PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought. Could KG still find his way to the Clippers?

Cracka2HI!
12-26-2013, 11:43 PM
This isn't a rumor just a thought I had. It doesn't look like it's going to work out in Brooklyn. I say that with no intention of this thread being about Brooklyn in any way. I mean no disrespect to their fans. Would the Nets be better off buying out Garnett? He looks like he's shot. He's one of the biggest reasons for their struggles IMO. I think he may even have some trade value to a bad team looking for salary relief thinking he would retire or accept a buyout. He may accept a hefty buy out for a shot to play for a contender again...especially if that contender were the Clippers and Doc Rivers.

I'm not even sure if this can happen. I know the league blocked the Clippers and Boston from making any trades but I don't think they have or can block a Free Agent from signing with the Clippers. So for the sake of the thread let's assume the Clippers can sign KG if were to become a FA unless someone can prove me wrong. I couldn't find it. Brooklyn fans any chance you guys buy him out or trade him for low value? Sorry to make another Clipper thread but I actually think this is an interesting idea that could possibly happen.

king4day
12-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Not a chance in hell they buy him out. They gave up way too much to get him. They will milk him for, at the very least, jersey sales.
If they can't trade him, just hang onto him.

Riodagoat
12-27-2013, 12:13 AM
Interesting. I know the league can block a trade, but I don't know any rule preventing a player from signing with any team they want.

However, Garnett buyout will never happen. A contending team will be willing to trade for him even if he only plays 15-20 min a game. Although he would probably retire if he gets traded again.

In short, Garnett to Clippers will never happen.

elledaddy
12-27-2013, 12:31 AM
The league couldnt block a KG trade to LAC unless they determined that Boston was also involved somehow.( I mean they can technically do what they want) but they would have no grounds to veto or block.

b@llhog24
12-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Was going to say why would you even want him till I remember that the Clips FC depth is pretty bad.

king4day
12-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Come to think of it, didn't they say after getting Rivers that the Clips weren't allowed to acquire KG or Pierce this season? Not sure what limitations were in place but I imagine it was a no go regardless.

Cracka2HI!
12-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Come to think of it, didn't they say after getting Rivers that the Clips weren't allowed to acquire KG or Pierce this season? Not sure what limitations were in place but I imagine it was a no go regardless.I'm pretty sure the limitation is the Clippers and Boston can't make a trade of any kind for 1 year. I'm not sure tho. I googled it and that's the closest thing to an answer I found. I don't think the league could possibly block a FA from signing with a team.

Chrisclover
12-27-2013, 01:16 AM
Last year, we were talking about the longevity of KG and Duncan. But now. Duncan remains high level of playing whereas KG falls off drastically. What the hell is happening ?Time for him to be a role player ?

jimm120
12-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Last year, we were talking about the longevity of KG and Duncan. But now. Duncan remains high level of playing whereas KG falls off drastically. What the hell is happening ?Time for him to be a role player ?

Staying within your usual system helps you. Taking out a diminishing player from his normal system/routine will make it harder to get the most out of him.

Chronz
12-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Been hoping for this ever since the Nets began sucking

Rockice_8
12-27-2013, 04:24 PM
They could probably do an under the table deal like this.

LAC trades: Jordan, Barnes, Dudley, Green and a 1st for Pierce, Blatche, Teletovic, Anderson

then Nets agree to buy out KG and he signs with them with Pierce and Doc and LAC goes for the chip.

LAC gets their two guys KG/PP and adds some much needed frontcourt depth with Blatche/Teletovic and Anderson replaces Barnes.

Steal for LAC if you ask me. Nets get ready for next season with a nice frontcourt of Jordan/Lopez.

Chronz
12-27-2013, 04:24 PM
We arent trading DJ at this point. Not with how much better hes looked than KG

Rockice_8
12-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Yeah but you have to give up something to get something. It's not just KG for Jordan. You're getting Pierce/Blatche etc which helps your bench and give you two bigs who can hit a FT down the stretch (KG/Blatche).

The Nets aren't just cutting KG for nothing just so he can go help another team.

Chronz
12-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Yeah but you have to give up something to get something.
But KG is suppose to be the piece we want, adding peripheral players when we are looking to fill a need behind DJ does nothing for us, why would we target KG but give up the best player in the deal? We aren't looking to drastically alter the makeup of the team. Well thats what I would hope the Clips are doing. This time last year I was all for making that kind of trade.

It's not just KG for Jordan. You're getting Pierce/Blatche etc which helps your bench and give you two bigs who can hit a FT down the stretch (KG/Blatche).
Pierce hasn't looked good, Blatche+Blake isn't my idea of a great defensive pairing. The benefits of a better bench just dont offset the costs of DJ's superior D with the starters

I know Blatche has great stats and hes an intriguing piece but I just dont trust his numbers to translate on this current team. Maybe Im wrong and he would be worth the gamble so I get that.

The Nets aren't just cutting KG for nothing just so he can go help another team.
Well one things for sure, KG aint going anywhere without his say so. If they cant trade him and the season is lost, why not just save the money? I know its a longshot but its my only hope.

Rockice_8
12-27-2013, 04:55 PM
But KG is suppose to be the piece we want, adding peripheral players when we are looking to fill a need behind DJ does nothing for us, why would we target KG but give up the best player in the deal? We aren't looking to drastically alter the makeup of the team. Well thats what I would hope the Clips are doing. This time last year I was all for making that kind of trade.

Pierce hasn't looked good, Blatche+Blake isn't my idea of a great defensive pairing. The benefits of a better bench just dont offset the costs of DJ's superior D with the starters

I know Blatche has great stats and hes an intriguing piece but I just dont trust his numbers to translate on this current team. Maybe Im wrong and he would be worth the gamble so I get that.

Well one things for sure, KG aint going anywhere without his say so. If they cant trade him and the season is lost, why not just save the money? I know its a longshot but its my only hope.

Yeah it would be a big shake up mid season but PP/KG should translate well to Doc's system so hopefully it wouldn't be too crazy a change. I also don't see you guys as serious contenders so I think this move could give you guys the boost to maybe get into the conversation. It would only make sense for you guys if you agreed that it makes you contenders otherwise it's a short sighted move with the older players.

True it's not a great defensive frontcourt at all but KG would probably start and Blatche would stick to his bench role. Blatche is a very good player with a great touch around the rim. He'd give you that 3rd big you desperately need. The rest is easily replaced so really it's DJ and the late 1st for PP/KG/Blatche as the main pieces. I agree DJ is probably the most valuable piece but it's the total package (and some influence from DOC) that I would hope would sway LAC into the trade.

Seems reasonably fair for both sides at least. It's not a no brainer for LAC but I think it would certainly make them overall a better team this year. Yeah the money angle doesn't really work so much with the Nets. It don't matter much to them. If KG didn't want to be traded then they'd probably just let him retire at the end of the year.

hugepatsfan
12-27-2013, 05:06 PM

And you guys shouldn't trade DJ for KG at this point. I just don't see how else you guys could work a deal out though with KG's salary being what it is. The only way it's at all feasible for this year is if he gets bought out and I don't really see BRK being willing to do that. They don't even have a first round pick so it's not like they would do it with the idea of being worse to better their draft position. They'll just keep him to avoid the negative press associated with admitting what a colossal mistake they made.

Cracka2HI!
12-27-2013, 11:34 PM
This thread is going much better than I thought! The Clippers can't trade for KG. DJ won't be traded right now. He is playing great D and has always has HUGE upside. He could be DPOY someday soon and maintain it for half a decade. I'd love for the Clippers to have pieces to make a KG deal but they don't. They'd have to trade all their depth or like others have said DJ. Either trade would make the team much worse.

That's why the purpose of this thread is to discuss the possibility of KG being bought out. I agree that it doesn't make much if any sense for the Brooklyn to just let him go. However if he agreed to a buyout of like $10($3 this year, $7 next) million maybe they would. That's something like $25-30 mil in the luxury tax world. I know most PSD posters think $25 million is nothing to some of these owners but $25 million is enough money to at least pique the interest of any billionaire.

The most likely outcome if he were to be bought out would be a trade to a bad team that would expect him to retire or agree to a large buyout to save money. That scenario while unlikely would not be crazy at all. This type of thing used to happen a lot when teams were able to re-sign players they traded after 30 days. You don't see it much anymore but the Nets don't seem to mind large contracts and bad teams often try to move them.

Heediot
12-28-2013, 10:24 AM
KG to the Clippers is the missing link. He can take up both backup frontcourt positions. He can easily get 25 plus minutes per. Pipe dream and long shot at this point, but not entirely impossible.