doesnt work, asik would have to go to Atlanta but for what ??? also, why do they want Lu, unless they plan on playing small with him at the 4, or parsons, cant see how it works out, i mean, deng, can play the 4, but only under certain circumstances.

torocan
12-27-2013, 06:34 PM
first time i've heard lin and explosive in the same sentence.

It's a subjective adjective.

14.7/4.2 playing 30 minutes on 9.3 FGA/game.

49.5% FG%, 38.9% 3pt%, 79.1% FT%, on 63.2% TS%.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01.html

He also happens to be one of the top 10 players in the NBA when it comes to driving to the rim.

#8 drives per game (8.3)
#2 FG% on drives (61.3%)
#8 Team PPG on drives (9.5)
#7 Pts/48 mins on drives (8.3)

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDrives.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&filters=GP*GE*10**DVS*GE*5&sortField=FG_PCT&sortOrder=DES

He's not an Star caliber PG, but he can definitely score.

5ass
12-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Asik can get starter minutes in Atl.
Asik (32)/Horford(16)
Horford (20)/Milsap(28)
SF-Milsap(4)

Thats 32 min for Asik, 36 min for Horford, and 32 for Milsap.

Deng and Parsons can easily play together sharing minutes at the 3/4 positions. Deng at the 4 is better than Jones IMO.

BrandoCommando
12-27-2013, 06:49 PM

My thoughts exactly.

mdm692
12-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Asik can get starter minutes in Atl.
Asik (32)/Horford(16)
Horford (20)/Milsap(28)
SF-Milsap(4)

Thats 32 min for Asik, 36 min for Horford, and 32 for Milsap.

Deng and Parsons can easily play together sharing minutes at the 3/4 positions. Deng at the 4 is better than Jones IMO.
Exactly. And at the end of the day you are playing to dethrone Miami who likes to go small at times.

Ebbs
12-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Hmm weird I don't like this for anyone. Deng is nice but I don't really like Parsons or Deng at small ball 4. Jones has been good. Not even sure why Rockets want this.

Asik's better
12-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Can't wait the next 40 rumors to come out about asik. Can't wait until after the deadline so all these rumors stop.

BenFrank
12-27-2013, 07:12 PM
If this trade went through.. Rockets reasoning would be to have a perimeter defender for this year, and a load of cap space for next year to sign another star player.. Melo at the 4 maybe..

c.c.
12-27-2013, 07:25 PM
I hope this is just a rumor, we don't need Deng. And BTW we don't need Deron Williams either, both are pricey and position we don't need. Williams is an upgrade but not a need. He's been hurt a lot, older, and gets paid triple the amount of our current PG's. As a Rockets fan, I'm find with Lin and Beverley. Our biggest need is a scrappy Pf that can be a threat outside. Jones got all the potential in the world to be that but i dont know if he's ready yet. I like the Millsap talks and I think the Thaddeus Young deal is ok but I'd rather Jones. With all that being said, I rather Asik rot on our bench before we make a deal that will hurt our cap or chemistry!

effen5
12-27-2013, 07:39 PM
I don't want Lin...ew

sep11ie
12-27-2013, 07:43 PM
That's probably why our announcers where sucking Deng's D the whole we played them last.

tr3ymill3r
12-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Deng as a stretch 4?

*Silver&Black*
12-27-2013, 08:05 PM
I just don't see what ATL would give up for this to happen. Teague and Korver is nearly untouchable when it comes to an Asik trade, Bulls wouldn't want Millsap (and Millsap is greater than getting Asik in return). Maybe some expiring contracts for the Bulls like Brand + another filler as this rumor sounds like the Bulls rebuilding.

blahblahyoutoo
12-27-2013, 08:06 PM
apparently very subjective.
lebron is explosive. wb is explosive. rose used to be explosive.

lin likes to go to the hoop. a quick first step is as much as I'll give him.

It's a subjective adjective.

14.7/4.2 playing 30 minutes on 9.3 FGA/game.

49.5% FG%, 38.9% 3pt%, 79.1% FT%, on 63.2% TS%.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01.html

He also happens to be one of the top 10 players in the NBA when it comes to driving to the rim.

#8 drives per game (8.3)
#2 FG% on drives (61.3%)
#8 Team PPG on drives (9.5)
#7 Pts/48 mins on drives (8.3)

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDrives.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&filters=GP*GE*10**DVS*GE*5&sortField=FG_PCT&sortOrder=DES

He's not an Star caliber PG, but he can definitely score.

John Walls Era
12-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Rockets would be dumb to do this.

ChiSox219
12-27-2013, 08:11 PM
This deal just seems too perfect for Houston to be true but I guess that's Morey's MO

DamnGoat
12-27-2013, 08:19 PM
I don't buy it.

Asik makes more sense for the Bulls than Lin and the contracts don't match up anyway.

Stunner
12-27-2013, 08:36 PM
If it happen deal would prob look like this http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l98bqmj Anyway Deng would be a stretch 4 in Houston.

John Walls Era
12-27-2013, 08:41 PM
If it happen deal would prob look like this http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l98bqmj Anyway Deng would be a stretch 4 in Houston.

-12 wins!!!

yeah Houston would be ******** to trade Lin

Saddletramp
12-27-2013, 10:51 PM
That's a terrible deal. Jones, Asik and Lin for Deng and scrubs. GTFO with that trash.

IndyRealist
12-27-2013, 11:01 PM

Like I said, Korver to Chicago is the only thing that makes sense to make the deal work, without it being ridiculously complicated. Would Atlanta even have enough players not to forfeit after that?

thomass
12-27-2013, 11:05 PM
That's a terrible deal. Jones, Asik and Lin for Deng and scrubs. GTFO with that trash.

Houston gets rid of two big contracts for 2 guys that don't even start. Payroll flexibility is very valuable.

GottaLoveCubs
12-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Why would the Bulls be looking to add money for next year? This doesn't make much sense to me. Why are we going to help the Rockets with their crappy contracts they gave out and not even get a draft pick back?

Asik's better
12-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Houston gets rid of two big contracts for 2 guys that don't even start. Payroll flexibility is very valuable.

It's a terrible deal, the rockets lose their backup center, their 6th man and and starting PF and perfect complementary piece next to Howard for payroll flexibility? While agree that's nice to have it shouldn't be at the cost of 3 important players in your rotation when your goal is a championship

tr3ymill3r
12-28-2013, 12:02 AM
I'd rather have a lineup of DWill, Harden, Parson, Jones and Dwight than Beverly, Harden, Parsons, Melo and Dwight.

c.c.
12-28-2013, 12:06 AM
It's a terrible deal, the rockets lose their backup center, their 6th man and and starting PF and perfect complementary piece next to Howard for payroll flexibility? While agree that's nice to have it shouldn't be at the cost of 3 important players in your rotation when your goal is a championship

Yeah we trying to contend this year not tank!

c.c.
12-28-2013, 12:16 AM
I'd rather have a lineup of DWill, Harden, Parson, Jones and Dwight than Beverly, Harden, Parsons, Melo and Dwight.

Agreed! Melo is way more expensive for one. Melo is gonna need touches, Jones doesn't need that many touches. He gets majority of his points off rebounds and fast breaks. Melo lacks of post defense, physical big men is gonna destroy him. He might put up a lot points but he gonna take shots away from Harden and Howard.

Cracka2HI!
12-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Asik deserves to play. It sucks seeing him sit. He's one of the best defensive C's in the game. It would seem a trade of him for a PF shouldn't be too tough. Not sure Atl would trade Milsap so fast but that would be the best move IMO. I'm not a Thad Young guy so I wouldn't do that but would love it for the Sixers. I've always thought Ryan Anderson makes the most sense but maybe he is too valuable with that shooting. Just seems weird that NO doesn't even start him and Davis thrives next to defensive Centers.

Saddletramp
12-28-2013, 12:41 AM

If Morey wants to just get rid of them then he can do better than 6 months of Deng. And I don't think Terrence Jones goes anywhere unless it helps land a stud pf.

mbsalame123
12-28-2013, 01:00 AM
The deal that I read online is a trade looking like this:

Houston gets:

Luol Deng
Marquis Teague
draft pick

Chicago gets:
Jeremy Lin
Demmarre Carrol
Elton Brand
draft pick

Atlanta gets:
Omer Asik

The trade even works on the trade machine. I think this trade is even for all teams. the rockets get a veteran expiring contract, a draft pick and a young point guard and just get rid of 2 players. They will have good enough cap space to sign someone like possibly melo or rudy gay in the summer or other big name free agents this summer.

The bulls get young talent in return as well in Carrol and Lin and get a draft pick with a veteran big man in brand.

The hawks get the center they need without giving up much. Horford would move to his natural position at power forward and then Paul Milsaap will get to play at the small forward position.

*Silver&Black*
12-28-2013, 02:59 AM
^ That looks more like it. Hawks can only pretty much give filler for Asik without destroying it's starting line-up too much to make a Asik trade meaningful. We need Teague/Korver/Millsap if you make that trade to keep yourselves in the playoffs. Horford might not return this season, which makes Millsap/Asik an audition for which one stays when Horford comes back. It would be easy to move Millsap over the summer to pretty much any team if needed with his contract.

Knicks21
12-28-2013, 03:38 AM
I actually don't mind Asik/Lin for D Will for Brooklyn if it involved picks being sent Brooklyns way.

Knicks21
12-28-2013, 03:43 AM
Agreed! Melo is way more expensive for one. Melo is gonna need touches, Jones doesn't need that many touches. He gets majority of his points off rebounds and fast breaks. Melo lacks of post defense, physical big men is gonna destroy him. He might put up a lot points but he gonna take shots away from Harden and Howard.
1. If by rebounds you mean second chance points than yes (hustle points), and Melo hardly ever runs the fast break all his points come from Woodsons stupid iso sets.
2. Eh he doesn't really. He will **** up your offence but he's defence is fine.

Knicks21
12-28-2013, 03:45 AM

I agree but D Wills ankle is an issue, the longevity of his career especially being a guard is in jeopardy.

shep33
12-28-2013, 04:22 AM
Pretty sure Houston has Chandler Parsons. Where does Deng fit in exactly?

thekmp211
12-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Pretty sure Houston has Chandler Parsons. Where does Deng fit in exactly?

maybe they are thinking of playing one or both at the four sometimes? otherwise yeah.

makes sense for the other two teams. deng is definitely a nice player, and if they get a first round pick that might be the selling point for morey. but you'd think they would prefer a big to another small forward.

Stunner
12-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Deng is a stretch 4 next to Howard , Nice size at 6'9 with a crazy wingspan . Just like Melo can play the 4 in some systems the same with Deng . The defense to finish games with Houston would be crazy except for the SG spot lol .

koreancabbage
12-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Deng is a stretch 4 next to Howard , Nice size at 6'9 with a crazy wingspan . Just like Melo can play the 4 in some systems the same with Deng . The defense to finish games with Houston would be crazy except for the SG spot lol .

LOL. Deng is not a PF. Melo can't even guard 4's. Deng's value comes most at the 3 - offensively and defensively. That being said, what happens to Parsons? This trade is not complete and is pure speculation

IAmARanger18
12-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Ughhh i'll pass on Lin

Stunner
12-28-2013, 01:47 PM
LOL. Deng is not a PF. Melo can't even guard 4's. Deng's value comes most at the 3 - offensively and defensively. That being said, what happens to Parsons? This trade is not complete and is pure speculation

Deng can play some 4 and can guard some some as well he's great defensively . And nothing would happen to Parsons he would start at the 3. Rockets seek like they want to go play small ball . Asik doesn't even play so basically it's Lin for Deng lol . It's funny how many say they want Young who is also a SF playing the PF spot based on the teams makeup . Both him and Deng are the same size .

Badluck33
12-28-2013, 01:50 PM
This makes zero cents.

Stunner
12-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Don't understand the Lin hate especially based off his production . 14.7 ppg 49% FG and 39% from the 3 in 29 mins of play . That's not bad . I'll still stand by my case you can see some of the NY Lin if he's in the backcourt as the Lead guard .

koreancabbage
12-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Deng can play some 4 and can guard some some as well he's great defensively . And nothing would happen to Parsons he would start at the 3. Rockets seek like they want to go play small ball . Asik doesn't even play so basically it's Lin for Deng lol . It's funny how many say they want Young who is also a SF playing the PF spot based on the teams makeup . Both him and Deng are the same size .

Deng isn't even 6'9'' lol he's probably close to 6'7'' he's the same height as Korver. Young is a little bigger. I think both have the same wingspan.

Stunner
12-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Deng isn't even 6'9'' lol he's probably close to 6'7'' he's the same height as Korver. Young is a little bigger. I think both have the same wingspan.

Not really , Deng is about the same height as Boozer and not that much shorter than Taj whose 6'10 . Deng is also a lil taller than Butler who is close to 6'8.

koreancabbage
12-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Not really , Deng is about the same height as Boozer and not that much shorter than Taj whose 6'10 . Deng is also a lil taller than Butler who is close to 6'8.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc500/pauk666/Untitled-1-2.png

http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/luol-deng-kyle-korver-2012-3-30-23-16-44.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EmcNYNJsVnE/TlnFoveEfmI/AAAAAAAAAqQ/r3dlNLnXjmo/s1600/Chicago+Bulls+legendary+players.jpgDeng next to 6'7" Piatkowski #52 (looks maybe an inch shorter)...

Stunner
12-28-2013, 02:27 PM
In the Kyle pic he looks about a lil taller than Kyle so about 6'8 , Thad Young listed as 6'7 in height with an half an inch shorter wingspan than Deng. Plus not to mention that old pic of Deng was when he was coming into the league , he was still growing at the age of 18 at the time . They have Thad Young listed at 6'5 barefoot . My mistake Deng is closer to 6'8 not 6'9 . Still even with that he's a very good rebounder and defender so it wouldn't even hurt him playing some 4 . He'll also have the ability to take most off the dribble and unclog the paint for Howard and Harden .

koreancabbage
12-28-2013, 02:38 PM
In the Kyle pic he looks about a lil taller than Kyle so about 6'8 , Thad Young listed as 6'7 in height with an half an inch shorter wingspan than Deng. Plus not to mention that old pic of Deng was when he was coming into the league , he was still growing at the age of 18 at the time . They have Thad Young listed at 6'5 barefoot . My mistake Deng is closer to 6'8 not 6'9 . Still even with that he's a very good rebounder and defender so it wouldn't even hurt him playing some 4 . He'll also have the ability to take most off the dribble and unclog the paint for Howard and Harden .

for sure, but his value is always guarding the Melos, Durants, and Lebron etc in this league. he'd do a lesser job if he faced off LA, Nowitzki, Griffin etc on a consistent basis.

Vinylman
12-28-2013, 03:12 PM
deng measured 6 8 with shoes at the predraft camp and 6 7 without shoes

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luol-Deng-2210/

c.c.
12-28-2013, 04:38 PM
1. If by rebounds you mean second chance points than yes (hustle points), and Melo hardly ever runs the fast break all his points come from Woodsons stupid iso sets.
2. Eh he doesn't really. He will **** up your offence but he's defence is fine.

I was talking about Jones not Melo

Shammyguy3
12-28-2013, 08:00 PM
deng measured 6 8 with shoes at the predraft camp and 6 7 without shoes

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luol-Deng-2210/

More importantly, Deng's wingspan is over 7 feet and his standing reach is over 9 feet. Height matters far less if you have crazy arm length. Deng would be a great stretch 4 (even though he's not a good 3 point shooter) for the Rockets and provide some solid mismatches while not giving up too much defensively if any at all.

b@llhog24
12-28-2013, 08:58 PM
More importantly, Deng's wingspan is over 7 feet and his standing reach is over 9 feet. Height matters far less if you have crazy arm length. Deng would be a great stretch 4 (even though he's not a good 3 point shooter) for the Rockets and provide some solid mismatches while not giving up too much defensively if any at all.

This.

5ass
12-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Agreed. Jones is not better defensively even at the 4.

Ty Fast
12-29-2013, 12:17 AM
bad trade for the bulls

Daze9900
12-29-2013, 01:05 AM
None of this makes sense. Lin would be a slight upgrade over Hinrich. I guess they need to move Deng if they're not going to offer him a new deal might as well get something in return.

RollingWave
12-29-2013, 11:44 AM
I'd say Lin would be more than a slight upgrade over Hirich but if your losing Deng what's the point, doesn't make sense for the Bulls anyway. except for maybe financial reasons, and there are plenty of other alternatives for that.

We could debate if this works for Houston or not it has some merit but one should note that Deng's numbers are trending the wrong way and his health is suspect, seems like a gamble, sure, they COULD do it, but you could easily just as well justify them not doing it, and in that case teams in where the Rockets are at usually don't just throw around random gambles.

Also, the vast majority of deals Morey pulls come without any warning, so if you hear a houston rumor you might as well throw it in the trash.

NBA-GMaster
12-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Asik to Boston
Lin and Sullinger to Chicago
Deng and protected 1st rd pick via Boston to Houston

benny01
12-30-2013, 03:28 AM
this makes zero sense for the bulls. If they wanted Lin's contract they would have matched Asik. Asik is the superior player. The bulls want picks and cap flexibility for Deng. They need money for Mirotic.

torocan
12-30-2013, 09:21 AM
this makes zero sense for the bulls. If they wanted Lin's contract they would have matched Asik. Asik is the superior player. The bulls want picks and cap flexibility for Deng. They need money for Mirotic.

The impact of the Asik contract at point of signing on the Bulls cap space is different that what it would be today.

While the contract remains $5/5/15M, the cap hit now for the Bulls would be $8.3/8.3/8.3 vs $5/5/15M at the original point of FA. Additionally, both the Asik and Lin contracts would be expiring going into next year. So the contract impact is markedly different, which would require a different calculus.

todu82
12-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Doubt Chicago does this. They already lost Rose for the year, why now trade Deng and get only Lin back?

torocan
12-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Doubt Chicago does this. They already lost Rose for the year, why now trade Deng and get only Lin back?

I don't think it's likely either, though if they did do it it would probably be part of a larger package for a young prospect or picks as well.

Wade n Fade
12-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Deng either gets dealt to a team like the Cavs, where I can see a package of Jarrett Jack and Dion Waiters going for him or he walks away from the Bulls at the end. Deng is playing really well for the Bulls and is a legit building piece since he's a decent offensive SF with good D. If I am the Bulls, amnestying Boozer is objective #1 in the offseason.

sep11ie
12-30-2013, 03:23 PM
I thought the amnesty option expired.

benny01
12-30-2013, 04:24 PM
The impact of the Asik contract at point of signing on the Bulls cap space is different that what it would be today.

While the contract remains $5/5/15M, the cap hit now for the Bulls would be $8.3/8.3/8.3 vs $5/5/15M at the original point of FA. Additionally, both the Asik and Lin contracts would be expiring going into next year. So the contract impact is markedly different, which would require a different calculus.
I didn't know that. Is the same true of Asik's contract? out of curiosity
Still it is not the kind deal that chicago is looking for. they want a young player and a pick. because of their cap situation I think if they don't that kind of deal they will let him walk at season's end

Saddletramp
12-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Boozer is still amnesty eligible as long as he's under that same contract. It's only to be used in the offseason, though.

benny01
12-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Deng either gets dealt to a team like the Cavs, where I can see a package of Jarrett Jack and Dion Waiters going for him or he walks away from the Bulls at the end. Deng is playing really well for the Bulls and is a legit building piece since he's a decent offensive SF with good D. If I am the Bulls, amnestying Boozer is objective #1 in the offseason.

It doesn't make sense to amnesty boozer without getting Deng and likely Gibson's contracts off the books. wihtout Deng and boozer they have 14mil or so, and without gibson 20-22mil
In both scenarios they can bring over mirotic (if he will come over) and try to bring in Grainger or if they get rid of Gibson they can consider talkingto Melo

mightybosstone
12-30-2013, 04:34 PM
I've seen a ton of "this makes no sense for Chicago," but what about from Houston's perspective? Why do they do this deal? I love Deng, but the guy isn't leaps and bounds better than Chandler Parsons, who is younger, cheaper and plays exactly the same position. It makes far less sense for Houston to deal Asik and their best offensive point guard in Lin for a player to share time with Parsons. The only way this deal works for the Rockets is if Parsons is on his way out (extremely unlikely) or if Morey and McHale think Parsons or Deng could play more of a stretch 4 role. I'm not sure I buy that...

torocan
12-30-2013, 11:50 PM
I didn't know that. Is the same true of Asik's contract? out of curiosity
Still it is not the kind deal that chicago is looking for. they want a young player and a pick. because of their cap situation I think if they don't that kind of deal they will let him walk at season's end

Asik and Lin have identical contracts, structured as $5/5/15M.

The loophole the Morey used was that the cap impact of the contract at point of signing would be different for the Rockets vs the Bulls and Knicks. At the point of signing, the cap hit would be $8.3/8.3/8.3M for the Rockets, but $5/5/15M for the Knicks and Bulls if they matched the offers. This was a significant factor in terms of why neither the Bulls or Knicks matched.

However, once the contract was signed for the Rockets, the Cap hit crystallized, or froze in time so to speak. It became $8.3/8.3/8.3M for the Rockets for both Lin and Asik, and would remain $8.3/8.3/8.3M no matter who assumes the contract now.

For example, in theory, the Rockets could have traded Lin or Asik back to the Bulls or Knicks at the mid-season deadline in the first year, and even though the paid salaries (pay checks) would be $5/5/15M, the actual cap hits would be $8.3/8.3/8.3M.

So, even though the actual pay checks cut remain the same as if the Bulls and Knicks matched, the actual cap hits are $6.6M less than if they had matched the original offers from the Rockets.

Given that the Rockets have free cap space, they are able to get back 150% of outgoing salary.

So, in theory the Bulls could do a straight up trade of Lin + Ronnie Brewer for Deng ($8.375M + $1.186M going out, $14.312M coming in), and even though the actual pay checks to the players would go up ($14.9M for Lin + Brewer expiring) the actual cost to the Bulls would actually not be that bad.

The Bulls would immediately shed $5.4M in spending above the cap, on top of direct salary savings this year of $8M since Lin is actually only being paid $5M this year.

The Bulls are currently at a salary cap expenditure of $22M over the cap ($58M), or $10M over the luxury tax threshold ($70M). So they are paying the following in luxury tax...

First $5M - $7.5M
Next $5M - $8.75M

Total - $16.25M

So Lin + Brewer on the roster this year would reduce the paid taxes by $4.6M ($8.75M ($5-10M threshold) + $600K ($400k under $5M threshold))/2 plus $4.4M in direct salary savings, or close to $9M this year alone.

The $9M in tax + salary savings alone covers a significant portion of Lin's salary ($14.9M) for next year, and the Bulls would be looking at increasing their salary cap hit over next year by only $4.3M if they kept Lin next year vs re-signing Hinrich and didn't renew Brewer. Given that the Bulls only have $64M in guaranteed salaries for next year, Lin replacing Hinrich would not put them over the luxury tax threshold before filling out the roster and Lin would be tradable as an $8.3M expiring either over the off season or at the mid-season trade deadline.

Anyway, still unlikely that they make the trade but the financial machinations of the CBA and luxury taxes makes the decision a little more muddy than if Lin's (or Asik's) contract had been matched at the point of original offer by the Rockets.

Just some stuff to think about.

thekmp211
12-31-2013, 12:29 AM
deng would not survive in the playoffs against the size in the west. it just doesn't make a lot of sense from the rockets perspective.

stlbest5in2013
12-31-2013, 12:36 AM

uh to tank and get into the lotto

benny01
12-31-2013, 02:13 AM
thanks for the info. it makes it slightly more palatable, but in that case i think that asik would have more value. agree that I still don't think it happens

benny01
12-31-2013, 02:24 AM
I've seen a ton of "this makes no sense for Chicago," but what about from Houston's perspective? Why do they do this deal? I love Deng, but the guy isn't leaps and bounds better than Chandler Parsons, who is younger, cheaper and plays exactly the same position. It makes far less sense for Houston to deal Asik and their best offensive point guard in Lin for a player to share time with Parsons. The only way this deal works for the Rockets is if Parsons is on his way out (extremely unlikely) or if Morey and McHale think Parsons or Deng could play more of a stretch 4 role. I'm not sure I buy that...
totally agree that it would make for a sticky situation. Deng would be very valuable for a title run he is about as versatile defender as you will find, but he isn't a 4 not even a stretch 4. He is a tweener 4. If Deng or Parsons would be willing to play starter minutes off the bench it would be a good problem to have.

RollingWave
12-31-2013, 05:16 AM
totally agree that it would make for a sticky situation. Deng would be very valuable for a title run he is about as versatile defender as you will find, but he isn't a 4 not even a stretch 4. He is a tweener 4. If Deng or Parsons would be willing to play starter minutes off the bench it would be a good problem to have.

I think the bigger issue would be that this could work but it's unlikely to work in just half a season, and the rockets are unlikely to hold on to Deng after this year.

they need a guy they can hold on to longer, or they're just valuing him as an expiring, and obviously the Bulls don't value Deng as just an expiring.

quade36
12-31-2013, 09:09 AM
So financially this makes absolutely no sense for the Bulls especially if they are giving up on this season. Why would they take on a contract which would continue to keep them over the salary cap? If they make this trade that will mean they won't have enough money to bring Mirotic over on a MLE. From the Bulls perspective they have one of two options. Let Deng play out and either sign him to a lesser contract or let him walk. Or trade Deng for an equal expiring contract where they could then get even more salary cap relief.

I saw people write that Lin would only be 8.3 mil against the cap but this is also Reinsdorf we are talking about. Plus Mirotic is the prize offseason acquisition why would they put themselves in a position to not be able to bring him over for Jeremy Lin?

ChiSox219
12-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Deng would make a really good stretch 4, he's so similar to Shane Battier only Deng is stronger and more athletic. I mean the guy is regularly matched up with Lebron and the only PF in the west that is similar would be Blake but there's always Terrence Jones off the bench to help.

torocan
12-31-2013, 11:01 AM
So financially this makes absolutely no sense for the Bulls especially if they are giving up on this season. Why would they take on a contract which would continue to keep them over the salary cap? If they make this trade that will mean they won't have enough money to bring Mirotic over on a MLE. From the Bulls perspective they have one of two options. Let Deng play out and either sign him to a lesser contract or let him walk. Or trade Deng for an equal expiring contract where they could then get even more salary cap relief.

I saw people write that Lin would only be 8.3 mil against the cap but this is also Reinsdorf we are talking about. Plus Mirotic is the prize offseason acquisition why would they put themselves in a position to not be able to bring him over for Jeremy Lin?

If Deng walks for $0, the Bulls are still over the salary cap ($64M vs $62M estimated cap) and the Bulls get no assets back for Deng. So it still wouldn't clear any significant cap space without exercising an amnesty on Boozer.

So it will still take multiple moves to get them enough cap space to make any real plays in FA even if Deng walks for nothing.

benny01
01-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Deng would make a really good stretch 4, he's so similar to Shane Battier only Deng is stronger and more athletic. I mean the guy is regularly matched up with Lebron and the only PF in the west that is similar would be Blake but there's always Terrence Jones off the bench to help.
I wouldn't call Battier a stretch 4 either. I would consider them 3's who situationally play the 4. I wouldn't want to start either of them as a 4 for an entire season. LBJ is a bad example because his position is really dictated by what you want to call the guys around him. He's a 4 by name only. how many power forward bring the ball up the court and start offensive sets.

DR_1
01-01-2014, 02:20 PM
No way the Bulls do this. I'd rather let Deng walk than get only Lin back for him.