PDA

View Full Version : Will the NY Rangers make the playoffs in 2013-2014?

SLY WILLIAMS
12-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Will the NY Rangers make the playoffs in 2013-2014?

Yes? No? Why?

fingerbang
12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
They better. The East isn't all that good.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-26-2013, 03:29 PM
They better. The East isn't all that good.

I suspect many fans feel the same way but that was not really a firm answer. I should have answered myself though to be fair.

I say they will make the playoffs but like most years it may come down to the last weeks/games of the season to be sure. We usually are around the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th slots. The reasons why I would say we will make the playoffs is I see talent in McD, Hags, Stepan, Mats, Staal, Nash, Brass, Cakky, Girardi, Brad, etc.

My main fears for not making the playoffs are our inconsitent goaltending, a lack of a real policeman, and injuries to Staal, Nash, & Cally

Redfish
12-26-2013, 04:43 PM
I anticipate this team making the playoffs because:

a) they are on the cusp right now;
b) the team should not have nearly as many challenges (namely injuries, new style of play and coaches getting to know their players) to deal with the remainder of season; and
c) Lundqvist should recapture his lost form.

I do wonder, though, if striving to finish as a 6th through 8th playoff seed is better than not making the playoffs and trading assets (Girardi, Del Zotto & Boyle) for draft picks.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-26-2013, 04:59 PM
I anticipate this team making the playoffs because:

a) they are on the cusp right now;
b) the team should not have nearly as many challenges (namely injuries, new style of play and coaches getting to know their players) to deal with the remainder of season; and
c) Lundqvist should recapture his lost form.

I do wonder, though, if striving to finish as a 6th through 8th playoff seed is better than not making the playoffs and trading assets (Girardi, Del Zotto & Boyle) for draft picks.

Is it possible we do both (trades and make the playoffs)?

Guys like Boyle, Moore, and MDZ have been benched at times. Cally has been injured. Does their possible absense mean we will not make the playoffs?

If Miller plays well that might make it eaiser to move a forward or two.

MJL80
12-26-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm honestly on the fence about this team making the playoffs. We have been the definition of inconsistency up to this point. I know we have a new coach, a new system, the injury bug has bitten us big time, Hank hasn't been on his game, etc etc but I just don't feel the same energy than from previous years. There's no grit and no identity with this team yet. In fact, I don't recall a game this season where we didn't come out rolling from the drop of the puck to the end. It's always a crappy period, a great period, another crappy period it feels like.

I have to see more from this team before I guess whether or not they're a playoff team, but right now I guess I'd say we're just on the outside. It's a shame too, bc the east is weak this year outside of Pit and Bos.

metswon69
12-26-2013, 06:00 PM
I have to see more from this team before I guess whether or not they're a playoff team, but right now I guess I'd say we're just on the outside. It's a shame too, bc the east is weak this year outside of Pit and Bos.

I think that right there suggests the Rangers are probably a playoff team. The East is weak and the Rangers have enough talent to string together a playoff run, presumably as a lower seed.

Depends on what happens with this Lundqvist/Talbot situation. Even after giving Lundqvist all that money, if he continues to under perform I expect Talbot to get more starts and so far they have been much better with him in net than Lundqvist.

Redfish
12-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Is it possible we do both (trades and make the playoffs)?

Guys like Boyle, Moore, and MDZ have been benched at times. Cally has been injured. Does their possible absense mean we will not make the playoffs?

If Miller plays well that might make it eaiser to move a forward or two.

It is quite possible we both trade players, and make the playoffs. One should serve the other, right?

Packaging Boyle and Del Zotto might bring back something of good value, I would think.

JT Miller could prove pivotal the second half of this season, in that if he continues to play well, it gives Sather that added flexibility you eluded to.

What about Cam Talbot? Back-up goalies can be replaced, but there are teams looking for a young starting goalie. Obviously, right now, Talbot is going nowhere, but Hank will be in net for the next 4-5 years so eventually he will be anxious to become a starter somewhere.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-27-2013, 12:10 PM
]It is quite possible we both trade players, and make the playoffs. One should serve the other, right?
[/B]
Packaging Boyle and Del Zotto might bring back something of good value, I would think.

JT Miller could prove pivotal the second half of this season, in that if he continues to play well, it gives Sather that added flexibility you eluded to.

What about Cam Talbot? Back-up goalies can be replaced, but there are teams looking for a young starting goalie. Obviously, right now, Talbot is going nowhere, but Hank will be in net for the next 4-5 years so eventually he will be anxious to become a starter somewhere.

A trade could help us make the playoffs this season, or it could hurt, or have no effect. Just depends on if we get players, prospects or draft picks back.

I think we could make some trades for our future (prospects/draft choices) but still sneak in to the playoffs.

Regarding Cam as a undrafted guy I think he is just enjoying his time so far in the NHL. I can not say how he will play or what he will want in the future though.

Yankee Clipper
12-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Not sold yet. If they do, I'm expecting nothing higher than the 6 seed.

nyr2002nyr
12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Enter Jim Mora "Playoffs" rant here ___________________________________

bsi
12-27-2013, 11:23 PM
In any other division they wouldnt have a chance.

SLY WILLIAMS
12-28-2013, 12:25 PM

LOL we need a firm answer :)

bsi
12-28-2013, 12:43 PM

LOL we need a firm answer :)

Haha...ya they will make it, I think Hank regains his focus before the olympics.

NYSPORTS98
12-29-2013, 10:17 AM
No, they'll miss the playoffs.

The four line/four wheel drive team which almost won the Presidents Trophy is gone. The team had a young nucleus including many young defenseman obtained by drafts and trades. The problem with the organization is it continually fails to draft their own elite forwards who can score. It's always been the issue dating back to the 80's. (please don't tell me Kovalev b/c he skated around for months his head up his ***).

I endorsed the Nash trade but it obviously killed this team. Adding Richards was another asinine move added to laundry list dating back almost 20 years of obtaining talent elsewhere and having it fail. Only Jagr was competent and it was obvious the whole roster leaned on his shot as everybody passed to him.

Enough lipstick on a pig. Let's face it, the Garden teams are run like ****.