PDA

View Full Version : Kings coach Malone not happy with team, has awesome rant

spreadeagle
12-25-2013, 02:57 PM
This guy seems stressed lol

What’s bothering Kings coach Michael Malone?

Right now, it seems to be Sacramento’s 22 turnovers in a loss to the Pelicans on Monday and the Kings allowing 39 fourth-quarter points in a loss to the Hawks on Wednesday.

After the the loss to New Orleans – Sacramento’s fourth defeat in five games, which dropped the team to 8-19 – Malone gave one of the most direct interview sessions of the season. If it was on his mind, he said it.

The highlights, via News 10 (click through for video):

“It’s the same problem every night. I guess we’ve got to some better players that can contain the basketball, because right now, we can’t.”
“We’re a bad basketball team. That’s the bottom line. We’re a bad basketball team right now.”
“We’re not that good where we can give teams 22 extra possessions. I’ll tell you that much. I don’t know if we can beat them if we give them zero extra possessions.”
On Rudy Gay: “He played bad. That’s it. He had a bad game. And he wasn’t the only one. We had a lot of guys that didn’t play well tonight.”
“You know how hard it is to give up 39 points in a quarter? That is embarrassing. I’m embarrassed. I don’t know if anybody in that locker room is embarrassed, but I’m embarrassed.”
“I can’t control the turnovers. I can’t make the passes for them. That’s – at some point, these guys have got to take responsibility. Plenty of times this season, I’ve put it on me, and I’ll do that. But I tell you what, each guy in that locker room has got to start looking in the mirror and owning up and taking responsibility for their play. And we don’t have a lot of that right now.”
“How many times do you have to hit rock bottom? I mean, Look at our record. We’ve hit rock bottom four or five times now. Maybe some of these guys are so used to losing, they’re accustomed to it. I’m not. I’m not used to losing. I’m used to being in the playoffs and being a competitive team that takes pride in its defense. Right now, we don’t have a lot of guys that do that. So, I’m not sure what their rock bottom is, but I hit my rock bottom about one week into the season.”

Oh boy.

An NBA coach blaming his players like that is a dangerous game. Sure, Malone interjected a cursory “I’ve put it on me, and I’ll do that,” but everything else he said suggests otherwise. He’s putting it on the players.

On some teams, that can motivate the players into trying harder and performing better. On other teams, it leads to distrust and revolt.

I hope, for Malone’s sake, he knows what he’s doing. He certainly has more exposure to the personalities of the Kings than I do, so he’s better positioned to make that judgment – assuming the comments were a tactical decision and not an emotional outburst Malone now regrets.

But this would be a good time to remind Malone he’s 8-19 as an NBA head coach. Is he really so certain the Kings’ problems are the players faults and not his? Are all his schemes ideal? And if they are, has he taught them coherently? http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/24/kings-coach-michael-malone-on-his-players-these-guys-have-got-to-take-responsibility/

Im_in_Mia_bish
12-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Can't wait to see his reaction once gay starts chucking 30 shots.

KingPosey
12-25-2013, 03:20 PM
As a Kings fan, I can tell you be isn't wrong. It's like once a teams bad for a while they just stay that way. They don't play like they want to win. Boogies body language shows that he wants to win BADLY, but he still makes
The same plays in the same crucial spots game after game. They all do.

Sactown
12-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Our defense on the perimeter is embarrassing, PGs average 20/10 game in and game out and we can't defend the Three, even Kyle Korver said he's never had so many open shots. Our big men dont rotate well either and it seems we dont communicate on any PNR

PurpleLynch
12-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Awesome rant anyway.:) But I think he's right. They should trade everyone and rebuild from Thomas+Cousins.

True Sports Fan
12-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Sadly, he isn't far off.

torocan
12-26-2013, 04:33 PM
This is one of those rare instances where the Coach really is speaking what's on his mind.

While not necessarily the wisest idea to throw your team under the bus, if nothing else is working this may be the only thing he has left in the tool box to get his players off their butts.

A coach can only do so much. If the players aren't motivated, or are lazy, or aren't mentally tough, then it doesn't matter. At some point it doesn't matter how good the sets and system are, a coach can't play the game for the players. Just as we laud players like Michael Jordan for having a truly competitive fire, we have to accept that the opposite may be true. Some players may not be mentally built to compete at the higher levels of the NBA.

Coaches can fix some of it, but some of it has to fall on the players. How much is the coach and how much is the players in this case, who knows?

jaydubb
12-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Malone is 100% correct on what he said but he is also 100% wrong with how he dealt with it.. Idk if he's talked to his guys individually or not, that's what I woulda done, but there is no way he shoulda thrown the whole team under the bus for the whole media to witness.. That's just wrong.. Now it's national news and I guarantee every one of those players feel like **** now and most likely lost some respect for their coach.. Bad way to address a concern IMO.

TrueFan420
12-26-2013, 05:38 PM
The part where he said my rock bottom was one week into the job was hella funny

AddiX
12-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Ever since Don Divac left the kings I just don't care about them and often times forget they even exist.

The kings to me represent a lot of what's wrong with the NBA, young players, and talented players who don't understand the NBA game, and don't care to learn it. The NBA is completely filled with this nonsense, I can't be bothered to watch this crap.

I feel bad for these coAches who have to try to teach these overrated spoiled brats how to win.

SeoulBeatz
12-26-2013, 06:09 PM
I love it. That's exactly what I'd want my coach to say. Don't sugarcoat anything, these are grown *** men getting paid millions to play a children's game. They can handle it and there's enough talent on the Kings roster to put in a better effort than that.

chitownredbulls
12-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Preach on coach!!!!!!!!!

SeoulBeatz
12-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Malone is 100% correct on what he said but he is also 100% wrong with how he dealt with it.. Idk if he's talked to his guys individually or not, that's what I woulda done, but there is no way he shoulda thrown the whole team under the bus for the whole media to witness.. That's just wrong.. Now it's national news and I guarantee every one of those players feel like **** now and most likely lost some respect for their coach.. Bad way to address a concern IMO.

I don't know. I feel like he SHOULD put the team on blast if they're not going to put in the effort. Don't let the players get away with slacking. The whole world SHOULD know that the team isn't giving effort, why should they be let of the hook?

I realize these are two entirely different realms (obviously), but I loved when my H.S b-ball coach would cuss out the team. It was scary as ****, but it also woke the team up and instilled a sense of urgency immediately. If you have the respect of the players then there's nothing better than some tough love when the team starts to lose focus.

Sure he could have done it behind closed doors but Malone's got to be fed up with the lack of effort. You shouldn't baby your players and I think he just had enough, can't say I blame him.

JLynn943
12-26-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm okay with how he handled it. if they don't care enough to play better, then they shouldn't care about being called out for it. I think some of them do care though, and I have to believe Malone knows who they are and that those players will understand this. he's trying to make people start taking responsibility for how badly they're playing, and that's better coaching than what the team has had in years

spreadeagle
12-27-2013, 12:51 AM
The part where he said my rock bottom was one week into the job was hella funny

lmao I like this guy. I also like this gem "We’re not that good where we can give teams 22 extra possessions. I’ll tell you that much. I don’t know if we can beat them if we give them zero extra possessions.”

ACanadian
12-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Is there a place where Rudy can do any positive for his team?

mjt20mik
12-27-2013, 01:10 AM
Thank you Masai for trading Rudy

spreadeagle
12-27-2013, 01:32 AM

I wouldnt say its too much his fault, his numbers have been good except for turnovers, but hes probably not the best add to n already troubled team

IndyRealist
12-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Horrible commentary from NBC Sports. They deliberately took his quote out of context and left the "plenty of times this season" off and just quoted "I've put it on me, and I'll do that." Shoddy journalism.

IndyRealist
12-27-2013, 02:16 PM
I wouldnt say its too much his fault, his numbers have been good except for turnovers, but hes probably not the best add to n already troubled team

Cut down his turnovers drastically, stop taking 3's altogether, and rebound more. I.e. create more possessions and stop wasting the ones they do have.

TrueFan420
12-27-2013, 04:35 PM

Give pop a shot at coaching him

True Sports Fan
12-28-2013, 01:53 AM
Hey... maybe it did work :shrug:

Deception
12-28-2013, 02:07 AM
Nice to see the players respond well, hopefully it creates better chemistry between the players and coaches

ghettosean
12-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Malone gets to keep his job past the all star break now... Seems like he did the right thing after seeing that OT win against Miami though he might need to rant more about the turnovers (didn't watch the game but it was over his magic number 22) :D