PDA

View Full Version : Player with the most number of shots blocked

force_within
12-27-2013, 02:07 AM
While I was watching a video of the top 10 blocks in 2013, I actually wondered if which players get his shots swated the most? Do the NBA keep stats for that or are there any other source?
I also wondered which players was stolen with the ball most and which player was posterized the most?

Nick O
12-27-2013, 02:11 AM
overall no idea. but i doubt that anyone has a larger percentage of their shots blocked than Rubio

ChildishGambino
12-27-2013, 02:17 AM
overall no idea. but i doubt that anyone has a larger percentage of their shots blocked than Rubio

Evan Turner might have something to say about that haha

JasonJohnHorn
12-27-2013, 02:41 AM
When I played ball in grade school and high school, getting your shot blocked was ultimate way of showing up a player, likely in part because nobody I played with could dunk. But getting by a guy for a lay up or dunk, doesn't seem as insulting as getting your shot blocked. I always relished the moment when I blocked somebody.

The NBA does keep track of how many time you get your shot blocked. If you look up box scores on NBA.com, the category labelled 'BA" is the number of times a guy gets blocked.

The first year they kept track, guys like James, Melo and Kobe were getting blocked the most, I think Kobe was at the top, but I'm not sure what the percentage was. That stat doesn't show up on with their averages.

I was excited to see them keeping track of it at first, but it has turned out to be a pretty useless stat since it counts for a missed FG anyways.

Chrisclover
12-27-2013, 03:23 AM
Kobe will be a lock of all -time 1st of being blocked.Now he is the 4th all time scorer and the players ahead are Kareem, Malone and Jordan.I think Kobe has surpassed them ,and my reasons are as follows .
Firstly ,it is easy to say that guards get blocked much more easily than big men, since guards have more jumpshots whereas big men tend to lay up and dunk which are harder to block. So now we can rule Kareem and Malone out.
Secondly, Jordan
1) played fewer games and more selective about his shots ,so he was blocked less .and
2)what can not be ignored is that back in 90s, the average defense level around the league wasnt as rock -solid as now(Nowadays big men are mainly used as defensive anchors,so you dont see too many Howard-type guys who can score ),so Jordan was facing less intense defense,therefore was blocked less.

Kobe is a crazy guy who likes to take shots no matter he is hot or cold that night because he is super confident that the next shot will fall.
So without searching stats, I am pretty sure he is and will be for a long time, the player who has been blocked the most .Take a look at the superstars who are chasing him, KD and LBJ, they are more efficient and they are younger. So I believe that at least for a decade, Kobe will remain this spot.
Correct me if I am wrong:wink:

SugeKnight
12-27-2013, 03:58 AM
It's probably David Lee. The combination of him being undersized, below average leaping ability, and his refusal to pump fake makes him get blocked at least twice a game.

Deandre got like 4 on him last night

SMH!
12-27-2013, 05:12 AM
Evan Turner

force_within
12-27-2013, 05:30 AM
The NBA does keep track of how many time you get your shot blocked. If you look up box scores on NBA.com, the category labelled 'BA" is the number of times a guy gets blocked.

I have no idea that that's what BA means. I actually thought that it means "Block Attempt" and the number of times the guy attempted to block the shooter. lol, sorry if I'm that idiot.

force_within
12-27-2013, 05:36 AM
I believe that Tiago Splitter is a strong candidate..the guy is so slow to put the ball inside the rim..lol, sorry Spurs fan.

force_within
12-27-2013, 05:46 AM
I actually found a website that records those stats...Greg Monroe was no. 1 during the 2012-2013 season.

Greg Monroe 120
James Harden 112
Ty Lawson 108
DeMarcus Cousins 106
Tristan Thompson 106

http://www.hoopdata.com/scoringstats.aspx?team=%25&type=tot&posi=%25&yr=2013&gp=0&mins=20

mdm692
12-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Kobe will be a lock .Now he is the 4th all time scorer and the player ahead are Kareem, Malone and Jordan. Easy to say that guards get blocked much more easily than big men, since guards have more jumpshots whereas big men tend to lay up and dunk which are harder to block. So now we can rule Kareem and Malone out. Secondly, Jordan played fewer games and more selective about his shots and what can not be ignored is that back in 90s, the average defense level around the league wasnt as rock -solid as now(Nowadays big men are mainly used as defensive anchors,so you dont see too many Howard-type guys who can score ),so Jordan was facing less intense defense.
Kobe is a crazy guy who likes to take shots no matter he is hot or cold that night because he is super confident that the next shot will fall.
So without searching stats, I am pretty sure he is and will be for a long time, the player who missed the most shots .Take a look at the superstars who are chasing him, KD and LBJ, they are more efficient and they are younger. So I believe that at least for a decade, Kobe will remain this spot.
Correct me if I am wrong:wink:

You really must have 0 clue about this topic because facts point to the exact opposite lol.

blahblahyoutoo
12-27-2013, 10:22 AM
i've seen melo stuffed at the rim several times now while trying to dunk. he just has zero lift.

Chrisclover
12-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Sorry ,I deviate from my initial idea because I didnt take time to review my post .
My whole argument is based on the fact that
1)guards take more shots ,so they are prone to be blocked more .
2) jumpshots are easier to be blocked than layups and dunks which are the major offensive methods of the PF and C.

So I think Kobe, who has taken many jumpshots, has been blocked the most

You really must have 0 clue about this topic because facts point to the exact opposite lol.

colinskik
12-27-2013, 10:59 AM
When Amare plays he usually gets blocked.

If Dos Equis man were to say that it would go, "I don't always play, but when i do, I get my ***** blocked."

blahblahyoutoo
12-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Sorry ,I deviate from my initial idea because I didnt take time to review my post .
My whole argument is based on the fact that
1)guards take more shots ,so they are prone to be blocked more .
2) jumpshots are easier to be blocked than layups and dunks which are the major offensive methods of the PF and C.

So I think Kobe, who has taken many jumpshots, has been blocked the most

what??? those aren't facts.
1. a position has no bearing on who takes more shots. definitely not a fact.
2. can't prove this but I see a whole lot more shots being blocked in the paint than jumpers.

krrys11
12-27-2013, 11:35 AM
2. can't prove this but I see a whole lot more shots being blocked in the paint than jumpers.

I am with you on no 2. Its easier to block a lay up than a shot....What is more possible blocking Dirk's Layup or Fade away ?

The only reason guards would get blocked more often is size disadvantage. But then again if you are 6'10 Center you have this same problem when you go against 7'2 guy.

mdm692
12-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Actually if you take a quick look at that link provided above by our fellow poster you can see that the top 10 year in year out is composed mainly of PF/C's or wing players who spend a large part of their time in the paint(i.e. Melo).

ThuglifeJ
12-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Dudley I heard once from an announcer

ThuglifeJ
12-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I take that back not dudley, Glen Davis does or did.

Forsure big baby

Nick O
12-27-2013, 05:30 PM
I actually found a website that records those stats...Greg Monroe was no. 1 during the 2012-2013 season.

Greg Monroe 120
James Harden 112
Ty Lawson 108
DeMarcus Cousins 106
Tristan Thompson 106

http://www.hoopdata.com/scoringstats.aspx?team=%25&type=tot&posi=%25&yr=2013&gp=0&mins=20

120 ... how the hell does that happen??? but harden makes sense. he also takes alot of shots. id be more interested to see %%

IndyRealist
12-27-2013, 05:47 PM
The NBA keeps track in their basic box score, under "BA" for blocked attempts I believe.

As for who gets blocked the most, it's gotta be big men by a mile. Wing players, especially jump shooters, are rarely challenged by shot blockers. Only wings who live in the lane (like Ty Lawson mentioned on the list) get a significant number of their shots swatted.

IndyRealist
12-27-2013, 05:50 PM
120 ... how the hell does that happen??? but harden makes sense. he also takes alot of shots. id be more interested to see %%
If you follow the link, you can sort it by %. It's Anthony Davis (MIA), Reggie Evans, MKG, Austin Rivers, and Omer Asik.

EDIT: Those numbers are from last year, and Miami's Anthony Davis played 1 game.

SeoulBeatz
12-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Evan Turner might have something to say about that haha

I 2nd that. It's gotta be Evan lol.

Can someone pull up the stats of % of shots blocked and FG% at the rim for Evan and Ricky??

I'm very intrigued by this.

ThuglifeJ
12-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Glen "Big Baby" Davis gets the most percentage of his shots blocks in the NBA. I remember them saying this on ESPN when he got stuffed like 3 shots in a row.

rapjuicer06
12-27-2013, 06:14 PM
While I was watching a video of the top 10 blocks in 2013, I actually wondered if which players get his shots swated the most? Do the NBA keep stats for that or are there any other source?
I also wondered which players was stolen with the ball most and which player was posterized the most?

Shawn Bradley

Shlumpledink
12-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Kobe rarely gets blocked, it has to be a bigman, shots in the paint are what get blocked the most, not jump shooters

force_within
12-27-2013, 08:15 PM
EDIT: Those numbers are from last year, and Miami's Anthony Davis played 1 game.

wait, what? anthony davis played for Miami? that's one helluva team.

force_within
12-27-2013, 08:21 PM

yeah, IndyRealist got it right..Davis should be exempted since he only played 2 games last season, which means my boy Tiago Splitter is in the top 5. lol

Anthony Davis 20.0
Reggie Evans 18.7
Michael Kidd.Gilchrist 15.8
Austin Rivers 14.6
Omer Asik 14.6
Tiago Splitter 13.7

force_within
12-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Can someone pull up the stats of % of shots blocked and FG% at the rim for Evan and Ricky??
GP Blkd %Blkd
Ricky Rubio 57 53 10.3
Evan Turner 82 82 7.8

Turner was blocked 29 times more than Rubio since he played all games while Ricky only played 57 times. But if we take a look at the %blkd, Ricky will definitely have the higher number of blocked shots.

as for the FG% at the rim
Ricky Rubio 44.4
Evan Turner 59.5

Turner still edges Rubio, and Ricky's name was among on the last. poor Ricky.