PDA

View Full Version : Terrence Ross

smith&wesson
12-24-2013, 06:17 PM
What is his current value? Keeper or someone we should include in a trade package?

How much better would he be if given starter minutes? What would you project his stat line would be if he got 30 + minutes.

Ultimately what do you think his role will be if he remains a raptor?

What is his ceiling?

I’ve attached his stats below for your reference. Just to get a good picture of what he has produced thus far in case you haven’t been following him too closely. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rosste01.html

Some of us have forgotten that we have this young talent who is very much a part of this team’s present and future plans. He still has sky high potential and good intangibles to build on.

What kind of impact do you think he could potentially have?? Best case scenario yet realistic as possible please and thank you.

Jamiecballer
12-24-2013, 06:21 PM
How much value do you think he currently has ?

how much better would he be if given starter minutes ?

ultimately what do you think his role will be if he remains a raptor?

what is his ceiling ?

Ive attatched his stats for your reference. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rosste01.html

I think some of us have forgotten that we have this very, very young and raw talent who has sky high potential. What does Terrence Ross mean to this team ? What kind of impact do you think he could potentially have?? best case scenerio yet realistic as possible please and thank you.

Realistic - morris peterson

North Yorker
12-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Tools and athleticism galore. Good quicks. Needs to get stronger and draw more fouls. If he didn't bite on every pump fake he'd be a hell of a lot better defender.

His downfalls are more mental than talent/physical.

Eddie Jones tools with Jason Richards athleticism looks like his ceiling, which is a damn good player. Not sure if he ever reaches it. Has a long way to go.

smith&wesson
12-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Realistic - morris peterson

morris peterson's best season was in 05-06 where he averaged 16.8 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.6 apg, and 1.3 spg.

Although mo pete never sniffed that stat line again or saw the same amount of minutes and was pretty inconsistant, I would take that production from t ross with consistancy anyday and I dont think its an unfair expectation.

smith&wesson
12-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Tools and athleticism galore. Good quicks. Needs to get stronger and draw more fouls. If he didn't bite on every pump fake he'd be a hell of a lot better defender.

Eddie Jones tools with Jason Richards athleticism looks like his ceiling, which is a damn good player. Not sure if he ever reaches it. Has a long way to go.

that is what I see as well. I see a very young and raw talent but has the essential tools to be a very good sg in this league. I also think that he is skinny and needs to build some strength but most 1st year players are that way.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Dorrell Wright prime 16 PPG and 5 RPG on solid shooting.

Ross will need to gain a lot of weight to take his game to the next level. He doesn't go attack as much when there are bodies around.

FlakeyFool
12-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Comparison: Terrence Ross

Comparisons are stupid. I do like his tools though. Sixth man?

GameBreaker
12-24-2013, 08:35 PM

This. Co-sign. I think he's a keeper, even if it's for 2nd string, so we're deep. We always complain about how thin we are on the bench. I think he needs to have someone to train with, during the next off season. Hone his skills, some, and we have a future All-Star. Real talk, on his mental game, though. I totally agree.

mjt20mik
12-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Not sure. He really has everything talent wise. He can shoot, slash, and defend.

Needs to bulk up and have a more of a hunger to play.

Nick O
12-25-2013, 12:29 AM
if he gets his 3 point % up he could be deadly. he has far more athleticism than the average 3 point shooter. if he works it he could be incredibly dangerous because hes so explosive you cant give him room or get up in his face. i could ALMOST picture as compairsion. why not say a Demar Derozen with better 3 point shooting. hes a better shooter than Demar and he CAN be just as explosive. hes athletic as hell which means potential is there. but i hate the word potential cause it rarely pans out. so wel just have to see where it goes.

BALLER R
12-25-2013, 02:17 AM
Think he has all the potential in the world. Just don't know if he will tap into it.

GrumpyOldMan
12-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Comparison: Terrence Ross

Comparisons are stupid. I do like his tools though. Sixth man?

I agree with your sixth man thoughts. Lots of really good and important players come off the bench and can play both the 2 and 3 in a pinch. I think that is where he is best suited.

Tmath
12-25-2013, 10:05 AM
His best weapon is his quick first step, he just doesn't know how to use it yet. Once the game slows down for him and he learns to keep his dribble alive, he will be very good. It will help him attack the rim, and will help him as a play maker.

R. Johnson#3
12-25-2013, 10:55 AM
If we can get something good for him I say take it. He's got all the gifts in the World but little to no work ethic and unfortunately he's not good enough to get away with it. Will he ever develop a solid work ethic? Maybe. If he does then he'll be pretty good. If he doesn't then he'll just continue chucking up long range shots.

This guy is so ****ing quick but has 0 game off the dribble. This allows defenders to blanket him. If he can develop some sort of game off the dribble and become more than just a pick and pop shooter then his game will become so much better!

R. Johnson#3
12-25-2013, 10:57 AM
The Terrence Ross I've seen this year is almost identical to last. Driving sideways instead of towards the rim, dribbling into traffic, biting on every single pump fake he sees and chucking up 3's. He hasn't really made any improvement anywhere.

Jamiecballer
12-25-2013, 11:20 AM
The Terrence Ross I've seen this year is almost identical to last. Driving sideways instead of towards the rim, dribbling into traffic, biting on every single pump fake he sees and chucking up 3's. He hasn't really made any improvement anywhere.

somebody poop in your christmas cheerios?

gwrighter
12-25-2013, 11:20 AM

He's become a better 3pt. shooter. This is his first time getting consistent minutes, it will take him some time to develop.

R. Johnson#3
12-25-2013, 12:36 PM
He's become a better 3pt. shooter. This is his first time getting consistent minutes, it will take him some time to develop.

Okay fine, he has shown improvement in that because that's all he really does. He hasn't developed at all in other aspects of his game like I mentioned before. Yes, it's his first time getting consistent minutes but he still has all the time in the World to work on his game in practice.

We should sell high on Ross while we still can.

R. Johnson#3
12-25-2013, 12:37 PM
somebody poop in your christmas cheerios?

I just don't think he's going to be that good. We knew he had problems with his work ethic coming in. Seeing his progression so far goes to show that his work ethic isn't really improving.

gwrighter
12-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Okay fine, he has shown improvement in that because that's all he really does. He hasn't developed at all in other aspects of his game like I mentioned before. Yes, it's his first time getting consistent minutes but he still has all the time in the World to work on his game in practice.

We should sell high on Ross while we still can.

Well he's already pretty polished, what are your expectations? To dribble like Allen Iverson? Shoot it like Ray Allen & get to the hole like Wade? He needs time to really learn the NBA game. It took Demar a while to get it going, Ross needs the same patience as well. At least, for now.

If he becomes a consistent 3-D player then that's pretty good. I don't think his value is high either, nobody really knows what he is at this point.

rapsjaysfan88
12-25-2013, 04:27 PM
I just don't think he's going to be that good. We knew he had problems with his work ethic coming in. Seeing his progression so far goes to show that his work ethic isn't really improving.

wow way off dude, jack armstrong was quoted saying ross has one of the best work ethics on the team, he jacks up shots hours before games.

rapsjaysfan88
12-25-2013, 04:30 PM
lets stop with this 3 and d crap, the kid can be as good as he wants to train 2 be. if dd can become all star caliber ross, certainly can as well.

gwrighter
12-25-2013, 05:08 PM
lets stop with this 3 and d crap, the kid can be as good as he wants to train 2 be. if dd can become all star caliber ross, certainly can as well.

Ross is turning 23 in a month, It's not like he's very young & has tremendous upside. We'd have to see more to think he can become an all-star in this league.

HoopsMachine
12-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Keep him, he's young and his contract isn't a burden.

R. Johnson#3
12-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Well he's already pretty polished, what are your expectations? To dribble like Allen Iverson? Shoot it like Ray Allen & get to the hole like Wade? He needs time to really learn the NBA game. It took Demar a while to get it going, Ross needs the same patience as well. At least, for now.

If he becomes a consistent 3-D player then that's pretty good. I don't think his value is high either, nobody really knows what he is at this point.

Please define polished.

I'm not expecting him to be a superstar. I'd just like to see him be able to, well, put the ball on the floor in the half court offence for starters.

koreancabbage
12-25-2013, 09:50 PM
he's still on a rookie scale contract - so .... keeper.

Mikeleafs
12-25-2013, 09:54 PM
R Johnson needs to stick to baseball as he clearly has no clue what he's talking about.

Anyway, I think Ross has the potential to be a Ray Allen type player with his shot, james harden driving ability and Tony Allen defense. Again this is his potential and we're now seeing him grow as he gets consistent minutes! I would keep him as he won't net you a true return of his value and you'll be kicking your own *** in three years time when he becomes a solid player!

koreancabbage
12-25-2013, 11:02 PM
R Johnson needs to stick to baseball as he clearly has no clue what he's talking about.

Anyway, I think Ross has the potential to be a Ray Allen type player with his shot, james harden driving ability and Tony Allen defense. Again this is his potential and we're now seeing him grow as he gets consistent minutes! I would keep him as he won't net you a true return of his value and you'll be kicking your own *** in three years time when he becomes a solid player!

exactly. you don't know what you have in Ross. and he's in a rookie contract - and we're not a team with moving young players to get better. We already got rid of our players that make an insane amount of money so Ross is a keeper for now.

gwrighter
12-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Please define polished.

I'm not expecting him to be a superstar. I'd just like to see him be able to, well, put the ball on the floor in the half court offence for starters.

He can shoot the rock pretty well, has good mechanics. He can dribble, he has a primary move already going from right to left. He's not bad at defence either.

Ross is a shooter, he's not a slasher like Demar so he probably won't ever be great at putting the ball on the floor. Similar to how Demar will probably never be great at shooting the ball.

Polished would be someone like Damian Lillard, unpolished would be like Andre Drummond. Ross is closer to polished than unpolished IMO. From what I've seen it's mostly mental, figuring out the game is what is going to be the difference for Ross. He has the tools already.

R. Johnson#3
12-26-2013, 12:03 AM
He can shoot the rock pretty well, has good mechanics. He can dribble, he has a primary move already going from right to left. He's not bad at defence either.

Ross is a shooter, he's not a slasher like Demar so he probably won't ever be great at putting the ball on the floor. Similar to how Demar will probably never be great at shooting the ball.

Polished would be someone like Damian Lillard, unpolished would be like Andre Drummond. Ross is closer to polished than unpolished IMO. From what I've seen it's mostly mental, figuring out the game is what is going to be the difference for Ross. He has the tools already.

He can't dribble. He can't create at all of the dribble and that's what's the biggest issue for him. If he could develop a game off the dribble then he'd be great! But he really hasn't made any progress at all in that area.

He's not good on defence. The guy bites on pump fakes like nobody else and gets blown by fairly easy.

Another big flaw in his game is his inability to make a meaningful pass. All of his passes are just dish outs because he has a horrible habit of leaving his feet while making a pass.

Look, Terrence Ross is a gifted athlete with a jump shot, I give him that and that's about it. He improved his jump shot, that's good. But he didn't improve in anywhere that really needed work and it's showing. I say sell high while we still can.

gwrighter
12-26-2013, 12:26 AM
He can't dribble. He can't create at all of the dribble and that's what's the biggest issue for him. If he could develop a game off the dribble then he'd be great! But he really hasn't made any progress at all in that area.

He can dribble, do you ever see him dribble off his foot or get stripped? Nope.

I don't understand why your expectations are way out of whack he's a shooter not a slasher man. That's like complaining about Demar not being able to hit 3's, that's not his game.

You seem to be upset that Ross is not like James Harden, lol.

He's not good on defence. The guy bites on pump fakes like nobody else and gets blown by fairly easy.

Disagree. Synergy says he's about average on D overall and in the top 50 in important areas like guarding the P&R.

Another big flaw in his game is his inability to make a meaningful pass. All of his passes are just dish outs because he has a horrible habit of leaving his feet while making a pass.

He's still learning the game at the NBA lvl, he's not a finished product. & he doesn't do that all the time.

Look, Terrence Ross is a gifted athlete with a jump shot, I give him that and that's about it. He improved his jump shot, that's good.

You're selling him short for sure. Being a gifted athlete with a jumpshot is enough to get you a starting spot on the Spurs (Danny Green).

But he didn't improve in anywhere that really needed work and it's showing. I say sell high while we still can.

Dude, 1 thing at a time. A player isn't just going to magically put it all together and become a top 10 player at their position playing only 18mpg. Ross hasn't had nearly enough PT yet. The fact that his shooting has improved is a sign of growth obviously.

This isn't your local rec league this is the top league in the world, getting better takes time.

ink
12-26-2013, 01:50 AM
Give him some time, he could surprise given his drive and athleticism. He needs to learn the game at this level.

djsunyc
12-26-2013, 02:17 PM
light hasn't turned on yet. he's still somewhat timid and still trying to find his voice in the league. once he gets *it* tho, he can do some damage. he needs a pg that can find him tho.

Sly Guy
12-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Not sure. He really has everything talent wise. He can shoot, slash, and defend.

Needs to bulk up and have a more of a hunger to play.

This is my major concern also. He has the tools to be great, but he has to want to be great as well. I look at him with Derozan as his comparable. Dero came in as the same type of project; a very athletic guy lacking some finesse skills. Dero as we've seen has been hungry to grow and improve. If Ross show's the same thing, then he's a definite keeper. I think/hope him being around Dero and Amir will only help his development in that way.

BALLER R
12-26-2013, 04:02 PM
This is my major concern also. He has the tools to be great, but he has to want to be great as well. I look at him with Derozan as his comparable. Dero came in as the same type of project; a very athletic guy lacking some finesse skills. Dero as we've seen has been hungry to grow and improve. If Ross show's the same thing, then he's a definite keeper. I think/hope him being around Dero and Amir will only help his development in that way.

Ross show flashes of finesse. Remember when demar use to drive he just went straight into whoever was there. But compare that to how Ross drives. I think if he put in the same amount of work Demar does he will be the better player by far. Demar is a player that can overpower you with his strength, Ross on the other hand will develop into a more crafty player.

Sly Guy
12-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Ross show flashes of finesse. Remember when demar use to drive he just went straight into whoever was there. But compare that to how Ross drives. I think if he put in the same amount of work Demar does he will be the better player by far. Demar is a player that can overpower you with his strength, Ross on the other hand will develop into a more crafty player.

I don't doubt that either. Ross had more basketball skills coming into the league than demar. I just like to compare the two because they are/were both far from complete coming in, and a certain mentality is required to get better. Demar would go into an offseason and come back with a new skill we hadn't seen before out of him, year after year. If Ross can follow a similar trend, he can be a really outstanding player in this league.

ink
12-26-2013, 05:44 PM
light hasn't turned on yet. he's still somewhat timid and still trying to find his voice in the league. once he gets *it* tho, he can do some damage. he needs a pg that can find him tho.

Well put.

GodsSon
12-26-2013, 06:14 PM
How can anyone be disappointed with Ross so far? The guy hasn't even played 1.5 seasons yet (and with spotty minutes to boot).

As far as the Mo Pete comparison goes, I don't see it at all. Peterson had nowhere near the athleticism or first step that Ross does and no semblance of a dribble-drive game; he was a just a solid 3+D guy in the L.

Ross has the ability and natural talent to be more than that (and IMO will be more then that).

Time will tell if he reaches his potential.

Raps08-09 Champ
12-26-2013, 06:49 PM
He needs to put on weight to maximize his ability to get to the rim. He looks scared sometimes. A few years should get him to the weight he should be at.

pebloemer
12-27-2013, 07:30 AM
He needs to put on weight to maximize his ability to get to the rim. He looks scared sometimes. A few years should get him to the weight he should be at.

He needs weight to maximize his defensive abilities too. He has the lateral quicks and awareness to be a solid defender, he just needs strength and experience defending the athletes of the NBA.

I'm actually more excited about what Ross could do defensively then offensively. Hopefully he has the drive to succeed. He has the necessary tools to have a very long career.

bartron_44
12-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Ross has had some very good games so far, but just isn't consistent yet. He needs to simply keep working like DD has, and in another year or 2 he could be a pretty darn good player. He already has range on his jumper out past the 3pt line, and that is usually the last thing to come for guys as athletic as he is.

I agree with the people on here though that his game is pretty darn weak right now off of the dribble. He can't pull up and knock down jumpers, and if there is anyone standing between him and the basket he doesn't attack the rim very often, or show a very good finishing ability in traffic. He is athletic, but he isn't a "slasher". If he can simply improve his shooting off of one or two dribbles once he gets chased off the 3pt line though, he could be a very effective player. Not so sure about him and DD being a very good pairing though. neither of them is very good at breaking people down off the dribble, unless they get a solid screen.

smith&wesson
12-28-2013, 04:59 PM

I agree, I think he's really frail right now. Added size and strength, I think can help his game lots.

BALLER R
12-28-2013, 05:14 PM
I will wait till he's in his 3rd season before I made a serious judgement on him as a player.

Freakazoid
12-28-2013, 05:42 PM
He can dribble, do you ever see him dribble off his foot or get stripped? Nope.

I don't understand why your expectations are way out of whack he's a shooter not a slasher man. That's like complaining about Demar not being able to hit 3's, that's not his game.

You seem to be upset that Ross is not like James Harden, lol.

Disagree. Synergy says he's about average on D overall and in the top 50 in important areas like guarding the P&R.

He's still learning the game at the NBA lvl, he's not a finished product. & he doesn't do that all the time.

You're selling him short for sure. Being a gifted athlete with a jumpshot is enough to get you a starting spot on the Spurs (Danny Green).

Dude, 1 thing at a time. A player isn't just going to magically put it all together and become a top 10 player at their position playing only 18mpg. Ross hasn't had nearly enough PT yet. The fact that his shooting has improved is a sign of growth obviously.

This isn't your local rec league this is the top league in the world, getting better takes time.

I would be careful about using Synergy for a player that barely plays. They've only tracked 27 possessions for him for the pick and roll. That's a ridiculously small sample size.

While I'm not that disappointed by his development, the fact that he's not like Harden bums me out especially when we passed up on Drummond. I mean, it's not like Bryan didn't know. He did say that Drummond had superstar qualities. Oh well, gotta make do.

albertajaysfan
12-28-2013, 08:25 PM
I think the more important question is how he can develop into a useful player.

I get it he was taken 8th overall and you hope for something pretty solid in that slot. But I think as fans we need to be realistic about a few things.

For starters where is he right now. I think that if for starters he focuses on defense and 3 pt shooting he becomes a very useful rotational player. Top 3 wing player for the team. Once that is accomplished then you worry about improving handles.

On top of that why are we so concerned about our entire backcourt needing to be able to handle the ball? Have we all forgotten what happened when we had 3 backcourt players that need the ball in their hands to be effective? Because the answer to that question is that we sucked.

We need a balanced roster.

In regards to the OPs question. I see Ross developing to a perfect complimentary wing player. A player who can catch and shoot, above average defender and above average wing rebounder. We do have a need for such a player.

I am hoping he can be a combination of the good characteristics of Novak and Fields.

smith&wesson
12-28-2013, 09:26 PM
I think the more important question is how he can develop into a useful player.

I get it he was taken 8th overall and you hope for something pretty solid in that slot. But I think as fans we need to be realistic about a few things.

For starters where is he right now. I think that if for starters he focuses on defense and 3 pt shooting he becomes a very useful rotational player. Top 3 wing player for the team. Once that is accomplished then you worry about improving handles.

On top of that why are we so concerned about our entire backcourt needing to be able to handle the ball? Have we all forgotten what happened when we had 3 backcourt players that need the ball in their hands to be effective? Because the answer to that question is that we sucked.

We need a balanced roster.

In regards to the OPs question. I see Ross developing to a perfect complimentary wing player. A player who can catch and shoot, above average defender and above average wing rebounder. We do have a need for such a player.

I am hoping he can be a combination of the good characteristics of Novak and Fields.

well put, I also think we have a need for that type of player.

FriedTofuz
12-28-2013, 11:53 PM
He needs to do more than shoot 3s and defense. I want to see more offense from other spots on the floor, more driving to the rim and definitely more playmaking.

R. Johnson#3
12-29-2013, 03:53 PM
He needs to do more than shoot 3s and defense. I want to see more offense from other spots on the floor, more driving to the rim and definitely more playmaking.

This. Except his defence isn't good.

He's completely one-dimensional right now. When I criticized his dribbling before I didn't word it properly. I know he's physically able to dribble it's just that he can't beat anyone or create anything off the dribble. He always goes sideways and/or right into traffic then picks it up.

Let me clear something up, I don't think Terrence Ross will be a "bust", I think he'll be an alright player in the NBA but nothing more than that. If we can find a GM who's as high on him as some Raptor fans are then we pull the trigger. We pull the trigger instantly.

koreancabbage
12-29-2013, 05:27 PM

He's completely one-dimensional right now. When I criticized his dribbling before I didn't word it properly. I know he's physically able to dribble it's just that he can't beat anyone or create anything off the dribble. He always goes sideways and/or right into traffic then picks it up.

Let me clear something up, I don't think Terrence Ross will be a "bust", I think he'll be an alright player in the NBA but nothing more than that. If we can find a GM who's as high on him as some Raptor fans are then we pull the trigger. We pull the trigger instantly.

i think you;re a minority in this manner. yes he needs to find other was to do something offensively 'frequently' (as he has shown some driving and hitting the mid range jumpshot), but it's his second year in the league.

Whats the point of trading him now? he's increased his 3 point shooting to over 40%, which is spectacular. and his FG% has gone up. what are we trading him for? what is this need to trade him? b/c he's still on his rookie contract and we are going to be under the cap soon in the next few years.

Are we just trading him b/c he isn't as effective as Andrew Drummond?

djsunyc
12-29-2013, 06:02 PM

MPG: 29.1
PPG: 14.4
RPG: 3.6
AST: 1.0
STL: 0.7
FG% .450%
3P%: .491%

his #'s as a starter the past 9 games. that's right - 49% from 3. this guy could be a shane battier type guy but alot better offensively.

koreancabbage
12-29-2013, 06:57 PM
MPG: 29.1
PPG: 14.4
RPG: 3.6
AST: 1.0
STL: 0.7
FG% .450%
3P%: .491%

his #'s as a starter the past 9 games. that's right - 49% from 3. this guy could be a shane battier type guy but alot better offensively.

jokingly he could be a reincarnation of righty Mo Pete lol I remember Mo Pete throwing down some nasty dunks in his younger years.

rapsjaysfan88
12-30-2013, 12:22 PM
jokingly he could be a reincarnation of righty Mo Pete lol I remember Mo Pete throwing down some nasty dunks in his younger years.

true but his athletic ability is off the charts, unlike mo. if dd teaches him to get 2 the line 6 ish times a game then we really might have something.

Jamiecballer
12-30-2013, 12:25 PM

that's my comparison. he's Morris Peterson with a slightly higher ceiling IMO.

albertajaysfan
12-30-2013, 06:05 PM

I would argue that he actually doesn't need to do more. If we are trying to make him into our star then sure he needs to do more.

But I would argue as well that you need to learn to look at what is not what could be. Then extrapolate from that position. It leads to much more realistic projections as well as goals.

From what I have seen Ross is going to be an excellent complimentary wing as I stated above. If he makes that target quickly than you push for more. At least that is how I would build a team.

Jamiecballer
12-30-2013, 06:12 PM
I would argue that he actually doesn't need to do more. If we are trying to make him into our star then sure he needs to do more.

But I would argue as well that you need to learn to look at what is not what could be. Then extrapolate from that position. It leads to much more realistic projections as well as goals.

From what I have seen Ross is going to be an excellent complimentary wing as I stated above. If he makes that target quickly than you push for more. At least that is how I would build a team.

Very well stated

BALLER R
12-30-2013, 06:26 PM
that's my comparison. he's Morris Peterson with a slightly higher ceiling IMO.

Not sure about that comparison I never understood it. He's not much like MoPete. I see him as more in the mold of a Jason Richardson type player.

djsunyc
12-30-2013, 08:04 PM
alberts said it. no need to rush his development.

right now park his ***** at the 3 point line and tell him to keep shooting. dude is on fire.

next, he will learn to pump fake it and take a dribble in for a pull up.

more importantly, and its' something he can do right away, is to stop jumping at shooters and just close out.

i am very excited about his prospects. he has the type of game that can start on any nba team that plays any style.

Jamiecballer
12-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Not sure about that comparison I never understood it. He's not much like MoPete. I see him as more in the mold of a Jason Richardson type player.

i don't know. he's rangy, slender, and gets about half his points from beyond the arc. and like Peterson, he's considered toolsy without any one particularly dominant ability. sort of a jack of all trades. again, sounds like Peterson, at least at the moment.

but that was just what i thought was most realistic, not necessarily optimistic. his one big advantage over Peterson is athleticism so he may very well be capable of more.

gwrighter
12-31-2013, 01:09 AM
i don't know. he's rangy, slender, and gets about half his points from beyond the arc. and like Peterson, he's considered toolsy without any one particularly dominant ability. sort of a jack of all trades. again, sounds like Peterson, at least at the moment.

but that was just what i thought was most realistic, not necessarily optimistic. his one big advantage over Peterson is athleticism so he may very well be capable of more.

From what I've seen Ross is a shooter through & through. He reminds me of Danny Green, Wesley Matthews or Klay Thompson type players.

The difference is that he's more athletic than all of those guys so it's hard to tell where his ceiling is.

Heediot
12-31-2013, 08:29 AM
I don't see the Mo-Pete comparisons. Maybe a small fraction but that's about it.

Jamiecballer
12-31-2013, 09:13 AM
I don't see the Mo-Pete comparisons. Maybe a small fraction but that's about it.

i gave you my reasons, which ones in particular do you disagree with?

Jamiecballer
12-31-2013, 09:41 AM
here's a couple more MoPete/Terrence Ross similarities

Per 36 mins

Peterson --- Ross

rebounds 4.6 --- 4.3
steals 1.2 --- 1.1
assists 2.0 --- 1.4

fg% .418 --- .415
3% .373 --- .363

add to that the similarity in physical stature and the fact that they both get/got half their buckets from 3 and it looks like a pretty good comparison to me.

Heediot
12-31-2013, 11:11 AM
i gave you my reasons, which ones in particular do you disagree with?

Mo-Pete was a three point shooter. He was decent defensively so that may be comparable, but Ross has more lateral quickness probably less awareness at this point. Mo-Pete is not the same athlete and I think Ross has better potential as a slasher. Mo-Pete was a average starter at best, Ross has the potential to be an above average starter and like Lowry can possibly be a fringe all-star. Mo-Pete over-achieved, but never really had all-star potential. It's hard to find some one in the NBA at the 2 guard position to compare him to. Some one mentioned J-Rich, I think Ross = better defensive potential less explosiveness offensively. Prime J-Rich was a top 3 athlete and averaged 21-23 PPG. Not sure Ross can get that high but he may be a little bit better on the efficiency. But this is all on projected potential, Mo=Pete is a finished product with a retired career we can look back upon. I might be just as wrong in my projection of Ross in comparison to others.

Jamiecballer
12-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Mo-Pete was a three point shooter. He was decent defensively so that may be comparable, but Ross has more lateral quickness probably less awareness at this point. Mo-Pete is not the same athlete and I think Ross has better potential as a slasher. Mo-Pete was a average starter at best, Ross has the potential to be an above average starter and like Lowry can possibly be a fringe all-star. Mo-Pete over-achieved, but never really had all-star potential. It's hard to find some one in the NBA at the 2 guard position to compare him to. Some one mentioned J-Rich, I think Ross = better defensive potential less explosiveness offensively. Prime J-Rich was a top 3 athlete and averaged 21-23 PPG. Not sure Ross can get that high but he may be a little bit better on the efficiency. But this is all on projected potential, Mo=Pete is a finished product with a retired career we can look back upon. I might be just as wrong in my projection of Ross in comparison to others.

i guess you are going more off of what you'd like to see him do with the tools he has

ink
12-31-2013, 02:12 PM
I don't see the MoPete comparisons either, mainly because TRoss' athleticism is something MP never had. Plus, TRoss is so undeveloped it's hard to read anything from the limited stats we have.

What I do know is that a player like TRoss can slip into any lineup as a very successful role player and I like his potential to stay with the Raptors in that focused capacity better than DDs chances of staying with the Raps as lead scorer.

albertajaysfan
12-31-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't see the MoPete comparisons either, mainly because TRoss' athleticism is something MP never had. Plus, TRoss is so undeveloped it's hard to read anything from the limited stats we have.

What I do know is that a player like TRoss can slip into any lineup as a very successful role player and I like his potential to stay with the Raptors in that focused capacity better than DDs chances of staying with the Raps as lead scorer.

Couldn't agree more on that part. I see Derozan being used as bait in the offseason.

Jamiecballer
12-31-2013, 08:16 PM
athleticism has to be used for something in order to be useful. his athleticism gives him the ability to be more than a morris peterson but until he uses it in useful ways on the court it doesn't really change anything IMO.

sounds like..... wait for it..... a Morris Peterson type player!

i get that nobody wants a Morris Peterson with the 8th pick in the draft but if the differentiating factor is athleticism and it's primarily demonstrated with the occasional highlight dunk it's about as relevant as talking up Andrea for his ability to get to the free throw line.

ink
12-31-2013, 08:25 PM
athleticism has to be used for something in order to be useful. his athleticism gives him the ability to be more than a morris peterson but until he uses it in useful ways on the court it doesn't really change anything IMO.

He's learning how to use it. His development right now is largely mental. The flashes of skill that we see are way beyond anything MoPete showed IMO.

sounds like..... wait for it..... a Morris Peterson type player!

I wasn't ever a MoPete fan. He didn't seem that successful to me.

Jamiecballer
12-31-2013, 08:28 PM
He's learning how to use it. His development right now is largely mental. The flashes of skill that we see are way beyond anything MoPete showed IMO.

i agree.

I wasn't ever a MoPete fan. He didn't seem that successful to me.

and yet he was a jack of all trades who could fit in with just about any group and contribute as a role player which is exactly what you labeled Ross, that's all i'm saying.

ink
12-31-2013, 08:30 PM
and yet he was a jack of all trades who could fit in with just about any group and contribute as a role player which is exactly what you labeled Ross, that's all i'm saying.

OK I get what you mean.

Jamiecballer
12-31-2013, 08:38 PM
OK I get what you mean.

i don't mean to be a bucket of cold water on people's enthusiasm all the time. he could certainly be more than Morris Peterson on steriods. i just try to look more at what someone does than what they are capable of doing, because i think more often than not it's a better predictor of what they will become. doesn't make it right all the time, not even close. as usual it's what the player learns after draft day and how hard they work to apply it that ultimately counts.

ink
12-31-2013, 08:43 PM
i don't mean to be a bucket of cold water on people's enthusiasm all the time. he could certainly be more than Morris Peterson on steriods. i just try to look more at what someone does than what they are capable of doing, because i think more often than not it's a better predictor of what they will become. doesn't make it right all the time, not even close. as usual it's what the player learns after draft day and how hard they work to apply it that ultimately counts.

I strongly agree with that approach. Keeps us from making the mistakes we saw made with Bargnani and Gay. But this kid does some amazing things ... and I'm not just talking about high flyers. We've just seen him in such limited situations it's hard to predict.

Anyway, I'm glad to see him get the minutes he's starting to get now. He's earned them.

MoneyBall20
01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
I strongly agree with that approach. Keeps us from making the mistakes we saw made with Bargnani and Gay. But this kid does some amazing things ... and I'm not just talking about high flyers. We've just seen him in such limited situations it's hard to predict.

Anyway, I'm glad to see him get the minutes he's starting to get now. He's earned them.

Terrence Ross reminds me of Jason Richardson,just give this kid time,he looks like his got plenty of talent.

mike_noodles
01-01-2014, 02:30 PM
I would say at this point that if he compares to MoPete, I think that is his floor. His ceiling, who knows? He has all of the tools to be a very good player in this league, but so do alotta guys. The jury is still out on him, hell look how long it took Derozan. I hate the idea of moving him. I love the idea of him playing significant minutes AND having the team win ball games. If we can actually go .500 on the season AND have Val and Ross in the starting lineup, I would consider that a successful season and something to build off of (and maybe even around).

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 07:17 PM
I would say at this point that if he compares to MoPete, I think that is his floor. His ceiling, who knows? He has all of the tools to be a very good player in this league, but so do alotta guys. The jury is still out on him, hell look how long it took Derozan. I hate the idea of moving him. I love the idea of him playing significant minutes AND having the team win ball games. If we can actually go .500 on the season AND have Val and Ross in the starting lineup, I would consider that a successful season and something to build off of (and maybe even around).

+1

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 07:18 PM

I think the mo pete comparison was fair and realistic. I also think we all hope that he will be better even if were being more optimistic than realistic.

FlakeyFool
01-02-2014, 08:43 PM
He played some pretty good d on george yesterday

smith&wesson
01-02-2014, 10:59 PM

against one of the best wing men in the league too... not bad for a rook.

firebryan!!
01-03-2014, 12:06 AM
i never really like ross an hated that pick!! but yesterday he was playing out of his mind an it was awesome to watch!!

R. Johnson#3
01-03-2014, 10:07 AM

Even I'll admit, he looked really damn good.

GrumpyOldMan
01-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Masai is the one who has to figure out if Ross should come off the bench, can start at the 3 day in and day out or if he should be traded when his value is at it's highest for a young SF. For what it's worth my opinion is that he will wear down playing SF. I would love him as a sixth man to fill in at both the 2 and 3 for 15 minutes or so per game at each spot. Unfortunately he is our best option at SF right now. I hope I'm wrong, but I worry about the wear and tear associated with guarding the big, athletic SFs in the league catching up with him.

djsunyc
01-03-2014, 12:23 PM
ross played good d on durant as well until they called 2 quick fouls on him.

and i would to refer to him as t-ross the boss from now on, thank you very much.

Bob_at_york
01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
against one of the best wing men in the league too... not bad for a rook.
Except he isn't a rookie.

Sly Guy
01-03-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm loving the way TRoss is playing. And it makes me laugh at the Aflalo for Ross trade scenario being reported by Orlando....I really don't think Masai is looking to deal any of our core guys right now.

Bob_at_york
01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
I'm loving the way TRoss is playing. And it makes me laugh at the Aflalo for Ross trade scenario being reported by Orlando....I really don't think Masai is looking to deal any of our core guys right now.

what makes that rumour funny?

pulzar
01-03-2014, 12:53 PM
I don't find it funny, I find it scary. Up to now, Masai has been planning for the future, with a fortunate side-effects of having a good team now. I don't want him starting to trade the other way... especially with Ross starting to shown signs of a good player.

North Yorker
01-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Masai is the one who has to figure out if Ross should come off the bench, can start at the 3 day in and day out or if he should be traded when his value is at it's highest for a young SF. For what it's worth my opinion is that he will wear down playing SF. I would love him as a sixth man to fill in at both the 2 and 3 for 15 minutes or so per game at each spot. Unfortunately he is our best option at SF right now. I hope I'm wrong, but I worry about the wear and tear associated with guarding the big, athletic SFs in the league catching up with him.

It would be awesome if we could land MKG without giving up one of our starting 5. 3 man wing rotation of DeRozan/MKG/Ross is a pretty well-rounded group.

Problem is Charlotte is looking for immediate help and not picks. MKG is on the way out and Taylor is done for the season so they need wing help. The best we could probably offer without giving up 1 of our starting 5 is probably Salmons+ a 1st for MKG+filler (Pargo works). Not sure they do that, it's possible though I guess since Salmons is playing pretty good right now and they are losing their 2014 1st to Chicago this year.

bartron_44
01-03-2014, 01:42 PM
TRoss as a starter over 11 games (averaging 29.9mpg):

14 ppg
4 rpg
45.7 FG%
46.8 3Pt%
90.0 FT%

Those are very solid numbers for a guy who is a 4th option (at best) in our starting lineup. He is shooting the lights out from downtown, he is playing inspired defense against opposing teams best wing players, and he can knock down FT's. Once he puts on a little more muscle, he should be able to drive to the basket as well with his first step and ability to jump out of the gym. I don't him he (or Jonas) should be going anywhere...

Canadian_5abi
01-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Ross, Val, DD, Amir.....should no be touched and we should make a bid for Kyle in the off season

Sly Guy
01-03-2014, 02:23 PM
what makes that rumour funny?

cuz it doesn't strike me as something that would have any traction with Masai. I don't see him pulling the trigger on a deal that would have us gunning for a 'ship this year. His job isn't in jeopardy, these guys are gelling right now, he's in a position of power in making any deals. I really don't think trading youth for veteran leadership is something in our best interest at this point. That's the kind of deal you want to make to put you over the top. We're not at the top, we're playing well, but I don't think anyone has any allusions that we're going to the finals this year, so there's no sense in making a deal like that.

Aflalo is a quality, piece, no doubt, but not one we need at this point in our team's development.

MoneyBall20
01-03-2014, 10:55 PM
What really impresses me about ross is his Defense, second year player..wow.
His their best shut down defender,his a keeper.
Big fan of players that play great D.

Tmath
01-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Glad he is shutting up the Drummond nut huggers.

gwrighter
01-03-2014, 11:49 PM

+10000

Raps08-09 Champ
01-04-2014, 02:25 AM

I do not think it will last though.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-04-2014, 02:25 AM
What really impresses me about ross is his Defense, second year player..wow.
His their best shut down defender,his a keeper.
Big fan of players that play great D.

Yea, he's shown some great potential all around, especially his defense.

If he ever becomes consistent, he will be a great player for this franchise.

Heediot
01-06-2014, 11:20 AM
The rest of his game will mature along with his body. He'll become more confident.

phoenix_bladen
01-06-2014, 04:29 PM
i like ross and i think he's a very important piece moving forward

at the beginning of the season he still was a mystery

but i think with his recent play his stock has definitely risen.

R. Johnson#3
01-07-2014, 02:07 AM
I do not think it will last though.

I'll be at the game live on Wednesday!

bartron_44
02-24-2014, 02:58 PM
I almost started a new thread on Ross, and then remembered we already had one not that long ago so decided to bump this one instead....

Terrence Ross is turning into a great perimeter defender. He guards the opponents best perimeter scoring threat pretty much every night, and is starting to shut guys down pretty regularly.

I'm still not ready to say he will be a better player than Andre Drummond long term (as Drummond is turning into a beast), but he was a pick taken for team need....which at the time was a solid perimeter defender who could make 3's to team with Demar Derozan. For those needs, he looks like he was a solid choice...

Could TRoss turn into one of the best wing defenders at his size?

Bob_at_york
02-24-2014, 03:21 PM
I remember when he was drafted the thing i kept on hearing was how great his defensive potential was. He is finally starting to show that potential.

Raps Insider 12
02-24-2014, 03:29 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terrence-Ross-5747/

While Ross isn't much of a threat going to the basket with the ball in his hands in the half court, he's still very dangerous getting to the rim in other ways, namely on cuts, offensive rebounds, and in transition. His size, speed, and terrific explosiveness make him very dangerous in all of these areas, and he shows good instincts here as well when he puts them to use. His expanded offensive role this season and reliance on his perimeter skills somewhat limits what he can contribute off the ball going to the rim, and he may need to make this area of his game more of an emphasis initially at the next level.

The defensive end may be the area where Ross has improved most as a sophomore, as he's been much more consistent in applying himself, being a real terror both on and off the ball. Ross' size and athleticism allow him to be a superb defender in isolation, and he's combined those tools with the aggressiveness needed this season. He plays right up into his man and moves his feet well to stay in front, but his excellent recovery speed allows him to frequently extend himself and still get back in time, making him a very disruptive force.

Ross shows similar ability defending his man off the ball, sticking with him all over the floor through screens and taking full advantage of his physical tools. He's a good team defender and really puts in the work on this end of the floor overall, something that coaches will surely find attractive when they start evaluating prospects come pre-draft time.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2uGlGzH79
http://www.draftexpress.com

It's nice to read pre draft assessment of players and how they have developed.

Raps0verAll10
02-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I agree with your sixth man thoughts. Lots of really good and important players come off the bench and can play both the 2 and 3 in a pinch. I think that is where he is best suited.

I agree with this... Look what James Harden has turned into. I think Ross could follow the same path with the difference being that he's getting starting experience in really early in his career.

I really love this kid and his talent! Like it was mentioned before he just needs to improve that mental side of his game, beef himself up a little more in the summer, and just continue holding building/maintaining a high level of confidence.

Ross has also gotta start driving in the lane more (trying to draw fouls) to mix up his game a little more. If he can do that and what was said above.... This kid is destined to be a future All Star I promise you!

I would love for Ross to stay in TO in the long run (I don't even care if we already got DD.)

smith&wesson
02-24-2014, 03:47 PM
I strongly disagree with the 6th man notion. best perimeter defender does not come off the bench. He starts and defends the opposing teams best wing player.
6th men usually are guys who come off the bench and provide a scoring punch, a spark.. Ross is not a consistent enough scorer to fill that role yet.

sefalosha started over harden for defensive reasons too.

pebloemer
02-24-2014, 04:14 PM
I strongly disagree with the 6th man notion. best perimeter defender does not come off the bench. He starts and defends the opposing teams best wing player.
6th men usually are guys who come off the bench and provide a scoring punch, a spark.. Ross is not a consistent enough scorer to fill that role yet.

I kinda of agree. I think he is more valuable as a starting role player than a 6th man to be honest. He's going to carve whatever role regardless based on his play, but his all around abilities fit well as a complementary piece.

The reality is he could probably fill either role based on his skill set, but we haven't quite seen him put the pieces together consistently enough to place him anywhere.

Raps0verAll10
02-24-2014, 04:19 PM

"Yet" being the key word there. You and I both have seen how he can shoot the lights out when his confidence is high. Keep in mind that he's still young and very early into his career... Big things are coming for this kid! I'm excited to continue watch him as he continues to grow in this league.

Rego247
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Derozan started in his rookie season and he settled into his role just fine.

The kid plays better in the starting lineup, just leave him be.

Raps0verAll10
02-24-2014, 04:28 PM
I remember when he was drafted the thing i kept on hearing was how great his defensive potential was. He is finally starting to show that potential.

Agree. God bless his athleticism and hustle!

smith&wesson
02-24-2014, 05:02 PM
"Yet" being the key word there. You and I both have seen how he can shoot the lights out when his confidence is high. Keep in mind that he's still young and very early into his career... Big things are coming for this kid! I'm excited to continue watch him as he continues to grow in this league.

when he becomes a consistent scorer along with the fact that he is already our best perimiter defender, that will make him a great two way player.

plain and simple, he is our best perimiter defender. I want him gaurding the opposing teams best wing player, not derozan.

I have no problem with slamons coming off the bench. he is a good all around player who can do a bit of everything .I like him on the 2nd unit.

ink
02-24-2014, 05:08 PM

I kinda of agree. I think he is more valuable as a starting role player than a 6th man to be honest. He's going to carve whatever role regardless based on his play, but his all around abilities fit well as a complementary piece.

The reality is he could probably fill either role based on his skill set, but we haven't quite seen him put the pieces together consistently enough to place him anywhere.

From draft night on I've said he could be like a Michael Finley type. Not a replica but more of the 3&D man who could also develop into an offensive force. We don't really know what TRoss' ceiling is yet.

smith&wesson
02-24-2014, 05:09 PM

gvz, salmons, pp has worked well together. Those three already have great chemistry. I donít see why we would need to change something that isnít broken.
Also, we saw a huge difference in tross this season in comparison to last season when he came off the bench. Clearly the minutes are doing him good, He is slowly but surely improving and becoming more confident. Sending him back to the bench would be a mistake.

smith&wesson
02-24-2014, 05:15 PM
From draft night on I've said he could be like a Michael Finley type. Not a replica but more of the 3&D man who could also develop into an offensive force. We don't really know what TRoss' ceiling is yet.

Not sure what kind of player he will be when reaching his peak. Could be an allstar or simply a solid starter. But I do know that he has looked way more comftorable in the starting unit. I like the finley comparison. Finley was very athletic in his earlier years like ross. Good d, nice range. If ross can reach that level I would be very content. I like finleys game alot in his prime.

Also tross compliments derozan very well. Kinda has all the tools that derozan lacks. A consistant perimiter defender, has a consistent long range shot. Can play off the ball etc. I even think he has better handles, and is a better creator.

djsunyc
02-24-2014, 05:38 PM
i think he's underutilized on offense. his pick and roll is surprising as he seems to always find an open big.

smith&wesson
02-24-2014, 05:44 PM
i think he's underutilized on offense. his pick and roll is surprising as he seems to always find an open big.

I blame casey for that. Also this gives the raps even more reason to keep him in the starting unit. Feed jonas, create for the bigs.

Raps0verAll10
02-24-2014, 06:35 PM

I disagree. He gets the looks... The thing (like I said before) is that he needs to work on driving to the basket and trying to draw fouls like DD has learned to do well... If he can do that, then our team will be real dangerous to opponents.

Kyle, DD, Ross, and don't forget JV can get it going too. We also have a nicee bench now so all in all there are a lot more options for this team to do work!

MoneyBall20
02-24-2014, 06:58 PM
My favorite raptor player.
He will be a star,Dwayne Casey needs 2 know his role and play the kid.
His one sick player,raptors are lucky 2 have him.
Enjoy the best dunks from T Ross.

Terrence Ross Best Dunks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w4YmeQoVfxI

Raps0verAll10
02-24-2014, 07:05 PM
LOL just makes you think... BC did something right! lol

TorontoHuskies
02-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Ross is a less athletic, smaller, poor man's Andrew Wiggins....BTW That's a compliment.

Raps Insider 12
02-24-2014, 07:57 PM
Yup BC did left some footprints. Massai did some housecleaning :).

nba_4_life
02-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Ross is a less athletic, smaller, poor man's Andrew Wiggins....BTW That's a compliment.

How's Wiggins defense? Haven't seen him play this year. I am more interested in a person that has NBA experience that has slowed down/ shut down star players (Beal/Irving/Wall/PG etc) than a player that has 0 minutes played in the NBA.

Freakazoid
02-24-2014, 08:16 PM
How's Wiggins defense? Haven't seen him play this year. I am more interested in a person that has NBA experience that has slowed down/ shut down star players (Beal/Irving/Wall/PG etc) than a player that has 0 minutes played in the NBA.

Wiggins will be an above average defender from day 1 like MKG. That's probably the strongest aspect of his game right now.

nba_4_life
02-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Wiggins will be an above average defender from day 1 like MKG. That's probably the strongest aspect of his game right now.
In that case a pairing of Ross and Wiggins on the wing would be what I would target.

Freakazoid
02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
In that case a pairing of Ross and Wiggins on the wing would be what I would target.

Yeah but that pairing would only be possible in NBA 2k15 lol.

douac4
02-24-2014, 08:55 PM
I think the mo pete comparison was fair and realistic. I also think we all hope that he will be better even if were being more optimistic than realistic.
did mo pete ever drain 50 points in one game?

can demar & ross become next gen carter & mcgrady?

TorontoHuskies
02-24-2014, 09:07 PM

Wiggins is probably the best defender in NCAA at the 3...Scouts have said that he has the potential and length/athleticism to be one of the best defenders ever which is why It's so amusing when people say that a guy like Jabari Parker is better than him (ignoring how poor of a defender he is).

TorontoHuskies
02-24-2014, 09:09 PM

That would be disgusting lol...Wiggins wants to be a Raptor so maybe 5 years.

douac4
02-24-2014, 09:15 PM
That would be disgusting lol...Wiggins wants to be a Raptor so maybe 5 years.
well, if wiggins could bring embiid & selden with him ...

smith&wesson
02-25-2014, 03:22 AM

can demar & ross become next gen carter & mcgrady?

Charlie V dropped 48 for us once. He is doo doo. one game doesn't say much.. with that said though I think Tross will atleast be a very solid starter unlike popeye.

I don't think derozan and tross have any chance at reaching carter and tmac's respective peaks. Both at their best were superstars imo.

Six-8-TheWizard
02-25-2014, 04:30 AM

Charlie V dropped 48 for us once. He is doo doo. one game doesn't say much.. with that said though I think Tross will atleast be a very solid starter unlike popeye.

Brandon Jennings dropped 57 as a rookie too. Hell even Tony Delk had a 53 point game lol. One game doesn't mean anything

boilerguy2412
03-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I don't claim to be a basketball expert, i am a huge Raptors fan but don't care much for basketball if there not playing. With that said. With the way Ross has stepped up does anyone see some similarity's between Ross and Paul George's development. George is considered one of the NBA's best. So my question is, do you guys think Ross can get to George's level.

pebloemer
03-14-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't claim to be a basketball expert, i am a huge Raptors fan but don't care much for basketball if there not playing. With that said. With the way Ross has stepped up does anyone see some similarity's between Ross and Paul George's development. George is considered one of the NBA's best. So my question is, do you guys think Ross can get to George's level.

I really don't like the comparison with George. They are both great athletes that can defend and shoot, but Ross gives up a lot of size in the comparison. In addition, George entered the league really young. I'm thrilled with the development of Ross this year, but the George comparisons are reaching IMO.

I never want to say a player "can't" reach a certain level, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

On a different note:

How would you guys redraft these lottery wings from the 2012 draft?

MKG
Beal
Waiters
Barnes
Ross
Rivers
Lamb

gwrighter
03-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Terrence Ross in his AMA yesterday compared himself to Paul George. He said that they were a bit different but very similar players...

Ross also said that if there was one player he could play with for his entire career it would be Lowry.

BALLER R
03-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Terrence Ross in his AMA yesterday compared himself to Paul George. He said that they were a bit different but very similar players...

Ross also said that if there was one player he could play with for his entire career it would be Lowry.

Found that to be one of his most interesting replies.

gwrighter
03-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Found that to be one of his most interesting replies.

Yeah that was an interesting response but I guess it makes sense Lowry can do a bit of everything.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-14-2014, 12:24 PM
He has the tools but he needs to be more consistent if he wants to compare himself to George.

George and Ross are the same age so Ross needs some catching up to do in terms of development.

ghettosean
03-14-2014, 12:27 PM

This can't be true because according to everyone other than raptor fans Lowry is a cancer in the locker room. :facepalm:

So they must be right and Ross must be wrong.... I call lies!!!

LOL

Sanyo
03-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Ross is showing signs of breaking out. His shots are more smooth. He's driving a lot more than before. His defense is one of the best on the team. Can still make some fun dunks to complete the package.

He has been put into the starting lineup and is delivering more often than not now. That's when you know a player is maturing and putting in the work in the gym to improve.

gwrighter
03-14-2014, 01:07 PM
He has the tools but he needs to be more consistent if he wants to compare himself to George.

George and Ross are the same age so Ross needs some catching up to do in terms of development.

Consistency comes with experience to which George has more of obviously.

Mikeleafs
03-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Ray Allen/Tony Allen

djsunyc
03-14-2014, 02:36 PM
my man ross just needs more reps. he has found his voice...he can hit the 3...he can play defense...and he can also drop 50 in a game.

now all he needs is reps. more opportunities. a very underappreciated (or rarely mentioned) skill is his passing in the pick and roll. he makes it look very easy. he lays off quick drop passes to the bigs before they even start rolling. that takes instincts. he leads them to the basket. we only see that once in a while b/c we don't utilize him in that manner but he's very good at it - may be the 2nd best on the team after vasquez. i think he's basically an untouchable player at this point.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-14-2014, 03:08 PM
This can't be true because according to everyone other than raptor fans Lowry is a cancer in the locker room. :facepalm:

LOL

Raptors fans aren't saying that for the hell of it.

Lowry has had reputation of having an attitude, stemming from his college days. Maybe he has fixed his attitude but that doesn't mean people were wroing for saying he could be a cancer in the locker room.

Try again.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Consistency comes with experience to which George has more of obviously.

That's true. Though Ross' game is more volatile than I would like. He's strung together a few games though where he's been fairly consistent so that is a good sign.

gwrighter
03-14-2014, 03:12 PM
That's true. Though Ross' game is more volatile than I would like. He's strung together a few games though where he's been fairly consistent so that is a good sign.

He still has a ways to go but its not for a lack of tools holding him back like it was for Derozan. If he puts in half the work that Derozan puts in he can be a really good two-way player.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Well he was already putting in an hour after practice to work on his shooting. So hopefully that trend continues. Working with Derozan in the off season could help a lot too since Derozan is an absolute workhorse.

ghettosean
03-14-2014, 03:15 PM

LOL

Raptors fans aren't saying that for the hell of it.

Lowry has had reputation of having an attitude, stemming from his college days. Maybe he has fixed his attitude but that doesn't mean people were wroing for saying he could be a cancer in the locker room.

Try again.

What Raptor fans are saying Lowry is a cancer in the locker room??? Try what again???

Raps08-09 Champ
03-14-2014, 03:23 PM
What Raptor fans are saying Lowry is a cancer in the locker room??? Try what again???

Meant to say "Other fans", not "raptors fans". Typo.

douac4
03-14-2014, 09:56 PM
i can see vince carter as a good mentor for ross

koreancabbage
03-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Ross is getting better with his handles. He has deep crossovers and can turn sharply on those corners.

Freakazoid
03-15-2014, 12:48 AM
I really don't like the comparison with George. They are both great athletes that can defend and shoot, but Ross gives up a lot of size in the comparison. In addition, George entered the league really young. I'm thrilled with the development of Ross this year, but the George comparisons are reaching IMO.

I never want to say a player "can't" reach a certain level, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

On a different note:

How would you guys redraft these lottery wings from the 2012 draft?

MKG
Beal
Waiters
Barnes
Ross
Rivers
Lamb

Yeah, Ross' wingspan isn't very impressive either but he makes up for it with his lateral quickness. Sometimes it seems like he's just gliding, he moves so effortlessly.

Interesting question. Kind of hard to rank them because none of them have shown anything special beyond spurts. I would say:

1.Ross
2.Beal
3.Waiters
4.Barnes
5.Lamb
6.Rivers

pebloemer
03-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Yeah, Ross' wingspan isn't very impressive either but he makes up for it with his lateral quickness. Sometimes it seems like he's just gliding, he moves so effortlessly.

Interesting question. Kind of hard to rank them because none of them have shown anything special beyond spurts. I would say:

1.Ross
2.Beal
3.Waiters
4.Barnes
5.Lamb
6.Rivers

You missed MKG.

I think I still have Beal #1.
I'm losing faith in MKG, although I was a huge fan of his in college. He probably has more defensive potential than Ross, but that shot still looks really ugly.
Barnes doesn't have the mobility that Ross has and there are questions around Waiters attitude.

I'd probably go.

Beal
Ross
MKG
Barnes
Waiters
Lamb
Rivers

I had been really down on the Ross pick when it happened, but it is turning into a pleasant surprise.

Raps08-09 Champ
03-15-2014, 10:27 PM
MKG won't have a reliable shot, but he has the ability be a guy who can get to the line about +6 times a game and get to the basket.

MoneyBall20
03-24-2014, 08:06 PM

H@!# No..
Don't want 2 c that quitter on this team.
U want a mentor,u go sign Shane Battier,a real professional when it comes 2 game of basketball.

Vince Carter is garbage,last night Net's are playing the Mavs,Net's win..after the game Vince Carter is having a ball with Jason Kidd,laughing,no care for the respect of the game.
Mavs are trying 2 make the playoffs and his having a good time loosing.
No Thanks.

Ese Vato Loco
03-24-2014, 09:35 PM
in what ways?

Jamiecballer
03-24-2014, 10:57 PM
H@!# No..
U want a mentor,u go sign Shane Battier,a real professional when it comes 2 game of basketball.

Vince Carter is garbage,last night Net's are playing the Mavs,Net's win..after the game Vince Carter is having a ball with Jason Kidd,laughing,no care for the respect of the game.
No Thanks.
You're living in the past dude. Try watching his game with fresh eyes.

Abdul Mutalib
03-25-2014, 11:36 AM
in what ways?

we dont kno exactly what goes on in the locker room but it seems as tho he has accepted the veteran role in his latter days. I think he could serve as a similar/better option than a salmons, a sf off the bench for some scoring and some veteran leadership. It would also allow him the retire a raptor and finally bring closure to this whole carter giving up/leaving fiasco. This will also allow other players to see we take care of our own and make TO more desirable to those who disliked how we didnt respect carter's contribution to the culture.

djsunyc
03-25-2014, 11:44 AM
again with vince...we need vets that will push our players, not pat them on the back. vince is a pat on the back guy.

Abdul Mutalib
03-25-2014, 11:49 AM
ur right but if we have space on the roster for 3 back up pgs who almost get no-looks or offer and leadership than we can give VC a spot even if he is a "pat-on the back guy" just out of closure like i said

joshhorvath
03-25-2014, 12:00 PM
How do we know forsure that VC is a 'Pat-ya-on-the-back' kind of guy? because he went and talked with his former teammate in Jason Kidd when they played for the Nets..?

John Salmons comes off as a nice guy, but yet he's a good solid veteran presence.

VC is what this team needs, and would be a good mentor for our young players who had similar builds as VC.. see Ross/Derozan

smith&wesson
03-25-2014, 12:40 PM
How do we know forsure that VC is a 'Pat-ya-on-the-back' kind of guy? because he went and talked with his former teammate in Jason Kidd when they played for the Nets..?

John Salmons comes off as a nice guy, but yet he's a good solid veteran presence.

VC is what this team needs, and would be a good mentor for our young players who had similar builds as VC.. see Ross/Derozan

+1 vince will be better than salmons in the same role and will cost way less.

And we need a pat on the back guy, I dnt want some guy coming in throwing his weight around in the locker room and disrupting chemistry. I want a guy to come in and try to fit it and contribute to the growing culture Klow, Dero, and the core have built together so far.

smith&wesson
03-25-2014, 12:41 PM
ur right but if we have space on the roster for 3 back up pgs who almost get no-looks or offer and leadership than we can give VC a spot even if he is a "pat-on the back guy" just out of closure like i said

exactly, if carter comes cheap... like say for the vets min he can easily take one of their roster spots and contribute way more.

douac4
03-26-2014, 10:02 PM
H@!# No..

No Thanks.

I can understand the sentiment
Carter & Jamieson & look where the latter is now
I'm not really expecting carter to do much more than salmons in terms of what he can produce on the court
Just think he might be ideal as a mentor for Demar & Ross cuz there are similarities in the skill sets but carter's "body language" in his early years is the kind of intangible that could really raise the playing level of these two players

check out the fool's gold thread. consider the possibilities if demar & ross really deliver the promise of crater & mcgrady to the raptors

Freakazoid
03-26-2014, 10:04 PM
H@!# No..

No Thanks.

Yeah because basketball is not a game. Players need to have the body language of psychopathic serial killers. Give me a break.

MoneyBall20
03-27-2014, 11:47 AM
I apologize for going off topic on Lemar Carter,but common guys,really..everything is forgiven,wow..I remember all the crap I went through as fan when VC was in T.O,it wasn't fun.
Anyway, I know their is a lot of fans who forgive and forget,but I don't..I watched raptors since it began in T.O,their are plenty of guys who left,but I have no ill towards them,they did not Quit on their team,Vince Carter did. Roll model Vince Carter,not a good idea for Ross.
Raptors already have good roll model Chuck Hayes,Veteran who is always in the ear of Derozan or Ross,even Kyle Lowry.
When we compare Ross 2 Derozan,who has more Talent..for me it would be Ross,so talented.
I really liked when Coach Casey pulled him aside,sat him on the bench when he took some ill advised shots last night,came back in the game and played in the flow of the game.

smith&wesson
03-27-2014, 12:59 PM
I apologize for going off topic on Lemar Carter,but common guys,really..everything is forgiven,wow..I remember all the crap I went through as fan when VC was in T.O,it wasn't fun.
Anyway, I know their is a lot of fans who forgive and forget,but I don't..I watched raptors since it began in T.O,their are plenty of guys who left,but I have no ill towards them,they did not Quit on their team,Vince Carter did. Roll model Vince Carter,not a good idea for Ross.
Raptors already have good roll model Chuck Hayes,Veteran who is always in the ear of Derozan or Ross,even Kyle Lowry.
When we compare Ross 2 Derozan,who has more Talent..for me it would be Ross,so talented.
I really liked when Coach Casey pulled him aside,sat him on the bench when he took some ill advised shots last night,came back in the game and played in the flow of the game.

vince has matured since then. He is considered a bargain for what mark cuban pays him. Carter is a team player, willing to come off the bench for the betterment of the team. Mark cuban would be the first man to call vince carter out if he was a distraction, negative influence on the younger players, not focused, etc.

in any case, the only reason people consider vince is because he is an upgrade over salmons (if you watch him play its not even comparable) and he comes alot cheaper.. add the fact that the raptors have the all star game coming in a season or two and it would be a feel good story to be able to retire vince' jersey and have a good ending to what other wise was a pretty ugly break up.. fans are ready to move on. its time.

Now back to ross. Carter being a back up to ross or derozan would provide depth, not just mentorship.. but along with being a productive back up he could def provide some mentorship too. Vince can teach these young guys at the wing alot in terms of passing, closing out games, etc. he is a savy vet and has alot of experience young guys can absorb alot from. If it happends great, if it doesnt no big deal. but one things for sure its not about vince, its about this team and who would compliment them.. vince just so happends to be a decent candidate and would come cheap + on a shorter term deal.. which makes sense.

MoneyBall20
03-27-2014, 03:37 PM
vince has matured since then. He is considered a bargain for what mark cuban pays him. Carter is a team player, willing to come off the bench for the betterment of the team. Mark cuban would be the first man to call vince carter out if he was a distraction, negative influence on the younger players, not focused, etc.

in any case, the only reason people consider vince is because he is an upgrade over salmons (if you watch him play its not even comparable) and he comes alot cheaper.. add the fact that the raptors have the all star game coming in a season or two and it would be a feel good story to be able to retire vince' jersey and have a good ending to what other wise was a pretty ugly break up.. fans are ready to move on. its time.

Now back to ross. Carter being a back up to ross or derozan would provide depth, not just mentorship.. but along with being a productive back up he could def provide some mentorship too. Vince can teach these young guys at the wing alot in terms of passing, closing out games, etc. he is a savy vet and has alot of experience young guys can absorb alot from. If it happends great, if it doesnt no big deal. but one things for sure its not about vince, its about this team and who would compliment them.. vince just so happends to be a decent candidate and would come cheap + on a shorter term deal.. which makes sense.

I agree about the Solmons part,he is better then Solmons,I'll give u that.
It would be a tough sell for him 2 come back 2 T.O,it's been 10 years and media has try 2 put a face on Vince Carter as mature good guy,but fans don't forget and especially in Toronto,every time he comes 2 T.O they still boo him and dislike him.
Me personally I just can't,sorry..VC as mentor,can't c it.

Back 2 the topic..How good can Ross be.
He has beautiful shot,he just needs 2 take the ball 2 hoop more.
Hopefully off season,he works more on his game and become more of complete player.
He has the shot,defense,great dribble drive,all he needs is mid range game and look out.

smith&wesson
03-27-2014, 04:09 PM
I agree about the Solmons part,he is better then Solmons,I'll give u that.
It would be a tough sell for him 2 come back 2 T.O,it's been 10 years and media has try 2 put a face on Vince Carter as mature good guy,but fans don't forget and especially in Toronto,every time he comes 2 T.O they still boo him and dislike him.
Me personally I just can't,sorry..VC as mentor,can't c it.

Back 2 the topic..How good can Ross be.
He has beautiful shot,he just needs 2 take the ball 2 hoop more.
Hopefully off season,he works more on his game and become more of complete player.
He has the shot,defense,great dribble drive,all he needs is mid range game and look out.

agreed, I think with some experience and with some added strength it will all come together for him. I made this thread earlier on in the season when we still had gay and ross was almost a forgotten piece. his role has changed and grew since then.. we have seen him grow in to a very important part of the team now. namely the best perimiter defender we have and he is only in year two.