PDA

View Full Version : Hanging on the rim technicals?

Nick O
12-25-2013, 07:53 PM
i know complaint threads about these guys gets old. but i dont get it. I have seen players in this league get a tech for hanging on the rim a half second too long after a dunk. Lebron just hung on to the rim for literally 7 or 8 seconds after his dunk. and there was no technical foul. that goes beyond star treatment. the look on lebrons face was like he knew he can get away with anything he feels like. can someone explain this to me because i dont get it

Lakers + Giants
12-25-2013, 07:56 PM
It's christmas, stop it.

He wasn't taunting or anything. Should it have been a tech by league rules? yes

Does it matter? **** no.

Lakers + Giants
12-25-2013, 07:57 PM
I will say this tho, JVG said, if Xavier Henry did that it would've been a tech no doubt. I agree :laugh2:

Lebron's just feeling comfortable and enjoying the new rims he's going to have next year, that guaranteed he'll be a laker.

Wade#Heat
12-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Lol

Nick O
12-25-2013, 08:06 PM
I will say this tho, JVG said, if Xavier Henry did that it would've been a tech no doubt. I agree :laugh2:

Lebron's just feeling comfortable and enjoying the new rims he's going to have next year, that guaranteed he'll be a laker.

well thats the part that annoys me.. they dont call it fine. but if Henry dunks and does it they better not call it on him or hell anyone else in the NBA either

Htownballa1622
12-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Honestly, I think it has more to do with the fact that they called a timeout.

Just my opinion. :shrug:

Nick O
12-25-2013, 08:15 PM

he was on it for a solid 5 seconds before a timeout was called

IndyRealist
12-25-2013, 08:30 PM
It's christmas, stop it.

He wasn't taunting or anything. Should it have been a tech by league rules? yes

Does it matter? **** no.
It was absolutely taunting. He had zero reason to hang on the rim except to show off.

The ONLY reason I can see a tech not called is because there was an immediate timeout called by the Lakers.

Htownballa1622
12-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Maybe they anticipated the t.o. like they sometimes do. I have no idea then.

Slug3
12-25-2013, 08:47 PM
I don't really get why hanging on the rim should be a tech.

shep33
12-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Yeah it should've been, but who cares.

IndyRealist
12-25-2013, 08:53 PM

It's unsportsman-like conduct. The NBA wants to minimize the amount of fights that happen, and eliminating taunting keeps egos from getting too bruised.

naps
12-25-2013, 08:54 PM
They called timeout. Pay attention to game more closely next time. You wouldn't create these threads for attention if you did.

Nick O
12-25-2013, 08:55 PM
They called timeout. Pay attention to game more closely next time. You wouldn't create these threads for attention if you did.

lol nice troll. i think ive created maybe 4 or 5 threads this whole year.

GottaLoveCubs
12-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Should have been a tech. Annoying as hell it wasn't just because its Lebron. If Artest was still on the team, that would have started a fight guaranteed.

THE MTL
12-25-2013, 09:49 PM

I don't know what game you were watching but timeout was called right away.

Plus your solid 5 seconds argument doesn't work because you have 5 seconds to inbound the ball.

Minimal
12-25-2013, 10:08 PM
I think you get a tech for game delay in that situation, but as there was timeout called, there was no "game delay" really.

archdevil84
12-25-2013, 10:12 PM
i dont think lebron hung on the rim to taunt anyone at all, he anticipated the timeout and just relaxed and enjoyed hanging on the rim for a few seconds, maybe it should be a tech but cmon should it realy BE a tech?

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Timeout was called immediately.

Nice troll attempt.
2/10

Mods can close this any second.

Nick O
12-25-2013, 10:33 PM

Nice troll attempt.
2/10

really? so the announcers are trolls too huh? cause they said EXACTLY the same thing.. that he should have been tech'd .. ill send a message to the NBA to quit trolling ;)

Nick O
12-25-2013, 10:34 PM
i dont think lebron hung on the rim to taunt anyone at all, he anticipated the timeout and just relaxed and enjoyed hanging on the rim for a few seconds, maybe it should be a tech but cmon should it realy BE a tech?

no it shouldnt. i dont like hanging on the rim techs. but the fact that if it were someone else besides lebron who had done it would have been T'd is the part thats annoying. and its true. he shouldn t be above the game of basketball no matter how great he is

Sadds The Gr8
12-25-2013, 10:44 PM
no it shouldnt. i dont like hanging on the rim techs. but the fact that if it were someone else besides lebron who had done it would have been T'd is the part thats annoying. and its true. he shouldn t be above the game of basketball no matter how great he is

this.

FlashBolt
12-25-2013, 10:48 PM

Nice troll attempt.
2/10

really? so the announcers are trolls too huh? cause they said EXACTLY the same thing.. that he should have been tech'd .. ill send a message to the NBA to quit trolling ;)

What the hell does announcers have anything to do with this? Jeff van Gundy is a huge troll and let me guess; you believe everything Charles Barkley says. The fact is it was a timeout and if you noticed the entire game, refs were not calling much of anything because it was Christmas. Stop being a hardheaded hater and a child.

Nick O
12-25-2013, 10:56 PM
What the hell does announcers have anything to do with this? Jeff van Gundy is a huge troll and let me guess; you believe everything Charles Barkley says. The fact is it was a timeout and if you noticed the entire game, refs were not calling much of anything because it was Christmas. Stop being a hardheaded hater and a child.

actually i despise charles barkely and dont really watch them very often. but im not the only who thinks it would be a T and as for being a hater i generally cheer for miami. although thats due to Bosh. im not hating lebron. im hating on the fact that only he can seem to get away with stuff.

Swashcuff
12-25-2013, 11:17 PM
I swear its only when LeBron/Kobe/Melo/Dwight does something like this people take notice and have an issue with it but when its DJ, Sanders, Favors etc the masses are mum about it. We see it happen allllll the time in the league where the tech isn't called its no big shocker that it wasn't called on LeBron today, but when its LEBRON and a Christmas day game people seem to take offense. When average Joe does it however and isn't called we see a couple people mention it in the game thread (if so much) and they move on.

Nick O
12-25-2013, 11:28 PM
I swear its only when LeBron/Kobe/Melo/Dwight does something like this people take notice and have an issue with it but when its DJ, Sanders, Favors etc the masses are mum about it. We see it happen allllll the time in the league where the tech isn't called its no big shocker that it wasn't called on LeBron today, but when its LEBRON and a Christmas day game people seem to take offense. When average Joe does it however and isn't called we see a couple people mention it in the game thread (if so much) and they move on.

but 99 times out of 100 that is called on the average joe.

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-25-2013, 11:33 PM

Maybe you should. As long as it'll save us from reading this thread ;)

GottaLoveCubs
12-26-2013, 12:02 AM

Find me a clip of average joe hanging on the rim and not getting T'd up.

Nick O
12-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Maybe you should. As long as it'll save us from reading this thread ;)

another winky face ;)

Riodagoat
12-26-2013, 12:13 AM
1. They called a timeout
2. How can you be sure that they wouldn't call it the same if Xavier Henry did it? Did any of you ACTUALLY see it happen or somehow able to look into the future?
3. It's Christmas
4. Who gives a flying ****?

DallasTrilla23
12-26-2013, 03:14 AM
Tell em why you mad, son.

likemystylez
12-26-2013, 03:24 AM
I think you get a tech for game delay in that situation, but as there was timeout called, there was no "game delay" really.

Its a taunting technical- it isnt really game delay. LOL the other team can go ahead and leave you hanging on the opposite basket.

Swashcuff
12-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Find me a clip of average joe hanging on the rim and not getting T'd up.

Like that's really going to be on youtube. Dude we see it happen every week in the NBA. The discretion seems as if its totally up to the refs. I can remember more than a couple occasions last season where my buddies and I are watching games and wondering how in the hell is that not a technical. It happens alllll the time.

jerellh528
12-26-2013, 01:01 PM
He hangs on for a good amount of time prior to the time out, I was mad that a tech wasn't called during the game, because in my mind Lebron kind of did this daring them to call a tech thinking he could do whatever he wants. But after a while I wasn't mad anymore because basketball is just fun and games, even though anyone else would've probably gotten a tech. Just wish the nba was a little more consistent.
http://youtu.be/v4UsdD1-JY4

JasonJohnHorn
12-26-2013, 01:06 PM

There are two reasons.

1. Taunting. Taunting usually leads to a hostile environment. The "Malice at the Palace" is a perfect example of where taunting can lead. The league wants to avoid this sort of thing, whether it just be an ejection or a fight. Basketball fans for to basketball games to watch basketball players play basketball. Taunting will lead to fights, which will lead to ejections, and watching a player get ejected is not what players came to see.

2. Breaking the rim. Though the rims are reinforced and can take a lot of punishment, they DO break. If a player hangs on the rim, it weakens the rim and in turn can lead to the breaking of the rim, which will lead to a game delay. This is not good for TV or for fans at the game. Ensuring that players don't hang on the rim prevents this.

Nick O
12-26-2013, 02:21 PM
He hangs on for a good amount of time prior to the time out, I was mad that a tech wasn't called during the game, because in my mind Lebron kind of did this daring them to call a tech thinking he could do whatever he wants. But after a while I wasn't mad anymore because basketball is just fun and games, even though anyone else would've probably gotten a tech. Just wish the nba was a little more consistent.
http://youtu.be/v4UsdD1-JY4

that ^

HeatBBall
12-26-2013, 02:26 PM
I heard that hanging on the rim isn't a tech call, but IF the player pulls up on the rim it is an automatic tech call. And pulling yourself up on the rim is only allowed if it involves you doing so for the safety of yourself or a player around the rim.

Not sure if this is correct or not.

beasted86
12-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Tell em why you mad, son.

Yup. Tons of salty haters here.

HeatBBall
12-26-2013, 02:31 PM
I heard that hanging on the rim isn't a tech call, but IF the player pulls up on the rim it is an automatic tech call. And pulling yourself up on the rim is only allowed if it involves you doing so for the safety of yourself or a player around the rim.

Not sure if this is correct or not.

I just read the rules and it just says hanging on the rim is a technical foul regardless. Nothing more or nothing less.

colinskik
12-26-2013, 03:27 PM

This was the most exaggerated hanging-on-the-rim offense I've seen since they first implemented the rule to hand out a T for hanging. You can make concessions that a lot of them hang to protect themselves, which is totally legit and the reason they pulled back on calling a T in recent years. But there was no good explanation here ... lebron was clearly taunting. This should be whistled. No question.

Several years ago they called a T on Al Harrington (Knick days) when he hung on the rim after a dunk that directly led to the opposing team hitting the FT and eventually winning the game. His offense wasn't nearly as bad as this one.

The TO being called is an interesting wrinkle, and I'm not too sure what the rule states in that situation. I only saw it on sports center, not live, so i can't be too sure of the temperature of that play. Still seems a bit excessive though.,

colinskik
12-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Ok just watched the link that a poster provided above, and he's already hanging on the rim long enough for a T before the TO is called.

SPURSFAN1
12-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Definitely a tech.

NYKnickFanatic
12-26-2013, 03:49 PM

Because the NBA is soft and they want to suck the fun out of everything.

That feeling of hanging on the rim after a dunk, feels so good.

NYKnickFanatic
12-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Just saw the video. LMAO. Should have DEFINITELY been a tech, by league rules, but what can you do.

It's so funny because of the look LeBron gives, like "yeah, I run this ****.'

And he does. Lol

PurpleLynch
12-26-2013, 03:53 PM
People using that timeout argument are too biased. It was a tech,even if I don't care too much. But they give you a tech for a reason. And he wasn't protecting his knees or someone who could get hit by him.It was just a vertical,open dunk. Dunno why he did that(probably for show's sake),but it was a tech for sure.

GottaLoveCubs
12-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Its just annoying because it just further points out the obvious that the NBA changes the rules for stars. Wade shoves Hamilton, gets a Flagrant 1. Nazr shoves Lebron, gets ejected from the game.

Nick O
12-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Just saw the video. LMAO. Should have DEFINITELY been a tech, by league rules, but what can you do.

It's so funny because of the look LeBron gives, like "yeah, I run this ****.'

And he does. Lol

that look was why i made the thread. he knows he can get away with whatever the hell he wants. and only he can. hes not above the game despite how spectacular of a player he is

-Kobe24-TJ19-
12-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Al Harrington is a champ on this

KingPosey
12-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Ya it annoyed me that LBJ hung on the rim for like 10 seconds just because he felt like it.

SteBO
12-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Yeah it probably should've been a tech, but I don't quite understand why it bothers so many people in here. C'mon guys.....

LongIslandIcedZ
12-26-2013, 05:20 PM
For every Lebron hater, there is a blind Lebron supporter nowadays.

It was a tech. It makes no difference, he's still the best player alive, but it was absolutely a technical foul. Hating Lebron used to be the cool thing to do, but it seems pretty clear defending everything he does is now. I dont understand why so many posters come to his defense so quickly. No one is saying he's a bad guy or anything, just saying he got away with a technical.

I've really learned to appreciate Lebron's game now that I'm not on the 'hate' or 'love' bandwagon anymore. He's just Lebron, a really good player.

HeatBBall
12-26-2013, 05:27 PM
I myself wondered why there wasn't a tech given. But I don't think I would care if the opposing team did it. People gonna get mad at whatever in sports.. I do it all the time. It's what makes us fans. :)

Nick O
12-26-2013, 06:42 PM

It was a tech. It makes no difference, he's still the best player alive, but it was absolutely a technical foul. Hating Lebron used to be the cool thing to do, but it seems pretty clear defending everything he does is now. I dont understand why so many posters come to his defense so quickly. No one is saying he's a bad guy or anything, just saying he got away with a technical.

I've really learned to appreciate Lebron's game now that I'm not on the 'hate' or 'love' bandwagon anymore. He's just Lebron, a really good player.

i love watching lebron play. but i feel he gets away with far too much. i dont even like that hanging on the rim is a tech. but it is. so he deserved one

JasonJohnHorn
12-26-2013, 06:48 PM
That was a pretty overt hang. It should have been called.

Hanging is only supposed to be allowed in order for a player to land safety. So it the momentum carries your legs forward and you need to straighten out, or if there is a player under your legs, then players are allowed to hang until they can drop safely to the ground.

Riodagoat
12-26-2013, 06:53 PM

The problem is people are always trying to look for reasons to hate or undermine Lebron.
He dunks on Mclemore? He can't dunk on big guys.
He dunks on Millsap? Oh it was a charging foul.
He hits a game winning layup? He can't shoot a jump shot to save his life.
Single handedly carries his team to a comeback victory? Oh it's only the Bobcats. They're supposed to beat them.
People always complain about other people always riding Lebron's dong and yet the same people complaining make threads like this that are trivial.

Should've they called a tech on Lebron? Probably so. But as I said, it was Christmas and they probably didn't even give a ****, just like we all shouldn't. It's not like it mattered for the game they played.

OlivaThor
12-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Typical overreaction here. People just want some reason for throwing **** at him. Get a life and enjoy a holiday.

Nick O
12-27-2013, 01:29 AM
Typical overreaction here. People just want some reason for throwing **** at him. Get a life and enjoy a holiday.

lol i dont even have anything against Lebron. i generally cheer for the heat when they play. but it was BS man

PurpleLynch
12-27-2013, 08:58 AM
The problem is people are always trying to look for reasons to hate or undermine Lebron.
He dunks on Mclemore? He can't dunk on big guys.
He dunks on Millsap? Oh it was a charging foul.
He hits a game winning layup? He can't shoot a jump shot to save his life.
Single handedly carries his team to a comeback victory? Oh it's only the Bobcats. They're supposed to beat them.
People always complain about other people always riding Lebron's dong and yet the same people complaining make threads like this that are trivial.

Should've they called a tech on Lebron? Probably so. But as I said, it was Christmas and they probably didn't even give a ****, just like we all shouldn't. It's not like it mattered for the game they played.

Ok then,just change the rule and allow everyone to do it on Christmas. I didn't care at all about James doing that,he gave us amazing plays against the Lakers and I love watching him playing,but I think that there's a rule for a reason and refs should enforce it. Or you change the rule for Christmas,otherwise. And the thread was made just because it was an unusual situation,where refs swallowed their whistles.

TheIlladelph16
12-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Should have been called by the rules, but who the **** cares this much. This happens all the time and it's not called. It's only ever an issue for the fans when its a superstar that doesn't get called.