PDA

View Full Version : What's the Big Fuss?

Wade n Fade
12-24-2013, 07:12 PM
What's the big fuss over Giannis Antetokounmpo? His stats are not supporting people's cases: 6-4-1 with a PER of 14. http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3032977/giannis-antetokounmpo

chi-townlove1
12-24-2013, 07:23 PM
There's more to it than stats man. It's the fact that he's a rookie, and is looking a lot smarter and more developed than he should. Usually rookies come out raw and take a year or more to develop. But this kid is looking good. His IQ is pretty high. His shot selection. His defense. His ability to make teammates better. And he looks a bit more developed than the common rookie. No one is crowning him MVP, their just saying he's a steal in this draft.

shep33
12-24-2013, 07:27 PM
He just turned 19. He can also play great individual defense

JasonJohnHorn
12-24-2013, 07:37 PM
What is the big fuss? I'm not hearing people fussing about him at all? They speak to a potential he shows and that's it. It's not like they are saying he's going to be dominating the league by the end of the season.

carnality
12-24-2013, 08:35 PM
He's the youngest player in the NBA, and he plays defense like a 10 year veteran.
He plays better defense than Carmelo Anthony, in fact he limited Melo to 9-29 FGs in his first time as a starter.

This kid has zero NBA experience, or even experience with western basketball, European basketball is very different.

What he does have is intangibles, very high basketball IQ, AN INSANELY LONG BODY, and he's still growing (entered 6'9, now 6'10, think Paul George), and scoring can be taught.

What he has is also a bad coach, on a team that is meant to win, but is aggressively losing worse than tankers.
Instead of playing him his natural position (PG since he started playing) to allow him to choose his own shots, he never gets a pass (watch games, Knight never sends the ball his way when he's wide open).

Offense is easier to pick up than defense, and I'll leave you with the following, because he's saving my fantasy team with these stats:
In the last 7 days he's averaged
34.0 minutes 2.8/5.5 FG, on .500 shooting (think Harden before he was given the reigns in Houston)
3.8/4.3 FT for a big man (A GREEK ROOKIE AT THAT, Europeans notoriously suck at FT%) .882% FT shooting (better than every big man on my team)
Almost one 3pter per game
5.0 Rebounds as a GUARD (ignore his length/height, the boy is a GUARD).
2.0 Assists (on a team of ballhogs)
0.5 Steal per game (it feels like more)
0.8 Blocks per game (it feels like more)
1.5 Turnovers (he's getting better, zero TO on his 6th game as a starter)
2.8 Fouls (was averaging five 2 weeks ago)
10.0 highly efficient PPG

Durant averaged
34.6 Minutes
7.3-17.1 Shots on .430%
0.7-2.6 3pters on .288%
4.9-5.6 FT on .873%
4.4 Rebounds
2.4 Assists
0.9 Steals
1.0 Block
1.5 Personal Fouls
2.9 Turnovers
And granted 20.3 Points Per Game in his rookie year.

Is it an outright mirror image? No, but Durant entered the NBA at 19, Giannis entered it at 18 and like George, Giannis seems less interested in scoring, and more in guarding the best player on the court.
Which means, give him 3 years before you judge him, I'm not claiming he's a top 5 player, I am claiming he has the potential of something special.

Stats lie.
Ball don't lie.

Raps18-19 Champ
12-24-2013, 08:47 PM
That big hand.

KnicksorBust
12-24-2013, 08:59 PM
What's the big fuss over Giannis Antetokounmpo? His stats are not supporting people's cases: 6-4-1 with a PER of 14. http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3032977/giannis-antetokounmpo

He's an almost 7'0 ft tall SG and he is 19.

bbcmillionaire
12-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Lol if he's not in Miami there's no reason to care huh? Yeah I wanted the bulls to draft him but punk az Milwaukee took him at 15

thekmp211
12-24-2013, 09:39 PM
maybe you should watch a couple games and judge him for yourself. exciting young player.

JEDean89
12-24-2013, 11:00 PM
there are maybe 3 other guys in the league with his size and skillset. He is gonna be the next PG/KD. His ceiling doesn't exist right now, I don't know if you've watched him play but just the way he moves gets me excited. He is probably my favorite player in the NBA right now.

Last 5 games
11 pts, 6 rebounds, 2.5 assists on 45% from the field, 43% from the arc and 88% from the FT line.

Milwaukee got the best talent in the draft.

nickdymez
12-24-2013, 11:15 PM

His stats aren't good, so he isn't good...

Chrisclover
12-25-2013, 12:20 AM
oh, a steal ?
His name is very long .....

Chronz
12-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Those are pretty good stats considering his age and inexperience. Check historical comps PLZ.

Chronz
12-25-2013, 12:27 AM

According to whom? U? Because you really understand stats?

MrfadeawayJB
12-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Op getting busted right now for lack of basketball knowledge

D-Leethal
12-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Didn't realize there was a stat for limitless potential and one-of-a-kind physical attributes.

D-Leethal
12-25-2013, 12:51 AM

Anyone with a HS education and half a brain can understand it. You act like were studying quantum physics here and you are the self appointed lead-scientist. Once again at it with your false sense of superiority, learn to think deeper PLZ. You sell the game short.

thekmp211
12-25-2013, 01:32 AM
ruh roh

ThaDubs
12-25-2013, 08:15 AM

106 drtg

KnicksorBust
12-25-2013, 09:08 AM

106 drtg

Andre Iguodala had a 105 drtg last season. Defend that stat.

Swashcuff
12-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Op getting busted right now for lack of basketball knowledge

Lack of basketball knowledge? The OP asked a simple question about a ROOKIE who he has never seen player before this year (has any of us seen him play) who really hasn't been too outstanding all things considered this year but is drawing comparisons to the 2nd best player in the NBA and a player who is already a top 10 SF of all time. I can't blame him for asking the question.

Honestly to me he'll be really solid but I don't see the superstar upside just quite yet, physically he has the tools but so did Anthony Randolph. I'm in no way saying that Antetokounmpo is going to be another Anthony Randolph but saying he's the next KD because of his length is almost as bad as saying Adam Morrison is going to be the next Larry Bird. For comparison sake in today's NBA I think he's more of a Chandler Parsons type with greater athletic ability (and Chandler is an underrated athlete in his own right) than a KD. Which is still very very good because IMO Parsons has all star potential.

Swashcuff
12-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Anyone with a HS education and half a brain can understand it. You act like were studying quantum physics here and you are the self appointed lead-scientist. Once again at it with your false sense of superiority, learn to think deeper PLZ. You sell the game short.

Look at post #19 of this thread. You won't be able to understand the stats if you don't even try to.

No you don't need any sort of degree to understand stats but if you're ignorant to it you sure as hell won't be able to comprehend what you read. nicky is as ignorant as they come.

jp611
12-25-2013, 09:51 AM
106 drtg

My god, that's a team statistic

RipCity32
12-25-2013, 10:24 AM
I remember on draft night David Aldridge said that he has two brothers who are even more talented than he is. So I'm sure there are a few scouts checking them out right now.

OKC
12-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I remember on draft night David Aldridge said that he has two brothers who are even more talented than he is. So I'm sure there are a few scouts checking them out right now.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/thanasis_antetokounmpo/
that's one of his older brothers

Sadds The Gr8
12-25-2013, 11:03 AM
why do you always respond to that clown? I assumed nobody takes him seriously anymore

SeoulBeatz
12-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Ok that's the 3rd time I've seen the Durant comparison to Giannis.

Let's calm down for a sec. I love the kids skillset and hustle (though I've only seen him play twice honestly), two-way players of his size and age are very rare.

But comparing him to Durant needs to ****ing stop. He will never be Kevin Durant. Just look at Durant's game at 19 years of age and then look at Giannis. Giannis will never be the scorer Durant is, but he very well might be a better defender, and ELITE one at that.

b@llhog24
12-25-2013, 04:12 PM
106 drtg

Lol.

Chronz
12-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Self appointed?

And I dont act like anything, notice the lack of a response from the poster I quoted and from yourself on the actual topic. The rooks stats.

You're either trolling me or you're saying Dymez lacks half a brain.

LOL at sell the game short. Proof PLZ, not vague generalizations.

Wade n Fade
12-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Lack of basketball knowledge? The OP asked a simple question about a ROOKIE who he has never seen player before this year (has any of us seen him play) who really hasn't been too outstanding all things considered this year but is drawing comparisons to the 2nd best player in the NBA and a player who is already a top 10 SF of all time. I can't blame him for asking the question.

Honestly to me he'll be really solid but I don't see the superstar upside just quite yet, physically he has the tools but so did Anthony Randolph. I'm in no way saying that Antetokounmpo is going to be another Anthony Randolph but saying he's the next KD because of his length is almost as bad as saying Adam Morrison is going to be the next Larry Bird. For comparison sake in today's NBA I think he's more of a Chandler Parsons type with greater athletic ability (and Chandler is an underrated athlete in his own right) than a KD. Which is still very very good because IMO Parsons has all star potential.

This post is exactly what I was thinking about. I don't live in Mil, nor do I get to see Bucks games. I just watch Sun Sports, ESPN, and TNT. I never saw this kid much at all and I don't see ESPN discussing him much at all. People get carried away with comparisons though. Look at Wiggins, he was called the next Lebron, yet Jabari Parker looks like the better NCAA player.

JEDean89
12-26-2013, 12:50 AM
people be hating but in 2 years we will all know how to spell his name

Chucky Woods
12-26-2013, 01:13 AM
Ok that's the 3rd time I've seen the Durant comparison to Giannis.

Let's calm down for a sec. I love the kids skillset and hustle (though I've only seen him play twice honestly), two-way players of his size and age are very rare.

But comparing him to Durant needs to ****ing stop. He will never be Kevin Durant. Just look at Durant's game at 19 years of age and then look at Giannis. Giannis will never be the scorer Durant is, but he very well might be a better defender, and ELITE one at that.Honestly no one knows what his ceiling is and probably won't until a couple years down the road. It's way to early, but I'll never say never.

Chucky Woods
12-26-2013, 01:52 AM
This post is exactly what I was thinking about. I don't live in Mil, nor do I get to see Bucks games. I just watch Sun Sports, ESPN, and TNT. I never saw this kid much at all and I don't see ESPN discussing him much at all. People get carried away with comparisons though. Look at Wiggins, he was called the next Lebron, yet Jabari Parker looks like the better NCAA player.I understand not a lot of people get to watch Bucks games or even choose to lol. Giannis is a SPECIAL player and if developed right he could be a perennial all star. You haven't heard much about him because honestly nobody gives a **** about Milwaukee and it's one of the reasons many people are think the franchise is as good as gone. Giannis is the closest thing we've had to an all star since Ray Allen, Andrew Bogut, and lol Brandon Jennings. He can be a new hope for Bucks fans and that's why everyone who watches basketball is so damn excited about him. Giannis seems very likable and therefore very marketable and this comes to a team whose only player's t-shirt I saw in stores was Caron freaking Butler.

While he shutdown the 2nd best scorer in the NBA he showed a lot of spunk A columnist wrote...

"Not only was Bucks rookie, Giannis Antetokounmpo playing just a jersey, last night, he was also talking to it. Being privy to a courtside seat I heard Giannis dialoguing with Carmello in his adopted Greek. He was saying: "σορτς σας μυρίζει σαν μέλι cheerios καρύδι" roughly translated: "Your shorts smell like honey nut cheerios."I loved how Giannis showed the attitude to play in this league and didn't roll over even at the ripe age of 19.

Oh and Wiggins is still rightfully called the next Lebron based on his POTENTIAL... I like Jabari and think his game should really translate to the NBA seamlessly, but he doesn't have the Defensive and athletic potential Wiggins has. I see a high ceiling with both. Specifically Pippen in Wiggins, Olajuwon in Embiid, Melo + Glenn Robinson in Parker. Will they hit their potential? Who knows however a small market team needs to gamble on a franchise/hall of fame player, since we are attracting no one through free agency.

For Milwaukee, I'm beyond excited for the future. They legitimately have the shot at grabbing the best player in the draft two years in a row. I look forward to the day when I see the billboard of Giannis lobbing it to Wiggins/Embiid/Parker etc. It will be a day a long time coming...

With how incompetent our FO is it's a blessing that these young guys can possibly come in and effectively raise the interest of professional basketball in Wisconsin. It's great that it's happening at the right time and rooting our beloved Bucks in Milwaukee permanently and keeping Las Vegas and Seattle out of the picture.

Just giving a little perspective as to life as a very small market fan and why Milwaukee is buzzing over this kid.

JEDean89
12-26-2013, 03:00 AM
^^^^ if i was yall, i would want marcus smart, he could run the offense from the 2 guard, knight could be more of a scoring pg, giannis at the 3, henson the 4 and sanders the 5, that could be pretty awesome. i actually watch the bucks games now that giannis is starting. i have henson, sanders and giannis all on my fantasy team and i think they are all really good. the bucks FO has been awful but honestly nabbing those 3 guys in the mid 1st, they all would go way higher if redrafted, Giannis is gonna make up for a lot of the GM's mistakes. I simply tune out people who don't think Giannis is gonna be a superstud, I'll take that combination of size and skillset any day not too mention he is already playing great defense and is a way better shooter than I thought he would be.

RipCity32
12-26-2013, 03:05 AM
^^^^ if i was yall, i would want marcus smart, he could run the offense from the 2 guard, knight could be more of a scoring pg, giannis at the 3, henson the 4 and sanders the 5, that could be pretty awesome. i actually watch the bucks games now that giannis is starting. i have henson, sanders and giannis all on my fantasy team and i think they are all really good. the bucks FO has been awful but honestly nabbing those 3 guys in the mid 1st, they all would go way higher if redrafted, Giannis is gonna make up for a lot of the GM's mistakes. I simply tune out people who don't think Giannis is gonna be a superstud, I'll take that combination of size and skillset any day not too mention he is already playing great defense and is a way better shooter than I thought he would be.

Smart would be really good for MIL.

Shlumpledink
12-26-2013, 03:11 AM
Just using stats to dismiss a player is pretty paltry. Talk about how he looks, or what he does or doesn't do. There are too many variables to explain stats, and only one of those variables is player ability

Swashcuff
12-26-2013, 08:58 AM
people be hating but in 2 years we will all know how to spell his name

Hating? Because people are simply saying its wayyyyyyyyyyyy too early to crown him the next top 10 SF of all time? Interesting.

IndyRealist
12-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Just using stats to dismiss a player is pretty paltry. Talk about how he looks, or what he does or doesn't do. There are too many variables to explain stats, and only one of those variables is player ability

His ADVANCED metrics are actually really, really good. If you extrapolate due to his limited playing time, he's an incredibly impactful player for a rookie. Now, we've seen fantastic rookies fade once defenses pay more attention to them (Landry Fields, for instance), but if people actually looked at his stats instead of just the box score, he could give MCW competition for ROY. No knows who he is now, but no one knew who Paul George was his rookie year, either. Blanket dismissal of

@OP, raw stats (points/rebounds/assists per game) mean almost nothing because there's no context. How many minutes do they play? How well do they shoot? Do they play defense? And PER is actually worse than raw stats, because it actively tries to fool you into thinking a player is good.

2-ONE-5
12-26-2013, 12:16 PM
blame it on Bill Simmons and Grantland. they are blowing him and its catching on. dude isnt that good

but what i dont get is how people are saying he is gonna end up a steal when the kid played ball in Greece agaisnt talent equal to DIv. 3 over here i mean thats some **** most of us could have or have played in. He was only drafted in the lotto bcuz this was a terribly weak draft

RipCity32
12-26-2013, 01:10 PM
blame it on Bill Simmons and Grantland. they are blowing him and its catching on. dude isnt that good

but what i dont get is how people are saying he is gonna end up a steal when the kid played ball in Greece agaisnt talent equal to DIv. 3 over here i mean thats some **** most of us could have or have played in. He was only drafted in the lotto bcuz this was a terribly weak draft

So I guess your saying me or you could have gotten drafted in last years weak draft? I don't think scouts are that stupid man. The kid has all the God giving physical tangibles that I doubt many players in Div3 basketball have. The kid has great potential on both sides of the ball and you can't teach the build he has. If he works at it he could become the next PG type of player for sure.

2-ONE-5
12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
So I guess your saying me or you could have gotten drafted in last years weak draft? I don't think scouts are that stupid man. The kid has all the God giving physical tangibles that I doubt many players in Div3 basketball have. The kid has great potential on both sides of the ball and you can't teach the build he has. If he works at it he could become the next PG type of player for sure.

no i didnt say that i was pointing out how weak of compeition he played against and the risk of drafting him was pretty high. He would prob not be a first rounder in this upcoming draft

IndyRealist
12-26-2013, 03:19 PM
no i didnt say that i was pointing out how weak of compeition he played against and the risk of drafting him was pretty high. He would prob not be a first rounder in this upcoming draft

Much like Andre Drummond, it no longer matters what he did before the NBA, because he's there now. And in the NBA he looks pretty good, against top level competition. He has all the physical tools to play in the NBA, 99% of D3 players can't say that.

PurpleLynch
12-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I really like him,very impactful player with his limited minutes. The team don't show love for him though(Knight never passes to him when he's open). He's already a very good defender. I'm eager to see next year how he'll develop.

PS:his name looks difficult to say,but I have no problem spelling his name.

NYKnickFanatic
12-26-2013, 04:07 PM

PSD logic...

Chronz
12-27-2013, 03:06 PM
PSD logic...
Based on what?

sunsfan88
12-27-2013, 04:20 PM
Archie Goodwin could also be a steal of this draft.